Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: I Woke Up Like This

shapeshifter

Eliza gets a confidence boost when she learns that her new female role model/former middle school bully used Eliza's life as an inspiration for her success. Henry is determined to rid himself of his childhood poser status by finally teaching himself how to ride a skateboard.

Just watched this.

It's over.

*sob*

Stupid, stupid, stupid PTB!!!

Do they give an award for Most Endearing Show Ever?

• Love 11

I liked the montage ending, especially considering they didn't have a lot of time to tie everything together with a bow. It did a good job of giving some closure and a sense of new direction (Henry bolstered by his new-found "no fear" credo) but also leaving some ambiguity about the end game so everyone could fill in their ideas for themselves.

Bye, Selfie! You were lots of fun while you lasted.

• Love 5

Kevin!

Oh, that was sweet. Loved Eliza's realization that she didn't need to look to anyone but herself for inspiration. (And with her hair cutting, it looks like they were paving the way to get rid of the wigs.) Henry coaching/cheerleading when Eliza confronted Corynn was adorable. Also loved the bookstore security guard who was totally cool with Eliza jumping Corynn as long as it was outside of the store.

My main complaint, of course, is that this is the last episode. My next complaint was the total lack of Saperstein, though I'm sure he would have made an appearance had they known of the cancelation before they finished filming.

Thanks, Selfie, for making my Tuesdays a bit happier and sillier.

Edited by Mockingbird
  • Love 3

...loved the bookstore security guard who was totally cool with Eliza jumping Corryn as long as it was outside of the store...

Thanks for reminding me of this moment. Whenever I am sad that world peace was not achieved because Selfie was canceled, I will meditate on this bit and have hope.

J/k. Sort of.

• Love 2

aw.

I forgot that this was the last episode and now I'm kind of crying. I'm sad. but not because of the show--Emily was right. It was a good sum up. I have so many IDEAS now. I like how Freddy wasn't freaked out over Eliza's old photo. I really grew to like Freddy. I really grew to like this entire show. It was so witty, so funny so charming. (Even after the puke!pilot)

That montage ending tho.

• Love 5

Kevin!

Oh, that was sweet. Loved Eliza's realization that she didn't need to look to anyone but herself for inspiration. (And with her hair cutting, it looks like they were paving the way to get rid of the wigs.) Henry coaching/cheerleading when Eliza confronted Corryn was adorable. Also loved the bookstore security guard who was totally cool with Eliza jumping Corryn as long as it was outside of the store.

My main complaint, of course, is that this is the last episode. My next complaint was the total lack of Saperstein, though I'm sure he would have made an appearance had they known of the cancelation before they finished filming.

And a whole lot sweeter...

• Love 3

Aaaand it's over ;(

I'm just sitting here, contemplating my overwhelming love for Eliza. I never expected to love her as much as I do now, especially since she reminds me so much of myself (excuse me, projecting here). Her enormous growth in such a short time is so inspiring and heartening. And finally, finally she feels good about herself. She can embrace her awkwardness as a lonely teen and be super proud of how far she went - and simultaneously, still like pretty clothes, make-up and sex. At last, she isn't apologizing for who she is, all the while tempering her more self-destructive habits and embracing various interpersonal relationships.

I think with her speech outside the bookstore, we're supposed to understand that Henry's reaction, too, means that he's not going to try to change her too much. He looked upset at how the situation affected her and surely, if the show was given more time, we'd see that he would start to fully accept her just the way she is. Of course he's got feeling for her regardless, but when he tried to make her feel good about herself, he used examples of her past behavior that the past Henry would have found slutty and inappropriate. He might still not like her promiscuity (especially now that he's grown to love her), but he isn't slut-shaming her anymore.

The message of the show turned out to be generally very positive, contrary to what people assumed based on the premise and the pilot. It was not about older guy making a vapid, social media-obsessed women more lady-like. It was about reaching out to people and meeting them in the middle, building support network around you and looking past the shallow appearances. It was also about not completely changing oneself, but accepting who you are and improving upon your best qualities. And not hiding behind the walls of modern technology or workaholism to cover your insecurities, but facing the challenges head-on. Eliza is finally getting there, Henry might be still a few steps behind, but he took a big step too.

And just the general shout-out to the supporting cast. Charmonique is the queen ofc - I love the friendship between her and Eliza (and how cute was the genuine respect and admiration that Eliza has for her?) I adore every single one of them (Bryn and her book club being the least developed, I like them the least), with Freddy being the biggest surprise. He's a fun, if a little dumb guy. Henry and Eliza are obviously the endgame, but I'm kinda grateful I won't have to see the inevitable breakup with Freddy. Seeing his heart break for real would break mine too.

• Love 10

I'm torn. I was liking this episode, but that last scene with Freddy left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't understand how I'm supposed to think this is a good relationship after the show made it clear Eliza went back to him only because she was rejected by Henry. Freddy is a nice consolation prize, but I feel badly that Eliza has to settle for a consolation prize. I suppose I don't see why Eliza could've just been happily single instead of yo-yo-ing back to Freddy just because he was the only option left. I can't get that "too drunk to stand Eliza throws herself at Freddy" from several episodes ago out of my head. I don't care how much they say he's growing as a person -- she broke up with him and then rebounded back to him when she had no one else. That's nowhere near a healthy relationship.

I'm happy for Eliza for finally learning to love herself, but in musical theater terms, this was the quiet, introspective Act II number rather than a grand finale. Kudos to Emily Kapnek for sticking to her artistic vision, but the show really feels like someone lowered the curtain 15 minutes too early. And while the network was the one lowering the curtain, the writer was the one who decided what scene should act as the finale.

Nonetheless, I'm grateful we got to Act II and grateful that Hulu and ABC.com aired all the remaining episodes, but the show basically closed on "Without You" when "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face" was standing right there?!

Emily...where the devil is my ending?

• Love 4

True, but I feel like all writers of freshman series should write 1x13 like it could be the series finale. And she knew the ratings weren't great. It just felt like she was hedging on it being picked up, when she should've known after seeing the ratings for the first episode that its chances of survival were slim. I wish she'd started writing towards an ending then -- being realistic instead of optimistic.

I'm guessing the montage wasn't in the original script -- that was added to make it serve as the finale. I just wish the plot had done the same thing, because the show didn't make Eliza and Freddy look doomed, and Henry could theoretically be talking about happiness with someone else (thinking about how he won't make the same mistakes twice, the way he did with Eliza). Maybe that was the point, but it was kind of a downer ending.

I suppose Eliza will never truly love anyone until she learns to love herself, and with that step taken last night, we could theorize the rest. But still...that's a lot of work for a cancelled sitcom to expect from its audience.

Aaaand it's over ;(

I'm just sitting here, contemplating my overwhelming love for Eliza. I never expected to love her as much as I do now, especially since she reminds me so much of myself (excuse me, projecting here). Her enormous growth in such a short time is so inspiring and heartening. And finally, finally she feels good about herself. She can embrace her awkwardness as a lonely teen and be super proud of how far she went - and simultaneously, still like pretty clothes, make-up and sex. At last, she isn't apologizing for who she is, all the while tempering her more self-destructive habits and embracing various interpersonal relationships.

I think with her speech outside the bookstore, we're supposed to understand that Henry's reaction, too, means that he's not going to try to change her too much. He looked upset at how the situation affected her and surely, if the show was given more time, we'd see that he would start to fully accept her just the way she is. Of course he's got feeling for her regardless, but when he tried to make her feel good about herself, he used examples of her past behavior that the past Henry would have found slutty and inappropriate. He might still not like her promiscuity (especially now that he's grown to love her), but he isn't slut-shaming her anymore.

The message of the show turned out to be generally very positive, contrary to what people assumed based on the premise and the pilot. It was not about older guy making a vapid, social media-obsessed women more lady-like. It was about reaching out to people and meeting them in the middle, building support network around you and looking past the shallow appearances. It was also about not completely changing oneself, but accepting who you are and improving upon your best qualities. And not hiding behind the walls of modern technology or workaholism to cover your insecurities, but facing the challenges head-on. Eliza is finally getting there, Henry might be still a few steps behind, but he took a big step too.

And just the general shout-out to the supporting cast. Charmonique is the queen ofc - I love the friendship between her and Eliza (and how cute was the genuine respect and admiration that Eliza has for her?) I adore every single one of them (Bryn and her book club being the least developed, I like them the least), with Freddy being the biggest surprise. He's a fun, if a little dumb guy. Henry and Eliza are obviously the endgame, but I'm kinda grateful I won't have to see the inevitable breakup with Freddy. Seeing his heart break for real would break mine too.

I agree a lot with you, Blue.  I am going to miss this cute, fun little show.  I am racking my brains to come up with a comparison to it.  I thought it was not as OTT as Suburgatory.  It is head and shoulders above any CBS comedy, which are so broad and crude. Selfie wasn't always patting itself on the back as we have seen with some of the NBC comedies.

It was unique, a mash-up of a Rom-Com and workplace sitcom with some silliness and really true emotions.  I actually laughed and cried.  It could be very subtle-especially the romantic parts. yet, a wacky workplace environment.  Jazz meetings, mandatory karioke and an office full of goofy, relatable people.

I will miss it. I have never felt this way about a cancelled show.  RIP, Selfie.

• Love 3

I just mainlined the last four episodes -- gosh, what a surprisingly sweet show. Gone too soon, but I relished the little bit that we got. This is going to be the second cancelled show in my life that i'm hoping against hope ends up on DVD somehow.

One thing I'm supremely bummed about not getting is Henry and Eliza singing together. I might have actually keeled over from the cuteness (and/or the heartbreak, depending on the setting).

So, this is it.  All things considering, it worked as a finale.  At least Henry finally acknowledges his feelings for Eliza and is willing to pursue it next time.  Now, it certainly possible that Eliza and Freddie will work out, and he lost his chance, but I'm certainly willing to believe that if/when they break up, Henry keeps his word, and it happens.  I'll take it.

I liked the main story of Eliza confronting someone else from her past, that played a part in how she turned out now.  Considering that bullying is still a big issue now, I certainly had no problems believing that it would happen and make Eliza try to overcompensate in the future.  But, I'm glad that it looked like she was willing to not let it effect her too much in the future.  A good victory for Eliza.

Henry's story wasn't as interesting, but still provided a few laughs.  He would find a way to make skateboarding boring.

It's just too bad.  I did think the pilot had issues, but I thought it recovered pretty quickly.  But I think that, the bad press, and the title just was too much for it to recover.  While I"m cautiously optimistic that Karen Gillan and John Cho will be fine, I am really going to miss them play off of each other and their interactions.  I thought the final montage showed that, even though they didn't even kiss yet, they actually had pretty great chemistry in the thirteen episodes.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 5

Awww.. what a great little show. I thought it was an ok ending and of course, a great episode. On Freddy I took it that it was saying how far Eliza has come that she has a great guy like Freddy (good looking and genuinely kind) so interested in her. Not a comment on how great they are as a couple. I also really liked that Henry really seemed to be getting that Eliza really didn't need a lot of changing. My discomfort with them as a couple was that he always seemed most happy when he was telling her what to do and now if he has kind of accepted maybe she doesn't need that... and he still likes her, I think that makes me ship them.

This show was so genuinely funny. I watched it on the train every Tuesday night and I had to stifle many laughs not to make a spectacle out of myself.  I thought it was so funny when he was talking to Charmonique and he is like "don't put that off on me" with regard to the dad. Died laughing when Eliza ended up burning herself trying to burn the mean girl.

Beyond the fact that this show had tight writing and great actors, I think what I most miss / like about it, was its sense of kindness. Despite how it started out, everyone on this show seemed to be genuinely kind and trying to be nice to the people in and around them. If there is a company out there like they all worked at, just tell me, and I will quit my job now and work for you. But I just really liked that work and I bet a lot of viewers did too. Very uplifting positive funny show with great messages.

Edited by BooBear
  • Love 3

Was the episode title, "I Woke Up Like This," actually spoken by one of the characters? I get that Eliza genuinely woke up as the person she was both in her youth and as an adult whereas the old classmate was faking it, but was there more to the title?

I'm kind of confused by the arc of the 13 episodes.  In Episodes 9-10-11, the romantic feelings between Henry and Eliza came out in the open, and it was complex, moving, and compelling.  Then that whole storyline basically got dropped in the last 2 episodes, and the characters almost act like it never happened.  It feels like the episodes were aired in the wrong order (although I know they weren't).

I know that there was only a limited amount of stuff that could be tinkered with after the cancellation notice, but I'm a little surprised the cute scene between Freddy and Eliza didn't get left on the cutting room floor after it was clear this was going to be the last episode.  Freddy loves Eliza, but Eliza doesn't love Freddy; she loves Henry.  That was established in prior episodes.  They could have tinkered without re-shooting.  Maybe something more like a shot of the yearbook photo with a voiceover saying, "And if there's one thing I've learned, it's that I deserve to be happy and I'm going to keep going after what I want," then moving into Henry's last scene.  But I guess it's like all the complaining about the ending of How I Met Your Mother.  The ending that's shown is the ending the creators wanted.

I am going to miss this show!

• Love 1

Been a while since I've had a show I've grown to like canceled on me. Of course, I should brace myself for the very likely cancellation of The 100 this year (which is one of my current favorite shows). But anyway, I'm still pissed. This show could have been if not a hit, but something perfectly able to hold on to 1.5s in the ratings. It was funny and sweet and well-acted, and Cho and Gillan had great chemistry. I wouldn't be bummed if the whole romance aspect has been allowed to play out, but as it is, I'm left unsatisfied. This show had a lot of room left to grow.

Edited by FurryFury

The first new comedy I've liked in a decade and it's canceled. I loved the leads, the supporting cast and the overall quirkiness of the show.

IMO, the montage showed how much chemistry there was between Cho and Karen.

I really hope it's put on DVD

• Love 2

Loved this ep, have loved all the eps. I was doing great, just enjoying the show, ignoring that this was the end, until they did that montage. I cried. I'm not ashamed, I'm not going to pretend it was allergies or whatnot, because this show deserves the truth. I cried. I cried because this is the last time I will get to share new moments with these characters. Sure, I will rewatch and enjoy every single ep, but I look forward to these characters, I don't care what they are doing. They are great, all of them. Such a stupendous cast of characters, such sharp, clever, fun writing, perfectly cast actors who inhabited their characters so completely. I am sure they will all go on to something new, but I will miss them together. Much the way I feel about the Happy Endings crew. Thrilled to see them all working, but wish they were still together.

I am sadder at the cancellation of this show as I've been in a long time. It makes me sad for the state of television that such a sweet, well made, fun show can't get more than 13 eps while we get yet another iteration of the "reality" of redneck life, and some other town full of slutty, bitchy housewives with far too much money and all the other crap I flip through every day looking for anything worth watching. I've come to realize, pretty much everything worth watching gets cancelled before anyone really gets to watch it.

Thank you to everyone involved in putting this show on the air if only for a short time. I will miss you Selfie.

• Love 7

Outside of the "happily ever after" I would have liked for Henry and Eliza, this was the best ending I could have hoped for. 

Of course he's got feeling for her regardless, but when he tried to make her feel good about herself, he used examples of her past behavior that the past Henry would have found slutty and inappropriate. He might still not like her promiscuity (especially now that he's grown to love her), but he isn't slut-shaming her anymore.

Well said by you and well-done by the show. The change Eliza and Henry inspired in each other was so nice to see. 

I just really loved this show. I'm grateful we got to see the last handful of episodes after it was cancelled and I will not watch anything that John Cho and Karen Gillian are in. 

This article was a good-read and nice summation of the series: Let’s Pour One Out for Selfie

I know it is probably too late but I signed the petition linked there if only in the hopes that someone involved in the show will read what I wrote about how brilliant their show was.

I really hate that this show won't go on. :(

In my sadness at the show ending, I feel the need to point some rage at the person responsible for this show's demise - whoever had the idea to name it "Selfie." I'm so sick of wonderful ABC comedies suffering because of terrible names - Better Off Ted, Don't Trust the B**** in Apt. 23, Cougartown and Happy Endings come to mind.

Anyway, I have to say, I almost wish they hadn't played up the Eliza/Henry romance, being as they couldn't finish it. Freddy was a good match for Eliza, and Julia was a good match for Henry, and seeing those two couples happily together would have been a lot more appealing to me than the very awkward way they ended things.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 1

Kevin!

Oh, that was sweet. Loved Eliza's realization that she didn't need to look to anyone but herself for inspiration. (And with her hair cutting, it looks like they were paving the way to get rid of the wigs.) Henry coaching/cheerleading when Eliza confronted Corynn was adorable. Also loved the bookstore security guard who was totally cool with Eliza jumping Corynn as long as it was outside of the store.

Imagine my GLEE when I looked at my Watchlist (Comcast - GAG), and saw there was another NEW episode of Selfie!!  Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Happy 4th of July, and Happy Thanksgiving to me!! And it was such a good episode!!  The ending montage?? **fans self**  Yes look at your supreme awesomeness, John Cho, on that big white horse!!! The only thing I had a problem with was the whole thing with that McWaters chick.  I was literally yelling at my TV, "Tweet!!! Blog!!! Post!!! Do what you do girl but expose that biatch!!!!!" The Eliza I grew to love would have wasted no time doing that.  Having said that?  I have watched it three times already.

ETA:  I was majorly disappointed when John Cho did not throw down some mad skateboard moves.  He grew up in Cali.  I thought it was a possibility!! Alas, no. :(

Edited by KYBlonde
  • Love 1

In my sadness at the show ending, I feel the need to point some rage at the person responsible for this show - whoever had the idea to name it "Selfie." I'm so sick of wonderful ABC comedies have suffered because of terrible names - Better Off Ted, Don't Trust the B**** in Apt. 23, Cougartown and Happy Endings come to mind....

Good point that ABC seems to have a history of this problem. Maybe all the media outcry about this show's damaging title in combination with this show's lost potential will put a stop to whoever is responsible. In this case, it's not only a title with a negative connotation, but linguistically, there could scarcely be a worst choice for SEO (Search Engine Optimization). I mean, if you Googled the word selfie, the show was not going to pop up.

...Anyway, I have to say, I almost wish they hadn't played up the Eliza/Henry romance, being as they couldn't finish it. Freddy was a good match for Eliza, and Julia was a good match for Henry, and seeing those two couples happily together would have been a lot more appealing to me than the very awkward way they ended things.

Blakeston, I'm not sure if bitterness/sour grapes is one of the 5 (or is it 7?) Stages of Grief, but here's a virtual hug: ((((())))) Heh. As Eliza and Charmonique would say: I feel ya.
  • Love 2
but linguistically, there could scarcely be a worst choice for SEO (Search Engine Optimization). I mean, if you Googled the word selfie, the show was not going to pop up.

That's actually a really good point. Social media is here to stay and having a show with a hashtag that is this generic, a google search that one would have to dig through to even get to the show, is not good marketing. Also, the title doesn't get to the heart of the show. If Karen Gillan hadn't been the star I wouldn't have even watched the commercials for a show called Selfie. I don't want to watch a show about some self obsessed internet star. Ugh. But that's not what this show was really about. Not by a long shot.

Sadly, the show was doomed from the start because it was called Selfie and it was on ABC which has a habit of killing shows just before they start to find their groove. Oh how I wish this would get a second life on Amazon or Netflix or anywhere. I would subscribe to Netflix just to watch it. (I already have Amazon Prime so that would be ideal).

I can't help but wonder, if they'd marketed this show differently, focusing more on the My Fair Lady aspect and the incredibly chemistry of the leads (and whole cast, really), and given it a better title, would it have had a better chance?

At least we got to see Karen Gillan's amazing comedic talent. This leaves me hopeful we shall see her again. I'm just sad it probably won't be with John Cho because these two work great together.

• Love 1

but linguistically, there could scarcely be a worst choice for SEO (Search Engine Optimization). I mean, if you Googled the word selfie, the show was not going to pop up.

That's actually a really good point. Social media is here to stay and having a show with a hashtag that is this generic, a google search that one would have to dig through to even get to the show, is not good marketing.

But are people really that stupid??  Please tell me they are not.  You can get on IMDB and find out anything you want to know about any show past, present or future.  More, actually.

It's not about stupidity, it's about a lack of awareness. To me the commercials didn't tell me much about the show. So let's say I'm mildly curious and google Selfie but then have to sift through page after page of random people taking pictures of themselves. I'm going to just give up, shrug and forget all about the show. If I see someone twitter something about Selfie and I'm all, What is that about?

These days, with shows getting such a short period of time to find an audience, things like title, searchability on the internet, hashtagability, buzz, this is important. To survive on network television a show has to get the buzz before it even starts. A name that is also a popular phrase isn't a good idea. It would be like naming a show Grumpy Cat or Angry Birds. The show isn't the first thing that's going to pop up with you google search selfie and most people won't bother going too many pages in to find it. Those who do are already watching so it doesn't matter.

• Love 1

...Oh how I wish this would get a second life on Amazon or Netflix or anywhere. I would subscribe to Netflix just to watch it. (I already have Amazon Prime so that would be ideal)....

Hmmm...: "second life." Now I'm picturing a virtual version of the show in Second Life with digitally tweaked voices to sound like Karen Gillan and John Cho et al. if the actors aren't available. Maybe for copyright reasons the characters will have to be named Lizzie and Harry. If I was in a 30-year younger body, I could march into some exec's office (or if this was 2045, my avatar would virtually march in) and sell this! Yes. The demise of this show has clearly pushed me over the edge, including delusions of grandeur.
  • Love 2

I'll post my thoughts on the rest of the episode at another time but all I want for the rest of my life is to see John Cho wearing a hoodie and Converse's.

Edited by Geeni
  • Love 1

Was the episode title, "I Woke Up Like This," actually spoken by one of the characters? I get that Eliza genuinely woke up as the person she was both in her youth and as an adult whereas the old classmate was faking it, but was there more to the title?

Its a line from Beyonce's ***Flawless. Its all about female power so I love that they used it to tie into the episode where Eliza embraces herself.

• Love 2

It's not about stupidity, it's about a lack of awareness. To me the commercials didn't tell me much about the show. So let's say I'm mildly curious and google Selfie but then have to sift through page after page of random people taking pictures of themselves. I'm going to just give up, shrug and forget all about the show. If I see someone twitter something about Selfie and I'm all, What is that about?

These days, with shows getting such a short period of time to find an audience, things like title, searchability on the internet, hashtagability, buzz, this is important. To survive on network television a show has to get the buzz before it even starts. A name that is also a popular phrase isn't a good idea. It would be like naming a show Grumpy Cat or Angry Birds. The show isn't the first thing that's going to pop up with you google search selfie and most people won't bother going too many pages in to find it. Those who do are already watching so it doesn't matter.

Except I just searched  "Selfie" and its  WIKI and IMDB  spots popped up as 3rd and 4th  on Google. And is Selfie  a worse title than Mom or Big Bang Theory ?

Though "Looking at me , Looking at you" might have been a better  and more romantic title. 

Edited by The Kings Foot
  • Love 1

Except I just searched  "Selfie" and its  WIKI and IMDB  spots popped up as 3rd and 4th  on Google. And is Selfie  a worse title than Mom or Big Bang Theory ?

Though "Looking at me , Looking at you" might have been a better  and more romantic title. 

And too little too late. It wasn't even popping up that high a week ago.

True, but I feel like all writers of freshman series should write 1x13 like it could be the series finale. And she knew the ratings weren't great. It just felt like she was hedging on it being picked up, when she should've known after seeing the ratings for the first episode that its chances of survival were slim. I wish she'd started writing towards an ending then -- being realistic instead of optimistic

THIS. I'm not sure what Emily Kapneck was thinking, but that was stooopid. Why not write a 13th episode that could work as a series finale? Even producers/writers with 3-4 seasons under their belts think that way when they know there is a chance their show won't come back. Such a lack of respect for the audience, IMO.

This said, the episode was nice. Not their best (that will remain being episode 4), but very nice with lovely growth for both Eliza and Henry. Had the show survived, I think Eliza/Henry would be the endgame, but alas, we will never see it.

I'm going to miss Selfie a lot. Such a nice great show. Here wishing the best to all actors involved. 

Edited by Raachel2008
  • Love 1

It worked as a finale for me, but then I don't mind open-ended endings.

I'm just sad it didn't get another 13 episodes.

If it had been planned as a limited 13 episode mini-series, that would have been okay too. But I can't really fault the writer for believing that this was more than a one-season show.

• Love 1

Time Warner completely failed me so I had to wait until ABC unlocked the episode today. Wow.

I believe part of the title was Eliza spending 3 hours to make people think she wakes up looking the way she does.

I guess the Corynn thing was supposed to be about Eliza not having to bomb someone with social media to feel better about herself. It still felt a lot like HIMYM and the whole "The Wedding Bride" storyline. Henry faced his fear, but still ate pavement because that's what facing your fear means sometimes.

This is the first time in a while that I've gotten so into a one-season show that was cancelled. Over the last decade or so, I've come to believe that most of the time an incredible freshman season will eventually lead to increasingly crappy seasons after it. I loved shows like "Brimstone" and "Now and Again" and it might be because they went out with peak quality. I stopped watching "Glee" and "Lost" after the first season because they seemed like a let down after the first season. I end up watching shows like "Revenge" that get worse by the week out of some lingering interest in the show.

I don't even know how a satisfying series finale for "Selfie" would work. Eliza and Henry get married? Eliza becoming a smart, polished professional and Henry becoming a charming, fun-loving dude? Henry and Eliza starting a life coaching business? The best ending to Selfie was in the first episode where Henry told Eliza to experience a moment and not just post it. The same applied to Henry, who spent so much of his time staying in the lines that he didn't really experience what life had to offer, either.

• Love 3

It took me a week to finally watch this because I didn't want to deal with the fact that this was the last show.

If I'm being objective, it probably wasn't one of their best. The supporting cast was practically non-existent, the antagonist didn't get her comeuppance, and Henry's story seemed pretty forced.  However, as a finale, it worked. I liked that Henry was finally at a place where he could admit that he had feelings for Eliza. I also liked that Eliza and Henry weren't forced together at the end for the sake of a happy ending.

Their  relationship is probably my most favorite sitcom relationship of 2014. I loved how they constantly challenged each other to get better. If you look from the pilot to the finale you could see a difference in both. 

It saddens me that they got done in by a horrific pilot, a name that's not as clever as the writer thinks and that time slot.  I really don't get why they couldn't have run out the first season and then cancelled it it's not like they have anything that's going to improve the ratings.

Edited by Oscirus
  • Love 2

It took me a week to finally watch this because I didn't want to deal with the fact that this was the last show.

If I'm being objective, it probably wasn't one of their best. The supporting cast was practically non-existent, the antagonist didn't get her comeuppance, and Henry's story seemed pretty forced.  However, as a finale, it worked. I liked that Henry was finally at a place where he could admit that he had feelings for Eliza. I also liked that Eliza and Henry weren't forced together at the end for the sake of a happy ending.

Their  relationship is probably my most favorite sitcom relationship of 2014. I loved how they constantly challenged each other to get better. If you look from the pilot to the finale you could see a difference in both. 

It saddens me that they got done in by a horrific pilot, a name that's not as clever as the writer thinks and that time slot.  I really don't get why they couldn't have run out the first season and then cancelled it it's not like they have anything that's going to improve the ratings.

Yes and on my TV guide they have had unannounced title for the Selfie spot.  If you don't have something to replace it......WTF.  still mad.

Edited by applecrisp

Late to the end of show party, but tonight I finally binged on the burn off episodes. And I laughed, teared up, and remembered why I loved this little sweet show. And still hate ABC for giving up on it.

Bye Selfie. I'd totally buy the series on blu ray or DVD.

• Love 4