Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

40 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Guys!!!!!!! AMELIA BEDELIA IS AWESOME!!!!!!! Kidlet loved them! I released the box set before Christmas because we needed new stuff to read and those books had us in stitches! He wants to cancel his playdate today so he can finish the rest of them and re read them (I said no!)! We have one left and they just arrived this morning!

Aww!  That's great.  I love that he's already figuring out how wonderful books are. 

And Lol, when you guys were talking about knitting and crochet and tension problems, I thought you were talking about using it as stress relief. 

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Guys!!!!!!! AMELIA BEDELIA IS AWESOME!!!!!!! Kidlet loved them! I released the box set before Christmas because we needed new stuff to read and those books had us in stitches! He wants to cancel his playdate today so he can finish the rest of them and re read them (I said no!)! We have one left and they just arrived this morning!

Books are an excellent excuse to cancel. Books and cats. 

• Love 1

Does he read the books himself?  That's pretty awesome at his age.

2 hours ago, BunsenBurner said:

Do you all that knit or crochet wrap the yarn around your pinkie finger for tension?  I always thought it was weird but it really does make a difference in how the the items turn out. 

I don't crochet (in spite of trying) but when I knit I wrap the yarn once around my index finger and it feeds through as i knit instead of having to drop a needle and put the yarn through by hand.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I think Baldwin is the best Jack Ryan. I still like Clear and Present Danger better than Hunt for Red October. Both are must sees IMO

What is the order for the Jack Ryan movies?  I've never been entirely sure.

• Love 1

Hunt for Red October (Alec Baldwin)

Patriot Games (Harrison Ford as Jack Ryan)

Clear and Present Danger  Harrison Ford)

Sum of All Fears (Ben Affleck)

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (Chris Pine)

8 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

• Love 1

@BunsenBurner I finally baked your cake as part of my Christmas prep!!! I'll post a pic of it when I ice it for Christmas lunch! It's going into the freezer for now! 

I didn't get to taste it but scooped out some batter to make 3 little mini cupcakes for my three little helpers and they all declared it was a winner despite whinging at me when I put the coffee in! 

@scarynikki12 today's playdate was with a mum I'm pretty close to. Play dates with barely acquaintances are the worse! I'm what people would deem "chatty" but being forced to spend hours with someone you only say hi and bye to with little people running around is one of the shockers of parenting!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, catrox14 said:

Hunt for Red October (Alec Baldwin)

Patriot Games (Harrison Ford as Jack Ryan)

Clear and Present Danger  Harrison Ford)

Sum of All Fears (Ben Affleck)

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (Chris Pine)

To go back to your Clear and Present Danger comment, I didn't like it because it veered to far from the book. Plus William Dafoe was miscast as Mr. Clark.

Book wise, reading/chronological order:

Patriot Games (prequel)

Hunt for Red October (written first)

Cardinal of the Kremlin

Clear and Present Danger

Sum of All Fears

Debt of Honor

Executive Orders (this is where I stopped reading)

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

I forget which show it was that had this, but I know I watched it recently--an old show, I think, but your having not seen any of the movies we talked about in the other thread, had me going: Shame! Shame! Shame! Shame! ??????

I was reading TV Line’s shows to bring back and Hart to Hart caught my eye. I’ve probably watched the entire series. I always thought the leads were too old. If they redid it with SA and EBR they could have a hit on their hands. Their chemistry is already known and there’s a bit of comedy involved, I would watch it. 

• Love 7

I think that would be a great idea, they already play so well off each other and throw in all the comic moments.  I'd as for DR as Max but I'd rather have him starring in his own show.  (Stephanie Powers was 37 and Robert Wagner 49 when Hart to Hart started.)

• Love 3
22 hours ago, BunsenBurner said:

I was reading TV Line’s shows to bring back and Hart to Hart caught my eye. I’ve probably watched the entire series. I always thought the leads were too old. If they redid it with SA and EBR they could have a hit on their hands. Their chemistry is already known and there’s a bit of comedy involved, I would watch it. 

I recently watched a number of the old Hart to Hart episodes.  (Last year)  It's not a bad show but OMG the sexism is rampant.  The worst of it wasn't even the overt stuff, but things like how in the first season I don't think Mrs. Hart was allowed once to save herself from anything let alone anyone else.  She was allowed to cry "Jonathan!" a lot and be sassy, but that was about it, lol.  

But yeah, I'd love a modern remake of a jet-setting couple running around the world solving mysteries while being madly in love.  

SA and EBR would be fantastic casting.  A show like Hart to Hart would be make or break on the couple's chemistry.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I recently watched a number of the old Hart to Hart episodes.  (Last year)  It's not a bad show but OMG the sexism is rampant.  The worst of it wasn't even the overt stuff, but things like how in the first season I don't think Mrs. Hart was allowed once to save herself from anything let alone anyone else.  She was allowed to cry "Jonathan!" a lot and be sassy, but that was about it, lol.  

But yeah, I'd love a modern remake of a jet-setting couple running around the world solving mysteries while being madly in love.  

SA and EBR would be fantastic casting.  A show like Hart to Hart would be make or break on the couple's chemistry.  

I haven’t watched them in a good long while, but if memory serves, the Thin Man movies did really well at this. I can’t even remember sexism.

• Love 1

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!  :)

Like many of you, I'll be busy with Christmas-related stuff over the next several days. Hope you all can relax and enjoy the holidays.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 8
30 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

The thing is EBR/SA could both do stunts. Oh well wishful thinking this time of year. 

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I haven’t watched them in a good long while, but if memory serves, the Thin Man movies did really well at this. I can’t even remember sexism.

The Thin Man movies were so much fun.  More fun IMO than the characters on Hart to Hart.  They were so frothy and the dialogue so snappy.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I'm also thinking of a Remington Steele redux with SA and EBR. That would be fantastic.

Remington Steele is my first favorite TV show and ship.   The premise of Remington Steele would have to be tweaked but I totally think it could be done.  

• Love 2

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!!

It's been great shipping Olicity with you guys!!!!! Hopefully there will be lots of good shippyness to squee over in the new year!

I'm taking a few moments with tea and a pastry before the Christmas madness hits!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I love that every one is using Beebo Day. I guess the Legends didn't fix the timeline. Lol. 

Hope everyone had a safe and happy Beebo day!

I think it's really cute.  Now I just need to find someone to hug who is as huggable as Beebo is!

• Love 3

Do you guys have good Boxing day sales wherever you are?

I managed to replace 2 of my kitchen appliances (broken them just before Christmas) at superb prices and scored a dress for $62 down from $280!

I was feeling super guilty about buying clothes (contributing to landfill) so I decided to walk to the shops! I ended up lugging home on foot a bag of clothes for hubby, a mini food processor, a handheld mixer and a dress. I had to stop halfway to sit and rest on the path. People on their daily jog looked at me like I was crazy! 

Hubby bought me a worm farm for Christmas! My hippy self is super excited!!!!!!!!!! He's going to assemble it for me and then we will buy and open a can of worms (heeee!).

5 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

We don't have Boxing Day in the US. Today is back to work for most people. I'm sure there are some sales going on mostly because people are now returning unwanted gifts.

6 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I was feeling super guilty about buying clothes (contributing to landfill)

I don't follow.  How does buying clothing add to a landfill?  I can't recall the last time I threw a piece of clothing away.  

17 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I don't follow.  How does buying clothing add to a landfill?  I can't recall the last time I threw a piece of clothing away.  

I loooooove pretty dresses. Before I developed guilt I'd buy lots every year. Some I'd sell after a few wears or donate. But then I read that charities don't need impractical clothes and it causes them more trouble of you donate that kind of stuff so I felt really bad and tried to buy a lot less. 

What do you do if you don't throw them? They pile up even if I wear the comfy ones as home clothes. 

8 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I managed to replace 2 of my kitchen appliances (broken them just before Christmas) at superb prices and scored a dress for $62 down from $280!

I was feeling super guilty about buying clothes (contributing to landfill) so I decided to walk to the shops! I ended up lugging home on foot a bag of clothes for hubby, a mini food processor, a handheld mixer and a dress. I had to stop halfway to sit and rest on the path. People on their daily jog looked at me like I was crazy! 

Hubby bought me a worm farm for Christmas! My hippy self is super excited!!!!!!!!!! He's going to assemble it for me and then we will buy and open a can of worms (heeee!).

A number of stores around here claim to have Dec 26th sales, but they aren't sales so much as "come in and spend your holiday gift card" things. So in my experience the best prices are after Jan 2.

1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

I loooooove pretty dresses. Before I developed guilt I'd buy lots every year. Some I'd sell after a few wears or donate. But then I read that charities don't need impractical clothes and it causes them more trouble of you donate that kind of stuff so I felt really bad and tried to buy a lot less. 

What do you do if you don't throw them? They pile up even if I wear the comfy ones as home clothes. 

Thrift shops, mainly, or cut up the unripped portions and turn them into patches for quilts. I don't make quilts myself, but I have two friends who do.

• Love 2
On 12/23/2017 at 4:37 PM, BkWurm1 said:

Remington Steele is my first favorite TV show and ship.   The premise of Remington Steele would have to be tweaked but I totally think it could be done.  

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!! You know how I feel about my show, @BkWurm1! I think I made me thoughts clear when that rumor about a spin off of their daughter was pitched. I danced a happy jig and CELEBRATED when that got quashed. As it should. What's the saying? You can't have Lightening in a Bottle twice? That's how I feel about Remington Steele, and especially the type of chemistry that Pierce and Stephanie had.

I still have dresses and sweaters that are over 20 years old. And I still wear them, because the style of the sweaters have never gone out of style and the dresses are...well...you can't point at them and say "That is SO 1980!" or whatever decade it is. *shrugs.*

• Love 2

1 minute ago, quarks said:

A number of stores around here claim to have Dec 26th sales, but they aren't sales so much as "come in and spend your holiday gift card" things. So in my experience the best prices are after Jan 2.

Thrift shops, mainly, or cut up the unripped portions and turn them into patches for quilts. I don't make quilts myself, but I have two friends who do.

Like Quarks said, donate them, give away to people I actually know myself, and if too worn, cut up to be used as a rag or to be repurposed for projects.  And while maybe some charities don't want fancier clothing, I usually hear just the opposite, that they are short clothing suitable to wear in an office environment.  I also keep some clothing of various sizes around for when invariably a friend or relative needs to change into something and for the also inevitable weight fluctuation of me myself and I, lol. 

If you are thinking you have too many fancy dresses to give to charity, what about a consignment shop or a shop that resells higher end gently used clothing?  Often you can get store credit and then you can get new to you items without it actually being brand new.      

(Clearly we are trying to help you feed your pretty dress addiction)

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!! You know how I feel about my show, @BkWurm1! I think I made me thoughts clear when that rumor about a spin off of their daughter was pitched. I danced a happy jig and CELEBRATED when that got quashed. As it should. What's the saying? You can't have Lightening in a Bottle twice? That's how I feel about Remington Steele, and especially the type of chemistry that Pierce and Stephanie had.

Doing a COMEDY spin off was a terrible idea that deservedly died hopefully a painful death.  But they could take Remington Steele and use it for inspiration and get something good if they don't mess it up too much. 

You could never do Remington Steele exactly as it had been nor would one want to, but I remain a big fan of the formula where you have one character that is thorough and methodical and has come by their investigative skills through hard work and time and training and then you have the other character that has the untrained gut instinct and leap before you look mentality and toss in the mysterious past and con man tricks or reformed thief and yeah, I eat it up. The professional and the talented amateur it's a favorite formula of mine especially when they add the romance that I would love to see repeated again and again.

They don't have to call it Remington Steele or lean very heavily on the exact premise but I almost always enjoy that kind of two-handed lead, opposites attract (but are actually more alike than you think) built in love interest type show.   McMillian and Wife, Hart to Hart, Remington Steele, Season 9 and 10 on Stargate Sg-1 (aka the Daniel and Vala show), Moonlighting, Scarecrow and Mrs. King, Castle, Chuck.  Even Psych fits the premise in a sideways kind of way since the main pairing there was the bromance.  I'm sure I'm forgetting other examples but I don't see them enough on tv anymore.       

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

Ah, got it. 

2 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

They don't have to call it Remington Steele or lean very heavily on the exact premise but I almost always enjoy that kind of two-handed lead, opposites attract (but are actually more alike than you think) built in love interest type show.   McMillian and Wife, Hart to Hart, Remington Steele, Season 9 and 10 on Stargate Sg-1 (aka the Daniel and Vala show), Moonlighting, Scarecrow and Mrs. King, Castle, Chuck.  Even Psych fits the premise in a sideways kind of way since the main pairing there was the bromance.  I'm sure I'm forgetting other examples but I don't see them enough on tv anymore.       

Sadly, I don't think we'll EVER see these types of shows again, because Network, cable, HOLLYWOOD, are too invested in gritty, edgy, or Superhero shows and movies. It's like there's no room for any others.

You've listed my must see shows that I watched growing up as a tween/teen and then adult. And yes, Shawn and Gus will ALWAYS be the OTP of Psych. Just finished rewatching Season One after watching the MOVIE! and it still stands up. I'm hoping for multiple movies from them.

2 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

We actually have a charity where I live that wants gently used sparkly dresses. They let us know on the local news when to donate.  The dresses go to the girls for proms and other special events. It’s a win win for everyone. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

2 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

And while maybe some charities don't want fancier clothing, I usually hear just the opposite, that they are short clothing suitable to wear in an office environment.

Do you have Dress For Success where you live? I know they are in several countries. It's an organization that helps women acquire a work wardrobe and provides career assistance. They typically are always looking for clothes that is business or business casual in good condition. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, leopardprint said:

Do you have Dress For Success where you live? I know they are in several countries. It's an organization that helps women acquire a work wardrobe and provides career assistance. They typically are always looking for clothes that is business or business casual in good condition

And if we base what is business appropriate on Felicity's word wardrobe, skies the limit on fancy and pretty.  

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

And if we base what is business appropriate on Felicity's word wardrobe, skies the limit on fancy and pretty.  

I saw a pic today of the US Ambassador to the UN wearing a slight boob window dress in a professional environment, and Felicity is a trendsetter is all I'm saying. ?

• Love 5
6 hours ago, BunsenBurner said:

We actually have a charity where I live that wants gently used sparkly dresses. They let us know on the local news when to donate.  The dresses go to the girls for proms and other special events. It’s a win win for everyone. 

I was just going to say the Salvation Army store by me takes in fancy dresses and, has a good selection every spring for Prom

• Love 1

Haha I really appreciate you guys helping my pretty dress cause. I did really well last year. I bought maybe 5 dresses for the entire year! 

Crockery is another thing I've managed to resist! Op shop crockery only for me!

@leopardprint we do have an organisation that accepts work clothing. That's where I donated my entire work wardrobe after I resigned.

Speaking of dresses, does anyone do what I do and keep an old dress/ item of clothing as a size gauge?

I have a dress that I try on every year to make sure it still fits. It's my goal to fit into it for as long as I can.

I keep old clothes that I love hoping that I'll be able to fit in them again some day and that they will be close enough to the current style that I'll be able to wear them  again.

I think you can donate most clothes here.  As others have said,  there is a need for business clothes for men and women who are going for job interviews. A few days ago there was a call for outdoor clothing here as the temperature will hit -30 degrees tomorrow  (-22 F).

Boxing Day sales used to be the biggest things here but Black Friday has been creeping in. It's still a pretty big deal though. Electronics is a big thing; there was a long lineup at 6 a.m when Best Buy opened this morning.

I used to head for the really high end clothing stores for things I could afford on all the rest of the days. One year I scored two formal dresses for a song, the sparkly one for the affair I was attending and a claret coloured shoulder- less dress (what is now called 'cold shoulder ') that I couldn't resist.

Another reason for donating old clothes- - it's an excuse to buy new ones.

• Love 1

I never throw away or donate clothes.   I spend a lot of money on mine and fortunately being a guy,  most of my mine never go out of style.   Some of them do,  but fashion is secular so I have a few boxes where I store my less than current pieces until they come back in.   My weight doesn't fluctuate all that much,  so I think it's a good system. 

1 hour ago, Delphi said:

I never throw away or donate clothes.   I spend a lot of money on mine and fortunately being a guy,  most of my mine never go out of style.   Some of them do,  but fashion is secular so I have a few boxes where I store my less than current pieces until they come back in.   My weight doesn't fluctuate all that much,  so I think it's a good system. 

Grrr.  Jealous.  :D

• Love 3

I need this board to settle an argument I've had with hubby for over a decade.

If I told you: Please buy me a couple of oranges from the shops.

Would you buy me exactly 2 oranges or more than 2?

Does the word couple mean "TWO" of something to you?

I told him the Arrow forum is good at English and will settle this once and for all! 

Edited by Mellowyellow