Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion: The apple was poisoned?!

• Start Topic

They already kind of did that multiple times already. The Fairies were told to thank Regina for rescuing them from the hat when it was Belle who did the hard work to figure out how to do it. Regina was the one singly credited with saving the day in Neverland despite the fact that there lots of people that contributed to that escape (how far would they have gotten without the Shadow to take them home?).

Exactly my point. It's been written numerous times that The Charmings feel the need to verbally praise Regina, even though many other people helped out too, so it totally makes sense that they'd call her a new savior even though there will be plenty of other people working just as hard, if not harder, to bring Emma back to the light again.

If they title Regina the new "Savior", she will just hate it. 

One of the things that JMo mentioned in the interviews is that Emma is selfless.  This is a woman who couldn't even fathom having a personal life, a boyfriend and so on because she lived from one crisis to the other.  Now that Emma has the darkness inside of her, she gets to be selfish.  I don't know how well Regina will deal with putting her life on hold for the greater good.

But will they have Regina actually sacrifice and put others first, or will she just be her regular, fairly selfish self, while we're told she's sacrificing and heroic for doing fairly basic things?  Because so far they've been really good at having Regina do that second one, but not so good at the first one.

• Love 4
(edited)

You know what would be perfect karma? If they mirrored some of Season 4's WTF story lines.

Regina randomly tells Snow that she's the new mayor because "that's just how it works now?" Well, now Snow can tell Regina she's the new savior because "that's just how it works now." And just as swiftly and completely off screen the title of mayor was ripped away from Snow with no explanation whatsoever, the same will happen to Regina whenever Emma inevitably becomes the Savior again. And no one on screen will bat an eye. Also, Emma gets to burn one of Regina's pantsuits. Snow has a verbal rant/freakout because she's being forced to solve Storybrooke's issues with the power outage? Well, Regina now has to deal with those pesky tasks because she's the new savior. (Let's ignore the fact that she should be doing those kinds of tasks anyways because she's the mayor.)

I mean, it's only fair.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 3
(edited)

At this point, I'm looking at Camelot like it's a Neverland type situation.  And I'm looking at the Lancelot situation the way I look at the Hook situation.  If time moves at a slower pace in Camelot because it is surrounded with magic, the same way Neverland was, then yeah, Lancelot wouldn't have aged the same way everyone else in the Enchanted Forest did.  And like Hook or Neal, it doesn't make him 300 years old if you're from a place or lived in a place where time moves differently.

My point is, they can most definitely get away with Lancelot is really not that old because they can say that Camelot doesn't move at the same pace as the other places.  No one would think twice about someone named Killian Jones and his age if they didn't know that he's Captain Hook.

Yes, they can certainly get away with that.  They have gotten away with way more with nonsense.  With those other situations, the explanation fit with the assumptions.  It was expected that time worked differently in Neverland since from the source material, the whole premise was that Peter Pan could stay young forever.  The whole premise of this show right from the start was the 28-Year Curse where time stood still.  

They have been able to explain time freezes almost every season when new situation arose, with somewhat believable reasons, so I imagine they will do the same with Camelot.  They explained in 2A that time also stood still in Cora Dome.  They explained in 4A that Anna and Kristoffe stayed young since they got frozen by Ingrid.   The weakest explanation probably was in 3B where in interviews A&E said some mumbo-jumbo about how Oz was also in a time-stopped Dome to explain why Zelena stayed the same age, but that wasn't satisfactorily explained in-show.  

The Camelot situation is slightly complicated by Lancelot being there when Snowing got married.  But for sure, it can be explained, and I'm expecting that to make 5A work, the writing team would have needed to spend a little more time working this out because of the Lancelot complication.

Edited by Camera One

Man, I go away for a few hours and come back to Regina officially being the new savior. Joy. I really wished it was anybody but her. Snow would have been a good fit, I think. It would have fit the voiceover in the trailer, and it would be a chance for Snow/Emma stuff, and be a chance for Snow to make up for the bad parenting she's done as of late. Also, she's non-magical so it would have been refreshing. The savior doesn't need magic; Emma couldn't use magic in season 1 (and pretty much all of season 2) and she was still saving the day, etc.

I'm bummed; maybe it'll be downplayed like a lot of other stuff A&E claim but fail to deliver on.

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, anyone other than Regina and Rumple would have been better in my opinion. And she'd only be savior for the time Emma is the Dark Swan.

I mean, Regina's not gonna be the new official savior forever. Right?.....Right?

And it'd be a good chance for Snow to step into Emma's shoes and maybe understand her better?

I can dream. I can dream that Charming, Hook, and Belle get to save the day (or helps in a significant way) at least once before this show ends (unless you count 4x11 as Belle's "savior"/hero moment).

Edited by HoodlumSheep

I can dream. I can dream that Charming, Hook, and Belle get to save the day (or helps in a significant way) at least once before this show ends (unless you count 4x11 as Belle's "savior"/hero moment).

I would actually consider Belle's 4A finale moment to be a pretty big hero moment. So we're kind of just waiting on Charming and Hook. (Okay, well Hook got to save the day off screen when he outran the curse, but a silly thing like sacrificing your life and home for Emma isn't worthy of screen time.)

• Love 2
So we're kind of just waiting on Charming and Hook.

I don't know how much Josh knows, but he seems to think that David will be getting his hero moment as well and apparently start a bromance with Arthur.

Hook has had several moments where he got to be a hero in his own way.  He held up Emma when she needed it and he was instrumental in her reconciliation with her parents, not to mention his personality actually coming through in the finale when he sacrificed his life so that Emma and Henry can right the situation everyone found themselves in thanks to Rumple and the Author.

I wanna see more of those two and be their own people as opposed to just being the partners of Snow and Emma.

• Love 2
(edited)

Should Merida discussion stay in here, or in Speculation without Spoilers?

For now, I'll put it here just in case.  I was thinking if Zelena hadn't been made a regular, maybe there could have been a Regina/Robin/Merida triangle, due to Robin and Meridan's mutual love for archery.  Maybe an old ex?  

I vaguely recall Snow being quite handy with a bow and arrow too, but that's a moot point at this stage.

Edited by Camera One

I think the last thing that mess of Zelena/Regina/Robin needs is another woman and even without Zelena, I'd say no to that.  

The tiny sneak peek of Merida, she looked totally kick ass.  I'd like her to stay that way.  I'm assuming she's in the Enchanted Forest and Emma might be the one she will be interacting with the most until everyone arrives on the scene.

One thing that really made me shake my head was the implication of Rumple "helping" Emma out.  Last time he tried to help her, he nearly killed her.  I know he has no powers, but I still think that's reason enough to not go near him.  Might that be a point of contention between Emma and others (Hook)?

Is Rumple's quest for power truly over?  Even when he had the Author write the book, he was written as having light magic.  He didn't choose a simple life with Belle and the simple joys of life.  He wanted more.  So I wonder how much him not having powers will have changed him if at all.

(edited)

I wanna see more of those two and be their own people as opposed to just being the partners of Snow and Emma.

From the writers thread, an actual quote from Kitis (thanks Curio):

Eddy:...you know, there's just so many...there's just so many people that it's like, it's sometimes hard to do that story and sacrifice Regina's story.That's just showbiz.

I don't have anything else to add. Edited by RadioGirl27
  • Love 4

This interview makes it seem like it's gonna be less two separate arcs and more a unified story this year. The only problem is that I think they've gotten addicted to having a new catchy hashtag each half season.

• Love 1

In a lot of the Camelot legends, it's not just a place, but "one brief, shining moment" in time. Arthur creates Camelot, and then it falls apart when Arthur is brought down after all the bad stuff that happens. So maybe that's where that whole parallel time thing comes from. I don't know. I'm straining my brain here.

And count me as one who is overjoyed that Merida is NOT Zelena and Robin's baby. Merida's relationship with her parents, who are fairly ordinary and loving, if sometimes overbearing, was the central point to her story, so having her be the rape baby of Robin and the woman who murdered his wife and was posing as her would absolutely ruin her story even worse than straightening her hair would.

As for love interest for Robin to create another wacky geometric relationship shape, I guess if Regina leaves the room for more than five minutes, he'll have no choice but to move on.

This is one season in which the spoilers and teasers are making me less and less interested in the new season, like to the point I'm not entirely sure I want to watch it. Yeah, I know, I'll cave if only to be able to snark more fully. But it's becoming so very frustrating.

• Love 3

And count me as one who is overjoyed that Merida is NOT Zelena and Robin's baby. Merida's relationship with her parents, who are fairly ordinary and loving, if sometimes overbearing, was the central point to her story, so having her be the rape baby of Robin and the woman who murdered his wife and was posing as her would absolutely ruin her story even worse than straightening her hair would.

I was relieved about that as well.  Though I'm not sure we will get much in regards to her parents.  Belle's relationship with her father on "Beauty and the Beast" was key but that was tossed aside on this show.  

Is Rumple's quest for power truly over?

Well Robert said he'll still have "trickery" about him whatever that means. I just don't think Robert would care to play a straight up good guy. Not on this show at least where good guy=nothing more than a prop. He also made a comment some interviewer who said since Rump isn't attached to the DO anymore and Robert interjected with says who? that's an assumption. So Rump could still be attached to the DO in some way. That might explain the Emma and Rump and I'm guessing Merida filming together from the first day.

This is one season in which the spoilers and teasers are making me less and less interested in the new season, like to the point I'm not entirely sure I want to watch it. Yeah, I know, I'll cave if only to be able to snark more fully. But it's becoming so very frustrating.

Yeah, absolutely. Between Dark Emma, Savior Regina, Zelena's baby, the gazillion guest and recurring characters and the general stupidity of A&E "master storytelling", I'm not sure if my love for Hook would be enough, especially if he is sidelined again, which I fear he would. This forum and the snark are the reasons I would probably keep watching.
  • Love 2

In response to the spoiler about Regina not wanting to be the new savior: If Regina doesn't want to be the new savior, she doesn't have to be. No one's forcing her to be. (Well, except Adam & Eddy...)

Why don't Snow, Charming, or Hook want to step up and be saviors in Emma's absence? Or, some better questions: why does everyone feel the need to have a new savior in the first place? Why turn to Regina of all people? Why wouldn't the Storybrooke citizens turn to their "true" Enchanted Forest rulers: The Charmings?

Because Regina got everything she said she ever wanted at the end of the last season and she needs something to whine about? Seriously, here's your wish fulfillment, Regina. Good luck with that. In case you missed it, Emma hates being the Saviour and consistently puts her own life and wants and needs aside for others. Have fun!

• Love 3
(edited)

Maybe Merida will go to the Dark Emma for a deal to avoid being forced to marry, and Dark Emma will gleefully turn Merida's mother into a Bear?  So Merida will want to kill Dark Emma?

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

Maybe Merida will go to the Dark Emma for a deal to avoid being forced to marry, and Dark Emma will gleefully turn Merida's mother into a Bear?  So Merida will want to kill Dark Emma?

Is making deals a defining attribute of Rumple or all Dark Ones? We didn't really see that trait in Rumple until he killed Zoso. It seemed to be what kept him as a semi-neutral force as opposed to just running around killing people without reason like the Evil Queen.

Or, some better questions: why does everyone feel the need to have a new savior in the first place? Why turn to Regina of all people? Why wouldn't the Storybrooke citizens turn to their "true" Enchanted Forest rulers: The Charmings?

Because magic, that's why.

It's always about magic on this show.  Remember when they had the blackout while Snow was mayor and how she berated by Granny and Grumpy and the other one about fixing the problem?  If Regina had been mayor when that happened, she would've used magic to fix it and it was taken a whole 3 seconds to do it.  Snow had to rely on a manual and even with that, it was useless, so she had to rely on her wits to get the job done.  But while she was doing that, Grumpy's bacon that he was set to have at Granny's the next morning was spoiling.  Oh, the humanity!

For me it always goes back to and why would anyone go and make a deal with Rumple knowing exactly what he is?  Snowing did it, idiot Hook did it and topped it with blackmail because that was never coming back to bite him in the ass in spectacular fashion.  

Was it Jefferson who said that everyone wants a magical solution to everything?

Plus as Madam Mayor, Regina never dealt with the people.  They don't show up in her office and tell her about their grievances.  Either people are scared of her or they'd rather go complain to Snowing and Emma who are the ones who get things fixed for them anyway. 

Rumple doesn't have magic anymore or at least not that we know of.

When they find her, I don't think Emma's loved ones will really want her to use the magic she now has for fear that it might corrupt her.

That leaves Regina with her magic.  I'm sure people would go to Zelena too if they could, because the people in Storybrooke aren't very bright it seems.

• Love 2

Don't the fairies still have their magic? And wasn't Belle able to perform some of Rumple's magic tricks by following some instructions? If this all comes down to Regina = New Savior because she has magic and everyone else doesn't, then I have a new campaign: Tink as the new savior!

(edited)

I think pretty much anyone can do basic magic like locator spells if they wanted to or tried (I actually think Cyrus from Wonderland may have mentioned something like that if I recall correctly).

I stand by the fact that Emma was the savior way before her magic kicked in.

Granny as the savior!

*yep, I checked. In 1x09 Cyrus states that anyone can do a locator spell.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
Because Regina got everything she said she ever wanted at the end of the last season and she needs something to whine about?

And snark about. This will give her lots of opportunities to mock the non-magical beings of Storybrooke for wanting help from the bad acts of other magical beings.

Seriously, here's your wish fulfillment, Regina. Good luck with that. In case you missed it, Emma hates being the Saviour and consistently puts her own life and wants and needs aside for others. Have fun!

That's how Emma did the job. It does not seem likely that is how Regina will do the job. The Savior is expected to save the town, but that doesn't mean you can't have a bit of a life in between. Sure, Storybrooke is always in crisis, but Regina is usually the person who actually saves the day anyway and she has plenty of time for life, leisure and a little crypt nookie.

Emma's role of Savior was harsh because she's determined to right all wrongs, she has a low sense of self-worth, she uses it to push people away and she takes the job very seriously. Regina does not suffer from any of those things. She'll right the major wrongs but tell people to solve their own minor issues. She has a strong sense of self-worth, so she'll feel that she does deserve something better than being a Savior door-mat. Regina pushes people away with snark and fireballs, so the job won't be used as an excuse for not going on a date. And, she does the parts of the job she feels she wants to.

People mention that Granny and Grumpy abused Snow when the power went out. That's because they can. During Regina's reign, the town also suffered a power outage at the hands of Grumpy. Nobody went to complain to Regina because she would have just thrown them out of the office. She's not going to fix the power, whoever is in charge of the power system is going to do that. So, the townsepeople went and bought candles and waited. People treat you the way you let them. Regina would not have put up with that and neither should have Snow.

I would be disappointed if Regina does the Savior job in the same manner as Emma. They aren't the same. Regina will complain, but when does she not? I expect that she will demand praise and recognition for her saving and make lots of pontificating speeches. She'll be like one of those people who recently quit smoking or lost some weight. She'll be ragging on people to behave better and be saviors like her while still being selfish herself (and locking people up in mental health dungeon of the hospital). That's consistent with Regina's character.

I'm just going to accept that Regina gets the title of Savior (we all knew that was coming). I just hope that Eddie and Adam continue their policy of having somebody other than the savior save the day.

• Love 4

I think kili is right.

The show seems to have decided that Regina's gone full white hat, which should mean she can no longer fireball people who annoy her. If the show handles it properly, she's going to have to deal with a lot of inconvenience she'd usually just destroy. That could lead to some character growth, as well as some understanding about what life is like for people that don't rip out hearts and kill children out of anger and whimsy.

As for her never wanting to be a hero? There's a lot of work, self-sacrifice, and humbleness that go into heroing. Regina's not good at two/three of them. Of course she doesn't want want to be a hero. Wanting the admiration and power that often accompanies heroism is completely different, and absolutely IS Regina.

I know its TS,TW, but there's truly some room for growth and possibilities here.

Don't the fairies still have their magic? And wasn't Belle able to perform some of Rumple's magic tricks by following some instructions? If this all comes down to Regina = New Savior because she has magic and everyone else doesn't, then I have a new campaign: Tink as the new savior!

The difference between the fairies and Regina is that they turned the fairies into something very irrelevant.  I'm shocked that Blue is in 5x01 and that is if they don't cut her scenes to begin with.  

A&E said they were going back to season 1 formula.  I'm not sure what that means exactly since in season 1 we were discovering all these new characters and trying to guess who they were

(edited)

A&E said they were going back to season 1 formula.  I'm not sure what that means exactly since in season 1 we were discovering all these new characters and trying to guess who they were

I don't see how they can do that either.  I suppose the new characters we'll be discovering will be the Camelot crew and Merida.  Maybe they will structure the present-day part of the show as the "new" dark Emma coming into town, and they will play out the reverse of S1.  This time, she will be terrorizing and hurting everyone's feelings, or bringing back everyone's unhappy endings.

Edited by Camera One
A&E said they were going back to season 1 formula.  I'm not sure what that means exactly since in season 1 we were discovering all these new characters and trying to guess who they were

A mysterious new suburb will suddenly appear on the edge of Storybrooke. The people there will have no idea that they're characters from the Camelot legend. The Storybrooke people won't have known them, so they won't recognize what world they might be from or who they are. The audience will learn in flashback who they are as in the present day the Storybrooke people will have to figure out who they are, then try to help them find their happy endings and break the curse. It will turn out to be all Dark Emma's fault, because she's as bad as Regina, and Regina, the new Savior, will be the one to break the curse.

• Love 2
(edited)

A&E said they were going back to season 1 formula. I'm not sure what that means exactly since in season 1 we were discovering all these new characters and trying to guess who they were

I think they mean that Emma's curse is going to last all season. That way they can destroy her character fully, having her being cruel and nasty and doing terrible things for 22 episodes, so they can put her at the level of Regina and Rumple. At the same time, they would have Regina acting all heroic, giving back the happy endings Dark Emma would take away (except Hook's, that train already left the station). Finally, in the season finale, Regina would save Emma with the whitest white magic ever, and she would be crowned as the only Savior.

Edited by RadioGirl27
  • Love 2

All Hail Saint Regina of perpetual Woobiedom! 

But, really, I just shake my head at A&E at this point. They have basically straight up admitted that they are not interested in non Regina stories, or at least not as much. I feel like there are not going to give Emma the screen time she deserves, even with the Dark Swan stuff, or they are going to make it, somehow, all about Regina. Again. 

Why does Regina even need to be a Savior? What does that even mean? 

• Love 2

LOL, it's not that far-fetched as it is one of the few things that would work in their formula of revealing the backstory slowly.  The present-day characters having amnesia is a must, as per Elsa in 3A or everyone in S1 and 3B. 

I actually felt A&E appeared very interested in the Dark Emma story. Last year's CC they were all like "OMG, what will Regina do now that she's lost her boyfriend of 3 days?", but this year they were much more focused on Emma. So I don't see them being disinterested.

• Love 2

I think A&E are interested in the Dark Swan storyline, but not because of Emma (and her family) but because of what is going to mean for Rumple (justification of his crimes) and Regina (the bigger and better New Savior), and because Dark Emma is a new toy to play.

• Love 4
(edited)

A mysterious new suburb will suddenly appear on the edge of Storybrooke. The people there will have no idea that they're characters from the Camelot legend. The Storybrooke people won't have known them, so they won't recognize what world they might be from or who they are. The audience will learn in flashback who they are as in the present day the Storybrooke people will have to figure out who they are, then try to help them find their happy endings and break the curse. It will turn out to be all Dark Emma's fault, because she's as bad as Regina, and Regina, the new Savior, will be the one to break the curse.

I actually did think maybe Merlin diverted Camelot to another town in the curse for protection. He wouldn't have to change the scroll, just change the direction of some of the magic once it was cast. Maybe even in another country.

Edited by KingOfHearts
(edited)

In the TVLine interview, Josh and Ginny said that in the first episode, they find out the rules for the Dagger and how it was not what they assumed (basically, A&E makes new rules).  So maybe Snow tries to use the dagger and gets jolted so she ends up with grey hair?  Fitting punishment for the villain.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 4

I didn't watch any of the small roundtable interviews because it seemed pretty clear that the cast really knows nothing about what's going to happen (and won't really spoil it broadstrokes anyway), but I watched Robert Carlyle talk about Rumpel and I thought it was pretty clear that he believes Rumpel still has his power and magic. RC couldn't care less about dropping spoilers, and that seemed like general this is how Rumpel will be kind of info from the showrunners. If so, I'm not happy about this development. So he's cured by the sacrifice of someone else and doesn't lose his power? Really? That's what they're going with?

• Love 1
If so, I'm not happy about this development. So he's cured by the sacrifice of someone else and doesn't lose his power? Really? That's what they're going with?

I don't know if I'm happy with it either, but at the same time I don't want them to whitewash the character and every horrible thing he has ever done like that other one.  Rumple has been doing magic for centuries, magic can be learned.  So centuries of magic, he's bound to have retained some of it.  It's the dark one's powers that have been sucked from him, not his knowledge of magic. He thought two women magic.  Cora and Regina had no magic at all when they started out.  He thought them and if he thought them then he can also teach himself because he knows the ins and outs of it.

I would not be surprised if Emma ended up being stabbed by the dagger at some point during the season (which I know would render Merlin totally useless).  This is the only way he can retake his power if he still wants it and I don't think a coma will make him want power any less or mellow him out.  Rumple is the wild card.  I think Robert alluding that Rumple might take Emma under his wing (I think it was in Once Upon a Fan interview) freaks me out a little because I don't get why anyone would trust him.  

This reminds me of that scene in 4x20 when Hook went to Rumple and sat next to the Author and gloated about Emma coming back and how she hadn't turned dark and how there's nothing he could do about it because he was a toothless old dog.  

I wouldn't count Rumple out at all.

(edited)

The cast interaction was fun, but this CC has been really underwhelming, spoiler-wise. Hopefully the filming that's supposed to take place this Friday in Steveston will bring some spoilers. I'm also pretty sure at least A&E will be at D23 this August, because they were there last time. I remember they debuted the first S3 clip, so maybe that'll happen this year.

Merida, DO Rumple and Henry filmed? WTF.

EDIT: I'm sorry, EVERY cast member is apparently there! Maybe they're filming promo pics?

Edited by Serena
  • Love 1
(edited)

You can see part of Emma's prisoner outfit here. She seems to be non-sparkly. I love that that's something we have to specify now.

Oh, and the person who posted the Emma pic (which is a Brazilian fan Twitter. Brazilian fans are harcore, FYI) confirmed Friday filming in Steveston. 

Edited by Serena

For right now, my working theory is it's an Emma dream/hallucination. If so I guess her subconscious doesn't think much about Belle or Zelena, LOL.

Well, Belle I can understand leaving out. I don't think Emma has spoken more than 3 sentences to her throughout the entire series.

• Love 1