Type keyword(s) to search

"The Colbert Report": Week of 12/8/14

12/8/14 TBA
12/9/14 James Corden - Film, “Into the Woods”
12/10/14 Sarah Koenig - Host & Exec Prod, “Serial” podcast

12/11/14 TBA

It wouldn't surprise me if some big names show up to celebrate the end of the Nation -- I'll update once the TBAs have been filled in. I'm super psyched about Sarah Koenig, since I'm a "Serial" junkie.

• Love 2

12/9/14 James Corden - Film, “Into the Woods”

So... James Corden: AKA the Baker AND future host of the Late Late Show!?!? Sick. :) As much as I love the musical, I'm looking forward to the both of them discussing their future late-night takeover plans at CBS.   

I'm not surprised at all that Obama will be on the show. He's got a wonderfully wry sense of humour and he's very hip about what's going on.  This could be a show for the ages if Stephen interviews him in character. Woohoo!!!!!!

The Decree... Wow. Just wow. Bravo POTUS and the writers for an (insert word that expresses absolute magnificence) segment!

I expect a pack of old, silver and white foxes (particularly PAPA BEAR) to tear up tonight's appearance by sunrise tomorrow. Ad Hominems galore! 

• Love 4

I wonder if O'Reilly will be his last guest. I hope not. I don't think I could take him dancing and waking up after a night with "Papa Bear." Leave that enmity alive, I say.

I'll accept it if the show ends with Stephen waking up in bed with BillO who tells Stephen to shut up about his dream where they're both influential political pundits because Stephen has to be well rested for another day of teaching at Flatpoint High School. Still, I don't see BillO agreeing to play Stephen's husband, not even for a short sketch.

• Love 3

That was so much fun. I think Obama was even trying to do the Stephen-raised-eyebrow thing.

Unfortunately, my DVR cut off. (I have it set to record TDS with a 30-minute extension.) I'll record the repeat this morning.

I loved when Obama was about to take Stephen's chair, saying he was just going to say whatever Stephen was about to say, then Stephen says, "Okay doke," and rushes off-stage. Cracked me up. I'm sure Stephen was standing back there grinning at how well Obama was doing in his seat.

Oh, and the portraits of Stephen as various Presidents are amazing, as was his rundown of how America came to be.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 3

This show made me proud to be an American (and so can you!)

The only thing missing was an audience chant of O-bam-a! when POTUS took the chair.

Seriously, dudes, I had my hands clasped beneath my chin the whole time, like a grandma at a kid's recital, or a girl when her best fella gets on bended knee. Squee!

• Love 7

Just got an updated guest listing for the week, and Thursday's guest is listed as Special “THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES” Guest. I wrote back and asked for clarification, and it turns out the guest's identity will remain a secret until the show airs. Since both Peter Jackson and Ian McKellen have been guests on the show before, I'm not sure who else could be so special that it must be hush-hush. The reanimated corpse of J.R.R. Tolkien?

• Love 1

Just got an updated guest listing for the week, and Thursday's guest is listed as Special “THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES” Guest. I wrote back and asked for clarification, and it turns out the guest's identity will remain a secret until the show airs.

It's Freeman probably, he's hosting SNL that weekend.

• Love 1

Wee, to be fair, what the guy trying to get "eaten alive" showed was that these anacondas know how to handle the food their about to swallow whole, and should be feared and respected for that.

You can make Jack Kingston interesting all you want Stephen, he's still a douche.

I believe Stephen's response to doing the Hobbit photoshoot was "Do bears shit in the woods?"

Cracked me up when Stephen says his lost glasses were in his car and added, "Welcome to Obama's America."

Fun show. 

Man, I was so embarrassed for Kingston as he f'd up identifying Lena Horne. And I don't know who he was thinking of, but she didn't get fat when she aged. Maybe he was thinking of Aretha Franklin. Or just making shit up.

But the School's Out segment was outstanding. Just hilarious. I loved it.

Great interview with James Corden. It looks like I'm going to be recording a lot of late night shows.

Their duet was lovely.

I am loath to give the benefit of the doubt to a Proven Douche like Kingston, but I have the sneaking suspicion he was playing along with not knowing Horne. Something about it looked too neatly set up. 

"You have a pretty voice" is perilously close to "You have a purty mouth."

Who knew Nancy was a bmx badass?!

Stephen has Senioritis.

• Love 2

All these years and I never was able to catch Stephen over on the Hill filming these segments.  I can't believe that that was the last BKAD. 

Man I have been in denial, if I didn't realize that next week was the end. 

• Love 2

It's Freeman probably, he's hosting SNL that weekend.

But he's also been on TCR before, so it's not much of a surprise or something really special. I'd think since it's one of the last TCR's and also probably the last Middle Earth movie in  a long while (unless someone insanely allows PJ to make a few more trilogies about Tom Bombadil or the origin of Smeagol or something else to make Tolkien repeatedly roll in his grave), it's going to be an insane Hobbit promotional event. I'd say more than one cast member/EP.

Hey right wing assholes. You goddamn better face the truth about what your beloved administration did to these prisoners. You don't get to hide in your bubble and tell everyone America is awesome when they do shit like this.

You mean it was awesome until a certain dictator took over in 2009, right?

Very interesting listening to Tom Blanden. I'm glad he read the report so I don't have to.

A little question that came to mind when they showed the clip of Rush Limbaugh: What is his logo? There's a neon sign behind him that looks like two B's back to back.

A little question that came to mind when they showed the clip of Rush Limbaugh: What is his logo? There's a neon sign behind him that looks like two B's back to back.

It's supposed to stand for Excellence In Broadcast. Which, considering the source, is the very definition of irony.

Edited by Victor the Crab
  • Love 1

Smaug was the guest tonight!?

Usually, I find "interviews" with animated characters (Smaug is animated) cheesy and silly.  At first, that's what I thought when the interview began.  But this only lasted about 30 seconds and I surprisingly found the interview awesome.  Colbert did it right.  Plus, Colbert naming everyone involved in those five little minutes was a nice touch - you never hear about all the people behind the scenes.

• Love 3

Well, that was one helluva interview.  Really hot.  (Sorry, couldn't resist.)  Of all the characters in "The Hobbit", the magnificent Smaug was the one I least expected to be interviewed. 

Well done!

• Love 1

"I'm an old school worm, keepin' it real, yo."

That was pretty surreal but the production value was impressive and I effin' loved that snap of Smaug doing motion capture. The writing by and large made me laugh but I'm on the fence about the line where Smaug says he was "standing his ground" against a house-breaking Bilbo in a hoodie. Topical but oh so dark. 

• Love 2

When Stephen was doing Bat-Moses, he sounded like Scooby Doo.

Maybe I should have paid more attention to the interview. I've only seen some of the Hobbit movies, so I wasn't really interested in a Smaug interview. What I listened to didn't seem to work, imo. 

• Love 1

That was brilliant!   Are plot points for the Hobbit considered spoilers?  Just in case someone is seeing the movie who hasn't read the book 

that was hysterical when Stephen showed just how Smaug is killed while setting up the clip

• Love 1

Haha, Little Martin. That nickname is following Martin Freeman everywhere.  That didn't sound like the Bendermackle Clumberwunch Smaug from the movie, I was surprised to hear it was him in the end.

Are plot points for the Hobbit considered spoilers?

Considering Peter Jackson is basically doing a loose interpretation of the book, probably kind of.

• Love 1

I'm no Hobbithead so I haven't seen the movies but did Cumberbatch do the voice for Smaug's interview or was Stephen just thanking Cumberbatch because Smaug is his role? That was some pretty on point Sherlock shade.

Edited by marceline

Smaug was the guest tonight!?

Usually, I find "interviews" with animated characters (Smaug is animated) cheesy and silly.  At first, that's what I thought when the interview began.  But this only lasted about 30 seconds and I surprisingly found the interview awesome.  Colbert did it right.  Plus, Colbert naming everyone involved in those five little minutes was a nice touch - you never hear about all the people behind the scenes.

I think it worked because they managed to make it fluid. Usually animated interviews have that little pause as the animation stops and the host starts speaking (or vice versa respectively) but after the first 30 seconds or so Smaug and Stephen had a natural conversational rhythm going. That plus the 'interactive' shots with Smaug just standing there and reacting to Stephen's words plus talking over him made it like a regular interview. Well done all around I say.

Edited by Jaded Sapphire
  • Love 2

Since Bendystraw Crunchysnacks was in town recently for Jon's show, I'm betting that's when he popped round to do the dialogue with Stephen. 'Course, they have fancy phone technology so he might have done it remotely, but I prefer to fanwank.

But he's also been on TCR before, so it's not much of a surprise or something really special. I'd think since it's one of the last TCR's and also probably the last Middle Earth movie in  a long while (unless someone insanely allows PJ to make a few more trilogies about Tom Bombadil or the origin of Smeagol or something else to make Tolkien repeatedly roll in his grave), it's going to be an insane Hobbit promotional event. I'd say more than one cast member/EP.

well i was wrong, and you were right

I just read somewhere that Letterman isn't leaving until sometime next spring. So why is Stephen signing off so soon? If he wants time off, that's fine with me, he certainly deserves it, it just seemed confusing to me. Anyone know anything? 

And I'm certainly looking forward to Larry Wilmore.   

I just read somewhere that Letterman isn't leaving until sometime next spring. So why is Stephen signing off so soon? If he wants time off, that's fine with me, he certainly deserves it, it just seemed confusing to me. Anyone know anything? 

And I'm certainly looking forward to Larry Wilmore.   

I assume it has more to do with Comedy Central's contract with Stephen and how it would make more sense for them fiscally to cut Stephen out now and have Larry start in January. Especially since Jon's contract ends next year and they don't know how long they have him for. Give Larry a longer sure lead in.

Edited by maculae

One likely concern is that neither CBS or Comedy Central wants to have to compete with each other to get their late night shows noticed. Larry debuts in January, James Corden debuts in March, Letterman signs off in May and Stephen debuts in August/September. These shows will compete in the end but they're probably avoiding each other so that one debut doesn't get overshadowed by another. (There may be a desire for "cleaner" data so that they have a good idea of how many people have quit a show because they were tired of it vs moving on to sample the next new late night talk show.)

• Love 1

I assume it has more to do with Comedy Central's contract with Stephen and how it would make more sense for them fiscally to cut Stephen out now and have Larry start in January. Especially since Jon's contract ends next year and they don't know how long they have him for. Give Larry a longer sure lead in.

I think Stephen probably wants a little break too. And it takes time to ramp up on a new show.

That was so amazing that they did that computer recreation of Smaug to have be interviewed by Stephen. Making him a conservative makes all the more sense.

Dragons being in favor of the gold standard just makes so much sense, in a surreal sort of way. 

• Love 1

i don't know how long it takes to prepare a show like Colbert's but I am sure it is not just a matter of getting people together, writing the lines and taping it. There are details we don't know, maybe they will have some sets done to see how it is accepted. Not all is about how popular Stephen is. That part is the easy one. Things that we absorb almost subconsciously, like the stage, the small props, lighting, how to position a table, also matter to producers. And then there is the tone they want to convey which is also something I doubt Stephen will have full control of. Working with Jon, as far as we know, might have been easy for him, since they seem to be real life friends, Stephen is a spin off of TDS and their work is similar in some ways. But CBS has its own agenda and they will have to find the balance. 

I am sure Stephen has a lot of work to do before we see him again on TV, as a host

New talk shows usually tape quite a few practice episodes before going on the air. I wonder if it will take Stephen a while to transition to doing interviews, comedy bits, etc. as himself instead of as "Stephen."

Imagine the writers having to come up with all-new segments to replace Tip/Wag, Cheating Death, the Sport Report, Threatdown, the Word, etc. What an undertaking.

New talk shows usually tape quite a few practice episodes before going on the air. I wonder if it will take Stephen a while to transition to doing interviews, comedy bits, etc. as himself instead of as "Stephen."

Imagine the writers having to come up with all-new segments to replace Tip/Wag, Cheating Death, the Sport Report, Threatdown, the Word, etc. What an undertaking.

I think several of those will carry over like Tip/Wag and The Word.