Type keyword(s) to search

Empire in the Media: Read It In Billboard

Trini
Message added by Princess Sparkle

Remember: Keep your thoughts on the Jussie Smollett situation on his situation only - not Chicago politics, not policing in general, not politics in general, not the state of the country in general, not OJ, not Michael Avenetti, not anyone except Jussie Smollett. 

• Start Topic

BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES

Eva Green, Penny Dreadful

Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife

Keri Russell, The Americans

Taraji P. Henson, Empire

Vera Farmiga, Bates Motel

Viola Davis, How to Get Away with Murder

It was somewhat suspected this would happen, but two black actresses are contending for Best Actress -- I believe for the first time.

I think that's pretty awesome.

• Love 2

It was somewhat suspected this would happen, but two black actresses are contending for Best Actress -- I believe for the first time.

I think that's pretty awesome.

All but ensuring that neither will win? Then the awards can always say we nominated them as a consolation prize.

All but ensuring that neither will win? Then the awards can always say we nominated them as a consolation prize.

That's a possibility, but I think either has a good chance.  We'll have to wait and see.

• Love 1

Looks like Empire will return in the fall with 18 eps. Probably 9 in fall, winter hiatus and then the remaining 9 to kick of feb sweeps

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tv-upfronts-2015-fox-fall-794742

Even with 10 new series set to roll out over the coming season, Fox brass knows what's most important. It's 2015 breakout Empire. And while many assumed broadcast's new No. 1 series would not make it back on the schedule until later in the calendar, the fall lineup has it back in the Wednesday roost that worked so well earlier in the year.

In lieu of a segue to 8 p.m., where the show might be a handsome lead-in for a new drama, Fox is not messing with its proven success. But procedural Rosewood does get the vote of confidence of sharing the night with Empire's 18-episode sophomore run, opening the Wednesday block. Another show not going anywhere is Gotham. The network will keep the breakout to 8 p.m. on Mondays, using it as a lead-in for new order and internal favorite Minority Report.

• Love 2

Notes from the conference call:

Staying on Wednesday at 9PM because "We’d be crazy to move it. We want to thank and reward our fans by leaving it in is timeslot."

Empire will have an 18 episode season 2, split into fall and a winter halves. FOX will break a lot of its dramas into two halves.
    Empire cast is doing concerts this summer, more promotional efforts start in June.
    Even more big-time guest stars next season, though no names were revealed.
    NeYo will write songs for season 2 along with Timberland.
    No repeats this summer, other than streaming.

I do think they should air 2 episodes a night maybe a few weeks before its return just to get people pumped for it again.  But yay to 18 episodes!

I was kind of hoping they would stick to 12 but hopefully with 18 they can still maintain the quality from Season 1.

Plus I guess they can have arcs for Fall episodes and the Winter/Spring episodes.

• Love 1

I was hoping for 16 or lower, but 18 can work especially if they do two split stories. I'm more concerned with the guest star list starting to be released, because I am worried about fitting on celebrities just to have them on regardless of in their needed in a role.

I saw a commercial that Jussie is going to be on that show The Chew tomorrow cooking and guest hosting.

Two Critics’ Choice Television Award nominations:

BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES

Eva Green, Penny Dreadful

Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife

Keri Russell, The Americans

Taraji P. Henson, Empire

Vera Farmiga, Bates Motel

Viola Davis, How to Get Away with Murder

Congrats to Empire and espicially Taraji.  Well-deserved.

And might I add a brief off-topic comment that I'm glad to see Keri Russell finally get some love? She's awesome on 'The Americans.'

• Love 1

I already don't like that the emphasis seems to be on which guest stars will appear next season.  I'd rather be given a glimpse into what stories will be created for the characters next season.  And I mean cohesive stories with a beginning, middle, and ending.  

• Love 1

Perhaps this should go under 'The cast in other gigs' header, but: Jennifer Hudson has a new video out, for a song called "I still love you". I have to admit I didn't listen to the song at all, since I had my speakers turned off. But the video is really cute. There's a set-piece wedding that would do Empire proud.

Replying to my own post about the Critic's Choice Awards:

That's a possibility, but I think either has a good chance.  We'll have to wait and see.

Annnnnnnd the winner is Taraji P. Henson!!!!!

Jussie said they start filiming right before his birthday, which is June 21. So they must start back sometime next week. I also saw that Taraji and Terrence are supposed to be at the Monte Carlo film festival this weekend. No sure how accurate that is

• Love 1
(edited)

Found this interview with Attica Locke, one of the show's writers. She's also a novelist, and in the first part of the interview she talks about her latest novel, Pleasantville. The Empire discussion starts around minute 21. My favorite part is when she says, "The number one feedback we've gotten from viewers is slow the fuck down." LOL.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 1