Type keyword(s) to search

Kitty: The Cousin Oliver of the Brownstone

Gregg247

I know it's only been 3 episodes, but I can't wait for Kitty to leave/disappear/become murder victim-of-the-week.

We have 4 cast regulars (Capt. Gregson is VERY under-utilized), and each episode requires a victim(s), assorted family members/contacts/witnesses/cops, plus at least 3-4 suspects to keep us guessing.  Plus, they need to tell a good mystery and wrap it up in 40 minutes.  There's no space for Kitty and surliness on the show.

Kitty's conversations with Watson are similar to the ones Joan had with Sherlock in Season 1, when she was helping him with his addictions.  Kitty's conversations with Sherlock are like when he was starting to train Watson in S1 and S2 (but with MUCH less chemistry between them).  I just don't think she adds anything new to this show.

• Love 4

It's official! I really like Kitty, I enjoy the actress and she is awesome (I am currently watching the last episode... something in the talk with Joan and then the way she moved away when the found the body with the maps... so much yes. :)

• Love 1

As I said, it takes time to develop a character and it nicely shows how female characters are treated with a lot more scepticism and negative attitude, especially if there is already one female character in the cast. Hmm.

• Love 1

Having issues with Kitty early on does not equal sexism.

In her first couple of episodes, Kitty came across as bored, out of her depth, and too immature and impulsive for this type of work. I strongly suspect that the writers intended for her to come across that way, so that they could gradually reveal her hidden depths - and show that Sherlock has a gift for seeing talent where it may not be obvious.

If a young male character with the same characteristics had been introduced, and Sherlock declared that this was the new Joan, I'm sure there would have been plenty of negative feedback from fans about him.

• Love 2

I was annoyed that they added Kitty initially, then I grew to really enjoy her. And now I'm ready for her to go. I don't have any issue with her -- I still like her -- but I watch this show for Sherlock and Joan, and Kitty is detracting from that relationship. Are there any rumors regarding how long she'll be around?

• Love 3

I've grown to really like Kitty. I was all set to dislike whatever wrinkle she'd throw into the Joan/Sherlock relationship, but I enjoy how the show has been playing it. When Joan referred to Kitty as family, it suddenly became really dusty in my room. 

• Love 4

Perfectly possible. My opinion is based on experience and quite frankly, on what is written, the arguments and language used, the context as well. Of course one could dislike a character... but when compared, mostly, female characters receive very similar treatment with almost identical reasons and even phrases.

• Love 1

Ok, so I'm only now catching up on Season 3 and I'm only in episode 2, but . . . . we all HATE Kitty and are waiting for her to be killed off, right?

I . . . . don't even get, well, anything about her . . . why she's there at all, what purpose she serves, what her character is supposed to be (honestly the actress is terrible), what she's saying half the time.  She has no chemistry with Sherlock, and the chemistry between Lucy Liu and Jonny Lee Miller has been the best part of the series from the beginning, IMO.  So . . . yeah, I just don't know.

Someone please tell me it gets better?  Some of you apparently have come to like her so I guess something must change.

Cause I'm only in ep 2 and already ready to bail.  And I loved this show so much in Seasons 1 and 2.

• Love 1

I don't know.  I'm came to like her well enough, but I haven't missed her either.

I do and I don't. For me, her arc was incredibly well told and it left a signifcant mark on Sherlock. We all knew her time would be limited and that she wouldn't be a permanent fixture, but I also came to love and appreciate her. Like the best stories about former victims becoming heroes, her story is transformative. It's satisfying to see how her story ended. It made sense for her to leave so I don't miss her because I know she's off doing good things.

I do miss her because I think the actress is talented. I wouldn't mind seeing Kitty return for a two parter or a couple episodes in the future.

• Love 8

I know it's almost sacrilege here but I would much rather see Kitty return than Irene.

Totally agree.  I absolutely hated that the writers made Irene Adler and Moriarty one and the same person.

Someone please tell me it gets better?  Some of you apparently have come to like her so I guess something must change.

It gets better.

I know it's almost sacrilege here but I would much rather see Kitty return than Irene.

I have a feeling Ophelia Lovibond would be easier to book than Natalie Dormer so that might be in the works.

• Love 2

I love Natalie Dormer and her take on Irene/Moriarty, but I'd prefer Kitty's return as well, if only because I feel like Moriarty is best used sparingly. I don't want her to turn into a character who pops up all the time to the point where you wonder, "Why don't they just shoot her already?" Or, God forbid, she hangs out so much with the heroes that she essentially becomes a sixth ranger. Think Spike from Buffy. It would just diminish her, IMO. 

Meanwhile, Kitty's not in the same boat as a character, and I loved the shake-up in the Sherlock/Joan dynamic that she brought about, so her return would make a lot more sense to me. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I agree with galax-arena -- Dormer is a great actress and I loved the character, but she is best used very sparingly.  (I like the way the character was used in The Case of Joan's Boyfriend)

The way is open for Kitty's return from time to time, and her dynamic with the regulars was very good.

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 4
(edited)
The way is open for Kitty's return from time to time, and her dynamic with the regulars was very good.

She would face charges for disfiguring Gruner if she returned to New York, correct?  Isn't that why the episode was called The One That Got Away?  She got away without any consequences but I don't believe that Gregson would look the other way if he saw her now moving in and out of the Brownstone.

Edited by MaryHedwig
(edited)

So far I've loved the way they've used Moriarty. When she killed the woman that killed Joan's boyfriend, I think I might've squealed. This is the way you utilize a series long villain. We never know when she's going to pop up again and cause trouble. That way they can keep her around without making the main characters look like idiots by hanging around her all the time.

As for Kitty, she's on the run from the law which is what Moriarty didn't want. When Moriarty appears again she'll most likely have had her charges dropped or been set free. Kitty can't come back without going to jail. Gregson is letting her go because she was already out of his jurisdiction and he understood what she did. But if she sets foot in NY again he will arrest her. The only way they can see Kitty is to go to where she is and help her. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1
The one that go away refers that she literally survived and got away from Gruner, both physically, emotionally and in regards to closure.

I agree that that is the primary meaning.  However, could a secondary meaning be that she is the one who got away with kidnap and maiming?  In fact she may have gotten away with two other crimes, against Gregson's daughter's partner and against a perpetrator's sister.  Gregson essentially informed Sherlock that he was giving her a two hour lead to get away with the last one.  I may be wrong about the double meaning, but the title seemed like a clever one to me.

I would love to think that Kitty is out there (in the fictional Elementary world) without physical or emotional scars.  Not sure real life always works out that way, but I hope it does for her.

Well... WITH scars... but healing. :) Also... well... it could be interpreted that way as well but I don't feel it implied, nor I think this is what they meant. The show doesn't make that exact type of reference/comments, so if it is in that sense... it will be a bit out of the blue.

• Love 1
I know it's only been 3 episodes, but I can't wait for Kitty to leave/disappear/become murder victim-of-the-week.

This show's entertainment level for this viewer has gone way up since Kitty has departed.  She reminds me (looks and acting chops) of that lead who is ruining Agents of Shield.

• Love 1

I didn't hate Kitty at the beginning, but she definitely grows on you and by the end I was very very sad to see her go. The effect she has on Holmes and the Holmes/Watson relationship is great. Though I do agree that Kitty leaving has allowed the show to refocus on the Holmes/Watson central dynamic.

I hope they find a way (totally contrived is fine) to bring her back once or twice next season, esp if next season is the last.

She reminds me (looks and acting chops) of that lead who is ruining Agents of Shield.

While I'm with you on Coulson (Whedon was totally right - they shouldn't have brought him back for TV, both the show and the movie (retroactively) suffered from it), Kitty was played by an OK actress. She may have brought a bit too much anger to the character, which made her less likable, but it made sense. It also made her eventual defrosting more effective when she became close with both Sherlock and Joan. I wouldn't mind to see her in a different role, it would be nice to know her range.

Also, the fact that the show is really struggling with its story now that she's gone definitely makes me think her departure was a decision based on the first reactions. Otherwise it's really weird that a show has a arc for the first half but produced a bunch of stand-alones for the second.

Edited by FurryFury

Also, the fact that the show is really struggling with its story now that she's gone definitely makes me think her departure was a decision based on the first reactions. Otherwise it's really weird that a show has a arc for the first half but produced a bunch of stand-alones for the second.

No, I think the plan was always just for Kitty in the first half, the way her arc was paced even in those first few episodes indicated that it wouldn't sustain a full 24-episode season. I'm wondering if a Moriarty arc was planned for the second half given her voiceover appearance in episode 14 hinted at a return, but Natalie Dormer was unavailable and so we just got stand-alones and a loose two-episode Alfredo story instead. Oh well, there's always next season.

Edited by Mathius

Yeah, I guess it's also possible. Such a shame they didn't cast anybody else as Moriarty. I mean, I like Dormer and she was good, but the show is on another level when Moriarty's on screen, and her absence is felt too deeply.

Would another actress playing Moriarty be nearly as effective as Natalie Dormer, though? I'm not convinced. I don't think Dormer's the ONLY person who could pull it off, but I think there are very few actresses that could.

Didn't someone say a while ago that they'd run across an article claiming that Kitty was initially supposed to be around all season and then later the decision was made to make it a half-season arc only? Does anyone have a link? I'd be curious to read the article.

Edited by stealinghome
Would another actress playing Moriarty be nearly as effective as Natalie Dormer, though? I'm not convinced. I don't think Dormer's the ONLY person who could pull it off, but I think there are very few actresses that could.

I liked her performance but I really don't think it's that hard to find another actress able to pull it off. Mostly, I'm just mad we probably won't get anything resembling an arc with her until, at best, the end of the show (and even that's unlikely). I guess the overall narrative arc of the show matters more to me than an individual performance, and I feel like this arc basically demands the re-emergence of Moriarty at this point. I mean, if I were plotting the show, I'd get her out of prison at the end of season 3 and then spend season 4 (which is 99% likely to be the last, based on ratings) on periodical clashes between Sherlock/Joan and her.

Didn't someone say a while ago that they'd run across an article claiming that Kitty was initially supposed to be around all season and then later the decision was made to make it a half-season arc only? Does anyone have a link? I'd be curious to read the article.

Yeah I also remember reading something like this. Even if it didn't happen, I could understand why one would think so, the transition from "3A" (to borrow the term from other shows) to "3B" felt quite jarring.

I stopped watching because of Kitty also. Which episode did she leave in, please? I'll start rewatching after that, see if I can still get into this show. Thanks.

She left in episode 12, but whenever you stopped watching I would recommend picking up from there since the character of Kitty and her story arc improved dramatically and said episode 12 was a very good episode.

I don't but it, since this article here put up before the season premiere is pretty blatant in saying that Kitty's arc will only last for the first half of the season, flat-out spoiling that Del Gruner would be coming in at the end of the first half.

http://tvline.com/2014/10/29/elementary-season-3-spoilers-joan-sherlock-kitty/

So if Kitty was planned for the full season, those plans were scrapped VERY early on.

Edited by Mathius
She left in episode 12, but whenever you stopped watching I would recommend picking up from there since the character of Kitty and her story arc improved dramatically and said episode 12 was a very good episode.

Agreed--I think ep 12 was probably the best episode of the entire season.