Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Back At Camp

Chip
  • Start Topic

I've finally come up with a real-life example to debunk the show's whole argument of "well, if the contestants didn't tell us they had a problem, then they were fine with keeping Dan in the game."

I had a cab driver this weekend who took me the long way to the convention center where I was attending a conference. He was chatty about himself, his family, his kids, and I sort of responded politely. Then he told me "Are you an actress? You are very beautiful" and started going on and on about how I looked like this Canadian actress in this movie who married this American man.

I said, "No, I'm not an actress and I've never seen that movie." He mentioned a few more details from the movie, verified that I was not an actress once again, and finally dropped me off at my destination.

Did I think the guy was going to hurt me? Probably not. Was I uncomfortable? Yeah. Uncomfortable enough to say something? Nope, not in a cab by myself.

Now if the cab company had contacted me afterwards and told me, "We were monitoring your cab ride. We strive to maintain a professional cab environment and we think what the guy said to you is inappropriate. He's been fired."

Would I say, "Oh no, don't fire him, I wasn't that uncomfortable, it's not his fault, I took it too personally." Or "How dare you take away my agency! How was he supposed to know he made me uncomfortable? It's my responsibility to speak up! Surely the fault is all mine!"

I'd shrug and think, "Well ... probably shouldn't have called a woman you don't know beautiful."

The point is: women put up with a lot of crap that makes us uncomfortable. That doesn't mean we like it or condone it. And it sure as heck doesn't mean that we wouldn't welcome someone else taking action and saying, "you know what, it doesn't matter if you didn't speak up, that kind of behavior isn't right."

But this hypothetical woman, who faints dead away at a man who makes people uncomfortable being removed from his position, because -- gasp! -- she never said she was uncomfortable with his behavior? That woman doesn't exist. It's a strawman argument.

Just because women don't speak up, it doesn't mean we're fine with it. No matter how much the show tried to convince itself that was true.

• Love 11

@Eolivet, thanks for sharing. I had a similar experience in my younger prettier days. 

I had returned a rental car and was riding back to my hotel in a bus provided by the car rental company. There was one other man on the bus, and after he was dropped off the driver made a few surprising, unwarranted snarky comments about him.

The driver then started chatting me up, offering to take me to a party and saying he had a place for me to stay overnight. I was kinda frightened, one reason because of the mean-mouth he had towards the man who had just gotten off. I told him "no thanks, my family is waiting for me at the hotel." Not true, I was alone. But I could feel the wheels turning in his head. He knew that I had just dropped off a rental car that would tie my dead body to his employer, and so I lived to see another day. 

• Love 2

(I can't make this fit in any thread, so I'm putting it here. It's general season talk about this season, but not about past seasons or fixing the show or anything.)

After last night, I have a new least favorite season of Survivor, regardless of who wins. Congratulations, Brian Heidik, you're no longer the worst of the worst.

Before last night, this season was bottom 5. Because while what happened with Dan was awful, production handled it like a big, dumb, arrogant corporation. They were tone-deaf and clueless and tried to pretend people cared about the game, with their big gold "you tried" sticker. They tried, you guys. They talked to people! They warned the guy!

But after last night, I see them as much more nefarious, much more cowardly, spineless human beings. Because they proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that they do not care about the contestants. At all.

I probably should've realized this when they weren't giving the contestants antibiotics for their infections before, you know, Caleb almost died in Kaoh Rong, but I naively thought they did sort of care about these people's well-being.

But the fact that they removed Dan after he went after -- gasp! -- a crew member is such a slimy, transparent, cover-your-ass move that it almost makes me ill. They made a caste system for sexual harassment. Contestants: fine. Production: perish the thought!

This is not to minimize the victim in the crew, but it never would've happened had they treated contestants like human beings, instead of offering a version of the shruggie emoji, all "oh well! That's the game!"

I get there's legal and financial motives and blah blah blah, but honestly, the fact that this show looked at one woman being harassed and was like "eh, seems fine to me" but changed their tune when it was a member of the crew turns my stomach.

Kellee was less than. Kellee was dehumanized. Kellee was sacrificed so The Almighty Game could continue. But this woman on the crew -- well. We can't have that, can we? It's the living embodiment of "I don't care about women's rights, except if it's my daughter/mom/sister" and I shouldn't be surprised or disappointed in 2019, but here we are.

And for that reason, Island of the Idols, you are the worst season in Survivor history. Because you wouldn't lift a finger to defend the contestants, but you sure circled the wagons around one of your own. Because all women are equal, but some are more equal than others. And if all Survivor seasons are equal, then this season is the absolute worst ever.

• Love 8

Helloooo friends!

I have actually missed a few seasons of Survivor. (mostly because I didn't have television and i worked wednesday nights). now I have TV and PVR  and i am home Wednesdays for finally a season I've wanted since like. 20 which is Winners at War.

not like i can catch up in time anyway-  so yes i'm probably gonna be spoiled but are there any winners coming back that were on the last few seasons? ( the last season i remember watching was....i think 35? it was some from of David and Goliath, but not the first one?). 

58 minutes ago, Daisy said:

not like i can catch up in time anyway-  so yes i'm probably gonna be spoiled but are there any winners coming back that were on the last few seasons?

If you saw David vs Goliath (S37) then you've seen the most recent winner who will be on S40, Nick. The winners of the last two seasons won't be playing Winners at War. No big loss, trust me!!

In fact most of the players on S40 will be from the newer seasons, with only a few "old school" players, namely Ethan, Amber, Danni, Sandra, BRob (if he counts as an old school player, IMO he doesn't) and Yul. I believe all the "30" seasons winners will be represented except for Mike from Worlds Apart and the last two winners as I mentioned.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, kassandra8286 said:

If you saw David vs Goliath (S37) then you've seen the most recent winner who will be on S40, Nick. The winners of the last two seasons won't be playing Winners at War. No big loss, trust me!!

In fact most of the players on S40 will be from the newer seasons, with only a few "old school" players, namely Ethan, Amber, Danni, Sandra, BRob (if he counts as an old school player, IMO he doesn't) and Yul. I believe all the "30" seasons winners will be represented except for Mike from Worlds Apart and the last two winners as I mentioned.

Thank you so much! 
(lol well now i know who won D vs G! 😉 - but no big deal truly, i can now figure out to see how he won his season when i get to rewatching it). it will be nice being able to talk Survivor with you guys again i truly missed it though what i LOVE about Survivor is basically as old school as Danni and Yul. 

(speaking of which. SANDRA. YUL. DANNI. YAAAAAAAAAAAAY). 

On 1/22/2020 at 2:51 PM, Daisy said:

not like i can catch up in time anyway-

There's going to be a special retrospective episode that airs the week before the premiere.  From what I've read, it's going to cover highlights from the entire history of Survivor.

While you might not be able to catch up, this ought to be of some help to you.

2 hours ago, SVNBob said:

There's going to be a special retrospective episode that airs the week before the premiere.  From what I've read, it's going to cover highlights from the entire history of Survivor.

While you might not be able to catch up, this ought to be of some help to you.

You would think, but not so much from what I've seen on it. The list of things I saw that they're going to cover in that retrospective made me decide I'd be doing something else then. Anything else, honestly. 

From https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2020/01/survivor-at-40-greatest-moments-players-announcement/:

In its press release announcing the special, CBS highlighted seven things that will be included:

“Parvati discusses her strategy behind the game-changing move of playing two idols in Heroes vs. Villains, and the psychology behind the historic Black Widow alliance that convinced Erik to give up his immunity necklace during Fans vs. Favorites.”

“Rob and Amber relive falling in love during All Stars and Rob’s marriage proposal at the live finale in Madison Square Garden.”

“Ben talks about his infamous upside-down U and winning the first final four fire-making challenge in Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers.”

“Jeremy remembers the anxiety that came with trying to find the first idol hidden within an immunity challenge during Second Chance.”

“The emotional Tribal Council when Ciera Eastin was forced to vote out her mom, Laura Morett in Blood vs. Water.”

The historic Tribal Council in Game Changers when fan-favorite Cirie Fields was voted out of the game despite not receiving a single vote.

“Plus, life-changing moments with Christian Hubicki (David vs. Goliath), Donathan Hurley (Ghost Island), David Wright (Millennials vs. Gen X), and Cirie Fields (Panama), who all overcame personal obstacles when faced with tough situations on the island.”

It also mentioned five players that will talk about their biggest moves and favorite moments. Those were BRob, Amber, Jeremy, Parvati, and Ben.

Le sigh.

On 11/25/2019 at 7:39 PM, Eolivet said:

I've finally come up with a real-life example to debunk the show's whole argument of "well, if the contestants didn't tell us they had a problem, then they were fine with keeping Dan in the game."

I had a cab driver this weekend who took me the long way to the convention center where I was attending a conference. He was chatty about himself, his family, his kids, and I sort of responded politely. Then he told me "Are you an actress? You are very beautiful" and started going on and on about how I looked like this Canadian actress in this movie who married this American man.

I said, "No, I'm not an actress and I've never seen that movie." He mentioned a few more details from the movie, verified that I was not an actress once again, and finally dropped me off at my destination.

Did I think the guy was going to hurt me? Probably not. Was I uncomfortable? Yeah. Uncomfortable enough to say something? Nope, not in a cab by myself.

Now if the cab company had contacted me afterwards and told me, "We were monitoring your cab ride. We strive to maintain a professional cab environment and we think what the guy said to you is inappropriate. He's been fired."

Would I say, "Oh no, don't fire him, I wasn't that uncomfortable, it's not his fault, I took it too personally." Or "How dare you take away my agency! How was he supposed to know he made me uncomfortable? It's my responsibility to speak up! Surely the fault is all mine!"

I'd shrug and think, "Well ... probably shouldn't have called a woman you don't know beautiful."

The point is: women put up with a lot of crap that makes us uncomfortable. That doesn't mean we like it or condone it. And it sure as heck doesn't mean that we wouldn't welcome someone else taking action and saying, "you know what, it doesn't matter if you didn't speak up, that kind of behavior isn't right."

But this hypothetical woman, who faints dead away at a man who makes people uncomfortable being removed from his position, because -- gasp! -- she never said she was uncomfortable with his behavior? That woman doesn't exist. It's a strawman argument.

Just because women don't speak up, it doesn't mean we're fine with it. No matter how much the show tried to convince itself that was true.

He wanted a big cash tip.  

Is anyone rewatching specific seasons to reacquaint themselves with the players?   I thought of slogging through the list and seeing which were on Amazon prime to rewatch but not sure if I should or not.  Maybe I should watch "fresh".  

3 minutes ago, marys1000 said:

He wanted a big cash tip.  

There's something seriously wrong with this particular man's attitude towards women if he thought unwanted verbal harassment would result in a big cash tip. Do men actually think like this? This could explain so much about Dan.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Eolivet said:

There's something seriously wrong with this particular man's attitude towards women if he thought unwanted verbal harassment would result in a big cash tip. Do men actually think like this? This could explain so much about Dan.

It’s not a guy thing, it’s a cabbie thing - or (more accurately) it’s a service staff thing, no different than the server who keeps showing up and interjecting themselves into the dinner conversation when all you and your friends/date want to do is talk amongst yourselves.  They’re working under the (frequently mistaken) impression they’re “enhancing” your experience with them, which will hopefully translate into a bigger tip at the end.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 1/21/2020 at 5:49 PM, RescueMom said:

Let's touch base closer to the premier - it would be nice to meet you if we both end up going!

Hi RescueMom, I am planning to go to the Premier. I've been sick since the beginning of the year so I was waiting to see how I felt before deciding. Anyhow I feel fine! Are you planning to go? 

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Hi RescueMom, I am planning to go to the Premier. I've been sick since the beginning of the year so I was waiting to see how I felt before deciding. Anyhow I feel fine! Are you planning to go? 

Yes I am!! I will DM you.

On 1/24/2020 at 7:51 AM, marys1000 said:

Is anyone rewatching specific seasons to reacquaint themselves with the players?   I thought of slogging through the list and seeing which were on Amazon prime to rewatch but not sure if I should or not.  Maybe I should watch "fresh".  

I've been trying to do some watching of seasons that I missed on Hulu, but some of the episodes are missing within seasons. It's a bit jarring and I feel like it's a ploy to get you to purchase CBS All Access. Anyone else with similar problems.

• Love 1

I watch on Hulu, and then catch the episodes that are missing on YT. They are of far lesser quality, and usually have to be altered slightly for copyright reasons. But hell if I'm paying anything extra. Yes, I'm cheap.

• Love 1

I'm cross-posting this in multiple threads and if I get banned, this is the hill I'm willing to die on because this may literally be a matter of life or death:

Tom Colicchio is out front in publicizing that the need to feed our nation's children during the COVID-19 crisis is even more critical than it quietly is every "normal" day. With schools closing because of the pandemic, millions of kids in the U.S. will lose their primary source of nutrition. https://www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/2174246/coronavirus-children-school-lunch/

Not only that, millions of people, especially in the service industry, are going to lose their incomes and may be faced with going hungry.

If you can afford to, please donate to your local food bank. You can save lives with a $5 donation.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I hope Colicchio wasn't arguing schools should remain open because of this, because that's where he and I part ways.

And now for something entirely different: I have become obsessed with the fact that 55% of the Survivor winners on this cast have blue eyes -- much higher than the 17% of the U.S. population. I know we have people who like to crunch data here, and who have access to old seasons, and I'd be so curious to find out how often a blue-eyed person won when none of the other F2/F3 had blue eyes. It's a small sample, but I find it fascinating (especially on this new Yara/green tribe -- now that Rob is gone, they all have blue eyes! Every single one of them. What are the odds?)

So, if a blue-eyed person won against another blue-eyed person (or a non-blue eyed person beat someone with blue eyes), they wouldn't count. But if a blue-eyed person won against those who didn't have blue eyes, they would (for example, I'm thinking of Michele against Aubry and Tai). I don't know, I'd do it myself but I don't have access to old contestant photos handy.

Maybe it's nothing, but it seems weird. Or all this social isolation has fried my brain, which is possible, too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Not sure where to post this cos I’m behind and don’t want to get spoiled BUT my husband when he discovered Michelle and Wendell dated... “they didn’t meet on the show... they obviously met at STAGECOACH”  (where my bachelorNation people at?) 

• LOL 2

What sweet little puppies, Nashville! Nice way to keep your mind off of everything!

This time of year I'm usually involved with this:

Well, I was trying to paste a picture of baby lambs but Primetimer wouldn't let me. 

I was wondering how COVID 19 is affecting everyone. So far everyone in my family is OK. I'm concerned about my parents as my dad is 94 and my mom is 85. Well, I'm concerned about everyone. My niece is probably the safest as she is back to her college town in Stevens County which has not had any COVID 19 positive diagnoses yet. (She has her own place.)

I've been working from home for about a month now. Yesterday my remote access was down for most of the day. At least I had work saved on my desktop. Some essential places are open; otherwise there is no place to go except my own yard or the parks.

Minnesota isn't as hard hit as some other states but I live in the county with the most positive diagnoses. I wish the state would publish what cities/towns the disease is in. I live in a small town in a more rural corner of the county and I'd like to know if anyone was sick in my area or if it is more in the big city.

I keep thinking I am coming down with it but the highest my temperature has been is 98.

More positively, spring is early this year. My crocuses are blooming and the daffodils and tulips are coming up. I like listening to the birds early each morning. And lots of baby lambs are being born right now where I volunteer. It's funny, this year all the lambs are white except for two brown ones. Last year, the black and brown ones dominated the white ones.

• Love 4

I also had a COVID-19 question for the more medically minded among us @Nashville among others: given the recent recommendation in the U.S. for universal masking with homemade masks in public, how "effective" are Survivor buffs as these kind of masks? My kids have them at home, and they do fit over the head and can cover the nose and mouth, but I didn't know if the material would be comparable to cotton (it's more synthetic, right?) Is it similar to a cloth mask? Is it so thin, it's pointless? Or does the fitting over the head provide any kind of protection?

2 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

This time of year I'm usually involved with this:

Well, I was trying to paste a picture of baby lambs but Primetimer wouldn't let me. 

So, now we know the story behind your name!

1 hour ago, Eolivet said:

I also had a COVID-19 question for the more medically minded among us @Nashville among others: given the recent recommendation in the U.S. for universal masking with homemade masks in public, how "effective" are Survivor buffs as these kind of masks? My kids have them at home, and they do fit over the head and can cover the nose and mouth, but I didn't know if the material would be comparable to cotton (it's more synthetic, right?) Is it similar to a cloth mask? Is it so thin, it's pointless? Or does the fitting over the head provide any kind of protection?

I was told that bandanas are useless. It seems like layering 2 dish towels is the best alternative to surgical masks.

EUxExgNWsAAu-80?format=jpg&name=large

I failed at arts and crafts, so I have no clue how someone would tie two dish towels around their face and makes them stay put. My only thought about how a buff differs from a bandana is it goes over the head, and does the fact it's not open in the back make any difference?

Although the data that came out yesterday indicates these viral particles are small, so maybe thickness is the key.

(edited)
5 hours ago, Eolivet said:

Although the data that came out yesterday indicates these viral particles are small, so maybe thickness is the key.

Adding this in at the top of my answer so you can easily find it:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html?fbclid=IwAR3Vdl7KUTxiAHnZXadGFJBNid74JvecR8X6IMkwzg6o9_TrLcp0KbsZhxk

In many cases it has to do with how tightly something is woven. But there are other considerations, too. The mask needs to fit without gaps and it needs to be breathable. So you're probably better off with a mask that technically blocks less but isn't going to make you woozy or doesn't bulge and gap when you exhale because air doesn't move easily through the mask. You also need to be able to put on and remove the mask safely/correctly to minimize the chance of simply spreading whatever the mask trapped to your face and hands and elsewhere and immediately wash it. That may be difficult with buffs.

Based on what I've read, as to particle size, last I saw the virus was .01 microns, but the good news is that particles that size actually tend to move around more and be easier to trap than particles of .03 microns. That's why .03 microns is used for testing filters. It's max penetration level.

All that said, wearing a mask primarily helps to stop ill (but possibly asymptomatic) people from spewing their highly infectious particles into the air by sneezing, coughing, breathing excitedly, whatever. If we all did it, it would greatly cut down on air-borne particles. It does less for the wearer him/herself, but every bit helps. So while bandannas score low at stopping incoming particles, they are more highly breathable than some other materials and they do stop outgoing droplets.

The link at the top has some guides to making and wearing a mask, including a no-sew one from a bandanna and coffee filter. The coffee filter will increase the filtering ability. 🙂

7 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

I wish the state would publish what cities/towns the disease is in. I live in a small town in a more rural corner of the county and I'd like to know if anyone was sick in my area or if it is more in the big city.

If it helps, we went through this here. I live in Western NY state, and the county officials made the mistake of announcing very general information about the first 3 confirmed cases, including vague locations. It was a mistake. Some people not in those areas didn't take proper precautions under the rationale of "Well, it's not here. It's over there." So the county stopped giving much location info. Now the most you get is which of the 4 county fire battalions the case is in, which is a huge swath. There are always going to be idiots who can't figure out what "Stay home unless it's essential, and if you have to go out, stay at least 6 feet from others" means, but it turns out that the less help you give the general populace in rationalizing why they're safe, the better. Being a mostly rural county has helped, and most people are trying to social distance on top of that. That said, it's going to hit harder here than it has. We're watching it in NYC and Buffalo (which is in an adjacent county) and people here have to travel to Buffalo for a lot of medical reasons, some which can't be put off.

What the County Health Commissioner ended up telling people was essentially, "It is here. People in your community either have it or have been places where it is or have been in contact with people who have been exposed. You need to take precautions and assume that it is everywhere."

For the most part, the Simply family is okay. We all like each other. We may have to duct tape Simply Dad to his chair because he's used to getting up at god awful o'clock in the a.m., meeting his buddies for coffee, and trotting around town as he likes as he putters on projects. This has been hard on him, but as an old guy with heart and lung problems, this virus would be a death sentence. Simply Mom and I are bigger homebodies so this is much less of a strain. Mostly we just keep on going, though I admit this website and Survivor are some of my distractions. So if you think I'm overthinking something, I probably am, and I'm so glad I can. 😂

Edited by simplyme
eta county commissioner's it is here
  • Love 4
On 4/7/2020 at 7:48 AM, Eolivet said:

As @simplyme stated, it’s less about the actual material being used (cotton vs, synthetic) and more about the thickness/porosity of the cloth.  Most clothing-level tightnesses of weave won’t stop very much, true - but “a little” is still better than “none”, and four folds of a bandanna will get you better filtration than two folds.

if you’re really worried about the lack of effectiveness, here’s a handy trick; when you’re folding up your bandanna/scarf, insert a folded-up coffee filter (or paper towel, even) into the folds, where your mouth will be.  Greatly amplifies the effectiveness.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 2/29/2020 at 7:15 AM, albinerhawk said:

I've been trying to do some watching of seasons that I missed on Hulu, but some of the episodes are missing within seasons.

This is why, in my quarantined frustration, I am now subscribing to Hulu and CBS (temporarily) because we were trying to watch old seasons (that my partner hadn't seen) and we kept getting spoiled when the "Previously..." would launch into events from a missing ep.

Edited by AncientNewbie
i spel gud
On 4/7/2020 at 4:06 PM, simplyme said:

I live in Western NY state, and the county officials made the mistake of announcing very general information about the first 3 confirmed cases, including vague locations

We might be neighbors, or else the whole area just has this issue...

2 hours ago, AncientNewbie said:

We might be neighbors, or else the whole area just has this issue...

Howdy, possible neighbor!

We've hit "hideously bored" levels here. The neighbor kittykat across the street from us has a sign up that says, "You honk, I drink." Some of these idgits are honking like the Bills won the Super Bowl. We figure he and his gal pal will either pass out soon or the neighbor two down from us will snap and call the cops on him. (It's a nice neighborhood. He's the worst of the lot, and really, he's just occasionally annoying.)

We've also started exchanging jigsaw puzzles with people (after sanitizing them the best we can if they've been touched recently). One person leaves a selection on their porch. Another drives up, picks them up, leaves some in return. By the end of April, my neighbor is going to have gone through 20 houses worth of puzzles. We're a bit slower since we stream more stuff and are hand sewing masks for people to fill the time. And napping. We've got the napping down.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Our house is essential-but-work-from-home which is this weird limbo where you can't really clean or remodel or nap because there has to be* constant vigilance on the phone/email from 8 to 5. It's this wonderful feeling where I'm at my desk more than I am in my office, but yet feel guilty about getting up to walk/feed the pets/feed myself during work hours.

We started watching Survivor together in S16 during the writers' strike, so part of our isolation has been watching at least the first ep of every season we didn't see together. We've done a couple whole seasons, but largely we're just doing the intro to the theme and first appearances of notables.

We were concerned about getting oversaturated so we picked an Amazing Race at random the other day...and it was Rob and Amber's first race season.

*less intense/anxious people might just go about their lives, but...that's not us.

Edited by AncientNewbie