Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Sadly Beauty & the Beast got the axe today. S4 will be its swan season. I knew it was coming, but the sting still hurts. On the upside, at least they get to finish off the story in a proper way, knowing its the end. I enjoy when networks appreciate their fans and give them a proper goodbye.

I would say that it gives The CW more budget or timeslots to play with, but I honestly don't think they were spending any money on that show & a summer show timeslot is an opening but not prime real estate.

I honestly think Beauty and the Beast making it four seasons, with those ratings, even on the CW, is pretty impressive. I never checked the show out but I'd be happy to see Kristin Kreuk pop up elsewhere on something else I watch. I'd like to see her outside of Lana Lang, and...Chun-Li, I guess, since I did watch that Street Fighter movie she did.

• Love 2

I LOVED the first season of Beauty and the Beast but the show has overstayed its welcome. The writing was uneven in S1 but Kristin Kreuk and Jay Ryan's incredible chemistry, a strong supporting cast, and decent acting made the show worth watching. The writing in S2 was moronic and infuriating but at least the other elements were still there.

Season 3? I could not have been more bored. The writing was still subpar, the plotlines repetitive, KK and JR's chemistry evaporated, and KK forgot how to act. JR, Austin Basis and Nina Lisandrello continued to deliver on the acting front, but KK apparently took over-acting classes during the S2/S3 hiatus. So disappointing.

Ah. Okay. Thanks. Because I was sort of surprised about when he would have found time. Although I wouldn't blame him if he went to hang with Barry and get away from the "team".

I think he was more busy w/ Felicity at home ;)

• Love 4

I haven't been watching The Flash, but I've been reading reactions to the episodes this season.  Did the LoT spinoff affect The Flash at all? What I mean is, when The Flash was given the go-ahead, Arrow lost Berlanti, Kreisberg, and some writers (I think?).  Did LoT spinoff steal away any writers or producers from The Flash?  I know MG is involved and I'm guessing maybe Berlanti?

AFAIK, Arrow didn't lose any staff writers for Flash -- just AK as showrunner. But I think Beth Schwartz is doing double duty on Arrow and LoT this season.

ETA: we really need that Crossover thread back from the DCTV page. Please, mods?

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 1

They are doing darker things but keeping the lighter tone which is kind of strange. Team Flash just murdered two villains and no one said a word about it. I don't mind them ragging on Oliver, because he acted like such an idiot last season. I also agree with adding the color of the outfit is dumb. The Canary issue is the EP's fault and why they now need to add a color. 

• Love 1

So I have a question for anyone watching The Flash. Do you get the impression that the show's quality is gonna take a nosedive off of a cliff, as Arrow did (IMO) when AK and GB left for The Flash?

I think the show's quality, at least as far as writing goes, has been suffering for a while. I mean, as much as a dumbass as Oliver is, Barry is just as much of one (although with lower personal stakes, it seems). But there are a lot of cool VotW and nods to comic canon, and there's a ton of weird science going on, so people seem to overlook all of that.

• Love 7

Whether or not the quality takes a nosedive, I think it will still get good ratings.  Right now, it's the only superhero show i would recommend watching with the whole familiy (that may change when Supergirl comes on).

Someone a while back asked about Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic's relationship on Castle.  I don't know what it's like today but I found this clip that was show during season 2.  It's a surprise baby shower for one of the crew who was doing double duty as a pregnant patient that episode and looking at the N/S body language, they seem to be fine with each other.  (Also Stana is the only person who hugs the woman who really needed to be hugged so so much for rumors of how cold she is.)

• Love 2

I did PM the Mods earlier this afternoon to ask for a live chat thread.  Haven't heard anything, thought maybe they'd post a note or something, so I don't know if that's happening tonight or not.

I see that Teddy Sears has joined The Flash.  I remember him from that Raising the Bar show with Saved By the Bell's Zach.  I shipped Teddy Sears' character with Gloria Reuben's character, but I don't think their relationship got much development before that show was cancelled :(   Maybe a kiss or something, I can't recall.  Eh, still not enough to make me check out The Flash again.  

• Love 1
I see that Teddy Sears has joined The Flash.  I remember him from that Raising the Bar show with Saved By the Bell's Zach.  I shipped Teddy Sears' character with Gloria Reuben's character, but I don't think their relationship got much development before that show was cancelled :(   Maybe a kiss or something, I can't recall.  Eh, still not enough to make me check out The Flash again.  

The reason I even watched the second season of Raising The Bar was to see what happened to those two characters.  Not only did they have some interesting chemistry, the characters were an upper class younger man smitten with his older female boss, a nice change from the usual trope. I remember there was barely any traffic at the TNT site for the show but there were multiple pages for that ship.

But the show-runner (an ex lawyer himself)was living vicariously in the Jerry Kellerman character (played by Mark-Paul Gosselaar) and Kellerman got a love triangle while Roz/Richard went nowhere in the second season.  No big surprise, the show was soon cancelled.  Another cautionary tale about what happens when you don't listen to your audience.  I would have hung in for even the slightest storyline for them but it was dropped like a live bomb.  In the last episode, she adopted a boy who had been in one of her cases, and I think he said something about helping her raise him.  A fair amount of fanfic though.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2

I was under the impression that the live threads were usually reserved for season premieres and finales. Or otherwise big episodes. Is that not the case?

Haha, that's probably why my request was ignored.  I thought it was a weekly thing, didn't realize most forums just do the live chat a few times per season.

Constantine will now be on El Rey Network starting November 3rd if anyone wants to get a feel for the character. That channel also got the show Almost Human, as well.

He was good on Masters of Sex. I've liked him so far on the FLASH. Honestly, I think the show will take a hit in quality. So far the best performances have been from VG, GG & TS (3 of which are not permanent cast). And of course BA's Dad, but I was just petrified he was gonna offer to get ice cream for the party and I would have to relive that horror all over again. The rest of the cast have been phoning it in or maybe I am just over their antics.

Did anyone watch Crazy Ex-Girlfriend?  I really had no intention of watching, but someone in this thread mentioned rave reviews, so I gave it a shot.  I had absolutely no idea that it was a musical comedy, and I'm not too crazy about that, but the songs are funny.  The first ten minutes, I was kind of meh, but it got much better after that.  I don't care much for Josh (the ex-boyfriend of the main character), but I already know I'm going to be shipping the lead and the bartender. I'm in.

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 2

I was pleasantly surprised by Crazy Ex-Girlfriend as well. I found it really quite delightful. I was glad that while Rebecca is acting crazy over Josh, she seems to be competent in every other area of her life.

Postseason baseball is already one of my favorite things, but as a huge Cubs fan this year has truly been unbelievable. I live in Wrigleyville and it has been a non-stop party. 

Did anyone watch Crazy Ex-Girlfriend?  I really had no intention of watching, but someone in this thread mentioned rave reviews, so I gave it a shot.  I had absolutely no idea that it was a musical comedy, and I'm not too crazy about that, but the songs are funny.  The first ten minutes, I was kind of meh, but it got much better after that.  I don't care much for Josh (the ex-boyfriend of the main character), but I already know I'm going to be shipping the lead and the bartender. I'm in.

I really liked it. Songs were funny, loved the "bitches I need to apologise to" list at the end.

My copy of that Black Widow YA novel arrived today. Don't have the time to get around to it at the minute though since I'm halfway through another book and I'll be needing to start JK Rowling's next Cormoran Strike novel as soon as it comes out next week. 

Edited by manbearpig

I enjoyed Crazy Ex-girlfriend Pilot, it's not on the same level as Galavant and it could go the way for me, but the humour in the musical numbers reeled me in big time. The "Sexy Getting Ready Song" keep getting stuck in my head.

I agree with @SonofaBiscuit Josh ain't great.

It has been so long since Toronto had a team in the play-offs that the Rick Mercer Report (satirical show) had people asking What is this thing called play-offs?  Where are they being held?  Do I have to dress up for them? 

The last game was exhausting but it did unite the city four days before the election tears it apart.

Anyone catch Jane the Virgin? My favorite current show for sure.

I think Flash is still great

Jane was great.  Didn't expect the kidnapping to be resolved so soon. 

I am still enjoying The Flash but it's been more by the numbers so far this season.   They are moving pieces around that could make for something great but I'm not excited by anything yet. 

I enjoyed Crazy Ex-girlfriend Pilot, it's not on the same level as Galavant and it could go the way for me, but the humour in the musical numbers reeled me in big time. The "Sexy Getting Ready Song" keep getting stuck in my head.

I agree with @SonofaBiscuit Josh ain't great.

Plan on checking it out soon.  It's on my DVR.  I hope it's better than Galavant.  I tried so hard to like that show but I only found a few songs even remotely funny. 

Jane the Virgin :')

I feel like I'm one of the very few people who loves Jane and Michael. Jane and Rafael are okay, but they're so typical and don't have the same warmth I feel with Jane and Michael. I loved their little moment in episode 1 before she enters her bedroom and Rafael takes his shirt off. :')

Jane the Virgin :')

I feel like I'm one of the very few people who loves Jane and Michael. Jane and Rafael are okay, but they're so typical and don't have the same warmth I feel with Jane and Michael. I loved their little moment in episode 1 before she enters her bedroom and Rafael takes his shirt off. :')

I was a fan of Rafael but then he screwed it up and now Michael is being so perfect but then Raf and the skin to skin contact spoke to me so yeah, at this point I think I might be open to about anything.  Except no to Raf getting back with his ex.  Just no. 

I'm one of the few (only?) people that doesn't like Jane.  I adore the actress, but they go way over the edge to prove how much better she is than anyone else.  Ever.  I'll still watch, and I'm glad they resolved the kidnapping, I just hope they keep a good balance of all the characters (there are a lot of gems in there).

JtV lost my interest over the last part of the season. I thought it lost its stride a bit, and I hate love triangles so I got tired of Michael vs. Raf. One thing I always loved about it though was that every time someone did something batshit or found out something batshit that information almost always came out. Whenever I expected someone to keep a secret, they didn't. And the show still managed to be dramatic and was great and surprising because of it.

I tried watching the S2 premiere, and it's still not grabbing me like it once did, but I'll give it another try at some point.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1

Watched Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and was surprised how much I LOVED it.  The song numbers were catchy and funny but what completely sold me was the friendship that was formed at the end.  Highly recommend! 

• Love 2

As long as it's not the Mets and the Jays in the World Series, I'm good :P Seriously, I want the Cubs to take it.

I have a good friend in Chicago and we've been teasing each other about what we're going to do if it's Cubs vs Jays.

During the games played in the US, the Canadian channels just sends out the Fox Sports feed.  It was really disturbing to listen to them be all "yay America,  boo Canada" yesterday. I think someone must have told them to tone it done because they were a bit more polite today.

This country vs country feud is silly IMO.  Most of the ball players are American just as most of the hockey players are Canadian.  Do they think that taking money from a team's owners makes you less of a person if the team is on the other side?

• Love 1

I have a good friend in Chicago and we've been teasing each other about what we're going to do if it's Cubs vs Jays.

During the games played in the US, the Canadian channels just sends out the Fox Sports feed.  It was really disturbing to listen to them be all "yay America,  boo Canada" yesterday. I think someone must have told them to tone it done because they were a bit more polite today.

This country vs country feud is silly IMO.  Most of the ball players are American just as most of the hockey players are Canadian.  Do they think that taking money from a team's owners makes you less of a person if the team is on the other side?

Ugh, I hate the Fox Sports feed. They're always so biased against one team (why am I shocked, it's effing Fox). I don't get the country vs. country feud either. I'm not supporting the Jays because they beat my beloved Yankees, LOL! As for the Mets, well, in my family you're either with the Amazins or the Bombers, no straddling the fence ;) 

• Love 2