Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E11: Week 9: America's Choice

• Start Topic

The six remaining couples on “Dancing with the Stars” will dance to a song and dance style voted on by viewers for “AMERICA’S CHOICE” night on MONDAY, NOVEMBER 10 (8:00-10:01 p.m., ET). For the first time ever, America has creative control of the couples’ first dance, asking fans throughout the week via Twitter, Facebook and Instagram for their input on wardrobe, set design and visual effects. Each couple will perform two full routines including an individual original dance and a trio dance. For the trio dance, couples had the opportunity to pick an eliminated pro or troupe member to enhance their performance and highlight the strengths of each star. The trio dance styles include the Argentine Tango, Paso Doble, Samba and Foxtrot. At the end of the night, one couple will be eliminated and five couples will move on to the semi-finals.

The “Trio Groups” are:

Alfonso Ribeiro, Witney Carson and Lindsay Arnold

Bethany Mota, Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani

Janel Parrish, Valentin Chmerkovskiy and Keo Motsepe

Lea Thompson, Artem Chigvintsev and Henry Byalikov

Sadie Robertson, Mark Ballas and Emma Slater

Tommy Chong, Peta Murgatroyd and Sharna Burgess

Carrie Ann is such a moron. Her comments make no sense. I hope Alfonso tunes her out. Peta's dress is ugly but the dance was sweet. I have to laugh at the whole "shocking elimination" because everyone has expected Lea or Tommy to go home for a few weeks now. 

• Love 1

Considering Tommy is the worst dancer left I guess anyone else going tonight will be a shock but since Lea was pretty low on the leaderboard last week I dont know if it would be considered that shocking. But ack Tommy being safe makes me nervous. And these judges as usual sound like idiots tonight.  Len's comments to Alfonso sounded like they were 10 worthy so what he gave him made no sense. Dont even get me started on Carrie-Ann.

• Love 1

They are totally lowballing Sadie again!!  Len is the only one who scored who as she should have been scored.  Does she not fit their game plan and are they trying to get rid of her??  Once again tonight, this show is ticking me off!!

• Love 3

I am beyond irritated with Carrie Ann and her chipmunk chortle.  She really seems like she has it in for Sadie, and Julianne's snarking at Mark is riding my last nerve.  Gah.

Did Janel and Val have to kiss?  Blech.  I didn't think they looked that good--there was a part in the middle where even I could tell Janel made a mistake, and I *never* see what the rest of you see.  So Sadie makes a mistake, and CAI marks her down, but Janel makes a mistake and CAI says best of the night?  Seriously?  This show is so fake.

Edited by magpye29
  • Love 6

LOTS of people are already complaining about how the judges completely disregarded Janel's obvious screw up and gave her 10's anyway, yet when others make mistakes the judges point out that a point has to be deducted.  I hope this constant overscoring backfires on these two in a huge way.

eta: if that Alfonso/Witney/Lindsay Paso didnt get a perfect score I would have really called foul.  That was unbelievable.

Edited by howmanywords
  • Love 3

The mistake really was on Val. I think it's fair to not ding Janel for that. That said, I have to say that I really enjoyed the reminder that Mark isn't just a zany choreographer but a danged spectacular dancer as well.

That never really stopped the judges before in terms of being nitpicky on certain people over others.   You kind of live or die as a team and I'd expect Val to take fault for any screw ups anyway, no matter what they may be.

• Love 1

I have to say that I really enjoyed the reminder that Mark isn't just a zany choreographer but a danged spectacular dancer as well.

That was part of the problem with it for me though - Mark outdanced Sadie, and it was really obvious when they were side by side. Maybe it was emphasized because her legs are longer and ganglier than his. That said, I liked the straight dancing rather than doing a crazy theme. I actually like crazy themes sometimes, but it's like how music sounds better when there's variation in it - I like a mix of high production and stripped down production. 

• Love 3

Tommy was beyond awful!!  How in the heck could they give that sevens??  The man is a druggie, did we really need the flying high comment?  And his hard remark was repulsive.

I really shouldn't let this show tick me off as much as it does.

• Love 9

That was part of the problem with it for me though - Mark outdanced Sadie, and it was really obvious when they were side by side. Maybe it was emphasized because her legs are longer and ganglier than his. 

Sure, sure.  I totally get that.  I have no problem admitting that I basically didn't watch her at all in that dance.  I didn't particularly feel the lack, but it certainly does kind of defeat the purpose.

Random, unrelated observation: I also appreciated Derek's doing a standing spin versus a fleckerl.  I have seen entirely too many really poorly executed fleckerls done before, and I don't just mean on the show.  Someone who's been dancing as long as the stars on this show have no business even trying to do one.

So, just to recap: everyone does a trio either with a troupe member or one of the winless fringe pros (Sharna, Emma) except for Derek, who gets to dance with Tony?!? Whatever, show. Guess it isn't a day that ends in '-y' if Golden Boy doesn't get some sort of blatant favoritism.

• Love 4

So, just to recap: everyone does a trio either with a troupe member or one of the winless fringe pros (Sharna, Emma) except for Derek, who gets to dance with Tony?!? Whatever, show. Guess it isn't a day that ends in '-y' if Golden Boy doesn't get some sort of blatant favoritism.

They could have chosen whoever they wanted from the current pro/troupe roster.  So if Witney or Peta or even Mark wanted people like Cheryl and Karina, they were up for grabs.  Tony and Keo are the only eliminated male pros so far this season, so they only had the two of them plus Henry and Sasha to choose from.

• Love 2

They could have chosen whoever they wanted from the current pro/troupe roster.  So if Witney or Peta or even Mark wanted people like Cheryl and Karina, they were up for grabs.  Tony and Keo are the only eliminated male pros so far this season, so they only had the two of them plus Henry and Sasha to choose from.

Thank you.  Derek picking Tony isn't some kind of favoritism.  Come on now.

Ugh.  Well, Sadie finally got her perfect score.  Guess all her fans can stop crying now.  And Mark can stop whining and having fits, too.

Edited by superdeluxe
  • Love 3

Yeah, there were only four male pros/troupe members up for grabs - who else would you have Derek choose? Any of the lower scoring pairs from last week could have chosen Tony if they wanted - that includes Artem, Mark, and Peta, if she had wanted a male pro for some reason.

Tom was so cute with Sadie, putting the mic down and whispering, "They might not have noticed." (Turns out they didn't.)

• Love 4

Have to just say that Tom was incredibly sweet with Sadie. He immediately saw she was upset and talked to just her to reassure her.

Also, I hate the song they used for Alfonso's trio, but that dance was awesome.

Janel messing up and still getting 10s??? I understand it's mostly Val's fault but I wish there was some consistency in scoring if there is indeed a "mistake".

• Love 5
They could have chosen whoever they wanted from the current pro/troupe roster.  So if Witney or Peta or even Mark wanted people like Cheryl and Karina, they were up for grabs.  Tony and Keo are the only eliminated male pros so far this season, so they only had the two of them plus Henry and Sasha to choose from.

This. It's something isn't - Val and Janel get two 10's for a dance that Val owned up to messing up on and still the cries of favoritism about Derek come simply because he danced with Tony. Seriously... Speaking of Val and Janel, others have already said it but yeah major bullshit on those two 10's. Not only was there a very obvious stumble in the dance where Val all but dragged Janel along for a second when it happened but Janel's frame didn't get good until the second half of the dance. That was ridiculous. 

Meanwhile, I feel like Sadie's either stalled or her technique was never that great and it's catching up with her now. That was not a good Jive and I don't think she was underscored at all. I do agree with the judges that Jive is very hard for really tall and leggy women which is why I still fall in love with Zendaya's gorgeous Jive in only the second week of her season. But that said, Sadie seemed to just be flailing around for a lot of the dance. There were moments that were good and cute and like she always does she went for it but her flicks and her kicks were not good at all and her arms weren't that great either. 

• Love 9

Did Janel really have to stick her head between Val's legs not once, but twice?

I thought the dance was really cool, but that really yanked me right out of it!

Edited by magpye29
  • Love 7

It appeared that the judges all caught a bad case of "pulling 10s out of their asses itis".

Good grief, I was just glad Alfonso was safe, I really do hope he can take it all. I thought both his dances were the best of the night. He just showed incredible skill and focus and technique and he's really showing growth I feel as well, he is getting better and better week to week. Even with the injuries and all he hasn't peaked or dropped his level.

I just love how he is the best of both worlds, he has an amazing personality and he's a great dancer who is growing right before my eyes.

Edited by CPP83
  • Love 10

Janel and Val are getting away with a lot.  "Not enough salsa content" and still almost a perfect score.  A very obvious slip and a perfect score.  And people are screaming favoritism about Derek?

I almost wonder though if this is because they need to ensure Janel gets to the finals and she isn't drawing the fan support they expected as compared to Sadie and Bethany.  

• Love 2

That was definitely not a surprise exit. Looks like that's the end of the season for me. Which is fine because the level of BS on this show is just too much to take. The judges are ridiculously inconsistent and the producer manipulation is just too in your face. At least Lea went out on a high note. Don't be surprised when Bethany or Janel takes home the mirrorball trophy. 

Edited by Dancingjaneway
  • Love 2

Did you expect higher or lower?  (I really can't tell.)

I would have given her eights.  Normally Len knocks a few points off when someone does not do the dance they were assigned.so I thought at least he would give her an eight.

Thoroughly enjoyed Witfonso's Paso with Lindsey, and the way they got Tom to jump with them as they played out to commercial after judge's comments.

Don't know what it is about Lea I'm sometimes put off by, insecurity juxtaposed with overdoing the 53 years old/cougar attitude?...you can own your strength and beauty without having to be the one to mention it. Classy send-off at the end of the show, she is sincere and I like that aspect.

Loved Bethany, Derek and Tony's AT. Nice to see Tony and Derek dance together, and laughed at Tony's joke in the package to the effect of dancing with someone you used to babysit. ha

Mark made some sweet lemonade out of the lemons of Henry being 'taken from him' by Artem and did a great dance with Emma instead. Risk rewarded.

Liked the Janel, Val and Keo performance, though halfway through I found myself saying "what dance is this supposed to be" because I wasn't paying attention at the start to hear salsa.

• Love 3

I haven't watched much of this season until tonight.  The overscoring drives me crazy!  The show would be so much more interesting  (at least to me) if the scoring was generally lower and only excellent performances were awarded 10s. 

Edited by Jewelz
  • Love 3

Why, why, why is Tommy still here?  yes, he's charming but seriously, the poor man needs to go home and rest.  (I did think it was great that his daughter Rae Dawn was in the audience last week, it was the first time I'd seen her there). 

The music this evening seriously sucked, big time.  Just really awful.  Its been pretty bad all season but tonight was especially heinous.  The only number I really liked was the Sadie/Mark/Emma one even if I wasn't to thrilled with the dance.

Sadie is really just not that great.  I can't believe the judges didn't notice her screw up at the end.  They've been so quick to call out others on their screw ups but its like Kelly Osbourne all over again with the over praising.  But then so many of the participants have been overpraised this season.

• Love 3

Mark's bitterness was off-putting in the Trio dance package (plus, way to make Emma feel unwanted!) Sadie did an awesome job with it though. I thought she looked stiff at the end, and rewatching it you can see she was a hair off from Emma, but she recovered well. Her tears were sweet too.

With her 40, I think four of the remaining couples have had perfect scores. That's pretty rare, right? Last I can remember was All-Stars? Or maybe even back to Season 8?

Tommy's comment after his Trio dance was hilarious. I'm glad to see another side of Peta where she laughs and smiles a little more and isn't always trying to be super sexy.

Shows how much I know, since I totally thought Janel's Trio was supposed to be a samba - which is why I thought the tribal theme was odd given Shawn, Derek and Mark had done one before.

I am unsurprised at the exit of Leah, and I was ready for her to go. I must be 30-going-on-Len's-age because I also really really hated "Turn Down For What" as a paso song. Alfonso rocked it but that song was awful. 

Loved Bethany/Tony/Derek and Mark/Sadie/Emma. Though I did notice Sadie mess up at the end, and if I noticed it I would think the judges might. Maybe not from their angle. But she was so adorable in beating herself up about it I'm glad they got their 10's. Janel's trio had moments I thought looked really great and moments that seemed awkward - mostly transitions into and out of lifts. And I don't even mean her head between Val's legs, they just seemed to take slightly too long to set up and get out of. 

I thought the Sadie/Mark jive critiques and scores were fair. Not a good jive from Sadie, and Mark didn't help by dancing full out to overshadow her. Alfonso and Bethany were my favorite of the first round. The Janel/Val screwup seemed to be on Val, so I'm okay with them not marking her for it - though I did think they'd be called out for taking too long to get into the dance. 

Tommy just is. I don't mind him staying over Leah - people like to see a 76 year old still in it, so I don't mind him being scored on a curve. It's fun to see him hang in there though. His dances don't really interest me though. 

• Love 3
A very obvious slip and a perfect score.  And people are screaming favoritism about Derek?

This but let's face it, at this point "Derek and favoritism" is like a mantra now no matter what happens on the actual show. Like the fact that in my opinion, Bethany was underscored tonight. I was fine with her 36 for the VW because the dance felt a little short to me but when the judges are throwing around 10's when a couple has an obvious slip, the Pro OWNS up to the mistake, the celebrity's frame is not that great, then it kind of makes no sense that Bethany who had a gorgeous frame and was technically sound throughout her dance only gets 9's. Similarly, I thought Bethany reverted back to being a little tentative with the AT and maybe having the extra Pro overwhelmed her which is why I sort of understood what Carrie Ann was saying, but at least the dance was an AT.

Julianne says there wasn't a lot of content in Janel's trio dance but she doesn't care - like the hell? And I was liking Julianne before this but she wasn't making any sense tonight with her scoring for Janel. I have always said I don't do the Grassy Knoll thing but I'm seriously starting to wonder about Janel's viewer votes and if this is the producers' attempt to ensure Tommy goes home next week because this just made no damn sense. 

Meanwhile Lea's elimination was a surprise to no one...well it wasn't a surprise to me. Hell half of the judges' comments to her felt like a "thanks for playing but bye now." Plus I'm kind of glad she's gone because her trying to be sexy rather than just being naturally sexy was getting a wee bit uncomfortable to watch. That shimmy over Artem in the Samba was yeah...

I applaud Mark's having to choreograph a Foxtrot with two women and then having to make sure Emma didn't upstage Sadie and the dance was certainly nice but in no freaking way was that a perfect dance. And I honestly almost felt like this was a pity 40 because maybe the judges and hell the producers are tired of listening to Mark whinging about his and Sadie's scores. Hell Sadie, like Val, copped to forgetting the choreography. The biggest thing that drove me crazy about Sadie in that dance were her arms. I guess her legs were covered up so I couldn't tell what was really going on there but just like the Jive, her arms were just sort of flailing around.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

Mark's bitterness was off-putting in the Trio dance package

Mark was not shown to be bitter at all IMO.  He had probably already started planning what he wanted to do and had to scrap those plans and revise everything.  I am so glad that they got a forty because it was amazing!!  I am sure Emma understood how much more difficult it was for him to put together a good dance with her instead of a male pro.

• Love 1

That was definitely not a surprise exit. Looks like that's the end of the season for me. Which is fine because the level of BS on this show is just too much to take. The judges are ridiculously inconsistent and the producer manipulation is just too in your face. At least Lea went out on a high note. Don't be surprised when Bethany or Janel takes home the mirrorball trophy. 

If Bethany wins I'll be fine because it would be the result of her growing and improving every week, and having a great pro who always brings out the best in his partners.  Not to mention it is well known she has a rabid fanbase.  Janel however is getting her ass kissed and being handed high scores despite mistakes. When a judge says "not enough content but who cares"? I call bullshit. For others they called out on it. IMO she wont win unless they flat out rig the results.  The way shes being overscored and propped up smacks of someone they want in the finals but isnt pulling in the votes.

Edited by howmanywords
  • Love 7

Was it my imagination, or when Janel was talking about rehearsing their last dance, it said "Bethany Mota" on the screen? Like not even the producers can tell them apart?

Lots of overscoring, but lots of great dancing, too. This show is so much better when they stick with ballroom (at least loosely).

• Love 1

Sadie is really just not that great.

However, she's the only one left who has no prior dance experience.  Given that, I think she's doing very well, and honestly, I just like to watch her. 

I like Bethany's growth, too--she really seems to have blossomed.  I really enjoyed Janel's trio (the first dance of hers that completely held my attention) until that one move that totally put me off.  I did not care for Tommy's trio, mostly because I think it's kind of creepily pervy that sex seems to be his and Peta's go-to.  I like Tommy a lot, and I'm not a prude, but it just seems out of place to be verbalizing it.  I think that's what keeps Peta from being elegant--she just kind of gives off a vulgar vibe sometimes, which is too bad, because sometimes she can be so vulnerable.

I guess I'm Team Alfonso now.  I don't think Sadie can win; I don't want Derek to win again even though I like Bethany; and I really don't want Janel to win.  Also, Witney is just adorable.  Alfonso for the win!

• Love 2

I love Val and I can't stand Derek getting the pass all the time, but even I can see that they're playing some sort of game with Janel's scores. I didn't really like Val or Derek's trios.  I love that Derek picked Tony, but I don't really feel that it worked for him.

Loved Mark's trio (and Mark is NOT a favourite of mine, NOR is Sadie); was saddened by Tommy's trio because he danced so little and Sharna was so obviously holding him up at the end.  Loved Witney's trio (usually can't stand Witney or Lindsey) and Artem's trio was pretty damn entertaining, and Lea killed that dance.

I am so sick of the judges.  CAI is the worst, but I can no longer forgive Bruno his incessant posturing either.  I've always hated Julianne as a talking head and have not been any more pleased with her judging than I thought I was going to be.  Len is sometimes tolerable (mostly when Tom is making jokes at his expense).

• Love 4

I thought everyone's dances in the first half were nice, nothing major stuck out to me, just generally enjoyable to watch. But then the trios started and BAM! Energy! Everything perked up!

I LOVED Alfonso's paso. LOVED it. And while his two dance partners were excellent, my eyes stayed on Alfonso, he was so fantastic. Well deserved 10's all around. SO good.

I also loved Bethany's dance with Derek and Tony. I thought it was one of her best dances and very well choreographed and danced by all 3. 

I don't usually get into Janel's performances. Sometimes it seems like she's trying too hard and being a bit melodramatic. And the "are they / aren't they" bullshit doesn't help. But I really did enjoy her trio dance tonight. The only thing distracting was that ridiculous splayed legs move where the woman's crotch is in her partner's face (it's never sexy to me), but the moves that followed it, where they were going for Cirque moves and balanced her body between both guys... that looked really cool. I don't think she deserved all 10's for her first dance, especially with the stumbling going on, but her trio dance was wonderfully synchronized and I liked it a lot.

I think it's disappointing that Lea went before Tommy - it really was his time to go (and wow, will Michael never be out of my sight?? the camera on him repeatedly tonight drove me nuts) - but I do think she's been too tentative. I think Carrie Annie hit the nail on the head with one of her critiques of Lea, how she said Lea has this powerful sharp side that comes out occasionally like gangbusters but then she pulls it back in and acts like "I should be doing proper dancing like a ballerina." That is definitely Lea. She has this fiery side, we see it emerge in her package moments and after she finishes a dance and I think we saw it her first week, but after that she pulled into this too-graceful-moves dancer. Her trio dance tonight was good, but it could have been great if her moves had been even sharper and full of more attitude. I feel like she shows the most attitude in talking with the judges and Tom after she finishes each dance. If she could have channeled that into all her performances, she would have bulldozed over all the other women in the competition. Especially with those awesome legs. 53? WOW, Lea. Kudos.

• Love 2