Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, skatelady said:

I use the same starter word every day, and it hasn't yet been a winner - so I can't switch to a different one because one of these days it'll be a winner and I don't want to miss it!

I'm so ridiculously obsessed with maintaining my streak (over a year) that on my mountain hiking days I Wordle on the summit (yesssss, I just verbed a noun...)! Normally I do my puzzles in the morning with my coffee (ah, retirement), but on hiking days I leave the house super early and don't have time. So it's my summit treat. My friends think I'm insane. Post-Wordle view from atop Mt. Washington in New Hampshire:

IMG_1616.jpg

I’ll need to mention that to my daughter. She has taken up hiking. For Labor Day she went to the Smokey Mountains and hiked up Pilot Mountain, Hanging Rock, and Haw River State Park. I’m glad since her divorce she has found something she’s enjoying doing that’s healthy. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The new color is going to take some getting used to.  I like the hair, but its darker than I expected.  I’m used to light blonde. Oh well…..I can always get highlights in a couple of months.  I guess it’s good to make a change every once in a while.  It feels healthy, so thats good.  

IMG_0704.jpeg

I think it’s pretty!

@jcbrown said it first, but I wasn’t copying I swear. 

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1

I got to spend an extended weekend in Las Vegas. My dad's 80th birthday is this month and my brothers gifted me a plane ticket! My grandson spent the 5 days with his mother and both of them were glad for me to come home. It was great to recharge my batteries and hear childhood stories from my dad and my aunt. 

One of my brothers is an assistant pastor (or something like that) at a Unity church in Las Vegas. It was my first time attending a Unity service and while I'm mostly an atheist, it was a nice service.

• Like 18
5 hours ago, Nysha said:

I got to spend an extended weekend in Las Vegas. My dad's 80th birthday is this month and my brothers gifted me a plane ticket! My grandson spent the 5 days with his mother and both of them were glad for me to come home. It was great to recharge my batteries and hear childhood stories from my dad and my aunt. 

One of my brothers is an assistant pastor (or something like that) at a Unity church in Las Vegas. It was my first time attending a Unity service and while I'm mostly an atheist, it was a nice service.

Oh, your so lucky. Las Vegas was always one of my family's favorite places to visit. It's always so much fun and so much to do there. And gamble.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

There was this couple featured in YouTube Shorts, from 1977 to now. They look to be about my Mom’s age so they weren’t teens but in their 20s when they got together. One of the first pictures I saw the JB arm holding pose and thought “uh oh!” But they all weren’t like that, and I thought “JB and Michelle have marked my eyes for couple pictures!”😝 I know that trends and styles change for photos, so something may have been on trend 40yrs ago and not a symbol of anything creepy. 
The couple through the years.

• Like 8
5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m celebrating the 40 pound mark of my weight loss!  I thought I’d never get here. Any suggestions for celebration are welcome.  Right now, I’m considering a spa resort weekend with massage, facial, pampering, etc.  I’d like some girlfriends to join me, but one has had a recent death in her family and the timing is not ideal.  So…..may schedule it out a bit. 

WOO HOO! Congratulations! Thanks for sharing the news. 

• Like 6
6 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m celebrating the 40 pound mark of my weight loss!  I thought I’d never get here. Any suggestions for celebration are welcome.  Right now, I’m considering a spa resort weekend with massage, facial, pampering, etc.  I’d like some girlfriends to join me, but one has had a recent death in her family and the timing is not ideal.  So…..may schedule it out a bit. 

Any excuse for the spa! I love that idea. 

• Like 7

Congratulations 🎉 @SunnyBeBe on that substantial weight loss. How kind of you to consider how your friend would feel about joining a spa retreat so close to a death (period of mourning). I think you idea of how to celebrate it, albeit a bit later, is a fine one. Here is a magnolia flower from my back yard to celebrate you. 

57F3DAF9-0F6E-463B-976C-EFC39DAF5862.jpeg.1f460f2fc544c1aeb770b958d5a3adf0.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Congratulations 🎉 @SunnyBeBe on that substantial weight loss. How kind of you to consider how your friend would feel about joining a spa retreat so close to a death (period of mourning). I think you idea of how to celebrate it, albeit a bit later, is a fine one. Here is a magnolia flower from my back yard to celebrate you. 

57F3DAF9-0F6E-463B-976C-EFC39DAF5862.jpeg.1f460f2fc544c1aeb770b958d5a3adf0.jpeg

Thank you for your kind words and lovely flower!  Beautiful!  

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Condo living mild rant: So, this young guy occasionally lives next door. He's pretty friendly and has told us varying stories of his connection to the nice guy who lives next door and is the owner.  They share a driveway/parking area with us and one other family. Though they are generally nice neighbors, they do tend to hog all of the parking as if it's their own personal lot. We don't need parking spaces, but they have actually made it difficult for us to get out of our garage at times. It's frustrating because they don't use their garage for parking, which makes things more complicated. Anyway his car hasn't been running for a week or so. It needs to be moved for sealcoating and he told my husband last night that he was going to try to get the date changed because he hadn't gotten around to getting it towed for repair. This made me mad because it's so selfish and will inconvenience the rest of us who planned to move our cars for the sealcoating today. Well, it rained all night and continues off and on, so I guess he got his wish. I'm usually pretty happy here, but this is one of my few complaints! That and the annual dues increases!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 13

I accidentally stepped on my glasses and broke them. It’s my only pair and I’m SEVERELY near sighted. I taped them together the best I could. Have no clue how long it will take to get a new prescription and glasses. 

First time I ever broke my glasses. 

I look so ridiculous.

• Hugs 7
  • Sad 6
25 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I accidentally stepped on my glasses and broke them. It’s my only pair and I’m SEVERELY near sighted. I taped them together the best I could. Have no clue how long it will take to get a new prescription and glasses. 

I look so ridiculous.

Oh no! I'm sorry that happened! I hope you can get them repaired/replaced asap. I always keep my old glasses and travel with them just in case I break my current ones. My bil once had his vacation ruined by breaking his glasses. 

Would a cheap pair of cheaters help in the meantime?

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
46 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

Oh no! I'm sorry that happened! I hope you can get them repaired/replaced asap. I always keep my old glasses and travel with them just in case I break my current ones. My bil once had his vacation ruined by breaking his glasses. 

Would a cheap pair of cheaters help in the meantime?

I can’t find the old glasses and they are in bad shape too. 

I have a very strong prescription I can’t buy glasses in cvs. 

I am carrying tape with me to keep reattaching the broken piece lol.

• Hugs 6
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

I look so ridiculous.

Oh my goodness I am so sorry that’s AWFUL! That was always my nightmare as a child which is why my Mom always made sure I had at least two pairs, an “in the house” pair and a fashion pair  

I would head to GlassesUSA and order some pairs, you can get decent ones under $30 depending on what extras you get, they will arrive in 10 calendar days or even a week depending on when you order. I love GlassesUSA.com and I wear my contacts 90% of the time. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
33 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Oh my goodness I am so sorry that’s AWFUL! That was always my nightmare as a child which is why my Mom always made sure I had at least two pairs, an “in the house” pair and a fashion pair  

I would head to GlassesUSA and order some pairs, you can get decent ones under $30 depending on what extras you get, they will arrive in 10 calendar days or even a week depending on when you order. I love GlassesUSA.com and I wear my contacts 90% of the time. 

I have -14 vision. I don’t think I can buy $30 glasses on line 😞. I am like almost blind.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 4
15 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I have -14 vision. I don’t think I can buy $30 glasses on line 😞. I am like almost blind.

You CAN! I swear. My Mom said the same thing “I can’t order glasses online.” She didn’t believe. 

if you get a pair of frames on clearance and Google a code for a discount on lenses, you can get a great deal. I paid $18 for these and I’m a -6.5. Pinky swear. 

image.jpg

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

You CAN! I swear. My Mom said the same thing “I can’t order glasses online.” She didn’t believe. 

if you get a pair of frames on clearance and Google a code for a discount on lenses, you can get a great deal. I paid $18 for these and I’m a -6.5. Pinky swear. 

image.jpg

I also was very nearsighted and never could get cheap glasses. My vision was 20/2000.I did not trust mail-order because my vision was so bad. When the optical stores would have sales I would go in and my perception was aways to strong to meet the requirements. I had one place tell me the lenses alone would be over 300.00 and that was mid 1990. One good thing about getting old is the eventually you will need cataract surgery  and that takes care of the problem. The cataract surgery is the easiest procedure I have had.

• Like 7
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1

I also am very near sighted.  There are mail order places that make lenses, even no-line bifocals, in any prescription less expensively than the eye doctor.  Warby Parker comes to mind, but Consumer Reports had a list in this month's magazine.  Also try Costco.  I have heard very good things about their optical department.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

If you’re severely near sighted (as I was before I got my cataracts removed and permanent lenses put in during the same surgery), glasses cost hundreds of dollars, even WITH insurance. You need special lenses. 

44 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

My vision was even worse than that before I had surgery. I was legally blind without glasses/contacts. I feel for you. It’s insanely expensive to replace those kinds of glasses. 

17 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I also was very nearsighted and never could get cheap glasses. My vision was 20/2000.I did not trust mail-order because my vision was so bad. When the optical stores would have sales I would go in and my perception was aways to strong to meet the requirements. I had one place tell me the lenses alone would be over 300.00 and that was mid 1990. One good thing about getting old is the eventually you will need cataract surgery  and that takes care of the problem. The cataract surgery is the easiest procedure I have had.

Yep - same experience! 😥

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, AstridM said:

If you’re severely near sighted (as I was before I got my cataracts removed and permanent lenses put in during the same surgery), glasses cost hundreds of dollars, even WITH insurance. You need special lenses. 

My vision was even worse than that before I had surgery. I was legally blind without glasses/contacts. I feel for you. It’s insanely expensive to replace those kinds of glasses. 

Yep - same experience! 😥

I am severally nearsighted too- granted not as much as you but quite nearsighted. Places like GlassesUSA are much less expensive than going in store (even a place like Lensecrafters or Pearl Vision). Add in a discount code and clearance frames and it’s MUCH more affordable. People often assume they can’t get glasses at these discounted places, they can! Even designer frames for less. My own Mom wouldn’t believe me and I had to convert her😉.

56 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I also am very near sighted.  There are mail order places that make lenses, even no-line bifocals, in any prescription less expensively than the eye doctor.  Warby Parker comes to mind, but Consumer Reports had a list in this month's magazine.  Also try Costco.  I have heard very good things about their optical department.

Yup- and Warby Parker isn’t even all that! I’m converting everyone to GlassesUSA or Eye Buy Direct; they have SO MANY frames at decent prices and so many options to save those of us who need corrective lenses so much money. 

43 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I need a prescription to order glasses online. I need to see a doctor for that anyway. Might be a month before I even get glasses. Who knows how long until I even get an appointment.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice! 

A33F0B61-DFEE-47E0-82E1-66737600CC6C.jpeg

Did you have your eye exam last year? Do you go every year? When I go I always save my prescription digitally so that I can order whenever the mood strikes me or I need to (also I make sure to watch for good deals on Rakuten). 

• Like 7

(Long time shy Lurker) I have a kid who used to break his glasses ALL THE TIME. Once the regular pair AND the back up pair the same week. Do you have a My Eye Dr. chain or place similar near you? Here, they often have same-day appointments. In the meantime, their glasses shop was sometimes able to repair my son’s glasses with a piece from a similar pair. Or they could put his lenses in a frame that was the same shape. My son got contacts last year, thank goodness!

• Like 5
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

Being very nearsighted is the opposite of the reading glasses sold in stores.  

My bad!

3 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I am severally nearsighted too- granted not as much as you but quite nearsighted. Places like GlassesUSA are much less expensive than going in store (even a place like Lensecrafters or Pearl Vision). Add in a discount code and clearance frames and it’s MUCH more affordable. People often assume they can’t get glasses at these discounted places, they can! Even designer frames for less. My own Mom wouldn’t believe me and I had to convert her😉.

Yup- and Warby Parker isn’t even all that! I’m converting everyone to GlassesUSA or Eye Buy Direct; they have SO MANY frames at decent prices and so many options to save those of us who need corrective lenses so much money. 

Did you have your eye exam last year? Do you go every year? When I go I always save my prescription digitally so that I can order whenever the mood strikes me or I need to (also I make sure to watch for good deals on Rakuten). 

So you can get blended bifocals from places like GlassesUSA? I know my daughter and sil have bought multiple pairs at good prices from Warby Parker, but they're not in bifocals yet.

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

So you can get blended bifocals from places like GlassesUSA? I know my daughter and sil have bought multiple pairs at good prices from Warby Parker, but they're not in bifocals yet.

Yes ma’am you can!!! My Mom has several pairs of her bifocals without the line because she says “I’m vain!”😋

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
43 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

My bad!

My brother gets them through Zenni optical.  They also keep your prescription on file, so you can go back later and order sunglasses or a replacement pair with just a quick click or two.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 4

1 hour ago, Notabug said:

My brother gets them through Zenni optical.  They also keep your prescription on file, so you can go back later and order sunglasses or a replacement pair with just a quick click or two.

i just came home from my yearly eye appointment.  I asked for all the measurements I will need, and I am planning to check out all the places you folks have recommended to get an extra pair.  I kept my vision insurance when I retired, so that paid for a huge chunk of my glasses today.  But I really would like to have a backup, so as soon my eyes aren't dilated any more I will start to shop.  I wear progressive lenses, so I'm interested to see how this works.

• Like 9
19 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

i just came home from my yearly eye appointment.  I asked for all the measurements I will need, and I am planning to check out all the places you folks have recommended to get an extra pair.  I kept my vision insurance when I retired, so that paid for a huge chunk of my glasses today.  But I really would like to have a backup, so as soon my eyes aren't dilated any more I will start to shop.  I wear progressive lenses, so I'm interested to see how this works.

I hope you find just what you want at an affordable price, @CalicoKitty.

I did get my last glasses (and sunglasses) at Costco at a good price. They are very helpful there and I've liked the doctors there too. I'm like you - I can't look for glasses when my eyes are dilated. I become a total space case when my eyes are dilated. I had strabismus and eye surgery to correct it when I was a kid, so my eyes have been dilated a lot over the years. I usually bring my husband along for a second opinion when choosing frames.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, ozziemom said:

We’ve had good luck with Costco optical. Takes 7 days and Ozziedad and I have different sightedness. He gets transition lens too with no problem. Reasonable price and you can swing by and get a rotisserie chicken.

Do you have to belong to Costco, or is it like Sam's Club where you can use the optical department without having a members card?

Edited by ChiCricket
5 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Do you have to belong to Costco, or is it like Sam's Club where you can use the optical department without having a members card?

I think you don't have to be a member to see the optometrist, but you do have to be a member to purchase glasses. 

• Thanks 2

My city is finally repairing a very long nearby street. I never realized how much I use that street, both for my walks and for when we go anywhere at all. It's really affecting my walks and my travels! I can't avoid crossing it to get almost anywhere and it's been all torn up for days, with heavy equipment and varying levels and loads of dust and dirt. I have book club today and I was going to walk there. Mr. BB offered to drive me. He knows I hate driving in construction areas. They've also got the street torn up by our grocery store. First world problems, I know! I'll be very happy when it's all done. BTW, it seems like they've really got a push on to finish it before winter. It seemed like they could have started such a big job sooner!

• Like 6

@BetyBee - I feel your pain. A major street in my area has been under reconstruction in a massive way for months now. I'm used to it, and to the way it's affected its intersection with another major street. But the other day I discovered that the entire intersection was closed because of the project. And the signage was confusing.

Or was it just me?

Here's what it was.

The North-South street, not under construction, I'll call Smith Street.

The East-West street, under long and massive reconstruction, I'll call Maple Avenue.

So, I'm on Smith Street heading north toward Maple Avenue. I see signs half a mile from that intersection saying "Maple Closed Ahead" with detour signs at intersections as I approach. So I'm thinking, Okay, Maple is closed but I'm going to continue north on Smith Street, and don't want to turn onto Maple, so I'm good.

NOPE. What I found, was that, as I said, the Smith/Maple intersection was completely closed. Why didn't the signs say "Smith closed ahead?"

And it gets funnier. I duly pulled a U-turn and headed off to take a different North-South street to get to my destination. Along the way, at that street's intersection with Maple Avenue, there were signs on Maple Avenue, saying: "Smith Closed Ahead." You could have heard my eyerolls a block away. I nearly hurt myself.

Am I crazy in thinking somebody put the signs on the wrong streets? Because If I'm driving on Smith and see that "Smith is closed ahead" that tells me to take a detour. Driving on Smith and seeing that "Maple is closed ahead" doesn't.

I know - first world problems. At least they're repairing stuff. I believe the "Maple Avenue" project involves rebuilding and upgrading a lot of underground utilities which is why it's so massive and taking so long.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

@BetyBee - I feel your pain. A major street in my area has been under reconstruction in a massive way for months now. I'm used to it, and to the way it's affected its intersection with another major street. But the other day I discovered that the entire intersection was closed because of the project. And the signage was confusing.

Or was it just me?

Here's what it was.

The North-South street, not under construction, I'll call Smith Street.

The East-West street, under long and massive reconstruction, I'll call Maple Avenue.

So, I'm on Smith Street heading north toward Maple Avenue. I see signs half a mile from that intersection saying "Maple Closed Ahead" with detour signs at intersections as I approach. So I'm thinking, Okay, Maple is closed but I'm going to continue north on Smith Street, and don't want to turn onto Maple, so I'm good.

NOPE. What I found, was that, as I said, the Smith/Maple intersection was completely closed. Why didn't the signs say "Smith closed ahead?"

And it gets funnier. I duly pulled a U-turn and headed off to take a different North-South street to get to my destination. Along the way, at that street's intersection with Maple Avenue, there were signs on Maple Avenue, saying: "Smith Closed Ahead." You could have heard my eyerolls a block away. I nearly hurt myself.

Am I crazy in thinking somebody put the signs on the wrong streets? Because If I'm driving on Smith and see that "Smith is closed ahead" that tells me to take a detour. Driving on Smith and seeing that "Maple is closed ahead" doesn't.

I know - first world problems. At least they're repairing stuff. I believe the "Maple Avenue" project involves rebuilding and upgrading a lot of underground utilities which is why it's so massive and taking so long.

It's the changes that get to me. One day you can get through. The next day, you don't really want to be on that street. The next day it's iffy. And honestly, on the big street by our grocery store, we decided that the equipment drivers and the sign holders have all been really careless, which puts us in the position of not trusting the directions we're being given! I've seen equipment drivers speeding across and nearly hitting vehicles that were told to proceed. I don't know. Maybe I just don't trust anyone anymore!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

My mom and I had an amazing time at the lake front this weekend but not as amazing as Cosmo! (It was a dog friendly area) He was so happy! So many dogs, but he was exhausted before getting back in the car.9AA58CAC-1321-4725-80DF-EC0982B4F2E6.thumb.jpeg.27025609ce7a88c31babc9b2eaedaf33.jpeg

Speaking of Cosmo, I’ve been researching stairs for him (for the car) and everything is so narrow although it says it’s for his weight limit  I found these, pet stairs  on Amazon which are 19.2 and I think he will feel secure enough to climb those.

She’s had more fun with that scooter in 2months than she’s had in two years. Best money I’ve spent in a long time. 

She’s been so appreciative and excited to use it. I told her that she’s bought me tons of unnecessary things FAR past the age of 21, (so whatever) but more importantly I appreciated her being a good sport about using it and learning.(finally, I didn’t add the “finally” as I am not a disrespectful asshole.) As Grandfather gave her a hard time about EVERYTHING (she reminds me of him so much lately) so I can appreciate her effort. 

It makes me so happy to see her happy!! The last few years have been so hard on her, losing loved ones, retirement, accepting she cannot take care of my sister any more and all the #MommyGuilt, her declining health. She’s far too extroverted to be stuck inside all the time (January/ February okay, but not all year). 

Its also a weight off of me to know she has more joy in her life these days. 

• Like 6
  • Love 18
2 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

My mom and I had an amazing time at the lake front this weekend but not as amazing as Cosmo! (It was a dog friendly area) He was so happy! So many dogs, but he was exhausted before getting back in the car.9AA58CAC-1321-4725-80DF-EC0982B4F2E6.thumb.jpeg.27025609ce7a88c31babc9b2eaedaf33.jpeg

Speaking of Cosmo, I’ve been researching stairs for him (for the car) and everything is so narrow although it says it’s for his weight limit  I found these on Amazon which are 19.2 and I think he will feel secure enough to climb those.

She’s had more fun with that scooter in 2months than she’s had in two years. Best money I’ve spent in a long time. 

She’s been so appreciative and excited to use it. I told her that she’s bought me tons of unnecessary things FAR past the age of 21, (so whatever) but more importantly I appreciated her being a good sport about using it and learning.(finally, I didn’t add the “finally” as I am not a disrespectful asshole.) As Grandfather gave her a hard time about EVERYTHING (she reminds me of him so much lately) so I can appreciate her effort. 

It makes me so happy to see her happy!! The last few years have been so hard on her, losing loved ones, retirement, accepting she cannot take care of my sister any more and all the #MommyGuilt, her declining health. She’s far too extroverted to be stuck inside all the time (January/ February okay, but not all year). 

I'm so happy this is working out so well for your mom.  I know it's hard to get it right and this scooter has made a great difference in her mobility.  You are a wonderful daughter for all you do helping her navigate a new way of getting around safely and comfortably.  You are also an amazing pet mom.  Beautiful Cosmo and your equally beautiful cats are fortunate to have you.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Have you considered a ramp? It would be easier to store.

The link just took me back to this page. 

Yes I have bought two ramps. He wouldn’t touch them. He walked around them! I donated to a local dog boarding place (Chewy gave me a refund). 

Let me edit!

3 hours ago, wilsie said:

I'm so happy this is working out so well for your mom.  I know it's hard to get it right and this scooter has made a great difference in her mobility.  You are a wonderful daughter for all you do helping her navigate a new way of getting around safely and comfortably.  You are also an amazing pet mom.  Beautiful Cosmo and your equally beautiful cats are fortunate to have you.

Awww you’re so sweet to me. Thank you. I’m lucky to have all of them too. And evidence I take pictures of the cats too. 

I went to Home Depot this afternoon during lunch (I’m WFH this month) and got Halloween lights (orange and purple), a metal tombstone and a fall mum. I’m gathering all my things so the neighbor children across the street (twins!) don’t throw shade at me again this year. Lately things sell out so QUICKLY!

IMG_9104.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 9
Just now, CalicoKitty said:

Well, I finally decided to do it.  I put down my deposit for a Northern Lights cruise in Norway in March.  I like Norway very much, but I have always been there when there was lots of sun.  And I have never been to the top of Norway, so I am excited.  It will be cold, but that  is okay.  I am looking forward to all the beauty.  I will be staying in London for two days before the cruise--just to make sure there are no airline or weather snags.  It is more expensive since I will be a solo traveler, but I have friends that are going, too, so I won't be totally alone.  At least someone wanted to go where I want to go this time.  I had to go to Siberia alone because no one wanted to go with me.   They missed out on a good trip!

Oh that sounds AMAZING! Please share as much with us as you feel comfortable. I’ve never been on a cruise actually! Solo traveling with friends is my preferred way- no one in my room but people to do things with when I want. 

I have two big trips planned next year- March I am going to Morocco (rescheduled from 2022) and in May I’m going to Scotland! Someone I met during my visit to London for the coronation is putting a trip together for a week and I’m saving my pennies to make it happen. I was surprised at how much I loved Scotland in 2019 so I’m very much looking forward to that, more than Morocco actually because I know 1. That I will like it, 2. Some of the people that are going are cool. But I’ve never been to the Middle East before so Morocco is very exciting. 

• Like 6
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Speaking of Cosmo, I’ve been researching stairs for him (for the car) and everything is so narrow although it says it’s for his weight limit  I found these, pet stairs  on Amazon which are 19.2 and I think he will feel secure enough to climb those.

You're a Good Daughter/Sister/pet Mom, Charlie Scarlett!

Charlie Brown.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 7
On 9/14/2023 at 4:02 PM, CalicoKitty said:

Well, I finally decided to do it.  I put down my deposit for a Northern Lights cruise in Norway in March.  I like Norway very much, but I have always been there when there was lots of sun.  And I have never been to the top of Norway, so I am excited.  It will be cold, but that  is okay.  I am looking forward to all the beauty.  I will be staying in London for two days before the cruise--just to make sure there are no airline or weather snags.  It is more expensive since I will be a solo traveler, but I have friends that are going, too, so I won't be totally alone.  At least someone wanted to go where I want to go this time.  I had to go to Siberia alone because no one wanted to go with me.   They missed out on a good trip!

That sounds amazing!  For me, the planning and anticipation are just as exciting as the trip. Lol. I’m a sucker for London. Norway would be awesome too.  

• Like 8

We're off to get our flu & rsv vaccines today. It will give us a chance to get the skinny on the new Covid variant vaccine availability from the pharmacist. The clerk at our pharmacy is a very unpleasant woman who hates customers, but the pharmacist, who gives the vaccines is very nice and informative. Luckily, we registered online, so while the bitchy clerk will still scold us for being in her presence, lol - we won't have to spend more than a minute with her! Another clerk there told us that they were only getting the Moderna version of the new vaccine. We were surprised because we've had all Pfizer there, but I think it doesn't really matter to the virus!

Update: Vaccine appointment went fine. Even the crabby clerk was pleasant! We'll be back soon to get our Covid variant booster, probably next week. They said they'd have the vaccines in stock by the end of the week. I'm so glad we'll be fully boosted for my Mom's birthday in October 🙂

Edited by BetyBee
  • Like 14

Bad news on my robot vacuum.Sad Pauly D GIF by A Double Shot At Love With DJ Pauly D and Vinny
The repair shop said the motor needed to be replaced, but Samsung doesn’t make it easy to get those. By the time I replace the motor and the labor I could’ve bought a new one
So I will wait for Prime day (they have another Oct 10/11) and Black Friday and look for another.

The repair person suggested getting another vacuum and using it as supplemental, which I get, but the entire point is to have it go automatically and leave me to do something else! But he said no charge because they do free estimates which I thought was so nice. I will pick it up this weekend. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 11