Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

17 hours ago, EmilyBettFan said:

What's everyone wisdom teeth situation? I gotta book myself an appt with the dentist soon. This right top side is bugging the shit out of me! ??

I had my four out at the same time. Not impacted so no big deal. I took the pain meds for just a couple days cause I'm a wuss. My advice is this: get the pain meds even if you don't think you'll need them. The last thing you want is to need them when the pharmacy is closed. Aside from that just stretch your mouth a lot and you'll be fine. 

• Love 1

I had all 4 at the same time, i think only 1 was impacted. I was given an option on the drugs, local/topical, local with valium, or knocked out. I went with the middle option but the drugs started wearing off on the last tooth, that was painful. Thankfully they I was able to express that I was in pain and they gave me nore happy juice

I had all four impacted.  One was in such a bad place that they opted to leave it in for fear of compromising the adjacent nasal passage.  I didn't actually have any pain with any of them but my dentist explained that the older you are, the more chance of a problem and even more of a concern, the harder the recovery.  There was some nerve loss since one was wrapped around a root.  For the longest time I had a strip of numbness from the corner of my mouth down my chin.  The younger you are, the better the nerve regeneration.  I got back all the feeling except for a half inch on my lower lip.  

The surgery and the recovery were not a problem.  I had the knock out gas so it went quickly and took a day off work and then the weekend and was back to normal by Monday. Very little discomfort or bleeding, just that weird "hey stuff is really different in my mouth" thing plus the numbness.  

I had a friend my age, mid-thirties, that also got her impacted wisdom teeth out a year or so later and she had no nerve issues but since she didn't have insurance, saved some money by getting only a local to block the pain.  She DEEPLY regretted that. It didn't hurt too much but the amount of drilling and chipping at them was emotionally really rough and just having her mouth open that wide for so long left her jaw aching.  

So I wouldn't really worry about the surgery, do it as soon as you can, and take the knock out gas.  

Edited by BkWurm1
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I had all 4 at the same time, i think only 1 was impacted. I was given an option on the drugs, local/topical, local with valium, or knocked out. I went with the middle option but the drugs started wearing off on the last tooth, that was painful. Thankfully they I was able to express that I was in pain and they gave me nore happy juice

Even with the knockout gas, I did wake up once so I have a very clear memory of them talking about how my tooth was like chipping away at cement.  (Good to know all that milk drinking as a kid was good for something, lol)  They must have turned up the gas and I was back to dream land.  

@statsgirl In relation to your comment in the Universes thread I had to google what Bechdel was. Never realised there was a term for it!

I wonder if it's an age thing? Past a certain age you just don't bother discussing men anymore. Since you brought it up I've suddenly realised that my girlfriends and I have stopped discussing men for a while now! 

When I was 18 though!!!!! It was a big topic! 

• Love 1

I just buried the dog in my avatar. She was knifed. She was a sweet and gentle great pyrenees rescue. The dog that used to be on my avatar was also killed and was a Collie/Australian Shepard rescue. She was the most brilliant dog I have ever had.   I live out in the country on a ranch. I have called the sheriff's office. 

People are cruel. I am really devastated right now. My brothers are worried someone was casing the property and house. Sorry for venting I'm so pissed right now. I really loved them.

1 minute ago, BunsenBurner said:

I just buried the dog in my avatar. She was knifed. She was a sweet and gentle great pyrenees rescue. The dog that used to be on my avatar was also killed and was a Collie/Australian Shepard rescue. She was the most brilliant dog I have ever had.   I live out in the country on a ranch. I have called the sheriff's office. 

People are cruel. I am really devastated right now. My brothers are worried someone was casing the property and house. Sorry for venting I'm so pissed right now. I really loved them.

OMG I am so so so sorry. I don't know what to say to you. I cannot even begin to imagine what you must be feeling right now. I am a crazy dog lady in real life and I just want you to know that I am so very sorry. Big big big hugs to you. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, BunsenBurner said:

I am so sorry, and I think your brothers might be right.  Ask the Sheriff if they can send a patrol car by your house every once and awhile, just in case.  It's better for them to drive by and it be nothing, than for them not to drive by and there's a break in.  Considering your dog was murdered, I'm sure they'd do more drive byes in case it's something else.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, BunsenBurner said:

That's just sick, you must be such a horrible combination of furious, sad and concerned.  I am so very sorry for this terrible thing to have happened.  

• Love 1

Thank you to everyone who have left comments on my dogs.

These were working dogs. Trained to herd cattle but also be gentle around people. The older dog,T, taught the white one,SB, how it was done with a little help from me. They both would run the fence line each morning and most of the day. They protected me and the cattle from the various snakes, wild boars, wild dogs and scared people who I didn't want near me.  They also were excellent gopher dogs diving into the dirt to pull them out. I now have to start over again finding the right dogs with the proper temperment to be working dogs.

I like the rescue dogs because they have fewer health problems and just seem to be more even keeled and smarter. This will take a good 6-8 months before I'll feel comfortable with them being around the cows on their own. This is why I was so PO'd about SB she wasn't even 2 years old.

Thanks again. I won't post anymore on this. I appreciate you all.

• Love 4

@BunsenBurner it sounds like you've lost more than two pets, you've lost working partners.

If you ever feel up to talking about it, I'd like to hear about how you train your dogs.  I've read about herding dogs but I have no idea how you train them or what your relationship with them is like.

• Love 2

@BunsenBurner, I'm so very sorry. Talk about your dogs as much as you like.

I'm changing tracks fast here, but I've noticed a (new?) trend with books I've been reading this summer. It seems like a lot of them come with topics for book club discussions at the end. It really caught me off guard. Is this a new trend in publishing? I'm not sure I like it. It feels vaguely condescending, like readers are unable to come up with their own topics they wish to discuss. Also, there's an eau de homework to it.

• Love 5

Anyone looking for a pure fluffy guilty pleasure show to past the time. I highly recommend When Calls the Heart tv series. It's about a teacher who travels to a coal town that is recovery from a a tragedy that caused half the men in the town to die. I just started watching it and I really enjoy it mainly because despite its Edwardian era setting it's about empowering women and because the main relationship on the show between the protagonist Elizabeth and her Canadian mounty sidekick Jack is like Anne and Gilbert levels of OTP if not slightly better. It's very saccharine like most Hallmark shows but if you aren't too jaded and can look past that aspect of the show the characters more then make up for it imo especially the opposites attract butting of heads between Elizabeth and Jack.

Edited by LeighAn
12 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Is that the one where SA played the Mountie in the pilot episode?

Umm I'm not sure. I'm up to episode 4 and I haven't seen Stephen show up yet but he may appear later on. It is a Canadian show so it's possible. 

SA isn't in the show, he did a tv movie based on the book before the series started.

I only started watching the show, I'll be honest, because I think Daniel Lissing is adorable.  It is pretty darned saccharine, even by Hallmark standards, but his chemistry with Erin Krakow is just so lovely.  Jack and Elizabeth really are at their best when the writers just let them be flirty and sweet and falling in love. 

Spoiler

The 2nd season (I think?), when Elizabeth goes back home to visit and ends up in a sort of triangle was a bit of a slog to get through.  She was away from the action in Coal Valley for way too long, imo and everybody who's every watched tv ever knew she wasn't going to end up with Whatever His Name Was (no idea). 

Also, word of warning for those who bothered by historical inaccuracy.   The ladies hairstyles devolve into modern styles to a nearly distracting degree.  It's weird, like they don't even try, at times.  Costumes, too, are a bit on the wonky side.  I mean, it's Hallmark, not a big cable production, but it can get kind of annoying (if that thing bothers you). 

But it's fairly harmless fluff.  And the romance between Jack and Elizabeth is really lovely, imo. 

Spoiler

I'm really curious about Daniel Lissing's continued status on the show, though.  I know he's scheduled to be in the Christmas movie, but his absence for much of the last season was downright weird, imo. 

Edited by JenMD
19 hours ago, bijoux said:

@BunsenBurner, I'm so very sorry. Talk about your dogs as much as you like.

I'm changing tracks fast here, but I've noticed a (new?) trend with books I've been reading this summer. It seems like a lot of them come with topics for book club discussions at the end. It really caught me off guard. Is this a new trend in publishing? I'm not sure I like it. It feels vaguely condescending, like readers are unable to come up with their own topics they wish to discuss. Also, there's an eau de homework to it.

I've found that there are two types of groups tend to use the book club guides.  The first are the giant ones run by libraries and bookstores, where the bookclubs are almost drop in--in any month you might have twenty or you might have fifty, and the questions ensure that every member feels like they can participate in the discussion.  The other book clubs that enjoy them are the super drunk ones, where the readers are there for socializing and may or may not have read the book.

• Love 2
On 25/08/2017 at 0:16 PM, BunsenBurner said:

I just notice this. I'm very sorry for your loss. I've only gotten my first dog a couple of years ago and I'd be devastated if something like that happened to her. Hugs.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, JenMD said:

SA isn't in the show, he did a tv movie based on the book before the series started.

When Calls the Heart Movie (2013) - Maggie Grace, Stephen Amell

(posted by Diario Twilight)

• Love 1

Who is the moderator from Houston? Just wondering since Harvey must be having and effect on her. My brother and his pregnant wife showed up at my door yesterday along with 2 cousins from Houston.  

Anyway I just wanted her to know that I'm thinking of her.  Thanks for your your help.

40 minutes ago, BunsenBurner said:

Who is the moderator from Houston? Just wondering since Harvey must be having and effect on her. My brother and his pregnant wife showed up at my door yesterday along with 2 cousins from Houston.  

Anyway I just wanted her to know that I'm thinking of her.  Thanks for your your help.

I think it's @kariyaki. I hope she's doing well. And I'm glad that you are!

• Love 1

Thanks @BunsenBurner and @apinknightmare! I'm… okay. My house is an island. I was in the southeast part of the Houston area that got about 30" of rain overnight. The water got riiiiight up to the edge of my front door but didn't come in. I'm stuck here but I have provisions, power, cable and internet so I'm much luckier than a lot of people. Just hunkering down until the water drains. 

• Love 15

It did go down. It's off my porch and down just to the front walkway. More rain is coming, but it won't be 30" at once, so I think it'll hold.

My neighbor took this pic of my house:

IMG_2845.thumb.JPG.a12517c0a8bcd7388430700199b01690.JPG

• Love 8

Glad to hear it!

Eons ago when I was a kid 11 inches of rain fell.  People got trapped overnight in malls, people went swimming in highways, six feet of rain flooded our basement and elsewhere in the city, the sewers backed up through toilets to even higher levels.  I can't imagine how you are coping with 30'.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

@KARIYAKI I'm glad to hear that you are okay!

I'm sorry that the Rangers wouldn't change games sites with the Astros. (Hangs my head in shame.)

I see that Harvey is making it's way back to the Gulf of Mexico for the 3rd time. I hope Louisiana fares better than Texas.

Just finished Jessica Jones and found it very good. Loved Jessica and Trishs friendship! Best relationship on the show plus also really liked Malcolm..David Tennant was amazing as the creepy scary Kilgrave. Bring on Season 2!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, jay741982 said:

David Tennant was amazing as the creepy scary Kilgrave.

Kilgrave was straight up nightmare fuel.  He's by far been the best Marvel villain on the small screen.

Watch The Defenders if you haven't, Jessica steals the show, and Danny was a hell of a lot more enjoyable in it than on Iron Fist.

So quiet on this forum these days! I leave you with a pic of my interpretation of a tiramisu cake, one of the few coffee products I consume. Excuse the missing coffee balls in the bottom row. I forgot to count how many I had before I went ahead with the decorating.

tumblr_ovg6nfUtm21w82zyqo1_1280.jpg

• Love 12

Still good. The flooding went down almost all the way yesterday, but new rain has brought it back up to about halfway up the lawn.

14 hours ago, BunsenBurner said:

I'm sorry that the Rangers wouldn't change games sites with the Astros. (Hangs my head in shame.)

I'm sure that had more to do with the likelihood of rain at the Rangers' stadium. Astros are apparently using Tropicana stadium as a home field for now while the Rays are on away games. 

I just saw that the Rangers had been asked to switch home and away series, but they refused. Good thing I already hated that team.

Edited by kariyaki
Stupid Rangers
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

So quiet on this forum these days! I leave you with a pic of my interpretation of a tiramisu cake, one of the few coffee products I consume. Excuse the missing coffee balls in the bottom row. I forgot to count how many I had before I went ahead with the decorating.

lovely cake!  I've been hanging on the defender's forum due to the quiet,  however that's pretty dead too.  Which is either due to the nature of binge watching or because it was so meh,  I haven't been able to figure that out. 

I guess summers just a rough time for the tv forum community. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Wow!

• Love 4

I want some of that cake.  Like right now!

How do you have the patience for all the decorating?  The little volcanoes and the almond flakes all around?

(I deserve a slice, yes I do. I've been trying to finish an on-line course. I don't remember learning to be this hard when I was 19.)

@Mellowyellow that cake is just gorgeous!  Looks completely professional.  Even after you pointed out the missing decorations I still had to search to see what you were talking about.  You've said you liked baking but wow!  I'm impressed.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3

@BkWurm1 Thanks!!! I am a fair few years older than the Lil Sis so for years I was responsible for baking her 2 birthday cakes every year. I've had a lot of practice!

@statsgirl Come to Sydney and I'll bake you your favourite cake!!!!!! The decorating actually only takes about an hour all up and that includes toasting and cooling the nuts, whipping and flavouring the mascarpone cream, dividing the cake into 3 layers, assembling the cake, piping. Those volcano things are just straight from a piping nozzle! 2 mins at most to get a ring of piping!

Good luck with your course! Hubby did some research with other parents and discovered that the way they teach kids maths has changed significantly. He's now looking into seeing what course/s he can do so he can prep himself for when the kidlet hits school. I'm like "Can we not just hire someone darling?"

I cannot study ever again! I actually feel so sorry for the kidlet having to go through the entire process of school, high school, university! hehe I prefer "Adulting" to schooling! 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Jediknight said:

Kilgrave was straight up nightmare fuel.  He's by far been the best Marvel villain on the small screen.

Watch The Defenders if you haven't, Jessica steals the show, and Danny was a hell of a lot more enjoyable in it than on Iron Fist.

I'm on Season 2 of DareDevil and just started Luke Cage. Definitely plan on seeing Defenders and yes Iron Fist.