Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Judge's Chambers

• Start Topic

I'm with you there, and actually the people who put money in the pockets of amoral puppy/kitten peddlers are also getting animals with genetic question marks, since I've never seen a "breeder" on this show who has shown their animals to championships before breeding them and can prove up they've been tested for and cleared of all genetic defects.
Not even the RKC (British AKC) can make guarantees on the dogs either. They don't always screen for genetic problems for show dogs, They've been inbred and mutated so much over the past couple hundred years alone for the very purpose of them being show dogs, and the treatment is just awful. Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are having this disorder that causes the skull to fuse together before the brain is finished growing, causing horrible pain and seizures. There's a huge increase in cases of horrible epilepsy for Boxers. White German shepherds are culled as soon as they're born. So just because you're getting an AKC/RKC certified dog, from a certified breeder, doesn't mean you're getting a dog with a clean bill of health. The stuff with the Spaniels doesn't even show up until later on.

Like Jackson Galaxy always says: Adopt, don't shop.

• Love 3

So just because you're getting an AKC/RKC certified dog, from a certified breeder, doesn't mean you're getting a dog with a clean bill of health.

Exactly. All those AKC/CKC(Canadian Kennel Club, NOT "Continental Kennel Club") papers do is tell you that the puppy you're getting is from two purebred dogs of the same breed. Period. It's basically meaningless, unless the mother or father of the litter has attained a show championship along with all health tests.  They do not guarantee against any heredity/gentic defects whatsoever. And those are the more reputable registration organizations. There's a ton of others out there that would register a mutt or even a cat if you pay the fees. "Private breeders" are even worse, pumping out mutts with trendy names and selling them to people who either don't know or don't care that the "Schnoodle" they've just paid $1200 for could be had at many a shelter or rescue for a quarter of the price. People wanting purebreds can easily find them too. When someone wants to dump their dog, they don't care how much they paid for it.

All my dogs came from rescues - spayed/neutered/vaccinated -  and all had the best temperaments anyone could wish for.

• Love 4

All my dogs came from rescues - spayed/neutered/vaccinated -  and all had the best temperaments anyone could wish for.

Mine too; and they are such babydolls.  One of my dogs was rescued from an Amish puppy mill.  People think the Amish are so kind and peaceful -- yeah, right...they are vicious and inhumane to animals.  To them, it's just supply and demand...they don't treat them like living animals.  The Amish like people to think they don't want the "English people's" money, but they have their conduits to pet stores and Craigslist and Internet sales, and they rake in the dollars.  My dog's rescuer was actually the subject of an HBO movie called Madonna of the Mills.  Coincidentally, they did some filming on the day of my dog's rescue, and his little nervous face is in the movie!  

I can't imagine paying $1200 or more for a pet.  The rescuer of my other dog (who I found on PetFinder.com) was telling me that some sneaky jerks use that website to scam people...and a very overpriced "adoption" fee can be a telltale sign.  But I think most of those people stick to Craigslist.

• Love 4

People think the Amish are so kind and peaceful -- yeah, right...they are vicious and inhumane to animals.

Yes, I know all about that, and don't think they're kind at all. They are among the most prolific of puppymillers in the US. I guess their good book condones cruelty to his creatures. Whatever...

some sneaky jerks use that website to scam people...and a very overpriced "adoption" fee can be a telltale sign.

I worked with a rescue for five years and there are quite a few that are not reputable. I got one of my dogs from such a place - pretending to be a non-profit org. and in actuality selling un-vetted, intact dogs for profit. After adoption I found out my dog was loaded with heartworms and hookworms. Be very careful and don't trust everyone who calls him/herself a rescue.

If buyers could see the unbelievable misery that produces those cute little puppies in the pet store, many of them would not buy. Unfortunately, many still would, rationalizing that they're saving a dog from the petstore. No, they're not. They're just financially supporting and  encouraging millers and backyard breeders to keep pumping them out.  People suck, present company excepted of course!

• Love 3

Yes, I know all about that, and don't think they're kind at all. They are among the most prolific of puppymillers in the US. I guess their good book condones cruelty to his creatures. Whatever...

Don't forget the rampant claims of incest, sexual abuse, underage rape and severe physical child abuse that go on in those communities. I live three hours from Amish country, and I met someone who was on Rumpringa once at a bar. The stories he told made me think me own history of sexual assault and rape were something from a Disney movie.

Edited by Mindy McIndy

So this is where it went. But it WAS in the big room....?

Your post got swept in here by accident.  I'll move it back.  Sorry.

Don't forget the rampant claims of incest, sexual abuse, underage rape and severe physical child abuse that go on in those communities. I live three hours from Amish country, and I met someone who was on Rumpringa once at a bar. The stories he told made me think me own history of sexual assault and rape were something from a Disney movie.

Why is nothing done about this, if it's known? I've never heard of that and only learned of the puppymilling due to my own rescue work.

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your own unpleasant history.:(

All my dogs came from rescues - spayed/neutered/vaccinated -  and all had the best temperaments anyone could wish for.

I've owned three pugs - pug #1 has no papers (owner lost them in a divorce) but his parents came from an excellent kennel in New Hampshire- he'll 11 and totally healthy and breed-specific. Pug #2 had papers and was bought from a breeder (who we found out later bought her from a backyard breeder) - that dog was put down due to genetic issues and encephalopathy when she was three. Pug #3 was a rescue (came from a divorcing family)- they bought her at a puppy store and her papers have the telltale birthplace of Missouri (big puppy mill state). That dog is strong as an ox but certainly not breed specific or good looking but is a sweetheart. So to some extent papers don't mean a whole lot if they are signed off by backyard breeders or puppy mill folk. 

Teebax, there is a lot of discussion about liability on some floating stairs that do not have an outer rail in Carole's apartment over in the Real Housewives thread. Since you are our resident insurance expert, what do you think? The discussion is that they are not up to code, so insurance will not pay if something happens. But I can't imagine that Carole would put her home on tv with code violations and also it lets the insurance company see what is there. I am not going to quote you, you just popped in my head when I was reading and I said to myself, Teebax.

I've never seen the show, but I'll do my best. I've never seen an insurance policy that says it won't pay if something isn't up to code. They may pay a claim and then drop you like a hot potato immediately afterward, but to not pay a liability claim for that reason would be, in my opinion, unconscionable. Basically, that would be an unfair out for the insurance company since you,a third party, would have no idea whether or not someone's stairs were up to code.

Now if the homeowner wanted to make a property claim for some damage to those same steps, that could be a different thing. But from a liability standpoint, I'd be surprised if her insurance wouldn't cover a claim.

Often it comes down to the company putting a value on the claim and adding on potential defense costs and making a nominal offer to get the claim to go away.  Probably what would happen here is the company would claim there was no negligence then offer to pay for medical bills only.  If she's a RH she's probably paying a nice premium on an expensive house so the company may want to keep her business. If an injury happens on your property the contract says they owe you a defense regardless, but it sometimes happens that they'll hire their own atty as well to protect their own interest under the contract if the claim is valuable enough.

Paying out money to people who run to attorneys in order to get a referral to a chiropractor usually, who treats them 3-5 times a week then pronounces them cured once the med pay limit is used up is what burned me out from doing insurance claims.

If buyers could see the unbelievable misery that produces those cute little puppies in the pet store, many of them would not buy. Unfortunately, many still would, rationalizing that they're saving a dog from the petstore. No, they're not. They're just financially supporting and  encouraging millers and backyard breeders to keep pumping them out.

Adopt don't shop.  I don't even "help out" neighbors or coworkers whose pet "somehow" had a litter. 

I've had 1-3 cats for the past 30 years, mostly females, and never once had a litter.  They all come from our county animal shelter.  In fact the one in my avatar just passed away last week at 15 and as soon as my son is ready we'll be heading back there and we'll be considering older pets as well.

With dogs though, people's first instinct seems to be to seek out a breeder. 

• Love 2

Ok.  A captions and announcer snippets thread.  Now we just need a funny bit to go with it.  Once we've settled on something, I'll set up the thread and move these posts to the new thread.

Btw, if we get a lot of title suggestions, I may even do a poll.  A POLL, people!

Since the litigant parade on JJ often features folks receiving disability benefits - and her raking them over the coals -- I found this NPR article on the rise of disability benefits in the US really informative.

Disability burns my rear end! About a decade ago, there was a patient here who had liver failure, heart failure, chronic lung disease, and early end-stage renal disease and was denied disability benefits. I remember photocopying the chart to send to the attorney hired to fight for the disability benefits. No deal. That person died about 5 years later in an auto accident on the way to see the cardiologist. And then there are the Judge Judy litigant type of  people who come in (because they need a new doctor) and are on disability for chronic back pain. Not saying that back pain isn't disabling but it isn't more disabling than having 4 failing organs, imo. Anyhow......I needed to get that off my chest. Back to regular programming.......

• Love 4

I found this NPR article on the rise of disability benefits in the US really informative.

Obviously someone is paying attention to the zillion ads by ambulance chasing "We do disability - it's ALL we do." shyster lawyers.

And then there are the Judge Judy litigant type of  people who come in (because they need a new doctor) and are on disability for chronic back pain

...and "angoraphobia", diabetes, PTSD after falling down a few stairs or a broken leg from a car accident five years ago, none of which stops any of them from flying across the country, doing construction work for cash under the table, having four kids, riding motorcycles or getting into drunken brawls.

• Love 2

I've read about half of all disability applications are denied then go to an administrative hearing if someone wants to fight it.  I worked for an attorney who did SS and work comp because you go before administrative judges and it's pretty straight forward.  I suspect some of these benefits are allowed by certain judges who rubber stamp them for attorneys they work with often but that's my humble opinion.

I applied for SS for my ex who was diagnosed with cancer.  Mistakenly as it turned out but his organs failed and he died a year later.  He was turned down three times in fact for a) having a few thousand left in his 401K so he could freaking pay the landlord and b) not having enough medical records because not working means no health ins and Scott Walker wouldn't expand Medicaid here.  The poor man suffered badly and was unable to leave a single thing to our son. 

ETA:  Angoraphobia?  Is that a fear of rabbits?

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 1

Angoraphobia?  Is that a fear of rabbits?

I think it's a fear of fuzzy sweaters in this case, since it didn't stop her from leaving her home, flying to CA and appearing before JJ and 10 million people. When a person can't pronounce the name of their own "disability" it's kind of suspicious.

I'm sorry about your ex.

• Love 2

I guess that makes me an angoraphile.

ETA you can comb them.  I once had a dumb boyfriend who thought virgin wool involved killing the sheep.  duh.

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 2

I guess that makes me an angoraphile.

ETA you can comb them.  I once had a dumb boyfriend who thought virgin wool involved killing the sheep.  duh.

I went to a petting farm with my nieces and nephews. They had a sheep shearing demonstration.  the shearer gave a talk about sheep and wool and how to get the wool off the sheep. When the guy started shaving the sheep with an electric shaver, the mother next to us quickly herded her children away. Later, I saw the mother complaining to one of the farm staff that she did not expect the sheep to be shaved in front of children, that children shouldn't be exposed to something like that, that the staff should warn parents what sheep shearing is, etc. I mean, what the heck? Did she think her woolen sweaters are made by sheep knitting the wool right off their back?  Did she think there's a zipper somewhere on the sheep that you can unzip and the sheep step out of their wool? Sure, many people don't grow up on a farm, but come on.......

• Love 5

Huh... Did she think the shearing was harmful or painful for the sheep? I'm sure the shearer explained it was like getting a haircut.

She was probably shocked that they would expose her little darling to a naked sheep.

i think SHE was more shocked by it than her kids. Her eyes were bugged out when she was herding her kids away.

Anyhow, it was about 98 degrees that day, so I'm sure the sheep was happy to get a haircut.

• Love 3

I think JJ would be curious to know where the figure of $2 million in damages come from.

I think part of it is what they paid for the house and part of it is for pain and suffering. The family claimed on local tv news that inhaling snake poop/dust made them ill.

The house was over $400,000 if I read the article correctly.  And since the daughter of the owner was the realtor as well, and it appears she may have done some hiding of the facts, I think $2,000,000 is fair, combining actual damages with pain and suffering and punitive damages.

There were also allegations that the renters complained about the snakes to the owner/daughter.  And local tv news mentioned that the current owners could hear noises coming from inside the walls and the house has an odor. From this link:http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/ReptilesAmphibians/Facts/FactSheets/Blackratsnake.cfm, the rat snake does produce a foul-smelling odor that it spreads around.

Anyhoo, snakes = squatters and in Maryland, there are no squatter rights, lol. I could picture JJ yelling at those snakes "You're a bunch of squatters! They were right to have you evicted! And now you have the nerve to sue them for wrongful eviction?! That takes some chutzpah! Your claim is dismissed!"

• Love 1
(edited)

Then the second new case got butted into AGAIN by fugitive garbage. Now I know they're doing it on purpose.

Angelahunter, do you live fairly close to the scene of the crime? I'm several hours away, but I'm not getting interruptions. It seems weird that you'd still be getting daily preemptions.

Now I'm really curious about how many prison breaks (in the U.S.) have been successful, how long people were out before re-capture, etc.

Edited by Trini

Here's my tip if you're appearing on JJ and you have to bring written proof for your case:  Bring the original copies of whatever you are presenting to the court. Most people (myself included) will rewrite papers so that it's readable, and yes it's all written at the sametime with the same pen/pencil

The lady who had the daycare timesheet said that she wrote the days on her calender and put it on the time sheet when she needed to turn it in. She should have brought the calender with her. I do that with my grocery list. I randomly write stuff on the list and rewrite the list before I go to the store.

Edited by Taylorh2

Bring the original copies of whatever you are presenting to the court.

And put the White-Out down! I love how Judge Milian flies into a rage when anyone gives her badly whited-out documents. I'm sure it's irritating having morons take you for an idiot.

As disgusted as I get with some of the litigants we see on Judge Judy who are working the system, this info makes me madder than hell!!

A family of four in New York City makes $497,911 a year but pays $1,574 a month to live in public housing in a three-bedroom apartment subsidized by taxpayers.  In Los Angeles, a family of five that’s lived in public housing since 1974 made $204,784 last year but paid $1,091 for a four-bedroom apartment. And a tenant with assets worth $1.6 million — including stocks, real estate and retirement accounts — last year paid $300 for a one-bedroom apartment in public housing in Oxford, Neb.

In a new report, the watchdog for the Department of Housing and Urban Development describes these and more than 25,000 other “over income” families earning more than the maximum income for government-subsidized housing as an “egregious” abuse of the system. While the family in New York with an annual income of almost $500,000 raked in $790,500 in rental income on its real estate holdings in recent years, more than 300,000 families that really qualify for public housing lingered on waiting lists, auditors found.

• Love 3

I've always wondered why footage isn't shown of plaintiffs & defendants physically going at each other. The odds are that is has to happen every once in awhile.

Maybe JJ won't allow those cases to be shown because she's not JERRY SPRINGER.

• Love 1