Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

This country vs country feud is silly IMO.  Most of the ball players are American just as most of the hockey players are Canadian.  Do they think that taking money from a team's owners makes you less of a person if the team is on the other side?

And a lot are from South America, lol.  Without the Canadian teams we couldn't call it a World Series.  Show some respect.  ;)

Just a few days ago. On ep 4.

So much to look forward to.  :D

As long as it ain't the Sox I don't mind who wins.

Personally I have a soft side for the Chicago teams when it comes to baseball and basketball. So I'll be find if the cubs will win- with that being said I know zero about baseball and US sport in general. Give me proper Football (ie not American football), much more fun to watch.

The Cubs really do deserve to win it after all this time.

And a lot are from South America, lol.  Without the Canadian teams we couldn't call it a World Series.  Show some respect.  ;)

There's a Korean player and an Australian too.

I thought it was named after the New York World newspaper but snopes.com says no.

I hate it when Fox Sports covers baseball on a national (or international, if you wanna call Canada & MLB international) scale because the commentators are not able to separate their partialities from their calling of the game. I get that everyone has their favorites & their allegiances. But when you are covering 9 innings of baseball for a broad audience you should try to be impartial. Local media outlet color commentary can be as partial as they want; but the national broadcast should be as unbiased as possible. I find that American Football & Basketball commentators are better at calling games with less bias, perhaps because there is more action to cover on a minute to minute basis. Baseball commentary has a lot of dead air to cover due to the pacing & nature of the game.

Sidenote - I do find it interesting that so many of the professional Hockey & Baseball are international citizens who just happen to play in America, so it could be World series - but really there are only American or Canadian cities represented - that get to hold the World titles, so not really a World championship.

• Love 2

Ugh, I hate the Fox Sports feed. They're always so biased against one team (why am I shocked, it's effing Fox). I don't get the country vs. country feud either. I'm not supporting the Jays because they beat my beloved Yankees, LOL! As for the Mets, well, in my family you're either with the Amazins or the Bombers, no straddling the fence ;)

Fuck Joe Buck, LOL.

I'm happy for Mets fans but, I'll be honest I'm really hoping for The Cubs to win the WS. It would be just too perfect, given the events in Back to the Future 2.

I am also rooting for The Royals, screw Toronto!

• Love 1

My general order of baseball team preference goes as follows:

1.  Yankees...always Yankees.

2.  Orioles.  I went to college in MD, so a little of the orange and black bled into me.

3.  Cubs.  Come on!  After 106 years, the deserve it.

4-28.  Really don't give a flying fuck.  

29.  Mets.  I do loathe the,  Sorry, not sorry for no NYC loyalty.

30.  Red Sox.  The most heartbreaking moment of my fandom was when the Sox won the Series.  

• Love 1

My general order of baseball team preference goes as follows:

1. Yankees...always Yankees.

2. Orioles. I went to college in MD, so a little of the orange and black bled into me.

3. Cubs. Come on! After 106 years, the deserve it.

4-28. Really don't give a flying fuck.

29. Mets. I do loathe the, Sorry, not sorry for no NYC loyalty.

30. Red Sox. The most heartbreaking moment of my fandom was when the Sox won the Series.

I was at game 6 and game 7 of 2004 ALCS. I was crushed.

I'm a Yankees, Giants, Devils fan but I never took up the hating the other NY/NJ team.

As a Yankees fan I hate The Red Sox and The Angels (want to strangle the Rally Monkey).

As I Giants fan, I hate Dallas, Philly, New England (really an extension of my Red Sox hate) and the Seahawks.

As a Devils fan I hate The Kings and The Mighty Ducks (really hated the jokes about The Pond and The Swamp during the 2003 Stanley Cup Series).

I kind of view The Mets, Jets and Rangers (don't even care about The Islanders) as the little brothers living in Big Brother's shadows.

I don't follow the NBA so I really don't care about either team. Although I'm bitter The Nets left NJ.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Fuck Joe Buck, LOL.

Fuck Joe Buck is the greatest comment here. I can't stand him. Matt Vasgerian might be an overexcited puppy but he calls a fun game. Harold Reynolds used to be good but I dunno what happen to him.

Rox fan myself so I'm with the Jays because Tulo reasons. And the Mets.

Sidenote - I do find it interesting that so many of the professional Hockey & Baseball are international citizens who just happen to play in America, so it could be World series - but really there are only American or Canadian cities represented - that get to hold the World titles, so not really a World championship.

Do you watch the WBC (World Baseball Classic). I love that tournament. It's so much fun.

Edited by catrox14

They've been calling it a "world championship" since the late 1800's, when there weren't very many international players involved. It's just typical AMERICA!!!11!!! to call it a world series, like the winner of the Super Bowl is referred to as the world champion, even though it's only played at an elite level in North America. 

• Love 2

I find this discussion about sports fascinating, especially since in my country there's Soccer Supremacy, and no other sport has as much media coverage or following, except rare exceptions. So basically I have no idea how baseball works, haha.

• Love 1

I find this discussion about sports fascinating, especially since in my country there's Soccer Supremacy, and no other sport has as much media coverage or following, except rare exceptions. So basically I have no idea how baseball works, haha.

As an American, I have no idea how baseball works.

• Love 4

Exactly same. I don't understand either baseball or the US version of football. AT ALL. I do know basketball well, though, and I'm familiar with the NBA teams [go Lakers!], but it's only because I played it all through high school.

• Love 1

As an American, I have no idea how baseball works.

Exactly same. I don't understand either baseball or the US version of football. AT ALL. I do know basketball well, though, and I'm familiar with the NBA teams [go Lakers!], but it's only because I played it all through high school.

It's comforting to know I'm not alone :)

• Love 1

My sports rooting is all about Colorado teams since that is where I grew up.

Tennis is the sport that I played in high school and college for a season but Baseball is my first love. I would have played little League but back in the day:no girls allowed. Softball is fun, but just not quite the same game as baseball because the actual ball changes how you throw and catch and pitch but you take want you can get. It was hard to find girls that wanted to play hardball, so I would play with the neighborhood kids.

My schools didn't have interscholastic softball only intramural club so I switched to tennis so I could play interscholastic. Turned out I was pretty good. I played basketball and volleyball but I was too short to be anything but a point guard or a setter. I played some powder puff and American flag football. Tried playing soccer but I couldn't cope with not using my hands and arms lol

So anyway my rooting interests are

Baseball- Rockies

Football - Broncos

Basketball - Nuggets

Hockey - Avalanche

MLS - Rapids

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

Yeah I get crap living in So Cal for not rooting locally. I do for the Padres except against the Rockies. But I've never understood why I should HAVE to change my loyalty to my team just because I happen to relocate to a new place. My dream is to open a sports bar one day.

• Love 2

I will never understand why professional Soccer/Football has never become accepted here in the US. I love it, I was actually watching the Arsenal game yesterday.

You have no idea how disconcerting was, finding out that there were places where football wasn't as prominent as it is here, haha. It's like there is no other sport. Personally I'm not that into it  except when there is the European or World Championship. That's when every other team and their nation becomes the Enemy. :D

• Love 2

Yeah, that's Brazil in a nutshell. Football is bigger than everything else, not only in sports -- it's the biggest thing that happens, period.

: Italy. HIgh five for our countries priorities! /sarcasm/

• Love 1

Soccer rules no matter where you are!

Which country are you from? ETA: never mind saw your answer :-)

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 1

My BFF was married for a while to a guy from Ecuador so I had a few years of watching soccer and going to the husband's soccer games as well.

Let's just say I was glad for the divorce. ;)

Honestly though the only way I can find any sports on television interesting is if I care about the team. And even then it's limited to The Twins and the Vikings. Basketball is exceedingly dull to watch and too damn squeaky. Oddly enough I've mostly stopped watching any sports unless it's a big game because I found myself caring TOO much.

I'm very partial to American football, but I only watch or pay attention to it at the college level. As excited as I get for the rivalries and the games, I enjoy the stories about the kids and their love for their sport. I hate that there's a lot of NCAA exploitation of young people who make their institutions obscene amounts of money, but I'm still heartened by the camaraderie and gratitude a lot of the young men still have for the chance to play and earn a degree before they become such entitled jerks once they start raking in the big NFL pay checks. I guess I can overlook a lot of stuff that happens due to their immaturity when they're in college because I teach people in that age group and know that many are away from home for the first time and trying to function under enormous pressure.

I will never understand why professional Soccer/Football has never become accepted here in the US. I love it, I was actually watching the Arsenal game yesterday.

Arsenal is my favorite club! I was on vacation in San Diego this week and told my friends we couldn't leave our hotel room until I was done watching the match. LOL.

Soccer will never be as popular here as the big four American sports, but it's popularity is growing exponentially here in the States. It started with the high level of interest in the last few World Cups, but it's extended to the English Premiere League. It did pretty well when it was on Fox Sports, but ever since NBC Sports bought the rights, the ratings have been higher than expected. The fact that SportsCenter regularly includes soccer highlights is indicative of its growing popularity.

I love seeing sports talk here. I'm a devoted fan of all the local pro teams here in Tampa (Bucs, Lightning, Rays), but I also love the Patriots. (Sue me)  I used to be a big NBA fan before I went to college at Duke. But after 4 years of watching basketball in Cameron Indoor Stadium, I found NBA basketball so boring and emotionless. So now I only really watch the finals, if I bother to watch at all.

• Love 2

In youth sports in America, soccer is starting to outpace most of the other (more traditional) sports. I don't know what will happen in 20 years, but if the men's team ever makes a real run at the World Cup, I could see it exploding here. What America really loves is winning. As long as they're 16+ in the world, I don't see it really taking off...and wow the men's national team looked bad this past week!

I'm a huge sports fan but I'm in a state of depression and shame over the Rangers last week, so I've been passing on the discussion. But glad to see so many sports lovers' here! And it seems like there are quite a few Cubs fans...sorry about the weekend so far. Perhaps they will turn it around at home?

• Love 1

They care about winning if it's the Men's Team. The Woman taking the World Cup was only big news for a couple weeks. It's annoying and frustrating. 

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 3

FIFA is full of scandal and corruption and big money payoffs but only for the men's game.  Canada got to hot the Women's World Cup because hardly anyone else wanted it.

Soccer really should be the world's sport because all you need to play it is a ball and an open space. And kids too poor to own a ball make their own.

I love seeing sports talk here. I'm a devoted fan of all the local pro teams here in Tampa (Bucs, Lightning, Rays), but I also love the Patriots. (Sue me)  I used to be a big NBA fan before I went to college at Duke. But after 4 years of watching basketball in Cameron Indoor Stadium, I found NBA basketball so boring and emotionless. So now I only really watch the finals, if I bother to watch at all.

I went to graduate school at Duke and was blessed enough to see live basketball in Cameron as well & I've got to say that it did ruin NBA basketball for me. Plus I feel like there is more emotion in collegiate athletics in general. The kids really want to play ball. Plus after being in the presence of Coach K, the other mere mortal coaches just pale in comparison sometimes.

As for professional teams, I have to stay true to the hometeams. I was raised under the Bambino Curse, witnessed the struggling Patriots and Bruins. About the only local team that had consistent success during my childhood was the Celtics. We had some living legends that played on all the teams. But really we couldn't get it together to win many championships until my young adulthood and then it was all over. Boston is officially a Championship Town, which I am proud of! I have to say though growing up with struggling teams really made you understand the fickleness of sport, fates/destinies and adversity to some degree. I can appreciate the wins, because I know how much the losses hurt. These youngsters growing up now in my area, only know a lot of success and that doesn't always raise the best fans.

I do tend to prefer the NFL over other professional sports. The one exception to the rule, which makes me quite the anomaly in my area is I love Peyton Manning. Granted I always want him to lose against my Pats - but any other opponent & I root for PM's team.

My father is Italian, so I have been raised on the importance of Real Football on the global stage. I have been watching the World Cups since before I can remember. Sadly, real football doesn't get as much airtime on general American TV as it should & cable can be so expensive. I wish the growing interest in Youth Soccer translated to more Americans watching it on a Professional level - but I don't see the advertisers or viewers jumping at the opportunity. I love the game, but the structure does not lend itself well to mass market media & advertising that runs sports on American TV, but maybe that will change.

I also have to admitted I am an Olympics Junkie, so literally every 2 years I am basically attached to my living room watching people live out their dreams and play sports I barely get to see ever. The Olympics to me are sportsmanship at its finest. I am beyond disappointed about all the corruption & BTS politics of the IOC. But the actual Games themselves are truly special to see, especially when they are able to focus on some of the athletes' stories & struggles. And its great to see National pride from all the countries.

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure that soccer is the most popular sport that children participate in and though I never participated in formal leagues, I loved playing it. But watching it is another thing.

That friend I mentioned, her son is in soccer year round and the routine was enough to put me off the game. There were day long tournaments just about every other weekend in the summer and monthly in the winter and it became overwhelming to me as an honorary auntie, I can imagine it just burning the parents out who have to do multiple weekly practices plus the regular games on top of the tournaments. Her son is not even a teenager yet.

I've heard of the mythological soccer carpool but it didn't seem to be a thing where I live.

I've heard of the mythological soccer carpool but it didn't seem to be a thing where I live.

3 of my nephews play & so thats multiple fields & times. And they actually changed the policy of the league requiring a responsible separate adult for each kid during practices & games. Which means this mythologogical carpool can not exist since another parent can not be the child's responsible adult (at least according to my sis-in-law). Luckily they just moved up one my nephews to the oldest age group so its down to 2 fields. But it can get a little crazy.

• Love 1

I also have to admitted I am an Olympics Junkie, so literally every 2 years I am basically attached to my living room watching people live out their dreams and play sports I barely get to see ever. The Olympics to me are sportsmanship at its finest. I am beyond disappointed about all the corruption & BTS politics of the IOC. But the actual Games themselves are truly special to see, especially when they are able to focus on some of the athletes' stories & struggles. And its great to see National pride from all the countries.

Hey, fellow Dukie! I already can't wait for the start of the upcoming season!

And the Olympics are my favorite sporting event, hands down. Winter, Summer, it doesn't matter. By this point, my friends and family know I'll be totally out of pocket for those two weeks. I'm obsessed.

• Love 2

Rory and anyone but Dean. 

I loved Jess. That smart-ass. But he wasn't ready and the whole Luke related thing.

Logan was a grown-up mix of Tristan and Jess.

I was happy with her choice in the end.

• Love 2

I wish they could set it before the final season. No mother-daughter breakup. No April Mess. 

I hope they can get Sookie (and Paris) back. Kind of doubt it, but it would be nice.

And what about Christopher? Or is he stuck at Hallmark?

Gonna miss Papa Gilmore. :-(

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 1

Rory and anyone but Dean. 

I loved Jess. That smart-ass. But he wasn't ready and the whole Luke related thing.

Logan was a grown-up mix of Tristan and Jess.

I was happy with her choice in the end.

I agree.  I was happy with the ending, Rory choosing herself.  But Jess was on my list for them reconnecting when they got older.  Eight years later works for me! 

Of course getting the actor back may be impossible.  I'm super excited but at the same time, it makes me nervous because so often when they do what might as well be a reunion show, they have the romantic leads at odds and I don't want to think that the HEA that I imagined didn't work out - even if they fix it in the show.  So butterflies until I see the finished product. 

Finally got my ticket after maneuvering through all the crashed websites. I'm surprised I'm this excited. Don't let me down, JJ!

Hate you!

I gave up because the damn site kept crashing on me.

ETA:  I got my ticket, i got my ticket...happy dance!

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2