Type keyword(s) to search

Bethenny Frankel: Skinny Girl

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, QuinnM said:

In fun news.  I bet Sonja is having a stroke over the clothing launch that actually got launched.  And they are still filming so we should be able to see the stroke happen.  I can hardly wait for this season.

It will be fun! 

Good for Bethenny with the jeans deal. It is funny....I was trying on jeans this weekend - of the skinny variety - and my mind went to Bethenny and jeans. I know the word "skinny" existed a long time before there was ever anyone named Bethenny Frankel, but she has done such a good job of marketing her brand that when I hear the word she often pops into my head. It seems like such a good fit for her, but then she hasn't fared well with clothes, has she? It seems like she tried something in the past that didn't stick, but I cannot remember the details. The fact that she is still able to find successful, reputable partners for her various ventures seems to be an indication that her brand is still very strong. 

13 hours ago, QuinnM said:

In fun news.  I bet Sonja is having a stroke over the clothing launch that actually got launched.  And they are still filming so we should be able to see the stroke happen.  I can hardly wait for this season.

It will be fun! 

Good for Bethenny with the jeans deal. It is funny....I was trying on jeans this weekend - of the skinny variety - and my mind went to Bethenny and jeans. I know the word "skinny" existed a long time before there was ever anyone named Bethenny Frankel, but she has done such a good job of marketing her brand that when I hear the word she often pops into my head. It seems like such a good fit for her, but then she hasn't fared well with clothes, has she? It seems like she tried something in the past that didn't stick, but I cannot remember the details. The fact that she is still able to find successful, reputable partners for her various ventures seems to be an indication that her brand is still very strong. 

• Love 4

Good for Bethenny with the jeans deal. It is funny....I was trying on jeans this weekend - of the skinny variety - and my mind went to Bethenny and jeans.

The items that you saw on Insta were a pretty complete collection.  There were jean skirts, some short, some not.  A lot of the jeans had the side stripe detailing that you are seeing now.  So very on trend.  Bomber jackets, longer wool with zipper detail.  Obviously the collection is black, white and a little red.  I saw some fabric that had a dark grey look to it too.  I can’t tell you how different the whole thing looks compared to Sonja’s. And I mean the team, the display, not just the clothes.  So if they are ready for sales my guess is we’ll see it in stores this fall.

I keep thinking about the billionaire that Jessica Simpson became just starting with a line of shoes.  There must be money in this market.  If you can do it.

• Love 4

Ok let me try this again.  The group she’s with has it’s own label and does a lot of other labels.  It is not a mom and pop operation.  Quite established.  Anyway hard to say where she’ll end up selling since other brands with this group are all over.  The price point is a $100 max for all items.  That says not Nordstrom.   So far the NYPost has slammed her for not including non skinny girls.  But the line itself does include non skinny girls in the promo literature.  I see Bethenny talking about SkinnyGirl not being about your look but about your attitude.  So I expect at some point she will start to move her brand to SG or something.  I mean it was great for a margarita but not so much a lifestyle.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, QuinnM said:

So I expect at some point she will start to move her brand to SG or something.  I mean it was great for a margarita but not so much a lifestyle.

I remember when she first got the big $$ deal and I thought that Skinny Girl was a terrrrrible name for a cocktail brand. She limited her audience, imo.  Her commercials and print ads were about fabulous, thin Manhattanites in swanky settings sipping Skinny Girl margaritas.  Personally, I can't imagine being greatly overweight and plunking my big, curvaceous butt down on a barstool and asking the barkeep for a Skinny Girl anything.  And not just because most of it tastes like swill. But also because the name seemed so body-shaming.  Maybe less so back in the day, but now?  Oy. 

Let's see how she does with apparel.  But like you, I think she'll get some blowback and change the brand name to SG or something.

Here's the article calling her 'tone deaf'. https://nypost.com/2018/01/09/bethenny-frankels-new-skinnygirl-jeans-line-is-incredibly-tone-deaf/

For whatever I think about this tragic, messy trainwreck, she can wear the hell out of a pain of jeans and heels.  There's a pic on her Instagram and she's wearing black SG studded jeans that look good but it won't let me share.

skinnygirl-jeans_bethennyf.jpg

• Love 5
et: Whose hand is on her waist, as she dances? (I know it's the woman behind her, but does anybody know who that is? And the hand appearring/disappearing is so odd.)

Edited by film noire
no words needed + a few unwashed glasses left behind
  • Love 1

So she is single (buh bye Dennis) and still working on her (oh the irony) dating app, and quoting Forrest Gump (again, oh the irony) along the way:

"“I’m single and dating,” she says. “[I’m] utterly available.”

As for the worst part (of dating)? “Dating is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re going to get". 

http://people.com/tv/bethenny-frankel-single-utterly-available-might-create-own-dating-app/

Top Ten movie quotes/advice for men considering dating Bethenny:

"One does not simply walk into Mordor."

"You're going to need a bigger boat."

"Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a litigious night."

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that this particular single woman, in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of strife."

"Skinnygirl is people!"

"Fish with fins are friends, not food."

"Forget it, Jake.  The date's in Chinatown."

"Frankel, my dear, I don't give a damn."

"Take the gun. Leave the cannolli."

"Rosecrud."

Edited by film noire
  • Love 10
51 minutes ago, film noire said:

So she is single (buh bye Dennis) and still working on her (oh the irony) dating app, and quoting Forrest Gump (oh the irony) along the way:

"As for the worst part (of dating)? “Dating is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re going to get". 

http://people.com/tv/bethenny-frankel-single-utterly-available-might-create-own-dating-app/

Top Ten movie quotes/advice for men considering dating Bethenny:

"One does not simply walk into Mordor."

"You're going to need a bigger boat."

"Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a litigious night."

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that this particular single woman, in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of strife."

"Skinnygirl is people!"

"Fish with fins are friends, not food."

"Forget it, Jake.  The date's in Chinatown."

"Frankel, my dear, I don't give a damn."

"Take the gun. Leave the cannolli."

"Rosecrud."

Didn't she break it off with Shields last year at the start of filming as well? I see a pattern, no dating during filming so that she doesn't have to share that part of her private life, then back to dating (whoever) when filming ends. LOL

• Love 10
2 hours ago, WireWrap said:

Didn't she break it off with Shields last year at the start of filming as well? I see a pattern, no dating during filming so that she doesn't have to share that part of her private life, then back to dating (whoever) when filming ends. LOL

So last year at the Reunion the deal was everyone was in a relationship.  Less than six months later Carole, Bethenny, Ramona and Luann are no longer in the particular relationship they were in at the time of the Reunion.  Hard to believe Dorinda and John are the on going stable couple.

I always thought Bethenny was settling with Dennis.  I hope Dennis is out of the picture-forever.  No sense in going back and repeating the same mistake.  The upside of Dennis is he gave a boatload of cash to her charity.

• Love 5

Hm.  So once again Beth, who gave 'advice' to Heather about going into active wear (which Heather was already doing), is doing a line that Heather has done successfully.  Everyone here who has bought Yummy jeans have loved them.  Even all the NY HWs raved about her jeans.  Beth also did a shape wear line that couldn't compare to Heather's.  I know.  I saw them both at Nordstrom Rack.  Tons of Beth's.  A little of Heather's.  No comparison.  Heather won hands down.

Beth's career has become making licensing agreements and throwing them at the wall and see what sticks.  Most of them end up at Marshall's or TJ Maxx.  The word "Skinny" in today's world just doesn't entice women.  It's passe.  But she'll keep trying as long as she can make a few bucks and can talk companies into deals.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

Hm.  So once again Beth, who gave 'advice' to Heather about going into active wear (which Heather was already doing), is doing a line that Heather has done successfully.  Everyone here who has bought Yummy jeans have loved them.  Even all the NY HWs raved about her jeans.  Beth also did a shape wear line that couldn't compare to Heather's.  I know.  I saw them both at Nordstrom Rack.  Tons of Beth's.  A little of Heather's.  No comparison.  Heather won hands down.

Beth's career has become making licensing agreements and throwing them at the wall and see what sticks.  Most of them end up at Marshall's or TJ Maxx.  The word "Skinny" in today's world just doesn't entice women.  It's passe.  But she'll keep trying as long as she can make a few bucks and can talk companies into deals.

There have been a couple of articles in the fashion/main stream press about her missing the mark name wise for her jean line but so far crickets from Bethenny. Bethenny had her shapewear line before Heather and it was a flop long ago and I'm not so sure her jeans will do much better either. She just doesn't seem to do well selling clothing.

I do agree, she slaps a SG label on a lot of things hoping 1 or 2 of them make it into the stores for a reorder, most don't though and are found in the clearance aisle/rack.

• Love 3
On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 0:07 AM, WireWrap said:

I do agree, she slaps a SG label on a lot of things hoping 1 or 2 of them make it into the stores for a reorder, most don't though and are found in the clearance aisle/rack.

If she slaps a label on the back of a pair of jeans that actually says, 'SKINNY GIRL', I don't care how fabulous the jeans are, this gal isn't wearing them.  I can't imagine anyone bigger than a size 8 that would.

• Love 3

If she slaps a label on the back of a pair of jeans that actually says, 'SKINNY GIRL', I don't care how fabulous the jeans are, this gal isn't wearing them.  I can't imagine anyone bigger than a size 8 that would.

Nope, no logo.  As any 13 year old will tell you, no one wears someone else’s name on there butt anymore.  That’s so 90’s.  I was looking to see if she went with a logo but I didn’t see that either.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, QuinnM said:

Nope, no logo.  As any 13 year old will tell you, no one wears someone else’s name on there butt anymore.  That’s so 90’s.  I was looking to see if she went with a logo but I didn’t see that either.

All the high end brands (that I know of) label their jeans. Even mid range still do. The only jeans I have that aren't labeled are the really cheap ones - some Old Navy and a pair of St. John's Bay. So maybe since the 13 year olds don't generally buy the high end jeans, that's why they don't know labels are alive and well.

I'm very surprised Beth isn't labeling hers. She rarely misses an opportunity to promote her brand.  Where did you see that she skipped a label?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ryebread said:

All the high end brands (that I know of) label their jeans. Even mid range still do. The only jeans I have that aren't labeled are the really cheap ones - some Old Navy and a pair of St. John's Bay. So maybe since the 13 year olds don't generally buy the high end jeans, that's why they don't know labels are alive and well.

I'm very surprised Beth isn't labeling hers. She rarely misses an opportunity to promote her brand.  Where did you see that she skipped a label?

I had to go pull a couple of pairs of mine to see.  On my high end denim, 7's just had a small (seriously, like .5 inch) red label off to the side with just the number 7 on it but I had another pair by 7 with no label. J Brand had nothing. Rag and Bone had nothing. Paige sometimes had a label but again, it was small.  Nothing like what Levi used to put on their waistbands in the 80's.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, diadochokinesis said:

I had to go pull a couple of pairs of mine to see.  On my high end denim, 7's just had a small (seriously, like .5 inch) red label off to the side with just the number 7 on it but I had another pair by 7 with no label. J Brand had nothing. Rag and Bone had nothing. Paige sometimes had a label but again, it was small.  Nothing like what Levi used to put on their waistbands in the 80's.

Are you talking about Seven7 or 7FAM? True Religion has (had) an obnoxious branding label - more like a patch - on the back. That's the kind of label I see Beth having. Lol. Big and loud. She would be wise to just brand the jeans as SG jeans and leave the 'Skinny' out of it. And put a small SG on the pocket like Rag & Bone and their small RB.

I always thought the Levis label was odd. I mean, if you're a guy wearing a size 42x30, why would you want to advertise that across your ass?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, gundysgirl said:

Skinny Jeans are everywhere. Skinny Jeans are a thing. They make them in all sizes and people in all sizes buy them. 

Of course they are! And come in all sizes. My point and opinion is, she's going to limit her market if she brands them 'Skinny Girl' and puts a visible label that says same on the back. 

• Love 4

Skinny Jeans are everywhere. Skinny Jeans are a thing. They make them in all sizes and people in all sizes buy them. 

As long as they fit well and are good quality, people might not worry too much about the name.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, diadochokinesis said:

Hah, I pulled mine out too. All of mine - Citizens of Humanity, AG, Paige had very, very small label and most of them blended with the denim. J Brand had nothing. I think even True Religion has shrunk theirs and made them more traditional looking (I hate TR and don't have any). I do have a pair of CoHs from the early 2000s and the label is bigger, but not huge. I would think she would go with an understated SG - or she should.

• Love 1

Hah, I pulled mine out too. All of mine - Citizens of Humanity, AG, Paige had very, very small label and most of them blended with the denim. J Brand had nothing. I think even True Religion has shrunk theirs and made them more traditional looking (I hate TR and don't have any). I do have a pair of CoHs from the early 2000s and the label is bigger, but not huge. I would think she would go with an understated SG - or she should.

So I think everyone needs a 13 year old in their life or they might accidentally do something so ‘90s like wear jeans with someone’s name across your butt.

There were a lot of photos on Instagram.  I saw no label nor logo.  Recent articles said her showroom is across the hall from DVF and Sonja had asked her if she ever thought as a little girl that she would have a showroom across from the first woman to put her name on jeans.  Bethenny thought it was an excellent observation.

So if I had a brand that was SkinnyGirl now is the time to do jeans since everyone has skinny jeans.  I mean everyone, all sizes.  The look is skinny jeans.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, QuinnM said:

So if I had a brand that was SkinnyGirl now is the time to do jeans since everyone has skinny jeans.  I mean everyone, all sizes.  The look is skinny jeans.  

I agree with this. She has "skinny" in her name, and skinny jeans are all the rage. Seems like the most natural fit in the world to me. 

• Love 3

I can't imagine Frankel wouldn't slap her logo somewhere on those jeans - goes against all her blah-blah about branding. This was on her insta, so she's willing  to connect the dots advertising them, if nothing else.

skinnygirl jeans.jpg

• Love 1

Since she had no obligation to send anything, I don't see the problem. 

Common practice to send food for Shiva.  It’s about feeding the masses for days.  So anything is welcome.  We always send a case of mixed pop and a case of fancy water.  We’ve never checked if it was a favorite of the deceased.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Rap541 said:

Since she had no obligation to send anything, I don't see the problem. 

I disagree -- in most cultures, there's a strong social obligation to send something during a time of grief (and that's absolutely true for Jewish people - cultural Jews or religious - in NYC).

3 hours ago, Otherkate said:

We have family friends who own a small food company and they've always sent their own stuff straight from the store - not sure this is unusual.

I don't think food on platters =  bottles of Skinnygirl.   Frankel could have sent a shiva basket or platters  (like Cohen did from Greengrass) or anything not emblazoned with the Skinnygirl logo. 

Add in this photo on her insta,  and it's pretty clear I was foolish to say she acted well -  so creepy.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, QuinnM said:

Common practice to send food for Shiva.  It’s about feeding the masses for days.  So anything is welcome.  We always send a case of mixed pop and a case of fancy water.  We’ve never checked if it was a favorite of the deceased.

I seem to remember the tradition to bring food when you went to the home.  Not that people had things delivered separately if they didn't go to the home.

Listen, the woman was in Aspen when Bobby died, she flew back very quickly in order to make it to the funeral.  I'd cut her some slack on the shiva food/wine.

As to whether it is a favorite of the deceased, there's an old joke about the dying man whose son asks if there is anything he can get his father before he dies.  The father says "your mother's apple strudel."  Son comes back, no strudel, tells the father "Mama says you can't have any."  Why?  Because the strudel is for "after the funeral."

• Love 10
14 hours ago, film noire said:

"Bethenny is said to have sent Skinnygirl wine for the shiva held after the funeral."

http://www.bravotv.com/the-daily-dish/jill-zarin-shares-which-housewives-have-supported-her-after-bobby-zarins-death

Why not a case of Bobby's favorite spirit or wine? (Rhetorical question: I know the answer).

Eye roll. She also sent a basket while he was sick and you know it was chock full of Skinnygirl bars and diet microwave popcorn . That's not comfort that is advertising and marketing your product.  Maybe she sent something else in the basket but I doubt . Her dad's family were Brooklyn Caterers she knows something from Shiva food!!!! 

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Mrs peel said:

Listen, the woman was in Aspen when Bobby died, she flew back very quickly in order to make it to the funeral.  I'd cut her some slack on the shiva food/wine.

Exactly. Personally, I don't even find it weird around here.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Alonzo Mosely FBI said:

That's not comfort that is advertising and marketing your product. 

Exactly.

And she can't seem to stop herself, anymore. She used to be able to curtail the impulse, but now it's driving her 24/7. She's always starving for attention -- for herself, her "brand" -- no matter the circumstances. She's the friggin' pizza rat of limelight seekers.

there's an old joke about the dying man whose son asks if there is anything he can get his father before he dies.  The father says "your mother's apple strudel."  Son comes back, no strudel, tells the father "Mama says you can't have any."  Why?  Because the strudel is for "after the funeral."

LOL

Edited by film noire
  • Love 4

I disagree -- in most cultures, there's a strong social obligation to send something during a time of grief (and that's absolutely true for Jewish people - cultural Jews or religious - in NYC).

I'm not arguing that culturally we tend to bring food to a family grieving (Stephen King called it "the rite of food"). The issue I take is the expectation that Bethenny who was no longer on good terms with Jill was under obligation to send food or else face social shaming. The reality is that they are no longer close friends and Bethenny is under no obligation to send food to someone who frankly doesn't like her. That Bethenny did take the time to send a gift of food was Bethenny doing more than what she was required. She probably did it for Bobby's sake but really, this another example of Bethenny being held to a ridiculous standard. Not only is she socially obligated to provide food to a woman who quite frankly was HARDLY the innocent victim in their rift, she is being judged for the quality and content of her gift. 

Jill and Bethenny have not been friends for a long time. Bethenny is under no obligation to provide food for shiva to a woman who she isn't on good terms with. That she did provide a gift of wine was nice of her, considering how poor the relationship is, and again, I suspect it was out of respect for Bobby more than anything else. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Rap541 said:

but really, this another example of Bethenny being held to a ridiculous standard. 

I don't see how it's a "ridiculous standard" since it's not being applied to Frankel alone -- it's a Jewish (and Christian) tradition - once she let it be known she was attending Bobby's service,  the expectation came into play that she would contribute.  

She chose to meet that obligation by sending Skinnygirl product instead of a shiva basket (or something similar) which I found tacky -- and you think is great -- which means we are very far apart on this, so I think we'll just have to agree to disagree :)

Edited by film noire
  • Love 5
39 minutes ago, film noire said:

I don't see how it's a "ridiculous standard" since it's not being applied to Frankel alone -- it's a Jewish (and Christian) tradition - once she let it be known she was attending Bobby's service,  the expectation came into play that she would contribute.  

She chose to meet that obligation by sending Skinnygirl product instead of a shiva basket (or something similar) which I found tacky -- and you think is great -- which means we are very far apart on this, so I think we'll just have to agree to disagree :)

What I find odd is that Bethenny sent wine, be it hers or another brand, to a family that doesn't drink alcohol to begin with. The food/drink is for the family to consume so that the family doesn't have to worry about cooking meals during this painful time and since alcohol is not something they consume, it doesn't make sense. IMO, her going to the memorial was enough but if she felt she needed to do more, either send food or give a donation to the cancer group that Jill/Bobby supported. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, WireWrap said:

What I find odd is that Bethenny sent wine, be it hers or another brand, to a family that doesn't drink alcohol to begin with. The food/drink is for the family to consume so that the family doesn't have to worry about cooking meals during this painful time and since alcohol is not something they consume, it doesn't make sense. IMO, her going to the memorial was enough but if she felt she needed to do more, either send food or give a donation to the cancer group that Jill/Bobby supported. 

Does the family not consume wine? 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, gundysgirl said:

Does the family not consume wine? 

SG wine has alcohol in it. The family members we have seen on the show, Jill's family, never drank alcohol that I can recall and Bethenny sent the wine to Jill's house, not to some other family members house that does/might drink. Honestly, I think Bethenny felt she should send something and sent what she had lying around her house/office without any thought as to who she was sending it to.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, WireWrap said:

What I find odd is that Bethenny sent wine, be it hers or another brand, to a family that doesn't drink alcohol to begin with. 

You're right, I'd forgotten that she only drinks diet coke. Very odd thing to send (presumably sent for guests?) And didn't Ramona say (at one of the reunions) that Jill had been in AA (Jill denied it, that much I remember.)

eta: Yep, Ramona did say it (god, that woman!)  Not quoting b/c it's Bethenny's thread, but info at link;

http://hollywoodlife.com/2011/08/01/ramona-singer-jill-zarin-today-show-fight-alcoholic-reunion-episode/

Edited by film noire
  • Love 1

In my experience, the purpose of the food has been more to feed all the people who show up, rather than to feed the family.  I'm guessing (I'm not Jewish, but, again, my experience with this, which is limited), that when you sit shiva, there are a ton of people who come in and out, and well, you feed visitors.  I know that I would feel obligated to have food for any visitors, which would be burdensome had I just lost my spouse.  So, I send food so the grieving family doesn't have to worry about having anything to feed those who show up, they can sit and visit and just do what feels most comfortable for them.  And, of course, if they feel like eating, then I'm happy I was able to provide them some food.  But, mostly I figure I'm sending it so I'm taking one thing off of their plate as far as feeding visitors, and so in that light, I don't think sending wine, even if someone drinks is a problem.  I believe Jill and Bobby did provide alcohol in their home for guests, so it's not like they had a dry house (in which case, I wouldn't send alcohol). 

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, smores said:

In my experience, the purpose of the food has been more to feed all the people who show up, rather than to feed the family.  I'm guessing (I'm not Jewish, but, again, my experience with this, which is limited), that when you sit shiva, there are a ton of people who come in and out, and well, you feed visitors.  I know that I would feel obligated to have food for any visitors, which would be burdensome had I just lost my spouse.  So, I send food so the grieving family doesn't have to worry about having anything to feed those who show up, they can sit and visit and just do what feels most comfortable for them.  And, of course, if they feel like eating, then I'm happy I was able to provide them some food.  But, mostly I figure I'm sending it so I'm taking one thing off of their plate as far as feeding visitors, and so in that light, I don't think sending wine, even if someone drinks is a problem.  I believe Jill and Bobby did provide alcohol in their home for guests, so it's not like they had a dry house (in which case, I wouldn't send alcohol). 

But did they serve alcohol in their home? I honestly don't remember ever seeing anyone drink at their house but it is possible they did for filming purposes. I really do think that Bethenny thought she should send something and sent what she had handy, her wine.

• Love 1