Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, BexKeps said:

Seconding this. For me it's my sister's habit of doing dishes, prepping dinner, loading the washer, whatever she is doing at the time that makes a shit-ton of noise while she's talking. It is so distracting! There have been times where I've said "why don't you call me back when you're finished" and she gets offended.  

Our daughter does exactly this.  Calls us, puts phone on speaker, then sets it down on the counter or something while she unloads dishwasher, or puts groceries away, or prepares dinner, etc.  Extremely annoying and loud!  She no longer has little kids at home...she's not THAT busy.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, isalicat said:

If someone hasn't recommended this already: Go with Uggs - the short bootie. They can be expensive if you buy them new at retail so if you are on a strict budget, go to eBay!

2 hours ago, Leeds said:

Sorry to be a party pooper, but Uggs are really not good for your feet (or your back), especially if you already have problems.

Thanks for the suggestion and the follow-up,  but I’m vegan—absolutely no Uggs for me (though per the doctor’s advice, I think they’d probably be OK with the graphite insert).

Still no pain. I hope this means a relatively quick recovery! I’ll cross my fingers (but not my toes because that is probably a really bad plan in this case). 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Our daughter does exactly this.  Calls us, puts phone on speaker, then sets it down on the counter or something while she unloads dishwasher, or puts groceries away, or prepares dinner, etc.  Extremely annoying and loud!  She no longer has little kids at home...she's not THAT busy.

My son used to call me during his lunch hour from work. He always went to a deli and got a sandwich or something but all could hear was traffic noise and pedestrians talking all around him. It bugged me but at least he called.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

Once had a friend who would hang up on you in mid sentence all the time. We were not friends for long. 

My sister used to do something similar.  Not hang up in mid sentence exactly but when she decided the conversation was over she would hang up.  No good bye or see ya or whatever.  Used to drive me crazy!

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

My sister used to do something similar.  Not hang up in mid sentence exactly but when she decided the conversation was over she would hang up.  No good bye or see ya or whatever.  Used to drive me crazy!

They do this on TV sometimes. Maybe that's where she got the habit?

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

They do this on TV sometimes. Maybe that's where she got the habit?

Could be I guess.  Lucky for her she never fell into the habit of leaving the house with the door wide open as happens so often on TV shows!

• LOL 5
Just now, Elizabeth Anne said:

Could be I guess.  Lucky for her she never fell into the habit of leaving the house with the door wide open as happens so often on TV shows!

Not to get too OT, but that cracks me up! It's especially ridiculous on shows where the characters have lots of enemies or very wealthy living in mansions. I'm a regular gal, and I keep my doors shut and locked and alarm on at all times. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Leeds said:

This is giving me horrible flashbacks to my mother- and sister-in-law who would do this and, worse, talk while mid chew.  Having been brought up in a culture with a strong emphasis on table manners, shared mealtimes were a nightmare for me.

Sorry to be a party pooper, but Uggs are really not good for your feet (or your back), especially if you already have problems.

Years ago, I had to take my daughter to a podiatrist and the first thing she said was, basically, ditch the Uggs.

This is worth a read, especially if you want to learn about "crumpet feet"!

https://talariapodiatrist.com.au/news/ugg-boot

My daughter is a huge Uggs wearer, I think they are the most uncomfortable footwear I've ever worn. Too hot, too flat, no traction, everything the article pointed out. 

18 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

That's what my sister does, on speaker by the cutting board, next to the dishwasher, on top of the washing machine.  All I hear is 'chop chop chop, rustle rustle rustle, clank, clunk, chang-chang, rustle, slam, bam.....'

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Love 1
On 11/15/2022 at 11:43 AM, BexKeps said:

Seconding this. For me it's my sister's habit of doing dishes, prepping dinner, loading the washer, whatever she is doing at the time that makes a shit-ton of noise while she's talking. It is so distracting! There have been times where I've said "why don't you call me back when you're finished" and she gets offended.  

I have a friend that does that only he also talks to everyone in his household while he's doing it including the dog, which makes it unbelievably annoying and hard on the ears because cell phones magnify every little inconsequential sound.  Then he gets annoyed when he calls me and I pick up the phone while eating dinner.  I told him if he doesn't like it stop calling me around dinner.  Oh, and payback's a bitch for all the incredibly annoying sounds he's made over the years on the phone!  He didn't like it when I told him that of course.  He's a dear old friend so it's all OK.  I just don't pick up the phone now when he calls around dinner time.

• Love 3

Pet peeve: Spam calls that wake me from a rainy-day nap in my cozy chair and snuggy blanket.

Pet pleasure: A tiny warmer plate (actually for melting scented wax) that kept my cup and its coffee perfectly warm while I dozed.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

Pet peeve: Spam calls that wake me from a rainy-day nap in my cozy chair and snuggy blanket.

Pet pleasure: A tiny warmer plate (actually for melting scented wax) that kept my cup and its coffee perfectly warm while I dozed.

I get a lot of spam texts.  I feel like I need to delete something daily!!  

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 11/15/2022 at 7:21 PM, Elizabeth Anne said:

On tv they never wash their hands just go straight to the fridge and grab drinks lol. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Ever since I was little, it has bugged me when people say that someone “is Spanish” even if they have no if that person comes from Spain or just speaks Spanish. It’s to the point where I almost automatically want to (over)correct anyone who says it, even if I don’t know if the person in question comes from Spain.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Ever since I was little, it has bugged me when people say that someone “is Spanish” even if they have no if that person comes from Spain or just speaks Spanish. It’s to the point where I almost automatically want to (over)correct anyone who says it, even if I don’t know if the person in question comes from Spain.

Maybe they’re worried that saying Hispanic of Latino is racist.  So “Spanish” meaning the individual speaks the language is used instead.  I think they don’t realize that this could be way worse.  It’s not like saying that someone like me is Chinese (even though my speaking skills are horrible and I’d be considered illiterate in the language) since it’s my ethnicity.  Though other Asians seem to think I’m whatever they are. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, PRgal said:

Maybe they’re worried that saying Hispanic of Latino is racist.  So “Spanish” meaning the individual speaks the language is used instead.  I think they don’t realize that this could be way worse.  It’s not like saying that someone like me is Chinese (even though my speaking skills are horrible and I’d be considered illiterate in the language) since it’s my ethnicity.  Though other Asians seem to think I’m whatever they are. 

When I had my flower shop, my assistant was Chinese. By that I mean she was from China. She hated Korean people. When I went to manage a different flower shop, there was a Korean woman working there so she refused to work in that shop. I couldn't understand it, really.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 3
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

When I had my flower shop, my assistant was Chinese. By that I mean she was from China. She hated Korean people. When I went to manage a different flower shop, there was a Korean woman working there so she refused to work in that shop. I couldn't understand it, really.

Politics.  Plus until maybe a few hundred (a thousand?) years ago, Korea didn't have their own written language - those who were educated (i.e. men from a certain class) were all taught in Chinese.  Think of it as Latin vs other languages spoken in the Roman Empire.  The only difference was that China didn't officially "colonize" other Asian countries (China's borders haven't really changed much in the past few thousand years.  As a huge country with a large landmass, they pretty much had a lot of resources domestically).

Don't forget Taiwanese vs Mainland.  And there was a hate crime at a suburban Toronto restaurant between (Hong Kong) Cantonese speakers and (mainland) Mandarin speakers.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 1

Don't forget Taiwanese vs Mainland.  And there was a hate crime at a suburban Toronto restaurant between (Hong Kong) Cantonese speakers and (mainland) Mandarin speakers.

That's interesting. My assistant spoke Mandarin and her husband spoke Cantonese. He was a kick.

I am grateful for my job and the fact I get along with everyone. But my pet peeve is there is an employee who constantly comes to me for help. It really interferes with my getting my own work done. He's a nice guy, so it's a little trickier for me to get him to leave me alone. When I suggest others can also help him out, he'll say the other people aren't friendly, are quiet, aren't in the office, that he's more comfortable with me, etc. I got more work done when I was working remotely full-time because I wasn't constantly interrupted. 

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

That's interesting. My assistant spoke Mandarin and her husband spoke Cantonese. He was a kick.

There are Cantonese speakers in the Mainland as well.  There are differences in words used between Mainland and Hong Kong due to the Mainland being closed off and Hong Kong being being under British rule until 1997.  But because of HK's media dominance, Mainlanders mostly understand HK Cantonese.  Cantonese speakers in North America mostly speak the Hong Kong dialect.  An example of Hong Kong Cantonese is calling a bus "bah-see" while the Mainland term is more like "gong jun hei che" (I think...the Mainland word more or less translates to "public motor vehicle," which IMHO sounds lame). I think mainlanders have another word for strawberries too (the HK word is see-dau-be-lay)

• Useful 1
13 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I am grateful for my job and the fact I get along with everyone. But my pet peeve is there is an employee who constantly comes to me for help. It really interferes with my getting my own work done. He's a nice guy, so it's a little trickier for me to get him to leave me alone. When I suggest others can also help him out, he'll say the other people aren't friendly, are quiet, aren't in the office, that he's more comfortable with me, etc. I got more work done when I was working remotely full-time because I wasn't constantly interrupted. 

"Sorry, but I have to get my own work done first. I'm sure you understand since we're all so busy." He's taking advantage of you and you don't want to put yourself/your own job in jeopardy just because he doesn't know how to do his.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, PRgal said:

There are Cantonese speakers in the Mainland as well.  There are differences in words used between Mainland and Hong Kong due to the Mainland being closed off and Hong Kong being being under British rule until 1997.  But because of HK's media dominance, Mainlanders mostly understand HK Cantonese.  Cantonese speakers in North America mostly speak the Hong Kong dialect.  An example of Hong Kong Cantonese is calling a bus "bah-see" while the Mainland term is more like "gong jun hei che" (I think...the Mainland word more or less translates to "public motor vehicle," which IMHO sounds lame). I think mainlanders have another word for strawberries too (the HK word is see-dau-be-lay)

Even more interesting. He used to tell me she spoke "peasant talk".

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Even more interesting. He used to tell me she spoke "peasant talk".

Maybe it's the accent.  There's "peasant talk" for Cantonese speakers too.  My family uses the more PC term "village dialect."  One of my great-grandmothers spoke a dialect of Cantonese called Sekay (I don't know the exact spelling), which I think has died out.  My grandmother spoke a bit (but wouldn't publicly admit that she did) and my mom can understand bits of it.  As my GGM died before I was born, I was never able to hear it from a direct source. 

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, PRgal said:

Maybe? But the conversations I’m recalling are about language and not heritage (which I should have mentioned in my post for context); they could have just said that the person in question speaks Spanish, as opposed to is Spanish. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

People in the library having long/loud conversations on the phone/online. If they were quieter okay. Dang I’m trying to read here.

This is almost as bad as people using their speaker phone in public.  There's something called headphones.  And I don't think the person on the other hand would appreciate that the entire conversation is being publicly broadcast!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

My iPhone I can’t hear anything unless it’s on speaker. You’d think an expensive phone would be a good phone for conversation but nope. 

and I hate hate blutooth headphones! I miss the headphone Jack .

But you can get wired headphones with a lightning cable. I use those half the time and my AirPods the other.  

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, PRgal said:

This is almost as bad as people using their speaker phone in public.  There's something called headphones.  And I don't think the person on the other hand would appreciate that the entire conversation is being publicly broadcast!

A woman in a restaurant had her speakerphone so loud we couldn't ignore it. All the tables around her knew she was talking with someone she called "Jord" (short for Jordan, perhaps). As we left, my friend leaned over toward her phone and said, "Watch what you say, Jord, she's broadcasting this to the entire restaurant."

• Fire 1
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 12
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I am grateful for my job and the fact I get along with everyone. But my pet peeve is there is an employee who constantly comes to me for help. It really interferes with my getting my own work done.

Does he report to you?  If not, there's no reason you should be expected to spend that much time answering his questions.  I recommend putting the kibosh on that.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Pet peeve: sneaky scams.

I don't know whether to be more peeved at the promoter of the "Free Online IQ Test" or with myself for spending 30 minutes on the puzzles without realizing that, yes, taking the test is free, but getting your score is not.

So, whatever my unknown score is, I'm deducting 20 points for being dumb enough to fall for it. You, Mr. Scammer, can keep my score. I'll keep my $20.

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
4 hours ago, HissyFit said:

Pet peeve: sneaky scams.

I don't know whether to be more peeved at the promoter of the "Free Online IQ Test" or with myself for spending 30 minutes on the puzzles without realizing that, yes, taking the test is free, but getting your score is not.

So, whatever my unknown score is, I'm deducting 20 points for being dumb enough to fall for it. You, Mr. Scammer, can keep my score. I'll keep my $20.

That’s me with trying to find info on people. The site says it’s free but at the end you gotta pay to see the results.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/28/2022 at 2:30 PM, Elizabeth Anne said:

My pet peeve today is the way some people seem to think there is only one way to grieve and if you aren't following their blueprint you are either doing it wrong or you don't really care about the loss of your loved one. 

That would bother me too, because I've lost two of my cats recently (first Kathy [a newer stray kitten I had for a little while], and then Harry [who I had for three years]; both were run over). I was sad about it, but quietly remembered them and moved on (unfortunately, like you said, some people would think you're not really sad or regretful if you're not loudly wailing about someone you lost, whether it be human or animal).

• Hugs 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

I can be a wailer, so I try to avoid people, and if there's anything to be said, I'll do it when I'm in the denial part. I asked my dad to come and get me, this afternoon, because I didn't want to get up this morning. I was okay once I was showered, but I miss my dog. My dad just mentioned the meatballs he would use to give him some of his pills, and I was trying to stop crying, for ten minutes, on the way home. 

I had a craving on Saturday, for a soup I used to make for my mum, only it was a squash soup, and I don't like squash. I made it anyway, when I couldn't sleep, early Sunday morning, blended it when my dad was awake, and I actually loved it. I haven't tried more, to see if I still do. I'm still surprised that I had the craving. The recipe included some chili paste, and I have Korean chili paste in the fridge, to use up. That helped, flavour-wise. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

My pet peeve today is due to someone who said last week when I saw them that they were going to show up again today. It's tiring dealing with people who constantly say "I'm going to....." in regards to doing something that involves another person especially when it includes putting off other things while waiting most of the day. I feel a bit differently if someone says "I'm going to" in regards to something that involves just them like cleaning or cooking something and putting it off until later or the next day.

• Like 1

Stop trying to make peppermint & mocha happen, those two flavors do not go together. Mocha has coffee in it, peppermint & coffee do not go. At all. Every coffee shop in the world keeps shoving this flavor combination at me.

Edited by GaT
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Love 2

I’ll see your peppermint mocha (shudder) and raise you white chocolate raspberry and gulp, blueberry cobbler(?!). I don’t know what the generic honey/cinnamon/vanilla creamer that I buy is copying but it is my favorite. It tastes like a graham cracker being dipped in the (iced) coffee. Best present I ever got is my Mr Coffee iced coffee maker.

To keep it peevey, I am still bummed that Mickey D’s quit selling their strawberry and peach tea. They added a fruity thick syrup to it and it was so darn good and cheap. I have searched for a syrup to make it at home with no success.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, GaT said:

Stop trying to make peppermint & mocha happen, those two flavors do not go together. Mocha has coffee in it, peppermint & coffee do not go. At all. Every coffee shop in the world keep shoving this flavor combination at me.

I love peppermint mocha's. I'd be fine with cancelling all the pumpkin spice. It is the worst holiday flavor and I am tired of pumpkin spice being thrown at me from every direction.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I love peppermint mocha's. I'd be fine with cancelling all the pumpkin spice. It is the worst holiday flavor and I am tired of pumpkin spice being thrown at me from every direction.

Oh thank goodness! I thought I was going to have to type *inaverysmallvoice* that I Love Peppermint Mochas! But I see I'm not alone!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh thank goodness! I thought I was going to have to type *inaverysmallvoice* that I Love Peppermint Mochas! But I see I'm not alone!

I usually like my coffee to be coffee flavored, and "straight up" and I'm not a frequent flyer at any of the coffee or donut places (Starbucks, Dunkin, etc...) but this time of year I usually get a mocha, add peppermint (hold the whip) at Starbucks. 

I picked up some Starbucks Peppermint Mocha ground coffee at Starbucks and will break it open after Thanksgiving.

I am making my way through their Gingerbread coffee. It's really good and my expectations are set for the peppermint. If I don't come back to report on it this weekend, tag me as a reminder.

https://www.target.com/p/starbucks-peppermint-mocha-flavored-light-roast-coffee-11oz/-/A-50883693?

image.thumb.png.8a1c2bd685f8eddd487d4c622d624994.png

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

Peeve:  My steam mop decided to quit working the night before I leave.  (I cannot stand coming home from vacation to a house that isn't freshly cleaned.)  Based on how it's misbehaving, I think the heating element croaked (because heaven forbid anyone design anything to last more than five years anymore, but I will spare y'all yet another rant on how even higher-quality items are built to be disposable).  I have a Hoover Floor Mate that I use on the concrete floor of my game room, so I wrestled that inside -- but it can't fit around the toilets, so to finish off I wound up on my hands and knees with a scrub brush like fucking Cinderella.  (I have a regular ol' sponge mop for just in case, but, of course, when I tossed the last worn out sponge I didn't buy a refill.)

But, at least with that done, obnoxious as it turned out to be, I am all done except for packing and a few little things, so I should be able to get on the road at a decent time without getting up too early.

I swear, holidays become more and more work each year.  Surely it's not that I get older, slower, and crankier each year.

• Hugs 4
12 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

To keep it peevey, I am still bummed that Mickey D’s quit selling their strawberry and peach tea. They added a fruity thick syrup to it and it was so darn good and cheap. I have searched for a syrup to make it at home with no success.

You could try Goya Passionfruit syrup. I use it to create something similar to Starbucks' Pink Drink.

• Like 1