Type keyword(s) to search

My Five Wives - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Brady Williams, his five wives and their total of twenty-four children, live outside of Salt Lake City. They believe in all kinds of progressive ideas they don't share with the Mormon Church, including equality for everyone and a God who accepts all people. Shunned by their former Church brethren, the family says they are polygamous by choice and not just religious doctrine.

I'm another TWOP refugee--ready to carry on the discussion!

I know the ratings for the show haven't been great but the show hasn't come across as boring to me and I hope that it ends up getting renewed since it's always interesting to see how the family and family dynamics change once reality tv cash starts flowing into the household. I know the wives get an allowance but I wonder how it works in terms of the money each wife brings into the household. Is it a common pot type set up or do the wives with jobs have more spending money than the ones who don't? 

I was a lurker on Television Without Pity.

A few thoughts...

I find this Brady guy even creeper that Kody. I'm really interested in why they left their church. I find this whole adoption thing so contrived. There is no way that they would be allowed to adopt. They need a more believable storyline.

• Love 1

A refugee from TWOP here. 

I'm really interested in why Brady and family left the church. There have been rumours of being asked to leave and a big backlash against them from the community, which is why they want to move. I certainly don't believe 6 adults just up and leave their religion all at once but still stick with the lifestyle if it came from internal soul searching. 

And yeah I don't think they have a snowball's chance in hell of getting anywhere near adopting a baby. 

Another person from TWOP.  I prefer reading usually, not much on posting unless I have something important to add.  I find these shows fascinating.  I mean, the fact that people actually live this way and don't know any better is amazing to me.  I would love to hear more from the kids - especially the adult ones and teens, to see what they think of it all. 

I'm really interested in why Brady and family left the church. There have been rumours of being asked to leave and a big backlash against them from the community, which is why they want to move. I certainly don't believe 6 adults just up and leave their religion all at once but still stick with the lifestyle if it came from internal soul searching. 

And yeah I don't think they have a snowball's chance in hell of getting anywhere near adopting a baby. 

I sincerely hope they don't get a baby. First, it feels like they are using this adoption thing as a plot point. Now that the Browns have won the case to decriminalize polygamy in Utah, the Williams clan needed to find a new way to feel persecuted and like an "outsider". A child shouldn't be a political point.

Second, something about how they were discussing internationally adopting a non-White baby made me uneasy. They were talking about this potential kid like a charity case, or like the kid should be grateful to be adopted by them. They also seemed to suggest that this non-White baby will (1) need to learn to fit in with their family rather than everyone having to make adjustments, and (2) that their biological children will somehow be less racist if they had a non-White adopted sibling. Everything about that conversation was off to me. 

• Love 5

I looked up a little bit about Utah adoption laws. Single people can adopt but not if they are cohabitation. That alone would seem to rule them out. I'm not sure how it works with international adoptions. I've read that they would still need to qualify for adoption in the state where they live even if the child comes from overseas.

I agree with WimminWinning about the adoption. It comes across as if adopting a child of color would be just to prove the point that they are open minded or something. A child shouldn't be used to validate their lifestyle.

• Love 1

Happy to find a place to discuss TLC shows!  Did anyone else wonder why Brady and Rhonda were taking their "ten-year anniversary trip" four years late?  They seemed to just fluff that over...  Clearly just to stake out some land near his family, even if it means Wife 1 has to leave hers, as well as their adult daughter, behind.  As for that other family (the Browns), everyone keeps wondering why they moved to LV, but seem to forget that Robyn's father (and I think younger sister, a potential Wife 5?) live there, and they've both been on several shows since the move.  Robyn strikes again!  (Sorry if discussing the Browns is off-topic; I don't see an active forum for that one on here.)

Edited by all4mom

Somebody over at TWOP posted that they left the church 10 years ago. I thought (not sure why) they had recently left their church. It took a decade for them to decide they were supposedly no longer accepted in their community and want to move, or because of the show (and show income), now it's possible? And they seem to not be concerned that they will be accepted wherever they decide to move, even if it's an area where polygamy is uncommon.

Hi, another TWOP-er here.  How bad could it be living where they are if they left the church 10 years ago and still haven't moved?  I think it's just something Brady wants to do now that they have the TLC money.  Not that I like to find reasons to defend his creepy ass, but I can understand him wanting to be closer to his family for a change.  I am assuming that at least some of the wives are closer to their families in Utah.  And his dad is a hoot!  I was LOL because he reminded me of some of the wondefully kooky people I've met out West.  Being an Northeasterner, I guess I find him refreshing.  Of course, in small doses.

Edited by Intuition

What is it with polygamists and teepees? First Janelle from Sister Wives lived in a teepee on Kody's dad's ranch, now Brady's dad had a man-pee out back. Hopefully that thing is really waterproof since they are in Washington. He does seem like a hoot and I bet the grandkids would love being around him.

I too was wondering if they decided to make the move now that they have TLC money. The various wives can look for similar work in Washington and I guess Brady can open a branch office of the construction business he shares with his brother. With a contractor's license he can build something a lot cheaper than the Brown Idiots did. With the viewer numbers posted in the other forum, I don't see the show going much longer than a couple seasons.

Thanks to whoever fixed the topic title. I biffed it a little yesterday, couldn't snark under pressure I guess!

• Love 1

When are they going to change the commercials for this show? The lighting and coloring is eerie and makes them look ghoulish. Especially Brady.

LOL!That is hilarious! He does look ghoulish and he also resembles a stressed lizard.

When are they going to change the commercials for this show? The lighting and coloring is eerie and makes them look ghoulish. Especially Brady.

LOL!That is hilarious! He does look ghoulish and he also resembles a stressed lizard.

LOL, that's funny, I think he looks that way all the time!

I still have no answer as to why they need to adopt.  Roybn just had a baby maybe a year ago.  Just have another one.  I must have missed some medical crisis.

A child shouldn't be used to validate their lifestyle.

Or to teach character lessons to its siblings. You shouldn't have a job description before you're even born, you know?

Thank you for using the phrase "man-pee."

• Love 1

Sad TWOP refugee who hates change, but can't give up talking trash about TV. So here I am!

About the show: I love to hate Brady and his vacant stare, and fakey-fake syrupy ickiness. Luv ya!

• Love 1

Thinking back to the Thanksgiving episode the week before last, and  all of those kids (plus parents and guests) naming what they're thankful for - all I could think is how long that would take! Especially given the fact that the youngest children are the first to be served food. That's quite a wait for their older siblings.  

How much do you want to bet Brady invited those extra guests? On top of sharing meal-preparation duties, I felt sympathy for the wives having to organize everything in one place. I know they have dinners weekly at one wife or another's home, but I can't imagine the crowding even then.

Edited by JanetMacklin

The married daughter didn't seem super happy but maybe she was just tired or something. Something about her overall demeanor seemed off to me and I kept wondering whether she had some terrible news to impart but was holding back for whatever reason.

Paulie seems so incredibly sheltered. When she said that she had her babies she never imagined one of them ever *wanting* to go to Africa I couldn't help but laugh out loud because I feel quite sure that she's imagining (but has enough sense not to say) some ridiculous scenario involving spears, cannibalism, and her only boy. It's so weird for me to imagine growing up in a household where a parent would be dismayed if I wanted to spend some time traveling internationally. 

Paulie seems like she's in a hard place in general. Since most of her kids are so close in age it feels like they're all leaving at the same time. A lot of the kids are close in age actually so if most of the kids go to college/marry/missions and all that, they're going to have most of the children out of the house within the next five to seven years. I can see how some of them are going to be nervous about the idea of it just being the six of them plus the few remaining youngest kids. Robyn and Paulie both looked uneasy IMO at the idea of the six of them just hanging out at the beach with each other without the kids. I feel like they've more or less admitted that the kids are what keep them together in the lifestyle even though they're no longer with the church.

And again we had the shot of Rosemary, Nonie, and Rhonda laughing with Brady about something while Paulie and Robyn looking quiet and uncomfortable. I wish we could find them some single LDS widowers. 

Anybody notice that the son who is about to go to Africa mentioned, and said it a couple of times, that they used to be FLDS? Not AUB....where did we get the info about them being former AUB again? If they used to be FLDS, their story behind leaving may be more interesting, and I'd really like more details on that, even more than I already did....

Edited by CheesyFun

I suspect the whole Africa trip is cause he's antsy to get away, and it sounds exciting. He's making up justifications about why he needs to, when all he really needs to say is that he wants to see what it's like, visit his uncle, etc.....lots of college aged kids scrape together the money to go overseas and see a foreign country. I wonder where in Africa he's going?

Edited by CheesyFun

Anybody notice that the son who is about to go to Africa mentioned, and said it a couple of times, that they used to be FLDS? Not AUB....where did we get the info about them being former AUB again? If they used to be FLDS, their story behind leaving may be more interesting, and I'd really like more details on that, even more than I already did....

It was in all the press releases that they were AUB. Plus relatives of theirs had posted on Sister Wives Blog about them leaving the AUB Church. AUB did not want to be mentioned on the Brown's show and I bet the same goes with the Williams. I wonder if the family is using the term FLDS in the general sense (Fundamentalist vs Mainstream Mormon) since that is what the viewing audience is more familiar with. 

They need to rename the show My Three Wives because so far they has been no interaction between Brady and Rosemary or Robyn. They just fill the empty seats in the back row. Its all Nonie or Paulie, with a sprinkling of Rhonda.

I thought about this too and I'm wondering if "FLDS" is just a way of acknowledging that the family were fundamentalist LDS but not actually of the official FLDS church associated with the noted Barlow, Jessop, and Jeffs families.

The pictures of the family in the past are conservative but they also seem a little different than pictures I've seen of families living in Hildale and Colorado City. Not as many pastels, they weren't really sporting the extreme bouffant hairstyles or braids,  etc, Does anyone know the maiden names of any of the wives? I'm curious if any of them are from one of the more prominent families. 

Paulie seems so incredibly sheltered.

I can understand it would be hard adjusting to half your kids going off on their own, but when when she asked Madeline if she thought she would move back home and "hang out" with her after college, I was like, wtf?  It was just a weird moment.

I can understand it would be hard adjusting to half your kids going off on their own, but when when she asked Madeline if she thought she would move back home and "hang out" with her after college, I was like, wtf?  It was just a weird moment.

You're not kidding!  Mortification factor 10.  The more I see of her, the more pathetic, whiny and needy Pauli starts to look.

I thought it was telling that the women wouldn't necessarily want their kids becoming plygs because of how hard it is to do without difficulties.  This begs the question of whether they would do it again if they had the chance.  Regardless of how they answered the question, I think the real answer would be no.

Brady just looks tired and distracted all the time.  Even when the wives have time with him he never seems completely invested in it.  He actually seemed more invested in spending time with his eldest son.  I found it telling that one of their daughters said she was "too selfish" to share her man with other women.  Sad that a woman has to think that means she's "selfish".  I kind of think of it in reverse, that I am "not masochistic enough" to share my man with other women, LOL.

• Love 2

I hope this was just poor editing but I thought it was weird that Paulie asked her son if he talked to his uncle, why didn't she call her brother-in-law too? It sounded like Josh was the only one setting up the trip, he was the one doing the planning, the money, the shots, and he was the one contacting his uncle and Paulie hadn't even bother to talk to her brother-in-law to get details or even a confirmation that it was okay for him to come.  I kept waiting through out the whole episode for her to say something. Maybe I've seen too many movies or news shows but I'd be on the phone immediately, getting all the details and like several confirmations before I'd let my nineteen year old go.

Yeah, I agree the show is boring.  I started to nod off a few times during this last episode.  One thing about the Brown's is for better or worse, they're certainly not boring....Maybe if Brady himself had a little more outward enthusiasm and the women weren't always with their throats wobbling next to tears that might help...

(edited)

I'm confused about college (again).  The daughter says she got a "full tuition" scholarship, and they all breathed a sigh of relief, as they were worried about how she -- emphasis on "she," Mariah -- would pay for college, but then she says she's hoping or planning to move out.  If the money is just for tuition, who's going to pay for her college room and board or apartment?  Do any of the older kids besides the first son have jobs?  I would think perhaps so, since the parents at least seem to have a work ethic.  As for the obsession with babies on this and other TLC shows, welcome to my world.  All of my friends and contemporaries just LIVE for "grandbabies" and happily spend their lives practically raising them; you'd think there was no life other than procreating, either first- or secondhand.  I thought it was a southern thing!

Edited by all4mom
  • Love 1

Katjoy26, I looked all over that Facebook page and didn't find the reference to the trip.  On what date did it appear?

I did find that some of the comments sounded awfully familiar.  Best part of the page!

(edited)

Katjoy26, I looked all over that Facebook page and didn't find the reference to the trip.  On what date did it appear?

I did find that some of the comments sounded awfully familiar.  Best part of the page!

It was on March 24th. The question was asked by a Sarah Wilson. You have to scroll down quite a bit.

ETA:I copied and pasted

Sarah WilsonI watched last night's episode. I wonder why they'd go on a 10 year anniversary getaway...to the inlaws! It seemed like less of a trip for the couple, and more of a build up for the "plot" of the show.

Like · · March 24 at 1:19pm

Brady and Wives Sarah. Without going into detail we were only at my parents house for 2 days of the 7. We had a great time seeing my parents and the other parts of our trip as well. .

Like · Reply · 3 · March 24 at 5:42pm

Write a comment...

Edited by Katjoy26

Wow; do we really need a thread for every wife?  I'm good with just a general thread and then one per show; don't know about anyone else...  What if he adds more wives, or "wifes," as they pronounce it?

• Love 2

all4mom--We may not need them all yet.  But just as we have separate character threads for the main characters of scripted shows, I think it can't hurt to have space to discuss the individual people here.  I would draw the line at individual threads for all 24 children though.  That would probably be excessive.  If there are a couple of kids in particular that generate a lot of conversation, we could give those their own threads.

Just anticipating an influx of posters who may or may not come.  General comments about the show that don't fit into one of the other threads can still be posted here.

Wow; do we really need a thread for every wife?  I'm good with just a general thread and then one per show; don't know about anyone else...  What if he adds more wives, or "wifes," as they pronounce it?

If we are taking opinions on this, the fewer the threads, the better in my opinion. Then again, I am a transplant from TWOP and one thread per show seemed to work fine and be efficient (in my opinion). I was reading on one board that used multiple threads, and there was always lots of duplicated stuff in the different threads, etc. and it was kind of timeconsuming to sort through numerous threads to read everyone's updates.

• Love 5

Well, for the moment I'll just combine all the wives into one thread and make one thread for the children.  At this point this many threads probably aren't really necessary, you're right.  We'll revisit the issue if necessary.

My feeling is that TPTB are not fans of the "one thread" idea for most shows (maybe for some that have very little discussion).

If we are taking opinions on this, the fewer the threads, the better in my opinion. Then again, I am a transplant from TWOP and one thread per show seemed to work fine and be efficient (in my opinion). I was reading on one board that used multiple threads, and there was always lots of duplicated stuff in the different threads, etc. and it was kind of timeconsuming to sort through numerous threads to read everyone's updates.

ITA, and I'm a TWOP refugee too.  I have run a chat board for 15 years myself and in my experience too many threads per topic actually discourages discussion unless the board is absolutely teeming with traffic, which even TWOP wasn't except for only a few shows back several years ago, like "Top Chef" and "Dancing with the Stars".  And even most of those shows didn't see many posts on anything but the most general threads, so eventually the more specific threads were all but abandoned.  I think people can feel too restricted to confine their discussion to just one aspect of a show.  Often when people post they don't just want to discuss one narrow aspect but the show in general or several aspects and how they all fit together.  Especially on a show about a family, the way they function as a whole versus the various sub groups or parts has too many permutations and combinations to neatly divide up into individual people.

Thank you Katjoy26 for reprinting that bit about the trip to Washington on Facebook.  The show made it look like they spent longer than 2 days with Brady's parents.

• Love 1