Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday TV Movies & (Non-Rankin Bass) Holiday Specials - General Discussion

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

I'm so glad you posted this because I DVRd a later showing based on this report, and this may be my favorite of the year. I loved the cast. The heroine and the guy had actual personalities, the supporting cast was great, the plot wasn't too stupid, and the setting was really nice. I did feel rather old, though, with Gregory Harrison playing the dad, when he was my pre-teen crush during the days of Logan's Run. I may rewatch this one.

It wasn't my favorite.  I agree it was different and in many ways better. Liam was a great love interest who both acted pretty normal, seemed in love with the girl from the first frame, and was good looking. But I just couldn't take the girl. She was too pirky for me and I didn't get that she was in love with Liam. After an entire move where she doesn't seem to understand love and seems to be manically searching for it... they didn't sell it that she has some revelation.  I thought she was kind of unlikable. 

Gregory Harrison was great as the dad and the ensemble had a great chemistry where I believed they were a real family. 

• Love 3

I missed most of A Charlie Brown Christmas yesterday, but I was able to catch, by chance, the very moment where Linus quotes The Bible on the birth of Jesus.  One of the best spoken and simply animated moments in cartoons.  Linus makes it so simple and pure without being abrasive or confrontational as some use it nowadays.

It's the fiftieth anniversary of How the Grinch Stole Christmas.  It's hard to determine whether this or "What's Opera, Doc" as Chuck Jones' greatest cartoon.

The message from both are essentially the same - commercial things don't make Christmas.  I wonder if we would react like The Whos did if we woke up Christmas and all our Christmas Gifts and food were stolen?  Probably not.

• Love 5

Oh, crap, so My Christmas Love (which I had high hopes for after all those enthusiastic reviews) has the same lead actress as last year's A Gift-Wrapped Christmas (a movie I strongly disliked, and felt was so bland on every level, lead actress included) ? *sigh* I really hope first impressions aren't always accurate, and i'll end up enjoying the movie nonetheless. After all, that's the last one I still have to watch this season, except for Jan 1st' A Rose for Christmas, and I'd prefer if it was a good one.

Edited by Kaoteek
On 12/18/2016 at 0:43 PM, againstthewind said:

Also loved A Christmas Love. It's probably my favorite this year. I was invested in everyone's story, no wacky hijinks and the characters seemed to behave like real people. Meredith hagner reminded me of someone - I couldn't pinpoint it.

I got Brittany Snow a little bit.

I wish the leads from Sleigh Bell Rings were in a better movie than one centered around a Sleigh. They had such great chemistry but the story was tedious. The lead actor has pretty good chemistry with his lead actresses, and I like his acting a lot.

Did anyone catch A Husband for Christmas with Vivika Fox? Didn't know if it was worth watching.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, twoods said:

I wish the leads from Sleigh Bell Rings were in a better movie than one centered around a Sleigh. They had such great chemistry but the story was tedious. The lead actor has pretty good chemistry with his lead actresses, and I like his acting a lot.

I agree. I've watched it a few times because I enjoy the characters and setting, but the story was so very dull. I think it needed a stronger conflict to keep us following the story to see what would happen. Then it would have been a winner.

I tried watching My Christmas Love after many folks I follow raved about it, but I just couldn't get into it. The lead actress acted way too young for my taste and I couldn't get into her previous movie so I was a bit hesitant here. I think the only saving grace was Bobby Campo and Gregory Harrison. Whenever they were on screen, especially interacting together, the movie felt like it elevated a bit to something with more substance. The lead and her sister seemed a bit caricature-ish. It was worth it to see Aaron O'Connell again, though. Give that man another Hallmark lead. Preferably with no shirt on...

As for my faves, I'd have to say I loved Merry Christmas. Baby and really liked A Cinderella Christmas and Christmas Swap overall. For Hallmark only, A December Bride (despite the annoying aunt and cousin), Sleigh Bells Ring and maybe Christmas List depending on my mood. But it's been a pretty lackluster season of premieres.

Edited by MissyPoo
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, MissyPoo said:

As for my faves, I'd have to say I loved Merry Christmas. Baby and Christmas Swap overall. For Hallmark only, A December Bride (despite the annoying aunt and cousin), Sleigh Bells Ring and maybe Christmas List depending on my mood. But it's been a pretty lackluster season of premieres.

I tried so hard to watch a December Bride. And I love Daniel Lissing but wow... I was instantly turned off by the way he played his character. His character Seth was way too manipulative.  Right from the start he seemed to be trying to manipulate her when she was in an awkward position and that annoyed me. Especially the insane... "we are getting married" which was way over the top.  But kind of served to trap her in his lie.  So disappointing. 

• Love 2

I turned it to the HMM yule log this morning to have some Christmas music playing in the background while opening presents and I think those puppies running around might be my favorite thing I've seen on this channel all season long. 

• Love 2

Well, time to complain.  I turned on ABC hoping to see The Disney Christmas parade, but all I've got is pop acts, family winning Disney trip stories, and yakety yaking.  There was probably two minutes of parade total.

Admittedly, I haven't seen the Disney Christmas parade in decades, but I still turned it on expecting a parade.  What gives?

2 minutes ago, bmoore4026 said:

Well, time to complain.  I turned on ABC hoping to see The Disney Christmas parade, but all I've got is pop acts, family winning Disney trip stories, and yakety yaking.  There was probably two minutes of parade total.

Admittedly, I haven't seen the Disney Christmas parade in decades, but I still turned it on expecting a parade.  What gives?

That's how its been for awhile now which is why I don't watch anymore

• Love 3
11 hours ago, twoods said:

Did anyone catch A Husband for Christmas with Vivika Fox? Didn't know if it was worth watching.

I felt the same about the sleigh movie.  Good actors and chem in desperate need of a better movie.  

I mentioned A Husband For Christmas earlier.  I found it to be awful.

3 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I felt the same about the sleigh movie.  Good actors and chem in desperate need of a better movie.  

I mentioned A Husband For Christmas earlier.  I found it to be awful.

Thanks! I must have missed that post.The previews looked terrible.

Saving Nine Lives of Christmas for tonight- never gets old. Also I DVRed a few that I liked this year since they are showing them commercial free today- Every Christmas Has A Story and Christmas in Homestead. The rest I can leave- what a disappointing season.

• Love 1
On 11/24/2014 at 9:14 PM, JenMD said:

I'm very pleased to say that I was about to have a little talk on the forums regarding to the movies and I've just found the perfect post on the perfect day. As  Top Film Production Companies recommends that don't just count the days, make the days count and Happy Christmas to everyone around the world and you as well. Have a great evening. Regards Mason James.

On 11/19/2014 at 6:41 AM, VMepicgrl said:

Thanksgiving-themed would be good. Also more Chanukah/Hanukkah movies. There was the one combo Chanukah/Christmas with Joey Lawrence recently, but that is it. With all the Jews in Hollywood, you'd think there could be a few more. It is a holiday about a miracle - should be easy to have romance stories.

On 11/24/2014 at 9:14 PM, JenMD said:

I'm very pleased to say that I was about to have a little talk on the forums regarding to the movies and I've just found the perfect post on the perfect day. As  Top Film Production Companies recommends that don't just count the days, make the days count and Happy Christmas to everyone around the world and you as well. Have a great evening. Regards Mason James.

On 11/19/2014 at 6:41 AM, VMepicgrl said:

Thanksgiving-themed would be good. Also more Chanukah/Hanukkah movies. There was the one combo Chanukah/Christmas with Joey Lawrence recently, but that is it. With all the Jews in Hollywood, you'd think there could be a few more. It is a holiday about a miracle - should be easy to have romance stories.

On 25/12/2016 at 1:24 AM, ZootSuitWyatt said:

I got Brittany Snow a little bit.

Last year, I got a cross between Brittany Snow and Emily Osment. This year, about the same, with a touch of Meg Ryan.  And yet, I just can't help but find her slightly annoying, with that constant overenthusiastic, squeaky-voiced yapping that ends up feeling like she's trying too hard. So, not a fan of My Christmas Love... her character had a lot of the same character traits that made me dislike her in Gift-wrapped Christmas, the overall cast was very unmemorable, and the script felt somewhat predictable and repetitive (which is probably also due to fact I didn't care much for the lead and her romantic life).

Edited by Kaoteek
  • Love 2

I watched Home by Christmas on lifetime recently. It was made in 2006 but it was my first time seeing it. Linda Hamilton us a housewife who gets a divorce and is left with little money and no career prospects. I liked the movie but it had very little to do with Christmas. It kind of glamorized homelessness would be my one complaint. Ending a 20+ year marriage and being left with very little is a real poblem a lot of women face so it was nice to see a movie focusing on real issues. 

• Love 2

I think my favorite this year has been My Christmas Love.  Bobby Campo is freaking adorable!  The main girl annoyed me a bit since she only seemed interested in each guy when she thought he was the one sending her presents, but eh.  I'll overlook it...cause Bobby Campo!  

I also enjoyed the Christmas bucket list movie with Alicia Witt.  Again, the lead guy kind of made the movie for me.  His reactions to Alicia Witt's character cracked me up, at times.  Google tells me the movie is called Christmas List.  Christmas in Homestead was another fave of mine.  Please use Michael Rady again, Hallmark channel. 

What is the deal with Journey Back to Christmas?  As far as I can tell, they aired it ONE time, and they haven't shown it again since.  Hallmark lurves Candice, so this surprises me.  

Hallmark should let us vote for which couples we want to pair up in their movies.  It never fails, I like one of the leads, and the other annoys me!  Also, they need to bring in some new actors and actresses because I'm tired of seeing Candice and Lacy and Andrew Walker in every movie ever. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

What is the deal with Journey Back to Christmas?  As far as I can tell, they aired it ONE time, and they haven't shown it again since.  Hallmark lurves Candice, so this surprises me.

It's on again tonight at 6pm Central, again on Wednesday at 8am Central, and Thursday at 2pm, and then again on both Saturday and Sunday, so you still have a chance to see it again.

9 hours ago, izabella said:

It's on again tonight at 6pm Central, again on Wednesday at 8am Central, and Thursday at 2pm, and then again on both Saturday and Sunday, so you still have a chance to see it again.

Thank you! I haven't been able to record it.

Looking forward to the Rose Parade movie, because finally we get a theme that we haven't seen before! I also adore Rachel Boston. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

Do you get Hallmark Movies & Mysteries?  Journey Back to Christmas aired one night on the regular Hallmark Channel but then moved to HMM for its subsequent airings. Hallmark Movies and Mysteries isn't in as many homes as Hallmark so sometimes Hallmark will air a movie that is better suited for HMM but because of the stars or buzz they want it to be available to as many viewers as possible before being moved. 

• Love 1
On 12/27/2016 at 9:31 AM, SonofaBiscuit said:

Hallmark should let us vote for which couples we want to pair up in their movies.  It never fails, I like one of the leads, and the other annoys me!  Also, they need to bring in some new actors and actresses because I'm tired of seeing Candice and Lacy and Andrew Walker in every movie ever. 

This would be glorious. I like Lacey and Andrew but would love to see some more leads. From the upcoming movie casts, it looks like a lot more folks who haven't been in anything much lately will be joining the Hallmark roster while some of my faves (Katrina, Antonio, Paul, Hilarie, Autumn) have jumped ship to superhero shows, action movies, big budget films and other networks. I mean I don't really blame them, but I do miss how they added a little something extra to these movies.

• Love 1

I finally got around to watching A Christmas Note and was. Wet pleasantly surprised.  You think it is going to be a typical rom-com when it takes a surprising turn and becomes more about family.  I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.  Jamie Lyn-Singer (I think that is her name) was the big name, but all the actors were fine.

I spent Christmas morning watching A Diva's Christmas Carol. It never gets old.

Every year I scour the internet for an mp3 of Vanessa Williams singing "Sleigh Ride."  Why the heck has no one released that?

Now that it's Christmas and not Advent I'm making my way through my DVR'd movies.  I enjoyed Married by Christmas much more than I thought I would -- I especially loved how the protagonist and her sister (was she the ditz from 3 1/2 Men? Nice to see her play a normal character) had actual personalities and teased and mocked each other and generally acted like real family members.  It made me realize how many of the characters on Hallmark movies are bland.  The assistant, too, although relegated to the best friend/underlying role, was more interesting than usual.  She reminded me of Paula on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

On the other hand, I was annoyed to see that my DVR recorded a bunch of random preachers preaching rather than my beloved Christmas Angel.  I was really looking forward to watching it again!

1 hour ago, beadgirl said:

On the other hand, I was annoyed to see that my DVR recorded a bunch of random preachers preaching rather than my beloved Christmas Angel.  I was really looking forward to watching it again!

Is Christmas Angel the one with Connie Britton and Harry Connick, Jr.?  That's one of my favorite Christmas movies and I try to catch it every year.  I saw it this year on the UP channel.  It always makes me laugh, though it has its sad parts. 

whoops - just Googled and the movie I'm thinking of is called Angels Sing.

Edited by izabella

Why did I not watch My One Christmas Wish earlier? It was so good- I cried through half of it. It breaks my heart that there are kids out there without a family that they can share the holidays with. Wish we could save everyone. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, twoods said:

Why did I not watch My One Christmas Wish earlier? It was so good- I cried through half of it. It breaks my heart that there are kids out there without a family that they can share the holidays with. Wish we could save everyone. 

You missed that one in 2015? It was one of my favorites and remains so.  I cried during it too and unlike any of the Hallmark movies that year it touched my heart

• Love 2
On 12/19/2016 at 4:27 PM, BooBear said:

Did anyone watch a Christmas to Remember last night? With Cameron Mathison and Mira Sorveno.  First I will say good on Mira from coming down from an Oscar win to this. And then also... head smack, why is a recent Oscar winner doing a Hallmark movie with some guy that often does bits on Extra? Was she blackballed or something or, is she just really down to earth?

But I couldn't watch it.  I turned off after about 1 hour. There wasn't anything wrong with it other than the movie didn't understand that because a man and a woman are in a home together that in and of itself does not create chemistry.  There was none, zip, nada. At least in that first hour.

I wondered the same thing. But her "recent" win was over 20 years ago now, and it's been a lean number of years for a while now. She's a working actor, but hardly getting great roles. I'm unclear on if she made some not great choices soon after her Oscar win or if she wasn't offered great roles, but she never took off in my opinion.

In this Christmas to Remember movie, from what I could tell, if you don't know Mira at all, you'd be hard pressed to guess she'd ever won an Oscar and so acting alongside Cameron didn't feel nearly as out of place as it should have. And no, the chemistry didn't magically appear in the second half and you didn't miss much for bailing when you did. Like you said, it wasn't bad, it just wasn't great or compelling either. I watched it in the background while I did work. For my money, the actress I found the most appealing in this one was the supporting actress with the unrequited feelings for Cameron, Ona Grauer.

• Love 1

Mira was in Finding Mrs. Claus which was a Lifetime Christmas movie a few years back. Even though he won an oscar she hasn't been seen as a pretigeous actress in years.  She's been in quite a few tv and direct to dvd movies.

I caught A Family Thanksgiving, where this time around, Daphne Zuniga is the career-driven woman who is dumped into a reality where she's got a hot husband (Dan Payne) and two kids in time to learn a lesson about Holiday Life and Family. Pretty much the standard, although I appreciated that the kids acted like actual kids and not perfect little angels.

I STILL can't get over the bit from Comfort and Joy, with Nancy McKeon's insta-daughter smiling a wide smile as she ate green beans! The kids and husband in that were just too perfect to be believable.

Edited by methodwriter85

LIFETIME CELEBRATES THE HOLIDAYS WITH "IT'S A REALLY, REALLY COZY CHRISTMAS" PROGRAMMING SLATE

T'WAS THE MONTH BEFORE CHRISTMAS AND ALL THROUGH THE TOWN
ALL THE HOLIDAY MOVIES WERE MAKING THEIR ROUNDS
LIFETIME WAS READY WITH YULETIDE CHEER
WITH SIX ORIGINAL MOVIES TO GET YOU TO THE NEW YEAR 

IT'S A REALLY, REALLY COZY CHRISTMAS
HOLIDAY MOVIE SLATE INCLUDES STARS MARIO LOPEZ, 
MELISSA JOAN HART, DAN LAURIA, TATYANA ALI, 
MINDY STERLING, MARKIE POST, ARIELLE KEBBEL, BRIAN DENNEHY, BETHANY JOY LENZ, 
FAITH FORD, JACKEE HARRY, JASMINE GUY, KIM FIELDS, 
MARIO CANTONE, BRENDAN FEHR, JANA KRAMER AND MANY OTHERS

SIX MINI-MOVIES WILL ALSO DEBUT FOLLOWING
EACH NEW MOVIE PREMIERE

Wrapped Up In Christmas
Saturday, November 25 at 8pm ET/PT

Christmas is one of Heather’s (Tatyana Ali, Fresh Prince of Bel Air) favorite times of year but this year, as the manager of the upscale Town Center Mall, she has to be the Christmas Grinch and cancel the leases of under-performing stores. One afternoon, Heather’s niece, Molly asks the mall Santa to help find a boyfriend for her beloved aunt. Unbeknownst to Molly and Heather, “Santa” is actually Ryan (Brendan Fehr, Guardians of the Galaxy), who is working at the mall for the holidays and helping his Aunt Patty run her failing toy store. As Heather and Ryan begin to fall for each other, they have no idea of one another's true identity: Heather who is tasked with closing his aunt's store and Ryan who is too ashamed to tell Heather that he is the actually the mall Santa. Will Molly's Christmas wish come true, or will Heather be stuck as the Town Center Grinch? The film also stars Kim Fields, Jasmine Guy, Joseph Marcell, Dan Lauria, Jackee Harry and Mindy Sterling.Wrapped Up In Christmas is produced by ARO Entertainment. Jeff Schenck executive produces. Peter Sullivan serves as a director from a script by Jennifer Notas Shapiro.

Mini-Movie at 10pm ET/PT: A Family for Christmas
Becky and her family are always in a hurry and rarely has the time to speak with her sweet, elderly neighbor Grace who always trying to start conversation with her. When Becky discovers that none of Grace's grown children will be home for Christmas, Becky decides invite Grace to join her family for Christmas Eve.

A Very Merry Toy Store
Sunday, November 26 at 8pm ET/PT

Connie Forrester (Melissa Joan Hart, Sabrina, the Teenage Witch), a young single mom, and Will DiNova (Mario Lopez, Holiday in Handcuffs) each run their small, family-owned toy stores in Connecticut. Similar to their families, Connie and Will have been business rivals for year, until both of their livelihoods fall into jeopardy when the big box toy store "Roy's Toys" has its grand opening right before Christmas. In order to save their businesses, Connie and Will band together to save the stores that have defined their families for generations, and in the process, might just find love in time for Christmas. The film also stars Beth Broderick, Brian Dennehy, Billy Gardell, Mario Cantone, Dan Amboyer and Tara Strong. A Very Merry Toy Store is produced by Hartbreak Films. Paula Hart and Melissa Joan Hart executive produce. Paula serves as a director; David Breckman serves as a writer.

Mini-Movie at 10pm ET/PT: The Snowman
After wishing for the perfect man, a woman awakes to discover her new handsome neighbor is actually the snowman she built the day before, who has now come to life. But when she awakes on Christmas morning, he is gone and the snowman is back. Could it all have been a dream?

Four Christmases and a Wedding
Saturday, December 2 at 8pm ET/PT

When event planner Chloe (Arielle Kebbel, Midnight Texas, UnREAL) is hired to plan the local Christmas Festival, she is beyond thrilled to embrace the challenge. Professionally, everything is going great, but much to the dismay of her mother (Markie Post, Christmas on the Bayou), Chloe confesses she has given up on ever finding Mr. Right. That all changes the night of the opening of the festival when she meets Evan. The two begin a whirlwind romance, but as Christmas Day nears, Chloe learns that Evan is being transferred overseas for work. What follows is three more Christmases where Chloe and Evan cross paths at the annual festival, but each year something -- or someone -- stands in the way of true love. Will a touch of Santa's magic on their fourth Christmas Eve finally bring them together? The movie also stars Corey Sevier, Judge Reinhold and Robyn Lawley. Four Christmases and a Wedding is produced by Annuit Coeptis Entertainment. Timothy O. Johnson executive produces. Marita Grabiak serves as a director with a script by Barbara Kymlicka.

Mini-Movie at 10pm ET/PT: The Ugly Christmas Sweater
During her first days working at a social media company, Megan’s team is tasked with finding the best Christmas hashtag and she is determined to be the one to do so to impress her boss and the cute guy in her cubicle. However, when she is forced to wear her eccentric grandmother’s gift—an ugly Christmas sweater—her unfortunate turn of events may well be the key to winning over her new boss and her new beau.

My Christmas Prince
Sunday, December 3 at 8pm ET/PT

Samantha (Alexis Knapp, Pitch Perfect), a dedicated teacher in Manhattan, returns to her home town of Maple Falls, Wyoming every year for Christmas. This year, she's delighted when her boyfriend Alex, a European diplomat from the tiny country of Madelvia, decides to joins her. Samantha later discovers Alex is actually a prince destined for the throne, turning her entire world upside down. Realizing that staying with Alex means spending her life in the constant glare of publicity and giving up the job opportunity of a lifetime, Samantha must decide if she loves Alex enough to make the transition from teacher to royal – or will it be too big a leap for this small-town girl? My Christmas Prince is produced by ARO Entertainment. Jeff Schenck executive produces. Sam Irvin serves as a director; Topher Payne and Jennifer Notas Shapiro serve as a writers.

Mini-Movie at 10pm ET/PT- Dear Santa
When a young girl tries to write a letter to Santa, she confesses to the mailman that she can't think of what to ask for after her Grandma passed away and her mother has been really sad. Without family to spend the holiday with, the mailman decides that for the next twelve days, he will deliver surprise gifts to the mom to remind her of the Twelve Days of Christmas.

Christmas in Mississippi
Saturday, December 9 at 8pm ET/PT

Photographer Holly Logan (Jana Kramer, Country Crush) returns to her hometown of Gulfport, Mississippi for Christmas. The town is resurrecting their traditional holiday light show for the first time since a terrible hurricane struck five years earlier. Holly volunteers to pitch in, but soon has second thoughts when she discovers the festival is run by her high school sweetheart, Mike (Wes Brown, We Are Marshall). Now Holly must spend the next few days with the man who broke her heart. With the help of Caroline (Faith Ford, Hope & Faith), her match-making mother and Mr. Kriss, the kind man who will play Santa in the town's celebration, Holly begins to fall in love with her hometown, and Mike, all over again. Christmas in Mississippi also stars Barry Bostwick (Spin City, Cougar Town) and Richard Karn (Home Improvement). Christmas in Mississippi is produced by Ken Badish and Daniel Lewis of Active Entertainment. Emily Moss Wilson serves as the director. Marcy Holland serves as the writer.

Mini-Movie at 10pm ET/PT: Holiday Trap
When a couple on the brink of divorce gets stuck in an elevator together on Christmas Eve, both think this will be a nightmare. But surprisingly, the Christmas music brings back memories, the gifts they have just shopped for spark a flame, and a misunderstanding from a Christmas past is resolved. As the elevator crew works overtime to rescue them, they realize where they went wrong and rekindle a love that had never really died.

Snowed-Inn Christmas
Saturday, December 16 at 8pm ET/PT

Jenna Hudson (Bethany Joy Lenz, Colony) and Kevin Jenner (Andrew Walker, A Bride for Christmas) are polar opposites, working for the same online publication in New York City. With both having nowhere they want to be for Christmas, they volunteer for a special writing assignment. After a snowstorm forces their plane to land in none other than Santa Claus, Indiana, the two are placed in a Christmas Wonderland and the focus of their story shifts to saving the historic town inn run by Carol and Christopher Winters. As the two overcome their differences, they also rediscover the magic of Christmas. But with the inn's fate in jeopardy and the return of someone from Jenna's past, Carol and Christopher lend a helping hand to bring Jenna and Kevin together. The film also stars Tasha Smith. Snowed-Inn Christmas is produced by Juliette Hagopian and is executive produced by Howard Braunstein. Gary Yates serves as a director; Carly Smale serves as the writer.

Mini-Movie at 10pm ET/PT-Christmas Grandpa
The cashier at a small market is a grouchy man who never has a smile for anyone; but when a little girl asks for a Grandpa for Christmas and chooses him, he is completely transformed by the child's love and compassion.

Contacts:

• Love 4

Nice! Lifetime is finally getting back into it this year. The Tatyana one is promising. I'm looking forward to that and the Arielle Kebbel one. I hope they show some of their oldies but enjoyables.

I guess there's no new Chandler Family christmas movie this year, huh? Bummer.

2 hours ago, MissyPoo said:

Nice! Lifetime is finally getting back into it this year. The Tatyana one is promising. I'm looking forward to that and the Arielle Kebbel one. I hope they show some of their oldies but enjoyables.

I guess there's no new Chandler Family christmas movie this year, huh? Bummer.

Those are on UP not Lifetime but I hadn't read anything about them filming another. I wasn't really expecting another one either since they did 4 movies. 

So it has begun.  It's cold here so it didn't feel as jarring to have a Christmas movie this weekend as it has in previous years.  I actually thought the movie tonight was cute and even kind of amusing about 3/4 ths of the way through.  So much so that, with a half an hour left, it was disappointing that the movie moved away from the comedic aspect in order to go to the lame drama and misunderstandings.

I am trying to get into tonight's movie but the leads aren't doing it for me. Maybe I will try again tomorrow night.

Ok I take it back, they drew me in, especially the lead actress because her character was very likable.  It definitely got better as the movie went along, then the unnecessary drama almost ruined it. I still liked it.

Edited by twoods

I enjoyed Marry Me At Christmas. I liked the leads, things went along like adults would handle it, for the most part, and it had a pleasant storyline. The movie star brother made me laugh several times with his enthusiastic puppy-ish efforts to give his sister the best. I will say I was not pleased that my beloved, kooky Rita Haywirth (Crystal Lowe, from Signed, Sealed, Delivered) was the designated "bad guy" (Norman would NOT approve), but it all worked out in the end. I would watch it again.

BTW, on another topic for those who are part of the fan club, Love at the Thanksgiving Day Parade is on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries several times over the next 10 days or so (that's as far as our cable guide goes ahead). Here's a list of times I found (they're all eastern zone; I'm in the Detroit, Michigan area). I'm disappointed that so far, anyway, it doesn't air in the evening when I can watch it live, but hey, that's why we have DVRs and mine's already set. Autumn and Antonio - my favorite Hallmark couple! 

Monday 10/30 - 3:00 a.m.
Thursday 11/2 - 3:00 p.m.
Friday 11/3 - 5:00 a.m.
Sunday 11/5 - 1:00 a.m.
Monday 11/6 - 11:00 a.m.
Thursday 11/9 - 3:00 a.m.
Saturday 11/11 - 3:00 a.m.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 2

For once I agree with everyone. I was pleasantly surprised by this first movie. The usual drama at the end was a bit annoying, but I guess we can't expect Hallmark to give that part of their formula up. The rest of the movie was handled pretty well. I thought the leads had good chemistry and were likable. I also liked that there was real snow, you could see their breath in some scenes, and I liked that Maddie's parents' house wasn't the usual large and fancy craftsman (although Johnny bought one of them). I have an irrational dislike of that type of house because a ton of them are popping up in the neighborhoods around me, replacing older homes that were there before. Several building companies seem to be buying up a lot of these older houses or land and rebuilding large, craftsman homes. I enjoy neighborhoods with a more diverse feel, including some older homes. 

• Love 1

I saw the commercials for next week, and another ice sculpture movie? I like Taylor and the lead actor looks familiar so hopefully it's decent. I'm looking forward to Miss Christmas because I like both leads. 

18 hours ago, In2You said:

Those are on UP not Lifetime but I hadn't read anything about them filming another. I wasn't really expecting another one either since they did 4 movies. 

Yup. I've been trolling the UP site for the past few months, checking press releases, and the cast's IMDB pages. No sign of anything so I figured it was done. Weird because they left some things open as if to continue them later. I liked looking forward to them every year.

As for Marry Me At Christmas, I guess I'm the minority. It plodded along for me and I couldn't really get into it. The leads felt more like they had more of a sibling chemistry to me than romantic. I love me some Trevor Donovan but he didn't seem completely into it. I may watch it later to see if I feel the same, but I did pick up the book to read. Some folks were saying it was really good and I've been meaning to read that author for some time.

Edited by MissyPoo
On 10/29/2017 at 2:56 PM, MissyPoo said:

Yup. I've been trolling the UP site for the past few months, checking press releases, and the cast's IMDB pages. No sign of anything so I figured it was done. Weird because they left some things open as if to continue them later. I liked looking forward to them every year.

As for Marry Me At Christmas, I guess I'm the minority. It plodded along for me and I couldn't really get into it. The leads felt more like they had more of a sibling chemistry to me than romantic. I love me some Trevor Donovan but he didn't seem completely into it. I may watch it later to see if I feel the same, but I did pick up the book to read. Some folks were saying it was really good and I've been meaning to read that author for some time.

I love Susan Mallery. But wasn’t found of the movie.  But I have never liked any of the book adaptations by hallmark. A little slow and Johnny is supposed to have dark hair. Plus the extra characters in the movie also had their own books so they were not right.  

• Love 2

I wonder Hallmark has a tendency to adapt books and keep the names and theme but rewrite it to their Hallmarkized formula. The same thing happened with the MistleToe books, the Vineyard books, and the Midford (sp?) movie which really teed people off. I guess on the plus side it introduces people to new authors they may have never heard of before.

• Love 1