Type keyword(s) to search

Tiny House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Thanks.  The full piece is about a 1.5 minutes longer and has a regular house hunter chunk and a closer to the Tiny House hunters part.  They just cut it for short attention spans.  I may post the full bit in the future and if I do I will let you know

Do please post the longer one, I really liked that. 
You could make a longer one by asking a friend to let you park in their yard.

• Love 1

Yes, I would like to hear more humor too. I don't think the whole "movement" is dumb but it does have its craziness and not well thought out ideas, that will give fodder to many comedians.

I also noticed on sites like Tiny House Listings, the prices are going up. I see 50, 60, and even over 100.000! If it's Cape Cod, I understand it, but this is anywhere. The whole idea of spending 99,000 on a home on wheels (like the beach tiny house for sale now) is crazy to me.  You aren't hooked up to electricity or septic and many times, there is no land, land is the most money usually.

I saw a tiny house hunting where they were in Jackson Hole WY and looking a tiny house communities. I realized these weren't really "communities" but cottages people used when visiting ski resorts, etc. and the owners are saying, hey if people will buy them, lets go for it. I guess they said that is the next big thing since they are built already.

• Love 2

One thing i find amazing about this movement and the american mentality is how marketing and branding can influence perceptions.  For example, i wonder what people living in trailer parks and trailer park homes think?  When you strip away the "trendy" marketing, whats the difference between trailer park homes and these mobile tiny houses?

• Love 10

Zack wasn't putting down RV's, but he said he lived in one and didn't like it, it felt like a trailer. These homes feel like homes, the wood/insulation, other amenities, make it more home-like. I think it is also because trailers have a certain stigma around some but a small home, same size, looks like a cottage, doesn't.

The downside is RV's have certain zoning rules built in, they have to meet certain guidelines, Tiny Homes don't. Some people that left their tiny homes said they couldn't even park at an RV park. (not sure why in each case)

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, debraran said:

Zack wasn't putting down RV's, but he said he lived in one and didn't like it, it felt like a trailer. These homes feel like homes, the wood/insulation, other amenities, make it more home-like. I think it is also because trailers have a certain stigma around some but a small home, same size, looks like a cottage, doesn't.

The downside is RV's have certain zoning rules built in, they have to meet certain guidelines, Tiny Homes don't. Some people that left their tiny homes said they couldn't even park at an RV park. (not sure why in each case)

the negatives stigma is what i was getting at by saying marketing has influenced perception.   the thing though for these mobile tiny house that people want to haul around the country, is that they are not as well suited for that like RVs and mobile homes which are  engineered from ground up with that in mind.  the way glass doors and windows are installed with rubber bushings, being weight conscious, with limited hard stones, that won't break while going over bumps and put holes,, not to mention, RVs and mobile homes are more sturdy, and more mobile.

regarding trailer homes, the results you get is a function of how you decide to set up and decorate them.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, dga28 said:

the negatives stigma is what i was getting at by saying marketing has influenced perception.   the thing though for these mobile tiny house that people want to haul around the country, is that they are not as well suited for that like RVs and mobile homes which are  engineered from ground up with that in mind.  the way glass doors and windows are installed with rubber bushings, being weight conscious, with limited hard stones, that won't break while going over bumps and put holes,, not to mention, RVs and mobile homes are more sturdy, and more mobile.

regarding trailer homes, the results you get is a function of how you decide to set up and decorate them.

Yes, I agree. Some tiny homes are built well for travel but some are more suited to stand alone. Different articles I have read from some TH owners , there was an ignorance about weight, towing, what to do if a tire blew or other mishap. I think RV owners are better prepared because what they wanted was more defined. Some of the tiny home new owners are looking at adult playhouses and that gets old.

Zack's house is perfect for him, he does a lot of skiing and it's small, he built it and although minus a bathroom (!) he works that out with being near one. I think if you build it, it's like a part of you. And there's no getting around a wooden cedar home, with siding and wooden porch, french doors,  is more visually appealing but practical, that's another story.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
On May 20, 2016 at 1:21 AM, DG411 said:

They keep trying to get us used to living in smaller and smaller places until we are all crammed into 2x2 cubes and can be plugged into the matrix. This trend has been driving me so crazy I ended up doing a stand-up bit about it at the Comedy Works in Denver.

Tiny House Hunters Stand-Up  
***Some adult language***

The way they break your will is taking your flush toilet away.  Then they make you skulk around like a hunchback just to get to bed, and you keep banging your damn head, even if you are only 5'2.    Take away a person's throne and bang their head repeatedly.   It's all in the master plan.   That was a pretty good set, by the way.  

• Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

The way they break your will is taking your flush toilet away.  

Totally agree with you on that point.  I've been meaning to research composting toilets in hope that they work differently from how I think they do.

Edited by DG411
  • Love 2
On 5/20/2016 at 0:58 PM, Kohola3 said:

And in the immortal words of Dr. Johnny Fever:  "God must hate trailer parks, because He always sends tornadoes there first!"

Heads up, tiny house people.

My solution to this problem? Decoy parks that are nothing but bunches of empty trailers.

• Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, DG411 said:

Totally agree with you on that point.  I've been meaning to research composting toilets in hope that they work differently from how I think they do.

Me too, I was surprised at how expensive some were and how little explanation is given by some sites. Emptying every 2 days to 2 weeks, I wonder how "composted" it is and what a human waste compost pile is like (no, I really don't want to see one) I know one woman who had a composting toilet and tiny home stated, she still couldn't use the compost on her vegetable garden, just flowers, I just can't she said, even if she knew it was okay.

What I found fascinating was a vacuum bag toilet someone showed Zack. Little bags fill up like a "diaper genie" if you ever saw one of them. But how many bags do you need and how much are they? What if it doesn't work? http://www.dry-flush.com/videos/

This video had me shaking my head but someone will think it's cool I imagine.  

I just realized how in some way, outhouses seemed like less trouble and I was very happy to have my flushing toilet. lol

Zack got a richer family an incinerating toilet...seems it turns waste to ash but videos of it were disgusting. (maybe a malfunction) Over 1000.00 usually

Edited by debraran
6 hours ago, debraran said:

What I found fascinating was a vacuum bag toilet someone showed Zack. Little bags fill up like a "diaper genie" if you ever saw one of them. But how many bags do you need and how much are they? What if it doesn't work?

Is this the one in those ads I've, for toilets you can put in a closet, or anywhere, without plumbing?

On 5/30/2016 at 9:15 AM, dga28 said:

When you strip away the "trendy" marketing, whats the difference between trailer park homes and these mobile tiny houses?

Trailer park homes have water, sewer, electricity and gas, water heaters, full appliances and mail delivery.  You also don't have to walk around on your knees in a loft "bedroom" because they have real rooms, and your "couch" isn't some foam on top of a wooden box.  And if you go a little upscale, you might be in a very nice, clean, family friendly trailer park near a lake with a community pool and playground...my aunt and uncle lived in a trailer park home with their two kids for a while, and it was quite nice and much more comfortable than these tiny homes.  Trailer park homes > tiny houses with no sewer or water.

• Love 6

According to the tiny housers who actually talk about composting toilets (they seem to be like fight club-never mention them). The poopy is dehydrated.  It seems the water in poop is the stink vessel, and once it is removed,. The poop is odorless.   I don't know how they explain dry pee, which is stinkier than wet pee.  

I I think the reason these things are illegal in most places is because you can't have a large number of people dealing with their own waste, and even if the poo is rendered stink less (I highly doubt,. Smell a dried cat turd and tell me what you think)  it is still a health hazard.  

Anyway, the best way to kill a romance is to have your partner hear and smell you pooping. So these people must not be getting much action.  

• Love 4
On 5/24/2016 at 5:42 PM, SoCalAgain said:

I have a lot of opinions as to the insanity of living in a tiny home full time.  I won't go into them-- and they are numerous- but it's the fire thing that scares me the most.  Only one egress point when you may have multiple people sleeping in lofts, with maybe only a ladder, or better yet, a ridiculous climbing wall.  i can't imagine many of these tiny homes are permitted, which makes me also wonder about transfer of ownership.

This is why we have to have such fire safety codes, in part. To save the short-sighted idiots who can't see serious self-harm and dangers from their own silliness. And also because it's nice to have an expert like that because no one wants to go "yeah, could have been prevented, had someone investigated that" when it comes to people dying fiery deaths.

• Love 1
(edited)

There was an article about fire codes and tiny home dwellers saying "leave us alone" kind of like seat belt mentality. But if you are near other people OR responsible for other people living with you, there should be codes. Why not have protection from hazards? Some reputable tiny home builders cringe at what they see on TV, propane stoves too close to things, too large for room, things I honestly don't always see. Their eyes look at more mechanical things, mine at the loft or cool thing Zack did.

There are a lot of practical things to consider and maybe because most can't get a mortgage, inspections aren't needed. I've read stories of happy tiny home dwellers but they had a bumpy start. One woman loved her home, but had pipes freeze, no one told her they can't stay exposed, she had water issues with it running out too soon, you can't do laundry, shower, dishes, etc like you do in a regular home. Another family had a smoke fire with overloading outlets, another didn't insulate well enough, another realized the loft was an oven in warm weather and the skylights made it worse. I remember when the Steampunk home was for sale, seeing 2 fans in the sons loft.  (I would melt) : /

Again, if you want to live in a very tiny home, spend 40,000 or up, know all the good and the bad, just don't think design.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2

The dire toilet situation in these places has me questioning why they'd choose to inflict this nightmare on themselves? Composting toilets where concerns for overuse is always at the back of your mind? Smells coming from "dry flush" toilets and bags that get full if you pee more than 2-3 times? This all seems like backwards evolution, so to think that people actually chose to live like this is insane to me.

I don't know about you guys, but a flushing toilet connected to the sewer system is a must-have life essential for me.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, Tony said:

The dire toilet situation in these places has me questioning why they'd choose to inflict this nightmare on themselves? Composting toilets where concerns for overuse is always at the back of your mind? Smells coming from "dry flush" toilets and bags that get full if you pee more than 2-3 times? This all seems like backwards evolution, so to think that people actually chose to live like this is insane to me.

I don't know about you guys, but a flushing toilet connected to the sewer system is a must-have life essential for me.

For me also, at least on a regular basis. Maybe because I have a family, 3 kids, I think of how fast it would have be changed, the vomiting and other issues that go with being sick, the many trips at night, just wouldn't work. The vacuum bags video had a FAQ section and someone asked "what do I do if one of my guests forgets to put a bag in?" He said "clean it, it's washable". Nuff said.

I wonder how they get rid of of grey water from the shower, sink, laundry?

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Tony said:

One of the greatest creations of human civilization, if not THE greatest, is the flush toilet.  No way would I give that up to live in a glorified garden shed if it wasn't a matter of life and death.

• Love 12

What I don't get about this is what some consider "tiny houses."  I've seen some houses that are the size of a one bedroom apartment, and they're called "tiny houses."  I live in a one bedroom apartment and it's fine for me, I don't think it's tiny at all.  I don't need to live in 50000 square feet to feel okay.  

But those lofts are just silly to me, as are those composting toilets.  I think sometimes younger people don't think about the things in life that can happen.  If you get hurt, you can't climb up to the loft, if you're ill and have to go to the bathroom often, what happens with a composting toilet?  How do you even get down to the toilet if you have a loft bed?  Years ago, I had a friend who lived in a studio apartment; he built a loft bed and the apartment did have more space because of it.  He was young when he lived there, he no longer lives there.  Maybe these tiny homes are more for younger people.  

• Love 3

That's why I like Tiny House World the best of them all.  It's Tiny House Hunters, International flavor, and most of those places are apartments or small houses, and fewer sheds on wheels with composting toilets.  And there's Adrienne Leeds in Paris!  They end up being real homes for people (as much as is real on this show). 

We were already seeing some of that with the tiny apartments in Paris and Amsterdam and elsewhere before the tiny house marketing craze hit cable tv, so most of the Tiny House World people are just looking for an affordable place to own in their location of choice rather than falling for some hype.

• Love 5

You know what I hate?  The HHs refer to their house as "their tiny house".  Where am I going to park my tiny house?  I love my bedroom in my tiny house.  Me:  rolling my eyes.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, izabella said:

That's why I like Tiny House World the best of them all.  It's Tiny House Hunters, International flavor, and most of those places are apartments or small houses, and fewer sheds on wheels with composting toilets.  And there's Adrienne Leeds in Paris!  They end up being real homes for people (as much as is real on this show). 

We were already seeing some of that with the tiny apartments in Paris and Amsterdam and elsewhere before the tiny house marketing craze hit cable tv, so most of the Tiny House World people are just looking for an affordable place to own in their location of choice rather than falling for some hype.

I like it too. My daughters did a year abroad in Europe for college and will agree, living "tiny" is normal for most of Europe unless you are rich (and even then to some degree) I don't know how many places are actually for sale, but for me, it's seeing some of the areas in France or Scotland or Ireland, etc. is nice.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, debraran said:

I like it too. My daughters did a year abroad in Europe for college and will agree, living "tiny" is normal for most of Europe unless you are rich (and even then to some degree) I don't know how many places are actually for sale, but for me, it's seeing some of the areas in France or Scotland or Ireland, etc. is nice.

I saw a Tiny House World in Devon, and was thrilled to see houses with actual bedrooms where the house hunter could stand up straight.  Plus, Dartmoor is beautiful.

• Love 3

On the other hand, my favorite Tiny House World was the young Australian couple, who bought the cool pop-up one, sans toliet--but it was OK because it was parked in her parents backyard.

(edited)

I am a New Englander and I can't believe that some of these Tiny Houses have wood stoves.  First of all, these stoves are extremely HOT and you can not get too close to them and they usually take up a lot of space in the room.  In a tiny house "living area" the wood stove would take away most of your space.  Second, you have to store piles of wood to feed to the stove.  You can store most of it outside, however, you would have to have an area inside the house to store wood for your immediate heating needs.  That takes away even more space in the "living area".  Also, wood stoves are a fire hazard.  Yes, wood stoves are cozy in the winter but they are not suitable for a Tiny Home.

Edited by movingtargetgal
  • Love 8

Are we doing "Tiny House, Big Living" here since it's on HGTV, or does it belong in the genre forum?

Anyway, I watched the Alaska carpenters building a 200-square-foot tiny house for their family of four because I wanted to see the Alaskan scenery.

They lost me when they said they weren't building a bathroom inside and instead they would build an outhouse. (I might be a bear -- a big, bearded gay man -- but I don't shit in the woods.) It also didn't have a refrigerator, because, apparently, in Alaska people have coolers on their porches.

I was also confused as to whether the family was going to live there full-time or just for the summer or just on jobs.

• Love 2

I agree, that would be too "rustic" for me, especially with kids. I think some couples don't mention it, but they do only live there part time. A lot of tiny homes get on airbnb to rent also. (even some from tiny house nation)

I was watching a show where the couple built a tiny home mostly on their own for 5500 and wanted to take it from Denver to skiing destinations. My daughter who is 24 and looking for work always marvels how many people say they are going across the country to see sites, ski, do a travel log, etc. and no one mentions money or jobs. (that is tv magic)

I assume they have savings or trust funds because gas alone pulling a home, has to be expensive.

• Love 5

I was watching Tiny House, Big Living a week or two ago and it was about one of the actors from Turn (on AMC).  I can't remember his name, but he plays Ben.  Anyhow, his tiny house was what he wanted to have on shooting sites instead of a trailer.  It was going to be off the grid, with a wind turbine attached to the front of the trailer base, solar panels on the roof and a water catchment system that had three filters so the water would be potable, and of course the ever popular composting toilet.  The inside had all kinds of nifty things too.  Hope it works out for him.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Ava said:

I was watching Tiny House, Big Living a week or two ago and it was about one of the actors from Turn (on AMC).  I can't remember his name, but he plays Ben.  Anyhow, his tiny house was what he wanted to have on shooting sites instead of a trailer.  It was going to be off the grid, with a wind turbine attached to the front of the trailer base, solar panels on the roof and a water catchment system that had three filters so the water would be potable, and of course the ever popular composting toilet.  The inside had all kinds of nifty things too.  Hope it works out for him.

That's not a bad use for a tiny home.

17 hours ago, Ava said:

Anyhow, his tiny house was what he wanted to have on shooting sites instead of a trailer.

I missed that episode.  Was it actually mobile?  Wind turbines, solar panels, water catchment systems, etc., sounds like it's less than portable to different filming sites.

His plan was to live in it, and he claimed it would be able to be towed by a pickup.  The wind turbine seemed to be mounted right on the front part of the towing bar so I don't know how practical that would be.  The water catchment tank was on the back of the tiny house and the solar panels were on the roof, three on each side of the peaked roof. The inside of the house was quite neat as well.  He had a table constructed so that it could be expanded to seat six  (with seating) and there was a built-in love seat surrounded by a floor to ceiling bookcase on both sides and along the top.  This was situated at the end of the tiny house so it was facing the loft area.  Right under the loft was a pull-down movie screen.  I was really impressed with the layout - it was practical and attractive and actually looked quite comfortable, unlike a lot of others I've seen on the shows.

On June 1, 2016 at 9:16 PM, NYGirl said:

You know what I hate?  The HHs refer to their house as "their tiny house".  Where am I going to park my tiny house?  I love my bedroom in my tiny house.  Me:  rolling my eyes.

Lol.  Not that woman who had her tiny home stolen while she was gadding about doing important tiny house people stuff   When I read that,  I snorted out a whole booger.   Sure that's mean and gross,  but imagine the fun the people at 911 had after.  "911.  what's your emergency?"    "Someone stole my house!!!"    

It does cheese me off when they make it a compound word.  "Say Clyde,  do you want to drop some sawdust off to my TinyHouse after work so I can take this poop I've been holding all day?  I'm in the last TinyHouse on the left.  I hope you like dogs,  because we have 5 fur babies in the TinyHouse".   

• Love 5
On 6/8/2016 at 6:57 PM, Ava said:

His plan was to live in it, and he claimed it would be able to be towed by a pickup.  The wind turbine seemed to be mounted right on the front part of the towing bar so I don't know how practical that would be.  The water catchment tank was on the back of the tiny house and the solar panels were on the roof, three on each side of the peaked roof. The inside of the house was quite neat as well.  He had a table constructed so that it could be expanded to seat six  (with seating) and there was a built-in love seat surrounded by a floor to ceiling bookcase on both sides and along the top.  This was situated at the end of the tiny house so it was facing the loft area.  Right under the loft was a pull-down movie screen.  I was really impressed with the layout - it was practical and attractive and actually looked quite comfortable, unlike a lot of others I've seen on the shows.

That thing made zero sense to me. To transform it to a bed they had to take the headboard from the loft, then slide some two ottomans side-by-side and then slap 3 sections of foam together. It seems like so much effort when they could have gone with a ready-made sofa bed designed for this purpose. It also would have been a hell of a lot more comfortable too.

(edited)

I've seen shows/blogs where a home or bus or RV was transformed so the table and chairs with about 4 different moves, transformed into a bed. In most updates, the couple just kept the bed and used a tray or folding table for eating. Those things are not very useful for daily living, maybe as a spare for a guest.

I know I still have too much clutter, but I couldn't keep cleaning off my tables for them to be a bed or vice versa. I also can't see it being very comfortable.

Zack has done some creative things with desks and pulling out blocks out of the wall that transform into chairs and tables, but how many people realistically will keep doing that? I wasn't surprised when a desk built into stair that had to be moved or workstation that had to be created with too many steps was abandoned.  You can only do so much with a small space, not faulting Zack on being creative, but most of us want ease of use and a novel idea can become tiring in the long haul. Some of the demands of such a tiny space would take a magician!   I do like folding tables and storage in stairs or floors, taking advantage of areas usually ignored. I wish larger homes had these things incorporated in them, 1100 sq feet might not be tiny, but could benefit from using space better.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 2:30 AM, debraran said:

I agree, that would be too "rustic" for me, especially with kids. I think some couples don't mention it, but they do only live there part time. A lot of tiny homes get on airbnb to rent also. (even some from tiny house nation)

I was watching a show where the couple built a tiny home mostly on their own for 5500 and wanted to take it from Denver to skiing destinations. My daughter who is 24 and looking for work always marvels how many people say they are going across the country to see sites, ski, do a travel log, etc. and no one mentions money or jobs. (that is tv magic)

I assume they have savings or trust funds because gas alone pulling a home, has to be expensive.

Does your daughter realize that HH is a drama, not a documentary?  And, that, unless she locates said blog, etc., the THH episode was fantasy?

Some of these participants may apply for the same jobs and carry the same student loan load as a few of her friends.  They'll travel no farther than their parents' backyard!  Off the grid?  Sure - as long as their folks' basement shower and game room remains accessible!

• Love 3

Ok, I've commented on this before, but I just saw the episode again where the idiot father with the 11 year old daughter moved into the unfinished shed with the fire trap lofts.   Call me sexist, but if you are an adult male with a child and can't afford 64k to house your child in modest comfort and safety, you aren't a man.  You are a loser piece of shit.   If your stupid ass can't afford 64 fucking K for a house, you can't afford to go to Europe.  This idiot is an educator?  I'd homeschool if I were in his school district.   Someone please tell me the daughter never actually had to stay overnight in that shed  with that idiot.  Hopefully her mother put the kibosh on that right quick.  

• Love 4
(edited)
On 6/16/2016 at 5:19 AM, debraran said:

I've seen shows/blogs where a home or bus or RV was transformed so the table and chairs with about 4 different moves, transformed into a bed. In most updates, the couple just kept the bed and used a tray or folding table for eating. Those things are not very useful for daily living, maybe as a spare for a guest.

I love anything miniature!  That's why I work with kids.  Love the idea of a tiny house and saw one being pulled down the highway recently.  My brother lives on a nice piece of property (4 acres, some uncleared, creek, pool, outbuildings etc).  He is now thinking of building one himself with a living room, kitchenette, bedroom and bath.  The toilet and such would be hooked into the septic system.  He plans on using it as a guest room for his kids.  His eldest daughter is married with 3 kids and they get the RV and now his son and his wife are expecting a child.  He gutted and made an old travel trailer into a changing room for the pool and that has been a big hit, as well as being cute as heck.

This is like his but belongs to caravan Wendy.

Living full time with a family?  They are out of their minds.  Composting toilets in a tiny space?  Mmmm no.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 3

I agree, as a full time living situation, I think most of them are ridiculous and impractical. However, I can really picture creating a vacation compound with several tiny "units" and each one having a different purpose. 

Every once and awhile they show tiny/small houses with their own foundations. They are usually in the 500-750 sq.ft. range and have some outdoor space. Now those I can see being more practical and livable. I wish we saw more in that size range.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Grneyedldy said:

I agree, as a full time living situation, I think most of them are ridiculous and impractical. However, I can really picture creating a vacation compound with several tiny "units" and each one having a different purpose. 

Every once and awhile they show tiny/small houses with their own foundations. They are usually in the 500-750 sq.ft. range and have some outdoor space. Now those I can see being more practical and livable. I wish we saw more in that size range.

i have been thinking about a poolhouse and think one (400-500sq-ft) on a foundation with full utilities would make a good pool/guesthouse next to the pool...

• Love 2
(edited)

I love the foundation homes, Tiny House Nation has been having more of them. They might not be as "cute" in some ways, but they last and zoning is cleared ahead of time. The last one, a Victorian, was very nice, they did one in Kansas for a large family, a gothic home for a family of 3 and a few others.

I would love a cottage as a vacation home but that wont happen, maybe a tiny home on vacation one day.

I hope THN is more discriminating with couples in the future, so many think it's a great idea and then realize, they miss the stuff they gave away or want more room, or they want a family.

I saw an episode of Tiny House Big Living(Tanner family)  and a father actually made a houst for his upcoming baby to be carried into the loft so they wouldn't have to hold him on the ladder. My daughter was horrified, 'What if it wiggles out as it gets bigger or it breaks?"  I just shook my head. 

http://www.hgtv.com/design-blog/shows/9-things-you-never-thought-youd-see-in-a-tiny-home

third one down in pics

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3

I just saw a promo for one of the Tiny House shows and I feel really mean.  One of the couples they showed were of ample proportions - like 50% of the population! and I kept thinking, ok a tiny house might work for skinny little 20 somethings.  But for those of us coping with middle aged spread are you serious??

• Love 5
On 7/2/2016 at 8:18 PM, CherryAmes said:

I just saw a promo for one of the Tiny House shows and I feel really mean.  One of the couples they showed were of ample proportions - like 50% of the population! and I kept thinking, ok a tiny house might work for skinny little 20 somethings.  But for those of us coping with middle aged spread are you serious??

Oh, tell me they want a sleeping loft too. 

• Love 3

While some of the people on these shows are probably certifiably insane for going tiny—especially the ones with kids—I admit that I'm hooked on the idea of moving to a tiny house. I'm even getting used to the idea of a composting toilet, although it's still running a distant second to a flush model.

But for anyone who wants to know about composting toilets, Gone With the Wynns has a lot of good info. House Hunters watchers may remember them from an episode of HH, where they were touring RVs before heading out for life on the road. I've been following their blog for a while and remembered that they installed a compositing toilet early on.

http://www.gonewiththewynns.com/all-composting-toilet

That is a big tutorial on composting. ; ) I still would rather have water and flush....just another thing to dispose of and worry about but in limited situations, I can see it work. Someone told me she'd rather have an outhouse than carry out waste every few days but that can get chilly and you have to keep moving the hole.

I saw one that "bagged" waste, reminded me of diaper genie, but that would fill up land fill a bit and again, it's another thing to dispose of.

THN is doing a 'tech show" next, I'd like to see what kind of toilet they have.  : )

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 2:01 PM, DG411 said:

Loved your routine, DG411!  If you upload the additional material, please let us know!

Sounded like it was well received by that particular crowd.  Have you taken it on the road?  Different groups respond differently?  Just curious - if you feel like sharing.

Thanks again for posting it and good luck! 

• Love 1