Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Hourglass Sandbox

• Start Topic

2. Purpose

Almost the entire cast is wandering around without a purpose but for now I’m going to focus on Marlena (Deidre Hall), Will (Guy Wilson), Hope (Kristian Alfonso), Lucas (Bryan Dattilo), Eric (Greg Vaughn), Adrienne (Judi Evans) and JJ (Casey Moss). Marlena has to be more than the town’s go to shrink. I’m not saying she has to drive the main story, but she can be integrated more. If Days is going to insist that Will is a journalist, have him go work for Titan Media under Phillip. Then throw in Jennifer as editor. She could want him to do hard new stories while he is more interested in writing salacious stories. That would create conflict between Will and Jennifer which could include the whole Horton family. Hope should be a bad ass cop. With Peter Blake back in charge of the shady dealing of DiMera Enterprises, have Hope start investigating him. I already mentioned if the show wanted to keep Ben, he could be the face of Countess Wilhelmina. Put Lucas in charge, give him an actual power base. Eric could be the go to freelance photographer mixing it up with both companies. It’s time to forget about the priesthood, move on. It’s over, done with, bye Felicia. It’s also time to give Vaughan something else to play besides angst. Days seems to forget Adrianne has more children besides Sonny (Freddie Smith), it’s time for her to get a life of her own again and stop babying him. She is a rape victim. I would move her into the hospital scene as a counselor, Anne Milbauer (Meredith Scott Lynn) needs someone else to spar with besides Jennifer and Daniel (Shawn Christian). Finally Jack “JJ” Deveraux Jr. Why isn’t he somewhere getting himself into trouble? And I’m not talking destroying Horton Square. He should go work as Eric’s assistant, hitting on models and living up to his namesake.

I don't agree with the author wanting to expand Abby's role and I barely remember Peter Blake other than a few scenes with Kristen (I think we were mostly watching Sesame Street around that time) but the above has some interesting possibilities to tie everything together.  Thanks, LP!

ETA

Build a romance between Lucas and Adrienne, with Justin (Wally Kurth) gone, Adrienne starts to lean on Lucas more and more. Will and Sonny while having marriage trouble will also have to deal with their parents dating. It could also put Victor (John Aniston) and Kate (Lauren Koslow) back at odds. Victor is upset his nephew’s wife is cheating with Kate’s son, throw Phillip in the middle of his parent’s latest conflict.

First of all Lucas/Adrienne yuck but this is kind of weird because while I would love to see more Kate/Vic interaction if the author wants Phillip to take over the business I doubt Kate would want to stay as Chad's mentor.  But maybe that would lead to Kate/Vic sparring getting hot and they could reunite and she could light a little bit of fire under him.  Naggie must have  stopped fspiking his food with ground up Premarin lately or he's built up a tolerance so she should just go hit the bottle already and head off to a meeting never to return. 

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 3

I agree with some of this but !!vehemently!!! disagree with a lot of it, such as expanding Abby's role and ditching KdP and DG.  I like Aiden (with and without Hope) and think Eve has potential.  They need to get her away from JJ, ship Paige off to Stanford, and give her a job.  KdP and Ted King have great chemistry, so if they actually would cast him as Peter Blake then he and Eve could mix it up as the town gray and black hats.

Also, this:

Greg Meng is doing a great job as executive producer but I feel like he needs someone in the kin of Frank Valentini of General Hospital to assist him, in the sense of someone who can create and work on a limited budget.

is a bit of bullshit.  General Hospital looks incredibly cheap right now and the stories are a mess.  Frank V. is as much to blame for it as Ron C. (the head writer). No one should follow FV's lead.  ETA:  Although maybe the author is saying the same thing but in a nice way, with the "kin of" and "in the sense" qualifiers?

True O'Brien got one, too. 

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Love 2

Peggy McCay is pre-nominated for Leading Actress.  Why?

Daniel Cosgrove is the only Days actor pre-nommed for Leading Actor.

Blake Berris and Eric Martsolf are pre-nommed for Supporting Actor.

Camila Banus (as well as the mentioned True O'Brien) is pre-nommed for Younger Actress

Surprisingly, Conor Kalopsis (Chase) is pre-nommed for Younger Actor.  I was just thinking the other day that he has been doing a really good job, though he *really* needs some sun.

Casey Moss and Freddie Smith are also pre-nommed for Younger Actor

As well as Terrell Ransom, Jr (Theo).  Why?

• Love 4

Was it Days or Peggy's choice to submit as lead actress?  I wonder if the show didn't want any competition from another Days actress against Alison Sweeny.

It should have been Eric Martsolf as lead actor and Daniel Cosgrove as supporting actor based on screen time.  I actually hope this is a sign that DC will become lead actor now.  I love the character of Aiden and his romance with Hope. And I think he's the most talented actor on the show now.  I know EM won the Emmy last year but I'm pulling for Blake to win this year.

Seems strange to see Freddie Smith in the same category as Casey Moss and Conor Kalopsis and Terrell Ransom Jr. Freddie is an adult.  I actually think the kids should be in their own separate category.

• Love 4

Seems strange to see Freddie Smith in the same category as Casey Moss and Conor Kalopsis and Terrell Ransom Jr. Freddie is an adult.  I actually think the kids should be in their own separate category.

Yeah, I agree. How can they really compare acting with such a range of ages in that category. Strange.

• Love 1
Surprisingly, Conor Kalopsis (Chase) is pre-nommed for Younger Actor.  I was just thinking the other day that he has been doing a really good job, though he *really* needs some sun.

Glad to read this!  Conor really is very good, as is Lauren Boles.

• Love 1

About Peggy McCay I wonder if it had something to do with the great speech she gave at the WilSon wedding.  But Theo?  They didn't even use that actor when Chase had a little friend with whom he got into trouble talking about money.  I assumed it was Theo but it wasn't.  And Abe should be the kid's grandpa.

There will be a fan event in Atlanta on April 11 at the Westin Atlanta Airport. Scheduled to appear are Galen Gering, Daniel Cosgrove, Kassie DePaiva, Jen Lilley, Eric Martsolf, Patsy Pease, and Guy Wilson.  The event consists of a meet and greet from 12:45-1:30, a lunch from 3:30 - 5 PM, a Q&A from 5-5;30 and cocktails from 7:30 - 11 PM.

Freddie, Christopher and Guy are going to have a meet and greet at the Sportsmen's Lodge in Studio City on May 2.

It's interesting that they set up an entire website for the event, Hang With the Guys:

http://hangwiththeguys.com/

It's an all day affair, starting with breakfast (25 people only) and ending with dinner (FIVE people only!)

Apparently the two little girls who play Arianna will be there for part of the day.

Edited by Rick Kitchen

From SOD:

A DAYS spokesperson confirms that Lisa de Cazotte is out as co-executive producer and Director/Producer Albert Alarr has been tapped to take her place. Additionally, Janet Spellman-Rider has been upped to producer. The changes come on the heels of the appointment of Josh Griffith and Dena Higley as the soap's new head writers

• Love 1

What is going on behind the scenes.

I suspect one last ditch effort is being made to save the show. But I really don't think it matters; I think nbc wants out of the soap game.

Hope you had a great day off!

I make stuff and sell in person at arts & crafts shows and online.  I'm a terrible self-promoter and stumble along hoping people will buy from me.  It is nowhere near as stressful as a retail job.  You must have the patience of Job to do it, tribeca.

For fun, I read, garden (and regret not getting a degree in landscape architecture), and haunt the local thrift shops and antique malls. 

How about you, tribeca?  What do you do for fun and personal fulfillment?

What about everyone else?

• Love 2

I'm 60 days late on my mortgage having lost a crummy retail job I didn't totally hate but in my mid 50's the lifting is just too much.  I love the snot out of my cat. We take turns sneezing on each other,  She's what they call a tuxedo cat and all my pictures are too big for the requirements here. I hope I can get the words to ask my son to pay this month's internet to keep in touch with you all.  I avoid putting my college degrees on applications these days or they think what is wrong with you that you want to work here.

• Love 2

Ain't that the sad truth?

I had a customer condescendingly tell me how SHE had a college degree and I should respect that, that SHE EDUCATED herself. I realize I work a trade which requires no high school graduation but actually have degrees from one of the best universities in the US. She's just showing how out of touch she is- there's people with masters degrees managing Starbucks and bachelors working checkout at Whole Foods. Also what the hell does having an education have to do with her attempting to borrow my nail clippers without askin? That are my property and use to do my job?

• Love 3

Hugs to you QuelleC.  Wish I had some words to make you feel better and hope that you find work soon.  It is stressful and demoralizing, I know.  We have a small colony of cats here and they give me more comfort and joy than anyone or anything else on the planet. 

Your customer sounds like a complete asshole, Petunia13.  Education snobs are the worst with their presumptions and entitlement.  Plenty of people work a trade and have a degree, and it's nothing to be ashamed of.  Education should be an end unto itself but unfortunately is often used as a gatekeeper ... and apparently as an excuse for poor manners.  There are a lot of jerks out there.

• Love 3

That sucks, QuelleC. My husband and I started a business (record store) 7 years ago, but we both still work "real" jobs. Well, his is real, mine is part time at a grocery store! When I started looking for work again, I realized that I had to downplay my experience and leave off my degree, too. This year, we hope that my husband can quit his job and work at our store full time and I may or may not look for something better then. I wish you luck!
(and cats do make everything better!)

• Love 2