Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Goldmine

Cranberry

Nick pretends to be gay to make his status as Jess' "ex" less of an issue to her new beau. To Coach's annoyance, Winston works his "Long Game" on their attractive neighbors, Michelle and Viv. Meanwhile, Schmidt panics when Cece considers having a breast reduction.

I am pleasantly surprised at how much the show has improved since last season.  It's very hard generally for shows to re-capture their magic once they've gone off-course.  I am so happy that this show is an exception.  

The highlight this week was Schmidt saying goodbye to CeCe's boobs.  That scene cracked me up!

• Love 3

Ahh, they are clearly starting the slow roll to putting Nick and Jess back together.  

While that does appear to be the end goal, I'm impressed by just how much of a slow role it seems to be. At this point, I could buy them genuinely just being good friends without a sexual relationship. 

Which is pretty impressive for a show that went so hard with Nick & Jess just last season.

I enjoyed this episode. Got a few laughs out of me.

I thought Jess' new BF Ian looked a bit like Nick...hoodie, scruffy beard.  Just me?

Love Winston and I want to see more of him succeeding at whatever...job, girls etc.  I loved Damon Wayans Jr. on Happy Endings but I just can't  warm up to Coach. 

How does CeCe think her boobs are too big?  She looks perfectly proportioned to me.  In some scenes I think Jess' boobs look bigger! Loved Schmidt's reaction to her reduction news however.

• Love 2

I thought Cece wanting a breast reduction was ridiculous. She seems to have nice ones, but they're not that big to warrant the operation. 

Loved when Coach said Ian would run thru the wall like the Kool-Aid man if Jess told him about living with her ex. That's such a great image. And of course Winston wants Ian to wear moose antlers.

I liked when Jess called Nick's dates "tavern folks," prompting Nick to say, "Have some respect. They're called Uh-Ohs."

Something about the way Winston said, "I am PO'd, hombre," cracked me up.

Loved their neighbors doing rock paper scissors to see who would sleep with Winston.

I also liked the way Nick said, "Get off of me! You're not a man!" after his date kissed him.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 3

How does CeCe think her boobs are too big?  She looks perfectly proportioned to me.  In some scenes I think Jess' boobs look bigger! 

Totally agree. Silly B Story! (Actually, more like C Story. Definitely not D Story.) :)

Edited by AManfred
  • Love 5

Ahh, they are clearly starting the slow roll to putting Nick and Jess back together.

I certainly hope not, because that's what totally ruined last season for me. It changed the whole vibe of the show. I would hope the writers realized that which is why they ended it. This season has been so much better than last season, all the characters feel more like they did in the first season. Loved Nick rambling about the kinds of men he dated. Drowsers, heh.

• Love 1

I'm about Cece's age and breast size and I can relate to her desire to have smaller breasts for many reasons.  At our age they start to sag.  Big breasts are really out of fashion.  They're very hard to dress.  Imagine a button down shirt over C cups.  It's a disaster.  It doesn't fit.  You can see everything.  Work clothes like that are always made for a male-type body, but what if I want to wear professional clothes like that too.  

I've had guys name my breasts guys' names too.  I've never understood that.  That's like me naming a penis a woman's name.  No, I wouldn't.  Wouldn't a straight man want to name the breasts girls' names?  Are you impressed with my super intellectual question?

People always make fun of me because I actually am attracted to Drowsers, i.e. Sleepy guys.  It was funny having Nick run down his type of guys because the really quirky ones, I could certainly relate.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I was amused by the idea of "I'm terrible at lying but I'm great at pretend."

I intensely dislike the Guys Fight Over Girls storylines, so Coach v. Winston annoyed me. It makes the women seem like trophies, not people. I find it unfunny and annoying. I even prefer Nick's bar trawling revolving hook-ups to that. Coach comes off like a total asshole not only to the women but also to Winston, who's supposed to be his friend. And Winston doesn't seem much better. The women also seem like bimbos. It's just not funny to me.

Also, why are we seeing Winston and Coach split off by themselves so often now? They used to be part of the group.

• Love 2

I was amused by the idea of "I'm terrible at lying but I'm great at pretend."

I intensely dislike the Guys Fight Over Girls storylines, so Coach v. Winston annoyed me. It makes the women seem like trophies, not people. I find it unfunny and annoying. I even prefer Nick's bar trawling revolving hook-ups to that. Coach comes off like a total asshole not only to the women but also to Winston, who's supposed to be his friend. And Winston doesn't seem much better. The women also seem like bimbos. It's just not funny to me.

Also, why are we seeing Winston and Coach split off by themselves so often now? They used to be part of the group.

To be fair, they weren't fighting over women so much as they were fighting over the way they went after the women. And ultimately the women were using Winston by flaunting their sexuality when they clearly had no interest in him. That said, it's never worth reading too much into sitcoms.

This season has shown us a lot of different group pairings. We got a lot of Jess+Nick, Winston+Coach, and Schmidt+CeCe here. 

• Love 1

To be fair, they weren't fighting over women so much as they were fighting over the way they went after the women. And ultimately the women were using Winston by flaunting their sexuality when they clearly had no interest in him.

The women played paper-rock-scissors, and the loser had to fuck Winston. Presumably the writers were trying to cover their bases by having the Alexandra Daddario character shrugged and say, "It's ok, I kinda want to." STILL CREPT ME THE HELL OUT.

• Love 6

So, on the one hand, obviously, a woman with breasts of any size can get a consultation for cosmetic surgery to make them smaller. However, the way it was framed made it seem like something CeCe had been wanting to do for a while, and waiting to do for a while. Did I dream it or did she say something like "since I have health insurance now"? Unless she had back pain and other major issues due to having very large breasts, insurance wouldn't cover that at all. Heck, I had a friend who had Fs and still had to jump through hoops with multiple alternate other "treatments" before her insurance would approve a reduction. It wasn't enough for the PCP to just say it was medically necessary, even though it was. So if it's not a medically necessary reduction, which...I really have a hard time believing would be the case... this is probably 10s of thousands of dollars. How much modeling money does she have saved away?

• Love 1

Right, but her breasts don't look to me anywhere near as large as the folks I've known who were able to prove that a reduction were medically necessary. I mean, I get what they were going for, and I don't disagree they told us sufficiently, but it's been tell not show. Either that or for once a television program did not emphasize the size of someone's breasts and somehow made them seem smaller than they are (until now when it became a plotline). She never struck me as someone large enough to have that problem. So just saying it didn't really work for me except as direct funnel for "we want to see Schmidt have that goodbye scene", which, while admittedly hilarious, struck me as the entire reason they came up with that plot.

• Love 1

I started rewatching New Girl recently after being disappointed by last season, but this episode rubbed me the wrong way.

There were some very funny moments, but the dual themes of Winston expecting quid pro quo for being a helpful "nice" guy and Schmidt treating Cece's breasts like his own property made me wonder if a bunch of frat boys infiltrated the writing staff.

I saw The Mindy Project go the route of bro humor and I fervently hope New Girl doesn't follow suit.

this was the funniest episode in a while- i had sort of lost my love for this show, but this one is making it creep back. Nick playing gay made me laugh more than it probably should have and his girl's line "don't die, Myron" was the line of the night for me. 

they lost me with the rock-paper-scissors for Winston, though. that was gross AND insulting.

on a shallow note, this is the best Zooey has looked in a long time. 

i, too, am curious as to why it was called Goldmine...

i, too, am curious as to why it was called Goldmine...

This episode was a re-run this week.  I'm guessing the title "Goldmine" comes from getting sex from the attractive neighbors.  Better not be due to Cece considering breast reduction!