Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Hourglass Sandbox

• Start Topic

I will miss a couple of eps this week. I am going to Vancouver for a couple of days starting Thursday. Off to see a couple of Brit bands that are barely played on North American radio, don’t tour North America very often and not many people have heard of - the Manic Street Preachers (Manics) and Suede.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

I will miss a couple of eps this week. I am going to Vancouver for a couple of days starting Thursday. Off to see a couple of Brit bands that are barely played on North American radio, don’t tour North America very often and not many people have heard of - the Manic Street Preachers (Manics) and Suede.

Have a great time!! We'll miss you.

• Love 1

Did anyone here get to go to "Day Of Days" last weekend in Los Angeles? I'm ready to do it again!!!!!

On 10/27/2022 at 3:30 AM, DisneyBoy said:

It IS exciting, though I worry about the safety of the cast, who are vulnerable and need to stay healthy.

Would be great to go. I hope you have a wonderful time!

Beyond wonderful! Got to meet Deidre and Drake so my mission was accomplished.  Talked to them both during the regular autograph signing then got to speak to Drake again at the end (after the Q&A session).  Hahaha someone thought I was KISSING Drake when he leaned down really close to me because he can't hear (he has a hearing loss due to an injury).

Martha Madison and Brandon Beemer were also at their table but I was too distracted after talking to Dee and Drake and bypassed them.

20221112_124407.jpg

DeeandDrake.jpg

Edited by JarlenaFan2022
added something
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Is Deidre slowly fazing in white hair? She looks terrific. 

11 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

She seemed like she was doing that several months ago too but then she dyed it again. I like the white.

I think the lighting in the 2nd pic makes her hair look more grey.  I took the first photo (where they're looking down) and the 2nd one was when I was talking to them (one of the security people took the photo and I cropped me out because I looked horrible!!!!). 

Not sure if you guys have seen this, but Deidre does these videos called "A Kitchen Minute" where she answers fan questions.  It started out where she'd do one question per video in under a minute and evolved to several questions in each video when she brought back the "Kitchen Minute" segments a few weeks ago,  The link below is ALL the "Kitchen Minute" videos Deidre's done ending with the 3 newest ones. 

Edited by JarlenaFan2022
added something and can't spell/type
  • Useful 2

My first week back after having Covid was terrible.  The Covid fatigue is real.  
   The first companion client I went to visit  was  it answering the door.  The last time I was there she had been falling a lot.    Called the office they tried reaching out to her.  The police came to do a wellness check.  We found her dead on the kitchen floor.  The police said I did not have to stay in the room since they knew it was upsetting.  Since I was out with Covid the agency and Elderly complex had no one check on her.  The officer said she had been dead for a while. 
I did not work the rest of that day.  The next day I worked a double and almost fell over and walking to my car.  

Edited by tribeca
  • Hugs 7
  • Sad 3
2 hours ago, tribeca said:

The first companion client I went to visit  was  it answering the door.  The last time I was there she had been falling a lot.    Called the office they tried reaching out to her.  The police came to do a wellness check.  We found her dead on the kitchen floor.  The police said I did not have to stay in the room since they knew it was upsetting.  Since I was out with Covid the agency and Elderly complex had no one check on her.  The officer said she had been dead for a while. 
I did not work the rest of that day.  The next day I worked a double and almost fell over and walking to my car.  

It's just awful what you've had to go through, both with your job and how terrible you're feeling.  I'm so sorry you've had to face such a horrific discovery, and while you yourself are feeling so exhausted.

I can't imagine.......take care of yourself, in whatever way you can.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 4

I would guess it dates back to around 2009ish.

John looked really rough with dyed hair around 2011 and Deidre's face started to look more..."maintained" shall we say 2014ish onwards...here they just look like they're starting to lose their natural youthful appearances.

This was likely around the time Jarlena returned to the series for the Horton Square event, or just before they were fired years earlier. Its definitely not a 90s photo.

• Love 2

Has anyone else been shocked by the price of butter recently? It’s that time of year when we do a lot of baking often with butter. I bought some at Costco a couple of days ago and paid $5 CDN for a pound of unsalted butter. This is quite a bit higher than earlier in the year but still not outrageous. Yesterday I was at a grocery (part of Loblaws) and the price was $11.99 a pound! I stared at the price tag and strained my eyes to make sure I hadn’t misread the price which I was sure was a twofer. Nope. Unbelievable. I suspect more than a few will switch to margarine at this price.

Just my rant for the day.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, FrankOFoley said:

Has anyone else been shocked by the price of butter recently? It’s that time of year when we do a lot of baking often with butter. I bought some at Costco a couple of days ago and paid $5 CDN for a pound of unsalted butter. This is quite a bit higher than earlier in the year but still not outrageous. Yesterday I was at a grocery (part of Loblaws) and the price was $11.99 a pound! I stared at the price tag and strained my eyes to make sure I hadn’t misread the price which I was sure was a twofer. Nope. Unbelievable. I suspect more than a few will switch to margarine at this price.

Just my rant for the day.

It's been that way here in northern California, too.  Everything is so expensive and butter is over the top expensive.  Costco is the cheapest place to get it here.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Cooking oil/canola oil is close to $10 CAD. I used to pay maybe $5 for it.  No Name butter is around $5 at Superstore here. Branded one is over $6. A measly head of romaine is $5.49. The 3 pack is $8 - normally it is $4. Margarine isn’t cheaper unless it goes on sale.  A 175g pack of lunch meat is now $7-8. 9-10 slices of meat. Terrible.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1
On 11/20/2022 at 12:04 PM, tribeca said:

This is beyond awful for you, and for that poor woman. I hope charges are going to be brought up for the agency you work for.  they just left her alone the entire time you were out and no one checked on her? This is horrible 😳

• Love 1

Just want to wish you guys a genuinely pleasant holiday. I know not everyone celebrates, and this time of year can also bring up a lot of painful stuff for folks...but whether you're just hanging out or surrounded by a huge clan, I hope you eat some good food and breathe easy and take a moment to appreciate being alive.

And thanks as always for the conversations around here ;)

• Hugs 3
  • Love 7

Thanks DisneyBoy, I always enjoy reading your thoughts about the show.  Hubby & I are staying close to home to avoid being out in this storm blowing thru, so Everyone Stay Safe, Stay Warm & Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 2

No matter what you all want to do this holiday season (celebrate, ignore, whatever) I hope you get to do exactly that.  If not, I hope you all have a minimum of drama.  (Unless, of course, drama brings you great happiness, then I say I hope you get a lot of it! 🙂)  

Even if I don't always agree with everyone's point of view, I still really enjoy reading it - especially since everyone is generally really thoughtful and kind.

• Like 3
  • Love 4

I'm glad this show has been renewed until it's 60th anniversary, but it got me thinking about the end and how emotional that will ultimately be for some of us.

So here's my non-DAYS-specific question: What "endings" have made you the most emotional? Whether the end of a film franchise or TV series or book or comic series or video game, or maybe a stage show or musical ending for good, or the closing of a theme park or retirement of a talk show host you watched weekly or daily...any of the above.

I can honestly say I was wrecked by the end of Another World in 1999. After a rough (but compared to DOOL these days, perfectly acceptable) final year, those last few episodes where they resolved plotlines and brought back some familiar faces? Ooof, that was great and hard. It just got itself back into tip-top shape as the curtain was coming down.

Did anyone else watch those last days? With Frankie's ghost revisiting Cass and wishing him a happy marriage to Lila, and then cradling young Charlie in her arms? Man oh man. So needed and so moving. And Carl turning up alive on the beach, to Rachel's astonishment? And Marley getting released and finding love with her lawyer, Tyrone? And being forgiven? And CINDY being forgiven by Paulina?! Come on...

...dangit, getting misty again. Yeah, I loved that show. Saying goodbye was so hard.

• Hugs 2
10 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I'm glad this show has been renewed until it's 60th anniversary, but it got me thinking about the end and how emotional that will ultimately be for some of us.

So here's my non-DAYS-specific question: What "endings" have made you the most emotional? Whether the end of a film franchise or TV series or book or comic series or video game, or maybe a stage show or musical ending for good, or the closing of a theme park or retirement of a talk show host you watched weekly or daily...any of the above.

I can honestly say I was wrecked by the end of Another World in 1999. After a rough (but compared to DOOL these days, perfectly acceptable) final year, those last few episodes where they resolved plotlines and brought back some familiar faces? Ooof, that was great and hard. It just got itself back into tip-top shape as the curtain was coming down.

Did anyone else watch those last days? With Frankie's ghost revisiting Cass and wishing him a happy marriage to Lila, and then cradling young Charlie in her arms? Man oh man. So needed and so moving. And Carl turning up alive on the beach, to Rachel's astonishment? And Marley getting released and finding love with her lawyer, Tyrone? And being forgiven? And CINDY being forgiven by Paulina?! Come on...

...dangit, getting misty again. Yeah, I loved that show. Saying goodbye was so hard.

I was in tears over the end of "This is Us"...I was so invested in the characters  & could relate to storylines(Like losing a parent when just a kid), I was not ready to lose that connection..I have not found another show that moves me as much...

• Hugs 1

I don't know if this counts, but I was completely devasted when I discovered Wonder Woman 3 was canceled. Granted, I was having an unbearable week, but I still cried when I saw the announcement that the movie wasn't moving forward.

I would say the ending of Major Crimes a spin-off of The Closer outright pissed me off. It was an ending that outright went against the messaging and theming of the show and the spirit of the main character. As an example, imagine if Ron decides to make the final storyline for Days a Salem Stalker redux with Marlena killing the entire cast and Jennifer saying this is exactly what Alice and Tom would have wanted while Bo drank on Shawn's grave declaring himself a Kiriakis. I was outraged for weeks after the ending.

Charmed and XENA also made me really emotional. Although both were rocky quality-wise by the end, I was still sad to say goodbye. I still watch both whenever I need comfort or a metaphorical hug.

Does anyone have an issue with the Peacock app specifically on an iPad? I can never find the current episode if I don’t finish the one from the day before that’s the one that keeps playing and if I go to season 58 and click on the down arrow nothing happens. It takes five minutes to bring up the current episode if I can find it at all. 

3 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Does anyone have an issue with the Peacock app specifically on an iPad? I can never find the current episode if I don’t finish the one from the day before that’s the one that keeps playing and if I go to season 58 and click on the down arrow nothing happens. It takes five minutes to bring up the current episode if I can find it at all. 

I don't use it on an iPad but usually, if it's playing the old episode you can up arrow and go right on the options until you find "Play next episode"

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

Wow.   That's really scary.  Hope everything is OK.

There is a city fire ban. There have been some grass and brush fires. Maybe some rain by the weekend. I think we hit 31c/88F today and broke a temp record. Half the province has one warning or another.

• Hugs 2
  • Love 1

I never come in here, but I had the weirdest DAYS dream last night, and I need to relate it to someone:

Can't remember how it started, but I was with Lucas and some woman (maybe a DAYS character, maybe someone I know IRL, I can't remember), and we somehow got involved with Austin (Austin Peck version) in a 'race' to find Will. Will wasn't missing...we knew where he was, but whoever got to him first got to get custody of him. Lucas, the woman, and I were on one team, and Austin was racing alone. We didn't know where Austin started, but we knew he was out there coming for us. We were all on foot, trying to get to this main road where we would find a car and be on a straight shot to get Will. At three against one, we knew we could outsmart Austin and get to Will first, but we were having trouble getting out of this one valley/parking lot area that was very confusing, and Austin eventually caught up to us and we had to scramble to hide from him so he couldn't see where we were going and follow us. We all marveled at the fact that Austin must be REALLY dumb, because we wasted a LOT of time trying to get out of that lot and he only just then caught up to us. But this Austin wasn't just the clueless, slightly dim version from the show, he was menacing. Definitely in a villain role here, trying to threaten us at every turn, almost like he was stalking us and trying to kill us. The last thing I remember about the dream is the three of us hiding behind some hills and Austin looming over us trying to find us, holding a crossbow. We weren't scared because we knew he couldn't hurt us.

I have no idea why I had this dream. Lucas and Austin fighting for Will hasn't been a thing for years, so the storyline wasn't even anywhere near my conscious. But, for some reason, it was FUN. I woke up and found myself wishing I could go back to sleep and pick the dream up again and continue the chase/hunt. I was really enjoying it, lol.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
3 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

I never come in here, but I had the weirdest DAYS dream last night, and I need to relate it to someone:

Its okay. Just breathe. You're among friends.

Will wasn't missing...we knew where he was, but whoever got to him first got to get custody of him.

Ok, so we're in the 90s. Got it. Was Austin shirtless? Nevermind, keep going...

Lucas, the woman, and I were on one team

You were Team Lucas? Oooòooh. Big mistake. When does he ever win?

At three against one, we knew we could outsmart Austin

That's really quite generous of you to say.

We all marveled at the fact that Austin must be REALLY dumb

Ok, wow, we're really being generous now!

this Austin wasn't just the clueless, slightly dim version from the show, he was menacing. Definitely in a villain role here

This must be the version that almost cheated with Abigail.

almost like he was stalking us and trying to kill us.

Joking aside, I have waaaay too many dreams like this.

The last thing I remember about the dream is the three of us hiding behind some hills and Austin looming over us trying to find us, holding a crossbow. We weren't scared because we knew he couldn't hurt us.

I love that even as this tall (presumably shirtless) giant evil man who has you cornered, you're still like, "naaaaaw, he can't aim for shit. We good!"

it was FUN. I woke up and found myself wishing I could go back to sleep and pick the dream up again and continue the chase/hunt. I was really enjoying it, lol.

Awwww nice! I would have added Susan and Vivian into the mix, just for the chaos of it all! Or hopped into a go-kart.

• LOL 2
6 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

If anyone here has watched GH along with Days, some sad and shocking news: Jaclyn Zeman, who has played Barbara Jean "Bobbie" Spencer since 1977, has passed away.

A tweet says it was a short battle with cancer. 😢

Saw that on Twitter. Someone put a photo of Jackee instead. I assume that the tweet will be deleted at some point? No idea if it was an accident/confusion, or just bad taste.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Saw that on Twitter. Someone put a photo of Jackee instead. I assume that the tweet will be deleted at some point? No idea if it was an accident/confusion, or just bad taste.

Definitely bad taste.  They've been corrected in the comments and they don't seem to care (they've been interacting with people telling them they're wrong.)

• Sad 1
1 minute ago, Irlandesa said:

Definitely bad taste.  They've been corrected in the comments and they don't seem to care (they've been interacting with people telling them they're wrong.)

Go with "don't care". They posted about it more than once, and another time, put up Jackie Gleason's photo. So this person is just being a dick.

• Mind Blown 1

So, I have this oriole that for some reason seems desperate to get in our house.  It's going from window to window tapping on the glass.  It's currently at the window of my sewing area amusing the cat.  

I wonder what causes this.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

So, I have this oriole that for some reason seems desperate to get in our house.  It's going from window to window tapping on the glass.  It's currently at the window of my sewing area amusing the cat.  

I wonder what causes this.

Good question to which I don’t have an answer. Over ten years ago I was visiting my mother in Ohio. Took the dogs to a park and parked my car in the lot under some tall oaks. Of all things to happen, a scarlet tanager swooped down and pecked at the windshield repeatedly so I couldn’t get out of the car. My only guess was that it was reacting to a reflection. He finally let up long enough so I could get out. Very interesting.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Fires are still burning. Hot, dry week ahead.

Are you anywhere near where they were evacuating people?   Must be really tough not knowing what's happening.

• Like 2

One cousin was evacuated about 10 days ago from her town and is staying at her sister’s. Another cousin outside the city (bedroom community) was evacuated for a couple days. Not really hitting this city except for train tracks and dry brush. Fire ban in effect. The Premier finally asked for federal assistance. Next door BC is also starting to burn and setting temp records of 35C/95F - in May!

• Hugs 2
  • Sad 1
7 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Just an FYI that I am kinda missing. Some major life stuff.

Keep us posted if and when you want and can and know we're thinking of you and hoping things turn out for the best.

• Love 6
(edited)

I rewatched the final episode of Another World tonight, just for the heck of it, and as always, ended up deeply moved. It just wrecks me how well they pulled off that finale, and how unfair and abrupt the cancellation was.

The love and effort that was poured into that show really touches me and makes me wish we could turn back the clock a bit. Imagine if DOOL had slightly calmer pacing, character integrity, long-term friendships and family bonds, and a nice variety of sets with good lighting. Scripts with humor that aren't desperate to sound clever or hip or quirky. Simmering plotlines that suit the performers instead of working against them.

Gah, I need to stop or I'll get myself all upset and stuff. I just miss what Another World gave me. No other soap or show has filled that space, and likely ever will.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Imagine if DOOL had slightly calmer pacing, character integrity, long-term friendships and family bonds, and a nice variety of sets with good lighting. Scripts with humor that aren't desperate to sound clever or hip or quirky. Simmering plotlines that suit the performers instead of working against them.

Based on various earlier clips, the show did have that, at least from the 1960s through maybe the late '80s.

The show became a joke upon James Reilly taking the helm. Yes, the possession arc got eyeballs, but it came at the expense of the writing and characterization. It became more of a thing to watch in a car-wreck fashion, not because the writing was any good.

And since Ron seems determined to mimic that, the show is now a joke for eternity. It makes me sad.

• Sad 3
  • Applause 2