Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys seen anything yet?

We booked flights to Cairns when it came our way but we were too ambitious! We didn't realise how hellish it was to raise a newborn. Thought we'd just rock up on a flight like the old days! So we cancelled! Boo!

Edited by Mellowyellow
17 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

But mint in any other form as a flavouring reminds me of toothpaste and chewing gum. I kept thinking "Why is my ice cream minty like toothpaste?"

That's probably a good part of why I'm not fond of it.  I do associate it with toothpaste. Lol.

There was this one time, though, when I was a kid.  I went over to a neighbor girl's house for a birthday party.  She must have loooooved peppermint, because everything was peppermint. The cake was peppermint, the icing was peppermint, the ice cream was peppermint.  

To this day, even some 30 years later, I give a hard side eye to any unfamiliar pink foods! :) Lol.

2 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

That's probably a good part of why I'm not fond of it.  I do associate it with toothpaste. Lol.

There was this one time, though, when I was a kid.  I went over to a neighbor girl's house for a birthday party.  She must have loooooved peppermint, because everything was peppermint. The cake was peppermint, the icing was peppermint, the ice cream was peppermint.  

To this day, even some 30 years later, I give a hard side eye to any unfamiliar pink foods! :) Lol.

Why was the mint coloured pink???!!!!! At least have the decency to colour it green as a warning!

I think my only exposure to real mint is in Majito's and grabbing a sprig to chew fresh from the garden.  Otherwise fake sweet, mild, mint is all over the place.  Free hard candy at restaurants (sometimes lovely little chocolate dinner mints.)  Soft almost powdery but melty dinner mints.  Sweet chip shaped mints with little tiny white candies sticking to them in pastel colors.  Candy Canes.  Peppermint Patties. Gum sure, but one of my favorite flavors is Bubblemint (half mint half Pink Bubble Gum).  I think maybe we're just trained to it as a candy or a treat here.  Especially in Girl Scout Cookie season, lol.  

5 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Why was the mint coloured pink???!!!!! At least have the decency to colour it green as a warning!

Green is spearmint.  Or lime.  Or Green Apple.  Mmm.  Green Apple.  What're your feelings on Jolly Ranchers?  

Edited by BkWurm1
14 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Noooo

You so just made that up!!!!

Here it is, lol. It's my favorite thing to get at Starbucks during the holidays, although I've had to leave out the whipped cream and ask for soy milk and the sugar-free peppermint syrup because I don't want to end up resembling Santa Claus by the time Christmas is over.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Hahaha! :) Well peppermint flavor is usually pink I think.  Other flavors of mint are green.

8 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

But what winter holiday coffee concoction do you drink if not peppermint mochas? 

*cringes*  Actually.....true confession time here, I don't drink coffee.  I don't know. Just never got used to the flavor somehow, though admittedly I haven't tried all that hard.  I should - I'm sure it'd better for me than the energy drinks I'm addicted to, but....there it is.  My winter hot drink is just regular old fashioned hot chocolate.

5 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Mmmm. Green Apple.  What're your feelings on Jolly Ranchers?  

The cherry is my favorite flavor, but I like the Green Apple.  

2 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Nope, lol.  Peppermint and the Holidays is kind of synonymous.  

It is, that's true.  Peppermint candy canes and all that.  I just avoid it myself. :)

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

We booked flights to Cairns when it came our way but we were too ambitious! We didn't realise how hellish it was to raise a newborn. Thought we'd just rock up on a flight like the old days! So we cancelled! Boo!

I watched it all on TV since it was heavy clouds and only a partial view of the eclipse where I was anyway. But the path for a full eclipse went from the West Coast to the East Coast so it was a big deal mid day today.   

I like mint tea when it's real mint and not fake flavouring.

The Body Shoppe used to have pink peppermint foot cream that I loved.  Now they've changed it to a green colour and I swear it doesn't work as well.

1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

There was a myth in graduate school that it's a good time to have a baby because you can write your papers while the baby sleeps. Hah!

I was too late to buy the right glasses (I found out about a place at the other end of the city that still had them but it was too far away) so I tried to make a pinhole camera.  Halfheartedly. We only had it at 80% coverage here so I don't regret it too much. I'll be better prepared for 2024.

They were giving out glasses at the Science Centre, one pair per family and ran out early in the day.

• Love 1

*cringes*  Actually.....true confession time here, I don't drink coffee.  I don't know. Just never got used to the flavor somehow, though admittedly I haven't tried all that hard.  I should - I'm sure it'd better for me than the energy drinks I'm addicted to, but....there it is.  My winter hot drink is just regular old fashioned hot chocolate.

High Five!  I don't like coffee either.  :D  The only way I drink it involves so much cream and powdered hot chocolate packages that I don't think it counts as coffee anymore, lol.  

Hot chocolate is highly underrated.  So is MINT Hot Chocolate.  Or with Mint Schnapps.  Mmm.  

Cherry Jolly Ranchers are awesome.  I like watermelon too.  Though not a fan of real watermelon (I was disappointed it didn't taste like Jolly Ranchers)  

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

It's definitely an acquired taste, although the stuff that Starbucks offers has so much sugar and flavorings it could barely be considered coffee, lol. 

I used to love hot chocolate when I could still drink dairy. It's not quite the same with almond and soy milk, sadly.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

High Five!  I don't like coffee either.  :D  The only way I drink it involves so much cream and powdered hot chocolate packages that I don't think it counts as coffee anymore, lol.  

Hot chocolate is highly underrated.  So is MINT Hot Chocolate.  Or with Mint Schnapps.  Mmm.  

Cherry Jolly Ranchers are awesome.  I like watermelon too.  Though not a fan of real watermelon (I was disappointed it didn't taste like Jolly Ranchers)  

Hahaha you just had to throw that in there didn't you? :)   I do love regular hot chocolate though.

Yeah I like the watermelon flavor - it's probably my 2nd favorite to the cherry flavor.  I'm a big fan of real watermelon too though, especially when it's hot! 

1 minute ago, lemotomato said:

I used to love hot chocolate when I could still drink dairy. It's not quite the same with almond and soy milk, sadly.

Oh I bet that's true. :(  Ugh I'm sorry!  

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Hahah me neither!!!! The only coffee thing I consume is tiramisu and I make mocha cupcakes!  

Hot choccy fan here too!!!!!

Coffee is too bitter for me! Even if I put a tonne of sugar in it I always think "Hmm Hot choccy is better."

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Mellowyellow said:

Coffee is too bitter for me! Even if I put a tonne of sugar in it I always think "Hmm Hot choccy is better."

Yep! I think that's my problem. :) I always expect the coffee to taste like hot chocolate and it never does!  Lol !

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

There was a myth in graduate school that it's a good time to have a baby because you can write your papers while the baby sleeps. Hah!

haha I burst into tears on our first family holiday when we were stuck in a hotel on the first night with a wailing 6 month old! I was like "Ruined babe! Our lives are ruined! We will never enjoy holidays again!"

@lemotomato are you one of those poor people who suddenly became lactose intolerant? A few of my friends are like that! They have to drink soy hot chocs poor things! I looooove dairy! LOOOOOOOOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't know how I'd cope without it! 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Yep! I think that's my problem. :) I always expect the coffee to taste like hot chocolate and it never does!  Lol !

And it often smells so good.  Why can't it taste as good as it smells?  

I'm a big fan of real watermelon too though, especially when it's hot! 

Hot watermelon, is that a normal thing?  

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

@lemotomato are you one of those poor people who suddenly became lactose intolerant? A few of my friends are like that! They have to drink soy hot chocs poor things! I looooove dairy! LOOOOOOOOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't know how I'd cope without it! 

I am one of those unfortunate people! I used to drink a lot of milk when I was a kid, but started having issues as a teen. I'm not 100% intolerant; I can eat hard cheeses like cheddar and parm and greek yogurt, which have less lactose than stuff like milk and ice cream. 

6 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Hahahaha oh sorry.  I meant hot outside. Cold watermelon, hot weather. :)

Oh!  Oops. Duh!  

3 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

I am one of those unfortunate people! I used to drink a lot of milk when I was a kid, but started having issues as a teen. I'm not 100% intolerant; I can eat hard cheeses like cheddar and parm and greek yogurt, which have less lactose than stuff like milk and ice cream. 

What about those lactaid products?  Ever tried them?  Do they work?  I've always wondered.  

Just now, BkWurm1 said:

What about those lactaid products?  Ever tried them?  Do they work?  I've always wondered.

For me, they work up to a certain point, like good for a slice of pizza, but not for a big ice cream sundae. It basically depends on how much extra enzyme the lactaid pill provides vs how much lactose is consumed in that meal.

• Love 1

I've always wondered whether the solution to avoid getting these intolerances is to drink a lot of dairy or cut it down. 

Same with allergies. I give the kid random nuts every week so he will not develop an allergy but over exposure causes it too apparently.

• Love 1

There's some research out not too long ago that says to introduce peanuts to children at 12 months to avoid allergies.  18 months is too late.

I love coffee.  A cappuccino first thing makes my morning better.  (I make it at home using a hand mixer and skim milk.)

• Love 2

I rock up to the Nespresso store and buy sticks and sticks of the pods. They always try to talk me into something new and I'm like "Sorry on an errand for the husband, don't drink the stuff, just buying what I'm told to buy."

ETA: I've convinced hubby to have his coffee like the viets! With condensed milk! 

Edited by Mellowyellow

I'm gonna get snooty European here, but Starbuck's does not serve coffee. I tried it once and nope, that's just liquid sugar IMO. I did like their tea though.

I also noticed a thing with milk and dairy not long ago. Tried to supplement the milk in my coffee with rice milk and some other sorts, finally ended up chucking it out altogether. And ice cream went out the window by and large, I buy the lacotse free version now and then. I used to be a really big dairy person -at least a cup of milk and/or yoghurt a day, but it's not that much of a burden really.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Anyone into ladies Figure Skating?

All this talk of the Winter Olympics is revving me up. I looooooove watching figure skating!

I enjoy watching figure skating too, but I haven't gotten to do it for years since I'm a cord-cutter.  The Olympics are the only time I regret that. :(

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I enjoy watching figure skating too, but I haven't gotten to do it for years since I'm a cord-cutter.  The Olympics are the only time I regret that. :(

If Playstation Vue or SlingTV are available where you live, I highly recommend them. They're basically month-to-month cable subscriptions, so you can just pay for it while the Olympics are on and cancel afterwards. 

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

If Playstation Vue or SlingTV are available where you live, I highly recommend them. They're basically month-to-month cable subscriptions, so you can just pay for it while the Olympics are on and cancel afterwards. 

Thanks! I'll look into that.

2 hours ago, lemotomato said:

What kind of prices are we talking?

I have SlingTV. They have different package options. 20 or 25 a month.

Between Sling, Netflix and Hulu I pay less than 40 a month for TV.

And I basically get everything I want.

Edited by Chaser
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Chaser said:

I have SlingTV. They have different package options. 20 or 25 a month.

Between Sling, Netflix and Hulu I pay less than 40 a month for TV.

And I basically get everything I want.

Cool!

I've had Playstation Vue and I'm trying SlingTV now. I got them primarily for sports, and I think that Vue offers more sports channels when you buy the middle tier package for $45/month vs SlingTV, which costs about $35/month after adding the sports package. I like them because I can cancel any time I want instead of being locked into a one year contract with cable providers. 

• Love 1

We had Sling for a while, but weren't happy with the buffering.  We recently switched to Hulu Live, which has pretty much the same thing as Sling, but includes Hulu (it's about the same price as the biggest Sling package, but since we had Hulu in addition to Sling, switching to Hulu Live ended up being cheaper) and it works FAR better for us.

We also invested in a couple HD Antennas, which get us the local channels and no cost, other than the antennas (which I believe were about $15 each).

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

What kind of prices are we talking?

I've got Vue at the lowest tier and pay $40 a month and am quite happy with it other than it not having the CW. For the Rio Summer Games there were 3 or 4 additional Olympic channels added besides regular NBC. I've never had a problem with buffering except for one single time - during the airing of the Dirty Dancing remake. I figured it was a sign. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Boo it's almost midnight here and my pies just came out of the oven. They're not going to cool on time and I want pie so badly ?

Pie soup.  I've had that when I've been too impatient.  Not so bad, lol.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Pie soup.  I've had that when I've been too impatient.  Not so bad, lol.

I'm so tired!!!! Had to wait for them to cool so I could freeze some of them too. We ended up eating some at 1am. Dying right now! Drowning myself in lots of black tea to stay awake!

• Love 1

It's pretty normal to have wisdom teeth removed.  I've had two taken out and it wasn't so bad. _( Two more to go, just not yet. ) Just have someone there to drive you home because the pain meds are powerful.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, EmilyBettFan said:

What's everyone wisdom teeth situation? I gotta book myself an appt with the dentist soon. This right top side is bugging the shit out of me! ??

If you do get them removed, make sure that if they give you gauze or suggest teabags to reduce bleeding, you actually bite down on them and don't just stick them in your mouth and then wonder why it's not working. (or so I've heard...) 

I also ended up only taking OTC Tylenol because the prescribed opiod painkillers didn't agree with me and that was fine. 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, EmilyBettFan said:

Thanks you two. Made me feel slightly better. I think I might have a phobia ? 

Are they going to give you twilight sedation? You won't remember anything so in some ways it's better than a typical dental procedure. 

9 hours ago, EmilyBettFan said:

What's everyone wisdom teeth situation? I gotta book myself an appt with the dentist soon. This right top side is bugging the shit out of me! ??

I had mine taken out a few years ago - I had 3 fully grown in, and one impacted that's still in there. I didn't have any sedation or anything and it wasn't bad at all - the top two took about a minute or so each with minor pulling. The bottom one took a little longer with more rigorous pulling, haha. The pain meds worked okay - at most I remember my gums stinging. 

16 hours ago, EmilyBettFan said:

My wisdom teeth are all gone. Dentist took all 4 out, 2 at a time, when I was a teen before he put my braces in. He said that my teeth were too big and my gums too small for all of them to fit in there. Definitely bite down on the gauze to reduce the bleeding, though. It was kinda weird and only very slightly painful (thanks to the local anesthesia), but not enough that I had to take any painkillers. Then again, I've been told I have a very high tolerance for pain. I just ate lots of ice cream to numb my gums after.