Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

(edited)

Andre is a serial killer, he should never be humorous.  He killed Marlena's beloved cousin Trista who was also Kayla's good friend.  Not to mention that he killed Renee and buried Benjy alive.  He was responsible for the poisoning of Lexie that led to her cancer. He has too much blood on his hands.   If the show wanted to give Chad a brother, they should have brought back Tony or Peter. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, swtrgrl said:

I almost hate myself but... I like Kate and Andre. they are hilarious.

1 hour ago, Apprentice79 said:

Andre is a serial killer, he should never be humorous.  He killed Marlena's beloved cousin Trista who was also Kayla's good friend.  Not to mention that he killed Renee and buried Benjy alive.  He was responsible for the poisoning of Lexie that led to her cancer. He has too much blood on his hands.   If the show wanted to give Chad a brother, they should have brought back Tony or Peter. 

I completely agree with both of you.  It seems to me TPTB are sort of "asking" us to "look away" or "pay no attention to the history of this monster" sort of thing.  It is like this version of Andre is supposed to be somewhere in the middle of Tony and the previous characterization of Andre.  For the life of me, I don't know why they didn't just find a way to bring Tony back and make him a little more of a "darker" character if that is what they wanted.  It seems pretty evident we aren't supposed to really remember or comment on the insanely horrible things Andre has done.  Nor should anyone in Salem want anything to do with him.

With all that said I actually don't mind this particular incarnation of Andre who in essence is more of a "darker Tony".  The character has definitely been softened somewhat and I do find his relationships with Kate, Chad, and Abigail really interesting. Personally they can just switch to calling the character Tony and I wouldn't mind.

• Love 7
(edited)
On 2017-07-08 at 3:20 AM, Rowan said:

The stylist for Sonny's character is doing the man no favors. 

Nor the writers, either, for that matter. I really, really don't like Angry, Greasy-Haired Doucheball Goodfella-Wannabe Sonny. There's no reason in the world for him to be flaring his nostrils at Brady. He's completely in the wrong -- firing a bunch of employees en masse because  he didn't get along with the guy who hired them is stupidly irresponsible. Brady is right. Let me say that again: Brady is completely right! Sonny's vendetta may have exposed the company to a hugely costly wrongful dismissal action. Don't make me take Bonehead Black's side over yours, Sonny! We used to be better than that.

If this is the writers' attempt to send Sonny over to "the dark side," (oh, whatever; I feel gross even dignifying the conceit by typing it out) it isn't working. Somebody make them quit it.

Wasn't André essentially a homicidal maniac who killed his own brother?

Edited by Sandman
Even for a Dimera, André's a murderous, psychotic creepazoid.
  • Love 2
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Wasn't André essentially a homicidal maniac who killed his own brother?

Yes, he buried his deaf brother Benjy alive.  That is a gruesome way to die.. I always felt that Andre should have been the one to kill  Stefano off for good. Since Stefano was the one that brought him to town to take over Tony's life and kill people to frame Roman for them.  That would have been a full circle moment..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Sandman said:

But ... André also killed Tony, right?

No, he did not kill him.. Tony fell and broke his neck and died...A lame death for a wonderfully complex character.  Tony should have left town with Anna.  EJ should have been their son.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 minute ago, Apprentice79 said:

No, [André] did not kill him.. Tony fell and broke his neck and died...

Huh. I was confused, I guess. Thanks.

Edited by Sandman

I don't remember all of this stuff about Andre.  It must have been before my time?  Maybe in the 80s?

I feel guilty too, then, thinking he's funny now.  But the way Kate speaks down to him is pretty good comedy.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Sandman said:

But ... André also killed Tony, right?

No Andre didn't kill Tony at least not this last time.  He may have tried to kill Tony in the past, and he did help keep Tony stranded on that island for 20 years.  He also is the one who kidnapped and held Lexie hostage which is what lead to her cancer and death.  He also killed Renee.  So he is essentially responsible for three of his siblings death.

This is why I believe we are supposed to just "forget" his past, otherwise there is no way even people like Kate, Chad, or even Abby would ever deal with him.

• Love 3
(edited)
6 minutes ago, JBC344 said:

No Andre didn't kill Tony at least not this last time.  He may have tried to kill Tony in the past, and he did help keep Tony stranded on that island for 20 years.  He also is the one who kidnapped and held Lexie hostage which is what lead to her cancer and death.  He also killed Renee.  So he is essentially responsible for three of his siblings death.

This is why I believe we are supposed to just "forget" his past, otherwise there is no way even people like Kate, Chad, or even Abby would ever deal with him.

He also killed 4 other women and framed Roman for it...He used to leave a calling card with his victims.. He also killed Megan's father and tried to kill Hope.  She almost became one of his victims in his original run.  Andre dying the 80's should have been permanent.. This show is too obsessed with the Dimera family..  They forgot that Stefano has 6 other brothers out there who may have had children and grandchildren. They could easily create a new character as a Dimera that is not Stefano's child.  It could have been a Dimera wanting to prove to the town that not all Dimeras are bad.   Benjy should never have been killed off. The actor that played him as a child in the storyline with Steve and Kayla came back as an adult and reprised it when Steve came back from the dead.. It would have been so cool to see a character with a disability having a prominent role on the show.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I don't remember all of this stuff about Andre.  It must have been before my time?  Maybe in the 80s?

I feel guilty too, then, thinking he's funny now.  But the way Kate speaks down to him is pretty good comedy.

Yeah, a lot of Andre's rain of terror was in the 80's and early 90's.  The last time he was a character was a few years ago during the Brady/Dimera war (Colleen/Santo saga).  This was when he killed Benjy, and I believe Stefano wanted him dead for it.  That was also when Andre was Stefano's nephew.

To be fair TPTB have also played a little fast and loose with "Tony or Andre" through the years, a lot of it not making much sense in terms of continuity.  For example, whenever they want to sort of wipe the slate clean in regards to Tony, they would reveal it was Andre who was doing all the "bad" things and it gave them a redo in regards to the character of Tony.

It is probably more realistic to just think of this "Andre" as a separate character with a lot less baggage than "serial killer Andre, who terrorized Salem give many people including three of his siblings".  He is far more enjoyable to watch that way.

• Love 2
(edited)
4 minutes ago, JBC344 said:

Yeah, a lot of Andre's rain of terror was in the 80's and early 90's.  The last time he was a character was a few years ago during the Brady/Dimera war (Colleen/Santo saga).  This was when he killed Benjy, and I believe Stefano wanted him dead for it.  That was also when Andre was Stefano's nephew.

To be fair TPTB have also played a little fast and loose with "Tony or Andre" through the years, a lot of it not making much sense in terms of continuity.  For example, whenever they want to sort of wipe the slate clean in regards to Tony, they would reveal it was Andre who was doing all the "bad" things and it gave them a redo in regards to the character of Tony.

True, but, Tony was a grey character as well. He did rape Liz. So, Tony was never an angel,. but, he was never evil like Andre.  This show stopped doing complexity after Sherry Anderson left, in the early 90's..  If you were a good character, you were self-righteous hypocrite and a Dudley do right, like Carrie. If you were a villain, you were a cartoon like Kristen...Sherry was great at creating complex heroes, heroines, villains and anti-heroes.   Savannah was a villainess, but, she was  complex.  You understood her motives, even if you did not agree with her.  Kim was a heroine, but, she was flawed and made mistakes.. Her actions were not whitewashed and she paid for them..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

True, but, Tony was a grey character as well. He did rape Liz. So, Tony was never an angel,. but, he was never evil like Andre.  This show stopped doing complexity after Sherry Anderson left, in the early 90's..  If you were a good character, you were self-righteous hypocrite and a Dudley do right, like Carrie. If you were a villain, you were a cartoon like Kristen...Sherry was great at creating complex heroes, heroines, villains and anti-heroes.   Savannah was a villainess, but, she was  complex.  Kim was a heroine, but, she was flawed and made mistakes..

Oh, I completely agree Tony was never an angel.  I think it was easier for TPTB to go evil with Tony throughout the years because they always had the "get out of jail free card" of, we can always blame it on Andre. Even when blaming it on Andre couldn't possibly make any sense it was still used. 

• Love 3
Just now, JBC344 said:

Oh, I completely agree Tony was never an angel.  I think it was easier for TPTB to go evil with Tony throughout the years because they always had the "get out of jail free card" of, we can always blame it on Andre. Even when blaming it on Andre couldn't possibly make any sense it was still used. 

Exactly....By doing that, the show did a disservice to the character of Tony...When a character makes a mistake, they should delved into it and face it head on.  That is why Jack Devereaux resonated with the viewers and became such a popular character.  He raped the ultimate good girl Kayla and managed to survive that vile act.. Jack's redemption storyline was the most complex and nuanced story that I have ever witness on a soap..

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, JBC344 said:

It is probably more realistic to just think of this "Andre" as a separate character with a lot less baggage than "serial killer Andre, who terrorized Salem give many people including three of his siblings".  He is far more enjoyable to watch that way.

I agree it would save a certain amount of wear and tear on my psyche as a viewer to look at it this way, but I'm reluctant to give the writers a pass on how expedient and basically lazy the plotting and characterization have become. The get-out-jail-free card should not be given to the writers to flash whenever they forget history or toy with the audience's patience. (But then again, the Dimeras may have perfected a serum for reviving their loved ones after death, so maybe I'm complaining about the wrong narrative sins.)

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 2

I don't like Tony/Andre as characters and I can't stand the actor portraying them. I know he has his fans but to me he is tedious to watch. RC can get rid of him IMO.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, rcc said:

I don't like Tony/Andre as characters and I can't stand the actor portraying them. I know he has his fans but to me he is tedious to watch. RC can get rid of him IMO.

While I have found him amusing just for the past couple weeks, I do agree that he can go at any time.  He's not really serving any purpose, is he?  I'm sure the writers can come up with a better story for Kate.

• Love 1

Why is Kayla dressed like a waitress at a diner?

Since we know that Dario is lying about his immigration status, who is the guy pretending to be an ICE agent?

"I wouldn't lie about committing murder just to get a family member off the hook."  Was that a dig at Will and Lucas?

"Sweetness, do I tell you how to remove a spleen?"

God, why do they have to make Raines an asshole in every single scene?

So the party was still "last night".

Woah.  Keeping up with your homework?  Who was Anjelica talking to?

Seems like Dario stole the amulet and sold it, huh?  How else to explain the sudden windfall?

Steve and Kayla are so cute.

• Love 1

She was.  Back then Marlena's face still moved, and DH actually put effort into her acting.

I agree.  If the writers were going to bring back another dead Dimera, it should have been Tony and not Andre.

One thing I did appreciate about original recipe Andre was it was acknowledged he was a deadly psychopath and murderer.  When Andre died again in 2007, he should have stayed dead.

I always enjoyed Tony reminding Stefano of all the evil that not only Stefano did, but also everything Andre did.  One of the best scenes in 2007, was Tony telling Stefano that Renee would still be alive if Stefano had not brought Andre to Salem.

• Love 6

I thought Kayla was wearing some sort of short-sleeved pajama top. No, you don't go visit someone's hotel room without occupying that person first.

The waiter seems convenient enough for now - Sonny was speaking over Deimos' dead body. Anyone could have said the exact same thing. Just the next suspect til the next one comes forward.

Geez, Hope, you need to flash your hand and show folks the ring?

Angelica has another child? Grandchild?

Abs, yes, do wonder how Dario suddenly can afford to take you to New York and the Hamptons.

• Love 1

Guys, I am going to be so irritated/ragey/turned-off if they marry up Rafe and Hope. So far, I've been largely able to mentally cut around their BS relationship because it was usually kept off to the side (sorta). But a Hope wedding drives plot and I'm telling you I can't deal with another so soon after the dumpster fire that was the 50th. No, I am still not over how Bo and Aiden were f-ed over for Rafe then, and will be again now. Rafe will always be the dolt the show propped up at the expense of other, more compelling characters.

Please Ron - break them up fast and permanently and let Hope slowly regenerate as a character.

I just don't want their wedding or relationship to mar what I hope will be an upswinging few months for the show.

If all Rope scenes could be kept out of the other stories, I might be able to deal.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I am still not over how Bo and Aiden were f-ed over for Rafe

How do you suggest that Bo was f'd over? Remember, it was Peter's idea to leave and not continue to play Bo, so Bo is gone either way.

As for Aiden, he was weird from day one.  Then the couple seemed genuine until he became weird again. That's the writer's fault, and not necessarily Rafe's fault.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, MsTree said:

How do you suggest that Bo was f'd over? Remember, it was Peter's idea to leave and not continue to play Bo, so Bo is gone either way.

As for Aiden, he was weird from day one.  Then the couple seemed genuine until he became weird again. That's the writer's fault, and not necessarily Rafe's fault.

Exactly what I was going to say. :) 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, MsTree said:

I thought Aiden and Kayla had a real spark and it is too bad that the show never pursued it.   Both were attractive professionals with young sons...It could have been real good to see Steve come back and see that both Kayla and Joey moved on without him. Instead, we got that vile Ava Vitali back on our screens.

• Love 7

That could have been interesting...

I meant that Dena's story for Bo made little sense and then featured him passing off his wife to Rafe - a super douchey move.

It felt to me that whatever was happening with Bo was still just set-up for Rafe and that made it gross. Dena could have had Rafe in the background in concerned friend mode during the whole wedding and aftermath, but instead she basically made Rafe's crush a big plot point. It was like Bo turned to the audience and said "okay, so now you have to like Him, okay?"

The destruction of Bo and Aiden should have had nothing to do with Rafe. Instead it felt like it was all done for him. And weren't he and Hope originally supposed to be smooching by Feb? And then they cut those scenes and wisely held off...not that the writing because any more subtle.

...I also found Melanie overly wedged down our throats during the Italy Castle storyline. It made sense for her to be sort of involved since she was dating Brady, but they had been together all of three months when suddenly she was piecing together Theresa's stolen embryo story and stealing away on the plane and getting locked up, etc, etc. They forced her POV into the story so much you'd think it was her story. But it wasn't. It was Theresa/Brady/Kristen/Dr Creepo/Thuggy Cliff's. They could have kept Melanie in Salem. But nope. 40% of the focus was on whether she'd lose Brady...as if anyone cared.

I'm amazed we were spared her afterwards - why did the actress leave? She was clearly playing a pet character.

Rafe, Daniel, Melanie.... they're such pet characters.

• Love 3

I don't know if Aiden was screwed over for Rafe, but I do disagree that Bo was.  It was PR's choice to leave, and I think the writers then said "oh crap."  My guess is that the writers thought Bo giving Rafe his blessing would be a way to smooth over Bo's death and the impending Hope/Rafe relationship with the fans.  That seems to have backfired, but that's my guess on their intention.  Aiden... well, I can't explain Aiden.  That was just a big ol' mess from the start, in my opinion.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

She wanted to go on recurring status and Show wanted all or nothing, so she got nothing.

Ouch. Like Theresa then basically.

Thing is, she's a likeable actress. I wouldn't mind her in small doses, and not around Brady and Maggie. 

• Love 1
(edited)

L: You won't believe what my mom's done!

A: Framed someone for murder? Poisoned a daughter-in-law?

L: No, she got married!

Okay, that made me laugh. Especially the way Adrienne casually lobs guesses (from experience) about what kind of awful thing Kate must have done now, with no more emotion that if she were guessing what kind of pie Lucas brought her from the Salem Bakeshop. Evans has solid comic timing. Lucas and Adrienne might make a good showing as the "funny couple" on the show.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 5

Wait, what?  What three people almost died under Kayla's watch?

Right.  JJ the cop's girlfriend the cop finds a clue at the crime season after the forensics people have left, and we're (as in the general public, not viewers of the show) are supposed to believe that the evidence she finds is kosher?

It was good to see Sonny's breakdown.  He's been far too sullen lately.

"Is that a clinical diagnosis"?  LOL

Sonny and Paul still never kiss each other.

Hotels still take cash when people pay their bills?

I loved the girls' night. It's too bad Adrienne wasn't there. Though I'm not sure I'd want any of those drunk ladies to help me in a medical emergency.

• Love 3

Sparkle: Sonny, you made me a better man.

Confessing!Goodfella-Wannabe Sonny: You made me a better man.

Sandman: What? When was this?

Aaaand, Adrienne's back to being a clingy, weepy mess. So much for Salem Screwball Comedies starring Lucas and Adrienne.

• Love 1

The ladies night out was funny.   Didn't realize sammi was married the most.   when I started watching again the past 2 years I have seen two Hope weddings, two Abigail weddingsand Brady had four different soulmates.    

• Love 3

I've only found two soulmates in my life so far!

I enjoyed the ladies' night out too. Nice to see some women get together to have a few drinks and laughs. Too bad Anne wasn't invited. And maybe Adrienne.

No idea when/how Sparkle and Sonny made each other better men. The gleam of the pearly whites?

Salem PD Forensics sure misses key evidence. *rolls eyes* Hope and Rafe can stay in the dumpster.

I think some hotels do take cash/travellers' cheques. However, you normally do have to leave a credit card number in case there are any damages/theft from the rooms. I sure don't carry much cash on me these days. Use my debit card mostly. Just carry a few dollars in the wallet.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

I enjoyed the ladies' night out too. Nice to see some women get together to have a few drinks and laughs. Too bad Anne wasn't invited. And maybe Adrienne.

I think Adrienne had other things on her mind with her son being arrested for murder.

• Love 1
On 7/10/2017 at 9:47 AM, Apprentice79 said:

See, this is a SOAP and I like characters for various and sundry reasons. Andre is a serial killer, liar, cheat and the worst kind of human. For those reasons he's despicable and really unlikeable and I can't root for him. However, that doesn't mean his bickering with Kate isn't funny. 

On 7/11/2017 at 3:30 AM, MsTree said:

I only really watched the WilSon clips at that time but... I saw a scene before the WilSon wedding with Kayla and Aiden and it was a chem test. I thought it was great. they were cutesy, etc... Surprised they went the Haiden route after that but again, I didn't watch Haiden get together or any of those storylines.

• Love 2

Haiden was really quite good until about a month before the 50th when suddenly whoops - he's in cahoots with Stefano!

I just imagine all the neat stuff that could have been if Haiden wasn't trashed. Maybe he and Belle could have had their own law firm together. Maybe Chase could have started gradually remembering his repressed memories about killing his mother and sister Ciara could have tried to help him deal with that. Maybe them and Theo could have all grown up close friends and Chase could have been the one to help nudge Theo and Ciara together. Maybe Aiden and Bo could have had some mutual respect...

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Haiden was really quite good until about a month before the 50th when suddenly whoops - he's in cahoots with Stefano!

I just imagine all the neat stuff that could have been if Haiden wasn't trashed. Maybe he and Belle could have had their own law firm together. Maybe Chase could have started gradually remembering his repressed memories about killing his mother and sister Ciara could have tried to help him deal with that. Maybe them and Theo could have all grown up close friends and Chase could have been the one to help nudge Theo and Ciara together. Maybe Aiden and Bo could have had some mutual respect...

Amen, they had a really interesting storyline for Hope (which really hasn't happened since the Princess Gina storyline) about moving on after she ends her marriage to the love of her life.  Personally I loved the way they approached the Haiden storyline.  It was two mature adults with young children learning how to navigate a serious relationship.  It was also nice to see someone who wanted/liked/loved Hope without the benefit/curse of her history. 

When I originally heard that Peter was coming back to wrap up a final storyline for Bo before leaving.  I actually thought he would come back, amicably get closure with Hope and then move away.  What they decided to do was the biggest clusterfuck I'd ever seen.  Or even if they were going to kill Bo, I would of much rather seen Hope grapple with the love of her life dying while also being newly married to Aiden and navigating those feelings of possible guilt toward Bo and fairness toward Aiden.

• Love 5

So i just watched the episode where Sonny was booked, and I was confused. Please correct me if i am wrong, but Sonny comes from his name being Jackson, right? I know it was a long time ago, but i don't remember them naming him Jackson Sonny Kiriakis.

Loved the ladies night out, especially the scenes with Kate and Marlena.  I love when the writers remember that they have been friends since they were really young.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, nextian said:

So i just watched the episode where Sonny was booked, and I was confused. Please correct me if i am wrong, but Sonny comes from his name being Jackson, right? I know it was a long time ago, but i don't remember them naming him Jackson Sonny Kiriakis.

According to Wikipedia, his name is Jackson Steven Kiriakis.  So they might have meant it like Jackson "Sonny" Kiriakis, instead of saying "Jackson Kiriakis, aka Sonny Kiriakis."  

• Love 3

Oh, big deal, Chuck lifted the girlie mag. No need to get all pissy on him.

Ugh, Claire, be good in your job, don't sulk. And Dragon Lady, you didn't check Claire's references?

Jeez, Abigail, get out of your funk.

OK, so Chad and Gabi have officially Done It now.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Oh, big deal, Chuck lifted the girlie mag. No need to get all pissy on him.

Ugh, Claire, be good in your job, don't sulk. And Dragon Lady, you didn't check Claire's references?

Jeez, Abigail, get out of your funk.

OK, so Chad and Gabi have officially Done It now.

Don't recall seeing Chuck before. Ah, the mention of Xander.

Claire, it really isn't that easy being a server. Working at the Brady Pub was not real life experience. Chances are you did very little there. A hostess type job is probably what you are suited for.

I did enjoy Chad and Theo playing chess and having a brother to brother type chat.

Can Gabi now change out of that not so great blue lacey number?

Abigail, you married Dario, and probably over all the red flags and Danger Will Robinson vibes he gave off.  You have made your bed until you catch on to the truth and then probably annul the marriage. Or do whatever you do to men. You do kinda deserve what you will be getting.

• Love 1

Dario keeps pushing and pushing this honeymoon trip.   And Abigail keeps going on about "where is the money coming from?"  Why doesn't she just say, "Dario, get off my case, I don't want honeymoon because this is a fake marriage." 

• Love 5