Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

13 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Add me to the Amazon pet peeve list! I have Prime and only order Prime items. I placed an order on 11/19 for 6 items. I received 3 of them yesterday (11/26) and of the 3 remaining delivery is stated as between 12/2 and 12/23!! This is Prime delivery?? WTF!

The one the farthest out is a case of cat food which I really need...had to go out today and buy more locally because Prime failed me.

Even Prime items can have supply chain issues resulting in fufillment delays. Delivery dates are usually clearly displayed on the PDP (product display page) and the checkout screen. 

Source: my dad asked me to order printer toner for them. It's an item that has Prime shipping but it showed it wasn't in stock and the expected delivery date was between 11/29 - 12/3.

You can always cancel the order that is delayed. Here is a link to the Amazon help section if you aren't sure how to do that.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, SusannahM said:

I went to watch a favourite movie (Meet me in St Louis) I have on DVD tonight and can't find it.  Oh well, I thought, no problem I'll replace it.  Not so fast.  Peeve of the day:  only place I see it listed is on Amazon where it's either a DVD not meant for our region or else it's prohibitively expensive.  I've noticed this more and more recently where movies simply aren't being released on DVD at all but this particular movie has been out on DVD for years.

It's scheduled to be on Movies on cable next month. They play everything about eight million times whenever they get a movie.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, SusannahM said:

I went to watch a favourite movie (Meet me in St Louis) I have on DVD tonight and can't find it.  Oh well, I thought, no problem I'll replace it.  Not so fast.  Peeve of the day:  only place I see it listed is on Amazon where it's either a DVD not meant for our region or else it's prohibitively expensive.  I've noticed this more and more recently where movies simply aren't being released on DVD at all but this particular movie has been out on DVD for years.

You're probably having a hard time finding it in DVD format since that is obselete technology. I just checked Amazon and it's available on Blu-Ray - here is it for $17.99. If you don't have a Blu-Ray player, they are pretty inexpensive and most play both DVDs and Blu-Ray. Here is one for $33 on Amazon

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, SusannahM said:

I’ll look on Turner and the Movie Channel so you can tape it.  I love it also.  Are you on the East Coast?   Saturday December 4  3:30 pm.  East Coast.  Turner Classic Movies.

Edited by kristen111
  • Useful 1
On 10/14/2021 at 7:15 PM, shapeshifter said:

When I moved to Rochester NY from Illinois in January, I was going to get rid of my furniture too (your friend and I seem to be alternate universe twins) but my daughter cautioned me about furniture being hard to get. 

When we moved from N.Y. to Florida I gave all my REAL WOOD furniture to my daughters, as it was dark walnut.  We bought all new light colored furniture.  We moved back to N.Y. after 18 months, and I had to buy dark again.  Rattan didn’t go.  Am I sorry now.  I can’t fit much in these new drawers.  Bunch of crap.

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE Christmas movies.  Especially the usual old standard ones.  Now, there are a trillion new sappy Christmas movies, with the same actors, on at least six channels.   It’s overload.  Barf Humbug.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

It's scheduled to be on Movies on cable next month. They play everything about eight million times whenever they get a movie.

Plus, why buy the DVD?  Just tape it on your DVR, and watch easily all the time. My DVR library has about 25 of my favorite movies.  Less trouble.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE Christmas movies.  Especially the usual old standard ones.  Now, there are a trillion new sappy Christmas movies, with the same actors, on at least six channels.   It’s overload.  Barf Humbug.

I could not agree more. I like the old classics very much but these new garbage ones with the same tired plots and D-list actors are horrible. The worst of it is that my DH just adores them and I'm not even allowed to make sarcastic remarks so I just watch what I want in another room.

image.png.21be8f74f5653c59a10ced11d8817d87.png

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I could not agree more. I like the old classics very much but these new garbage ones with the same tired plots and D-list actors are horrible. The worst of it is that my DH just adores them and I'm not even allowed to make sarcastic remarks so I just watch what I want in another room.

Hahaha.  Know what my DH made me put on now?  “Great Expectations” 1946 version, instead of his usual football.  He watches it at least once a week. Lol.  

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Hahaha.  Know what my DH made me put on now?  “Great Expectations” 1946 version, instead of his usual football.  He watches it at least once a week. Lol.  

At least that's a great movie. As i type this my DH is watching A Date By Christmas Eve. I'm watching Law & Order, alternating with Gilmore Girls and The Office. And waiting for the Joan Crawford pot boilerfest on Movies.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

At least that's a great movie. As i type this my DH is watching A Date By Christmas Eve. I'm watching Law & Order, alternating with Gilmore Girls and The Office. And waiting for the Joan Crawford pot boilerfest on Movies.

Mine watched “Say Yes to the Dress” all morning.  Tonite, it’s 90 Day Fiance.  Weird.

• LOL 3
31 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Cameron Burr, Lacy Cher something, Danica McKellar, etc. etc.  Besidesthe oldies, I only like Holiday in Handcuffs, and My Christmas List with Mimi Rogers, which they don’t show anymore, so I bought it.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I saw a Lifetime movie last year called Christmas on Ice, and I wanted to like it because I’m an adult figure skater. It starred some former Dallas Cowboys cheerleader and a bunch of other nobodies, and oh boy did it suck. Never again.

Although I write fanfic and have a couple of WIPs for Christmas stories for my ships, so I don’t totally shy away from corny Christmas stuff. 

The only Christmas movie I really watch is A Christmas Story, TBH, and though it’s not a Christmas movie, I do watch The Sound of Music on ABC every year, since it was my grandmother’s favorite movie. I no longer find Home Alone funny or classic. It’s funny how I virtually watch no Christmas movies that I enjoyed when I was a kid. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I saw a Lifetime movie last year called Christmas on Ice, and I wanted to like it because I’m an adult figure skater. It starred some former Dallas Cowboys cheerleader and a bunch of other nobodies, and oh boy did it suck. Never again.

Although I write fanfic and have a couple of WIPs for Christmas stories for my ships, so I don’t totally shy away from corny Christmas stuff. 

The only Christmas movie I really watch is A Christmas Story, TBH, and though it’s not a Christmas movie, I do watch The Sound of Music on ABC every year, since it was my grandmother’s favorite movie. I no longer find Home Alone funny or classic. It’s funny how I virtually watch no Christmas movies that I enjoyed when I was a kid. 

I used to think National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation was hilarious because it was a lot like my family but I've lost too many loved ones in the last few years to enjoy it any more.

How much Mariah's All I Want for Christmas is played. I love Mariah and the song as much as anyone, but I've already heard it a ton this year, much of it before Thanksgiving! There are so many beautiful Christmas songs out there. Let's play more of them. 

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I used to think National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation was hilarious because it was a lot like my family but I've lost too many loved ones in the last few years to enjoy it any more.

I love when the Father says “I have to eat so I can take my back pills”,  that’s my husband.  The Grandparents are so typical.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I love when the Father says “I have to eat so I can take my back pills”,  that’s my husband.  The Grandparents are so typical.

My mom was a lot like Aunt Bethany although not quite as loopy. The question "Is Rusty still in the Navy?" was bandied about quite a bit in our house.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

My mom was a lot like Aunt Bethany although not quite as loopy. The question "Is Rusty still in the Navy?" was bandied about quite a bit in our house.

I used to quote the "Where's the Tylenol?!" line a lot when I was little, for some reason. I guess I just found the idea of an adult shouting about Tylenol really funny :p.

31 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

How much Mariah's All I Want for Christmas is played. I love Mariah and the song as much as anyone, but I've already heard it a ton this year, much of it before Thanksgiving! There are so many beautiful Christmas songs out there. Let's play more of them. 

I cannot hear that song without thinking of my sixth grade art teacher. From the day we returned from Thanksgiving break to the day before our Christmas break, she would make a point of playing that song in class. Every. Single. Day. 

So yeah, I've always tended to get a bit twitchy when that song starts getting a lot of airplay during the holidays :p.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

“Play Ball”.  Lol.  That movie and “16 Candles”.  “And they’re so perky”.  Haha.  I could go on all night.

5 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I used to quote the "Where's the Tylenol?!" line a lot when I was little, for some reason. I guess I just found the idea of an adult shouting about Tylenol really funny :p.

I cannot hear that song without thinking of my sixth grade art teacher. From the day we returned from Thanksgiving break to the day before our Christmas break, she would make a point of playing that song in class. Every. Single. Day. 

So yeah, I've always tended to get a bit twitchy when that song starts getting a lot of airplay during the holidays :p.

I heard they banned it to once a week.

• Useful 2
23 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I know. Half the stuff you get from Amazon are sold by disparate retailers and in many cases just some guy out of his house. My big complaint about Amazon packaging is the pads I wear at night come in not just one but two big boxes. I mean they're cotton pads, they'r not going to break or be damaged in any way. They could send them in those puffy envelopes and they'd be fine.

They're so inconsistent!  Recently I ordered some leggings, and they arrived in one of those plastic zip-lock bags with air vents (I'm not sure why, but that seems to be more common lately.  Am I supposed to save it and zip them in when I'm not wearing them?), inside of a brown paper envelope that was marked "recycle like a box" (which I like!).  So a pretty good packaging method.  A few days later, I ordered the exact same item in a different color, and it arrived on my porch in just the plastic zip-lock bag, with air holes.  Glad it wasn't raining that day!

2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Plus, why buy the DVD?

To have it available to watch anywhere, not just at home, and for as long as the DVD lasts, not until the DVR craps out and all saved programming is lost (I've yet to have a DVD or Blu-Ray wear out, even on the stuff I watch over and over, but at least half the people I know with DVRs have lost all their stuff, since it's like a hard drive with no back-up).  And to have to the special features (episode commentary, "making of" features, deleted scenes, gag reels, etc.) that come with many DVD/Blu-Ray releases but aren't aired.

It just depends on what you want.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Plus, why buy the DVD?  Just tape it on your DVR, and watch easily all the time. My DVR library has about 25 of my favorite movies.  Less trouble.

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

To have it available to watch anywhere, not just at home, and for as long as the DVD lasts, not until the DVR craps out and all saved programming is lost (I've yet to have a DVD or Blu-Ray wear out, even on the stuff I watch over and over, but at least half the people I know with DVRs have lost all their stuff, since it's like a hard drive with no back-up).  And to have to the special features (episode commentary, "making of" features, deleted scenes, gag reels, etc.) that come with many DVD/Blu-Ray releases but aren't aired.

In addition to this, when you own the hard media of the version you like you aren't tied to the "Directors Cut" or "Special Edition" versions that get released and replace the originals. Star Wars Original Trilology, I'm looking at you.

It has been a long time since I've had a DVR, but IIRC, since they are basically a hard-drive, once it's full, you have to delete things and if the machine breaks, or you surrender it for some reason, like moving, you lose everything you saved.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

That is true come to think of it.  I have 3 dvr’s on three t.v.s.  If one tv dies, do the other two still have my library intact?  Do you know?

That reminds me of when I left all 78 vinyl old records and Victrola in my Fathers house when sold.  I was overwhelmed and left stuff there.  Now, they are worth money.  I’m happy tho, that I still have my boom box and cds of all my favorites, but can’t play them in our new car.  Cars don’t have CD players anymore.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Cars don’t have CD players anymore.

My mom got a new car a couple of years ago and my friend got one this year; both have CD players.  They are getting harder to find, even as an option, and you get a single disc player rather than the 6-disc changer you used to.

My car is an '09, so not only do I still have a CD changer, I still have a cassette player. 🙂  I haven't had anything in the house that plays cassettes in a long time, and I replaced most of my tapes with CDs long ago, but I still keep some favorite old mix tapes in the car.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I have 3 dvr’s on three t.v.s.  If one tv dies, do the other two still have my library intact?  Do you know?

That question would be best answered by your cable company since it depends on the cable company and your service.

34 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Cars don’t have CD players anymore.

24 minutes ago, Bastet said:

My mom got a new car a couple of years ago and my friend got one this year; both have CD players.  They are getting harder to find, even as an option, and you get a single disc player rather than the 6-disc changer you used to.

My 2019 Crosstrek has a CD player. I have no idea if it was an option or a standard feature. My buddy says it makes it easier for the dealership to do software updates, if needed.

• Love 3

Since downgrading my satellite package, I no longer receive TCM, TNT, or TBS, which means I won't be able to watch or record any of the movies I normally would at this time of year. But because I could never rely on one of them airing (A Christmas Carol with Aliastair Sim), or one airing uncut (Love Actually. Shut up, I like it), I have DVDs of the 4 I enjoy most.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Bastet said:

My car is an '09, so not only do I still have a CD changer, I still have a cassette player. 🙂  I haven't had anything in the house that plays cassettes in a long time, and I replaced most of my tapes with CDs long ago, but I still keep some favorite old mix tapes in the car.

Our 2021 Kia has no player.  I had a cassette and CD player in my 2012 Toyota, and some kid totaled us in the rear at a red light.  I was heartbroken.

50 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I still have tapes and cd’s also.  I heard you can go to a car place and have one installed, but it costs a lot.  I might inquire.  Well, I learned it’s best to not throw things away.  Everything comes back eventually.  Let’s not talk about all the baseball cards of all the teams I had in the day.  A fortune now.

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, ABay said:

Since downgrading my satellite package, I no longer receive TCM, TNT, or TBS, which means I won't be able to watch or record any of the movies I normally would at this time of year. But because I could never rely on one of them airing (A Christmas Carol with Aliastair Sim), or one airing uncut (Love Actually. Shut up, I like it), I have DVDs of the 4 I enjoy most.

They would never discontinue the DVD player, would they?  I mean, what’s next?

• LOL 2
31 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I heard you can go to a car place and have one installed, but it costs a lot.  I might inquire.

You can have your radio switched out at a place like Best Buy. In older cars it wasn't very expensive but in the newer cars it might be. I did a quick Google search and it looks like they make external CD players that plug into the car USB port. I hope the anti-skip technology is better than it was the first time around.

20 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

They would never discontinue the DVD player, would they?  I mean, what’s next?

Most DVD players are DVD/Blu-Ray players but sure, at some point that technology will go the way of VHS.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I learned it’s best to not throw things away.

Preach. We still have our turntable for vinyl LPs. (I bought Mr. Mo a special turntable that converts vinyl records to digital. He's never used it once.) And we have a combo VCR/DVD recorder. When I checked Amazon and eBay to see what one would cost if we bought it today, the prices were through the roof.

This is how people become hoarders, I think.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

You can have your radio switched out at a place like Best Buy. In older cars it wasn't very expensive but in the newer cars it might be. I did a quick Google search and it looks like they make external CD players that plug into the car USB port. I hope the anti-skip technology is better than it was the first time around.

Most DVD players are DVD/Blu-Ray players but sure, at some point that technology will go the way of VHS.

Just make sure it’s not a Subaru. I love my 2006 Subaru with 100,000 miles on it, but you can’t buy aftermarket radios. (We have a CD player but no tape.). Why?
Subaru integrates the ac/heating system with the audio equipment. Insane!  Our car is too old to have a Bluetooth or USB connection either. We finally were able to get a Bluetooth thingy that plugs into the cigarette lighter and sends a signal to the radio system. Now we can play satellite radio or podcasts or audiobooks or whatever from the phone. The gadget costs only about $25 so lots cheaper than a new car. Also we got a phone holder that mounts into the CD player slot. We don’t need the CD player now since we listen to the audiobooks on the phone. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

And we have a combo VCR/DVD recorder.

I do too. I still record to the DVR side, and I have the ability to transfer tapes to DVDs.
It was $200 when I bought it about 17 years ago. My daughter (who was in middle school) thought it was a waste of money, but I was working 2-3 nights a week, and it wasn't possible to stream shows yet.

3 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Yeah, I'm really at the point where I don't need a DVR anymore. Even a missed Jeopardy! episode is available on YouTube.
And if I was going to transfer those old tapes to DVDs, I really should have done it before the computer I had that could upload them to the cloud crapped out.

Going through my crap from this last move I found an old mini cassette tape recorder with a tape still in it. 
I think I'm loathe to toss it because my brother-in-law has all my old LPs from the 60s and 70s.
But that's just silly.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

And we have a combo VCR/DVD recorder. When I checked Amazon and eBay to see what one would cost if we bought it today, the prices were through the roof.

Yeah, with DVD-Rs having gone the way of the dodo, they're  expensive.  I still have two VCRs (from back when I used to dub from tape to tape in addition to recording programming) and a DVD-R (when I started programming onto disc rather than tape, and to transfer a bunch of stuff from VHS to DVD [a project I am still only about halfway through because I keep ignoring it]).  There's room for them in my entertainment center, so it's not a problem to hang onto them for now, even though I only need one VCR - but, then, you just know the one I kept would croak after all this time and I'd wish I had the other one.

A friend has exponentially more VHS to transfer to DVD than I do, so she has two extra DVD-Rs in a closet just in case, since they're difficult to come by and expensive.  I think she has extra VCRs in there, too.  I'm not willing to go that far, but I get it.

I did get rid of my LP, cassette, and laser disc players over the years, and eventually I'll be done with the VCR, too.  But DVD/Blu-ray I'll probably still have when I croak.  Yes, I stream, in the same way I watch TV, but when it comes to something I want to have for re-watching, I want a physical copy.  I don't have a DVR, because I don't record very much; I'm not going to pay my satellite company a monthly fee for a function I only occasionally use (and to have only a digital copy), so I record to disc.

• Love 2

Does anyone remember The Gathering, a Christmas TV movie starring Ed Asner, as a father who owned a prosperous business & had several adult children (each w/ their own issues) who come home for the holiday. They learn he has cancer & is dying. The town is beautiful, the home is beautiful, Maureen Stapleton played his wife. This movie must have been popular because two years later a part 2 was aired that was ok. I don't watch modern Xmas movies, but these two movies were from the late 70's-early 80's. I haven't seen it in years.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

My 2004 car says wut?

I probably would still be driving my 1999 Subaru had someone not rear ended me on the Long Island Expressway in 2006.  Fortunately no injuries besides car--very low speed bumper to bumper traffic.

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Lots of moving between countries with different electrical systems and limited container space to bring "everything" means hoarding hasn't really been an option for me.  I do miss a lot of things I "used to" have though.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm not going to pay my satellite company a monthly fee for a function I only occasionally use (and to have only a digital copy), so I record to disc.

DVR has one essential function for me--fast forwarding through commercials.  Even if I watch live, I start the show late so I can skip commercials.  Although I still end up watching some commercials.  Otherwise I couldn't comment in the Commercials I Hate thread.

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 6
20 hours ago, theredhead77 said:
On 11/27/2021 at 8:17 PM, SusannahM said:

You're probably having a hard time finding it in DVD format since that is obselete technology. I just checked Amazon and it's available on Blu-Ray - here is it for $17.99. If you don't have a Blu-Ray player, they are pretty inexpensive and most play both DVDs and Blu-Ray. Here is one for $33 on Amazon

Thank you!  I am in Canada so I went back and checked the Canadian website and they have it there on Blu-Ray at a fairly reasonable price.  You were absolutely right BTW I searched Amazon with the movie title and added DVD thinking that would narrow down the results.  Well it certainly did that as it eliminated the Blu Ray choices.  Sorry Amazon but to me Blu Ray and DVD are interchangeable!  

And thank you to everyone posting here who offered suggestions to resolve my first world (but annoying nonetheless) dilemma!

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Preach. We still have our turntable for vinyl LPs. (I bought Mr. Mo a special turntable that converts vinyl records to digital. He's never used it once.) And we have a combo VCR/DVD recorder. When I checked Amazon and eBay to see what one would cost if we bought it today, the prices were through the roof.

Well, you know how it goes.  You bought Mr. Mo the turntable .. now YOU have to do the converting.  Did you really think he would do it himself?  Lol.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, SusannahM said:

Sorry Amazon but to me Blu Ray and DVD are interchangeable!  

So glad it worked out! And yes, they are interchangeable terms. Personally, I don't say "Blu-Ray", I still say DVD when I mean Blu-Ray or whatever media format the disk is. I hope whatever comes next will be backwards compatible, and work in the DVD / Blu-Ray player.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Never gonna happen.

Join the club.  Mine can’t even watch a dvd without me doing it.  He doesn’t know how to switch the Source button on the remote, and doesn’t want to learn. This is a guy who was a computer operator.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ABay said:

If you have or want DVDs from other regions, it's pretty easy to find the codes to make a DVD player region-free.

Sometimes.  I have one in particular that wasn’t hackable but usually research a model before buying to make sure I can do it.  DVDs are about 50/50 between regions 1 and 2 in this house!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Mine can’t even watch a dvd without me doing it.  He doesn’t know how to switch the Source button on the remote, and doesn’t want to learn. This is a guy who was a computer operator.

Dear Mr. 111,
You may think Ms. 111 feels empowered by being the only one at home who knows how to use the functions of the remote, but I am here to disabuse you of that notion.
Sincerely,
Friend of Ms. 111

• LOL 4
  • Love 1