Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Just tonight? Also I'm already two episodes behind...

One word: Landshark.

Okay, also Iris's mom is still being played by a truly terrible actress, and they had a bunch of words meant to convince a guy to embrace heroism.  Super-cheesy.

And the landshark wasn't even interested in kittens.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 2

Only caught the 2nd half of the show. But the Landshark was really too much... I just can't with that show sometimes. I will say though the cheesy motivational lines at least felt inspiring. Some of the actors deliver them better than others.

Anyone watched Wicked City tonight?

I found the plot and the acting to be pretty great, and the characters are all interesting, even the minor ones.

I don't know if the show can go beyond, maybe, a handful of seasons without becoming repetitive, but so far it is living up to its promos promise.

Edited by foreverevolving

I usually enjoy Flash, for all its silliness, more than Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., but tonight that was totally reversed. Possibly because Agents restricted itself to one silly moment with some sort of zombie astronaut, while Flash brought in a shark. And the shark that wasn't, as has been noted, playing with kittens. 

• Love 1

I loved last night's AoS. (Difficult to believe it's the same show as in its season 1.)

I thought EH did an amazing acting job.  It was also nice to see Dillon Casey again (he played Sean Pierce on Nikita).

Edited by tv echo

For all the cheese of a land shark, I thought the CGI of it was better and more "realistic" than for if you recall the guy in the season opener that grew. The shape and musculature looked decent. I mean for a walking, talking shark. ;)

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

The Flash annoys me, but I do watch most eps eventually. I tuned in live last night, and I though the episode was not great, but the appearance of the land shark/Barry's face when he saw it/P. Spivot yelling "Put your hands-your fins up!" was A+ in my book.

• Love 1

I don't watch The Flash, but I read responses to the episodes.  I'm laughing at the addition of Patty because...Ray Palmer much?  Not the personality, but the fact that she was inserted to delay the main couple (this was not Ray's only purpose, of course).  Remember how we had to hear all about how Olicity shippers only disliked Ray because he was a roadblock to Felicity/Oliver?  Yeah...petty me is hoping some of those same people who repeated that lovely mantra over and over last season are now irritated like hell by Patty.  Payback's a bitch.

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 1

I'm not irritated by Patty. Well, I find her boring and unneeded, but I hated all of the romance on The Flash so far (well, maybe except Eddie and Iris in the s1 finale, the "Screw destiny" stuff always resonates with me), and she doesn't really have a lot of screen time.

I like Patty, and I think she's less annoying than Ray ship-wise, since Barry and Iris didn't put a stop to anything before she showed up. Iris is still grieving Eddie, and she and Barry are in a good place, and we get scenes of Patty away from Barry.

• Love 3

This is so random, but help me out here.  So ABC had an hour worth of filler, the equivalent of TV click bait, a countdown list of the top country crossover songs.  Watched it on FF in fifteen minutes.  At the end, their number one song was Dolly Parton's "9 to 5"

Which brought up an old trauma of mine. 

Nobody works from 9 to 5. 

It's a 40 hour work week.  Eight hours a day.  So far so good, but then there is lunch.  Did the yea olde good ole days come with lunch included in the paid working hours?  Nothing I've found suggest that's true.  On the east coast the normal work day was 9 to 6.  Here in the Midwest, it's 8 to 5.  If you only have a half hour for lunch, you go home a little early. 

So back to my trauma, how can a song be a super huge world wide hit but based on something that doesn't exist?  Does every time zone just assume it's a quirk that belongs to some other place?   

Seriously, I've spent WAAAAY too much time in my life trying to understand it. 

• Love 2

9 to 5 somehow became a thing to explain the work day. When yes, it's not true, I don't know anyone that works only 9 to 5. Most start much earlier and stay later. Coming in at 9 is late at my job. My work day is from 7:30 - 5. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

9 to 5 somehow became a thing to explain the work day. When yes, it's not true, I don't know anyone that works only 9 to 5. Most start much earlier and stay later. Coming in at 9 is late at my job. My work day is from 7:30 - 5. 

But why!  Why did they ever come up with 9 to 5?  I've been trying to make sense of it ever since I was disillusioned by work hours in my teens when I helped out at my Dad's office on spring break.  Before that I never paid any attention to when mom or dad left for work since I was always gone to school by then ( or sleeping in on breaks)  All I knew about the work day came from this catchy song I'd heard as a kid.   

To be so mislead!!  And by Dolly Parton! 

~Thus ended the age of my innocence. ~

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

I work 12hr shifts with an almost mandatory extra 30 min to payback the company the 30 minutes we took from the them to eat lunch. Ay the joys of professional-exempt status. HR code for we can do whatever we want with your life.

Working 9 to 5 sounds like a dream come true. :)

FYI - Watched the same special. It was good for me for what it was :) Wonder what they will do next year, since it is almost the same exact show & song list as last year.

Edited by kismet

BTW, I watched the Supergirl pilot again and liked it better the second time.  But it's still not going to be must-see TV for me, although it's an enjoyable, lighthearted show. I am thrilled it's doing well in the ratings.

I do still have a problem with Cat Grant's justification for using the term "Supergirl" and not "Superwoman".  It makes no sense to me.  Superman is not called "Superboy" even though he's a man.  Spiderman is not called "Spiderboy" even though Peter Parker (teen) is younger than Kara (24). I guess they had to call the show Supergirl because of the comics, but then they should've just dropped the Cat speech.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I'm watching The Librarians, which returned with their S2 this week.  It's badly written and has so-so acting, but it's enjoyable light fluff - and a nice break from the unrelenting gloom on TWD (which I still watch as well).

Edited by tv echo
Nobody works from 9 to 5. 

It's a 40 hour work week.  Eight hours a day.  So far so good, but then there is lunch.  Did the yea olde good ole days come with lunch included in the paid working hours?

The hotel I worked at was always a 40 hour work week, with the sales office open 9-5 (front desk shifts varied, 7-3, 3-11, 11-7 and then 9-5, 10-6, etc floaters as needed).  We didn't take off for lunch/dinner, but usually ran and grabbed something quick, ate at the desk or in the back if someone was around to cover.  At my current job, the receptionists all work 8 hour shifts, with a quick break for lunch included.  It never occurred to me that it wasn't the norm most places.  Even the place I work at now, the shift is a little longer (I work 8-5), but that's not because I get to take an hour off for lunch, it's just so there's more coverage (I get paid 45 hours).  We get a 30 minute lunch break, included, but most people use that to grab or make lunch and then eat at their desks.

I enjoy The Librarians ok, but I wished I liked it more since it's from the Leverage folks. 

Edited by JenMD

It's so weird to me that people from the First World start their day so early. I hear even most stores are closed before 7? That seems like a nightmare to me. Here, most people start their workdays at 9 or 10 and finish at 6 or 7 (there's usually a 1 hour dinner period). And non-food stores work at least till 8, while supermarkets usually close at 10 or 11 (if they are not 24-hour).

That said, you guys are paid so well compared to us that I'd easily wake up at 5 if I could get the same money :)

Edited by FurryFury

In Australia we have a 38 hour week so in theory 9-5 exist here, if you have a 30 minute lunch. In my company mostly people would work the same times as a 40hr week and either get an acquired day off once a month or have an hour's lunch. (Day off only for manufacturing section of my company, hour lunch for non-manufacturing). 

I watched the first episode of season 1 of the Librarians, and it was super cheesy, but inoffensive. I also checked out Haven and I enjoyed that  more, so I'm binging on that instead of the Librarians.

• Love 1

In America most businesses close at 5 or 6. Stores are open until 9 pm (10 or 11 during Christmas). Sundays are the only days some stores close at 6. Restaurants are open until 10 or 11. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

In Australia we have a 38 hour week so in theory 9-5 exist here, if you have a 30 minute lunch. In my company mostly people would work the same times as a 40hr week and either get an acquired day off once a month or have an hour's lunch. (Day off only for manufacturing section of my company, hour lunch for non-manufacturing).

I watched the first episode of season 1 of the Librarians, and it was super cheesy, but inoffensive. I also checked out Haven and I enjoyed that more, so I'm binging on that instead of the Librarians.

I just learned about Australia's banking time off from some people I met in a tour group. Totally amazing, here in the US you have to accrue every hour of PTO, we're also not allowed (at least in my company) to take more than 2 weeks off at one time. To take 2+ weeks off we need VP approval and a reason (wedding, going to India, etc)

It all depends on the company though--every company I've worked for here in the U.S. has had a different PTO structure. Seems like most of them have a graduated scale where you are awarded days off depending on your years of service. I've had some companies where I've had 2 weeks of PTO available the day I stepped in the door and I've worked for others where you have to accrue as time goes by. My current company allows up to 3 weeks off per year but I know some employers provide even more than that (lucky people).

In Australia we are so far away from everything we tend to take 4/5 weeks when we travel to places like Europe or the USA.

We get 20 day annual leave, but when we shut down for Christmas/New Years your leave is used for non public holidays days. 

We also get long service leave which is essentially 10 weeks of accrued leave after serving 10 years at the same company. It's the best!!

The company I started with last year gave me 2 weeks on the day I started. However for most employees it's 1 week after one year. It then goes up by years of service, 3 weeks after 5 years and 4 weeks after 10 (which is the highest they'll go). 

We only get 6 paid Holidays, New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas. 

My company rolls PTO, sick days, and personal days all into one so we start with a little over three weeks, but nothing rolls over. After 2 years, you jump to 4 weeks and then you get an additional day for every year after that. In addition to that we get 9 paid holidays.

I've also worked for a company that had no policy and you could "take what you want." I felt like this ultimately benefited the company though, as many people barely took any time since there wasn't a precedent for what was acceptable.

We get 10 sick/carers days a year too. We can also roll-over our leave each year so we don't loose anything. (We're spoiled, I didn't realise this until I worked in Japan and started comparing with other staff from overseas affiliates)

It's funny my company is downsizing and some of my friends now have jobs in the US branch and we are trying to work out the leave situation...seems you accrue extra Annual Leave the longer you work and apparently they will count the years of service in Australia, so they won't start with only 2 weeks leave. It's a really big difference for them.

Before downsizing (ah, the joys of working at a print newspaper) I'd been at my previous job for 14 years and so had 5 weeks of combined vacation and sick days but they made it an agony to use anything more than a day or two at a time.  Every time I'd ask for time off it was the same dance of, well you are allowed to take the time off but how are you going to get your work done? There was always one day during the week that was filled with time sensitive duties that had to happen that day or the papers wouldn't be delivered right.  I can't remember ever having off a full work week.   

Anyone heard of the new Amazon show "The Man in the High Castle"?

Here's the description

A glimpse into an alternate history of North America. What life after WWII may have been like if the Nazis had won the war.

It's 1962, America has lost WWII; the east is the Greater Nazi Reich and the west, the Japanese Pacific States. Amidst this oppression there is new hope - films that seem to show a different world. When her sister gives her a film and is then murdered, a woman comes to believe the films hold the key to freedom and becomes obsessed with finding their mysterious guardian, The Man in the High Castle.

It stars Gwen from Angel. It sounds interesting, to see an alternate take with America losing World War II. 

• Love 3

I'm interested in checking out the book of The Man in the High Castle, but I am glad to see Alexa Davalos get more work since Angel is still the only thing I have ever seen her in. 

Emma Caulfield just got herself a guest spot on Supergirl, so that's great. Baffles me that someone never offered her a sitcom after Buffy because her comic timing on that show was impeccable.