Type keyword(s) to search

Farewell, The Colbert Report: Stephen, We Hardly Knew Ye

Was saddened to find out his Formidable Opponent was just an illusion after all.  I thought he was a real person and would be 1st in line to take over the Report once our Stephen left.  So sad that won't happen now.  :P

It's going to be a LOOONG while to wait to see Stephen in his new gig.   Plus the fact I just loved "Stephen" being on my TV screen 4 nights a week.  Regardless of how great the new Late Show is, it still won't have quite the same charm as The Colbert Report.   So that will definitely be a loss for all of us fans. 

But look on the bright side -- Stephen is immortal now! 

• Love 2

All my cries...:(. I'm not supposed to be this sad...but seriously...I did cry. See you soon, Stephen Colbert.

Me too.  I was holding it together pretty well until Doris Kearns Goodwin popped up in the song and then the crying started.  That turned into inconsolable sobbing when Stephen tossed it back to Jon.  I was wrecked.  

• Love 2

Me too.  I was holding it together pretty well until Doris Kearns Goodwin popped up in the song and then the crying started.  That turned into inconsolable sobbing when Stephen tossed it back to Jon.  I was wrecked.  

Oh my God, me too. I was a mess. Laughing/crying. My husband was trying to console me by saying that "The Nightly Show" will be starting soon -- I'm a huge Larry Wilmore fan and always get so darned excited whenever he turns up as the Senior Black Correspondent on TDS -- but I didn't want to hear it. I'm sure TNS will be good, but STEPHEN. Dammit, my eyes are moistening just thinking about it.

And torontomeridith, I too was just delighted to see Trevor Potter! And Neil DeGrasse Tyson -- I knew he'd have to be there! The whole finale was such a gift to members of the Nation.

• Love 2

I'm still a wreck--I can't stop watching the footage.  I'm one of those nuts who pretty much did anything Stephen told his Nation to do.  Buy a WRISTSTRONG bracelet?  Okay.  Donate to a Super PAC?  Sure!  Eat Americone Dream, even though I don't particularly like it, just to beat Jimmy Fallon?  You bet!  Vote for a bridge in Hungary?  Why not?  Who's going to tell me what to think now?  Jon Stewart is still around, sure, and I like Larry Wilmore a lot too but you're right, trow125, it's not the same.  I need to console myself by watching the Daft Punk episode that I still have saved on my DVR--that'll make the pain go away, at least for a few minutes.

By the way, who was the guy who started dancing with Katie Couric?  He looked so familiar but I can't place him....

• Love 1

Oh my God, me too. I was a mess. Laughing/crying. My husband was trying to console me by saying that "The Nightly Show" will be starting soon -- I'm a huge Larry Wilmore fan and always get so darned excited whenever he turns up as the Senior Black Correspondent on TDS -- but I didn't want to hear it. I'm sure TNS will be good, but STEPHEN. Dammit, my eyes are moistening just thinking about it.

And torontomeridith, I too was just delighted to see Trevor Potter! And Neil DeGrasse Tyson -- I knew he'd have to be there! The whole finale was such a gift to members of the Nation.

I bought the episode on iTunes. It's a keeper.

That was great, the annotation from Slate. Quite a few names that I missed watching live--Abrams, Yoyo Ma, Cory Booker, Stone Phillips, the Colbert Family...a bunch! What a nice sendoff.

• Love 1

I just looked at a comprehensive list of everyone who was in the finale -- where the hell was Bill O'Brian?  Isn't he who Colbert fashioned his whole persona after?  Where was he?

O'Reilly?  He's never been an It-getter.

• Love 8

I realize this topic is dormant, but I just wanted to pop in and say that I still miss Stephen so much -- I've been watching "The Nightly Show," and sometimes it strikes me that it's being filmed in the old Colbert studio, and it makes me sad ("TNS" is OK, but it's no "TCR"). I'm really looking forward to the new "Late Show"...

• Love 4

I actually went back on the website and watched the very first episode. The audience isn't quite into it yet but I'll be damned if I didn't find it just as hilarious as the first time. Something that struck me was his very first Threatdown was about Florida's new law that allowed people to shoot if they felt threatened. There was someone handing out fliers about the law to tourists getting off planes.

• Love 1