Type keyword(s) to search

Whitney Thore: So She Thinks She Can Dance

• Start Topic

File this one under revisionist history. I have been noticing this for a while but I guess it is so obvious that no one has mentioned it.

Her standard story which has been oft repeated is that she was thin until she went to college and then PCOS caused the enormous weight gain. And while there are two pictures of her at her most slender most of the other ones to not bear that out.  She is not thin (not obese but not thin) in her prom gown which I assume was shortly before she went to college. She looks squeezed into that gown and spanxed from neck to knee. I maintain that she has always struggled with her weight and depression. Her eating disorders seem to have ranged from bulimia to a period of anorexia to uncontrolled overeating.

And, I'm going way out on a limb here, but, hey, I'm not a psychologist but I am in my arm chair so here goes. Her appetites (food, alcohol, sex and attention) are an attempt to fill something that is missing. And having a legion of leg humpers seems to be what she thinks she needs although it won't be sustaining and when her show and speaking engagements dry up she will be in worse shape emotionally.

I wish she would do a lot of things but a pet peeve of mine is that she intersperses her current photos with those taken when she was much younger. The reason it bugs is that her acolytes don't realize that and gush at how beautiful she is which only serves to feed her ego which makes her continue.

• Love 12
(edited)
9 hours ago, amacmom said:

I just watched the Smile video.

Many years ago my grandmother had just passed away and I went for a walk to clear my head. I got the "smile" comment from a guy (and mind you, I have a resting bitch face or whatever it's called) and told him why I wasn't smiling.

Decades removed, he was just trying to be nice. Maybe flirting... but no harm intended. If I had it to do again I'd just smile and continue my walk. Sometimes people say awkward things. Look at intent and move on, Whit.

I understand the point of the "smile" thing, unless it's part of your job to smile at people. No one does that to men. I hate it when complete strangers tell you to "smile"--it's not like it's a caring family member. Maybe I just put a 19 year old into a body bag. Maybe a 7 year old kid was run over by a truck and died right before my eyes and I do not feel like smiling. Maybe I have crippling anxiety in crowded places. I just find it kind of intrusive--you don't know who has PTSD or what's just gone on in someone's life (or is going to happen). 

I also will tell people why I'm not smiling. Maybe that will teach them to keep their comments to themselves. 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 14
5 hours ago, thesnarkiest said:

OK, now I got it. Thanks for reposting. I remember seeing that "gum" photo before, but I just thought it was the tag-end to the first video & didn't realize it was another video to watch. Mea culpa.

Well, Mr. Hat was my hero & now he's just another a-hole. (I wonder if he had a former life in South Park?) As for Twit? She's one of those women who give feminism a bad name.

• Love 3
On 4/1/2017 at 9:03 AM, TurtlePower said:

I see there's an MMA gym there. Surprised she hasn't tried that yet.

They're saving that for next season. 

And I third (fourth?) the comments to @AmyB - outstanding sleuthing!! Many thanks for tracking all the dirty details and sharing! 

• Love 3

I followed a link this morning to see "after" pictures of Mama June.  When her 15 minutes of fame as an obese, unkempt tacky person were over, she realized her only chance of getting back on TV was to become someone else.  She has lost 300 pounds (gastric sleeve), and has had "work" done on her turkey neck (her description), flapping upper arms, bust and tummy.  She looks like a normal person now . . . not like a caricature.  I wonder if Whitney will go down this road a couple of years after TLC cancels her show (hopefully at the end of this season), and she'll come back in a few years with a proposal for "My Big No Longer Fat Fabulous Life."

Honestly, I don't have anything against overweight people.  I am one.  But I'm also honest WITH MYSELF about what the weight IS doing, and how much healthier I'd feel without it.  It is hard work to lose weight, but the payoff is amazing.

• Love 7

Mama June's transformation is amazing!   Whitney better be banking some of that TLC $ because if she ever has weight loss surgery and loses the 200 or more lbs she needs to lose she is going to have a whole lot of loose skin and she will need a whole lot of spanx because insurance doesn't always pay for excess skin removal.  I am losing my weight the old fashioned way (eat less/move more) and you are right AZChristian, the pay off is amazing! 

• Love 2
On 4/3/2017 at 9:49 PM, amacmom said:

I just watched the Smile video.

Many years ago my grandmother had just passed away and I went for a walk to clear my head. I got the "smile" comment from a guy (and mind you, I have a resting bitch face or whatever it's called) and told him why I wasn't smiling.

Decades removed, he was just trying to be nice. Maybe flirting... but no harm intended. If I had it to do again I'd just smile and continue my walk. Sometimes people say awkward things. Look at intent and move on, Whit.

I just saw the smile video.

Until I see footage from the store's video, we only have Twit's opinion of what happened.  I am thinking dude was trying to be nice. Maybe he was bored and wanted to joke around with a customer.  Idiot - it's a smile. He wasn't asking for your freakin phone number or a boob shot.

• Love 2

Is anyone else on the verge of being done with this show? I just stopped recording 600 lb life for being over the top stupid. I'm about to stop recording this one. I just can't anymore. 

Do the producers want these shows cancelled, or is there a segment of the viewing public that actually enjoys circus acts?

1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

Is anyone else on the verge of being done with this show? I just stopped recording 600 lb life for being over the top stupid. I'm about to stop recording this one. I just can't anymore. 

If the episode, on either of the shows, looks iffy to me, I read some of the discussion here first.
Several times I've deleted episodes unwatched.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Do the producers want these shows cancelled, or is there a segment of the viewing public that actually enjoys circus acts?

If I were a Neilson family, I would feel complicit in keeping MBFFL on the air. I don't enjoy the show with its prepostrous story arcs & a "star" who is so hypocritical about her weight that she is writing future death certificates for herself & her most ardent groupies. So, I would feel a moral obligation to quit watching.

Since I am NOT a Neilson viewer, I can watch knowing that when the episode ends, I will be able to blow off my frustration by reading the incredibly incisive snark on this forum. And THAT is why I continue to watch.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Tosia said:

Where were the death certificates? 

I'm not sure I understand your question. I was using what I thought was obvious hyperbole to point out Twit's double-speak: It's fab to be fit even tho it's gonna kill you (and all the ppl who have fallen for your deception). There are no actual death certificates -- yet.

(edited)

Someone was commenting in the ep thread about how sad it is that Whit has actually made herself disabled, and at such a young age, and it got me thinking. My early 30s, especially 32, felt like the exciting beginning to my whole life. I was wild in my 20s, and they were fun as hell, but also undirected and sometimes frenetic. When I turned 30, everything just started clicking. I loved myself fully for the first time, without outside influence, I was developing that awesome adult friend group, my career was taking off, I had just fallen hard for my new sport, rock climbing, and if I may say so, my milkshake was bringin' all the boys to the yard. My early to mid 30s were just pure magic. 

Parenthetically, my late 30s are magic too (in a different way obviously) with a husband and a toddler, but my focus for the intent of this post is early 30s. 

And so I look at Whitney, who at 32 could just be killing it as a young single woman starting her real, grown up life, and it just seems tragic. She has crippled herself and her potential by not getting her weight and her issues under control. This is as good as it's ever going to get for her, because as she gets older, everything is just going to get that much harder, thanks to the depredations of age. This is it! This is as good as it gets. And she's *chosen* this. To quote Gwyneth, she is the architect of her own misery. It just all seems like such a terrible waste.

I would feel way worse for her if she weren't such a hateful person.

Edited by Pachengala
To change 'girl' to 'woman.' Who AM I?
  • Love 12
On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 4:14 PM, Dot said:

Since I am NOT a Neilson viewer, I can watch knowing that when the episode ends, I will be able to blow off my frustration by reading the incredibly incisive snark on this forum. And THAT is why I continue to watch.

I wonder how advertisers feel about snark/hate watchers.
Seems liike they might advetise different products, though from what I've read, we don't all head the same way.
I'm going to have pizza or chips with my show, while some seem to go the other way.

On 4/7/2017 at 4:14 PM, Dot said:

If I were a Neilson family, I would feel complicit in keeping MBFFL on the air. I don't enjoy the show with its prepostrous story arcs & a "star" who is so hypocritical about her weight that she is writing future death certificates for herself & her most ardent groupies. So, I would feel a moral obligation to quit watching.

Neilson ratings are only part of the equation now.  They can gather statistics through cable companies and streaming venues like Hulu etc.  They know exactly how many are watching, start then switch off a show and those who go back and forth etc.

I have only started watching snippets of the show recently when I had the flu and was down for a week.  While I like her gumption I am turned off by her lack of understanding of her own health and how her own actions are probably a death sentence for her.  Her rudeness towards others and her self absorption is glaring.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Neilson ratings are only part of the equation now.  They can gather statistics through cable companies and streaming venues like Hulu etc.  They know exactly how many are watching, start then switch off a show and those who go back and forth etc.

I have only started watching snippets of the show recently when I had the flu and was down for a week.  While I like her gumption I am turned off by her lack of understanding of her own health and how her own actions are probably a death sentence for her.  Her rudeness towards others and her self absorption is glaring.

This is why most of us dislike her. She also expects to "win" at everything--even activities new to her--but doesn't put in the time and effort to be proficient (hence fake competitions). If she doesn't win, she wants a redo until she does even if she isn't good enough. And anytime attention is paid to her, she behaves as if they think she's the most fantastic thing on the planet.

This is probably what irks me the most about her. It takes a combination of natural ability, hard work and time to become good enough to be a winner (or even place) in real competition. If Whitney took piano lessons, she'd be finding a contest to enter after a week of lessons. While she's still trying to master chopsticks, she'd be expecting to place over those who can play Beethoven or Mozart (because, you know, they've been playing for YEARS). Then she'd cry foul if she "lost". But it seems that the show sets her up to fail, which we hate watchers enjoy greatly. 

If she changed her attitude to more hard work and less privileged, I might come around to rooting for her again. 

• Love 11
9 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

This is why most of us dislike her. She also expects to "win" at everything--even activities new to her--but doesn't put in the time and effort to be proficient (hence fake competitions). If she doesn't win, she wants a redo until she does even if she isn't good enough. And anytime attention is paid to her, she behaves as if they think she's the most fantastic thing on the planet.

This is probably what irks me the most about her. It takes a combination of natural ability, hard work and time to become good enough to be a winner (or even place) in real competition. If Whitney took piano lessons, she'd be finding a contest to enter after a week of lessons. While she's still trying to master chopsticks, she'd be expecting to place over those who can play Beethoven or Mozart (because, you know, they've been playing for YEARS). Then she'd cry foul if she "lost". But it seems that the show sets her up to fail, which we hate watchers enjoy greatly. 

If she changed her attitude to more hard work and less privileged, I might come around to rooting for her again. 

I agree with your entire post!  I'll have to watch for the "finding a contest" as I am shaking my head.  I feel I am too new to the show to properly articulate my opinion.  Give me time on that.  I can say this - if she channeled some of this competition onto her self I could get on board.  It does seem silly to compete at everything except one's own health.

• Love 4
On 4/7/2017 at 3:14 PM, Dot said:

It's adorable that you don't think your cable company is selling your data.

ComScore says it processes set-top box data form 17 million households, including data from Dish, AT&T /DirecTV, Charter and Cox.

Comcast markets it's own data and Dish Network also sells it to Neilson.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, John M said:

It's adorable that you don't think your cable company is selling your data.

ComScore says it processes set-top box data form 17 million households, including data from Dish, AT&T /DirecTV, Charter and Cox.

Comcast markets it's own data and Dish Network also sells it to Neilson.

Interesting; didn't know that. Since I am a Dish Network subscriber, I'm gonna have to rethink my continuing to watch MBFFL.

25 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I almost always watch things at least a day after I've recorded them, and someone said that it isn't counted after a certain period of time.

Besides, I'm old, so I'd be a kiss of death.

Live + 3 or Live + 7 (the plus being the number of days after initial broadcast) is how ratings are often handle these days, so if a person is watching off their DVR (or, perhaps, even through things like the TLC app within a certain time frame), it gets counted.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I really wonder what would happen if Buddy challenged Whitney to a weight loss contest. She is hyper competitive, but she is a total lazy-ass. It's a tossup whether she'd participate.

It would great if he would but I don't think he is even serious about his health. His recent pictures, esp the ones when they went to LA to film the skinny, he looks even worse.

• Love 1
On 4/10/2017 at 2:39 PM, ClareWalks said:

I really wonder what would happen if Buddy challenged Whitney to a weight loss contest. She is hyper competitive, but she is a total lazy-ass. It's a tossup whether she'd participate.

I think Whitney likes to win, but she's not actually competitive. If she were, she would actually be putting in the time required to become good at things. If she agreed to a weight loss competition with Buddy, it would only be because she assumed she would win. If at any point it looked like she was going to lose, she would list a million excuses why that was the case (men lose weight faster, her PCOS, she's busier than Buddy, anything besides she didn't work hard enough).  It's the story of her life. And, imo, it's part of the reason why she wants to be as fat as she is. Lowered expectations and built in excuses.

• Love 20

Place your bets.
My U-verse guide says Whit agrees to help Babs in recovering from her stroke, but a surprise offer comes up and Whit must choose between family and -----

wait for it---   her "dance career." 
So, long mom...

• Love 9

At the end of episode 12, the episode 13 preview had Whit face a conundrum.

Should she stay and continue with BGDC?  Or go on the road with Fitness Marshall for his "Master Classes" aka $50 drop in meet'n greets?

I fully predict, like the radio show, she'll reject the go on the road?  Why?  MBFFL dollars.

Going on the road entails work, and the ability to dance for at least 30-40 minutes continuous.

Not going to happen.

Even this big girl dances better than Whitney.

However, she didn't last very long.  I'm guessing that her knees gave out.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, qqererer said:

At the end of episode 12, the episode 13 preview had Whit face a conundrum.

Should she stay and continue with BGDC?  Or go on the road with Fitness Marshall for his "Master Classes" aka $50 drop in meet'n greets?

I fully predict, like the radio show, she'll reject the go on the road?  Why?  MBFFL dollars.

Going on the road entails work, and the ability to dance for at least 30-40 minutes continuous.

Not going to happen.

Even this big girl dances better than Whitney.

However, she didn't last very long.  I'm guessing that her knees gave out.

I suspect she won't go because she knows she physically CAN'T, however she'll come up with some other reason. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

I suspect she won't go because she knows she physically CAN'T, however she'll come up with some other reason. 

Agreed. There are only so many seatbelt extenders in this world.

• Love 4

I'm not sure it's a prediction, so much as it is being able to follow TLC's shallow thinking:

(A) like the dance competitions and the work out competition and the folk festival, the offer from The Fitness Marshall is a fake. I think that guy wants to go on the road with Whitney Thore about as much as he wants to have shin splints on a regular basis..

(B) Whitney will sadly, but nobly refuse because she must stand by her mother (who I believe suffered a TIA, not a debilitating stroke, and who had recovered almost completely before this season premiered.)

I see only one possibility that Whitney may be nobly urged by her mother to leave her to Glenn and Hunter's tender mercies* and follow her heart, and Whitney then tearfully accepts TFM's offer. That's if this offer is really TLC's segue from making MBFFL into making a wacky buddy show with Whitney and TFM as the stars. 

*Seriously, how helpful could Whitney be if Babs really had suffered a paralyzing stroke? She can't cook. She doesn't clean. She can't maintain her own hygiene, let alone someone else's. Is she even strong enough to lift and turn a bed-bound patient? Can she manage a bedpan? If this was real, my advice to Whitney would be go earn some money and pay for certified nursing aids to take some of the pressure off your father.

• Love 11
10 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Agreed. There are only so many seatbelt extenders in this world.

That's cold! 

9 hours ago, Ketzel said:

That's if this offer is really TLC's segue from making MBFFL into making a wacky buddy show with Whitney and TFM as the stars. 

That would be more boring than yet another Return to Amish.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, auntjess said:

So the season post-mortem is the only episode left? 
It's only an hour, and I thought it was longer last year.

This season has been so lack-luster there isn't more than an hour's worth of rehash to be had. Plus I'm pretty sure she and Boo Bear can't sit up for much longer than that without needing oxygen. 

• Love 7

I've been watching the reruns of Dance Moms.  I would love to see a crossover of Whit attending one of Abby's dance classes. We know Whit wouldn't be able to keep up & dance with the girls on the show.  Maybe Abby has an opening in one of her toddler classes. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I've been watching the reruns of Dance Moms.  I would love to see a crossover of Whit attending one of Abby's dance classes.

Maybe, but I'm waiting to load her in the back of a van, on a mattress, and head for Houston.  Houston, you thought you had a problem before, well here comes Whit.

• Love 14
8 hours ago, auntjess said:

Maybe, but I'm waiting to load her in the back of a van, on a mattress, and head for Houston.  Houston, you thought you had a problem before, well here comes Whit.

I hope twit realizes that M600LBF is ONE 60min episode shot over a year.  There is almost ZERO money in it.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, auntjess said:

Please for the love of all that is good and holy, do not  bring her to Houston  we gave not recovered  from Steven  yet.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Please for the love of all that is good and holy, do not  bring her to Houston  we gave not recovered  from Steven  yet.

Or James.  Can't you see her in the back of the van yelling, "Owww, mah tooooooooooooe"?

• Love 8
17 hours ago, qqererer said:

I hope twit realizes that M600LBF is ONE 60min episode shot over a year.  There is almost ZERO money in it.

I like imagining her living in one of those apartments with Babs & Glenn, Todd, Tal, Buddy, et al.
The Beverly Hillbillies in reverse.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I like imagining her living in one of those apartments with Babs & Glenn, Todd, Tal, Buddy, et al.
The Beverly Hillbillies in reverse.

Don't forget the pig, at least two cats and a dog.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I wouldn't think you could register No BS as a trademark, because it's a phrase people use.

Believe it or not, the term "major league baseball stadium" is copyrighted.  We wanted to have custom t-shirts made and were advised by the printer we could not use that term without a release.

I'm from Baltimore originally.  There, restaurant servers and others are well known for calling their customers "Hon."  A restaurant owner there tried to copyright that word.  Didn't go over very well, and it hurt her business so much that she gave up the effort.

In other words . . . you'd be amazed at what phrases are copyrighted.

• Love 2