Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

For kids coats

I recently ventured to a mall for winter gear for the 5 grand kids. Mountain Warehouse was running a deal for $75 you got a winter coat, snow pants, hat, gaiter and the heavy waterproof gloves.

I usually buy them Columbia, but the 10yr old proclaimed he would not wear any of those "ugly coats" so we are trying a different brand for him this year.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
8 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

This coat came out to $26 with a coupon. Hope it fits. I usually size up so let’s see. $42 is a steal in this economy.

I need a bigger apartment haha. Too bad can’t buy an apartment for $42!!!

B39814BF-D9F6-4553-8198-63C89B409A5A.jpeg

I thought about buying this coat in red. Ordered a shorter one in black instead.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I wanted this coat but I don’t have the confidence to wear it stylishly plus I always wear black/navy. Maybe next year I will be brave to wear a reddish coat. 

C719A5F9-EDE9-4F1E-B69F-0CBC746EA94F.jpeg

I love red coats! And shoes. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

I just checked to make sure of the address of a bridal shower I had to go tomorrow. It was just canceled at the very last minute.

1. I wonder what happened?  (because I'm nosy)

and

2. Yippee!!  I'm so glad I don't have to go.

Ahhhhh all my obligations are now done and dusted.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Like 6
  • Hugs 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I just checked to make sure of the address of a bridal shower I had to go tomorrow. It was just canceled at the very last minute.

1. I wonder what happened?  (because I'm nosy)

and

2. Yippee!!  I'm so glad I don't have to go.

Ahhhhh all my obligations are now done and dusted.

Wow! I want to know, too! 🤷‍♀️

• Like 7
Just now, Westiepeach said:

I'll find out eventually,  but don't want to pry.

At least I hadn't bought a gift yet. I am always the person stopping at a drug store for a greeting card and gift-card  on the way to the event.  🙄 😁 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

I just sent my niece a virtual hug, and got this in reply:

Hi Aunt ____
______'s  fiancé is having cold feet 🥺
He’s beyond devastated
I’m sorry for the last minute cancellation. I just found all this out this morning.

(Her son is only 21, so maybe just as well. But I'm sure that must really hurt)

Ps the maybe just as well thought was kept in my head.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Like 5
  • Hugs 7
3 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

I just sent my niece a virtual hug, and got this in reply:

Hi Aunt ____
______'s  fiancé is having cold feet 🥺
He’s beyond devastated
I’m sorry for the last minute cancellation. I just found all this out this morning.

(Her son is only 21, so maybe just as well. But I'm sure that must really hurt)

Ps the maybe just as well thought was kept in my head.

That’s hard. But it’s better to have cold feet and back out than divorced. 

Speaking of coats, I bought myself a new Northface Denali (with hood)- I needed a medium, but I love that it’s got the side slits for the thick thigh life. They are longer than they were in 2011(?) when my last one was gifted to me (which was in great condition, I’m sure someone got use out of it). But I was so warm on this “Winnie the Pooh & the Blustery Day”🌬️🌧️️. You know you’re an adult when you get excited for outerwear. 

IMG_9346.png

• Like 8

I just bought a couple of longer jackets on sale from Lands' End (that's the way they spell it).  Both are down, and one of them is "packable" and fits into a small bag.  The other one hasn't arrived yet, but I'm hoping it I like it.  It is supposed to be super warm.  I like that this company rates the warmth of their coats and jackets so you have some idea if it will be warm enough for what you need.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
41 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I just bought a couple of longer jackets on sale from Lands' End (that's the way they spell it).  Both are down, and one of them is "packable" and fits into a small bag.  The other one hasn't arrived yet, but I'm hoping it I like it.  It is supposed to be super warm.  I like that this company rates the warmth of their coats and jackets so you have some idea if it will be warm enough for what you need.

I’ve bought from them and been happy with my purchases. 

• Like 4
47 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

Darn it!  I completely forgot about checking the coats at Old Navy.  That's what happens when you don't check the forum until late in the day.

I just looked the sale is still on. Probably ends at 3 am.

Facebook algorithms are hilarious. I'm seeing ads on my FB feed for run-proof pantyhose. As if I will ever don another pair in my life. Been there, done that, over it forever. I don't even own a dress or skirt anymore.  🤣

I'm just home from a ten day roadtrip. Had a great time, visited folks and roamed around. I went on a Ranger led tour of the alabaster gypsum [edited to correct that] cave at a state park in Oklahoma. It was so interesting! Here are a few photos I managed to get (can't use flash in there), thanks to a very good camera.

20231012-Alabaster-Cave-24 copy.jpg

20231012-Alabaster-Cave-34 copy.jpg

20231012-Alabaster-Cave-41 copy.jpg

Edited by Jeeves
It's a gypsum cave. Whatever, it's nice!
  • Like 16
  • Love 7

Thanks for all the kind words. I need to correct one thing in my post: it's a gypsum cave that I toured. "Alabaster" is the park name. Whatever the cave is made of, it's very interesting and some of it's pretty. BTW the green areas are algae, the result of the cave having openings to the outside. Here's the park info: https://www.travelok.com/state-parks/alabaster-caverns-state-park#listing-menu-tabs

Edited by Jeeves
  • Useful 10
10 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Thanks for all the kind words. I need to correct one thing in my post: it's a gypsum cave that I toured. "Alabaster" is the park name. Whatever the cave is made of, it's very interesting and some of it's pretty. BTW the green areas are algae, the result of the cave having openings to the outside. Here's the park info: https://www.travelok.com/state-parks/alabaster-caverns-state-park#listing-menu-tabs

Thanks for the pictures and information on the cave.  I love caves and wasn't aware of this one.

• Like 4
16 hours ago, Jeeves said:

So beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us. I’m glad you had a good trip. 

• Like 5

I have a small confession. Our Christmas tree is up! We ordered a new one during Prime Days and the box arrived slightly open. We had to see if everything was there and working. No ornaments, no garland, just a lit up tree. I turned it on this morning to enjoy while I'm having my coffee in our quiet house. It's all good!

• Like 21
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I have a small confession. Our Christmas tree is up! We ordered a new one during Prime Days and the box arrived slightly open. We had to see if everything was there and working. No ornaments, no garland, just a lit up tree. I turned it on this morning to enjoy while I'm having my coffee in our quiet house. It's all good!

if it helps you feel less unusual, i am contemplating putting mine up before the end of the month (or even the end of the week!)  WITH decorations and lights just for the simple reason that i enjoy it. it helps my less-than-pleasant-moodiness sometimes. 

ETA: i have tweaked my back again so time will tell on this but my heart is really into doing this!!!

Edited by zoomama
  • Like 7
  • Hugs 8

I had a good day today.  The last 10 days have been very hard for me because of what's going on in Israel (friends and family are involved but I can't go into detail because political) so today I just decided I needed to unplug from the news for a while.  I'm in the middle of moving so I ran around organizing and making calls and doing a bunch of stuff.  Somehow things fell into place and worked out, and people were kind and friendly, and the traffic was okay, and so, yes, I had a good day today.  I needed it.  And I'll take the prayers and hugs too please.

• Hugs 22

Doing a deep clean of my studio, and came across some folders of various sketches and scribbles from way, way back. I got a kick out of this because it reminded me of a short conversation here (I think it may have been in the sweet fellowship thread) about diagraming sentences, and how I never had managed to get the hang of The technicalities of English grammar.

This is probably why.

This would have been a typical page of notes. I would forever get sidetracked trying to draw people. I may not be able to figure out exactly what the notes were supposed to be about, but I do recognize Mrs. Hunt and Mr. Diorio. Probably from when I was 14.

I never was very good at school.

PXL_20231020_185035468.MP.jpg

• Like 13
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Forgive me for changing the subject. 

I was at the MD this week and I lost 31 lbs this past year. Now most of you would think great, except that I’m 4’9” and didn’t have weight to lose. Now on a good day I’m 76ish.  I have complained my last 3 visits, yet I don’t think they take that as a serious situation as I’m small. Well I feel other thing’s starting to go wrong and just wish someone would listen instead of writing me off because I’m that small skinny person they think all women should look like. 

Losing weight if you aren’t trying is concerning- especially for someone who doesn’t have extra body fat to lose. 

Have you had a decrease in appetite?  I’d get a second opinion and a full work up. I’m so sorry your medical team isn’t listening to you. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
20 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Forgive me for changing the subject. 

I was at the MD this week and I lost 31 lbs this past year. Now most of you would think great, except that I’m 4’9” and didn’t have weight to lose. Now on a good day I’m 76ish.  I have complained my last 3 visits, yet I don’t think they take that as a serious situation as I’m small. Well I feel other thing’s starting to go wrong and just wish someone would listen instead of writing me off because I’m that small skinny person they think all women should look like. 

Unexplained weight loss is a real medical problem and needs evaluation.   Even at 4'9", 76 lbs would be underweight for most women.  Find a new doctor. Or, seek out a consultation with a dietitian. It might be helpful to keep a food and activity diary for a few days to bring to your appointment.

It doesn't need to be fancy; just write down what you eat and a rough estimate of the portion size.   Record all significant physical activity, both exercise and anything else where you're moving like walking the dog or doing housework.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 3

I have to say, I really enjoy my walks in the fall weather. I don't get so hot and stinky. I can wear my weighted vest more comfortably. And the trees are gorgeous right now!

We are finally getting our driveway sealcoating done today. It rained on the other two scheduled dates. It's kind of chilly for sealcoating today, but they're doing it. Last chance for this year, I guess. Our HOA isn't always on top of things, but they do try. 

• Like 14
7 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I have to say, I really enjoy my walks in the fall weather. I don't get so hot and stinky. I can wear my weighted vest more comfortably. And the trees are gorgeous right now!

We are finally getting our driveway sealcoating done today. It rained on the other two scheduled dates. It's kind of chilly for sealcoating today, but they're doing it. Last chance for this year, I guess. Our HOA isn't always on top of things, but they do try. 

Sealcoating reminds me of the horrible accident we had a couple of years ago.  Our HOA was having the streets coated, and the truck blew up.  All three of the workers ended up being life flighted to a burn unit, and the last I heard, which has been a while, the guy that was actually on fire lost several fingers and probably had to have the others removed.  I don't know if he lost any other body parts, but he was in the burn unit for months.  He was actually on fire.  Word of warning:  if you see a truck doing sealing, do not walk by.  If there had been anyone on the sidewalk then this truck blew, there would have been dead people.  The explosion damaged the garage across the street, and scorched one house on the other side of the street.  Their trees were on fire, and they have had to replace all their windows in the front because of melting from the fire. Plus paint and some roof repair.   I guess it could have been worse--no one was killed outright .  But I never did hear what finally happed to the guy that was on fire.  Do not ever stand in your yard to watch the process, even though it is interesting.  

• Mind Blown 10
  • Sad 6
  • Useful 6

@Jeeves- your pics are gorgeous!

That article is so interesting. I started out posting cute pics of my grandkids on FB when they were babies and I've since not only stopped, but I also made my albums private. I see friends posting so much info on their lives and their kids. I have 6 beautiful grandkids that I don't talk about online. My sil, who is a very braggy poster, posts so much about her nearly grown grandkids that it could be dangerous or detrimental to their careers. Hey, it's great that our great nephew is doing such interesting things, but what's the point of posting about his plans down to the last detail? It could HARM him! Technology is getting crazy. The government isn't allowed to know everything we do, but corporations have no such restrictions!

• Like 9
  • Useful 2

@JeevesYour photos are gorgeous!  You have a great eye for photography.  There are a few photographers I casually check out on FB based out of Pittsburgh.  They have been able to capture some magnificent shots.  My favorite is Dave DiCello.  I included one of my recent faves.  

(For anyone not familiar with Pittsburgh, this is the PPG building.  It's easily one of the most recognized landmarks in the city).

pitts.jpg

Edited by sixlets
  • Like 12

Regarding sharing photos of kids online- I don’t have kids (which you all know) but I always asked parents if it was okay to take their kids picture etc. When my godbaby was little, her mom was fine with pictures, just don’t use her full name or birthday for privacy reasons. As she’s gotten older (she will be 9 next month) she’s stopped posting photos of her online. We now share vacation/holiday/event images etc through Google photos so just the invitees can see. She’s fine with me taking as many pictures as I want (her daughter likes to be in pictures) but of course I know about the social media rule and don’t post them. 

What a “regular parent” decides to do is very different than someone with a professional internet presence or a celebrity, but the internet is forever. I think it’s best to err on the side of caution. Sharing photos in public places is what it is (in our society if you step outside you’re consenting to be photographed) but intimate details of their health, social life, emotional well being…..I would keep that private until or unless they are old enough to share it themselves. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 4

My family "broken nose" story.  My grandfather was a school superintendent in a small town in Iowa.  He was a very strict and no-nonsense kind of guy, and was very strict with my dad and my uncle.  It was picture day at school for my uncle, and all the boys were to wear a white shirt.  On his way to school to be in this picture, my uncle came across some "buddy", and they got in a fight.  My uncle's nose was broken, and he bled all over his white shirt.  He went back home, where his mother cleaned him up, but he only had a blue shirt to wear.  My grandfather was furious with my uncle because he showed up in a blue shirt.  Never mind his nose was actually broken and smashed all over his face, and he was in pain.  He did not have the correct color shirt.  Some people just have no empathy if you don't follow the rules--that was my grandpa.  My uncle loved telling this story.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 9

I'm sorry your uncle had to deal with that.

My broken nose story is really redneck. I broke it on a hay bale when I was 10. It's still slightly crooked. [My nose. I am sure the hay bale suffered too. 😂]

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 14

Once my baby banged my nose with her head in the middle of the night. My nose was bleeding like crazy. I ran to the bathroom and my sleepy husband came in and handed me a white towel. I said, "Not that one. Get me one of the brown towels." It hurt for weeks, so I guess it was broken. I never went to the doctor and I guess my nose looks ok. It's the least of my worries!

• Like 8
  • LOL 3
10 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

My family "broken nose" story.  My grandfather was a school superintendent in a small town in Iowa.  He was a very strict and no-nonsense kind of guy, and was very strict with my dad and my uncle.  It was picture day at school for my uncle, and all the boys were to wear a white shirt.  On his way to school to be in this picture, my uncle came across some "buddy", and they got in a fight.  My uncle's nose was broken, and he bled all over his white shirt.  He went back home, where his mother cleaned him up, but he only had a blue shirt to wear.  My grandfather was furious with my uncle because he showed up in a blue shirt.  Never mind his nose was actually broken and smashed all over his face, and he was in pain.  He did not have the correct color shirt.  Some people just have no empathy if you don't follow the rules--that was my grandpa.  My uncle loved telling this story.

Calico Kitty, I'm curious if your grandpa had some German ancestry?  It sounds so German, "alles in Ordnung,"  everything in order, done correctly.  Years ago I would tease my mother about this preference of hers.

Betey Bee, I did the same thing to my mother.  No outside damage, but years later she had surgery for a deviated septum.

• Like 10