Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

(edited)

When my sister & I were kids, our parents bought Scrabble to help us build vocabulary. To this day, I loathe Scrabble. I would always lose, but the words I placed on the board were quite impressive. No one I know wants to play Trivial Pursuit and I love that game.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

When my sister & I were kids, our parents bought Scrabble to help us build vocabulary. To this day, I loathe Scrabble. I would always lose, but the words I placed on the board were quite impressive. No one I know wants to play Trivial Pursuit and I love that game.

I love Scrabble but refuse to play against my brother because he takes forever - as in fifteen plus minutes when it's his turn.  So boring.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, Leeds said:

I love Scrabble but refuse to play against my brother because he takes forever - as in fifteen plus minutes when it's his turn.  So boring.

I have two Sisters and a Cousin.  We played Canasta practically every night.  We even played when I was in labor.  When my pains got to five minutes apart, we stopped and my husband drove me to the hospital.  Loved Canasta.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Same. I like words but I don't care much about strategy. I'm shit at Clue but I used to be really good at backgammon. Is that a strategy game?

I love Clue.  I gave the older version to my Son.  The rooms were authentic and so much nicer than now.  My husband loves cards.  He plays poker twice a week at our clubhouse.  For money of course.

• Love 1

I play Scrabble on my computer pretty much every day, and my mom and I play each other during our Thanksgiving camping trip.  Thanks to an episode of The Golden Girls, "disdam" is an acceptable word in our game.  (It's a word Sophia tried to get away with; when Dorothy challenged her to use it in a sentence, she said, "You're no good at disdam game.")

Oops, I just realized this is chit chat but we're in Pet Peeves.  So here's a peeve:  I know it's not incorrect, as this usage goes back 400 years, but I am annoyed by "gift" used as a verb (e.g. "I gifted him $100 for his birthday" instead of "I gave him $100 ...").

• Love 9

I hate Scrabble, too, though I love word games in general. Too damn slow. (I also hate it because when I worked at Country Living magazine, we got a lawyer's letter from Scrabble saying we were never to use the name of the game without the copyright symbol or face legal action. We assured them we would never mention Scrabble again. Way to cut your nose off to spite your face.)

I once made a guy cry by beating him at Trivial Pursuit. He'd never lost before. That's because he'd never played against me before. Bwah-ha-ha!  😈

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

When friends like making plans very early or very late. My married friends love things like brunch. My single friends often pick the latest movie times and dinner plans for 10 pm. I’m trying to take better care of myself and improve my sleep, but it’s tricky with American culture. We’re supposed to be up early for work but then peak social hours are into the early morning when you’re single. 

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

@Mondrianyone, are you me?  I also once beat a guy at Trivial Pursuit who’d never lost.  To make matters worse for him, he was a sexist pig and didn’t believe he could be beaten by a girl.  Until I did so, that is.

Heh heh...both of you beat Trivial Pursuit hot shots? And one cried? And the other couldn't believe he'd been beaten by a girl?  Now this was fun to read 😁

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

OK, now for some reason the text is centered on the page. I don't know how that happened or how to fix it. Annoying.

The other thing that recently happened is the side bar ads and mid page ads have all disappeared. Not peeved about that at all!! :)

15 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Yes, just got this centered text thing too.  I guess the mods must be aware now and will fix it.  MODS????

Late in responding, but it had to with ads disabling or something, and HERE is where you go when you encounter such issues (Bugs, Questions, Suggestions).

• Useful 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I hate Scrabble, too, though I love word games in general. Too damn slow. (I also hate it because when I worked at Country Living magazine, we got a lawyer's letter from Scrabble saying we were never to use the name of the game without the copyright symbol or face legal action. We assured them we would never mention Scrabble again. Way to cut your nose off to spite your face.)

I once made a guy cry by beating him at Trivial Pursuit. He'd never lost before. That's because he'd never played against me before. Bwah-ha-ha!  😈

Oh, LOL. when I worked at Redbook we got the letter saying that we must say "Scrabble brand crossword game" with the TM--in a short story.  As in "Then we played a round of Scrabble brand crossword game TM while we waited for dinner. . ."  Sure, that's how writers write.  As a lawyer now I understand more about why they do this.  They have to send the letter to police the trademark.  I even got an A in trademark law.  (Having worked in magazines, I thought I'd want to pursue media law, but I decided it was boring.)

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

Oops, I just realized this is chit chat but we're in Pet Peeves.  So here's a peeve:  I know it's not incorrect, as this usage goes back 400 years, but I am annoyed by "gift" used as a verb (e.g. "I gifted him $100 for his birthday" instead of "I gave him $100 ...").

Disdam--love it.  I think I've seen every Golden Girls, but I don't remember that one.

I too really hate this usage of gift.  And unfortunately it comes up in my elder law practice, as people talk about gifting money to their children . . .  Ugh.  Another one that I've had to get used to--toilet as a verb and toileting as a noun.  I'll leave the rest up to your imaginations.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

The talk of games, Jeopardy, and strategy brings up an old Pet Peeve of mine.

Back when I used to watch the show, I used to get SO annoyed when such smart people couldn't figure out the game play part of Jeopardy. Specifically the wagering with daily doubles and the final would have me talking to them through the TV.

Are people playing to do pretty well, or are you playing to win??

• Love 5
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

As a lawyer now I understand more about why they do this.  They have to send the letter to police the trademark. 

If we had passed the letter on to the lawyers, I would've known this. But we didn't, because we preferred to be outraged. So I just learned something!

6 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also once beat a guy at Trivial Pursuit who’d never lost.  To make matters worse for him, he was a sexist pig and didn’t believe he could be beaten by a girl.

This guy had that same faith in himself. I have to say I was totally freaked out when he began to cry. I mean, what grown-up does that??? But then it started to feel kind of good.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Oh, LOL. when I worked at Redbook we got the letter saying that we must say "Scrabble brand crossword game" with the TM--in a short story.

Yes, this was the exact wording they demanded!

• LOL 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Back when I used to watch the show, I used to get SO annoyed when such smart people couldn't figure out the game play part of Jeopardy. Specifically the wagering with daily doubles and the final would have me talking to them through the TV.

That just reminds me of my husband. When our son was little, he loved watching Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. Whenever the Daily Double came up, my husband would yell "Bet it all!"

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 3
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That just reminds me of my husband. When our son was little, he loved watching Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. Whenever the Daily Double came up, my husband would yell "Bet it all!"

Now see...I could never do that. Whenever the DD comes up, I get a little nervous, hoping the contestant will be cautious. Because if you go big and are wrong, you drop down to zero and that could be bad if it's getting close to Final Jeopardy 🤐. Because you might be told to leave before FJ. If that happened to me? I'd never go home again 😫.

• Love 2
On 5/25/2022 at 8:43 AM, JTMacc99 said:

The competitors on Jeopardy! aren't necessarily "smart", they may just know vast quantities of trivia and have fast reflexes.

• Love 2

Making appointments. For anything.

I was supposed to get my hair done tomorrow but my stylist canceled because she’s sick. I couldn’t get on the schedule again until the end of July so now I have to find somewhere to get a shape-up in the meantime because my hair just can’t go nearly four months without a cut.

Last time my dentist canceled it took me two months to get back in with her. I had to explain to the office staff many times that I need at least 24 hours notice to get time off because I work full time. Doctor’s appointments? I usually have to make them 4-5 months out for checkups. 

Also. Birthday parties for adults. My dad sent me and my siblings a message this morning to say we are continuing the family birthday tradition and the party will be on such and such date. I am 37 years old (almost!). I do not need a family party with my cousins that I only see on holidays anyway. Just take me to dinner or send me money and be done with it. There are no little kids in my family except for my niece who is almost two. She can have a birthday party. I don’t think grown-ups need extended family birthday celebrations but my family keeps insisting on doing them… 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Making appointments. For anything.

I was supposed to get my hair done tomorrow but my stylist canceled because she’s sick. I couldn’t get on the schedule again until the end of July so now I have to find somewhere to get a shape-up in the meantime because my hair just can’t go nearly four months without a cut.

Last time my dentist canceled it took me two months to get back in with her. I had to explain to the office staff many times that I need at least 24 hours notice to get time off because I work full time. Doctor’s appointments? I usually have to make them 4-5 months out for checkups. 

Also. Birthday parties for adults. My dad sent me and my siblings a message this morning to say we are continuing the family birthday tradition and the party will be on such and such date. I am 37 years old (almost!). I do not need a family party with my cousins that I only see on holidays anyway. Just take me to dinner or send me money and be done with it. There are no little kids in my family except for my niece who is almost two. She can have a birthday party. I don’t think grown-ups need extended family birthday celebrations but my family keeps insisting on doing them… 

I agree. My mom had a fit when I wouldn't come to my dad's 60th because my son and I had chicken pox FFS.

Our hairdresser just fell and broke her arm in three places. We're talking steel rods and everything. I don't know when we'll see her again.

On 5/27/2022 at 10:31 AM, peacheslatour said:

Our hairdresser just fell and broke her arm in three places. We're talking steel rods and everything. I don't know when we'll see her again.

Poor lady! My current hairdresser and I were born on exactly the same day so now that I am an old and theoretically retired (well, from my career job...I'm actually busier than ever) I keep worrying that she might want to retire and I would actually have to find someone else to cut my hair properly. My pet peeve here, therefore, is the vast surplus of people who do hair for a living and the amazing dearth of people who can do my hair (super fine and thin) according to what I tell them I want (cut so that I can just wash it and point the blow dryer at my head randomly every morning and it comes out just fine). I lived outside a little mountain town for 25 years with a hairdresser (and massage therapist) for every three people and never did find anyone do it correctly there.

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, isalicat said:

Poor lady! My current hairdresser and I were born on exactly the same day so now that I am an old and theoretically retired (well, from my career job...I'm actually busier than ever) I keep worrying that she might want to retire and I would actually have to find someone else to cut my hair properly. My pet peeve here, therefore, is the vast surplus of people who do hair for a living and the amazing dearth of people who can do my hair (super fine and thin) according to what I tell them I want (cut so that I can just wash it and point the blow dryer at my head randomly every morning and it comes out just fine). I lived outside a little mountain town for 25 years with a hairdresser (and massage therapist) for every three people and never did find anyone do it correctly there.

I know how you feel. She's been doing our hair for twenty years. I have had other hairdressers but sh is the best by miles. I hope she feels better soon. I feel so badly for her, she was with her grandchildren at the time and it was her birthday. 😭

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, isalicat said:

Poor lady! My current hairdresser and I were born on exactly the same day so now that I am an old and theoretically retired (well, from my career job...I'm actually busier than ever) I keep worrying that she might want to retire and I would actually have to find someone else to cut my hair properly.

I have the same worry about our family doctor,  We've been going to him since we moved to Ontario and I don't even want to think about having to break in a new one!  That's assuming we can even find one.  I know he's a few years older than I am so the closer I get to retirement the more I worry that he's going to retire soon.  Sigh.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, SusanM said:

I have the same worry about our family doctor,  We've been going to him since we moved to Ontario and I don't even want to think about having to break in a new one!  That's assuming we can even find one.  I know he's a few years older than I am so the closer I get to retirement the more I worry that he's going to retire soon.  Sigh.

Ugh. I went through that and I have never been able to find a decent GP since. Best of luck.

• Love 1

Considering any/all 'holidays' as a good reason to blow up your wallet, my peace and quiet with friggin' neighborhood fireworks/noise makers.  This particular holiday is a day of remembrance for those who had to endure such disturbances, succumbing while protecting the lives of others. It seems so disrespctful to me. I don't expect y'all to agree.  Freedom.

Ack!!

• Love 11
21 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Considering any/all 'holidays' as a good reason to blow up your wallet, my peace and quiet with friggin' neighborhood fireworks/noise makers.  This particular holiday is a day of remembrance for those who had to endure such disturbances, succumbing while protecting the lives of others. It seems so disrespectful to me. I don't expect y'all to agree.  Freedom.

Beautifully said. Thank you.

• Love 5
(edited)

The worst part of most holidays is how they blow up your wallet. Next month I have Father’s Day, my niece’s birthday and my grandfather’s birthday. (See my above-mentioned rant about birthday parties for  adults, a pointless tradition my dad’s family refuses to let go of.) I mean I love my dad’s family but it’s a lot of money when everything comes up at once. I’ve always felt pressure to keep up because they won’t stop having these parties complete with gift opening. 

My mom and her sisters on that side of the family just go out to lunch when it’s one of their birthdays. No circus. I think that’s much better. My niece is really the only one who should be getting gifts and birthday parties since, you know, she’s two. I think this is all part driven by my dad’s parents still being alive. I hate to say it but once they’re gone I hope we can let go of some of these outdated and silly rituals rather than doing things just because we’ve been having birthday parties with lunch at 1:00 for the past 25+ years. 

Oh and fireworks are the worst. In my area people still shoot them off past 11:00 and one of my dogs is terrified of them. She can’t even do her business if she’s outside when she hears them. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Love 3

Today's peeve: I get that not all small businesses have a big Internet presence, and that's ok.  As long as there is an address and phone number that's the main thing.  But when they change their phone number and don't change that information online I am peeved.  Seriously peeved.  Who has phone books anymore?  Do they even make phone books anymore?  Anyway realistically if I call the number you give and the operator says "this number has been disconnected" I am going to assume you have gone out of business!  If you haven't then change your number online!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

The worst part of most holidays is how they blow up your wallet. Next month I have Father’s Day, my niece’s birthday and my grandfather’s birthday. (See my above-mentioned rant about birthday parties for  adults, a pointless tradition my dad’s family refuses to let go of.) I mean I love my dad’s family but it’s a lot of money when everything comes up at once. I’ve always felt pressure to keep up because they won’t stop having these parties complete with gift opening. 

My mom and her sisters on that side of the family just go out to lunch when it’s one of their birthdays. No circus. I think that’s much better. My niece is really the only one who should be getting gifts and birthday parties since, you know, she’s two. I think this is all part driven by my dad’s parents still being alive. I hate to say it but once they’re gone I hope we can let go of some of these outdated and silly rituals rather than doing things just because we’ve been having birthday parties with lunch at 1:00 for the past 25+ years. 

Oh and fireworks are the worst. In my area people still shoot them off past 11:00 and one of my dogs is terrified of them. She can’t even do her business if she’s outside when she hears them. 

May is rough for us. We have Mother's Day, my mom's birthday on the 19th and my parents' anniversary on the 23rd. This year was their 30th anniversary. We're getting together this year in a couple weeks when everyone is available. One of my sisters and I have already ordered gifts. My other sister waffled on it, so we just went on without her. I'm not a procrastinator and shipping takes so long now.

• Love 1

I've complained before about how my stuff tends to make suicide pacts, so I'm suddenly fixing multiple things.  But, previously, the worst was a weekend spent dealing with three.  Oh, how I now long for only three.  Currently, I have either fixed or still need to fix something on: my car, my refrigerator, my garbage disposal, my wine chiller (the horror! 🙂), my sprinkler system, my bathroom vent/heater, two different light fixtures, my AVR, and my computer (that one I outsourced, as I have no idea how to fix computers and am too damn tired to learn).

Thankfully, most are fairly minor, but enough already!

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Another peeve: people using my FB update posts to link to dubious news articles from news sources I would never use.  I end up deleting my whole post when this happens because I don't want to start a squabble for one thing but also because I don't want that shady stuff on my FB page!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I've complained before about how my stuff tends to make suicide pacts, so I'm suddenly fixing multiple things.  But, previously, the worst was a weekend spent dealing with three.  Oh, how I now long for only three.  Currently, I have either fixed or still need to fix something on: my car, my refrigerator, my garbage disposal, my wine chiller (the horror! 🙂), my sprinkler system, my bathroom vent/heater, two different light fixtures, my AVR, and my computer (that one I outsourced, as I have no idea how to fix computers and am too damn tired to learn).

Good lord, @Bastet, what did you do to one of them?! 

8 hours ago, SusanM said:

Who has phone books anymore?  Do they even make phone books anymore? 

Judging by all the phone books that get delivered to my house, yes, they do still make phone books.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
21 hours ago, GaT said:

Judging by all the phone books that get delivered to my house, yes, they do still make phone books.

I checked the Bell Canada website and the answer to whether they still have print phone books was not exactly definitive.  So today's peeve is poorly written information in company websites:  

Bell does not produce or distribute phone books, and they’re not available in its stores. You can consult the directory online at Canada411.ca or by calling the 4-1-1 directory assistance service.

If you want a printed directory, please contact the Yellow Pages directly.

So I am assuming you can still get business directories in print but not residential?  

The last time a phone book was delivered to doorsteps here was 2018.  I know, because it's still sitting on top of my refrigerator, so I checked -- and then tossed it in the recycling bin, because why the hell did I still have a phone book?!

On 5/30/2022 at 1:47 PM, MargeGunderson said:

Yeah, I don't know - apparently I'm supposed to thank them for their service or provide little offerings to appliance/electronic/automotive gods?  Not gonna happen, so I'll just keep fixing.  Like I said, they're almost all minor, so no big deal individually, but it being Jonestown up in here has been wild.  At least I know how to do most of it myself; even mild fixes would add up to a chunk of change if I was paying for labor in addition to parts (and require random people to be in my house).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

The last time a phone book was delivered to doorsteps here was 2018.  I know, because it's still sitting on top of my refrigerator, so I checked -- and then tossed it in the recycling bin, because why the hell did I still have a phone book?!

Yeah, I don't know - apparently I'm supposed to thank them for their service or provide little offerings to appliance/electronic/automotive gods?  Not gonna happen, so I'll just keep fixing.  Like I said, they're almost all minor, so no big deal individually, but it being Jonestown up in here has been wild.  At least I know how to do most of it myself; even mild fixes would add up to a chunk of change if I was paying for labor in addition to parts (and require random people to be in my house).

You mean I'm the only one who has an altar set up in my house to give offerings to the great god Kelvinator?  No wonder you got smoted.

• LOL 6
On 5/30/2022 at 4:47 PM, MargeGunderson said:

The router did it! But you only get that comment if you read follow the Duggar forum,  specifically the Smugger thread.

• LOL 3
4 hours ago, Liddy52 said:

The router did it! But you only get that comment if you read follow the Duggar forum,  specifically the Smugger thread.

I was going to make a router joke but didn’t know if anyone would get it! It was the first thing I thought of - damn you, Duggars!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Yeah, I had one of those pet peeve days the day before yesterday. I have 4 drawers in the kitchen where I keep silverware, very small appliances, cutting boards. One drawer's tracks broke a couple of years ago.  The other day the other three decided to all break at the same time... geesh! I don't have the patience right now to try to get things out, but at some point I will have to do it. Wish I could fix them, but not in the cards for me now. At least I can put things elsewhere...  In these times I am hesitant to have repair people in the house.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Yeah, I had one of those pet peeve days the day before yesterday. I have 4 drawers in the kitchen where I keep silverware, very small appliances, cutting boards. One drawer's tracks broke a couple of years ago.  The other day the other three decided to all break at the same time... geesh! I don't have the patience right now to try to get things out, but at some point I will have to do it. Wish I could fix them, but not in the cards for me now. At least I can put things elsewhere...  In these times I am hesitant to have repair people in the house.

Wow, we have a whole bunch of new emojis! But what happened to the shocked one?

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Wow, we have a whole bunch of new emojis! But what happened to the shocked one?

I believe shocked was replaced with "mind blown" and the sad one was replaced with the teddy bear one to send hugs. 

If you all will excuse me, I'm now off to find a post appropriate for each and every one...

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Wink 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
(edited)

Speaking of social media, I have a friend who tries to make me feel like I'm goofing off while she's busy in the salt mines when I send her messages or game requests.  If you don't want people to know that you are on message boards or are playing online games during work hours there are ways to do that.  Posting through your FB account is not one of them.

Edited by SusanM
  • Love 1
(edited)

Today's peeve of the day is all the bloody chit chat and inane interviews during the Scripps Spelling Bee.  I used to love to watch this competition, but this year, it's almost unbearable.  It's been on nearly an hour, and we haven't even gotten through one round (13 spellers!).  At one point, they had (I think) last year's winner giving commentary while the competitors were spelling!  I mean, the kids couldn't hear her, but I could and I found it to be highly annoying.  I love Dr. Bailly, and he could read me the phone book with his lovely voice, but I don't think I can take all the rest of this.

I did love the one girl's outfit.  She was dressed in a yellow jumper/skirt (I think it had bees on it) with a black top and tights. 

ETA: I'm not a fan of this definition round, either.  I'd bet these kids could spell these words they don't know the definition of.  It's a spelling bee, not a word meaning bee.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 5/30/2022 at 3:38 PM, Bastet said:

I don't know that the "like" option was the best one for this, but I had to pick something; we need a "right there with you!" one. This shit happens to me too! For example, a while back, 2 "higher-end" items (my treadmill and vacuum) crapped out on the same day. I probably yelled about it here.

Over the last week, the oven is not heating up correctly and my dresser (a cheap but very aesthetically pleasing Ikea one that I have had for years) is finally giving up. And I can't seem to find anything anywhere in the pale-colored wood (or "woodlike composite," in this case) that I not just prefer, but that also coordinates with the other two pieces in the room. And my coffee maker -- a beautiful pink Cuisinart that I'd had for years -- died. Obviously, I had to get a new one immediately (I work at home), but nothing in the stores I went to was what I wanted. Again, the aesthetics*; if something sits in view on the counter always, I want it to be fun to look at. I settled for another Cuisinart in brushed steel. It's OK, but not "fun." 

Sometimes it feels like Life just wants me to always have a to-do list (which I do anyway, just by virtue of being an adult and my general personality). And I sometimes wish I was one of those people who just could let the to-do list marinate and fester!

*I realize that this makes me sound a little nuts, this aesthetics thing, and I assure you all that I would just buy whatever was needed in a pinch! But if given the choice, I will always go for something that makes me happy to look at. I have noticed that I seem to take great joy in having things look nice (to me, anyway; my taste may be questionable to some), even the insides of cabinets and drawers -- and probably more so that I am in my home so much more than I was 2 years ago!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6

*I realize that this makes me sound a little nuts, this aesthetics thing, and I assure you all that I would just buy whatever was needed in a pinch! But if given the choice, I will always go for something that makes me happy to look at. I have noticed that I seem to take great joy in having things look nice (to me, anyway; my taste may be questionable to some), even the insides of cabinets and drawers -- and probably more so that I am in my home so much more than I was 2 years ago!

I'm so with you on this! Everything in design is so ugly right now. If you aren't into gray or white you're SOL.

• Love 3

I think part of it is because of decades of apartment living, and not wanting to change the wall color and have to paint it back later. Instead, I opted to make my stuff serve as the "pops of color." It kind of carried over to condo life, even though I wish so much that I'd painted before I moved in here.

• Love 1

Are y'all jinxing appliances from afar, somehow?! My treadmill died this week. I think it's the remote controller (which is, of course, the only way to use it) and the manufacturer is not replying to emails. I'm hoping I can just buy a new remote, I don't want to have to get an entirely new treadmill. 

• Sad 1
  • Love 1