Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I always think those kids things that go around the internet are fake! 

NASA wrote and told him to keep studying and apply back in the future and the article mentioned who did get the job the kid was applying for so I think this time it was real, but you're instincts are pretty sound under most circumstances.   

Grrrrrrrrr stuck waiting for a delayed train right now! Raging!!!!!!!!!

Just curious is there any part of your city that is not drivable? As it the roads are all blocked or sealed off and it is difficult to park?

I couldn't drive if I wanted to today because they are building tramlines in the CBD and so there are no longer any roads to drive on! Very pissed! Bloody Sydney! 

1 minute ago, Mellowyellow said:

Grrrrrrrrr stuck waiting for a delayed train right now! Raging!!!!!!!!!

Just curious is there any part of your city that is not drivable? As it the roads are all blocked or sealed off and it is difficult to park?

I couldn't drive if I wanted to today because they are building tramlines in the CBD and so there are no longer any roads to drive on! Very pissed! Bloody Sydney! 

I once made a wrong turn driving in San Francisco and ended up in the Financial District around 3 on a weekday afternoon. The traffic was so bad it took me 1.5 hours to go 2 blocks because that's how far I had to go to be able to turn onto a crosstreet and get the hell out. 

Avoid driving near the Financial District/Downtown in SF, is all I'm saying.

• Love 2

What kind of coffee pods do you use?  Here the only kind that can be recycled are Nespresso who will take their own back to recycle.  It's gotten so bad that the man who invented Keurig and set off the whole train regrets he ever did it.

It's said that we have two seasons here -- winter and road repair.   (It's made worse because our winter temperatures hover around the freezing mark so the asphalt expands and contracts. Cities where it really, really cold old winter like Edmonton or Winnipeg fare better.)  Whatever route I take, there are construction trucks slowing me down.

Our rush hour traffic is insane these days.  I used to go downtown for a meeting at 6. When I started five years ago, I could leave at 5:30 and get there comfortably; now if I'm not on the road by 5 I'll be late.  On the subways, you don't have to worry about finding a strap to hang on to, your fellow travellers will keep you upright.  Among the people I blame are the mayors and city leaders of the '60s and '70s when there was money to build more subways but they didn't.  Now we desperately need better transit and there's no money for it.

Our main downtown is about 5 km square and it's pretty easy to walk about there.  The place I take my Nespresso pods is very central.  In the summer, they often close some streets to traffic so they become just pedestrian walkways.  The problem is getting downtown.

So many times the police in the news are about something bad.  This story is about a policeman who was called for a case of shoplifting. He thought it was strange that the young man was taking a shirt, tie and socks and asked him about it.  The 18 year old was ashamed he had been arrested and said that he took the clothes because he was going to a job interview because his father fell ill had lost his job and the kid needed to help his family out but he didn't have any clothes good enough for the interview.  When the young man was released he found that the policeman had bought him the shirt and tie and left them for him.  He made the job interview, and he got the job.

• Love 5

Unrelated to anything being discussed, but The First Wives Club is a classic and screw the studio for not supporting the film or a sequel.

...I'm currently at the DONT TELL ME WHAT TO DO part. I love this movie. 

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Unrelated to anything being discussed, but The First Wives Club is a classic and screw the studio for not supporting the film or a sequel.

Loved the movie and loved the book!

49 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I had no idea there was even talk of a sequel. I loved the movie, not sure a sequel would have worked. 

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I loved the movie, not sure a sequel would have worked. 

Same here.  The conflict was about the women being dismissed by their ex-husbands.  Once that was resolved and the exes learned their mistakes, the story was wrapped up.

I am such a big fan of Don't Tell Me What To Do.

Another Berlanti production gets a pilot commitment...

White House Political Drama From Berlanti Prods. Gets NBC Put Pilot Commitment
by Nellie Andreeva •  August 14, 2017 
http://deadline.com/2017/08/republic-white-house-political-drama-republican-president-greg-berlanti-nbc-put-pilot-commitment-1202148330/

In a competitive situation, NBC, the network that aired the Emmy-winning The West Wing, has landed Republic, a White House drama from the Blindspot team of co-executive producer Alex Berger, creator/exec producer Martin Gero and Greg Berlanti’s Berlanti Prods. and Warner Bros. TV, which produce the NBC series. Republic has received a put pilot commitment from the network.
Republic is described as “a hopeful political drama,” which follows the newly minted female Chief of Staff to a moderate Republican president. With their administration in dire crisis, they find themselves under fire from extremists on both sides, defending their well-intentioned actions both politically and legally.
Once again, some of WBTV’s high-profile projects are expected to go through the studio-based Berlanti Prods., which has a whopping 10 series on the air. Gero’s Quinn’s House is shaping up as a Berlanti Prods.-associated pod that also is expected to be prolific this selling season. The two companies last season delivered the only new drama series order for WBTV outside of the CW, Deception at ABC.

Edited by tv echo
3 hours ago, tv echo said:

Another Berlanti production gets a pilot commitment...

White House Political Drama From Berlanti Prods. Gets NBC Put Pilot Commitment
by Nellie Andreeva •  August 14, 2017 
http://deadline.com/2017/08/republic-white-house-political-drama-republican-president-greg-berlanti-nbc-put-pilot-commitment-1202148330/

Political Animals is my favourite Berlanti show, aside from Arrow, and Martin Gero was an EP on Stargate: Atlantis and L.A. Complex so I'll definitely give this a look. I'm kind of side-eyeing the Republican president but maybe it's their version of a fix-it fic.

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Political Animals is my favourite Berlanti show, aside from Arrow, and Martin Gero was an EP on Stargate: Atlantis and L.A. Complex so I'll definitely give this a look. I'm kind of side-eyeing the Republican president but maybe it's their version of a fix-it fic.

I don't think I knew Berlanti did Political Animals.  Liked that show a lot. Went off the air too soon.  

My version of watching trash tv is cheesy romantic Hallmark movies, lol.  (Or the equivalent)  It's amazing how awkward two people trying to act flirty is when it's clear they have no history or connection to this person.  So forced and painful.  I can't help compare them to SA and EBR on and off screen.  I'm not a Stemily shipper but there's no denying they enjoy each other's company.  

Other pet peeve on the movie I just finished (My Gal Sunday) is how they felt the need to say the main characters' names like in every other sentence for the half hour.  No, I do not use someone's name when we are the only two people in the room unless I first have to get their attention.  People don't talk like that.     

• Love 4
7 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

My version of watching trash tv is cheesy romantic Hallmark movies, lol.  (Or the equivalent)  It's amazing how awkward two people trying to act flirty is when it's clear they have no history or connection to this person.  So forced and painful.  I can't help compare them to SA and EBR on and off screen.  I'm not a Stemily shipper but there's no denying they enjoy each other's company.  

Other pet peeve on the movie I just finished (My Gal Sunday) is how they felt the need to say the main characters' names like in every other sentence for the half hour.  No, I do not use someone's name when we are the only two people in the room unless I first have to get their attention.  People don't talk like that.     

The only thing I love more than a Hallmark movie, is a Christmas Hallmark movie!  My sister in law and I have been thinking about starting up a podcast breaking them down.  So much fun!  Categories like "Vancouver is playing what town?" and "Where have I seen this person before?" and "I'm supposed to believe what again?"

• Love 9

@Kymmi, I'd listen to that!

Katrina Law has been in a couple of Christmas movies, The 12 Gifts of Christmas and Snow Bride.

11 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Is it like a Mills and Boon romance?

Yes.  But Mills & Boon are called Harlequin romances here.  Harlequin took over Mills & Boon in 1971.  Harlequin started making TV movies in the 1980s.

I find my enjoyment of the movies really depends on the quality of the acting, writing and directing.  Sometimes it's a good writer/actor/director slumming for money and the film can be quite enjoyable.  I fondly remember  Champagne for Two, with Nicholas Campbell (Da Vinci's Inquest) and Kirsten Bishop (West Wing etc.) and directed by Lewis Furey.  But too often they can be pretty bad, especially when the movie is sold based on a US actor who isn't all that good but has a name. Emily Kinney (Brie Larvin) did one that was pretty bad.  She's better in a smaller role.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Do any of them hit the nail on the head and have great chemistry?

I should look into these! I have never seen one! Is it like a Mills and Boon romance?

It's hit or miss, lol.  I've enjoyed some of the serialized cozy mysteries they've been pumping out lately.

2 hours ago, lemotomato said:

My biggest pet peeve with Netflix is that they don't have a whole lot of Hallmark movies available. I love the cheesiness, but I don't want to pay for cable to get it.

Me either but it's a free bonus channel from my dish provider this month. :D

2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Yes.  But Mills & Boon are called Harlequin romances here.  Harlequin took over Mills & Boon in 1971.  Harlequin started making TV movies in the 1980s.

Ha! I'd always wondered why I'd never seen these infamous Boon & Mills before.  

8 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Ha! I'd always wondered why I'd never seen these infamous Boon & Mills before.  

I didn't realize they were actually the same company.  I'd seen references to Mills & Boon in fanfics written by British writers, and figured they were the British equivalent of Harlequin, but I didn't know it was actually the same publisher. 

And I didn't know Harlequin made TV movies either.  So I guess I've learned two things today. Lol.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1

They are the same books by many of the same writers but they're called Mills & Boon in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, the Philippines, India and maybe some other countries, and Harlequin in the US and Canada (I looked it up).  With e-books being so cheap to put out, these days they put out a hundred e-books a month.  I'm guessing some of them are pretty bad.

When I was a teenager, my cousin was an editor for Harlequin and she'd give us books occasionally. Possibly that's what started my addiction to fanfic.

18 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

And I didn't know Harlequin made TV movies either.

I think the movies being discussed are the ones that air on the Hallmark Channel, but they're not related to Harlequins.  I haven't read a Harlequin for ages, but I'd say the movies Hallmark airs are much, much tamer and more fluffy; they're usually all rated G and the majority will end with the couple just getting together, overcoming a misunderstanding keeping them apart in the last 5 minutes of the movie.  If you manage to get a couple with chemistry and actors who can act, you can usually overlook the sparse plot but they make so many these days that it's much more rare, imo, to get something really special.   I really wish they'd do fewer of better quality.

• Love 1

Yeah, the current Hallmark movies aren't made by Harlequin but they're very similar.  I think Harlequin stopped in the 90s but they set the template (IMO) for the current Hallmark movies.  They were pretty tame -- you got a suggestion of sex when the couple finally got together but nothing really racy.

I've seen some I really like but it's hard to remember specific ones.  (Does Borrowed Hearts count?  It's got Eric McCormick, Roma Downey and Hector Elizondo, directed by Ted Kotcheff, one of my favourite Christmas movies.) 

If the acting is good, I don't mind if the story is bad but too often the acting is pretty bad.   If nothing else, they provide a lot a work for the people who work on the movies.

• Love 1

Oh, I adore "Borrowed Hearts".  It used to be in rotation on Lifetime, I think, for a while around Christmas but it's been hard to find for a few years now.  I caught it on one of the pay cable channels (Starz, maybe?) in the last few years, which was random.  I wish more of the older tv movies like that one would pop up more often.

Edited by JenMD
  • Love 1

IIRC, John Barrowman is also part of the "Troublemakers" team (there's a lot more to this interview that I didn't quote)...

As Charisma Carpenter and Julie Benz Brace to Do Battle, BFFs Talk Dunk Tank Fears, Female Unity and Angel Bites
By Matt Webb Mitovich / August 16 2017, 12:30 PM PDT
http://tvline.com/2017/08/16/charisma-carpenter-julie-benz-interview-battle-network-stars-angel/

ABC’s Battle of the Network Stars will be touched by Angel when both Charisma Carpenter and Julie Benz have field days on the rebooted competition series.

The Buffyverse alumni will not find themselves on opposite ends of a tug-of-war — Carpenter is part of the “Sci-Fi/Fantasy” team aiming to collar “TV Cops” this Thursday at 9/8c, while Benz is among the “Troublemakers” looking to sink “Lifeguards” on the Sept. 7 edition.
TVLINE | So, for how long have the two of you been friends?
JULIE |
I was in Buffy‘s pilot episode. Day 1.
CHARISMA | So we go back. That was in ’96, right? But I don’t think we got close until Angel.
JULIE | Yeah, it wasn’t until later that we got close. It was Season 2 [of Angel] when I was on a lot
CHARISMA | —when you were crocheting.
JULIE | I was knitting, not crocheting. And yes.
CHARISMA | For our friendship, you sealed the knot when you made me a scarf. I still have it! This little red scarf with a little label that said “Made by Julie Benz.”
TVLINE | Charisma, you were a part of EW’s Buffy reunion earlier this year. What kind of feelings did that stir, and what was the consensus on whether there might be a revival series or TV-movie some day?
CHARISMA |
I was really pleased to see everyone just be so open and warm. I didn’t expect that, I really didn’t. I didn’t know what to expect. It’s been so long and I had my own anxieties about seeing people I hadn’t seen in a long time, like my old boss [Joss Whedon]. Like, I wanted to be received well, so I had anxieties about that. It’d been a long time. But it was so fantastic and warm and beautiful, and everyone was genuinely happy to be in each other’s company, I felt. So it was awesome.
The second part of that answer is there will not be a reunion. A reunion show? No. There will never be that. Based on the interviews and the points of view of Joss and of Sarah [Michelle Gellar]. There’s no Buffy without those two.
TVLINE | What advice would you give to a young actress who right now might be debating doing a genre-TV show?
JULIE |
Do it! I love working in genre shows. As an actor, I find it’s more challenging. The circumstances are more extreme, and that really challenges you from a creative standpoint. Playing a 400-year-old vampire is not like playing the love interest of somebody. You are playing on a whole different level of creativity. I love the creativity that goes into creating the worlds that genre shows exist in, from all departments. It’s inspiring, it’s challenging, it’s exhausting, but at the end of every day you’re like, “Wow , we really created something.” So I tell every young actor to do a genre show, because it’s going to fulfill the artist in you.
CHARISMA | I agree, 100 percent. To piggy-back on what Julie said, being on Buffy and Angel, you’re not just hitting your mark and “two tears, left eye.” You’re literally doing comedy and drama and fighting and dealing with prosthetics…. It’s an ambitious show and it’s all-consuming — we’re using the whole gamut of skills — so it’s demanding in a creatively positive way. I’m hard-pressed to recall a job where I learned as much, that I got as much out of, than those two shows.
JULIE | I always say that working on Buffy and Angel for me was like going to an amazing graduate school program. I learned more working on those shows than I did in studying acting in drama school.
TVLINE | Julie, when it looked like Hawaii Five-0 was only writing off Grace Park, I thought you might get promoted to series regular. But now your TV boyfriend is also no longer with the show. Did that news shock you as much as us?
JULIE |
No, I knew what [Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park] were going through [with negotiations], so I knew that it was a possibility. And I really support their decision. Obviously I was saddened by it, because Ilove working with Daniel Dae Kim. He’s an amazing actor and very kind and generous, and working with him was so easy — we had an instant chemistry on-screen with each other, and it was always such a joy to go to Hawaii and do that. But at the same time, as an actor who has been in this industry for a long time, I completely understand the choice that they made, and I respect it. I would have loved to explore more of Abby and Chin’s relationship, but I threw a wrench in the whole thing, too, when I took Training Day.
CHARISMA | But Bill Paxton!
JULIE | That was an amazing experience, working with him…. [Pauses] It’s still hard to… talk about, but Bill was such a…. I feel like I was given a gift by getting to know him for a year and getting to have that experience. It was a real gift from the universe.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

FYI - I guess this is another CW attempt to attract back more female viewers...

‘Agent Carter’ Alum Andi Bushell Developing Gender Discrimination Drama at CW (EXCLUSIVE)
Joe Otterson   AUGUST 16, 2017
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/agent-carter-andi-bushell-gender-discrimination-drama-cw-1202529680/

Former “Agent Carter” writer and co-executive producer Andi Bushell is developing a new workplace drama at The CW, Variety has learned exclusively.

Currently titled “The She Word,” the series would follow four driven female assistants who discover they have been victims of gender discrimination at their boys’ club of a company. They vow to work together to take over by whatever means necessary.

Bushell will write and executive produce, with Deborah Spera also executive producing. The two previously worked together on “Criminal Minds,” where Spera was an executive producer and Bushell was a supervising producer and writer. CBS Television Studios will produce.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, calliope1975 said:

I'm bummed that I don't have the Hallmark Channel anymore. That Brandon Routh cat movie is the best, and yet I hated Ray. I would spend every weekend watching movies all day long. 

Is that the one where he's a firefighter? 'Cause that one is cute :)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

Was it you @SmallScreenDiva who said you'd watch a BR and EBR cheesy romantic comedy?

There are only 3 of us on this forum so it might be you or the other Raylicity tolerant person! 

I think I said I'd watch them in a rom com, don't know if I used cheesy, too ;) I think they have the chem for it. 

10 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I think I said I'd watch them in a rom com, don't know if I used cheesy, too ;) I think they have the chem for it. 

Haha the cheesy was probably me! If BR is in a rom com it's going to be cheesy!

2 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Is that the one where he's a firefighter? 'Cause that one is cute :)

Yep. I watched it around the same time he was on Arrow and was so surprised at the difference. BR was super charming and no crazy eyes! Plus, it had a cat so I was all in. :D

• Love 1

FYI - another CW development project with female lead (calling all ex-Spartacus actors!)...

CW Developing Drama Series Based on Female Gladiator Novel ‘The Valiant’ (EXCLUSIVE)
Joe Otterson   August 17, 2017
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/the-valiant-lesley-livingston-tv-series-cw-1202531500/

The CW is developing a one-hour drama series based on Lesley Livingston’s novel “The Valiant,” Variety has learned exclusively.

The series would follow a Celtic princess on the run from an arranged marriage and a sheltered life who is captured and forced into slavery under Julius Caesar. She ends up training among the first wave of female Gladiators to compete in the Colosseum for fame, fortune and, ultimately, her freedom.

Laurie Arent will write and executive produce, with Mary Beth Basile also executive producing. Warner Bros. Television will produce. Arent most recently wrote and produced for “NCIS: New Orleans,” and has also worked on NBC’s “Life” and Lifetime’s “The Client List.” Basile was an associate producer on ABC’s “October Road” and most recently executive produced the pilot “Evil Men” for USA Network. Both Arent and Basile are repped by WME
Earlier this week, Variety exclusively reported that “Agent Carter” writer and co-executive producer Andi Bushell is developing a new workplace drama at The CW. Currently titled “The She Word,” the series would follow four driven female assistants who discover they have been victims of gender discrimination at their boys’ club of a company. They vow to work together to take over by whatever means necessary.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
On 8/16/2017 at 4:50 AM, BkWurm1 said:

Ironically, I can usually never remember their names anyway.

I do find forced chemistry not great. I really love when the movie is able to capture some basic chemistry or even good chemistry sometimes. Or if its awkward, I always tend to blame the writing or casting. I feel like Hallmark Movie requires a special type of acting that not every actor has. It requires the ability to make something entertaining and appealing out of a very predictable plot with often a ridiculously low budget. To me it's the equivalent of giving someone a trash bag and asking them to make a red carpet look out of it. Some people can make it work and some just can't.

And yes, one of my favorite guilty pleasures Project Runway is back on. I love reality shows that focus on skill/talent and not just interpersonal drama.

But nothing really beats a good Hallmark movie, especially a Holiday one!

On 8/16/2017 at 7:05 PM, lemotomato said:

I used to be able to find them on youtube, but I think the Hallmark Channel cracked down on them.

Bummer, that was what I was going to recommend. I can still find some on YouTube, but it does seem like there are less available. Or I definitely have to get creative with search terms.

• Love 1

Wooot I love Project Runway. They've been tight with the time over the years and I feel like the contestants aren't given enough time to create decent work. The one day challenges are a bit ridiculous.

Watched the BR and Cat movie. He is soooooo adorable but it was pretty cheesy especially at the end.

• Love 1