Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Hourglass Sandbox

• Start Topic

I’m still a few weeks behind but I am enjoying the stories right now—Nicole and Sloane baby thing, the return of Abe, Gwen and Dimitri, etc.—because I find DOOL to be my respite from all the stress and nonsense going on, topped off by the almost daily rain sometimes torrential (and sorry to those who need rain, I’d happily ship some off to you if I could). And I just want to add that Nicole is looking quite sharp these days both hair and wardrobe. 

• Like 6

Is anyone having issues with this website on their iPhone? I’ve tried using Safari. I’ve tried using Google chrome nothing changes. It is slow-ish to load and then after about five or 10 minutes it will give you a message that the page had an error, had to reload etc. etc. it keeps losing your place. Lots of pop up ads that you have to click off . Lots of blank, white spaces when you’re scrolling through the page ..this started happening after the last prime timer update. This isn’t happening on my iPad. Just the iPhone. Thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I know he never appeared on Days, but some shocking news: Billy Miller, best known as one of the many actors to play Billy Abbott on Y&R and who was briefly recast Jason Morgan on GH before being retconned to Jason's unknown twin, Drew Cain [now played by Cameron Matheson] on GH has died at only 43.

This news ironically broke today on what would have been his 44th birthday. (09/17/2023)

God, what a horrible year in terms of losing soap actors. And GH has been through the wringer!

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 3
  • Love 1

So, 2023 "Day Of Days" happens in two weeks (October 21).  Anyone going? I'm going again this year.  Can't wait to see Deidre and Drake again and this year hopefully meet Abigail Klein (Stephanie Johnson) as well as some of the other actors that weren't there last year.

Here's a list of the talent expected to appear so far (I hope this works):

Abigail Klein – Stephanie Johnson

Billy Flynn – Chad Dimera

Brandon Barash – Stephan Dimera

Bryan Dattilo -Lucas Horton

Carson Boatman – Johnny Dimera

Dan Feuerruegel – EJ Dimera

Drake Hogestyn – John Black

Deidre Hall – Marlena Black

Elia Cantu - Det. Jada Hunter

Emily O'Brien - Gwen Rizchek/Theresa Donovan

Eric Martsolf - Brady Black

Galen Gering - Police Commissioner Rafe Hernendez

Jackee Harry - Mayor Paulina Price Carver

James Reynolds - Abe Carver

Linsey Godfrey - Dr Sarah Horton

Lucas Adams – Dr Tripp Johnson

Paul Telfer – Xander Cook Kiriakas

Peter Porte - Dimitri Von Leuschner

Raven Bowens - Chanel Dupree

Remington Hoffman - Li Shin

Robert Scott Wilson - Alex Kiriakas/Ben Weston

Stacey Haiduk - Kristen Dimera

Stephen Nichols – Stephen “Patch” Johnson

Tamara Braun – Ava Vitali

Victoria Grace - Wendy Shin

Wally Kurth – Justin Kiriakas

Greg Rikaart - Leo Stark

This is an email I got from Peacock regarding Day Of Days:

Hi Days fans! The hourglass is running out of time, so that means that Day of Days 2023 is almost here! Peacock and the cast of Days of our Lives are looking forward to seeing you in just TWO weeks on Saturday, October 21st at Peacock Place at L.A. LIVE. Doors will open at 10 am. Until then, don’t forget you can watch the latest episodes of Days of our Lives on Peacock.

Peacock Place Address: 800 W Olympic Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90015

Link to the signup page (just so they'd have an idea of how many fans to expect and NOT limiting capacity)https://checkout.eventcreate.com/peacock-day-of-days/register-details?oid=fcf7b654-bb41-4449-8cb1-3e3b7eb807b0&fbclid=IwAR3xgnBO59nh9Im97XnTnx5JBplnLi-ErkOqjU9TseHVmQIZP-oshBo5TSk

Edited by JarlenaFan2023
added something and can't spell/type
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Have a great time! Be sure to talk with Paul Telfer - I'm curious how he feels about Xander's current situation and overall arc. He's really come a long way on the show.

He did a lengthy recent interview where he mentioned how excited he was about his upcoming story. Called Victor his "uncle father" at one point

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'll be happy to just get to visit with Deidre and Drake.  Might be unpopular opinion, but they're the reason I watch the show. Been hooked ever since John and Marlena's affair in 1993.  After seeing last year's preview I was afraid NBC/Days was gonna shoot themselves in the foot "killing" Marlena (didn't happen).

• Like 1

I'm currently binging the Neighbours reboot on Amazon Freevee. Kind of a slow deal but I kind of expected it to be much more lowkey than a US soap. It's kind of amazing to me just how much better productions values are for Australian soaps compared to what you see on the remnants of US soaps.

12 hours ago, JarlenaFan2023 said:

I'll be happy to just get to visit with Deidre and Drake.  Might be unpopular opinion, but they're the reason I watch the show. Been hooked ever since John and Marlena's affair in 1993.  After seeing last year's preview I was afraid NBC/Days was gonna shoot themselves in the foot "killing" Marlena (didn't happen).

It's sad Ron can't write more than lame demon possessions and fake deaths for Marlena because Deidre is still a big draw for most of the audience. And her interviews gets press attention.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
On 10/9/2023 at 1:18 PM, DisneyBoy said:

It's sad Ron can't write more than lame demon possessions and fake deaths for Marlena because Deidre is still a big draw for most of the audience. And her interviews gets press attention.

I'm surprised he hasn't given her a love story with a serial killer. Oh, wait..

• LOL 4
On 10/8/2023 at 12:14 PM, DisneyBoy said:

Have a great time! Be sure to talk with Paul Telfer - I'm curious how he feels about Xander's current situation and overall arc. He's really come a long way on the show.

Didn't get to chat with Paul but met Greg R and Peter P (Leo & Dimitri).  They were at the same table with Deidre and Drake (I didn't get photos because my phone overheated).

• Like 1

I didn’t know where to put this. Hope it’s ok. I have an iPhone XR, IOS 17.1.1.
I haven’t been able to use this site on the phone for months. Haven’t found any (actually helpful) tech help available on here. It loads slow, it’s glitchy, it cuts out, it re loads. It is useless. I’ve tried Safari, Google, Google Chrome & Duck Duck Go to access. All the same.

Does anyone else have this issue? It’s just this site on the phone. Works well on iPad.
seems this site has gotten really bad technically and also as far as trying to find things ..why are there forums  hidden in other forums ?
takes me 10 minutes to find movies or other specific things I’m looking for

it’s so frustrating.. just have everything out there.. when you search it doesn’t come up. The pop-up ads and videos the disgusting ads

There’s a bugs question and suggestions for him on technical issues but you can’t post anything it’s closed.. WTH!

It used to be so much better years ago.

Thanks. 

Edited by chediavolo
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Must be an Apple problem. Maybe I will call .

It's happening to me ALL the time and I'm on my computer, using Chrome.  The site is practically unusable.  

• Useful 1
On 11/14/2023 at 4:25 PM, boes said:

It's happening to me ALL the time and I'm on my computer, using Chrome.  The site is practically unusable.  

Oh no. Why aren’t they fixing these problems? I guess you don’t know the answer but I just need to gripe. 😊. I can’t even look at it on my phone anymore.

18 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Heads up: For any site issue bugs, this is the thread to post in. That way, those in charge will be made aware:

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/93639-bugs-questions-suggestions-information/?do=getNewComment

Can’t. Like I said, before, you cannot post anything .This is what it says on the bottom of the thread:

“ !This topic is now closed to further replies.“

since so many people are having issues with this site, they must know about the problem (s)

Edited by chediavolo
  • Like 2

Its that time of year again, folks, and I find myself particularly grateful for this community of viewers who can take this zany show to task without losing any love for it. If only all relationships could be as loyal. And entertaining!

Happy Holidays fellow Salemites.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 5
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Its that time of year again, folks, and I find myself particularly grateful for this community of viewers who can take this zany show to task without losing any love for it. If only all relationships could be as loyal. And entertaining!

Happy Holidays fellow Salemites.

What I appreciate is that even if we disagree posters are always kind and respectful.  And while we can criticize styling choices (clothes, hair, make-up, etc.) there isn't any real meanness about the actor's physical appearance.

Thanks to all for all the genuinely insightful commentary.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 4
  • Love 2

As DisneyBoy, DaphneCat and WendyCR72 all have said above, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all you wonderful posters who make this show so much better to watch with all of your humor, wit, perception and obvious love and appreciation of this show and genre.  This board is a daily must for me, because of all of you.

• Love 7

Happy New Year one and all.

I just wanted to say again how much I enjoy checking in with you guys every few days and sharing in our love of and annoyance with this show. It feels like message boards like these are starting to disappear and become extinct, and it got me wondering, with DAYS seemingly always hanging by a thread...how much more time we have together, and how much it'll hurt once the show goes off the air to lose this place and the wonderful dynamics we've created over the years.

A downer of a subject, I know, but I guess I'm trying to prepare myself for the void I'll feel when we don't have this board anymore or the excuse of the show to unite us. Does anyone else think about this too sometimes? Anyone else dealt with a special online forum closing or a show ending and the feeling of loss when the fandom disperses?

The online world has changed so much, it's not like message boards like these are a dime a dozen anymore. People have migrated to other platforms, and I just like this one, honestly. Simple. Basic. Classic.

...you know what? I still miss TWOP and all the hilarious and insightful conversations we once had. Can't believe that was 20 years ago now. That place was hopping. New episodes of Days and Smallville would get dozens of comments and pages of analysis as soon as they aired.

This place is almost like a mini-TWOP, carrying on the legacy of snark and sincerity that made that site so special. I'm grateful to everyone who brings their passion and politeness here. I guess that sounds drippy to say, but who cares, I'll say it. I've seen boards disappear and felt the absence afterwards. This place is special. I don't want to pretend it'll go on forever, so I guess I thought I'd bring the subject up now, randomly, so we can discuss it a bit. And maybe it won't hurt so much later when it finally comes to pass.

Wow, that sounds soapy as hell, doesn't it? Salem is rubbing off on me.

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

Wow, that sounds soapy as hell, doesn't it?

Not at all. I felt the same way when (the original) Prodigy died. TPTB tried to revive the feeling with PI (*P Internet), but it simply was not the same.

• Like 2

This is random, but I really need a place to vent, if you guys are open to it.

I am so, so very tired of rude customer service people who answer phones.

And by "answer", I mean talk over you, hang up on you, transfer you to the wrong department, repeat "can I help you? Can I help you??" like a parrot, even though you've asked your question and they just seem to not like the question or something...

...I swear, I pick up the phone now to try and call the bank, a clinic, a hospital, a government office, whatever, knowing I'll be treated like garbage and have my time wasted. I start off bracing myself for it, trying to stay calm and keep my head cool no matter how they speak to me, and I still end up getting off the phone no less than an hour later (always, no exceptions) having wasted my time and learned nothing, forced to call back again another day.

The few polite and pleasant people I happen to come across are usually the ones with the least knowledge of whatever they're talking about, and give me incorrect information that I only end up hearing about later. There's just no way to win.

I have never answered a phone while on the job thinking "Haha! I get to screw this person over and turn anything they say or ask into a fight!!! Muahahahaha!" I try to treat people with respect and understand them and help them.

People who answer phones hold a lot of power over us because they're the middlemen (and women). And they know it. And they seem now, more than ever, to use that power to be passive aggressive or outright aggressive towards us poor fools who dare to call them up.

It's.....beyond exhausting and frustrating. It feels like abuse. There's no accountability. If they hate their jobs, fine, I get it, but quit and do something that doesn't involve dealing with people. You're making life miserable for the rest of us.

...uuuuuuuuugggggghhhh.

(back on hold, waiting to see if the next person will accidentally disconnect me)

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3
  • Applause 4
3 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

(back on hold, waiting to see if the next person will accidentally disconnect me)

But think of all that GREAT hold music you get to listen to!

I REALLY think bad customer service is built in, just to discourage you from calling.  My complaint is that you have to go through the stupid phone tree (and please listen carefully as our menu options have changed - even though the person who recorded that message retired 6 years ago) and wait on hold several minutes before you find out you're not talking to the right person and they need to transfer you to another department where you sit on hold AGAIN before someone who doesn't understand your question answers.  You may or may not get put on hold again but you'll definitely need to explain your problem at least 3 times.

Last year I had to call the IRS to resolve a refund we were due for the 2020 tax year.  (Yup, 2 years after I filed the return I was still waiting.)  I ended up starting the conversation by apologizing that I KNEW I was talking to the wrong person but the ONLY options on the phone tree were to resolve issues where you owed them money - there WERE no other options!  The person rather lamely said that they had heard that the phone tree was confusing - admitting without actually admitting that I was right.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 3
  • Applause 1

Let's face it, there is no REAL customer service anymore. At least not how it used to be...how we all remember it. The worst (for me) is DirecTV. You go round and round asking the same question 37 different ways, only to be told your call needs to be escalated. Invariably, you will be on the phone with them no less than one hour! Even for a simple change in programming! And now matter who you talk to, it's always "can I put you a brief hold?" Their 'brief' is 5-10 minutes, depending on how much they want to aggravate you. Then they come back on and say they have to read these disclaimers and a bunch of other bullshit. And if you don't listen (because you have to say 'I agree' at the end), your inquiry will not process and you've wasted another day. So maddening.

And since we're griping, now we have to deal with similar bullshit in the medical field. So you want to make an appt with your oral surgeon? Not so easy. First you must go for a "consultation". Ok fine. I agree, now can we make an appt? No, because first you have to make an appt with his/her "scheduler". Ugh, another day wasted. So you go...only to find out that "scheduler" is just an term for "finance person". Because this person will not even give you an appt for surgery until you pay your entire portion and then some. It used to be where you'd pay a deductible and/or co-pay, and they'd submit to insurance. Once they got paid by insurance, then they'd bill you for the rest. Now they want 50% of the entire fee upfront (not even the repriced version!), and if insurance pays more, you have no choice but to wait 2-3 months before they'll even consider reimbursing you.  

• Fire 1
  • Applause 4

You all are singing my song.  I lost a parent last year and so we want to cancel something they subscribed to.  The company told us that they could do it and that they'd send us what we needed--but they only ever send part of what we need.  And we've tried multiple times.  Each time it's "we're so sorry, we'll get right on that" only to end up in the same situation.

I keep saying that it's worse than planning the funeral. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 5
  • Love 1

I'm an escalation rep in customer service.  I've been called the c word because I wouldn't break the rules by refunding an overdraft fee to someone who so badly abused their checking account it's a miracle they still have one.  We don't give out our last names because customers stalk us on Facebook and one figured out where one of us lived and that did not go well.   There's no reason for us to be rude, but plenty for us to be tired because we are treated like dirt when we are trying to balance both good service and conforming to a myriad of regulations on our industry.  Phone systems can be tricky, there can be a second delay so you do end up talking over someone because you were already talking before you hear them.  At my job, most people are trying.  But the junior people are not trained by doing they are trained by slides so it at best takes a while to know anything.  I'm really sorry that you're having a tough time, but there is a flip side.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
17 minutes ago, oceanblue said:

I'm an escalation rep in customer service.

Oh I have no doubt.  I've been in customer service too.  And sometimes "bad customer service" isn't about the rep but the general company philosophy by not allowing things to happen or understaffing call centers.

But I don't think my experience is because of rude customers.  I wasn't rude.

That's why it's so frustrating.  If the reps just told me "we can't do that" but none of them have.  They all say they can and then they don't.  Even managers.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, oceanblue said:

I'm an escalation rep in customer service.

Yes, it isn't like the customer service reps intentionally set up the phone tree to be frustrating, and when I actually got to talked to a real person at the IRS they were very polite and helpful.  It's just by the time you finally get to someone who has the authority to solve your problem, you feel like you've been given the run around so many times that you're ready to scream.  Mr. Cat and I actually had to go see a taxpayer advocate to get any kind of movement at all.  Yes, it eventually got resolved and yes, we were extremely lucky that we weren't desperate for the money but the hoops we jumped through were pretty intense.  I kept thinking that if we HAD been desperate for the money how awful it would have been.

• Sad 1
  • Applause 2

Hey Ocean! I don't doubt for a second that every word you speak is true. I often expect that the people I deal with over the phone just got off the line with someone truly awful, so I try to extra pleasant/upbeat, thank them for their time, make sure they can hear me and that I'm being clear in what I'm asking, etc. I've done phone work too, and since folks can't see your face, you really have to use your voice to come across as "pleasant".

...but for real, the majority of these people just turn on you no matter what you do. The nice ones unintentionally misdirect or misinform you, while the rest just talk over you, tell you your question has been answered, and really try to dominate you.

I mean, the number of times they get aggressive about "validation" when it's a question about my personal account...it's nuts. They seriously just start barking orders at you: "Tell me the amount of your last deposit and the date!" God help you if you don't remember every minute detail they're asking about. They'll say you've been frozen out - even if you know your name, birthdate, mailing address, secret phone password, what kind of account it is, when you opened it, etc, etc, etc - and then just hang up on you with a kind of glee about them. It's bizarre.

Or you'll get the following, after failing their test: "Well, if YOU don't remember YOUR personal information, that's not MY problem! And now you'll be LOCKED OUT of the account for YOUR OWN SAFETY for 72 hours. Is there anything ELSE I can help you with? I think your question has been ANSWERED. THANK YOU!"

^^^ almost verbatim quotes from conversations I've had.

There's no reasoning with these people. Yes, fine, sometimes there's a protocol to follow...but we're all human beings. And sometimes you have to use logic. Nobody remembers every deposit or withdrawal made in their account with computer accuracy. Quit punishing people who are who they say they are.

17 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

It's just by the time you finally get to someone who has the authority to solve your problem, you feel like you've been given the run around so many times that you're ready to scream.

THIS too. Listening to all the endless "press 2" prompts - made only worse in a post-covid world, where they tack-on an extra speech about hospital protocols or clinic protocols, as if none of us could have guessed that hand-washing is necessary or whatever - just drains the soul. No matter how nice someone is, getting to that person after 15 minutes of needless hell is just going to wreck you.

And then, there's guessing how much time you need to resolve your issue. You can call a place up with 20 minutes before they close and STILL not have enough time to get through to the right person. In 20 minutes!

True story: I called a pharmacy this week 30 minutes before they closed to ask about an alternative to a prescription and spent....3 minutes just figuring out which buttons to press (no, I'm not 80 years old), 3 minutes on hold, 5 minutes validating who I was and explaining what I needed to a clerk who then put me on hold to "ask the pharmacist"...which really meant (you guessed it) disconnecting me after leaving me on hold for 10 minutes. Then I called them back, spent 2 minutes pressing buttons, 3 minutes on hold again, then got a different clerk who put me on hold for the pharmacist, who after 4 minutes came on the phone line, listened to my issue (which the first clerk had told them nothing about apparently), only to be told "we're closing right now, can you please call back tomorrow?"

*PRIMAL SCREAM*

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
5 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

And then, there's guessing how much time you need to resolve your issue. You can call a place up with 20 minutes before they close and STILL not have enough time to get through to the right person. In 20 minutes!

Another true story that JUST happened today.  Yesterday a delivery truck was higher than they thought and it got caught on a wire over my driveway and damaged it quite severely.  I was 95% sure it wasn't electrical but called the electric company anyway just to  be sure.  They sent a technician who confirmed that it indeed wasn't electrical/dangerous and confirmed that it was probably a cable wire.  Since I have Verizon for my internet, I kind of made the assumption it might be Comcast.  I tried to do the right thing and call them to let them know that if people were complaining about an outage it was probably because of the wire at my house.  I literally had to find a website called something like "Talk to a Human" to even get past the phone tree and actually be able to talk to someone.  The very nice person in India assured me a technician would call back for more information.  I'm guessing they never will.  I didn't even want anything from them as still couldn't talk to someone!

• Mind Blown 2
58 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

I literally had to find a website called something like "Talk to a Human" to even get past the phone tree and actually be able to talk to someone. 

Oh my gosh, I've done the exact same thing! God bless that website. Isn't that pathetic, though? Needing to seek out some random website just to get the cheat codes for speaking to a person? 😆 Heaven forbid a company actually *GET* that some issues can't easily fall into a predictable category and therefore require the intervention of a human being's nuanced mind.

...and yes, the very nice person in India was indeed wrong and no one will be calling you back. But hey - you tried!

• Applause 3

I hear you and I don't dispute the frustration as I've screamed at IVR systems that seem to actively repel you from speaking to a human.  But as far as verification - if they don't follow protocol they get fired.  And we're being bombarded with calls from fraudsters who ARE trying to steal your identity and your money.  Honestly, it's hard to tell the difference.  

• Like 2
15 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

... where they tack-on an extra speech about hospital protocols or clinic protocols, as if none of us could have guessed that hand-washing is necessary or whatever ...

I mean, many people still don't seem to understand basic hygiene so!

• Like 1
  • LOL 2