Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, kismet said:

I'm was wrong about the potential death because I thought it was going to be the Dad. I'm not ready to say goodbye to Milo's character just yet.

As much as I despise the old person make-up, I do like seeing Mandy Moore acting it out in both timelines. Although she does channel Sally Fields from Brothers and Sisters for me a little too much.

Jack was alive during the kids' teen years. Remember the episode with teenage Kevin and Randall bein on opposing football teams? As long as they show earlier periods, Jack is safe. To be honest, I expect them to have Jack dying in the season finale anyhow.

On Mandy Moore - Sally Field front, oh. my. God. Now I can't unsee it.

19 hours ago, bijoux said:

Jack was alive during the kids' teen years. Remember the episode with teenage Kevin and Randall bein on opposing football teams? As long as they show earlier periods, Jack is safe. To be honest, I expect them to have Jack dying in the season finale anyhow.

On Mandy Moore - Sally Field front, oh. my. God. Now I can't unsee it.

You're right about the teen years. But with the random time jumping. I was nervous for about the first 30min that they would rip the floor out from underneath me and show Jack's sudden death on Christmas Eve. I'm just not ready to lose Jack, I might not even be ready by the season finale :(

Sorry about the Sally Field.  :(

• Love 1

With only a few weeks left in the year, I've got to wonder how this year will taught in schools.  It would pretty much have to be a whole course itself, 2016: The Most Insane Year Ever.

Teacher: "Now as we learned last week the year began with armed militants taking over an Oregon federal building.  That should have been a sign of the weirdness of the year, but a week later David Bowie died.  As we all know, scholars believe that Bowie's death caused a rip in the fabric of the universe, and everything got turned up to 270."

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 10

CW is renewing CEG for sure. 

Complete list:

Best Motion Picture – Drama
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell Or High Water
Lion
Manchester By The Sea
Moonlight

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama
Rami Malek
Bob Odenkirk
Matthew Rhys
Liev Scrieibler
Billy Bob Thornton

Best Director – Motion Picture
Damien Chazelle
Tom Ford
Mel Gibson
Barry Jenkins
Kenneth Lonergan

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
Annette Bening
Lily Collins
Hailee Steinfeld
Emma Stone
Meryl Streep

Best Television Series – Drama
The Crown
Game Of Thrones
Stranger Things
This Is Us
Westworld

Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
20th Century Women
Deadpool
La La Land
Florence Foster Jenkins
Sing Street

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama
Amy Adams
Jessica Chastain
Isabelle
Ruth NEgga
Natalie Porton

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama
Casey Affleck
Joel Edgerton
Andrew Garfield
Viggo Mortensen
Denzel Washington

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy
Anthony Anderson
Gael Garcia Bernal
Donald Glover
Nick Nolte
Jeffrey Tambor

Best Performance by an Actress In A Television Series – Drama
Caitriona Balfe
Claire Foy
Keri Russell
Winona Ryder
Evan Rachel Wood

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture
Viola Davis
Naomie Harris
Nicole Kidman
Octavia Spencer
Michelle Williams

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
Colin Farrell
Ryan Gosling
Hugh Grant
Jonah Hill
Ryan Reynolds

Best Original Song – Motion Picture
Cant Stop The Feeling, Trolls
City Of Stars, La La Land
Faith, Sing
Gold, Gold
How Far I’ll Go, Moana

Best Performance by an Actor in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Riz Ahmed, The Night Of
Bryan Cranston, All The Way
Tom Hiddleston, The Night Manager
John Turturro, The Night Of
Courtney B Vance, The People Vs OJ

Best Television Series – Musical or Comedy
Atlanta
Black-ish
Mozart In The Jungle
Transparent
Veep

Best Original Score – Motion Picture
Moonlight
La La Land
Arrival
Lion
Hidden Figures

Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Olivia Colman, The Night Manager
Lena Heady, Game Of Thrones
Chrissy Metz
Mandy Moore
Thandie Newton, Westworld

Best Motion Picture – Animated
Kubo and the Two Strings
Moana
My Life As A Zucchini
Sing
Zootopia

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Felicity Huffman, American Crime
Riley Keough
Sarah Paulson
Charlotte Rampling
Kerry Washington, Confirmation

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Sterling K Brown
Hugh Laurie
John Lithgow
Christian Slater
John Travolta

Best Motion Picture – Foreign Language
Devine
Elle
Neruda
The Salesman
Toni Erdmann

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy
Rachel Bloom
Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Sarah Jessica Parker
Issa Rae
Gina Rodriguez
Tracee Ellis-Ross

Best Limited Series
American Crime
The Dresser
The Night Manager
The Night Of
The People V OJ

Best Original Screenplay
La La Land
Nocturnal Animals
Moonlight
Manchester By The Sea
Hell Or High Water

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/golden-globe-nominations-2017-nominees-full-list-1201938375/

Edited by Velocity23
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Why are there two lists for Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama?

I think that first list is for TV series, not movie, based on the people (Rami Malek, etc.) nominated and that the category is missing from the list.

On 12/8/2016 at 10:08 AM, tv echo said:

Do all showrunners go to the same TV writing school? Watching TV has been a déjà vu experience lately.

In Gotham's midseason finale, Jim Gordon killed his ex-girlfriend Lee's fiance. In Arrow's midseason finale, Oliver just killed Felicity's new boyfriend. (Though the circumstances were different.)  

In a recent Once Upon a Time episode, we got to see a version of what Emma's life would've been like if she had never been a Savior.  In a recent Arrow episode, we got to see a version of what Oliver's life would've been like if he had never become a vigilante. (Though neither version was realistic or in character, imo.)

On Once Upon a Time this season, Emma saw a vision of her own death. On The Librarians episode last night, Eve Baird saw a vision of her own death.

Edited by tv echo

I'm shamelessly throwing it here but if anyone is tired of the dudebro fratboy club, has some time to catch up during the holidays hiatus, and wants to watch a show where female characters are valued and have an agency and gasp! relationships not involving a man, you might enjoy Lucifer.

Imagine, they even had a whole campaign about "The Ladies of Lucifer" on Twitter.  Yep, they're proud of their female characters and it isn't just for the sake of it. Season 2 is so fabulous in that respect (and the male characters are developped, too). It's also a poster show for cast integration. The relationships between characters are developped (gasp, again!)  independently from the two leads.

Also, it's hilarious, outrageously so. And thwarting/subverting many clichés. The female lead has a daughter and I have yet to see one commenter complain about her...we're actually a bunch of people asking for more of her onscreen. If you don't believe me, see by yourself!

I loved S1, I watched the first part of S2 dreading that it would crash and burn but it only got better, and everyone I recommended it to is now hooked-up so...well :))

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 6

That's so sad.  His youngest son is only 19.

2016 totally sucks.

I'm part of a group that is sponsoring a Syrian family from Aleppo.  They got out their third try but both the father and mother in the family left family member in Aleppo that they have been desperate to get out since they arrived here.  It has been practically impossible to leave Aleppo lately, the government bombing (with Russian help) has been almost non-stop, there's little food or medical care.  The U.N. has pushed a number of times for a cease fire to get civilians out but it's always been vetoed by Russia, holding a permanent seat on the Security Council

Yesterday we heard the news that her sister and three children were killed by a barrel bomb which buried them so deep in rubble of their home that they couldn't be saved.  She's devastated and they're both worried their surviving relatives now that women and children are being targeted by government forces.

• Love 2
On 12/12/2016 at 11:57 AM, Chaser said:

The Royals. Bingeworthy trash or just trash? 

I'm just going to say yes to both.  Lol.

I'm still annoyed with the eventual resolution to the season one finale mystery (I don't buy it at all- totally shoehorned in out of nowhere IMO) but I'm willing to let it go since I think the changes made between the seasons were needed.  But you may never get better love to hate characters.  And bonus, two that I simply love.  

4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Yesterday we heard the news that her sister and three children were killed by a barrel bomb which buried them so deep in rubble of their home that they couldn't be saved.  She's devastated and they're both worried their surviving relatives now that women and children are being targeted by government forces.

Aww, that's awful.  I thought I heard tonight they were going to allow a cease fire to get the remaining families out.  Maybe that was only wishful thinking on my part.  :(

Edited by BkWurm1

I'm baby sitting my 4 year old niece. We were watching some Lego show about five girlfriends who go camping. One of the girls is friends with a guy who she keeps beating at all the camp games and he gets all pissy that she's better then him so there's a whole message about her friends encouraging her to let him win so he'll like her more. 

I love shows that send out positive messages to girls at young ages (sarcasm) 

• Love 4

Heartbroken over Aleppo. Saddened by Alan Thicke's death. It hit harder than I thought. It's also coming off the death of a young patient I had who died too soon although not unexpectedly -which has had me in tears for weeks now. I feel like I'm surrounded by sadness on all fronts. Life is so short... It deaths like these that make me want to reevaluate my life.

Thoughts & prayers to their families & friends. :(

Edited by kismet
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, lemotomato said:

Ever since the latest site update, pages are doing the "scrolling upward while loading" thing. It wasn't a problem for me before, but it is now. Is this happening to anyone else?

Oh yeah.  It's super annoying, especially when it starts scrolling up while I'm trying to type a post. :(

19 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Oh yeah.  It's super annoying, especially when it starts scrolling up while I'm trying to type a post. :(

Yeah, that just happened to me too. :( I left a note in the bugs forum, but it seems like just an ongoing problem. (Except I didn't have this issue before the update, but ::shrug::)

• Love 2

Yeah I never noticed it before the update.

ETA:  I think what's going on (in my decidedly non-expert opinion) is that for some reason all of that "Sponsored Content" down below is loading slower than it used to, and so that forces the scrolling up as it loads.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Starfish35 said:

Yeah I never noticed it before the update.

ETA:  I think what's going on (in my decidedly non-expert opinion) is that for some reason all of that "Sponsored Content" down below is loading slower than it used to, and so that forces the scrolling up as it loads.

Before the update, the scrolling problem was from imbedded Twitter posts, but it was only affecting people with the Internet Explorer browser. I couldn't handle it so I downloaded Chrome.  That solved the problem for me and so far so good right now as well.    

Edited by BkWurm1

I just watched the 100 trailer... Is anyone else wondering what messed up thing they're going to do this year? They always do something...

Season 1: Have a white guy pee on a black man then have the black man killed by a 7 year old white girl. 
Season 2: Introduce a white woman who is bronzed up and wears a bindi as well as have a white girl wear dreads, kill a Nepalese (I think?) woman
Season 3: Kill an LGBT character very unceremoniously, kill a black man (who was also tortured A LOT over the years)

I'm sure there are more problematic things... But yeah. Yikes.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, wonderwall said:

I just watched the 100 trailer... Is anyone else wondering what messed up thing they're going to do this year? They always do something...

Season 1: Have a white guy pee on a black man then have the black man killed by a 7 year old white girl. 
Season 2: Introduce a white woman who is bronzed up and wears a bindi as well as have a white girl wear dreads, kill a Nepalese (I think?) woman
Season 3: Kill an LGBT character very unceremoniously, kill a black man (who was also tortured A LOT over the years)

I'm sure there are more problematic things... But yeah. Yikes.

They briefly shown some black person that becomes a new Commander? But my thoughts are that they're gonna kill Miller's boyfriend off, since the actor is the main on another show, and Octavia are going to kill bunch of random people as well. I suspect Emori is not long for this world, as well as Luna.

I don't recall if this Searchers news was posted before, but the show sounds interesting...

The CW Buys Action Drama ‘Searchers’ From ‘The 100’ Creator & Greg Berlanti
by Nellie Andreeva •  October 25, 2016 5:08pm
http://deadline.com/2016/10/searchers-cw-action-drama-the-100-creator-jason-rothenberg-greg-berlanti-1201842759/

Written by Rothenberg, Searchers is about a group of unlikely heroes who find themselves on the journey of a lifetime. Ten years after the death of their parents, a pragmatic brother and free spirited sister are forced to team up when they learn that their mother’s terrifying and bizarre stories may be a road map to discovering the great legends, myths, and unexplainable mysteries of the world.
For Berlanti Prods., Searchers joins a host of other dramas sold this season. The company has two projects with pilot production commitments: the superhero-themed Black Lightning at Fox, written by Salim Akil & Mara Brock Akil, and Deception at ABC, written by Chris Fedak. At ABC, the company also has a put pilot commitment for drama Criminal, written by Blindspot‘s Martin Gero and Brendan Gall, and also is developing drama The Marquis, written by Jake Coburn and exec produced by Julie Plec. At the CW, Berlanti Prods. has drama Casa, penned by Ed Gonzalez & Jeremy Haft. In comedy, the company has Raised By Wolves, written by Diablo Cody, which has a script plus penalty commitment at ABC, and two half-hour projects at Fox, with Erin Foster and Marisa Coughlan. Berlanti and Rothenberg are repped by WME. Rothenberg also is repped by Morris Yorn.

6 hours ago, CooperTV said:

They briefly shown some black person that becomes a new Commander? But my thoughts are that they're gonna kill Miller's boyfriend off, since the actor is the main on another show, and Octavia are going to kill bunch of random people as well. I suspect Emori is not long for this world, as well as Luna.

I think a black person becoming a new Commander is great! 

IDK while I was watching the trailer I thought about the show's history and in retrospect, I never realized just how racist that show is... 

57 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

IDK while I was watching the trailer I thought about the show's history and in retrospect, I never realized just how racist that show is... 

The 100 desperately wants to pretend it's above all those real world concerns, such as racism or any form of unfortunate implications of any kind that they write in their scripts. Like viewers would forget Murphy pissed on black boy (as you mentioned above) and then later killed him, since Murphy is a hero now. Or the fact that they made a white girl abuse her black boyfriend and her black mentor and in the end her brother, who is also not white. Season 3 is basically two white saviours archetypes That Could Do No Wrong being portrayed as the last hope against the aggressive mass that was lead by Angry (and violent) Black Man.

I'm not even surprised JR was taken aback by the reaction to Dead Lesbian Trope. His show's dealing with race, privilege and minorities' issues is absolutely ignorant. I've no idea how anyone who try for diversity in their work can be so clueless.

Edited by CooperTV
  • Love 1

I personally don't notice problematic stuff on The 100. I did notice it on TVD, so it's not like I'm just 100% insensitive. I just applaud the show on thinking about Lexa as character first, lesbian second. Everybody dies on that show, Lexa's death was heavily foreshadowed like a season before it happened on screen. And she got to be a badass in the finale, too. As for Lincoln, eh, personally I was glad to see him gone, never liked him in the first place.

Re: Rogue One, I've just seen it yesterday, and it is honestly the best Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes Back. There were some flaws, of course (Saw Guerrera character, wasn't too impressed with Felicity Jones' acting, the CGI faces), but I was VERY impressed overall. Heartily recommend it to everyone.

51 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Isn't he basically a father figure?  I know he's old enough to be her father.  Didn't she think at one point he was? 

Regarding The Blacklist and "Lizzington" shipping, I quit watching toward the end of season two, but I've kind of casually been following along with what's been going on, I guess to see whether I ever want to bother catching up.  It seems like they keep back and forth on whether he really is her father or not. Last I heard, it sounded like he might actually be. 

So yeah, that's a good deal of why I have such an "ugh" reaction, but even if they aren't actually related, they still fall into that category for me, kind of like Buffy/Giles, which was another "oh hell no" ship for me.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2

FYI, interesting article on Funko...

How Funko grew into a $400-million-a-year Everett business
JIM DAVIS  Tue Dec 13th, 2016 7:34am
http://www.heraldnet.com/business/how-funko-grew-into-a-400-million-a-year-business/

Funko has licenses from so many content providers that it could make thousands of characters, probably more than it will ever produce, Robben said. That allows the company to make figures and products for niche groups of fans which might be small in terms of population but whose members are passionate about what they follow.

“We’re able to spread across a lot of different fandoms — there is something to collect for everybody,” Robben said. “There’s no way my dad would care about ‘Star Wars’ or Marvel, but he might be interested in one of the NFL figures that we make or he might think Ricky Bobby from ‘Talledega Nights’ is interesting and put that on his desk.”

To that end, the company really tries to engage its fan base, Robben said.

“If fans go to our Twitter feed or Facebook feed, we listen, we run polls we ask people what do you want to see? What are you interested in? We asked fans, do you want ‘Stranger Things’? And they said yes, that was a great show, we want Funko ‘Stranger Things’ figures. So we went and got the license,” Robben said.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, FurryFury said:

Everybody dies on that show, Lexa's death was heavily foreshadowed like a season before it happened on screen.

Regardless of the foreshadowing (which I agree about), the death itself was handled moronically because JR is a clueless and had no idea Dead Lesbian Trope exists.

The Lincoln situation is complicated.

A) BTS issue: the actor was bullied from his job by Jason Rothenberg and his screen-time was cut. He was supposed to be in season 3 until at least the end of the season.

B) Lincoln's death was essentially to further a white character's storyline and "angst", and due to point A, Lincoln's own story was cut in half.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, FurryFury said:

I personally don't notice problematic stuff on The 100. I did notice it on TVD, so it's not like I'm just 100% insensitive. I just applaud the show on thinking about Lexa as character first, lesbian second. Everybody dies on that show, Lexa's death was heavily foreshadowed like a season before it happened on screen. And she got to be a badass in the finale, too. As for Lincoln, eh, personally I was glad to see him gone, never liked him in the first place.

Re: Rogue One, I've just seen it yesterday, and it is honestly the best Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes Back. There were some flaws, of course (Saw Guerrera character, wasn't too impressed with Felicity Jones' acting, the CGI faces), but I was VERY impressed overall. Heartily recommend it to everyone.

I think you'd be surprised just how racist it is just by going through some blog posts... It's a LOT more than "they kill everyone"...

This blog puts it the best by just listing all the racist things the show has done - and you'll be surprised just by how extensive it is:

https://fandomshatepeopleofcolor.tumblr.com/post/119641183185/homolesbians-bellemy-blake
http://goldenheadfreckledheart.tumblr.com/post/128271515812/listen-i-usually-agree-with-your-opinions-but

This is also really good on showing that PoC don't get redemption arcs like the white people on the show:

https://comicsverse.com/insidious-racism-the-100/

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, wonderwall said:

I think you'd be surprised just how racist it is just by going through some blog posts... It's a LOT more than "they kill everyone"...

This blog puts it the best by just listing all the racist things the show has done - and you'll be surprised just by how extensive it is:

https://fandomshatepeopleofcolor.tumblr.com/post/119641183185/homolesbians-bellemy-blake
http://goldenheadfreckledheart.tumblr.com/post/128271515812/listen-i-usually-agree-with-your-opinions-but

This is also really good on showing that PoC don't get redemption arcs like the white people on the show:

https://comicsverse.com/insidious-racism-the-100/

*Shrugs* I just don't have the same sensitivity as you, guys. For me, race is just something I don't even notice unless there's something seriously wrong and obvious about its handling (like I noticed on TVD - not here, I think they have a very diverse cast, gender- and race-wise). Maybe that's just me not being from US or anywhere close. Our understanding and handling of race issues is quite different from yours.

Honestly, I'm just tired I cannot go into this forum's The 100 board without reading endless repetitive complaints that aren't even about the story itself (mostly). I still liked s3 and it's still probably one of my favorite shows out there.

• Love 1