Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Miracles

Rachael refuses treatment for the virus, fearing for her unborn child. The anti-Returned hate group, 'True Living' grows in numbers, including Deputy Carl. Elaine's brother Ray contracts the virus, despite the fact that he's living and not Returned. Brian Addison shows more than a passing interest in Margaret.

Rachael refuses treatment for the virus, fearing for her unborn child. The anti-Returned hate group, 'True Living' grows in numbers, including Deputy Carl. Elaine's brother Ray contracts the virus, despite the fact that he's living and not Returned. Brian Addison shows more than a passing interest in Margaret.

Could this show become any more soap-operish.  

Will the baby become immune to the virus and thus become the savior for the Resurrected ?   Because the unborn baby is ALSO a double returnee, so it should be extra special.

Ray contracts the virus .... because he's Ray (is he one of the living, but maybe he's a Resurrected too only no one knew it).  And no one watching will even care .. because it's Ray.

Has Grandpa Addison got a chub-on for Bitchy Grandma -- and just using Kyle Secor as a proxy to seek revenge on her specifically or some other bullshit ?  Maybe he's an old boyfriend that she dissed before becoming a Langston.

Blah, blah, blah -- anti-Returned hate group recruit some new members.  No one really cares .... because it's Ray's pet project.

• Love 1

And the show opens with Rachel -- at the factory (fuck ! Enough with factory already) apparently in a dream shot using the same filters that Barbara Walters uses during her interviews, having visions of young Bitchy Grandma and the fire at the factory where Grandpa Addison apparently died in the fire.  Are Rachel and BG dream sharing ?  Did Grandpa Addison also share in the dream ?

Pastor Tom gets cockblocked by Maggie's phone call, but apparently Mrs. Tom/Janine has gotten over her jealousy issues.  Janine states that God wants "us" to have this baby (this baby being Rachel's baby) -- I think Janine has ulterior motives and wants to keep the baby and kill off Rachel.

Maybe Ray is a Resurrected -- only no one knows it -- that's why he has the virus, which appears to have progressed REALLY, REALLY fast. Except for the bleeding from the ears, Ray looked about as active as normal sitting in that chair.

BG is now having dinner dates with Brian Addison -- that seemed to happen really fast considering they just met minutes beforehand in the episode. Is BG a bit of a ho ?  And he brings her back to his house for nightcap (wink, win, nudge, nudge, say no more, say no more) only BG bolts after spotting a picture of Grandpa Addison on the wall.  And for some reason, Grandpa Addison freaks on his grandson for almost screwing up the plan  -- is he seriously just out for revenge ?  Because that is so boring.  We learn that BG's father was a foreman for Edward Langston at the factory, and BG married a Langston (Warren).

Maggie conveniently left her keys in Rachel's room just as Pastor Tom/Bellamy are shooting her up with the mystery drug so that she can stop it.  Really ?  Who writes this melodramatic shit ?

Maggie gets all pissy about Bellamy's lying after he outs himself as a Resurrected.  And 5 minutes later she's perfectly fine with Bellamy in the bar.  Oh, yeah, you're Resurrected, no big deal, we all have problems -- WTF ?

Get out your torches and pitchforks, a mob is coming for the Resurrected.  Only instead of killing them, they mark the doors of the homes of Resurrected with inverted red crosses.  Because ...... why exactly ?  Do the members of The Truly Living also think the Resurrected are demons -- because they didn't come off as a really religious group ?

Rachel is all better -- but we know Janine gave her the drugs.  And no, not it's not a miracle.

• Love 2

So the returned disappear when they lose hope per Grandma's discouragement, and they have renewed life after someone expresses faith and a desire for them to stay per Preacher's Wife?

And Henry is seeking investers even before he has a business plan and budget outline? Huh?

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 2

I don't think we saw Janine give Rachel the drugs?  Either way, she's going to have a lot of explaining to do when Rachel is dying again in 12 hours.  Janine's motives are definitely not as holy as she wants people to think.  At least Tom seems to be catching on.

Ray is being written as a completely different character.  He seemed "off" last season, even with his speech pattern but they're playing him totally differently. 

Was anyone else hoping that Grandpa Addison was going to trap Grandma in the house and set it on fire?  Just me?  

• Love 3

I just can hardly stand that sadsack pastor, and his wife obviously wants to raise the baby once it is born (and I have a feeling she won't give a crap about Rachel's feelings on the matter).  Maybe she'll find out Bitchy Grandma's patented surefire method of getting rid of "demons" or something.  And seriously, I thought the whole thing about Rachel refusing the shot was kinda stupid.  Isn't the baby probably going to have the flu also, since it is being born to an infected mother?

Well, I'm ready for the Young Angry Grandpa and the Restore the Factory plots to be over.  And the Truly Living (or whatever it's called) plot can go anytime, too.  Painting menacing red marks on the doors of houses that have Returned inside is so...ineffective.  That's gonna do diddly squat for stopping the spread of the Flu-bola.  Why didn't they have Elaine at least wear a mask when she was visiting Ray at the clinic before he was put into isolation?

Edited by Blue Plastic

So Maggie was no longer a basket case this week. Ok, whatever,  Then Bellamey is like, I am a returned... she is like "whatever". Though, is it just me or what was she on about with the whole... you should have told me. Maggie, he is your roommate and a federal agent. First, what relation are you to him, really? You have only known him for a little while. And he only kept quiet for a week. She was off with that one. Even if she was saying it as a doctor patient (Rachel) he did tell her she had to trust him. 

Most of the other plot seems wayyy meandering. 

What is going on with Maggie's father and Rays sister? I mean he is a little old for her no?  I suppose I would like that they are just friends but I have a feeling no one does that plot these days.

Confused by the Pastor's reaction to Rachel getting better.  The wife was acting strange, crediting it to a miracle, but we all know something else is going on.  WTH is up with the dream sharing, that is very strange.  So if BG came back, how come her husband,  Fred and Red's dad not come back?  Poor Frances Fisher has been reduced to 5 mins an episode.  Maggie and Fred have gotten over Barbara being gone pretty fast.  Stupidest scene of the show, wimpy deputy forced to apologize to moron Ray by Elaine or he will be cut off!  Geez I hate Elaine and Ray.  I used to feel sorry for that deputy, but he is just a jerk.

Ray contracts the virus .... because he's Ray (is he one of the living, but maybe he's a Resurrected too only no one knew it).  And no one watching will even care .. because it's Ray.

I actually thought he may be faking to make people think they are in danger and turn against the returned. 

Are we supposed to recognize who that investor's grandfather is? From some place other than Margaret's dream?

Gee, we have the menfolk making medical decisions for a pregnant woman against her will. Now there are two characters--Marty and the pastor--I can never root for again. 

At least they admitted they were wrong...after they got caught.

While I respect Rachel's right to make the decision, no one actually made the case to her that if she goes poof, the baby does too? Does she think it will stay behind, incubator ready at this point?

So, Grandma tells a back story out of a lesser Tennessee Williams play to a complete stranger who is also a potential investor? Who the heck does that? It was so clearly meant for us the audience, not him, terrible writing. And, he forgot to take the family photos down? Dark Helmet assured us that "Good is dumb" but clearly evil is not too bright either.

The flu is not magical, and yeah, we know how it spreads. I hate the "Returned plague" anyway, but trying to tie it to something real while refusing to make it behave like a real disease, is just aggravating.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 2
Are we supposed to recognize who that investor's grandfather is? From some place other than Margaret's dream?

Nope. The first time we saw him was the reveal at the end of last week's episode, and until we were introduced to Brian Addison as an investor the Addison name had never been mentioned before.

• Love 1
I didn't see Janine give Rachel the drugs! If that happened, did Tom know? He was pretty disgusted with her at the end, and I was confused about why, but that would serve as some explanation.

It never even occurred to me that Janine gave Rachel the medication until I saw it mentioned here, but I think it is quite plausible.  I'm definitely getting a manipulative vibe from her.  Maybe she plans to keep dosing Rachel until the baby is born and then cut her off. 

I don't think Tom has any idea about how or why Rachel might have recovered, and I'm not sure I think he was disgusted with Janine, but I do think he has come to realize he is still in love with Rachel and is on the verge of coming clean to Janine.

I don't think Janine gave Rachel the vaccine.  Where would she have gotten it?  Bellamy has his supply and Maggie has the rest.  Neither is just letting it sit out in the open and there is such a limited supply that a missing  vial would be noticed. Tom is definitely getting ready to kick her to the curb though.  She's kind or creeping me out a little. Her willingness to accept the situation was one thing, but then she told Tom, "God wants us to have this baby", something he caught too, and now it's just weird.  When she sat next to the hospital bed, she was talking to the baby, encouraging him, Rachel could have been an incubator for all she cared.

• Love 1

While I respect Rachel's right to make the decision, no one actually made the case to her that if she goes poof, the baby does too? Does she think it will stay behind, incubator ready at this point?

I think Rachel has this idea that her return (and the baby) just is painful for Tom and a mistake and she would like to just go away and let him get on with his life.  Now, that could actually have been a good plot to explore (maybe some returned didn't want to come back) but they missed the boat so far on it and it makes Rachel look like a simpleton.  I didn't see Jeanne give her the drugs either.

I feel bad for Jeanne. It must be a horrible position for her to be in. Why can't the drama just come from that. Why does she have to be some crazy that seems to want to steal the baby?

• Love 1
I didn't see Jeanne give her the drugs either.

Much like the way Maggie "conveniently" left her car keys in Rachel's room (why were her car keys out of her pocket in a patient's room in the first place, no one really knows, nor did they show us which would have been helpful), I figured she probably just put the needle with the drugs she took from Pastor Tom and put it on a shelf in Rachel's room, because Maggie is that bad of a doctor.  I figured Janine injected Rachel because Janine was acting so shady, either that or Maggie injected Rachel anyway -- but just decided not to tell anyone.  Long story short, someone injected Rachel with the drugs, it's just a matter of time until we find out.

They really need to work on their script work better -- Tom and Bellamy each have separate conversations with Maggie at the medical clinic.  Tom and Bellamy then leave the medical clinic together in order to go to the hospital to inject Rachel with the drug, only to meet Maggie coming out of Rachel's room at the hospital (where she tells them she just got called back to the clinic).  How did Maggie get Rachel's room to the hospital from her office at the clinic so quickly ? 

Much as I like Michelle Fairley, Margaret has really taken over the show, and the network is promoting her for all she's worth. What's weird is that she's referred to as "one evil woman" in the promo spots, but I haven't necessarily seen her be "evil" with the exception of talking Barbara into disappearing. Certainly she has an agenda, but I'm not convinced even the writers know what that is. Everyone involved (network, writers) just seem to be pushing the "Ooh, scarey Michelle Fairley" button without any rhyme or reason. Fred seems to be taking Barbara's disappearance in stride, that's for sure.Even Maggie seems to have gotten over it pretty quickly.

• Love 2

I think Rachel has this idea that her return (and the baby) just is painful for Tom and a mistake and she would like to just go away and let him get on with his life.  Now, that could actually have been a good plot to explore (maybe some returned didn't want to come back) but they missed the boat so far on it and it makes Rachel look like a simpleton.  I didn't see Jeanne give her the drugs either.

If this is so, why hasn't she either "let go" (a la Barbara and Caleb) or left town?  She seemed concerned that the anti-Flubola serum would hurt the baby so I got the impression that she at least wanted it to live, which would require her to also live at least long enough for the unborn baby to be viable.  Not sure if we've already come to the point of viability since the baby is supposedly growing super fast.  And that still doesn't address the fact that the baby could also very well have the Flu-bola so may die whether or not it is ever born.

Seeing the limited number of vials just laying exposed on Maggie's desk in her unlocked office was one of the most annoying Chekhov's anything ever. Still, i didn't think this:

...Rachel is all better -- but we know Janine gave her the drugs.  And no, not it's not a miracle.

And I don't see this either:

I don't think we saw Janine give Rachel the drugs?  Either way, she's going to have a lot of explaining to do when Rachel is dying again in 12 hours.  Janine's motives are definitely not as holy as she wants people to think.  At least Tom seems to be catching on....

--but maybe I'm interpreting Janine all wrong. I was thinking that at last they are depicting a sincere person of religious faith and forgiveness like some I have known--but probably not. Yes, she desperately wants a baby and sees this as an answer to that prayer--which Tom seems to be just now noticing--but I don't think she is likely to kill Rachel--but maybe that's just what the audience is supposed to think now so it can be a big shock later if Janine does kill Rachel--and I'm the only one falling for it.

If this is so, why hasn't she either "let go" (a la Barbara and Caleb) or left town?  .

I think she is torn. If she lets go and takes the baby with her Tom will hate her forever. But if she should succumb to the flu, through no fault of her own, because she didn't want to possibly hurt the baby... well how can you blame her?  It would basically be the struggle returned might feel on this show that could be explored that they might not want to be here but might feel some obligation to the people that suffered when they died.

• Love 1

I think Rachel feels like if she lives but the baby dies, she couldn't live with herself. So, she knows that if she dies the baby goes away too, but she'd rather they both be dead than only her.  This is a woman who killed herself a few weeks ago (in her mind), so she's clearly not the most stable person.

• Love 1
This is a woman who killed herself a few weeks ago (in her mind), so she's clearly not the most stable person.

And she was murdered in that same time frame, that certainly doesn't help her mental stability.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

I am assuming until proven otherwise that the scene with Janine and her hand on Rachel's abdomen was the magic healing moment, and that Janine is the devil.

Also, Marty had one 10 day supply for himself, and yet he's given how much, half? to Maggie to distribute as she sees fit? And he's willing to give up some to someone who does not want to be treated when they're literally going to completely run out in days? What? As if forcing drugs on a woman while she's unconscious were not ethically dubious enough, dude has WAY more reasons not to want to share.

I'm also confused as to why everyone in the town jumped to the conclusion Ray got sick= It's spreading to living and not Ray got sick=he must be Returned and we didn't know and neither did he. Especially Marty since the same thing just happened to him.

I need this show to start making a whole lot more sense, fast.

• Love 6

What is going on with Maggie's father and Rays sister? I mean he is a little old for her no?  I suppose I would like that they are just friends but I have a feeling no one does that plot these days.

I really like this small subplot. The last two episodes have show some more "bonding scenes" between them. I don't care how old he is. I think it would be sweet if they got together. They both seem pretty lonely. Age as they say is just a number. If two people are adults like Fred and Elaine are and they want to be together why  not. I just hope they pull the trigger on this plot and let it play out before the show comes to an end.

Meanwhile I hate that they are going to sacrifice Janine on the alter of Tom/Rachel. Turning her into an evil baby snatching creature will pave the way for Tom to leave her and be with his "true love". I like Janine and don't like they way this appears to be heading.

• Love 1

It's possible that Margaret is the Angel of Death (it looked like she was going to convince Rachel to "let go") and Janine is the Angel of Life.  I thought that it was telling that Janine believed in faith (or at least claimed to) and her "pastor" husband (who doesn't seem to have any faith in anything) didn't.  I'm not sure if that's what they intended (cuz it doesn't seem like many people got it) or not. 

• Love 1

I just can hardly stand that sadsack pastor, and his wife obviously wants to raise the baby once it is born (and I have a feeling she won't give a crap about Rachel's feelings on the matter).  

Her willingness to accept the situation was one thing, but then she told Tom, "God wants us to have this baby", something he caught too, and now it's just weird.  When she sat next to the hospital bed, she was talking to the baby, encouraging him, Rachel could have been an incubator for all she cared.

I could be off-base as to her motivations, but right now, I'm totally on Janine's side in this.  If some woman was having my husband's baby and wanted him to be part of it's life, you better bet I'm going to be a part of it, too.  And IMO, a good step-parent loves and treats her step-children as her own.  She might as well start now.

Seeing the limited number of vials just laying exposed on Maggie's desk in her unlocked office was one of the most annoying Chekhov's anything ever. Still, i didn't think this:And I don't see this either:--but maybe I'm interpreting Janine all wrong. I was thinking that at last they are depicting a sincere person of religious faith and forgiveness like some I have known--but probably not. Yes, she desperately wants a baby and sees this as an answer to that prayer--which Tom seems to be just now noticing--but I don't think she is likely to kill Rachel--but maybe that's just what the audience is supposed to think now so it can be a big shock later if Janine does kill Rachel--and I'm the only one falling for it.

You're not the only one.  I feel for Janine, she's caught in a very difficult situation, and she's dealing with it far better than I think I would.  I really hope they don't make her evil or crazy.

• Love 1
And IMO, a good step-parent loves and treats her step-children as her own.  She might as well start now.

I agree, but Janine seems to mentally airbrushing Rachel out of the picture.  Maybe not, and I'm reading it wrong, but that's what I see.  She wants Tom, her and the baby to be a beautiful little family.

• Love 1

I agree, but Janine seems to mentally airbrushing Rachel out of the picture.  Maybe not, and I'm reading it wrong, but that's what I see.  She wants Tom, her and the baby to be a beautiful little family.

No, you're probably right.  I would just like this show to surprise me, and not go the expected route with Janine.

I agree, but Janine seems to mentally airbrushing Rachel out of the picture. Maybe not, and I'm reading it wrong, but that's what I see. She wants Tom, her and the baby to be a beautiful little family.

I agree, FWIW. I think she is rationalizing everything by assuming that God feels so bad about their fertility difficulties that he had a surrogate priority shipped from Heaven. Once the baby is born, Rachel will disappear, Tom's faith will be restored and he'll realize that Janine is his one true love. All the other yucky, non-Lifetime late night programming stuff with other Returns is happening for...y'know, reasons.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 1