Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Road Happy

Cranberry

I think this episode included every character on the show. That's a lot of folks to keep track of.

I had hoped with all of the "who's the daddy" drama and movie making and career saving, that Juliette would be allowed to have a normal/complication free pregnancy. Stupid on my part...Juliette never wins.

I didn't know Derek Hough before this show, but his styling makes him look like a 1950's B-movie villain.

Speaking of styling, Luke wears make-up. Heh! I know that it's fairly common for staged performers, but I chuckled none-the-less. Luke seems almost too much of a caricature to be a real person. Either he really is as shallow as they come, or the writers have gone way over the top with his characterization. I'll assume it is some combination of the two. His most sincere scene was when he was talking about growing up poor, and even then, he was so resentful that he seemed to miss the whole point Rayna was making about being poor but happy and loved.

I cheered for Rayna's entrepreneurial spirit in season one where she just wanted to "create a label to nurture young artists", but now it just seems like a vanity project to keep her name at the top of the charts. The working mother in me totally understands the pain of missing those special moments, but this isn't Rayna's first trip to the circus; she knew what she was signing up for, so buck up sister! Also...ear piercing and highlights aren't exactly the most momentous occasions your daughters are going to have. Just sayin'... 

Will really isn't smart, is he? Chris Carmack is gorgeous, so kudos to the make-up folks for the ghastly bruises and cuts. Like Luke, his character is really just a caricature now, too bad...there was so much potential with this story.

Nice to see Deacon just hanging with a friend, eating pizza. I appreciated his advice to Will, and thought it was in character for him to be open-minded about Will's sexuality. I like he and Pam as friends with benefits; don't need for it to develop into anything more.

What is up with Sage? We've been teased with her existence since we first met Colt. Maybe she's a real piece of work, and the writers are holding out the suspense to amp up the drama, or maybe she just doesn't like her father and is avoiding him at every turn.

Edited to add: More music please!

Edited by jazzpno
  • Love 1

I cannot understand why the writers are so enamored with Zoe. She grates on my nerves. I hope she gets smacked down for taking Juliette's place on stage, rather than lauded for it.

I think the only reason why we're seeing Rayna depressed over leaving her girls is because we haven't seen it before. Sure, she's been through it, but the writers didn't get to give us that drama - and we know they love drama. Still, I imagine it's never easy to miss the big moments in their lives, no matter how many times you've been away from them.

• Love 1

The "Magical Negro" or as I prefer to call him, "the homeless guy", was played by Mykelti Williams AKA Bubba from Forrest Gump and Boomtown.  I am a big fan of his work.  I think he is a highly underrated actor.

For the first time since Season One, I actually enjoyed the show.  I found the story lines interesting (even though some didn't ring true) and all the actors seemed to have brought their A-game.   Well done!

• Love 2

It is very 2014, sadly. Chely Wright is basically the only country artist to ever come out and unfortunately her career is all but dead.

The south may be growing and changing, but it's still the south and it's still got the Bible Belt--and these people are some of country's biggest demographics.

source: born and bred Tennessean. Shares a hometown with Kenny Chesney, where the rumors run rampant.

Yeah, this definitely applies to mainstream country -- it isn't ready to embrace a big-time gay country singer. But I'd love to see the show explore the Americana movement, and show that there's more than the mainstream. That could be a really interesting place to take Will's character, to have him expelled from the big country machine but embraced but the movement that, to me anyway, is the real spiritual successor to the greats of the genre.

I know his dream is to be a big Dude Country star, but I'd love if they'd have them explore other areas for him. It'd be a good parallel between his personal and professional lives.

• Love 6

Hoo boy, the only thing that Zoe replacing Juliette proved is that ZOE IS NO JULIETTE (and that actress is no Hayden Panettiere). Really highlighted the difference between having "it" and not.

Was Will dressed like a sailor when he was walking, er "cruising", through the park? Talk about dragging out your tired TV tropes. Jeez, show.

I don't agree. Chaley is a miles better singer (Hayden isn't really a singer at all) and has far more stage presence IMO. That said, Juliette is my favourite character but I've always found her stage presence leaving a lot to be desired. Which is fine, Carrie Underwood didn't have any stage presence when she started, country music is a different game than pop.

Wow.Avery has fallen off the crazy tree and hit every damn branch on the way down. His reaction, to Juliette sleeping with someone she hates because she hates herself and felt humiliated at trying to seduce a boyfriend who was far more interested in writing songs with Scarlett and sleeping by her hospital bedside, has been waaaaay over the top. If I were Juliette I wouldn't have slept with Jeff that's for damn sure but I would have broken up with Avery after he was spouting sweet nothings to Scarlett and that is an absolute.

Now he's acting like a veritable psychopath getting angry at her for not telling him, uh yeah maybe if you stopping calling her a whoring piece of nothing for five seconds she could have squeezed the words out, you big hunk of stupid.

Avery knows the kind of childhood she had and he knows she doesn't let anyone in, for him to be stomping around treating her like a whore is unconscionable to me. She cheated with someone she HATED. She's suffering more than he is, for god's sakes man, pull your dumb self together, and then he has the nerve to go banging and screaming on her trailer door? He reminds me of wife-beating trailer trash. How ironic. I don't want him anywhere near my Juliette. Back the fuck up Avery, back the fuck up.

#TeamHough

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 10

Who cares if Teddy didn't talk to Rayna? I mean, clearly they'd already agreed on an age when Daphne could do it, and she's that age. I understand what they're trying to do with Rayna: give her some insight into how her transformation into a fame whore is hurting people, herself included, but really she just consistently comes across as self-righteous. Teddy is the kids' dad. Unless Rayna specifically told him she wanted to be there when the girls did these things and he ignored that, he did nothing wrong. All things are not all about Rayna, and everyone else shouldn't have to put their lives on hold because Rayna decided to leave her family for a year to court money and fame that she doesn't need. And anyway, it's highlights and ear piercing; it's not like Teddy married one of the kids off without telling her.

Also, if this is the episode where Daphne is supposed to be "entitled," I'm laughing over here. She told her mother off deservedly and said she preferred chocolate milk. That's it. I'll take a kid that "bratty" any day.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 4

I will reiterate my earlier point that Rayna has been on the road before, but seemingly never to this extent (a year straight?) and certainly never as obsessively.

I think she's always kept her touring in check where the girls were concerned, such as bringing them with her when they were younger and scaling back her dates when they started school.

Now on top of touring, she also has to spend her days off filming commercials and whoring out her new status as a celebrity couple.

Then, when she pushes back, Luke is all "awwww come on now darlin, they'll get used to it."

Isn't there supposed to be a reason his son hates him and his children are literally never around?

She chose this life of fame whoring and press and everyone snooping into her life and her daughters lives.

I feel nothing resembling sorry for her. She needs to own this and make it right, not berate the people who are actually around for her girls.

And perhaps I'm in the minority, but I do think Deacon should have priority over Luke where it comes to Maddie. He's her father, he has the same day off.

Didn't she spend her day cooped up in a trailer and then dodging cameras? While he got to see Luke plastering "family" photos of her all over the internet? Sounds healthy.

Edited by airwair
  • Love 4

The only good to come from this episode is my hope that Deacon will take in Avery and Gunnar and open a home for wayward dads.

Is there any male character who's known about his child from the start? And furthermore, were the writers that hard-pressed for a story for Gunnar? There's still tons of potential in his writing relationship with Scarlett; we don't need a mystery moppet to help him find his voice.

The less said about Scarlett and her new inspiration, the better. Insulting all around.

• Love 8

It is very 2014, sadly. Chely Wright is basically the only country artist to ever come out and unfortunately her career is all but dead.

The south may be growing and changing, but it's still the south and it's still got the Bible Belt--and these people are some of country's biggest demographics.

source: born and bred Tennessean. Shares a hometown with Kenny Chesney, where the rumors run rampant.

I agree it is sad but probably still very true. That be said I'd be fine if they were telling the story of how country music reacts to a gay star, but they aren't. They are just telling the story of a closeted gay man, scared for his career and what will be thought of him if his secret comes out. Which is a valid story and sadly proabably still very true to life in a lot of cases, it's just not a very unique story to television and they are missing the boat on doing something much more powerful in my opinion.

• Love 4

Both men and women miss things when they are working parents but only women get raked over the coals because of it. Yes Rayna knew she would miss things but it doesn't mean she can't feel sad about it. Working mothers have all kinds of guilt and a lot if it is the constant judgement that that they are choosing there job over their kids.

Getting your ears pierced is a girly thing and we have seen that it's the kind of thing Rayna typically does with her girls. No Teddy wasn't wrong per se, but it is wrong to try to hurt your ex rather than focus on what is best for girls. Teddy has been a good dad but not a good guy in general.

I rolled my eyes at yet another character becoming a dad, and Will who appears to be and do the dumbest things.

• Love 7

I get that they were trying to show that Daphne is an entitled brat, but I'm having difficulty buying that. I mean, why is it so bratty of her to say that she preferred chocolate milk to plain milk? The flight attendant's job is serve her right? And while Cole was rude, she wasn't. She just said that she'd prefer chocolate milk. i know this is supposed to be bratty of Daphne and we'll see it more down the line, but this particular incident wouldn't ping my radar except for the narrative music and reactions. 

I took Daphne's request for chocolate milk as a sign that Colton is a bad influence on Rayna's daughters. I think the show is setting up that conflict between Luke and Rayna. Daphne didn't act like this before Luke and his son were in the picture and I can see Rayna and/or Teddy blaming Luke and his obnoxious kid for turning their sweet innocent girls into hellions. *eye roll*

I like Deacon and Pam enough. So far she's a low drama presence and this show needs a few of those. Plus I just have no interest in seeing Deacon and Rayna together. I know TPTB seem to think that everyone is just clamoring for Deacon/Rayna but I think they bring out the worst in each other. My only issue with Pam so far is that she's a little too much of a Cool Girl. (TM Gone Girl)

Will. He's either got to come out or let go of his dream of stardom. One or the other needs to happen or he's going to end up dead. Plus, I'll be honest, he doesn't strike me as the type to have safe sex even when he's cruising the park. His levels of self-delusion are too deep. 

Layla. Just stop. Her characterization has been so all over the place that I don't know what to expect from her. She's been a fame obsessed All About Eve type, an innocent clueless bride, the Christian virgin, the woman scorned, the poor woebegone runner up and everything else. The show doesn't know what she's supposed to be and I don't care.

Juliette, you poor crazy child. Texting Avery then claiming you don't know him when he shows up?! WTF was that? Grow the hell up and deal with your situation like an adult.

Zoe. The crowd would've put up with her for maybe a verse of two under the mistaken impression that Juliette might be changing costumes or about to reappear in some dramatic way with special effects but anything else strains credulity. Much like Zoe strains my patience.

Let's retire Glenn's rug for good.

• Love 5

Rayna is engaged to Luke so as far as she is concerned, they are a family now (plus Sage who is off at dance camp - ha!). No reason they shouldn't take pictures of them when they are together. A friend of mine who has one kid was dating a guy who had three kids. Even before they got engaged, they considered the six of them a family and they posted pictures of various iterations of themselves and the kids all the time on facebook with captions about how much they loved their family, so I don't see anything wrong with what Rayna did as long as everyone in the picture was okay with it being posted. She can't spend the rest of her life worrying about hurting Deacon's feelings.

Wasn't at all suggesting that she should worry about Deacon's feelings. She should worry about her daughter's feelings which don't seem to be her priority right now. She should have made sure that they were OK with it. Plenty of time to take family photos after the wedding.

Of course, this seems to be a major plot this year - Rayna more concerned about her album and her public persona than her daughters.

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 2

I would say she's a "working mom" if she needed the publicity or the money of this massive tour--- she does not. She is choosing this because she feels like it and because her shit fiancé is convincing her it's a good idea because he loves money and publicity and now her money and publicity is his.

Because she is choosing this to get ahead on a platform she has no reason to need to stand on (and quite frankly it's out of character from the Rayna we saw in season one), I think she is absolutely right to be ridiculed, especially when she wants to jump on her high horse and ask Teddy how dare he.

• Love 3

I would say she's a "working mom" if she needed the publicity or the money of this massive tour--- she does not. She is choosing this because she feels like it and because her shit fiancé is convincing her it's a good idea because he loves money and publicity and now her money and publicity is his.

That's not correct, is it?  She leveraged all of her money/holdings/her home to finance Highway 65 and the success of the company was contingent upon her successful album release and tour, right?

• Love 5

Nope. She did at first, but it was established in episode 2 that her father's estate had been settled and she no longer needed the money, as she had inherited his.

That's why Luke said between her dad's money and marrying him she could sit around all day being "Mrs. Luke Wheeler" if she wanted.

And the success of the label is not contingent upon her-- she should really spend more time trying to find other artists rather than focusing on herself.

I was always under the impression H65 was supposed to be a refuge for under serviced artists without a voice, which she is in a great position to do.

I didn't realize she was trying to make it Edgehill's equal in every way right out of the gate.

Edited by airwair
  • Love 3
I feel nothing resembling sorry for her. She needs to own this and make it right, not berate the people who are actually around for her girls.

I agree completely. Rayna is totally in control of this. She's the one doing it to everyone else, not the other way around. She has nothing but options, and this is what she chose. Bleck.

And perhaps I'm in the minority, but I do think Deacon should have priority over Luke where it comes to Maddie. He's her father, he has the same day off.

I agree with you, but I actually don't think it was about Luke this time. I think Rayna wanted to see the kids because she missed them and Daphne was so upset. Luke was there and causing trouble because he's a leech, but I don't think Rayna kept Maddie from Deacon in favor of Luke.

Both men and women miss things when they are working parents but only women get raked over the coals because of it. Yes Rayna knew she would miss things but it doesn't mean she can't feel sad about it. Working mothers have all kinds of guilt and a lot if it is the constant judgement that that they are choosing there job over their kids.

In this case, both the men and women in question aren't doing it. If Teddy or Deacon were ignoring their kids' needs because they wanted fame and fortune they didn't need, I'd be just as upset with them. But they aren't. Rayna is. (And so is Luke; I have no problem slamming him too.) Rayna's not some tortured, suffering working mother who needs support or even someone who's trying desperately to build a career and balance parenthood; she's a superstar with endless resources who is choosing a lifestyle that is hurting her children. She'll get no sympathy for that from me, and it does people a disservice not to hold them accountable for their behavior. In the case of women, excusing them because they're women is also incredibly demeaning and no kind of feminism that I want to be a part of.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

I don't think is all on Luke, he did say that she didn't need the money. She had her dad's inheritance and plus Luke's a superstar millionaire himself. He said she could stay home and not tour. 

Rayna was steer heading going on tour when she found out Will bumped her off the charts. She didn't care about the girls, she cared about her position, it's an ego thing for her. Without Luke giving input.

• Love 1

Let me get this straight:

Deacon got Rayna pregnant (unplanned), and Rayna hid from Deacon for a long time who the father is.

Avery got Juliette pregnant (unplanned), and Juliette hid from Avery for a long time who the father is.

Gunnar got Kiley pregnant (unplanned), and Kiley hid from Gunnar for a long time who the father is.

Are we supposed to be drawing parallels, or are the writers so creatively bankrupt that they can't think of any new ideas?  Having both Avery and Gunnar dealing with their newly-discovered fatherhood at the same time seems like overload to me.

And Teddy got Peggy pregnant (unplanned) as well.  Doesn't ANYBODY in the cast know how to use effective birth control?  All of the main cast members have been involved with unplanned pregnancies except for Scarlett, the kids, Will, and Layla (and if she's pregnant next episode, I will scream).

• Love 13

But last night she said that if her doing this was going to cause them to act out and hurt this way, she wasn't sure she wanted it.

His answer?

"They'll get used to it."

I can't remember what he said (if anything) after she said "I don't want them to get used to it," but I'm sure it wasn't very supportive of her wanting to be home with her kids.

• Love 2

I think it's fairly obvious that Luke is the influence that's nudging Rayna in the fame whore direction. If she were having these conversations with Deacon, or even Teddy probably, she'd get different advice. Luke is a face with no soul. He cares about money, fame, etc. and even though he's not a terrible parent, he is uninterested in any emotional issues his kids may have as a result of his career choices. He tries to buy them happiness, hence his comment to Colt about the $1,500 headphones. Rayna was never like that until she got involved with Luke. She was struggling with her new place in the country music scene and how to navigate that, but when she spoke to Deacon about it, he told her she could do it however she wanted: leave when you like, come back when you like, you're not an overnight sensation. When she sat there looking at her face and feeling old in the pilot, Teddy made a comment about divorcing her if she got a facelift. When Maddie's world fell apart because of the video, Deacon, Teddy, and Rayna went on TV to try to fix it for her even though the three of them could barely stand to be in the same room together. Rayna has always been painted as a devoted, loving, concientious parent whose primary focus was protecting her children and being there for them, likely because she lost her own mother so young. Luke has a different approach. When she mentioned wanting to protect Maddie from Twitter and internet assholes, he said Maddie didn't need protecting. When she said last night that she worried about the effect of her new fame whore lifestyle on the kids, he said they'd get used to it. Rayna and Luke are, at their cores, very different kinds of parents and very different kinds of stars, and it looks like we're headed for a confrontation about that. But right now, Rayna is buying into Luke's approach in order to get her clean slate and achieve success that she doesn't actually need. Do I blame him for that? Nope. He's a jackass, but he isn't lying or manipulating. He's just being his normal jackassy, shalllow self. It's Rayna who is changing who she is for the worse. I blame her entirely.

• Love 7

I think it's fairly obvious that Luke is the influence that's nudging Rayna in the fame whore direction. If she were having these conversations with Deacon, or even Teddy probably, she'd get different advice. Luke is a face with no soul. He cares about money, fame, etc. and even though he's not a terrible parent, he is uninterested in any emotional issues his kids may have as a result of his career choices. He tries to buy them happiness, hence his comment to Colt about the $1,500 headphones. Rayna was never like that until she got involved with Luke. She was struggling with her new place in the country music scene and how to navigate that, but when she spoke to Deacon about it, he told her she could do it however she wanted: leave when you like, come back when you like, you're not an overnight sensation. When she sat there looking at her face and feeling old in the pilot, Teddy made a comment about divorcing her if she got a facelift. When Maddie's world fell apart because of the video, Deacon, Teddy, and Rayna went on TV to try to fix it for her even though the three of them could barely stand to be in the same room together. Rayna has always been painted as a devoted, loving, concientious parent whose primary focus was protecting her children and being there for them, likely because she lost her own mother so young. Luke has a different approach. When she mentioned wanting to protect Maddie from Twitter and internet assholes, he said Maddie didn't need protecting. When she said last night that she worried about the effect of her new fame whore lifestyle on the kids, he said they'd get used to it. Rayna and Luke are, at their cores, very different kinds of parents and very different kinds of stars, and it looks like we're headed for a confrontation about that. But right now, Rayna is buying into Luke's approach in order to get her clean slate and achieve success that she doesn't actually need. Do I blame him for that? Nope. He's a jackass, but he isn't lying or manipulating. He's just being his normal jackassy, shalllow self. It's Rayna who is changing who she is for the worse. I blame her entirely.

All of this.

And while Luke is not forcing her to change, she is indeed changing for the worst. I was cracking up when she was telling Maddie to be the best possible version of herself, because the irony of it is glaring-- Rayna is the worst possible version of herself right now.

Someone above mentioned Deacon bringing out the worst in Rayna, and I couldn't disagree more. Are they tumultuous? Yes. Do they fight? Yes. But when he is sober (which has now been for over half of their relationship) I see it more as an honest partnership. He brings out the best in her and because of that she is able to turn around and make sound decisions that enrich the lives around her instead of making self serving decisions that crumble everything to the ground.

• Love 3
Daphne finally gets more than one line and they turn her into a entitled brat in training? That blows.

She's learned from Maddie that you get attention when you act out.  And Daphne is sorely in need of attention.  I wasn't at all surprised that she's acting out.

• Love 6
Someone above mentioned Deacon bringing out the worst in Rayna, and I couldn't disagree more. Are they tumultuous? Yes. Do they fight? Yes. But when he is sober (which has now been for over half of their relationship) I see it more as an honest partnership. He brings out the best in her and because of that she is able to turn around and make sound decisions that enrich the lives around her instead of making self serving decisions that crumble everything to the ground.

Deacon absolutely brings out the best in her, both personally and musically. He's also the only one in her life who gives her good advice. (Maybe Sadie will do that too; I don't know yet.) Deacon and Rayna are on exactly the same page when it comes to what they think is important: in life, in music, with the kids, whatever. And they come at everything (or used to) as equals. That's why they're so well suited for each other. Rayna and Teddy are also on a similar page when it comes to those things. Rayna and Luke, though, come from totally different perspectives, and the really disappointing thing about Rayna right now is that she's allowed herself to be completely blinded by Luke's approach. It's weak and embarrassing and kind of pathetic, and there's no equality in the relationship. Rayna is Luke's shadow in many ways, emulating his behavior.

I was cracking up when she was telling Maddie to be the best possible version of herself, because the irony of it is glaring-- Rayna is the worst possible version of herself right now.

Everything Rayna says that sounds empowered rings false for me right now because she's so completely lost who she is. I felt the same way about her girl-power speech to Sadie last week. Rayna has not even a baby toe to stand on when it comes to giving advice about being who you are or taking control of your life/career or being your best self or any of it. Connie Britton does that kind of speech extremely well and it's what she's best  known for, but she's known for that because it usually fits the characters she plays and (seemingly) her own personality. Right now, though, it's completely at odds with the character she's playing, so every time it happens these days, I cringe. I feel like they're trying for a bizarre blend of what we love about Connie Britton and self-absorption/no self-awareness, but those two things don't go together at all, so I just feel like Rayna's doing nothing but lying all the time: to herself, her kids, Luke, Deacon, Teddy, Sadie, whoever.

Edited by madam magpie

The "Magical Negro" or as I prefer to call him, "the homeless guy", was played by Mykelti Williams AKA Bubba from Forrest Gump and Boomtown.  I am a big fan of his work.  I think he is a highly underrated actor.

For the first time since Season One, I actually enjoyed the show.  I found the story lines interesting (even though some didn't ring true) and all the actors seemed to have brought their A-game.   Well done!

Williamson was also Ellstin Limehouse on Justified. He was great.

• Love 5

She's learned from Maddie that you get attention when you act out.  And Daphne is sorely in need of attention.  I wasn't at all surprised that she's acting out.

Given how much family bandwidth has gone to Maddie and her daddy drama, I'm surprised Daphne hasn't started acting out against everybody including and especially Maddie. I'm hoping the show addresses that eventually.

• Love 5

I think Jeff's plan is more like to find a way to blackmail Teddy into letting him sign the girls. As a poster said above, I'm pretty sure the new woman Teddy's new 'BFF' has set him up with is a professional.

I think it's a Plan A/Plan B situation. Plan A is to try to cajole Teddy into letting the girls have a record contract to be the cool parent. When that inevitably fails, because Teddy understands the vast difference between letting Daphne get her ears pierced and signing the girls to a record contract without consulting Rayna first, Plan B is to blackmail him with the prostitute.

• Love 1

Avery got Juliette pregnant (unplanned), and Juliette hid from Avery for a long time who the father is.

Juliette and Avery's situation is in no way comparable to Rayna and Deacon or Gunnar and his ex. Juliette isn't even showing yet and she's only known she's pregnant for what, maybe a month now? It took her a few tries to tell him, and she ultimately told him very badly, because pretty much every time she saw him since she found out she was pregnant, he was drunk and yelling at her. She considered not telling him and just giving the baby up for adoption, but she didn't end up doing that. Having a hard time telling the father that she's pregnant isn't even remotely the same situation as hiding a child or lying about it's paternity for a decade or more.

That said, I agree that it's lazy storytelling at this point. I hated the convenient timing of Gunnar and Avery realizing they might be dads at the same time. I'm holding out hope that the kid might turn out not to be Gunnar's after all.

• Love 3

Why is Rayna on tour so much? She increased her concert dates and appearances. The reason why she did that is because after 1 week her new album was no longer #1. According to Rayna, all her albums go platinum. Now, I forget. Was this her last album that she owed Edgehill or her first album for her new record company? Either way, Rayna is on tour because she must be #1. But not all the country singers can be #1. They still make a living. Rayna's priority is her career, and not her daughters. Which is fine. But don't pretend otherwise and blame other people.

I agree that this is a situation of Rayna's own making, but the bottom line is that Highway 65 has three artists, only one of whom has an album out on her label. If Rayna wasn't determined to make it a success she wouldn't be out on tour so aggressively. But at the moment her success is Highway 65's success, as she sees it. When Juliette and Sadie can record and tour that will take some of the burden off, or when Rayna wins a CMA or a Grammy and Highway 65 seems more established, then maybe she'll take a breath. But yeah, in the meantime she's going to miss things. I think it's human of her to be upset about it, even if it does seem hypocritical. I don't mind hypocrisy much because it's human.

Rayna only knows how to define her career based on what it was back in the day, so she expects to do the platinum thing. She really needs to examine if that's the career she really wants or needs at this point in her life. When Highway 65 is up and running, will she take a step back and do what Martina McBride has done, with the smaller shows and devoted following? I think it would be interesting to see her have that epiphany and show how that would work. But the spanner in this works: LUKE.THE.BRAND.

The level of attention she and her family are getting from the press has been exponentially increased by this engagement from hell. I think her meltdown at Teddy was symptomatic of a larger issue - she's getting into this public arena where she has less and less control over her life, and she doesn't want to admit to herself that she doesn't want it (Luke). She wants to be supermom and country star and record executive all at 110%, and this having it all dream is just not possible. She is spread too thin, and the cracks are starting to show.

I'm sure she's missed other moments with the girls, being on the road, but she just saw firsthand how her absence is negatively affecting them at this age, and she doesn't like it. Not enough to curtail the tour or the wedding (yet) but I think she's getting there. And if it takes a revelation about what she wants out of her career and life and not that she's gotta be with Deacon to get her away from Luke, I think that will be more healthy and more interesting to watch. Hopefully.

Random thoughts:

• I don't know what the hell they're doing with Zoe. I thought they were gently Sandman Sims-ing her off the show but when she jumped in during Juliette's concert, I was like, WTF? Not ANOTHER Eve Harrington subplot??! Give me strength.
  • Why does Teddy have to be portrayed as a romantic loser? Please I hope that chick Jeff introduced him to isn't a prostitute, that would be such a dire turn for this show.
  • Mute: Deacon/Pam; Gunnar/Kylie; Will/His Trainer (Will has the same tortured discussion with all his jump-offs); Gunnar/Zoe
  • And again, no new music! And Scarlett's little scrap of emo-dirge doesn't count.
Edited by rubyred
  • Love 5

All this talk about Juliette reminds me of the moment I laughed the hardest during the show: it was when Noah told Juliette that she was barely showing. Hayden has been doing nothing but showing for this whole season, especially in her face. Not a complaint. She looks adorable but she also looks REALLY pregnant from every possible angle. When she climbed up on top of Noah I actually winced on his behalf because I wondered how he would work around her belly. Sorry but the last season of Scandal completely used up all of my ability to overlook an onscreen pregnancy.

• Love 2
Random thoughts:

• I don't know what the hell they're doing with Zoe. I thought they were gently Sandman Sims-ing her off the show but when she jumped in during Juliette's concert, I was like, WTF? Not ANOTHER Eve Harrington subplot??! Give me strength.
  • Why does Teddy have to be portrayed as a romantic loser? Please I hope that chick Jeff introduced him to isn't a prostitute, that would be such a dire turn for this show.
  • Mute: Deacon/Pam; Gunnar/Kylie; Will/His Trainer (Will has the same tortured discussion with all his jump-offs); Gunnar/Zoe
  • And again, no new music! And Scarlett's little scrap of emo-dirge doesn't count.

Love these random thoughts!

Let me add that I am not looking forward to "babby daddy" discussions between Avery and Gunnar.

The portrayal of Teddy has annoyed me from Day One. When the only compliment the girlfriend/call girl/whatever can come up with is "nice shirt", you know there are serious issues with this character.

• Love 3

All this talk about Juliette reminds me of the moment I laughed the hardest during the show: it was when Noah told Juliette that she was barely showing. Hayden has been doing nothing but showing for this whole season, especially in her face. Not a complaint. She looks adorable but she also looks REALLY pregnant from every possible angle. When she climbed up on top of Noah I actually winced on his behalf because I wondered how he would work around her belly. Sorry but the last season of Scandal completely used up all of my ability to overlook an onscreen pregnancy.

Mistresses did that for me. She does look really pregnant but Noah is a dove for saying otherwise.

Wrt Rayna, I think she has every right to tour and whatnot, I don't think she's being a famewhore. Men do this shit all the time and don't get reamed for it. My only issue is that it's her choice and no one forced it on her so with that in mind she musn't go whining about it. Stiff upper lip and all that. You chose this Rayna, no one else, if you don't like your choice then unchoose it just don't whine about it.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1

I like Chaley Rose's voice a lot. She can stay, as far as I'm concerned. Except that Juliette looked like she was going to kick her in the shins as soon as she regains consciousness.

I'm seriously hoping that Jeff Whoredom and Layla I-Don't-Care-What-Her-Name-Is poison each other like the snakes they are; Jeff's awful, but one-note and boring, and Oliver Hudson isn't nearly as charming as he thinks. I think the writers want to have it too many different ways with Layla: she's needy, she's evil, she's self-destructive, she's naive, she's misunderstood -- the only thing she's not is interesting. And frankly, either the character as written or the actress seems kind of dim.

• Love 4

I think the writers want to have it too many different ways with Layla: she's needy, she's evil, she's self-destructive, she's naive, she's misunderstood -- the only thing she's not is interesting. And frankly, either the character as written or the actress seems kind of dim.

I blame the writing. No actor could make a character work when the writing for that character changes so much and so rapidly. Meryl Streep couldn't make sense of these wild swings.

• Love 3
If Teddy or Deacon were ignoring their kids' needs because they wanted fame and fortune they didn't need, I'd be just as upset with them. But they aren't. Rayna is. (And so is Luke; I have no problem slamming him too.) Rayna's not some tortured, suffering working mother who needs support or even someone who's trying desperately to build a career and balance parenthood; she's a superstar with endless resources who is choosing a lifestyle that is

Deacon is not the primary caregiver of a child and never has been and Teddy was able to be a mostly stay at home dad because his wife worked and made the money. I also don't agree that only women who need the money should be able to work. Teddy doesn't need the money, why does he work? Both men and women should have the right to a career.

What exactly is Rayna doing that is so bad? She clearly loves her kids, they are taken care of. All teenagers go through all kids of angst and worry, even those whose moms stay home while the dad works. Rayna can't control what the media does, she is helping Maddie the best way she can.

And as much as I dislike Luke, people who are blending families are going to want them to spend time together. Again, I don't see anything terrible going on. Teddy has always spent more time with the girls, Rayna has always worked. But we do see her spending time with girls, talking to them on Skype etc. Maybe the girls would like her home 24/7, but maybe they wouldn't have a cushy life if she didn't work. 

Deacon has spent little time with Maddie so far, and we have no way of knowing if he would have given up his career to be a full time stay at home dad. It's more likely that his episodes of drinking would have required other caregivers altogether, and I like Deacon.

I do wonder how the Mayor of Nashville has so much time on his hands and how he is so easily manipulated by a man who is clearly a bad guy. And yeah, the new chick is a hooker for sure.

• Love 6

Is there any male character who's known about his child from the start? And furthermore, were the writers that hard-pressed for a story for Gunnar? There's still tons of potential in his writing relationship with Scarlett; we don't need a mystery moppet to help him find his voice.

The less said about Scarlett and her new inspiration, the better. Insulting all around.

I disliked this episode. I thought it was riddled with cliches. Scarlett's scenes with the homeless man were so bad. I'd like to know who came up with that idea and how many people agreed it was a good one. I think what bothered me most was how contrived it seemed. Each time Scarlett would start to sing, the homeless man would start shouting about pizza. And then total silence. I was also confused why the woman keeps barging in on Scarlett while she's working. You don't do that to an artist while she's working.

Also terrible? This parenthood story with Gunnar. The poor character just gets a new story line every three episodes since the show started. None of them are ever fleshed out. I agree there should be more going on with his writing career/collaborations with Scarlett. That, coupled with Zoe's jealousy over his feelings for Scarlett, is enough to work with. Oh, and his friendship with Will, who is spiraling out of control and needs a friend.

I thought Rayna's reaction to the ear-piercing and hair-dying was contrived. It always works when a parent overhears their baby call the nanny "mommy", but Maddie and Daphne aren't babies. A cliched accident-while-drinking would have felt more believable as the thing that makes Rayna feel most disconnected from the kids (but they did that already in season 1 or 2 with Maddie at an impromptu Juliette concert, right?)

Luke is still creepy, watching Deacon and Pam walk away while he stands at the bar. Why would that bother him? At this point, it's not about Rayna. He just doesn't want to see Deacon happy. And that makes him uglier.

Pam didn't bother me this episode. For some reason, I really liked when her sister called her and she walked away to take the call. There was something nice about that scene.

Hated everything with Layla, Jeff and Will. The show had a chance to write an interesting, original story about a young country singer in the closet, but has resorted to this. Disappointing. I remember how excited I was when Will tried to kiss Gunnar - I was looking forward to their friendship as Will struggled with his sexuality as he became more famous. I never expected him to get married.

I like Zoe, but I didn't like that bit at the end. The writers paint all of their characters into corners How is she getting out of this one?

• Love 2

His drinking aside, I think in his sober head space Deacon would want to provide for his family, but not to the extent that it would be realistic for him to go months without seeing them.

I hate to keep bringing them up, but they're such a fantastic parallel to how this story could go-- John and Martina McBride. He works plenty, is successful, and has multiple projects, but they keep him home most of the time. And when he or Martina do go out on the road, it is never for more than a couple of weeks at a time.

Deacon has never and will never strike me as the type who would leave his children for months and then buy them off with expensive headphones.

• Love 1

I've been thinking about this Jeff storyline and if it truly is going the way it seems to be, this show is doomed. Why does Jeff have to be a villain? Why can't he just be a business rival? Because setting up heroes vs. villains is the oldest soap trope in the book. It's also pointless narratively, because who gives a flying fuck why Jeff has a problem with women? He clearly does otherwise he wouldn't be recasting a business setback into an opportunity for REVENGE on RAYNA. Why isn't he out doing his real job, finding new artists? He's putting all this time and effort into honeytrapping Teddy- I would love Mario Van Peebles to come back, hear about this trifling business, slap Jeff upside the head and ask him if he's simple.

But more to the point, what does this have to do with what this show is purportedly about? Do they expect us to believe that music executives regularly go around spending company resources on elaborate revenge plots on artists they claim they don't want anyway? Seriously, that's what you want to depict about Nashville?This storyline is a black hole of suckage that is doing no one any favors.

Secondly, Sadsack Teddy. Please. Eric Close has always been a little more cleancut than my usual type, but in every last damn thing I've seen him in he has ALWAYS been able to get it. He's the mayor, he doesn't need some sleazy record exec to help him find women. Why do they only equate Teddy having balls with him committing involuntary manslaughter?

Thirdly, Will. I agree with slade3, this story had so much potential and it has just been squandered on dumb melodrama centered around how Will can't handle reality but apparently can handle cruising in a park -- until he can't. But sadly I don't think this show has the balls (ha) to do this story justice. It's like they don't have a precedent for becoming a successful country artist when you're gay, so they don't know how to write it. Sad trombone for Will, and too bad for Chris Carmack, who I think could handle it (to my surprise).

politichick: Teddy was a fulltime dad when the show started. He was no longer working at that bank or whatever (CumberlandDealCumberlandDealCumberlandDeal) and was at home full time while Rayna was on tour.

• Love 4

I like Derek better than Avery.  He seems nice so far.

I've always found Derek to be an asexual Ken doll.  Totally bland white bread.

Yay, Daphne finally gets a few scenes! I loved when she said, "Actually, I prefer chocolate milk." The first words of a future diva?

And if she becomes a diva, who could blame her?  It sure works for Maddie - she's got three parents kissing her ass.  It broke my heart a little to hear her begging for time with her mom.  She never asks for anything.

I get tired of Maddie's weekly dour scowl, and I'm over her drama.  BUT, I felt for her and her insecurity with her looks.  I wonder if that's going to prompt her into a sexual relationship with her soon to be step-brother.  That's a little cliché for me.  How about a girl who isn't drop dead gorgeous, yet still confident in herself, show?

Why wasn't Rayna's mom there for her?  She couldn't really help her husband killing her, so I'm assuming she was a drunk or maybe a disinterested mother.

They're going to have to work hard to get me to believe that Teddy would go behind Rayna's back and sign the girls with Jeff.  I feel Jeff is working on a blackmail scheme by setting him up with the over-eager woman.  I just feel another "Teddy is the bad guy" story coming, and it's already getting on my nerves.  The guy is weak, but he's always been a steady influence in his daughters' lives.

I always like Deacon when he's in good guy mode, trying to help a friend.

• Love 4
I like Zoe, but I didn't like that bit at the end. The writers paint all of their characters into corners How is she getting out of this one?

The way things go on this show, Jeff will sign her to Edgehill and she'll be touring with Luke Wheeler, asap.

• Love 1

Deacon was never given the chance to stay at home and help raise Maddie. I agree with Airware he doesn't strike me either as someone who would leave his child for months because of his own memories of how his childhood was.

I wanted to go back and review last nights episode but I couldn't. Just want to know why LW made that sarcastic remark to Pam about who she hangs out with (Deacon) and why does that bother him. It gets my goat that he just doesn't want to see Deacon in anyway happy and I for one can't wait for that put my face on anything that makes me money be gone and make sure he takes his son with him. One question, Why haven't we met Sage yet? Is she so out there, such a spoiled child that LW is afraid to introduce her to Rayna and the girls. LW constantly makes excuses for her on why she can't meet them and join in their family get togethers. Is she older then her brother or younger???

The one thing I love most about Deacon is he is always ready to help someone that needs help like Will. Few words by Deacon from his conversation with Will said all Will needed to feel that he can count on Deacon if needed. Love Deacon's quick wit to Will for him to go to LW's makeup artist to fix those bruses left LW a little speechless.

Deacon is not the primary caregiver of a child and never has been and Teddy was able to be a mostly stay at home dad because his wife worked and made the money. I also don't agree that only women who need the money should be able to work. Teddy doesn't need the money, why does he work? Both men and women should have the right to a career.

It's a matter of what's most important to the individual. For me, my children would be most important. That means I would want to be the one who takes them to get their ears pierced or talks to them when they're falling apart because they have multiple fathers or who gives them their first guitar or who shows up at school functions or even who has dinner with them at night. It's got nothing to do with feminism or rights; that's what matters to me. Until recently, that's also what mattered to Rayna, and that's why she's struggling now. If Rayna wanted to be the type of parent who let these things happen without her, so be it. I would judge her as shallow and not that great a parent like I do Luke, but she can be whoever she wants. Because that's clearly not what she wants and not the kind of parent she's ever been before, I judge her also for having no spine and getting wrapped up in the desire for more and more and more fame and money.

I hate to keep bringing them up, but they're such a fantastic parallel to how this story could go-- John and Martina McBride. He works plenty, is successful, and has multiple projects, but they keep him home most of the time. And when he or Martina do go out on the road, it is never for more than a couple of weeks at a time.

That's exactly right. And in season one, this is what Rayna did. She went on tour for a bit, came home for a bit, went on tour, came home, etc. And then when the shit hit the fan with Maddie and Deacon, she cancelled her tour with Juliette to stay home with the kids even though it was costing her a bunch of money and exposure. The issue is that Rayna is becoming a fame whore, not that she always was one. And that's also why she's having so much trouble reconciling the ethics of it. What she's doing contradicts what she thinks is right and who she wants to be. For now, though, she keeps doing it anyway. I judge that as well, mainly becuase it's hurting people who have no control over their lives.

How about a girl who isn't drop dead gorgeous, yet still confident in herself, show?

Except the problem is, of course, that Lennon Stella is a stunning girl. I like the idea of even a pretty girl being insecure about her looks because that's a huge thing that all teenage girls go through. I really liked that scene with Maddie and Rayna and can only imagine how awful it would be to be fifteen years old and have your looks, hair, makeup, life, etc. judged on a national stage. It's really awful that we do that as a culture, and I absolutely believe Maddie would have a hard time with that.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 2

Nope. She did at first, but it was established in episode 2 that her father's estate had been settled and she no longer needed the money, as she had inherited his.

That's why Luke said between her dad's money and marrying him she could sit around all day being "Mrs. Luke Wheeler" if she wanted.

And the success of the label is not contingent upon her-- she should really spend more time trying to find other artists rather than focusing on herself.

I was always under the impression H65 was supposed to be a refuge for under serviced artists without a voice, which she is in a great position to do.

I didn't realize she was trying to make it Edgehill's equal in every way right out of the gate.

Ah.  I must have missed that inheritance issue.  Yeah, none of this makes sense, then.  Because that is what Highway 65 was supposed to be, and while it was her label, she was going to continue putting out her albums on Edgehill until the end of her contract.  But then when she became an under serviced artist herself, she had to buy out her contract and start a label at the same time.

My favorite coffee shop in Nashville is Edgehill Cafe, so since this so premiered, it cracks me up every time I go in there. 

I would have preferred that the boy be Jason's rather than Gunnar's.

I've been to many, many concerts where the star left the stage and let the backup singers complete the song.  Usually it was because the star needed to change costumes or some stage trick needed to be set up, but no one rioted.  If Zoey finished the entire show and no one cared, that would be one thing.  But one song?  Nah.  It happens.

This. And I've been to concerts where a backup singer got to shine, as a reward for all the hard work and probably a chance for the main performer to rest. An audience is not going to riot if one song is finished by a backup singer, and we didn't see what happened after that song. I thought Zoe was smart to jump in, because what else were they going to do? Suddenly end the song? That would stick out like a sore thumb and get people angry and gossiping. Her finishing the song gives the tour a little bit of time to come up with a plan and story. Maybe they could do an intermission and Juliette would recover (though it's probably medically inadvisable to go back out), maybe the concert had been long enough that they could end it there or have Juliette manage to do one more gentle song. Or maybe they'd have to cancel and blame technical difficulties or exhaustion (she is filming a movie at the same time, so it's believable) and provide refunds or honor the tickets for a future date. All of those things would be better PR-wise than abruptly ending a song in the middle, in my opinion.

• Love 3

Man, I just saw Mykelti Williamson on Scorpion this Monday.  He's always awesome, but seriously?  He's basically Scarlett's "Magical Negro"?  Wow, I know this show loves it's cliches, but even for them, this is a lot to take in.  Only thing close to matching it?  Gunnar having a son he never knew about.  Wow, can't believe they are going there.  

I'm still not sure if I will every buy Ted suddenly getting concern over being the "cool dad", and I still find it impossible to believe he will ever get to the point to agreeing to sign Maddie/Daphine to Edgehill (unless Jeff does bribe him), but I can buy it a better better now, thanks to Rayna.  Rayna's really going to have to accept that, if she keeps touring like this, she is going to miss out on certain events.  That's the sacrifice she will have to make, and she needs to either accept it and get over it, or change things.  What she shouldn't do is call Ted and bitch him out over it.  I'm no fan of Ted, but at this point, he's trying to hold things together with all the turmoil and craziness "Ruke" is causing, so maybe chill, Rayna.  Or you might find yourself having all three of them against you.

Avery finds out the truth, and acts like a crazy person.  Glad Glenn told him to scram.  Both he and Juliette need to both get it together, because they've become ugly now.  I really hope they are going that direction, and Avery's not actually going to "fight" her for the child.  Both have done horrible things, and they need to clear the air (although, Juliette is at least trying, so I'm putting more blame on Avery over this), if they ever want a healthy life; either separated or together.

Will is just being an idiot.  Honestly, I think he would be better off being logical about his relationships.  Just telling his boyfriends "I'm sorry, but a lot of my fanbase might turn on me, if they know I'm gay, so I have to keep it quiet."  Maybe that's cowardly on some levels, but at least it won't make him come off shady, heartless, or like a dick, which is what his current song and dance, is making him look like.  Oh, and his current approach to casual sex will doom him.  If he doesn't get beat up again, he could get arrested, or recognized.

I'm going to wait and see on Zoe.  I do think jumping end was the best way to safe things, but if she suddenly become a massive sensation and the next big thing, I'm going to role my eyes.  And, seriously: Juliette is a diva, but going into her dressing room and going through her clothes, is freaking unprofessional.  I'm not saying Zoe should worship at Juliette's feet, but she really doesn't treat her with respect, which just seems odd to me.

Jeff and Layla continue to be entertaining, if I just treat them like the one-dimensional characters they are.  They are just so unrealistic, but I just love their feud.  Laughed both at Layla calling Jeff out on his sexist bullshit, and Jeff basically saying she an emotionless robot, who couldn't write a good song, if her life depended on it.  They are made for each other!  Now, there is a pair I would find hilarious, if they randomly hooked-up.

I agree that Will being gay would be a major, career-skidding deal today.  But what's retro is the presentation of Will's being gay as a sex-based compulsion that drives him to cruise parks and that he has no emotional attachments to any of these men he's gotten involved with (which I'm starting to suspect is why they backed off the story with Brent) with every trope attached - attempted suicide, gay bashing, etc.  What's next, an HIV scare?

HIV is sooo last year, it'll be ebola.

• Love 2

Redheadzombie - You said Jeff is working on a blackmail scheme isn't that what Lamar did to Teddy, held the Cumberland Deal over his head until he agreed to run for Mayor without discussing it with Rayna first. You would think Teddy would have learned when someone is complementing you and you really don't know them very well and you know that Rayna hates Jeff, there is something not right behind the bull. By the way the shirt wasn't that great and the collar needed to be straighten.

• Love 1