Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

22 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m in a good mood today!  I hit a milestone in my fitness journey.  I have lost 50 pounds!  The downside is I have little to wear!  Lol.  

Congratulations!  That gives you a reason to go shopping for new clothes.  

• Like 6
47 minutes ago, Lisa418722 said:

Congratulations!  That gives you a reason to go shopping for new clothes.  

Thank you!  I must buy some new things, but just a few, as I have a few more pounds to go.  They’ll be too large in a couple of months.  I figure I’ll reach my goal by New Year’s. 

• Like 11
  • Love 3

9 am I was fine and felt good. By 2-3 pm I am sick shivering/cold. On top of it I’m super dizzy. I’m scared to get up from chair/bed or go down stairs. I bought cold medicine. I have not felt this sick in a long time.

Send me some get well wishes. 

Edited by oliviabenson
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 21
3 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

9 am I was fine and felt good. By 2-3 pm I am sick shivering/cold. On top of it I’m super dizzy. I’m scared to get up from chair/bed or go down stairs. I bought cold medicine. I have not felt this sick in a long time.

I just spent the weekend in bed with my first cold since 2019 (I tested and it wasn’t Covid). 3 days later and I’m much better. Take care of yourself!

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 7
2 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Hope you’re feeling better and that it’s not anything serious.  Maybe, sleep will help. 

• Like 6
19 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

There is a bad flu going around. Rest and hydrate. Hope you feel a lot better soon!!!

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I was told last night that our cousins died, S was only 57-8 now that I think about it, she had been sick since 2020 (she had a stroke) and after her time in the rehab facility she moved to AZ to be with her much older brother (she was the "vacation baby" of her parents, 18yrs behind the next oldest brother). She was in accounting, she was shy, quiet, loved terriers, as long as I can remember she had a little white terrier and she would have sweaters for them- she took excellent care of her Mom (both of her parents, her father was my great uncle), her Mom lived to be 97.

One of my best memories of S, is when she saved me from a very creepy guy at a local Borders (remember Borders??? I used to hang out there reading books for free a lot when I was a teen/college aged), I was on the second floor (it was the middle of the week and it was empty) and I noticed this guy following me and just being creepy. I wasnt sure if he wanted to stick me up, or what was going on, but I was trying to get away. S just happened to be there  (she lived in the neighborhood) and saw the interaction from a distance and SCREAMED my name "HEY!!!!!" and the guy jetted off. We then went and had coffee and cookies together.

She was a lovely person, I had not had a chance to see her since she moved to AZ but we kept up on social media (although I am not on there much any more). She will be missed.

• Hugs 24
  • Sad 3
On 11/5/2023 at 7:36 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Oh yes!  Happy Belated Birthday Teriacky!  🎂🥳

Have you guys seen this video? Scarlett, it reminded me if Cosmo!  It’s really amazing!

I am just seeing this- how sweet! Yes it reminds me of Cosmo too! My sweet baby man will be 11 next month, I am getting him an appointment to be evaluated for arthritis. The last few weeks the stairs have been giving him trouble, one afternoon he spent 2hrs in the stairwell (its our building so it wasn't an inconvenience to any one). He seems to be happy and great energy otherwise. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 13
4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

One of my best memories of S, is when she saved me from a very creepy guy at a local Boarders (remember Boarders??? I used to hang out there reading books for free a lot when I was a teen/college aged),

Yes, Borders Bookstore.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, zoomama said:

uhhh...i still do?!

They went out of business 

19 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I was told last night that our cousins died, S was only 57-8 now that I think about it, she had been sick since 2020 (she had a stroke) and after her time in the rehab facility she moved to AZ to be with her much older brother (she was the "vacation baby" of her parents, 18yrs behind the next oldest brother). She was in accounting, she was shy, quiet, loved terriers, as long as I can remember she had a little white terrier and she would have sweaters for them- she took excellent care of her Mom (both of her parents, her father was my great uncle), her Mom lived to be 97.

One of my best memories of S, is when she saved me from a very creepy guy at a local Borders (remember Borders??? I used to hang out there reading books for free a lot when I was a teen/college aged), I was on the second floor (it was the middle of the week and it was empty) and I noticed this guy following me and just being creepy. I wasnt sure if he wanted to stick me up, or what was going on, but I was trying to get away. S just happened to be there  (she lived in the neighborhood) and saw the interaction from a distance and SCREAMED my name "HEY!!!!!" and the guy jetted off. We then went and had coffee and cookies together.

She was a lovely person, I had not had a chance to see her since she moved to AZ but we kept up on social media (although I am not on there much any more). She will be missed.

I’m sorry 🤗. You lost many people recently and grief is a beast to deal with. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 7
22 minutes ago, zoomama said:

well there is some huge bookstore that i frequent and buy from ...maybe barnes and noble? regardless, i am a frequent flyer there.

Yeah Borders went out of business around 2010. 

I hung out at Barnes and Noble a lot back then too. 

32 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

They went out of business 

I’m sorry 🤗. You lost many people recently and grief is a beast to deal with. 

I’m thankful to have known such lovely people like S, but 58 is just too damn young. I am glad she’s no longer suffering, but she should’ve had many more happy healthy years and been able to adopt more terriers and have little sweaters for them. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 12
3 hours ago, zoomama said:

well there is some huge bookstore that i frequent and buy from ...maybe barnes and noble? regardless, i am a frequent flyer there.

Books a Million, maybe? Barnes and Noble is still around too.

• Like 4

I actually bought a new pair of pants this week.  I have hardly any clothes that fit. They are stretchy fabric, so they have give, but still I was shocked to fit into a size Medium!  Man, it’s been a while! Lol 

Has anyone shopped for tops lately? They are so blousy, large, oversized……I’m looking for form fitting.  I want to extenuate my weight loss. Lol. Does anyone know where I might find some sleek fitting tops?  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 8
10 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I actually bought a new pair of pants this week.  I have hardly any clothes that fit. They are stretchy fabric, so they have give, but still I was shocked to fit into a size Medium!  Man, it’s been a while! Lol 

Has anyone shopped for tops lately? They are so blousy, large, oversized……I’m looking for form fitting.  I want to extenuate my weight loss. Lol. Does anyone know where I might find some sleek fitting tops?  

What style are you looking for?  Long-sleeve, short, tank?

54 minutes ago, sixlets said:

What style are you looking for?  Long-sleeve, short, tank?

Long sleeves, not too thin, but not sweater material.  Not too low, but not high neck.   I found a few at Marshall’s today, but most of the tops were oversized style.  That must be the style right now.  I got a casual top, but it’s not what I wanted.  Belk’s was the same way.  I’d like a nice top to wear out to dinner or to see a show…..feminine.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

I have a question. Is anyone here  a user of the 360 Life App? Or something similar? I have a couple of friends whose spouses use it to track family members, even in-laws. This is such a novel concept to me. I understand the safety idea, especially when someone is out driving at night. But I have no need to know that my son-in-law is at the gym, or getting gas or whatever. Since I can always call my husband and he can safely answer while driving, I don't even need to know where he is every minute of the day. I'm wondering what the advantages are. I mean I don't really have trust issues with anyone in my family, so I'm wondering what good uses the app offers. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
3 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I have a question. Is anyone here  a user of the 360 Life App? Or something similar? I have a couple of friends whose spouses use it to track family members, even in-laws. This is such a novel concept to me. I understand the safety idea, especially when someone is out driving at night. But I have no need to know that my son-in-law is at the gym, or getting gas or whatever. Since I can always call my husband and he can safely answer while driving, I don't even need to know where he is every minute of the day. I'm wondering what the advantages are. I mean I don't really have trust issues with anyone in my family, so I'm wondering what good uses the app offers. 

my sister uses it on her family. in one case, it helped in a police matter as far as locating a missing juvenile. she tracks her kids and hubby because she is a chronic nervous ninny. and in her case, she has justification for it. i, on the other hand, dont use it. i have considered having it on me when i travel alone tho. safety first.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

It has its uses.  My neighbor's 75 year old husband goes on 2 hour walks 6 days a week.  He was overdue and she checked and he wasn't nearly as close to home as he should have been even running late. She called me and we drove straight to him instead of having to guess his route.  He'd fallen so I took them straight to the ER. 

• Like 10
  • Useful 10
3 hours ago, BetyBee said:

This sounds incredibly invasive and disturbing to me. Yikes. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, AstridM said:

This sounds incredibly invasive and disturbing to me. Yikes. 

I agree. I can see how it could be useful for children or a family member with dementia or other health issues, but all the time, every day for healthy, competent adults? It just seems personally intrusive.

• Like 12
On 11/10/2023 at 6:34 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve had a hard time with tops too. These days I’m an extreme pear/spoon, so I get that I’m smaller on top than bottom, but I have never been a medium anything in my entire life so what in the hell. They are so BOXY in the torso. I want to show off my waist so you can see that I have one you know. 

My “sleek” what do you mean? I think you’re retired right, so not business wear? I just bought these soft turtlenecks at Target, they are having a sweater sale right now. Also Nordstrom rack has had some cute things. 
https://www.target.com/p/women-39-s-long-sleeve-mock-turtleneck-t-shirt-a-new-day-8482-black-m/-/A-89131870

• Like 1
21 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Long sleeves, not too thin, but not sweater material.  Not too low, but not high neck.   I found a few at Marshall’s today, but most of the tops were oversized style.  That must be the style right now.  I got a casual top, but it’s not what I wanted.  Belk’s was the same way.  I’d like a nice top to wear out to dinner or to see a show…..feminine.

Check out the Future Collective from Target.  They have a decent variety in stores and more online.  If I remember correctly, you live in Atlanta?  While they don't have brick-and-mortar stores in your area, Boscov's might have some options.  I've bought numerous items from there on sale, and a lot of their stuff is really cute.  Quality-wise, I would put them on par with JCP or Macy's.   Smaller boutique-type stores like Francesca's might have something too.  

• Like 3
On 11/11/2023 at 7:19 AM, BetyBee said:

I share my location, my “blue dot” on my iPhone with my Mom (and she with me). That’s the only tracker I use, unless I’m Uber/Lyfting and I share my trips with friends/my mom depending on who’s awake. 

My mom says she only checks the blue dot if she expects me in the building and I’m not here, or I’m traveling solo. Once she got freaked out because she locked herself out of her bedroom, and was calling me to let her back in, and I wasn’t answering (I was washing my hair) and she didn’t hear Cosmo but she could see I was in the building via my blue dot. She was over reacting just a tad but she got freaked. (Cosmo was calm because I was just in the shower washing my hair)

My mom gave me life so I have no problem with her following my blue dot. I check hers to follow her Ubers/make sure she got home okay when she’s out without me or close friends. 

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

An update/PSA on the appliance question from late summer-our less than 5-year-old LG fridge died on us this weekend.  Turns out, LG just settled a class-action lawsuit regarding the compressors.  Models made between 2016-ish to 2020 were affected.  Apparently, LG & Samsung went off the beaten path and made their own compressors and they failed.  Big time.  We went to Lowe's this morning, and I picked out a Bosch, which can be delivered Tuesday.  We lost a couple of hundred dollars worth of food between the fridge and freezer, which is really pissing me off.  The joys of being a homeowner 🙄

• Like 1
  • Hugs 10
  • Sad 5
15 minutes ago, sixlets said:

An update/PSA on the appliance question from late summer-our less than 5-year-old LG fridge died on us this weekend.  Turns out, LG just settled a class-action lawsuit regarding the compressors.  Models made between 2016-ish to 2020 were affected.  Apparently, LG & Samsung went off the beaten path and made their own compressors and they failed.  Big time.  We went to Lowe's this morning, and I picked out a Bosch, which can be delivered Tuesday.  We lost a couple of hundred dollars worth of food between the fridge and freezer, which is really pissing me off.  The joys of being a homeowner 🙄

Appliances are not made the same anymore.  I had to replace the door gaskets on my 3-year-old Whirlpool refrigerator this year.  They fell apart in shreds.  I have never had to replace door gaskets on any refrigerator, and my last one was at least 18 years old.  Over $400 just for the gaskets, plus the repair guy's fee.  I am sorry you had to take a hit on the food you lost.  I'm glad you found a refrigerator that you like that can be delivered soon.  Good luck!

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 6

Both of my kids had the doomed LG refrigerators in their homes. Both had failed compressors that no repairman would go near.

I was just listening to a story the other day on Planned Obsolescence.

It was about how companies as far back as the 1950s and 60s realized they needed repeat customers to keep factories running and money coming in. They started being intentional in creating and building "new and improved models" that could be rapidly introduced and marketed in ways that made people feel what they had was inferior and want the latest greatest whatever.

It also talked about practice of designing products to break quickly or become obsolete in the short to mid-term. Which was apparently a thing companies started doing around the same time.

• Like 1
  • Useful 7
1 hour ago, sixlets said:

I bought a new fridge that lasted 5 years as well. Mine was Avanti. I lost a lot of food too. I understand.

• Hugs 3

I carry a home warranty policy that covers replacement on appliances that they can't fix.  They did not cover the refrigerator door gaskets because that was fixable, but if they could not repair a compressor they would replace the item.  My brother has the same company, and they replaced his dryer with a new one when his old dryer parts were no longer available.  I have used this company for a plumbing issue, and they replaced parts that cost a lot more than their service fee.  With the way appliances are made today, I figure the membership fee is well worth the peace of mind. (In my opinion, for what it's worth)

• Like 3
  • Useful 5

I'm just home from a 10 day trip that included a social event at a state park, by and for nomads. Full-time, part-time, and weekenders. We talked about favorite apps for the roaming life, and the Life360 app was recommended. Now, the user is a single woman who lives and travels full time in her RV. She has it set up with, IIRC, a few key relatives. I don't recall the details, but she appreciates that they can keep track of her whereabouts with some exactness. If she's out of contact they will know where she (or her phone) is and can take appropriate action.  

I can see how it could be creepy and intrusive, but also useful for kids and, as noted, folks out there on the road. 

BTW I had a great time, made some new friends, and am plotting my next road trip. Although it's great to be home. We were at a dusty state park. I'm cleaning up everything I took with me. It will keep me occupied for at least today and probably tomorrow too.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 21

Thanks for the top suggestions.  They are nice, for casual wear or to wear to the office (I still go the office for meetings and to court when required), but work remotely most of the time. It’s just I wanted something sexy. Lol. I hope to get out more and dating! Lol I’m in Raleigh, NC area, so we have places like Belk, Marshalls, Nordstrom,….I don’t want to spend much since I’m  still losing weight.  I’m still looking. …….

This might work….I sort of wanted a v neck though I wasn’t looking for shiny. Lol Plus, it’s a little much to pay for a transition shirt. 

https://www.nordstrom.com/s/gold-rush-sequin-top/7530472?origin=category-personalizedsort&breadcrumb=Home%2FWomen%2FClothing%2FTops&color=535

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 5
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Thanks for the top suggestions.  They are nice, for casual wear or to wear to the office (I still go the office for meetings and to court when required), but work remotely most of the time. It’s just I wanted something sexy. Lol. I hope to get out more and dating! Lol I’m in Raleigh, NC area, so we have places like Belk, Marshalls, Nordstrom,….I don’t want to spend much since I’m  still losing weight.  I’m still looking. …….

This might work….I sort of wanted a v neck though I wasn’t looking for shiny. Lol Plus, it’s a little much to pay for a transition shirt. 

https://www.nordstrom.com/s/gold-rush-sequin-top/7530472?origin=category-personalizedsort&breadcrumb=Home%2FWomen%2FClothing%2FTops&color=535

That would be pretty for holiday parties and the like. Free People’s sizing is so inconsistent! I do like the two sweaters I have from them. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It's certainly a pretty top, my concern would be it looks like it clings, so it might draw attention to that extra weight you're still going to lose, or maybe to saggy skin folds from your current weight loss?  Congrats on that!!!

• Wink 1
  • Useful 2
54 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

It's certainly a pretty top, my concern would be it looks like it clings, so it might draw attention to that extra weight you're still going to lose, or maybe to saggy skin folds from your current weight loss?  Congrats on that!!!

I hear ya!  Actually, I like clingy around the torso.  That’s my best feature body wise.  A print is more forgiving than a solid.  The downside to my future weight loss is that my breast will also go.  I’m a large cup size and I dread the deflation, but…..I’m prepared. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 5

@Jeeves I was really interested in the nomad life before Covid. I could easily live in a converted van as long as I could control the temperature. But, now that I signed up to parent my grandson for the next 5 years, it's not going to happen.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 12
9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I hear ya!  Actually, I like clingy around the torso.  That’s my best feature body wise.  A print is more forgiving than a solid.  The downside to my future weight loss is that my breast will also go.  I’m a large cup size and I dread the deflation, but…..I’m prepared. 

How fun dressing up for the holidays for you will be. You have seen many pretty choices and will look lovely. Do you know what you’d wear under them? Most I see featured nice brassieres. At least you still have larger ladies. I’m such a chicken I’d be wearing a camisole. I have those tiny deflated breasts since I had the unexplained weight loss. I’m happy for you. 

• Hugs 3
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Nysha said:

@Jeeves I was really interested in the nomad life before Covid. I could easily live in a converted van as long as I could control the temperature. But, now that I signed up to parent my grandson for the next 5 years, it's not going to happen.

I live a very solitary life, and I don't think I'd have the strength and faith and fortitude for what you're doing for your grandson @Nysha.  You have my total x a billion respect and awe.  There should be more people like you in the world.

• Like 5
  • Applause 5
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

How fun dressing up for the holidays for you will be. You have seen many pretty choices and will look lovely. Do you know what you’d wear under them? Most I see featured nice brassieres. At least you still have larger ladies. I’m such a chicken I’d be wearing a camisole. I have those tiny deflated breasts since I had the unexplained weight loss. I’m happy for you. 

I won’t get anything too revealing. I’ll just wear a good supportive bra. Still a very large cup size. I don’t know how. Lol  Thanks for your kind words!  I hope you get some answers regarding your loss issue.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@SunnyBeBe the Free People tops you linked are gorgeous!  I hear ya on the boobie front. I've maintained a 50+ weight loss for quite a few years now.  I was in an XL, sometimes an XXL, and I'm now solidly in a medium or even a small in some things.  As Jill would say, "Yay!". I have a waist, but my boobs are now friends with my knees.  I must say, this one picture on FP kinda made me giggle.

PS-thanks for the commiseration on the fridge debacle.  Our Bosch arrived today looking all pretty.  We got one hell of a deal on it.  It's now selling for nearly $1100 more 🤯.  And, I can now stand in front of our stove and open the oven door without hitting my back on the fridge!
image.thumb.png.653d9141d4fce885ded57e15336ba8aa.png

• Like 11
1 hour ago, sixlets said:

@SunnyBeBe the Free People tops you linked are gorgeous!  I hear ya on the boobie front. I've maintained a 50+ weight loss for quite a few years now.  I was in an XL, sometimes an XXL, and I'm now solidly in a medium or even a small in some things.  As Jill would say, "Yay!". I have a waist, but my boobs are now friends with my knees.  I must say, this one picture on FP kinda made me giggle.

PS-thanks for the commiseration on the fridge debacle.  Our Bosch arrived today looking all pretty.  We got one hell of a deal on it.  It's now selling for nearly $1100 more 🤯.  And, I can now stand in front of our stove and open the oven door without hitting my back on the fridge!
image.thumb.png.653d9141d4fce885ded57e15336ba8aa.png

I like the top, but jeans too baggy. I’m now wearing yoga style pants and some pull ons called Millennium pants.  They are soft, fitting but thicker than leggings.  They are easy to find.  

Great on maintaining. That’s the key.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 5

In random news in my life:

My sister’s caregiver M made it to New Orleans in one piece and started her trip out with coffee and beignets at Cafe Du Monde. She texted and said that the airport wasn’t as scary as she thought, and she felt really prepared after reading all the info on the email and watching the YouTube playlist I made her- this was her very first airplane ride! I am glad she is enjoying herself- she hasn’t taken more than two days off in a row since she started with us in 2019, so I am glad she finally took a much deserved vacation. 

Twice this week Cosmo and I were told to “go” and “shoo” by elderly neighbors who left bread and rice out for the birds that Cosmo took a liking to. I gladly left and “shoo”-ed, but whatever the birds can eat the rats can eat you know…..I live near a lot of restaurants and it’s quite common for Cosmo to find edible litter on our walks. I don’t let him eat it as a habit but often he’s so fast and he sees it before me!

• Like 10