Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Back At Camp

Chip
  • Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies
This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:
  • Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  • Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  • If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!
Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):
  • Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea
Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

I jumped onto the Survivor bandwagon near the end of the first season, and I've been watching since. While I feel that the show is a shadow of itself and Jeff Probst has become a poor man's Jeff Probst, I still tune in every week. I'd like to think it's because of the occasional happy ending (Sandra winning her second title, for instance), but I guess I need to snark on hapless idiots every seven days. S28 has been chock full of those, especially Tony (Russell Hantz Overdrive), Trish (who's lucky Lindsey quit and didn't clean her clock), and J'Tia (perhaps the worst player ever, or at least in recent memory). FTR, I'm rooting for Spencer, but I'm thinking Probst would die of embarrassment if a "brain" won. And I'm willing to bet that we'll have more "all stars" flooding future seasons, particularly for S30.

• Love 1

I had no interest in watching Survivor for years, but got roped into watching the first episode of the original Fans vs. Favorites season by my boss - and I have been hooked ever since.  Now it is my main TV addiction, one of the few shows that I watch regularly.  I think I enjoy the forums after each show as much as the show itself, so I am so happy that Previously TV has been so welcoming to all of us old TWoP refugees!  I've been trying to make a clean break and just head over here now, to get used to the new layout, etc.  It's been a far easier switch than I imagined it would be, and I'm grateful to the owners of this site for that.  I posted on TWoP but not as often as a lot of the regulars; I posted a lot in my head but that really doesn't show up in the forum activity stats very well or generate a lot of conversation.  So I'll try to be better about actually typing those thoughts out each week and being more active in the forums.

I am loving this season so far!  I actually don't mind returning players that much (although if I never see a Hantz again, it will be too soon), but it is fun to have a tribe full of new and interesting people.  The casting department definitely gets a pat on the back from me this season.  I hated Redemption Island the first two times but will admit that I thought it worked really well last season with the "loved ones" element. Still, I am happy for a more straight-forward season with all new players and no redemption island, and I love that I don't have any idea of where things are headed right now.  It feels like it's anyone's game at this point.

• Love 1

I watched from the very beginning - it is crazy when I think about the emotions that this show brought out of me in those first few seasons.  The anger I felt at Stacy that first season and the shock at Gretchen getting voted out was part of the viewing experience.  As were the recaps by Joanna and the forums at mbtv.  Definitely a different reason for watching than today, which I guess is because it's something I can watch with my younger kids. 

• Love 2

Damn, Rescue Mom! You wrote almost exactly what I would have written... except I got roped in by a coworker. I'm hoping to be more active which I think will be easier given how well this site has been set up.

I actually got into Survivor because I stated watching the American version of Big Brother (Though I did see the merge episode in season one, but that was mostly because Richard is from my home state and I wanted to see what was the big deal about this guy who everyone was talking about.).  I figured if I could get into Big Brother, then I would be able to get into Survivor which everyone told me was much better than Big Brother.  Well that proved to be the truth as Survivor: Amazon got me hooked and I have only missed one episode since (When Willard was voted out during season ten.) 

I was once one of those snobs that looked down at reality television as complete trash (Even though I am a wrestling fan, no I cannot explain that either.).  Which in some cases it is the truth but I will still watch pretty much any competitive reality show they put on television.  Hell I just sat through the entire season of Bad Girls Club All-Stars 2 and prior to that I watched every episode of Opposite Worlds, so that tells you I will watch damn near anything.

• Love 1

Hello all. I watched Survivor from the beginning, stopped for awhile and picked back up during Micronesia. I'm enjoying this season, especially with no retreads.

I used to read on TWOP, but rarely posted under a different name. I enjoy all of your posts, and look forward to joining in the discussions.

Hey y'all. I watched the first few seasons of Survivor because my ex was addicted, but quit in some misguided protest after our divorce. Eventually I decided that was stone stupid & I returned. Part of the fascination for me with this show is the knowledge that I would suck so much at this game that they would hold an extra special early tribal council just to get rid of me.

Howdy!  I started watching regularly at the beginning of Season 13.  I had watched reruns the summer before it and had seen some eps off and on when my friend watched it.  I've watched every season since, and have seen about half of the first 12 seasons.  Yul and Yau-Man are probably my favorite players, and I DESPISE BRob and his lemming Ambuh, Benjamin Wade, Parvati, Colton, and the Hantzes.

I, too, am migrating here from TWoP.  I only posted there a few times, using a different name.  I am very glad that this forum is here!

I wanted to take a moment to say hi (been lurking on PTV for a little while and just started posting within the past couple of weeks). Another refugee from the TWOP boards... initially I was really sad to hear it was shutting down, but after hanging out here I'm finding I like these boards more! Better features, nicer set up... it's good stuff. 

Like a lot of people I also got into Survivor in the first few seasons and then fell away from watching. It's only been in the past four years or so that I started watching it again. It's a big show at work with lots of Thursday "Can you believe he/she was voted out?" and other strategy discussion. A lot of seasons were a bit of a chore to get through (I'm looking at you Boston Rob and RI season), but this season has been really fun to watch. We need more seasons with all new faces and a reduction of twists. Just give me 16 people, the struggles with lack of food and shelter and people trying to play a social and strategic game. There's no need for anything else and I wish the producers would be less insecure about that recipe. 

In any case... it's good to get to know other fans and get different perspectives on what is becoming an American classic in reality tv. 

• Love 2

Would it be possible to put a "S28" in front of all of the titles of the contestant threads?  That way, years down the line, we can keep track of who was in what season, as well as sort by season.

Yes, but just know that I'm doing it out of love because it's kind of a pita. ;)

ETA: and done! Never say I didn't do anything for you lovely Survivorites!

• Love 3

So MrKate and I celebrated 10 big years of marriage yesterday. Survivor plays a teeny tiny part in our "how we ended up together" story. 

I had watched S1 and S2 of Survivor, but my CBS Reality Crack was TAR (fueled by the show itself and the awesome community of TAR fans at TWOP). Not-Yet-MrKate was a Survivor fan. A hurricane hit our area just as Pearl Islands was getting underway, throwing our area (his area especially) into a 2 1/2 week power-free period. He asked me, his friend, to tape episodes (like on VHS. We're so old ;-) ), and between watching Survivor, watching TAR, that's two nights a week we were together, that quickly grew. By the time Lill was sitting in her ridiculous uniform next to Sandra we were planning the wedding.

MrKate and I noted yesterday we have been through 21 Survivor seasons together. We've even managed to stay together through his ridiculous and abiding love for Rupert - in good times and in bad, right? ;-) 

• Love 8

I asked this question in the episode thread and never got an answer, so I wonder if that was the wrong place to ask.  Does anyone know if they still award $100,000 for second place?  They never seem to mention this anymore, and sometimes we never even know who did come in second (when there's been a final three).  I thought they did away with the second place prize in favor of the fan favorite prize.  

I'm only asking because there's lots of discussion about Kass knowing she can't win the million dollars and aiming for the second place prize, which would be hysterical if there is no second place prize.

• Love 1

I'm guessing this is the right place to put this. I was just wondering if anyone was at the Hearts of Reality Party in Celebration, FL a couple of weeks ago. I went with my best friend and fellow Survivor junkie, and we had the best time! Spent most of the evening talking to LJ and Spencer, also had a pretty good conversation with Hayden. Kat was there and screeching in a high-pitched voice, and Special Agent Phil complimented my friend's dress more than once. Also spent some time with a couple of Amazing Racers (Chuck of Chuck and Wynonna and one of the Jaymzes). We live in the area, so it will definitely be an annual event for us from here on out.

• Love 1

I too have followed Survivor since ep1 Season 1. As I remember, CBS actually had half decent promo's for the show, which peaked my interest. But I must admit, after all these seasons they tend to blend together sometimes. Like I remember very little of Earl or Tom

's winning seasons, which I think tells me that they were pretty uneventful.

With all that said, I guess the reason I keep coming back is to see what person will make a complete fool of themselves on nation TV. It seems Burnett and Probst have a never ending supply of Hantz', Naonka's and Colton's. And I guess I tune in to see the next one...

A friend was saying how he would love to see a Survivor of totally type A successful Trump types. 

Which led me to

I would love to see Congressman/Senators play (all one party or the other otherwise it would pagogong) Talk about experienced spinner's, back dealers, and liar's. 

• Love 1

I had a dream that I was at a hotel with a Millenials-esque cast of young party animals.  They said there were going to be 3 themes, 3 locations, and 3 casts simultaneously playing, and rotating theme and location 3 times.  So it would be 9 seasons, 3 for each cast, 3 for each theme.  So it would be Cast A plays "brains vs brawn vs beauty" while Cast B plays "millenials vs gen-x" while Cast C plays Cook Island race wars (or whatever.  Nobody said what the themes actually were.)  And then Cast C would play BBB while Cast A plays MvGX while Cast B plays Cooks-style, etc.  So each cast had to have people meeting the theme, and get reconfigured each season with the same people (like, we can imagine, David is a Gen-X one season, a Brain the next, and a White Guy the third, whereas Jeremy Collins would be Gen-X, then Brawn, then Black Guy; they'd be on the same tribe only in the MvGX season.)

"The same cast playing three times?" I mused aloud.  "What if one person won all three?!"

• Love 3

I think we need to revive this tread for remote Survivor talk as well as things we go trough in our life, where we can build a community where any will understand random occurrences, such as in "I went crazy in that meeting, total Abi Maria moment."   

• Love 2

Curious if anyone around here has ever actually applied to be on the show. I know Survivor wouldn't be for me-- I'm a bit of a germophobe with absolutely no sense of balance and a legitimately terrible liar without any kind of poker face-- but a friend and I did get a callback for TAR forever ago... Our spot eventually went to the "hippies." 

• Love 1

Same! I might literally die out there. I'm not a princess by any means but I am a city girl and I require running water. And, despite Cirie having such a positive experience after "getting off the couch", I would never even give it a try because I know I'd be a miserable bitch. There's definitely no way I'd be winning Fan Favourite!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I didn't even hate the hippies like most did, but still, that has to hurt!

Yep. I was pretty resentful about it for a good long while, but, had we known how casting would go, we would've come up with a more gimmicky angle for our application. Ultimately, good for them for figuring that out before applying as a "character" (i.e. Coach, Phillip, Debbie) really became a thing!

• Love 1
On 3/10/2017 at 8:29 AM, omophagia said:

Curious if anyone around here has ever actually applied to be on the show. I know Survivor wouldn't be for me-- I'm a bit of a germophobe with absolutely no sense of balance and a legitimately terrible liar without any kind of poker face-- but a friend and I did get a callback for TAR forever ago... Our spot eventually went to the "hippies." 

I'm curious how you know your spot went to the hippies.  

On 3/10/2017 at 8:29 AM, omophagia said:

I wouldn't apply because I would have to stop smoking. Probably end up like Shane. 

• Love 6

From what I know, most of the contestants on Survivor are recruited, have been for the past dozen seasons or so. No thanks, not for me. I like a comfortable place to sleep, and bamboo isn't going to cut it. I'm grumpy if I don't get a good night's sleep.

• Love 3
On 3/10/2017 at 9:29 AM, omophagia said:

Curious if anyone around here has ever actually applied to be on the show.

Not yet - I work for a living. :) 

I'd love to give Survivor specifically a whirl - yet more evidence of that insanity streak my better half keeps going on about - but there hasn't been a point in time since Reagan's second term when I didn't have multiple people's lives dependent on me keeping a steady paycheck going for them to, you know, eat and stuff.  It's only been within the last few months or so that my wife and I have truly started the last steps towards Empty Nest-dom, and we're still not quite there yet.

Technically, though, I am eligible to retire around the middle of next year - so it might be something I keep in the back of my mind....  :)

• Love 3

I applied for a knock-off show called (if I remember right!) Treasure Hunters? They were looking for three-person teams. Auditions were held at a bar in Boston. Our three were my niece Wendy, Wendy's boyfriend's sister and me I was in my early 70s, Wendy and WB'S were both in their 40s. Everyone else in the line to apply was under 25. I thought we were totally wasting our time (but having fun!), but it turned out that we stood out from the crowd because of our ages. A few days later, we got a call-back for a second interview ... to be videotaped and sent to the west coast production offices. Woo hoo, we were SO excited! Those who made it to the next step were to be flown out to California. Sadly, we never got the next call. I think part of the reason we didn't make it was that Wendy's boyfriend's sister and I did not know each other at all, had never met. So we were not a comfortable threesome, in the way that three old friends can be. It was definitely a fun experience though ... if you have a chance to apply, do it!

• Love 3

I've never applied but last night I dreamed that I was back for my Second Chance after not doing well my first time.  It was the hotel on the way to the location and I was looking around in a panic realizing I didn't have anyone and feeling terrified I was going to be the first boot!

• Love 7

I'd like to give it a shot. I turn 60 next year, so why not? It would certainly be an adventure! The social part of it scares me more than the physical. My boss would have to OK it; I would like to have a job when I get back. I'd use up all my vacation days plus have to take unpaid time, too. I don't think there's any way I could pretend this was short-term disability (paid 6 weeks).

Good luck MarkHB!

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, Stinamaia said:

There is a legal concept called acceptance of risk. I am sure the survivor contract is laced with acceptance of risk throughout with many of the risks set forth explicitly.  When someone knows there will be insufficient food, and accepts that condition, negligence doesn't apply.  Remember Fiji where one tribe didn't even have potable water and was reduced to getting drops of water off leaves after rain?

I guess it depends on the state in the US.  Some don't let you waive your right to sue for negligence.  I'm not sure what court would govern here.  But I think the network probably doesn't want to court disaster.  JMO

It's my dream to be the oldest woman on Survivor and I'm progressing well with the old part.  I'm great at going without food, have often fasted for days, but the sleep deprivation would be a real problem.  I not only need a comfy mattress and fluffy pillow, I can't sleep on my back at all.  I've done eight hour night flights where everyone else was fast asleep and I was wide awake, simply because I couldn't get positioned on my side.  How do any of them ever sleep on bamboo with bugs biting and no covers?  Remember Scout with her messed up leg and the man with a knee replacement and very expensive dress shoes that someone filled with sand and water?  Those two were hopeless at challenges and not that great in the personality department, but they went pretty far in the game, playing the 'I'm no threat," card.  That's my plan.

• Love 5

I am with you @JudyObscure.  I would be fine with little food* but the sleeping would kill me.  I cannot sleep on a flight either.  I flew business class to New Zealand from the east coast (23 hrs of flight time).  The seats recline further but not far enough for a side position.  I took a xanax so I fell asleep.  I awoke with my upper half on the seat, face down (on stomach position), and the rest of me was on the floor.  It worked!  I had a crick in my neck for a couple of days but I did sleep.  I would love a first class sleeping pod on all flights no matter the length!

* fish, rice and coconut, YUM, very Thai.   

• Love 1

I would be useless due to the sleep situation.  And I can't sleep in moving vehicles.  My child was always the same, too.  

I have a feeling that when you're tired enough out there, you will sleep through what you have to.  I have a feeling they take a lot of daytime naps out there, too.  

8 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I guess it depends on the state in the US.  Some don't let you waive your right to sue for negligence.  I'm not sure what court would govern here.  

Either New York or California, I expect. 

Known addresses for Survivor Productions, LLC are:

• 51 W 52nd St New York, NY 10019
  • 4024 Radford Ave Studio City, CA 91604

8 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

But I think the network probably doesn't want to court disaster.  JMO

Ar, ar.  I see what you did there.  :)

Well, it's the small talk thread.  I just think(ie) they give them a minimum ration.  They have medical and legal advisors, it would make the most sense.  Well, and from a humane perspective as well, of course.  

12 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Well, it's the small talk thread.  I just think(ie) they give them a minimum ration.  They have medical and legal advisors, it would make the most sense.  Well, and from a humane perspective as well, of course.  

I think they hired a medical adviser after season 2, Australia.  It was never that bad again.  I suspect they got a lot of feedback on their health. 

Africa was pretty bleak, unless they had fresh water we weren't shown.  I do feel like the network lawyers started making them have less risky conditions, for sure.  If water was as sparse and labor-intensive to obtain and to clean as we were shown, it's kind of a miracle no one got heat stroke.  They could've had a serious disaster on their hands.  

I suppose there could've been near disasters that were covered up, kind of like on S1 of UnReal where a contestant died due to producer negligence and they covered up the true cause (iirc).  

17 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

This just hit me!  You realize when I posted "this thread has become thinkie" (in episode thread) I was not criticizing the direction at all!   I was being silly and light hearted as I was here.   

• Love 1

Someone mentioned Kelly Goldsmith (Africa), and I had to stop and think which Kelly she was; this led to me scrolling through an alphabetical list of contestants and realizing one could field a team of eight Kell[e]ys vs. eight Johns (not counting Reed Kelly's last name).  

There may also, between a Mick, a Mikey, and an agglomerations of Mikes and Michaels, be the possibility of fielding a given-name-Michael 3rd team.

Silly, I know!

• Love 4
On 3/13/2017 at 7:25 AM, Porkchop said:

I applied for a knock-off show called (if I remember right!) Treasure Hunters? They were looking for three-person teams. Auditions were held at a bar in Boston. Our three were my niece Wendy, Wendy's boyfriend's sister and me I was in my early 70s, Wendy and WB'S were both in their 40s. Everyone else in the line to apply was under 25. I thought we were totally wasting our time (but having fun!), but it turned out that we stood out from the crowd because of our ages. A few days later, we got a call-back for a second interview ... to be videotaped and sent to the west coast production offices. Woo hoo, we were SO excited! Those who made it to the next step were to be flown out to California. Sadly, we never got the next call. I think part of the reason we didn't make it was that Wendy's boyfriend's sister and I did not know each other at all, had never met. So we were not a comfortable threesome, in the way that three old friends can be. It was definitely a fun experience though ... if you have a chance to apply, do it!

I loved that show.  It was like a "National Treasurer" themed show and was sponsored by GenWorth Insurance I think.  If I remember correctly, it was down to the geeks and the navy team and I think the geeks won.  I remember a contestant actually broke their leg which has always surprised me that Survivor hasn't resulted in more broken bones (I can only remember the broken wrist from the first episode of One World).  Too bad you didn't get to complete.