Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: Virgin Blood

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

Oh really Cleen, virgin skin is extremely picky, say it ain't so. Who isn't going to be picky for their first tattoo. I can't root for him because he's such a douche and thinks he's better than everyone.

Booberella is one to talk about weak tattoos and putting someone in the dirt. She's been in the dirt since the beginning. She's not humble at all just a nasty human being. Her tattoo with Aaron was horrible, didn't like it, didn't interlock well at all, just looked confusing. 

Jason and Cris' was unreadable for me and Jason being in the bottom might be a wake up call for him this time. Shocked that Cris did better than him. 

It could have been a toss up on who went home on Aaron and Julia but on average they all did pretty bad with the exception of Erik and Cleen. This batch of inktestants are bad, but still Team Josh. 

• Love 1

Josh plays dirty and puts his opponent on the chopping block

*Roll my eyes*

With that description, I was expecting something drastic or dramatic.  Like maybe he broke her tattoo machine or pushed her down the stairs.  LOL  Since when is merely outperforming someone "playing dirty".  Enough with the stupid drama.

• Love 2

Jason seemed really stressed out. Did he happen to mention it? It was like he was on a continual loop. Jeesh it was annoying.

I felt kind of dumb because I couldn't figure out how the tattoos some of the canvases were describing could possibly work. It sounded to me like there would just be random images "floating" around on their arms.

The judges seemed really enthusiastic about the flash challenge tattoos. I didn't see it. Aaron's rose looked like something our dog could do with his tail and a splash of paint. I stared and stared at Emily's skull and it looked like it was missing the lower jaw.

Didn't the judges give an artist crap one season because he used his own time of birth on his canvas? So why was it ok for Cleen to use his teeth as an example for his canvas?

• Love 2

I didn't think Josh necessarily set up Julia to go home. I honestly do NOT believe that was his intention; oh yeah, he PLANNED to beat her, but didn't really care if she left or stayed. Let's be honest; she was never going to win so I am fine with her leaving. Besides, according to last week's fest of whine, she probably left her kids in the car, so she really needed to get back to them.

I thought the same thing about Cleen's teeth on the skull, but I guess because it is not as personal as the time of birth? I know Cleen is good, but he calls Josh arrogant? Seriously?? He is so sure of himself and sure of his eventual win, I won't even care if HE leaves early too.

Because it cannot be said enough: STFU Emily.

Josh FTW.

• Love 3

Josh didn't set Julia up, he shouldn't have to tell her how to tattoo her portion of the tattoo. Julia is responsible for asking Josh what he's doing so she can match it up to his and vice versa. 

I agree Cleen is a hypocrite, I call anyone a hypocrite at this point whenever they just single out Josh for being arrogant. They're all arrogant for the most part.

The flash challenge wasn't all that great, didn't care who won really.

• Love 1

So the week after we have canvas drama with a "make the client happy" memo we have a flash challenge where the only criteria for winning seemed to be making the client happy.  Nice how that all worked out to tell a story. 

I've been watching reruns of this on Netflix (to see if this really is as bad in comparison as it feels), and it was fun to watch this challenge again.  Was much more interesting in season 2, when Tatu Baby and Jesse teamed up and chose this interlocking style.  These were all...OK.  

In one of his talking heads Aaron was saying something about an ex-wife he ended up marrying who left him a year later- some weird rambling bullshit.  Was he referring to Emily as his ex?  Is that why they're rivals?  I can't remember the origins of their feud.

I don't think Josh set up Julia- she was toast anyway- but I have to say I'm a little annoyed they didn't call him out for failing to be adaptable during the adaptability challenge.  The client was adaptable.  He was the exact opposite.  Normally I don't care, tonight I think it should have been a problem.  Maybe it'll pop up randomly later this season as an issue.  He's been floating so far, that can't last the whole way through.

I wonder why the judges were so pleased with the work in the Flash Challenge. Although that blue rose that Aaron did was the only horrible tattoo, nothing was superb. The most cringe worthy part of the show was how everyone was ganging up on Joshua for having a persuasive enough demeanor to talk his clients into moving their tattoo. Kyle from season 3 was the only person to ever give Josh credit where it's due for being able to negotiate with his clients. Emily only joined in picking on Josh to defelect attention from herself since Josh actually plays the game with guile, unlike her.

With respect to the Elimination Tattoo, I agree with the judges decision on the bottom tattoos, but I think Jason should've been sent packing. Even though Julia's tattoo is something they should put on Tattoo Nightmares California (TN: Miami sucks), at least you could tell what her tattoo was. Jason's tattoo was just messy and unreadable.

I honestly suspect that the Chris and Oliver were out to get Julia due to a combination of last week's events, especially her standing up to Oliver. Both Chris and Oliver seem to get a thrill from the power they have as judges and don't take kindly to contestants standing up to them. It didn't help that Julia once again reverted to her baby voice and bandied her children to gain sympathy while trying to throw Aaron under the bus. I'm glad to see Julia leave because I did get tired of her sympathy bids, but Jason should've went home from a technical perspective.

Edited by MuMuGuy
  • Love 2

I thought the challenge was kind of silly -- I mean, how often you gonna run around putting your arms together like that? I did think the DotD ones were gorgeous, and better yet because they worked on their own.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

I think Josh should've helped Julia after watching her do wrong. I am tired of seeing these artist act this way. Emily gave Angel a drawing that she knew was horrible. I don't care about messing up the artist's work and trying to play tricks and games, but these people were not thinking about the canvases, THEIR OWN CANVASES!!! They have to live with these tatts for the rest of their lives and might not be able to get them removed or covered. I am soo over this! If one more canvas is perposely(SP?) effed up, I will definately stop watching this season. Three strikes and you're out. I've never been mad at a show, before this season of this one.

Also, Dave said, on twitter, that they were only nice in the flash challenge because the canvases were right there.

Edited by SGTCpride123

The judges seemed really enthusiastic about the flash challenge tattoos. I didn't see it. Aaron's rose looked like something our dog could do with his tail and a splash of paint. I stared and stared at Emily's skull and it looked like it was missing the lower jaw.

I think the judges were being diplomatic since they were doing the critiques right in front of the canvases.  That's the only reason I can think of to explain some of those comments.

The show is a lot more palatable once I started ff'ing through all the sit around and bitch segments.  Just show me the challenges and judging.  I really don't need all the drama.

I thought the challenge was kind of silly -- I mean, how often you gonna run around putting your arms together like that? I did think the DotD ones were gorgeous, and better yet because they worked on their own.

Yeah the best of these types of tattoos are the ones that are gonna look great together AND separate.  Having said that Erik & Cleen's tattoos were BEAUTIFUL!  The green skull tats with the details in both were stunning and with the smoke from the male's pipe spilling over onto the female tat was a perfect way to tie the two together (along with their period piece accessories).  I think we are looking at the final two with them.

• Love 2

I know -- I kind of want it for myself...but that real estate has already been developed on my arms...

Emily is such a weirdo. She's so abrasive and combative to people and then, at other times, she talks to them completely normally like a regular acquaintance would. That said, I really didn't mind her peacock, though I thought the feathers could have been bolder in color and more defined (with more blue! I love the "new" darker blue ink so much; I've recently had all my old tattoos with the lighter turquoise color updated with the darker blue).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

Besides, according to last week's fest of whine, she probably left her kids in the car, so she really needed to get back to them.

I know it's probably wrong to laugh at this, but it had me rolling!  *LOL*

Josh is without a doubt manipulative and conniving, but he does it so much more indirectly and with stealth.  Emily's just a bulldozer with her emotions, opinions and crazy.  Josh chooses his times & places carefully.  I admire that.  

• Love 4
Josh is without a doubt manipulative and conniving, but he does it so much more indirectly and with stealth.  Emily's just a bulldozer with her emotions, opinions and crazy.  Josh chooses his times & places carefully.  I admire that.

He's diplomatic and professional, despite what may be going on in his head, and even when he says judgy things, he doesn't do it in an attacking manner. Some call it fake but I find it to be respectable and respectful toward clients, and even the other contestants. He even made sure to say a positive thing about working with Julia, even though he thinks she stinks. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4

Enough of these tag team tattoos! It's hard enough to do a regular tattoo in a competition like this without having to turn things over to someone else all the time. Let everyone rise and fall on their own abilities.

Cleen pissed me off with his bitching about virgin canvases. Everyone was a virgin at some point and some got the tattoo bug later in life. He needs to remember that the picky virgin that he makes happy can end up being the life-long customer.

More and more I want Josh to win this thing.

• Love 1
Didn't the judges give an artist crap one season because he used his own time of birth on his canvas? So why was it ok for Cleen to use his teeth as an example for his canvas?

If I remember correctly the artist that did his time of birth on the tat was because it wasn't what the customer wanted and I think it affected the entire composition of the piece.....meaning it took away from the original design of what the customer wanted.

The thing with Cleen putting his two front teeth in the design--well I would guess the customer was ok with it and it was such a small, minor detail it didn't affect the original design all that much and honestly if it hadn't been pointed out I wouldn't have noticed it.  IMO Cleen is an excellent tattoo artist (his personality aside) and if I was getting a tat from someone that talented and I didn't mind the extra detail I would be ok with him adding his own personal signature to it. 

Besides, according to last week's fest of whine, she probably left her kids in the car, so she really needed to get back to them.

this is the funniest thing I have heard all day!

DOTD skull tattoos really were wonderful, even though I don't care for skulls. The peacock--horrible. Jason's tattoo--I am learning the lingo from this show because I instantly said "unreadable." How come Jason is fine one week and super stressed out the next?

Josh really is smarter than most of these people, sometimes you must finesse the situation, instead of barreling through and being an ass like Emily.

And man, Don is fine!

• Love 5

I don't think Josh set up Julia- she was toast anyway- but I have to say I'm a little annoyed they didn't call him out for failing to be adaptable during the adaptability challenge.

Is there a rule that both halves of a rivalry can't be on the chopping block at the same time? I haven't seen a contestant skate so much since The Apprentice, but if the judges can't go after Josh while Jason is still there as a target, it makes sense.

• Love 1
Jason's tattoo--I am learning the lingo from this show because I instantly said "unreadable." How come Jason is fine one week and super stressed out the next?

Josh really is smarter than most of these people, sometimes you must finesse the situation, instead of barreling through and being an ass like Emily.

I don't know what's going on with Jason but it's a shame because I really liked him last season & this season.  He seems to do really good tattoos when he is in his element but on this show, something just stresses him out completely and he can't seem to recover from it.  It's some sort of anxiety issue going on. 

And man, Don is fine!

Really?  Huh.  Enh, while I consider guys with tattoos attractive I never really looked at him and though he was cute....I kinda lean towards Erik or maybe Chris.  I kinda like the clean cut look with the offset of tattoos.

I haven't seen a contestant skate so much since The Apprentice, but if the judges can't go after Josh while Jason is still there as a target, it makes sense.

I agree that there are ALOT of artists there that should have already been eliminated; I think the judges base their decision on the artists past work and how many times they've been in the bottom.  With Julia it was just painfully obvious she had to go.  Her tattoos are at best mediocre and her calling out the others in the bottom was just stupid!  Yeah Jason and Aaron's tats weren't the best but honey just shut up and go.

Julia's stroke victim was bad and she needed to go but she wasn't wrong. Jason's was an unreadable mess and Aaron's was a bad nonsensical cartoon. Cleen calling out Josh for being arrogant was a case of pot meeting kettle. lol  Although Cleen and Eric had really good tats and Josh's was too dark and had wonky eyes which are the only things light enough to see. Mark and Don weren't awful but that's the nicest thing I can say about them. Don't remember anyone else,

Why do they have to be nice in front of the canvases, it may be hard to hear but the canvas jury have to hear insults about their work from people they don't even know. So I don't think the judges critiquing in front of them during the flash challenge is going to make the canvas fall to the ground and start crying. 

One of the reasons I'm rooting for Josh is because people are always ganging up on him and he does good work for the most part. Also there's really no reason for them to really be ganging up on him other than they see him as a threat. I can understand ganging up on someone like Booberella who talks shit and can't back it up in her artwork and purposely sabotages someone like she did Angel (judges still need to call her out on that) Just like last season with Scott, everyone ganged up on him, because he's a good artist and knows how to play the game, plus Scott wasn't purposely mean or vindictive. Josh knows how to play the game and get in people's head without sounding like a douche IMO and from what I'm seeing of him. 

I really hate the description of what they said about this show saying Josh sabotages or whatever when clearly he didn't. Either they are purposely misleading viewers in hopes they tune in to watch or they're heavily leaving things out on the cutting room floor that we don't see and it's not like they show it during the finale/reunion. So need to cut that out. If Julia was wrong in the argument with her canvas then we need to see it and if Josh is purposely sabotaging, then we need to see it.

Edited by ShadowSixx
  • Love 2

Josh absolutely owns his arrogance.  And while he is good, others are better.  But Josh plays THE GAME better than the others.  Huge difference.  

I would be very wary of getting ink from Jason after seeing that display and his complaining.  With that kind of anxiety, I'm wondering if he's on medication and how it affects his work.  

On the bright side, Emily's cancerous lady parts seem to be all better!  Isn't that amazing?  

If I remember correctly the artist that did his time of birth on the tat was because it wasn't what the customer wanted and I think it affected the entire composition of the piece.....meaning it took away from the original design of what the customer wanted.

The thing with Cleen putting his two front teeth in the design--well I would guess the customer was ok with it and it was such a small, minor detail it didn't affect the original design all that much and honestly if it hadn't been pointed out I wouldn't have noticed it.  IMO Cleen is an excellent tattoo artist (his personality aside) and if I was getting a tat from someone that talented and I didn't mind the extra detail I would be ok with him adding his own personal signature to it. 

I think with the birthdate the client actually said they didn't care, the judges just called it out as being arrogant.  I took their reaction to Cleen as more of their usual flopping around on certain issues.  But, if I remember correctly, Cleen sold it better by calling it a signature, the other guy just sort of did it.

About the flash challenge- I didn't think the judges were nice just because canvasses were there.  I thought they were emphasizing how important the client's opinion is after what went down last week with Julia.  If they were concerned about hurting people's feelings, they should have sent the canvasses away and been their usual selves.  They've done that in the past, right?

I think they wanted to make a statement.

• Love 2
and purposely sabotages someone like she did Angel (judges still need to call her out on that)

Maybe they did and we didn't see because it didn't amount to anything (not that I would mind seeing it, even if it had been boring; reality-show creators often seem believe the things I'd find interesting are bad TV or something)? Angel sized it correctly despite Emily's lame "trick," didn't he? I would think even the dumbest of tattooists would at least notice that kind of thing. But maybe I give too much credit. 

In real life news, a work friend just got a first tattoo. It is terrible. Like really, really bad, bad, bad. I actually gasped in horror when I saw the photo on FB over the weekend. While I have many nice tattoos, I have absolutely no poker face to speak of. As you can imagine, the in-person reveal on Monday was very difficult for me to navigate politely. I actually resorted to, "Did it hurt?"

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

Thank you--man, it was hard. But I tried to coast along vicariously on that new-tattoo euphoria that I understand so well. But really, this was beyond "not something I'd get" and well and far into "what kind of tattooist is this?" territory.

Why do they have to be nice in front of the canvases, it may be hard to hear but the canvas jury have to hear insults about their work from people they don't even know. So I don't think the judges critiquing in front of them during the flash challenge is going to make the canvas fall to the ground and start crying. 

The thing is though, the canvasses on this eps flash challenge were tattoo virgins. You really don't want to tell someone who's had their first tattoo that it's a piece of shit. That might make them fall to the ground and start crying, especially if the people telling you that happen to be the judges.

I thought the elimination tatto challenge was boring and non eventful. Bring back individual tattoos and judge them on their merit alone.

I think Josh should've helped Julia after watching her do wrong. I am tired of seeing these artist act this way. Emily gave Angel a drawing that she knew was horrible. I don't care about messing up the artist's work and trying to play tricks and games, but these people were not thinking about the canvases, THEIR OWN CANVASES!!! They have to live with these tatts for the rest of their lives and might not be able to get them removed or covered.

Going to have to disagree for a couple reasons. first, this is a competition, and they don't have to help each other. Second, if you are such a bad artist that you need your partner to walk you through a tatoo on the spot, you are in the wrong profession. Josh was totally right in saying Julia should know what she's doing without asking for his help. As far as Angel, he said after the fact that he knew the drawing was off, BUT still used it. Why would any artist rely on a competitor's work, especially seeing that it is not up to par? Sorry, but that's on Angel.

Josh was totally right in saying Julia should know what she's doing without asking for his help

The challenge dictated that the two tattoos were supposed to mesh. If Josh was going to ink what he wanted, he should have still been giving direction to Julia. It was clear from the poor quality of his work why he was afraid to do so (but covered that concern with arrogance).

Between Toothpick Man and Núñez every week has some gem of a quote, where one of the two of them (or both) say something that's totally nonsensical.

This week's gem comes from Núñez.  "It's one thing to defend your work, it's another thing to fight a losing battle..."  

Because, you know.  It's not like they're going to criticize you for not standing up for yourself and your work.  Oh, wait.  They totally will!!!  Damned if you don't and damned if you don't. 

In one of his talking heads Aaron was saying something about an ex-wife he ended up marrying who left him a year later- some weird rambling bullshit.  Was he referring to Emily as his ex?  Is that why they're rivals?  I can't remember the origins of their feud..

I think it's some kind of "he hates all women" crap as his backstory.  Which is totally unnecessary to position him that way, since even if Emily isn't his ex (I really don't think so), she's still fairly worthy of anyone's hate all on her own.  Because you know... she's insane.  As for Aaron's actual ex?  It would be quite funny if that woman was insane too and Aaron was just a magnet for that kind of woman, but... we really don't have any way to know.

• Love 2

Oh really Cleen, virgin skin is extremely picky, say it ain't so. Who isn't going to be picky for their first tattoo. 

In real life news, a work friend just got a first tattoo. It is terrible. Like really, really bad, bad, bad. I actually gasped in horror when I saw the photo on FB over the weekend. While I have many nice tattoos, I have absolutely no poker face to speak of. As you can imagine, the in-person reveal on Monday was very difficult for me to navigate politely. I actually resorted to, "Did it hurt?"

IMHO all skins should be picky about all their tatts. They are wearing them for life - be open to suggestion from an experienced artist yes but get what you really want.

I just pointed out a misspelling on a friends tat without realising she didn't know :-( now that's an awkward conversation

• Love 3

Once you point out something wrong in someone's tattoo, that's all they will ever see about it.  When I was tattoing regularly, I had a client come in once with a tiny little piece of their tattoo that looked like a mustache and that's all she could see every time she looked at an otherwise gorgeous tattoo.  It was an easy fix, but she said she hated her tattoo after someone pointed that out.

(edited)

WAY late to this party, but was just catching up on some of last season's episodes before they disappeared from On Demand.  It bugged me all season who Julia reminded me of and it took clear until right before she was eliminated before I figured it out and now I have to get that voice out of my head.

For a couple of episodes I thought it was Victoria Jackson and that was close, but not quite right.  Then when she was getting the adios, it hit me.  Porn star Katie Morgan!  I have only a hazy recollection of what KM looks like so I don't know if the physical resemblance is that close, although they are both of the thin little blonde working the big eyes sort, but the voice is right on.  Once I heard it, I couldn't unhear it.

Edited by Sile