Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

On a much less deep subject, one of the mods when she/he was doing some clean up referred to us on the Arrow forum as Arrow-ites which while nothing technically wrong is not the term I'd want to be called (Makes me think of a pompom squad name or a bug related to termites...really any of the mites family is off putting ) and yet I can't think of anything better. Any suggestions?

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the link to cracked.com that Orion posted in the 'Mind Your Surroundings' thread, one of the 'see also' links at the bottom was this hilarious article:

7 Gross Foods Your Grandparents Ate (That We Taste Tested)

Well he must be a whipper snapper because for me that would be parents, but...my mum had a couple of cookbooks from the '60s and they were legit full of all this stuff like jellied tuna rings, souffled tongue and pig trotters in aspic.

I think I would have starved to death or gone vegetarian (I mean I'm vegetarian anyway, but those food abominations would definitely have tipped me over the edge earlier!), but presumably people did actually eat this stuff - do any older board members remember '60s dinner parties?

• Love 1

Oh, man. I have a cookbook from the '60s that I stole from my mom. HUGE heavy book, glossy paper, red leather bound, gold leaf text... and basically not a single recipe that I would ever make because EVERYTHING looks disgusting. But I keep it in my cookbook shelf with the modern stuff, and really, every one that visits me ends up drawn to that freaking book, and then spends an hour horrified by what their parents/grandparents ate. It's almost cool, in a way. *g*

Oh my, that Cracked article had me dying!  Tears streaming down my face.  That poor author.  And while we do have a favorite family jell-o mold recipe (strawberry jell-o with bananas and pineapple with a sour cream middle, nothing wacky), I can definitely recall my mother having that smiling fish mold.  I don't remember her using it though...

I remember going to family gatherings and eventually learning to avoid the "fruit salad" because you never could tell ahead of time what was under all the fluffy coating.  After the 2 or 3 gagging session, I learned my lesson even if I still miss the ambrosia salad consisting of green jello cubes, grape halves,  shredded pineapple, mini marshmallows and cool whip.  I think the last time I thought I found it I ended up with a mouthful of green jellow, grape halves, Mandarin oranges, cottage cheese, and mayonnaise.  Blech!   

If I understand it from my mother who grew up in the sixties, there was a time when it was a matter of pride to be able to make meals without actually using the oven.  Cut up a bunch of ingrediants and suspend it in jello - poof, what a modern woman!  

I also understand that Julia Child might just have brought back the love of good food though I still can't explain the aspics in her cookbooks. 

Edited by BkWurm1

I think the last time I thought I found it I ended up with a mouthful of green jellow, grape halves, Mandarin oranges, cottage cheese, and mayonnaise.  Blech!

Surely orange paired with mayonnaise is one of the signs of the Apocalyse.

I also understand that Julia Child might just have brought back the love of good food though I still can't explain the aspics in her cookbooks.

I think in the UK the equivalent was Delia Smith which is probably why she's regarded as almost a deity.

I can just hear the clatter of thousands of discarded ring moulds and bags of gelatin...

• Love 1

I was once given a Betty Crocker cookbook from the 60s, which I was really excited about till I read it and realized that every recipe started with Bisquick.  I still love my old Joy of Cooking, which I got (stole) from an ex and that it explains how to get the buckshot out before you cook the bird. 

I didn't watch the clip, but the How I Met Your Mother finale never really bothered me. Not because I thought it was good; but in my opinion the show had gone so far downhill that the finale, while bad, barely bothered me because I had checked out of the show anyway. There was still the occasional good episode, and a few standout scenes here and there (loved Lily and Ted discussing their lives on the rooftop where Lily mentioned that even though she loved her family, she still felt unfulfilled at times), but the show had disappointed me so much that I was just glad to see it end. In hindsight I probably should have stopped watching, but I loved those first four or five seasons so much that I wanted to see it through until the end, and the decrease in quality was pretty gradual anyway.

Cristin Milioti was perfectly cast as the mother and pretty much the final season's only saving grace. The episode centred on the mother, while rushed, was easily the best of the season and the main cast barely even featured in it. I mean, I'll always love Lily too because Willow Rosenberg is probably my favourite television character ever and I can't dislike Alyson Hannigan, but she was kind of sidelined at the end. Anyone that can be that devastating while wearing a whale costume is a good actor though. Return to drama please, Hannigan!

I even liked Ted by the end of the show, Radnor had pretty good comic timing and Robin and Barney became so unbearable that Ted barely bothered me anymore even though he was my least favourite initially.

EDIT: Although, now that I think about it, I was watching the final season on tv here in the UK, so I was already spoiled when watching the finale. Maybe if I had watched it live like everyone else it would have annoyed me more, but by the time it aired here in the UK I had already heard a lot of negative opinions and knew pretty much everything that happened, so maybe that is why it didn't annoy me much. Although, I remember talking about it with some people I knew, who were both really angry about it, even though they usually don't seem as invested in their television shows as I tend to be. Maybe it really was that bad and my low opinion of the last two/three seasons meant that it never really stood out to me considering I disliked the show for a while before it wrapped up anyway.

Edited by manbearpig

i've never been a HIMYM fan- but i did watch a few episodes here and there, but i did decide to watch the last season last year and I really liked it- including the format the entire season had (it was refreshing actually; I loved the mother and you know NPH is NPH sooo and i actually thought Barney and Robin were perfect for each other so yes i was pissed at that ending. i was planning after the finale to binge watch the entire show, but decided against it after watching the finale because the way it ended annoyed me to no end.

The first two seasons of HIMYM were hilarious. I loved Barney and Robin from those seasons, BroTP (Bro True Pair) is what they were called. They started tanking around the 5th season, I tried watching the last season but gave up before it ended and read about how it ended online. I was glad I didn't watch it because I would've been pissed. 

However one my favorite episodes was Slap Bet aka "Robin Sparkles". Where we find out that Robin was a teenage pop star in Canada. I could not get Let's Go To The Mall out of head for days after watching that ep. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

Today is the day many internet sites are supporting net neutrality and offering links to petitions to sign.  The legislation is in the US but will affect countries all over the world.  The cable companies are asking for a two tier system and to charge extra.

AO3;'s support.

John Oliver explains.

OMG! that video is amazing. Literally shared it with everyone i know!

That Firefly fan film really was surprisingly great. Now though I want someone to reboot the series using other original characters living the same sort of life. Just hearing the music and seeing the sets gave me all kinds of feels. I know getting the original band back together is an impossibility but just staying in the universe doesn't seem so insurmountable which annoyingly now makes me want it. Bad.

• Love 1

With fall premieres just around the corner, what shows are you most excited about (other than Arrow of course)? What new shows are you planning to check out?

I think I'm most excited about Castle and OUAT. New shows are Flash, Agent Carter (whenever it's scheduled) and Scorpion.

"Constantine," "Gotham," "Agent Carter" and "The Flash" intrigue me. Also, "How To Get Away with Murder" with Viola Davis because that woman rocks. "Forever" with Ioan Gruffudd is probably not going to last long, but I will try to get my Horatio Hornblower fix in. "Madam Secretary" looks nice paired with The Good Wife and I definitely want to check out "Gracepoint" because I loved "Broadchurch" and David Tennant. Am eager to see "Walking Dead," "Castle," "Sleepy Hollow," "Supernatural," "Person of Interest" and "Agents of Shield" again. (AoS, which I had dissed earlier in the season, actually became my refuge when I felt Arrow started to suck during that back half).

Yeah, I don't plan on sleeping in the fall :P

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 3

(AoS, which I had dissed earlier in the season, actually became my refuge when I felt Arrow started to suck during that back half).

I'm the same - I thought AoS got better and Arrow got worse. I am interested to see what happens with AoS this season. I thought about watching Forever, but I expect it to die hard and fast so...if it actually survives I might take another look.

Lol - your watchlist isn't too much longer than mine actually. I'm also planning on watching Blacklist, NCIS, NCIS LA, Hawaii Five-0, Elementary, Grimm, and The Mentalist (although it probably won't come back until the spring).

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1

Lol - your watchlist isn't too much longer than mine actually. I'm also planning on watching Blacklist, NCIS, NCIS LA, Hawaii Five-0, Elementary, Grimm, and The Mentalist (although it probably won't come back until the spring).

Oh God, I have friends who're pushing me to start "Elementary" and "Grimm" and I'm looking at my schedule and ... *sigh* Well, there's always coffee ;)

I'm excited for the Fall season to start up since Outlander is ending soon and let me tell you after seeing Jamie's back, Oliver's scars look like child's play. 

Show's I'll be watching are The Walking Dead, American Horror Story: Freak Show, Elementary, Gotham, Flash, AOS (of which I had saved up and only started watching when friends told me it got better and it did. I am looking forward to the new season), Agent Carter, Gracepoint (because of my love of David Tennant), and Sleepy Hollow. 

• Love 1

New Shows: IZombie, Constantine,  Gotham, Flash, A to Z

Returning: Sleepy Hollow, Brooklyn Nine Nine and Community if that counts 

I'll catch Agent Carter, Parks and Rec, the Glee eps with Quinn in the spring

...oh and Mad Men

Edited by wingster55
  • Love 1

This fall, I'll be watching: Returning shows: Arrow, Blacklist, Castle, Elementary, Person of Interest, Once Upon A Time, Sleepy Hollow.  New shows: Flash, How to Get Away with Murder, Constantine, Madam Secretary, NCIS: New Orleans (I'm over NCIS and NCIS:LA but I'm giving this one a shot only because of Scott Bakula).  And when they come back for the new seasons: Game of Thrones, Orphan Black, Three Musketeers, Outlander, The Vikings, Sherlock, Broadchurch, Luther (assuming they do a Season 4) and Murdoch Mysteries (when season 7 comes out on dvd this fall)

yea, after two years ago where i had about two shows every night i made a decision to try and stick only with 5-ish shows per year and just binge watch everything else during term breaks.

currently: Arrow, OUAT, Mad Men. Gotham, Constantine, How To Get Away With Murder...

that's all i can think of right now. between having 4 classes, a part time job and hoping for some sort of social life TV is not really high on my list. plus i don't actually own a TV so everything is online, therefore it really has to grab me to make me watch. (seriously not having a TV.. best decision ever! saves me from watching stupid shows and commercials- well and the money too)

Edited by foreverevolving

Oh, I forgot OUAT! Yes, checking that out again, too. Curious to see what they do with the "Frozen" gang. I wasn't very happy with the whole Peter Pan thing last year. Felt it kinda dragged. Looking at the other lists, I realized I have more shows to add to mine: e.g. Luther, Orphan Black, Doctor Who (which is back, I need to catch up), Game of Thrones, Strike Back, Banshee (if there's a 3rd season). But those I can binge-watch later.

I'm absolutely in love with my DVR these days.  I'm usually playing catch up during the winter hiatus but it's fun not having to chose one over another show.

New shows:  Madame Secretary, How to Get Away with Murder, Scorpion, Gotham, The Flash, Agent Carter, maybe Forever, maybe Constantine, most certainly Gracepoint (David Tennant) probably Selfie (Karen Gillian aka Amy Pond lured me over but what sold me is it being based on My Fair Lady)

Returning shows:  Castle, Bones, Elementary, Grimm, Arrow, The Mindy Project, New Girl, Haven, Big Bang Theory, Mom, Glee, Lost Girl, OUAT, Revenge (though I'm still a season behind) White Collar, The 100, The Good Wife.  I'm not sure when they come back but there's also Sherlock, Downton Abbey, Blechly Circle, Defiance, and I'm not sure when I'll track them down but the new Dr. Who and the second season of Orphan Black.  Not to mention Suits, Unforgettable and fingers crossed Longmire. 

I think Bletchley Circle got cancelled and so did Longmire. And Sherlock won't be back till 2016. Sorry.  However Downton Abby is sure to be back.

I'm leery of new shows because a lot of the time I think they're good and they turn out not to be or I fall in love with them and they get cancelled after a few episodes.  (New Amersterdam, I'm looking at you.)  I'll try NCIS:NO because I like Scott Bakula and CCH Pounder, and I'll try the comic book shows to see which ones I like.  Beyond that, I'm keeping an open mind.

Returning shows: Arrow, Castle, OUaT.  Murdoch Mysteries,  Perception (the most realistic of psychopath shows), Remedy, Sleepy Hollow, Strike Back, Suits, Orphan Black and Dr. Who.

I would have added Death in Paradise but they killed the old lead off and I don't like the new one nearly as much.

I think Bletchley Circle got cancelled and so did Longmire. And Sherlock won't be back till 2016. Sorry.  However Downton Abby is sure to be back.

Crap and Crap.  I hadn't heard.  I guess given the choice, I'll be willing to wait for Sherlock.

I would have added Death in Paradise but they killed the old lead off and I don't like the new one nearly as much.

And another big crap.  I didn't know about that one either. 

Looks like I have a little more time to read now. 

With fall premieres just around the corner, what shows are you most excited about (other than Arrow of course)?

Haven, Grimm, Sleepy Hollow,  Real Husbands of Hollywood

What new shows are you planning to check out?

Flash, Gotham, How to Get Away with Murder, Blackish

Edited by icandigit

I watch a ton of TV, but there's not really anything coming out this fall that I'm super excited about :(  I usually order HBO in the fall so that I can watch Homeland, but the new season doesn't look that intriguing.  I would watch just to see the Carrie/Quinn dynamic because that's one of the best parts, I think.  I plan on watching Death Comes to Pemberley over on PBS next month.  I want to see the resolution to the Chicago Fire cliffhanger from last season, and I'm looking forward to Sleepy Hollow and OUaT for the Hook/Emma goodness. 

I'm going to watch Gracepoint, but I wasn't overly impressed with Broadchurch, so I hope that the US version deviates quite a bit from the original.  Broadchurch reminded me a little of the first season of The Killing.  Every person we met was shady as hell and there were too many red herrings. 

I think that I'm also going to avoid How to Get Away With Murder.  Shonda Rhimes shows tend to get messy after a couple of seasons.  I've actually been thinking about giving up on Scandal because I'm pretty much at the point where I'm hate-watching that one.