Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Hourglass Sandbox

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

My portable air conditioner and fans. We didn’t break our all time record of 37.2 but came close at 37. 35 today and then cooling off to the mid to high 20s. Lytton, BC set a Canadian record three days in a row and capped off at 49.5 or 49.6. Unfortunately and sadly, most of the village burned down because of a wildfire overnight. I think there were over 700,000 lightning strikes in BC. And currently at least 78 wildfires. The Pacific NW area does not get this type of weather. Our heat is 5-10 days per summer.

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/canada-lightning-strike-heat-wave-video-b1876583.html

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/62-new-wildfires-29k-lightning-strikes-reported-in-24-hours-in-b-c-state-of-emergency-possible-this-summer-1.5493358

I work with Fahrenheit, so I had to google that... 121 degrees?!?!  Wow!  Stay safe!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Clouds today! BC Interior got up to 121. I think we hit 102.

Summer has just started.

Yikes! Sta;y Safe!  Instead of a "FrozenDiva" you must be a "MeltingDiva" :)

• Love 3
On 7/2/2021 at 12:28 PM, Frozendiva said:

Clouds today! BC Interior got up to 121. I think we hit 102.

Summer has just started.

Hopefully it has cooled down now.  
   It has rained so much here that the basement in apartment complex is been flooded pretty much for a month.  They have been trying to dry it out but the maintenance staff just can’t keep up.  
   So the laundry room has been closed.   Luckily I have a good friend who who let me do laundry 🧺 at her house.   I just keep her dog company and walk her. She is a cute beagle.  

• Love 4

We had a warmer than average summer here. With the fires and drought conditions, the crops are so-so. Some areas were declared agricultural disaster zones. Not enough rain.  I'd assume some of the BC and other Pacific NW fires are still burning but are more in control and with cooler weather and precipitation, might fizzle out.

Some of the mountain parks in Jasper and Banff have seen the first snow. It melted, but winter is on the way.

The leaves are still on the trees. Fall can be very short here and one or two good windy days will bring a lot of them down. Geese are still flapping about but some are starting the trip south.

Alberta has been hit hard by the 4th Covid wave. The provincial leadership is in shambles and the day after the recent federal election about two weeks ago, the premier has asked the government for help. So now we have the army and nurses from other provinces coming here to help out.

Sucks about the flooding in the apartment building. You are lucky to have a friend who can help you out. The beagle is a bonus!

• Love 3

I don’t know where else to post this as it is off topic but the show reminds me of it.   Least year the elderly couple in their 80s I became friends with were having a few issues.  They live  an a Inlaw apartment upstairs from her daughter.   Husband was having issues with digestion and he took a full bottle of milk of magnesia.   Since he is 85 I guess it depleted him of his nutrients.   They were on their way to a doctors appointment and he fell in the doctors driveway.  She could not lift him and they called an ambulance to take him to the hospital.  When he got there they would not let her visit and said that he had to stay there.  Then they sent him to a rehab place and said because they lived upstairs he could not come home.  At the time no visitors were allowed you had to waive outside the window to visit.  It was very sad and He only had the senior cell phone and he used all his minutes trying to talk to everyone.  The rehab place would not give the wife any information and said he could not come home she could not take care of him.   Then the insurance company said they would not pay for any more time and suddenly the rehab place said oh he’s strong enough to go home now.  

Edited by tribeca
33 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

No one could visit anyone with COVID restrictions. There should have been conversations about an extended care center or some sort of assisted living facility. Or visits from a home nurse.

They would not inform his wife of his condition.  They did call his daughter but not his wife.   The rehab place said he could not come home since he lived on the second floor.   They had he was not strong enough for the stairs.  When the insurance said they would only cover a few more days suddenly he was strong enough to go home.   He arrived home just in time for the super bowl.   He was happy about that.  Although they did install a chair lift type thing for the stairs he does the stairs just fine.   Most of the time he sends his groceries on the chair lol.   

• Love 2

@tribeca, that is very strange. Did the medical files have his daughter as the contact person? I can see talking to both the wife *and* the daughter. Is there an English as a Second Language issue that might cause that to happen? His home situation is a family matter. He and his family could sell the place if they owned it or break the lease and find more suitable accommodation. Their decision. At least the groceries get a fun ride up the stairs!

• Love 2

@Frozendiva he does not remember signing over anything.  The daughter is his from previous marriage and wife was not sure If she was totally honest.   Her daughter and in-law own the house.   The plan has always been for them to live in that apartment for as long as able.   Then and If needed they would move downstairs with daughter.   It was very stressful time and I was zero help 😞

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, tribeca said:

@Frozendiva he does not remember signing over anything.  The daughter is his from previous marriage and wife was not sure If she was totally honest.   Her daughter and in-law own the house.   The plan has always been for them to live in that apartment for as long as able.   Then and If needed they would move downstairs with daughter.   It was very stressful time and I was zero help 😞

I would mind my business but keep an eye on stuff and offer help if needed. The daughter may be seen as his next of kin and there may be some signed document somewhere advising his doctors that she is to be contacted instead of his wife.

• Love 2

It is definitely Halloween weekend with scary moments. I just had mine: I am dog sitting my nephew's dog and he comes near me, so I think he wants me to pet him. Then I look down.

He brought me in a dead mouse. My scream would have rivaled any horror movie! (And here I thought only cats did that!)

Sweet dog, but we definitely have different ideas as to what constitutes nice gifts!

• LOL 7
19 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

It is definitely Halloween weekend with scary moments. I just had mine: I am dog sitting my nephew's dog and he comes near me, so I think he wants me to pet him. Then I look down.

He brought me in a dead mouse. My scream would have rivaled any horror movie! (And here I thought only cats did that!)

Sweet dog, but we definitely have different ideas as to what constitutes nice gifts!

You are a very, very good aunt!

• Love 4
  • Was going to do laundry and walk friends dog this morning.   Unfortunately after getting laundry in car noticed my back tire was flat.  My brother came over with fix a flat and helped put air in tire.  So tired 😪 of nothing going right. Just bought four  new tires a month ago.  Medical bills never end.  Just feeling down this Monday.  

8CA7C999-CCAA-4EDA-81A4-093F740007D6.jpeg

• Sad 1
  • Love 1

It is just Thursday in Canada.

BC will be getting more rain. A week or so ago, it was hit with severe flooding and significant damage to various roads. Probably the worst national disaster in Canadian history. The Coquihalla highway will be out of commission for months. Many goods arrive at the port of Vancouver and the supply chain is disrupted as people try to find alternate routes.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8402737/bc-coquihalla-highway-5-reopen-2022-update/

21 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

It is just Thursday in Canada.

BC will be getting more rain. A week or so ago, it was hit with severe flooding and significant damage to various roads. Probably the worst national disaster in Canadian history. The Coquihalla highway will be out of commission for months. Many goods arrive at the port of Vancouver and the supply chain is disrupted as people try to find alternate routes.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8402737/bc-coquihalla-highway-5-reopen-2022-update/

I had seen some pictures on the news....it looks terrible.  I hope you are OK in your area!

• Love 2

I am fine. We had a dump of wet snow last week and some freezing rain yesterday. My deck door stuck from the ice caused by the rain/snow mix. BC now is under an Environment Canada weather red alert with more rain next week. Just a mess. The Prime Minister visited the areas affected today, when it was safer for him to do so. The military is assisting and the government is offering whatever help it can provide. There is talk that the Coquihalla highway may reopen in January.

Tomorrow is grocery day. The supply chain is struggling with fresh produce and basic goods. A lot of our stuff comes through BC, as we are next door. I tend to stock up year round - buy an extra can of soup, pasta, instant rice, canned meat, etc. The freezer is 3/4 full and I have plenty in the pantry. My Sephora sale order hasn’t been sent. I don’t care when it arrives - just some eye cream and I am good til late January. I feel badly for the poor people affected by the heat dome and fires during the summer.

• Love 2

The elderly couple I am friends with have to quarantine for 10 days so I will not get to see them this Christmas.  They live in-law apartment in their daughters house.  Their so in law and two of the grandkids that live downstairs have Covid.  Even though they had their vaccine the doctor said due to their age they should quarantine for 10 days.  

3 hours ago, tribeca said:

The elderly couple I am friends with have to quarantine for 10 days so I will not get to see them this Christmas.  They live in-law apartment in their daughters house.  Their so in law and two of the grandkids that live downstairs have Covid.  Even though they had their vaccine the doctor said due to their age they should quarantine for 10 days.  

Sorry to hear this, the Holidays are not a good time to be sick or in quarantine.  This new Omicron variant of Covid is really spreading quickly, I just got my booster shot yesterday.

• Love 1

I am tentatively booked for my booster shot for Thursday. My first booking somehow was cancelled. Almost at the 6 months since the second shot. Might be able to get out of a Christmas Eve thing at my cousin’s friend’s home - she invites me months in advance, I don’t know her, I don’t socialize with her during the year. I like a quiet evening on my own before the mega dinner. Relatives on Christmas. I didn’t mind spending the day alone last year. They dropped off a food care package. Probably around 10 people expected. Provincial restrictions want folks to cut their contacts in half. I barely see anyone.

• Love 3
On 12/21/2021 at 10:36 PM, Frozendiva said:

I am tentatively booked for my booster shot for Thursday. My first booking somehow was cancelled. Almost at the 6 months since the second shot. Might be able to get out of a Christmas Eve thing at my cousin’s friend’s home - she invites me months in advance, I don’t know her, I don’t socialize with her during the year. I like a quiet evening on my own before the mega dinner. Relatives on Christmas. I didn’t mind spending the day alone last year. They dropped off a food care package. Probably around 10 people expected. Provincial restrictions want folks to cut their contacts in half. I barely see anyone.

How did your booster shot go?  Did it happen?  I hope you decide to do whatever makes you feel best.

Happy Christmas Eve to you and to all our fabulous posters!!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, boes said:

How did your booster shot go?  Did it happen?  I hope you decide to do whatever makes you feel best.

Happy Christmas Eve to you and to all our fabulous posters!!

It didn’t. I woke up at 5 am or so with a sinus headache and was feeling nauseous so I cancelled it and rebooked it for next week. A lot of people made bookings and the supply hasn’t come in, so who knows if my appointment will happen.

I am not going to the five hour dinner. Rather stay home, eat what I want, and put my feet up. If I had the shot, I could have said my reaction sucked and I had to stay home.

It will be a white Christmas here. Right now, Sunday night shows -36C as the forecast. Brrr. Happy Christmas, holidays, Festivus, Kwanzaa, etc. to everyone.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Where I am it'll be 66F. That's not Christmas, dammit!

We had a coating of snow last night. Tonight, we're under a Winter Weather Advisory because of freezing rain. Meanwhile, my brother is getting a White Christmas in Washington State.

But at least the weather I'm getting is basically typical Upstate New York weather now. We hit 60 for a day about a week and a half ago.

And Christmas 2015 (remember this well!), it hit 75 on Christmas Day. All wrong for Christmas here!

(I just wish freezing rain wasn't so slippery and dangerous, so I hope everyone is careful tonight.)

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Chellfairy said:

We sold out of home tests (had over 150) at the pharmacy I work for on The day before Christmas Eve! Still can’t get any in. FYI, and on the down low, you might want to exaggerate your symptoms to get the  PCR test.

Exaggerate?  I've been able to get a PCR test through local pharmacies, for free, throughout the pandemic.  I didn't need to have symptoms or even a confirmed exposure?  Only a belief that I may have been exposed. 

The only drawback is that I have to usually wait a day or 2 from scheduling the appointment and then another day or 2 for the results.

• Love 1

It’s difficult to get a test here.  The governor gave a bunch of home tests  to the towns to hand out for free.  Unfortunately they arrived late then they gave one day notice to pick them up.  I was working so missed it.   
many of my coworkers are out with it or waiting on tests.  We have inventory at 3:30 am tomorrow because we don’t have enough staff to get it done before the store opens.  
  There is a test site right next to the store and when I get to work at 9 every morning there is a long line to get in. 

Edited by tribeca

From Chellfairy:

1 HOURS AGO, FROZENDIVA SAID:

I think I caught the virus after almost 2 years. Had a sinus type headache that I blamed on  shoveling snow in the cold and wind (-20-30C). Three days later I had leg pain and a bad cough, along with what I felt was sniffles and sneezing. Have spent the past week or so isolating. No rapid tests available, my symptoms were too mild to get a PCR test, so I have been stuck at home. I ordered groceries for delivery and one item was out of stock, so I called my cousin and asked that if they were near a grocery store to buy a few bananas for me. Today was the first day I went anywhere in 9 plus days. New isolation period comes into effect Monday.

EXPAND  

We sold out of home tests (had over 150) at the pharmacy I work for on The day before Christmas Eve! Still can’t get any in. FYI, and on the down low, you might want to exaggerate your symptoms to get the  PCR test.
I had covid in November and my symptoms  where the same as far as thinking it was a cold or allergies.  
Just make sure you can eat the best you can and hydrate…water water water, Gatorade an/or pedialyte , if you can. Vitamin D, C and Zinc.  I lived on soup, crackers , bananas and peanut butter 

Feel better, keep me updated please!

@brisbydog, I am in Alberta which is about as bad or worse than Ontario. Some rapid tests did come in but were snapped up in no time. A few million had been ordered but where they are is anyone's guess.

Mild symptoms? Don't bother unless you need a test for work. Just isolate. Now it's changed to 5 days if you have been vaccinated and 5 days wearing a mask.

Still have a bit of congestion but my cough is almost gone. Feeling less foggy and less under the weather.

Managed to go out today and found myself a birthday cake since I was still isolating Wednesday, I had ordered some groceries because I ran out (usually restock a few days after Christmas), and the special occasion cakes were out of stock. So a belated cake for me.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Frozendiva said:

@brisbydog, I am in Alberta which is about as bad or worse than Ontario. Some rapid tests did come in but were snapped up in no time. A few million had been ordered but where they are is anyone's guess.

Mild symptoms? Don't bother unless you need a test for work. Just isolate. Now it's changed to 5 days if you have been vaccinated and 5 days wearing a mask.

Still have a bit of congestion but my cough is almost gone. Feeling less foggy and less under the weather.

Managed to go out today and found myself a birthday cake since I was still isolating Wednesday, I had ordered some groceries because I ran out (usually restock a few days after Christmas), and the special occasion cakes were out of stock. So a belated cake for me.

Here in the US, Michigan , we have free testing in Detroit.  I am sure the lines are long, but so many people have refused to get vaccinated and won’t take the test. Very worrisome because they are most at risk! It’s Wayne county.  I am in Macomb county, however a 10 minute walk into Wayne county and 1/2 hour drive to Detroit.

I work for an independent Pharmacy, so the owner makes soooooo much money from people buying the at home tests. Vaccinations are always free though, insurance or not. But the Pharmacy gets a lot of $$ giving them, which makes me so very pissed off. It’s seem all about politics/government , but I am happy that people  are getting the vacs and the booster! It’s been very stressful at work filling loads of prescriptions and billing/ giving the vaccinations, because we only have 2 pharmacists and 5 techs. We can’t seem to keep any techs, no one wants to work!  
Happy Happy belated Birthday 🎂. Eat the whole cake, be selfish, ( which I know is not in your nature) but you deserve it. Feel better soon! Eat and hydrate !!
         ❤️❤️🎂🎂❤️❤️

• Love 1

We did inventory at 345AM.  Short any other three employees.  One had a fever and was sent home.   The other two no clue what happened.

the brought us egg sandwiches from a local dinner for breakfast.  The dinner was happy for the support so included some cookies.  I just can’t eat that early and not a big cheese person so none for me.  
   We finished at 11 am and I am beat.  Tomorrow off laundry 🧺 and walking my friends sweet beagle.  Then two doubles in a row.   Should be doing housework figure the cleaning can wait a bit.   

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Happy Birthday! 

Cake Pastel GIF by Shaking Food GIFs

• Love 4

This morning was an icy mess.  Car accident right in front of the middle school here.  Had a killer migraine and weak stomach.   Called in to both jobs.  Neither happy.   Full time job is short staffed manager did not seem thrilled but was okay.  Part time restaurant job was kind of annoying.  New manager kept asking if I tried to find coverage.  No I only have two peoples numbers and both were working plus you leave me alone to close all the time!

Slept a good portion of the day then I got a phone call saying I have to quarantine I was in close contact with a coworker who tested positive. Manager said I can’t come back to work until the 12th.  I got kind of nervous saying I can’t afford to be out that long without pay.  She said no we get paid if it’s a coworker.   

Edited by tribeca
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, tribeca said:

This morning was an icy mess.  Car accident right in front of the middle school here.  Had a killer migraine and weak stomach.   Called in to both jobs.  Neither happy.   Full time job is short staffed manager did not seem thrilled but was okay.  Part time restaurant job was kind of annoying.  New manager kept asking if I tried to find coverage.  No I only have two peoples numbers and both were working plus you leave me alone to close all the time!

Slept a good portion of the day then I got a phone call saying I have to quarantine I was in close contact with a coworker who tested positive. Manager said I can’t come back to work until the 12th.  I got kind of nervous saying I can’t afford to be out that long without pay.  She said no we get paid if it’s a coworker.   

Sorry to hear about all that!  This whole Covid situation does not seem to be getting better...good luck during Quarantine

• Love 1

Just cold here. -32C tonight with possible -42C windchill. Some town in the Northwest Territories (up north) has hit -50C.

The Monday forecast brings us up to 0C or more - 30 degree temp increase. 

Roads are crappy as nothing works on the ice. The condo folks cleared out the access road yesterday. Probably had 7-10 cm of snow.  3-4 inches.  Ventured outdoors to clear off the snow that the bobcat left and to get the mail. I hate icy roads. Went out Sunday to get a calendar and a belated birthday cake and was surprised at the black ice in spots. And of course, one of the grocery stores I would visit closed permanently Dec. 31. No idea.

Still a bit congested. More due to the dry air and the furnace running. Last dregs of the bug I caught. Of course more rapid tests will be arriving soon, just when I am reasonably healthy.

Ended up baking some orange oatmeal chocolate chip raisin muffins.

Still playing tug of war with my prelit tree that is seriously stuck.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Just cold here. -32C tonight with possible -42C windchill. Some town in the Northwest Territories (up north) has hit -50C.

The Monday forecast brings us up to 0C or more - 30 degree temp increase.

Are you suffering in Alberta with me, @Frozendiva? I almost bawled 😭 Monday when I woke up and saw all the snow. Currently hunkering down with a very nasty cold (two rapid tests have been negative so fingers crossed), and hoping there's no more snow until April.

As for the temperature going up, I'll believe it when I see it 😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, auchic said:

Are you suffering in Alberta with me, @Frozendiva? I almost bawled 😭 Monday when I woke up and saw all the snow. Currently hunkering down with a very nasty cold (two rapid tests have been negative so fingers crossed), and hoping there's no more snow until April.

As for the temperature going up, I'll believe it when I see it 😂

Live in Edmonton. The snow on Monday and Tuesday? Enough.

I battled my mystery bug starting before Christmas. Stopped for two days. No rapid test, the PCR test wasn’t sick enough for. Feel better now.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Live in Edmonton. The snow on Monday and Tuesday? Enough.

I battled my mystery bug starting before Christmas. Stopped for two days. No rapid test, the PCR test wasn’t sick enough for. Feel better now.

Glad to hear you're over whatever you had.  Happy belated birthday.  Those muffins sound delicious.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

Glad to hear you're over whatever you had.  Happy belated birthday.  Those muffins sound delicious.

Just a regular oatmeal muffin recipe. I zest one or two oranges and squeeze the juice and add to the milk (i.e. recipe asks for 1 cup milk and I use whatever I get from the oranges and add milk to reach 1 cup.

• Love 3

How am I just now popping into this thread?!

Welcome to all, and a special hello to my many fellow Western Canadian posters! I'm on Vancouver Island, where we currently have SNOW - which is indeed a 4-letter word 'round here. Like, buses and schools cancelled type snow. Temperatures have now warmed up above 0 and we're expecting our normal schedule of rain, so it will all be slush before long.

• Love 5

It is always fun to see the BC folks getting snow. We do laugh. But it is with good will. I did see some tweets from Chilliwack that showed the ice sheets from the freezing rain. Tough for everyone. The extreme cold warning has been lifted here and hopefully the temps will go to the plus side next week. The cold has been brutal and a houseguest that does not want to leave.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, RunningMarket said:

! I'm on Vancouver Island, where we currently have SNOW - which is indeed a 4-letter word 'round here.

Not for my nephew. He's been so excited to go tobogganing every day.

My brother, not so much.

• Love 3