Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

This is totally off topic, but any fans of Lois & Clark? I was just reminded how much I loved that pairing. I wanted to be Lois Lane so bad. lol

I loved Lois&Clark but we shall be having words if the Lois and Clark you adore were hanging out in Smallville.  ;)

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lois Lane on Smallville? You mean the one who had no interest in journalism till a flying barn door dropped next to her? Who was totally okay with making up stories for a tabloid? Or got kicked out of college for drunk and disorderly? Who got handed a job at the DAILY PLANET for an alien story (prior to Aliens being common knowledge i.e. Superman)? Then slept with her editor? All in the same season that showed Chloe Sullivan working from the basement up at the Daily Planet (after being high school editor and interning during the summer at the Daily Planet), who took night classes at college, who was told by said editor 'to be more like Lois Lane'. That Lois Lane?

….I'm very bitter about that Lois Lane. Chloe Sullivan was my Lois Lane on Smallville

• Love 1

Chloe Sullivan is the one that started my love of the characters that have wrong name. I'm still bitter about that and have probably brought that bitterness over to this show. 

Dean Cain is my Superman. (There have been enough of them that they can be like the Doctor from Doctor Who). I was shipping Lois and Clark before I even knew what that meant. 

• Love 2

I adored Lois and Clark. :) First couple I ever shipped.

On another note, I just watched the Forever pilot (made available early) and....I guess I'll be adding that one to my watch list too. I still expect it to die a quick death, but I'm intrigued so we'll see where it goes. It feels like this weird mashup of Elementary and Castle with a touch of New Amsterdam thrown in (not that I ever watched more of New Amsterdam than the pilot).

I wonder what other pilots are being made available early? (bored)

Edited by Starfish35

Smallville ran for 10 years and had all the major names, but its Chloe Sullivan I remember. I will forever be bitter that they sacrificed a character like Chloe to build up a character like their Lois Lane. I was a huge fan of the Chlois theory and I thought it would have been a brilliant twist to the story; to find out that all three major players were involved from the beginning. Chloe is also an example of how an actress can rise above the story. Chloe got thrown some OOC/dumbass story lines in those last few seasons, but Alison Mack still gave it her all. The also tried to throw her some really tough stuff that I believe were supposed to knock her down a bit from fan favorite status (betraying Clark in the early season), but it didn't touch her popularity. 

I LOVE DEAN CAIN. I will still watch his cheesy hallmark movies. He was the perfect Clark/Superman. BTW, I don't buy that Clark Kent is some awe shucks slightly dorking man. I loved that Cain didn't play him like that. And all props to Teri Hatcher, she is the only Lois Lane I thought nailed it completely. 

….I'm very bitter about that Lois Lane. Chloe Sullivan was my Lois Lane on Smallville

I was a huge fan of the Chlois theory and I thought it would have been a brilliant twist to the story; to find out that all three major players were involved from the beginning

Arrow, Dr. Who, Lois&Clark, Chlois

Are you me???

• Love 1

oh man.. being the minority (i'm just gonna raise the shield before i write this next line): i actually loved Lois Lane on Smallville. Chloe was awesome and i adored her, but Lois literally draw me in from the very first scene she appeared on.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 1

Is that shield big enough for both of us? I also enjoyed Smallville's Lois very much. I'm not defending all the writing for her character, but I still liked her in spite of it. And I liked Chloe as well. I just don't think the show should have tried to have them both at the same time.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1
i'm just gonna raise the shield before i write this next line

Is that shield big enough for both of us?

You don't hate the misinformed, you can only pity them.  ;p

I just doesn't think the show should have tried to have them both at the same time.

I completely agree with this.  If LL was the end game then CS should not have been there first (or definitely at least should have been revealed as LL) 

I'll try to leave my comment at that here.  If you want a more vigorous conversation (or even just make a statement of support for EDLois), come on over to the Smallville forum. 

On a side note, sorry about the title for the Lois thread, I tried to get it changed to something more neutral but nothing came of my request.  Maybe if other's made a request too?.(  I'm still rooting for it to be called Lois Lane:  The General's Daughter.)  I'm perfectly happy to disembowel her character but I do want to be civilized about it.  ;D

Yeah, after ten years, the bitter just doesn't go away.  :)

You don't hate the misinformed, you can only pity them. ;p

LOL. :)

I'll try to leave my comment at that here. If you want a more vigorous conversation (or even just make a statement of support for EDLois), come on over to the Smallville forum.

Thanks, I appreciate that. It's just been too long though for me to be able to hold up in any kind of in-depth discussion even for the six seasons I did see. If I was ever eventually able to do some sort of rewatch though to refresh my memory, I'd be glad to join in.

Edited by Starfish35

Hello everyone! I have been lurking on this board for a while, and now I have decided to jump in and join the fun :)

And I'll start by asking a question:  a while ago, before I started watching Arrow, I came across an online article about shippers, fan service, and in general the way a fandom can impact a tv show. Now I'd like to read it again, but can't find it anywhere. I remember a short remark on Olicity, in terms of how sometimes a fanbase can give a boost to a show.  I was wondering if by any chance some of you might have read it :)

Lois Lane on Smallville? You mean the one who had no interest in journalism till a flying barn door dropped next to her? Who was totally okay with making up stories for a tabloid? Or got kicked out of college for drunk and disorderly? Who got handed a job at the DAILY PLANET for an alien story (prior to Aliens being common knowledge i.e. Superman)? Then slept with her editor? All in the same season that showed Chloe Sullivan working from the basement up at the Daily Planet (after being high school editor and interning during the summer at the Daily Planet), who took night classes at college, who was told by said editor 'to be more like Lois Lane'. That Lois Lane?

Maybe that's what Andrew Kreisberg meant when he compared Laurel to Lois Lane (add sarcasm) - Sara is Chloe and Laurel is Lois.  

Sara earned her way to be the Black Canary, but Laurel will just be handed the title.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

With fall premieres just around the corner, what shows are you most excited about (other than Arrow of course)? What new shows are you planning to check out?

I think I'm most excited about Castle and OUAT. New shows are Flash, Agent Carter (whenever it's scheduled) and Scorpion.

I don't know if I'll actually be able to watch all of these shows, but here's my list....

New Shows - Agent Carter, Constantine, The Flash, Forever (for Ioan Gruffudd), Gotham, Gracepoint (for David Tennant), Stalker (for Maggie Q)

Returning shows - Agents of SHIELD, Arrow, Castle, Doctor Who, Elementary, Hawaii Five-0, Once Upon A Time, Orphan Black, Person of Interest, Sleepy Hollow, The Voice, The Walking Dead

If I had the channels, but I don't, so I can't watch - Game of Thrones, Outlander

Edited by tv echo

I'll be the super odd duck here and say I only ever watched seasons 8-9-10 of Smallville, and Chloe is my favoritest character on the planet, and the idea that she should've been Lois makes me go SCREEEECH HALT WHAT because I love Chloe/Ollie more than any other pairing ever, and their storyline is my reason for living, and I barely even paid attention to either Clark or Lois until BQM started writing the Smallville comics, and made them endearing to me.

My third favorite character on Smallville is Tess. Fourth is Doctor Hamilton. I like the Justice League on Smallville the best of all JLAs ever portrayed. I never rememeber Lana existed because I didn't see her much. I also always forget Chloe was married to Jimmy. I find all Luthors extra boring [except Tess. Tess is the best Luthor].

Hi, my name is dancingnancy and I watch TV wrong. :)

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 2

LOL!

I should probably admit that I'm a Lex fan, so....that may be why I never got very involved in the Chloe vs Lois issue. I enjoyed both actresses and both characters. Lana....that was a different story, but...well. Also it never occurred to me that Chloe might be THE Lois Lane, so there was no investment on that point. *shrugs* Not criticizing! That just wasn't my experience.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1

I'll be the super odd duck here and say I only ever watched seasons 8-9-10 of Smallville, and Chloe is my favoritest character on the planet, and the idea that she should've been Lois makes me go SCREEEECH HALT WHAT because I love Chloe/Ollie more than any other pairing ever, and their storyline is my reason for living, and I barely even paid attention to either Clark or Lois until BQM started writing the Smallville comics, and made them endearing to me.

My third favorite character on Smallville is Tess. Fourth is Doctor Hamilton. I like the Justice League on Smallville the best of all JLAs ever portrayed. I never rememeber Lana existed because I didn't see her much. I also always forget Chloe was married to Jimmy. I find all Luthors extra boring [except Tess. Tess is the best Luthor].

Hi, my name is dancingnancy and I watch TV wrong. :)

It's interesting to hear from someone that only watched the later seasons and still loves Chloe. She was the best thing about the entire show and the reason I subjected myself to watch all 10 seasons of that show. I loved Chloe/Lex in the early seasons, then switched to Chloe/Oliver in the later. I also loved Tess. 

• Love 2

Chloe/Lex was something Smallville should have really explored in the later seasons. Even if they never went romantic, that interaction would have been golden.

This is a little weird but while I thought Chloe Sullivan was a better Lois Lane, I was never a big Chlark shipper. They had some great moments where I could though: that kiss in the daily planet and your own personal bomb squad and the Lexmas scene. 

I did really like Chloe and Oliver. Chloe and Jimmy made me want to scream at the TV.

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 1

I watched Smallville from beginning to end. I saw every single episode the night the aired. I have to say that I liked Lois (not at first, originally she bugged the hell out of me but grew on me later) and even Lana (the opposite of Lois, I enjoyed her character at first but later she began to grate on my nerves and I wasn't upset at all when she left) but Chloe was the woman for me. I was actually under the impression she and Clark would end up together (I liked the idea that she might change her name later to Lois Lane) and thought her and Oliver kind of came out of nowhere, but I was fine with it.

Initially I loved Chlark, it just was so much more appealing to me than Clana, even though Clana had great chemistry.  Later I loved Chlex, there was tons of chemistry between those two characters and I loved the verbal judo. However, it seemed that there was some crazy mandate by the EPs that Lana had to get every man on the show, so Chlark and Chlex never happened.  

I stopped watching (regularly) around S4 but would occasionally watch when a promo would catch my attention or I had nothing better to watch.  I was lured back to Smallville in S8 by a friend who praised Davis and Chlavis and I have to say, Davis was awesome...of course Smallville never saw an awesome character, romance or story-line that it couldn't destroy.  Finally there was Chollie which was probably the only entertaining thing about Smallville in the later seasons and the only reason I watched (occasionally).  

It's not easy to watch a superhero show when you hate the superhero...there were points where I gleefully wanted Lex to destroy Clark...just kill him and have the show center around Lex's struggles with morality.  

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

Actually, I dropped by the Smallville forum and glanced around. It doesn't seem as intimidating as I thought it might be, so I might stop by and post in the all seasons thread after work tonight. But I won't be able to handle any in-depth debates I warn you, since it's been seven years since I watched the show (finale excepted). My memory is just not that great - lol. :)

• Love 1

LOL!

I should probably admit that I'm a Lex fan, so....that may be why I never got very involved in the Chloe vs Lois issue. I enjoyed both actresses and both characters. Lana....that was a different story, but...well. Also it never occurred to me that Chloe might be THE Lois Lane, so there was no investment on that point. *shrugs* Not criticizing! That just wasn't my experience.

Exactly! i will admit that as far as Smallville goes i was what you will call a "regular viewer" i never felt the need to go into the boards on a regular basis. so for me finding out Chloe was supposed to be the arch type Lois in the show was big news. since i never saw or treated her as such, she was Chloe Sullivan, a brand new character introduced into the Superman lore. i loved her, she was awesome in her own way. but i never felt any actual romantic chemistry from her and Clark, or that she's actually Lois Lane under a different name- i simply assumes, once Lois was introduced and went into journalism too, that it was just genetics that draw them both to journalism. i always loved Chloe story lines, and her development into watchtower and eventual stepping down from that role had a very natural build up, so i was never dismayed by her story lines. i do admit that for me, her relationship with Oliver was one of those things that you don't realize you wanted to see it to happen until it 'slam, bam, right there in front of you' type of development (for me it was the moment he was showing her how to use the bow (was it season 6 or 7? i forgot) both my sister and I turned to each other and we were like "did you predict this happening? no, yea me neither. but damn they're hot together and it just feels right! doesn't it?!" it was very satisfying to see how that relationship evolved into a true bond.

• Love 2
i do admit that for me, her relationship with Oliver was one of those things that you don't realize you wanted to see it to happen until it 'slam, bam, right there in front of you' type of development (for me it was the moment he was showing her how to use the bow (was it season 6 or 7? i forgot) both my sister and I turned to each other and we were like "did you predict this happening? no, yea me neither. but damn they're hot together and it just feels right! doesn't it?!" it was very satisfying to see how that relationship evolved into a true bond.

That was S9, Warrior.

I liked Lois and Clark too. I thought they had a nice rhythm, and hey, it's okay to have your superhero in a real relationship.

I'm going to watch Gracepoint, but I wasn't overly impressed with Broadchurch, so I hope that the US version deviates quite a bit from the original.

Me too, but it was such a hit that it seems like they're trying to reproduce it.  I watched a few episodes but ended up bored.  David Tennant's accent was a big plus but he's doing Gracepoint with an American accent.

The Red Band Society is on tonight.  I was going to skip it because it seemed like it was going to drag but I saw a screening of the pilot and it's actually quite good.

I liked Lois when she was first introduced and I liked her with Clark. I was even excited when she had no interest in journalism because Hey! origin story. I started to dislike her when I realized they were going to hand her everything Chloe worked so hard for. Watching Chloe struggle with her place after getting fired while Lois jetted off to meet foreign dignitaries, it was a little much too swallow. (hint why the Laurel and Sara situation makes me so mad). I should probably take a look at the Smallville forum too.

I wasn't overly impressed with Boardchurch either but I'm giving Gracepoint a chance because I love David Tenant. My dream is to one day see Tenant, Piper and Barrowman on my screen together. 

• Love 1

I stopped watching Smallville after S2, when I realized that if the scenes I most felt like fast forwarding through were the main character's then it probably wasn't a good idea to keep on. I just found Clark to be extremely boring and was glad to find out later that he and Chloe never dated because I was afraid she'd become boring, too. I liked Chloe, she was my favorite with Lex a close second.

I used to watch Smallville but stopped watching regularly around season six. I even used to participate on the TWOP forums some of the time. But fandom got too intense for me plus the terrible episode about immigration and underground tree monsters made me look at my life; look at my choices. And then a few seasons later Clark destroyed the twin towers and I heard several years ago that Alison Mack is in a cult now or something so my feelings about the show will remain in a hazy seasons 1-5 nostalgia safety bubble.

As for new shows, I'm looking forward to watching How To Get Away With Murder, to my surprise. I've never watched any of Shonda Rhimes' shows but that one looks fun and has a great lead actress, so I'm in. So excited for Agent Carter. Gonna give The Flash and Gotham a shot as well as Constantine, but that one I have less hope for. Will probably check out Red Band Society if I don't let the subject matter bum me out.

Returning shows: Sleepy Hollow, American Horror Story, Community, Hannibal, Agents of Shield (hesitantly) and Parks & Rec, as well as It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Bates Motel early next year.

Wish I could want to watch Stalker because I have a lot of goodwill towards Maggie Q and used to love The Practice for some reason when I was a kid but Dylan McDermott can only mean bad things for that show.

I used to watch Smallville but stopped watching regularly around season six. I even used to participate on the TWOP forums some of the time. But fandom got too intense for me plus the terrible episode about immigration and underground tree monsters made me look at my life; look at my choices. And then a few seasons later Clark destroyed the twin towers and I heard several years ago that Alison Mack is in a cult now or something so my feelings about the show will remain in a hazy seasons 1-5 nostalgia safety bubble.

WHAT? Allison Mack always seemed so reasonable and intelligent to me. It still kind of baffles me that she hasn't done much since Smallville. She's so talented. If she doesn't book another job soon I'll have to watch Wilfred.

I heard several years ago that Alison Mack is in a cult now or something

Not exactly in a cult but she does (or at least has regarded) the quasi guru dude as some kind of really wise man and has taken his advice I guess.  It's some group that offers life classes and counseling but sounds like some people just get lost inside the organizations I don't think AM is that far gone, she's not living in a commune or anything, just probably overly respects their opinions and advice.

I did watch her in Wilfred and she was surprisingly terrific.   I always knew I loved her as Chloe but she has a real gift at conveying emotion without having to do or say a lot. 

Maybe that's what Andrew Kreisberg meant when he compared Laurel to Lois Lane (add sarcasm) - Sara is Chloe and Laurel is Lois

You have no idea how ironic I felt to have gone from Smallville where I was rooting for the non cannon character to "win" berating myself for watching for at least half of the time the show was on only to tune into Arrow and not only have Felicity, who might as well have been a non canon character but also Sara.  Every time Felicity does well on Arrow I also see it as vindication for my love for Chloe.  (Talk about a constant death watch.  From season 2 on I thought she was a goner)

If I had the channels, but I don't, so I can't watch - Game of Thrones, Outlander

Ditto.  I watched the pilot of Outlander online and it kind of killed me when it was over.  Too soon, too soon. 

• Love 1

I apologize for throwing that out offhand, I wasn't trying to attack Ms. Mack's beliefs or character or anything, that was just something I read somewhere a while back and it latched on to my Smallville memories. The only episode I ever saw of Wilfred had her in to my surprise and I thought she was as charismatic as ever.

Outlander is my new favorite show. I hate having to wait a week to watch each episode and there are only 2 more left.  The acting on that show is amazing as well as the locations. It's a little more on the romance side than Game of Thrones but still has battles and blood. I have also gained an appreciation of the Scottish accent and men in kilts. 

• Love 4

@BkWurm1 Is Outlander really that good? I haven't watched it yet, but have been reading great reviews about it, enough to intrigue me.

I don't know.  All I know is when it ended I really didn't want it to be over.  There was something very compelling about the possibilities.

apologize for throwing that out offhand, I wasn't trying to attack Ms. Mack's beliefs or character or anything, that was just something I read somewhere a while back and it latched on to my Smallville memories.

Don't feel bad, it's just that I'd love it if she wasn't at all connected to something iffy like that and have had to work to rationalize it in my own head, so it instantly popped out.

The only episode I ever saw of Wilfred had her in to my surprise and I thought she was as charismatic as ever.

I'd casually watched earlier seasons but very specifically watched when she was on.  She wasn't Chloe at all but yeah, still great to watch. She got great reviews among critics and fans.  :)

Hello everyone! I have been lurking on this board for a while, and now I have decided to jump in and join the fun

Welcome looptab!  I wish I had an answer for your question.    You might look through some of the old post in the news thread for Arrow

Yes, 1-6. And also I did watch the two-hour finale. – Starfish35

Ok, season 6 saw Lois meet her Barn door of destiny and join the Inquisitor.  My problem with Lois mostly had to do with her supposedly being THE Lois Lane and she kept dragging my expectations down lower and lower.  If she’d just been a random character I would have been amused by her rather than finding her sad and tragically embarrassing and yeah, it wasn’t until season 7 and on, that her portrayal as a reporter got truly maddening.  I wonder if your opinion might have changed had you kept watching. 

I'll be the super odd duck here and say I only ever watched seasons 8-9-10 of Smallville

I can’t imagine this.  By season 8 Clark was turning into a huge dick and they show runners were systematically trying to undo all the past Chlarky goodness.

I love Chloe/Ollie more than any other pairing ever

Those two actors had explosive chemistry.  I could never let go of Chloe/Clark (despite despising him with an unhealthy amount of hate for the last two years) but I splashed around the shallow end of Chlollie, enjoying just watching them on screen.

My third favorite character on Smallville is Tess

I think we need a Tess Mercy thread over in the Smallville forum. 

I should probably admit that I'm a Lex fan,

A worthy occupation.  I think I was open to shipping Chloe with everybody (except Jimmy- made her have to pretend to be weak to prop his ego)  I always enjoyed with Lex and Chloe were in the same room. 

i never felt the need to go into the boards on a regular basis. so for me finding out Chloe was supposed to be the arch type Lois in the show was big news. since i never saw or treated her as such

I never went near any fandom until I think the end of season 3.  I had been watching since season two convinced that Chloe Sullivan was going to turn out to be Lois Lane and it made the whole show way more interesting.  Then they kind of killed her and they said they were bringing in a Lois.  I was waiting to find out if Chloe was dead (so I could stop watching) but she survived. I actually love Lois in the first two episodes she was in.  I remember being really happy that she would be stuck going to Smallville High but I think that lasted one episode before I started hating her and thinking she couldn’t possibly be THE Lois Lane.

I was sure there was some kind of twist being planned and that’s when I really hit the boards and found other like minded people. I’ve rewatched those early seasons and still despite knowing how everything turns out I find myself certain that Chlois was the early intention, perhaps AlMiles’s intention all along.  Then the show runners changed and I knew it was game over even while I clung to my hopes and dreams. 

• Love 2

I never found Clark boring. I may have not liked his character at various points but boring he was not imo.

I loved Chloe and most of her parings..but my favorite character was Lex and my OTP (and the show's as well I believe) was Lex/Clark. Not romantically though (much)

I watched the first episode of Outlander and now that I'm on vacation, I'm determined to watch the rest. I spent a summer in Scotland and those accents and scenery just makes me so happy. It really was good. I'm impressed with the lead actress.

Lana didn't feel like a real character; just some show runners wet dream. 

If anyone has the chance youtube: Smallville Spell Commentary. It was the most ridiculous episode. Commentary was provided by KK, AM, and ED. Its hilarious. Apparently Tom Welling would walk about saying: "Clark's an idiot."

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 1

Oh man, "Spell." That whole witch saga was what made me ditch the show after S4, and I was beyond obsessed with Rosenbaum. I was even a dedicated Chlexer. I did tune in for the finale and even after 6 years away, I still totally cried at the end. Such is the power of the BDA.

I actually loved Spell. The season as a whole was a mess and Spell itself is pretty dumb, but it's just so much fun that I can't help but love it anyway. KK did a good job that episode playing Isobel and Mack and Durance bring a fun comic energy as the ditzy witches. I do love the commentary too though.

The funny thing is, I generally found Isobel more entertaining during that period than Lana. KK got to act more openly and freely when everything she did wasn't connected to Lana's dead parents or her relationships with Clark and Lex.

Wow, that's crazy about Allison Mack, I had no idea. Glad others had a different opinion than I did about Clark being boring, but he just didn't click for me. 8 seasons for KK, I'm not that patient, unfortunately.