Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Road Happy

Cranberry

I saw Clare Bowen in the airport last year and her hair was under way more control in real life than it is on the show.  When I saw Chaley Rose earlier this year, her hair was exactly the same in person as it is on the show.

he honestly seems to be getting dumber the more famous he gets.

Not that unusual if the celebrity blogs I read are to be trusted (and of course, they are...).

One about Juliette that seems inconsistent is this. Most of the time she is brazen, the classic girl with "no shame in her game." Then once in a while, for no reason I can think of, she gets all hidy and ashamed of herself of something. This is one girl who, it seems, owns her shit. Then, inexplicably, she doesn't. I don't know if anybody else understands this?

In my opinion, it's all false bravado.  She puts on the face of "I can do whatever I want!" to convince her fans, and a little bit herself, that it's true.  But really, she has low self-esteem, so sense of self-worth, and that's why 1) she seeks fame so hard, and 2) the few people she does let in can destroy her so easily.  She seemingly "owns her shit" only when it is another brick in the wall she's put up to protect herself.  I think the show has done a pretty good job of showing this aspect of her; in fact, I think she's been one of the more consistent characters this show has portrayed.  Her, and Deacon.  The rest of them are pretty much a mess. 

• Love 5

Turtle, I never thought til now but Juliette I think may be one of those people who poison their relationships almost on purpose, so when they crash down it happens in a way they don't feel personally rejected. I had never put that together before. Thanks!

And I agree she and Deacon are the two most consistent characters on the show. Your words bring me back to the pilot, when Juliette snubbed Rayna with such gusto and then seemed proud of herself. There's a lot of damaged people who do that kind of thing. It's like "I'll ruin this relationship and then I can't be hurt if you do it to me." And those raw moments when Juliette, always in tears, tells those close to her that she is not a good person.

Even more reason to root for her! Though I expect as long as she exists,  no matter how well things are going, Juliette Barnes will never be more than two scenes away from total misery

Edited by Midru
  • Love 4

Not that unusual if the celebrity blogs I read are to be trusted (and of course, they are...).

In my opinion, it's all false bravado.  She puts on the face of "I can do whatever I want!" to convince her fans, and a little bit herself, that it's true.  But really, she has low self-esteem, so sense of self-worth, and that's why 1) she seeks fame so hard, and 2) the few people she does let in can destroy her so easily.  She seemingly "owns her shit" only when it is another brick in the wall she's put up to protect herself.  I think the show has done a pretty good job of showing this aspect of her; in fact, I think she's been one of the more consistent characters this show has portrayed.  Her, and Deacon.  The rest of them are pretty much a mess.

Juliette said in the press conference for the Patsy Kline movie that "Juliette Barnes" is a character she created and thinks she plays rather well.

It is so true about the low self-esteem. Unfortunately, that's why she thinks she needs Avery. But as we can see, he is not good at handling set-downs or disappointments.

Wow.Avery has fallen off the crazy tree and hit every damn branch on the way down. His reaction, to Juliette sleeping with someone she hates because she hates herself and felt humiliated at trying to seduce a boyfriend who was far more interested in writing songs with Scarlett and sleeping by her hospital bedside, has been waaaaay over the top. If I were Juliette I wouldn't have slept with Jeff that's for damn sure but I would have broken up with Avery after he was spouting sweet nothings to Scarlett and that is an absolute.

Now he's acting like a veritable psychopath getting angry at her for not telling him, uh yeah maybe if you stopping calling her a whoring piece of nothing for five seconds she could have squeezed the words out, you big hunk of stupid.

Avery knows the kind of childhood she had and he knows she doesn't let anyone in, for him to be stomping around treating her like a whore is unconscionable to me. She cheated with someone she HATED. She's suffering more than he is, for god's sakes man, pull your dumb self together, and then he has the nerve to go banging and screaming on her trailer door? He reminds me of wife-beating trailer trash. How ironic. I don't want him anywhere near my Juliette. Back the fuck up Avery, back the fuck up.

I agree with this so much.  What they did to Avery this season has retroactively ruined season two for me.  I pre-ordered the DVDs from the library last summer and they were delivered last week.  I can't even bring myself to watch them now, because Avery and Juliette were the best part of it for me last season, and now it all just seems like an empty lie. 

• Love 1

Observations:

Rayna's downward spiral continues. Her inviting the girls to the set of her & Luke's TV commercial only to end up neglecting them most of the time is the latest example. Daphne was right to be pissed at Rayna and to tell her so. No fit parent makes promises to their kid(s) that they can't keep if they can help it and Rayna can. She and/or Luke could have made TPTB wait on set for another 5 minutes for Daphne's sake. It's not like Rayna and Luke can't afford to cover the cost. Even when Rayna tries to make things right with the girls, she fails on some level, such as when she told Daphne that she can't spend as much time with her and Maddie as she would like, which is her own fault. She chose her career, this tour and Luke over them and there are repercussions. Rayna's advice to Maddie about dealing with the haters by being "the best part of [herself]" was hypocritical since she hasn't been at her best lately. Ever since Rayna got serious with Luke, she has changed for the worse. Rayna's best self at least tried to put the girls first much harder than she has been since Luke came along. Rayna was wrong to put Teddy on blast for spending time with the girls. As a woman, I know that the first time a girl gets her hair done or her ears pierced are major milestones and Rayna's missing them is her own fault, not Teddy's.

As useless as I've found Teddy in the past, at least he's stepping up for the girls. When Teddy spends money on Maddie and Daphne, it's because he wants to make them happy, not bribe them with expensive gifts because he wants them to behave, like Luke did with his son Colt re those $1500 headphones. To paraphrase Bill Cosby, "No teenage boy should have $1500 headphones unless he's onstage with his four siblings." However, when it comes to Jeff, Teddy's being played big-time and he doesn't even know it. Jeff's using the girls to get back at Rayna because she outsmarted him and hurt his "widdle feewings" in the process is immature and creepy. ITA that the chick who flirted with Teddy at the party is a hooker. Since Jeff wants to exploit Maddie and Daphne because he's pissed at Rayna, his hiring a pro to try and con Teddy (no pun intended) is not only not suprising, it's downright disgusting. If Jeff hired the hooker to drug Teddy, put him in a compromising position, take pictures/made a video and used it to blackmail Teddy into signing the girls to Edgehill, that wouldn't surprise me, either. Maddie and Daphne have nothing to do with Highway 65 and Jeff's using them against Rayna is beneath contempt, just like Jeff himself. I'm among those who wish that the Mario Van Peebles' character from two episodes ago would return and put Jeff in check once and for all. He's the only newbie from this season worth keeping, as far as I'm concerned.

Given the scam that he's trying to pull with Rayna, Jeff's accusing Layla of not having feelings reeks of hypocrisy. This from the same asshole who's willing to exploit children to get what he wants. Speaking of Layla, I'm still not giving a fuck about her and her accidentally cutting herself won't make me start. Layla chose to marry Will to prove something to her parents, not out of love, which is one of the many reasons why feeling sorry for her is not an option and never will be. Will, Will, Will. WTF were you thinking!? Treating Tony-another great guy, who, like Brent, made the mistake of caring about you- like shit was bad enough, but trolling for a little strange in the park at night and getting mugged/ gay-bashed for it and trying to hide it shows that you're not just stuck on stupid; you're marooned there. Deacon showed way more sense and sensitivity to you than you deserve at this point.

Re Zoe, she shouldn't have been in Juliette's dressing room without her permission and IMO she definitely shouldn't have taken her place on Juliette's performance without it, either. If Zoe had cleared it with Juliette first, Juliette probably wouldn't have given her the stink-eye before she passed out.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 2

Where is Sage and how can we get her to show up in the next episode. Would love to see her dressed in Gothic Style, hope she is Maddie's age talk about Rayna flipping out that would make my day.

That's why we love Deacon always looking out for the less famous artists and always willing to help any way he can. He was concerned with Wills bruses and the only one who advised him to maybe see a doctor in case of a broken rib. LW was only concerned that he couldn't go out on stage looking like that didn't even aski if he's okay. Can't wait for LW to get what we all what him to get and that's not be in anymore episodes.

More observations:

Re Juliette/Avery/Noah, Juliette shouldn't have texted the news of the pregnancy to Avery because she should've known that Avery would lose his shit, which he did. Kudos to Glenn for putting Avery on blast. While the way Avery learned the truth from Juliette sucks, so does Avery these days. Between Avery's benders, his bar fights and his putdowns, especially of Gunnar, Scarlett and Juliette, no wonder Juliette didn't want to tell him face-to-face. It's also no wonder that Juliette's turning to her co-star Noah for help. Besides Glenn, Noah is the only man who knows Juliette is pregnant and isn't judging her. While that would usually impress me, since Noah's being played by Derek Hough, who works my last nerve, my verdict: no. Just no. It's bad enough that I have to tolerate Derek Hough on Dancing With the Stars, but here, too? What's next-Black-ish?

About Gunnar, IMO he's no more Micah's daddy than I am. I've got no problem with Gunnar and Zoe breaking up; it just should be because of something at least a little more original than this. with these writers, that might be way too much to ask, especially with Scarlett and her "magical Negro" plotline, which is one of the worst Hollywood clichés ever. I hope that bum's not Scarlett's new writing partner.

Re Deacon, he not only stepped up for Will, he shut Luke's hissy fit down by telling him that Will's bruises could be covered up with makeup, which Luke himself uses every night. On the romance front, I'm still not trusting Pam. Her being pals with Luke is reason enough to make me suspicious. I agree with those who've said that while Pam seems like a great girl in theory, she's not as cool as she seems to be and Deacon could get hurt because of it.  I still don't trust Sadie, either, for the same reasons. The more Sadie brownnoses Rayna, the phonier she sounds.

• Love 1

It is bad that the only character and story I am interested in is Juliette's. Avery needs to grow the hell up. It is not like he has not done rotten things in the past that people have forgiven him for. I am tired of his whining.

Don't care about Rayna and Luke, can't stand Luke plus those two have no chemistry what so ever. Neither does Deacon and that whoever  she is. Dont know her name, don't care either.

• Love 2

I took Will's visit to the park to be a subconscious way of getting caught. Then the lie could be over. Yes, it would likely ruin his career but underneath it all he is clearly tired of living the lie. 

Rayna can suck it. I mean, first of all, this isn't your first tour. You have been a major country star for decades. Why is this one suddenly so different and she just can't stand to be away from her girls? Also, if that is so then grow up and make some choices woman. For instance, you don't need to do extra television ads for a car. And you being the headliner can work in some 2 and 3-day breaks. She acts like this is all just happening to her and she has no control. Ugh.

I liked watching Zoey sing. I think she has a great voice. Way better than Scarlett. So tired of her sad, awful slow songs. 

• Love 1

It feels a shame because I did love this show once upon a time and now? Now I watch out of loyalty to the cast, I guess. That's happened before in the recent past for me and even then, I ended up cutting the show loose from my viewing schedule because my time's worth more than that, even if it's spent playing Words with Friends instead.

Feeling you, carefree. I've cut down my Must see TV list dramatically and I spend more time reading or watching old clips on youtube of The Marx Bros and Dean Martin roasts.  I do still kind of love this show but in truth Hayden is the ONLY reason for what love I have left. The girl brings it every episode and often leaves me in awe. I never bought into that "glowing" thing that pregnant women supposedly have going but girl is just stunning!

Re Daphne being right in calling Rayna on her shit: perhaps in theory I agree. I am not a parent but I am a daughter and if I had ever told my mother that she or her behavior "sucked" I'd be six feet under.  And to walk away from her after I disrespected her!? Please.

Why oh why can't Avery just forgive Juliette her transgression? Dude , she's just a human being who made a very bad decision for which she can't stop beating herself up, Scarlett forgave you for dumping her and your band mates for your big break. Forgive my girl. 

• Love 2

Scarlett, if you keep the windows open then don't act surprised you hear outside noise. Are they trying to make Bubba Gump into the guy who does the voiceover for the mac and cheese commercial?

Honestly, I wouldn't put it past these writers to have Bubba the Hobo Genius Songwriter tell her "Lawzy, Miss Scarlett, I don' know nothing 'bout writin' no Top 40 songs!"

• Love 3

Where is Sage and how can we get her to show up in the next episode. Would love to see her dressed in Gothic Style

I want to see this too.  Sage needs to be a total Goth and into the heaviest metal bands out there.  Or rap would work too.  Or that the "dance camp" is cover for her going thru rehab or she's pregnant.  

And Avery, grow up you doofus.  You are not a child, deal with your life like an adult.

• Love 1

A couple of things. When Jeff gets Teddy to allow the girls to sign, won't that open a big ol' can o' worms since he isn't Maddie's father? How can either man think such a contract would be binding?

Secondly, a question. There has been a lot of talk about the country music demographic not being very accepting of a gay singer, how would the fans react to Juliette's pregnancy? Would they likewise be shocked, shocked and scandalized by the hussy having a child out of wedlock? Or have fans moved beyond slut shaming?

Honestly, I wouldn't put it past these writers to have Bubba the Hobo Genius Songwriter tell her "Lawzy, Miss Scarlett, I don' know nothing 'bout writin' no Top 40 songs!"

Only to have Scarlett reply, "That's alright. How about you just bust up this chiffarobe then? I'll give you a whole quarter."

• Love 3

Observations after finally watching the episode on-line:

Gunnar doing math isn't nearly as good as Michael Westen doing math and deciding he wasn't the father in season 2 of Burn Notice. I'm still skeptical of the baby mama and not sure if she needs to be here. 

Gunnar is sort of the male Juliette, in terms of a misery scale.

You know who has chemistry on this show: Rayna James and Sadie Stone! Seriously they have more chemistry than Rayna and any of her dudes. They can start dating younger particularly some of Gunnar's women.

My favorite character is Glenn, in this episode. Avery is not behaving well, but I understand his upset about the pregnancy the way he did. Juliette could have had Glenn or Emily help her tell him in person. 

I know a lot of people like Jeff, but why is he so angry at Layla that he won't take the opportunity to try to develop her as a female artist? I know she's not a great person, but she has a decent voice and with a lot of training and development she could become a female artist Edgehill is proud of. Since he's desperate for female artists, he should try her again.

I liked Teddy telling off Rayna. It's good for her to hear it straight. 

Chaley is a miles better singer (Hayden isn't really a singer at all) and has far more stage presence IMO. That said, Juliette is my favourite character but I've always found her stage presence leaving a lot to be desired.

I think Hayden Panettiere has huge presence -- just not on a musical stage. It's an odd conundrum of this show that the two biggest stars (in-story) are portrayed by performers who are the two weakest singers in the cast. Juliette doesn't seems as magnetic as she should on stage, given what the narrative is telling us about the effect she has on an audience. (Scarlett, on the other hand, has the boundless capacity for holding attention usually exhibited by the more spectacular sort of train wreck. She's never onscreen without giving the impression of being a few thready heartbeats away from a full-scale implosion.)

Maybe it's a showing vs. telling problem that's built right into the premise of the show. But Juliette's star power, or Rayna's for that matter, is not totally without basis: Panettiere herself is undeniably charismatic, and is a magnetic actress. We want to root for Juliette even as she acts a fool in an increasing number of ways. Connie Britton is an indifferent singer, but she's an unshakably likeable actress. Do I buy that Rayna's combination of raw talent, restlessness, ambition and an almost utter lack of self-knowledge ever took her to the top of world of hurtin' songs? Only partly. I want to empathize with Rayna, if only for the sake of Tammie Taylor. The writing makes it hard sometimes. A lot, actually.

• Love 1

So that's Scarlett's version of a party song? And they're happy with it? Didn't she supposedly write Crazy Tonight. Whatever.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. So the show and Rayna will only pay attention to Daphne if she's as bratty as Maddy? Real great message and parenting there.

Juliette's texting skills are fantastic. And Luke is totally the #blessed type.

Hey, offended personal trainer dude? You realize that he's married and you're sleeping around with him on the down low. It's not like he tricked you into thinking you were his boyfriend. Get down off your high horse. Also, um, how long have you been hanging out? It's a little soon to jump to love, isn't it?

• Love 1

Poor Will. Though if he's not in love and all he wants is sex can't he... you know... take care of that himself? 

And I have no soul since I laughed when Jeff told Layla that she had no feelings or thoughts or something.

Also, didn't the show kind of confirm that with her pathetic attempt at writing songs last season? The new one they made her record doesn't sound too bad. One thing you can say for her is that she's a good singer. I tend to like the songs they give her.

Scarlett's Magical Negro made me laugh. Oh, Nashville. You're so silly sometimes. Will he get signed to Highway 65? Maybe he'll help Scarlett get over her stage fright. I'm sure in a past life he was also a musician who was traumatized by touring life. Or maybe he's secretly someone from another character's past. They love that.

Right now Derek Hough's character is not giving me secretly evil vibes like Luke. He has more of a "magical perfect boyfriend" feel. Maybe they've decided to reward Juliette for once. 

Layla breaking the mirror was some crazy Black Swan nonsense. Who wrote this episode? It's not good. But it's kind of amazing. 

I get where Rayna would be hurt. Getting your ears pierced can kind of be a right of passage. And Maddie getting highlights isn't awful but I think it was meant to show that she's focusing on outward beauty as being the best possible version of herself (though didn't we just do this with the whole drinking and not fitting in thing?). I'm glad Teddy/the show called Rayna out on lashing out because she was feeling hurt. She made choices and she's going to have make sacrifices because of them.

Is awesome, supportive Deacon coming back? Because that would be so great. Remember season 1 Deacon, you guys?

I hope they'll really give Laura something to do this season. She and Hayden could act circles around the rest of the cast.

Is Zoe about to All About Eve, Juliette? What with the looking at her outfits and learning about her secrets and hanging about her dressing room and covering for her on stage? Don't do it, Nashville. Don't do it.

• Love 2
Is Zoe about to All About Eve Juliette? What with the looking at her outfits and learning about her secrets and hanging about her dressing room and covering for her on stage? Don't do it, Nashville. Don't do it.

Juliette's too short for that gesture, show. (Hee.)

• Love 1