Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

39 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

Thank you both, I knew this would be the right place to ask ❤️.

Just to chime in, I've made major moves with cats and Peaches and Bastet are exactly right - as long as you are bringing along some familiar furniture and they have *you* in the new place, they will be just fine. One of my cats had to move every three months for four years as we had two homes that we rotated between - he loved both places and absolutely hated the 12-1/2 hour drive to get from one to the other (pretty much yelled the whole time the car was moving from inside his very spacious and comfortable carrier).

• Like 6
8 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Does anyone have any tips or advice about moving with a cat? We are planning to move to a different flat (same city) sometime in Autumn and I'm worried that it might be a stressful experience for our cat. She has been living here for the last 9 years and she was only 2 and a half months old when we got her, so I'm not sure how much she remembers from her previous home. Apart from few times when she stayed with my aunt while we've been on holiday, she has always been here (indoors only). I know that I am going to be very emotional when we move, as this has been the only place I've lived in my whole life, but at least I have been a part of the decision process and had time to prepare myself mentally. I started to talk to her about it and I know she can understand me when she wants, but I don't think she understands what moving is right now. I just don't want her to get depressed in the new place.

The previous owners of the new flat had a dog, but they no longer live there and we have repainted everything and only keep minimum of their furniture, so I hope any smells from the dog will be gone by the time we move there. The new flat has a balcony which our old doesn't and one more room, but the rooms are smaller, so the total amount of space is about the same. My room is going to be smaller, so I won't be able to have an extra bed that I have now (long story) which the cat sometimes uses during the day (I don't let her in my bedroom for the night), but I'm planning to get her an armchair at least. And of course, the view from the windows is going to be completely different and she loves to look out, so I don't know how she is going to take that.

Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance!

I would suggest putting something familiar in her carrier (like your worn t-shirt) so the drive to the new spot will be less stressful. The biggest concern with moving a cat is all of the people coming in and out of the new place, the safest spot is usually the bathroom, with a food/water/litter box and a sign "do not open" so she won't be disturbed with all of the commotion. (and she cannot escape!) Once the movers are gone, you can open the door and let her explore safely, and figure out where her new "set up" is (food, box etc). 

I dont think she will be depressed, you are coming, and everything will smell like you!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I moved twice with Echo. The first time was to a smaller place, and she didn't seem to have an issue. The second time was to a larger place than either of the previous two (though still pretty small), and she wandered around a lot - wouldn't settle very long - for about a month. It was longer than I would have expected, but she found her favourite spots and once all the new furniture was purchased and assembled, she did settle in nicely. She was a more laid-back cat, though.

• Like 5

I've had mixed reactions to moving with cats. Some had high anxiety, and others were "what, has something changed?" So long as you carve out time to pay attention to your kit, give her some extra love, she should settle just fine.

As a side note, I would be extra careful with the balcony at first, since she isn't used to such a thing. Perhaps a see-thru barrier in front of the railing at first, until you see how she reacts to it.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

As a side note, I would be extra careful with the balcony at first, since she isn't used to such a thing. Perhaps a see-thru barrier in front of the railing at first, until you see how she reacts to it.

It is glazed and has a net against insect on the part that opens, as do all windows, so that should be safe.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

Ginny had her procedure today. She did well with it, and is mostly back to her normal self already - very cuddly, and she perked up immediately when she saw me at the vet.

They did not see a polyp, mass or foreign body in there. They flushed a bunch of gunk out of her nose, and are sending swabs for PCR. Even right after I brought her home, she was sneezing and I could hear her breathing, so the effect from flushing out her nose was short lived.

We will start her on an anallergenic/hypoallergenic diet now, and see if that at least helps her GI symptoms, and maybe her respiratory symptoms too.ScreenShot2023-08-31at10_47_23PM.thumb.png.ec6435c1378b908665616ea07e0cdc72.png

• Like 5
  • Hugs 13
  • Love 3

Any ideas how to simultaneously hold a cat down and inject them? Attempt #1 didn't go well, and may have ended with her leaping off of the bed and the syringe flying out of her scruff, spinning until it landed needle-first into the carpet.

I live alone, and Ginny is too scared of other humans to be able to have somebody come over for her injection.

Of course, now she won't let me near her either. *sigh*

ScreenShot2023-09-02at8_37_15PM.thumb.png.4484a165a618cb7775d0bd3b8163fa90.png

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3
  • Sad 5
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Any ideas how to simultaneously hold a cat down and inject them? Attempt #1 didn't go well, and may have ended with her leaping off of the bed and the syringe flying out of her scruff, spinning until it landed needle-first into the carpet.

I live alone, and Ginny is too scared of other humans to be able to have somebody come over for her injection.

Oh, man, I wish I could remember enough to help you out. I had the meanest cat in the world - the vet had a skull and crossbones flag on her record - but when she was diagnosed with diabetes, I was somehow able to give her insulin shots twice a day, plus pricking her ears to check her blood sugar. I think I must have started with the classic cat between my thighs/ kneeling over her and pinching up her upper back skin. I don’t remember it ever being a struggle. Have you checked out YouTube? Also there was one site that kept bubbling to the top when I looked for diabetic cat info, that had some very helpful videos. I’m not sure if the kind of injections you need to give are similar to insulin, but google and YouTube may be good resources. 

• Like 6
20 hours ago, secnarf said:

Any ideas how to simultaneously hold a cat down and inject them?

It varies by cat.  Any time you have to give injections - whether subQ fluids or shots - it can be a disruptive element in your dynamic with your pet -- they're on edge, worrying you're going to grab and do something to them.  So if you can develop a routine, so they know when it's coming and aren't on edge in between shot times, that's best. 

But if the cat will simply use that routine to know when to hide, making you drag them out, that can be just as stressful for both of you.  So some people find a sneak attack best, waiting to spot the cat just waking up (when they're less likely to have the alertness to bolt) or even picking them up from a nap so as to avoid chasing and corralling.

Any way you do it, rewarding them with their favorite treat immediately afterward is a way to get them to "Well, at least I get X afterward" accept their lot in life with less fuss.

I've never had a problem holding onto one once I had them, but if that's the issue, making a "purrito" out of them is the primary suggestion -- wrap those fists of fury up in a towel, pull out whatever body part you're going to give the shot to, inject, give treat, and release.

Trial and error, unfortunately.  But you'll get there.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 8
8 hours ago, secnarf said:

Logistics to work out as far as where to hang it from (closet?), but I can sort of see this working...maybe, lol. Lik Bastet said, maybe keep a favorite treat bag hangieg in front of it, or perhaps some catnip involvement. It doesn't immobilize their head, so don't know if that would be problematic.

Pet-Grooming-Hammock-for-Nail-Clipping-Grooming-Ear-Eye-Hair-Care-for-Small-Medium-Dogs-Cats

image.png.245cd435fca76f7f7d46cf9466675d4f.png

best-cat-sling-for-cutting-nails

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 2
  • Useful 3
On 9/3/2023 at 2:19 AM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Logistics to work out as far as where to hang it from (closet?), but I can sort of see this working...maybe, lol. Lik Bastet said, maybe keep a favorite treat bag hangieg in front of it, or perhaps some catnip involvement. It doesn't immobilize their head, so don't know if that would be problematic.

Pet-Grooming-Hammock-for-Nail-Clipping-Grooming-Ear-Eye-Hair-Care-for-Small-Medium-Dogs-Cats

image.png.245cd435fca76f7f7d46cf9466675d4f.png

best-cat-sling-for-cutting-nails

As adorable as this looks, any cat worth its name that dislikes having its nails trimmed is not going to suffer the indignity of this!  My kitty would consider this on a level with the Cone of Shame and would fight it just as hard, or should I say, tooth and claw.

image.png.1f18206dcaf9560dcc43414e9b2c2399.png

Edited by Ancaster
  • LOL 5
4 hours ago, Ancaster said:

As adorable as this looks, any cat worth its name that dislikes having its nails trimmed is not going to suffer the indignity of this!  My kitty would consider this on a level with the Cone of Shame and would fight it just as hard, or should I say, tooth and claw.

image.png.1f18206dcaf9560dcc43414e9b2c2399.png

"This is an outrage! You will feel my wrath!

image.thumb.png.f93fef8dce7494448822b4aa826bc5a4.png

• LOL 9

Latest catspeak:

"So we've established that walking across your keyboard destroys your work, and sitting in front of the TV stops you watching it, how about if I knead on your lovely warm touchscreen and send everything haywire?  (Be nice if you could make it a bit softer though.)"

• Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 8
53 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

Anyone else have a cat (or any other pet for that matter) that wakes itself up when it farts, then looks accusingly at anyone else in the vicinity (ie, me)? 

No but Peaches used to glare accusingly at her butt, like "How dare you!"

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
6 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Anyone else have a cat (or any other pet for that matter) that wakes itself up when it farts, then looks accusingly at anyone else in the vicinity (ie, me)? 

I've told the story before (but you weren't here then) of my late cat Baxter once letting out a fart so huge it sounded for all the world like a human had done it -- to the point if another human was in the house and insisted it was the cat, I would never have believed them.  I heard it from the other side of the house and came to investigate, so I don't know what his sister Maddie did in the immediate aftermath, but when I got there she was inspecting him, and then looked at him with an expression that so clearly translated as "What just happened in your ass?!"

When Bax was little (he was one of my few kittens; I adopted him at about 6 months), he would suddenly rise from wherever he was, run over to me, fart, and then run back to where he'd been.  Thanks for sharing, sweet pea.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 13
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I've told the story before (but you weren't here then) of my late cat Baxter once letting out a fart so huge it sounded for all the world like a human had done it -- to the point if another human was in the house and insisted it was the cat, I would never have believed them.  I heard it from the other side of the house and came to investigate, so I don't know what his sister Maddie did in the immediate aftermath, but when I got there she was inspecting him, and then looked at him with an expression that so clearly translated as "What just happened in your ass?!"

When Bax was little (he was one of my few kittens; I adopted him at about 6 months), he would suddenly rise from wherever he was, run over to me, fart, and then run back to where he'd been.  Thanks for sharing, sweet pea.

I've never heard of a pet generously sharing their farts like that- love it!

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions on how to contain Ginny for her injections - the B12 is once a week initially, and I took the week to get her used to the routine of a kitty burrito, doing it every night exactly like I would for the injection. I would even pinch her scruff like I was going to inject. She doesn't like being wrapped up, but once I've got her there, she stays with her head down on my knees and won't move, though she looks super sad :(

Today was time for her next injection, and it went perfectly. She barely flinched, and made no attempt to run away. She also didn't hate me afterwards. Total success!

• Like 6
  • Applause 5
  • Love 7
On 9/10/2023 at 8:05 PM, secnarf said:

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions on how to contain Ginny for her injections - the B12 is once a week initially, and I took the week to get her used to the routine of a kitty burrito, doing it every night exactly like I would for the injection. I would even pinch her scruff like I was going to inject. She doesn't like being wrapped up, but once I've got her there, she stays with her head down on my knees and won't move, though she looks super sad :(

Today was time for her next injection, and it went perfectly. She barely flinched, and made no attempt to run away. She also didn't hate me afterwards. Total success!

I am glad she is adjusting well. 

Now that’s it’s cooled down a bit in Chicago (we are at that rare point where both Cosmo and I are happy to be outside); I walked him to the local Petco. 

I LOVE these, my cats probably wouldn’t use them but they are right up my Halloween fanatic heart. 

IMG_9161.jpeg

IMG_9162.jpeg

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

We got Ginny’s PCR results back today - negative. It’s great she doesn’t have any of those infections but it doesn’t get us closer to an answer. 
We will now work under the theory that there was some sort of initial insult and she has been in a cycle of inflammation causing more discharge which causes more inflammation. We will leave her on the anallergenic food for now, and try meloxicam as a non-steroid anti-inflammatory. If that fails, we will try steroids. 
In the meantime, I will also try the nasal drops again using the kitty burrito technique that worked so well for the B12 injection. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

We got Ginny’s PCR results back today - negative. It’s great she doesn’t have any of those infections but it doesn’t get us closer to an answer. 
We will now work under the theory that there was some sort of initial insult and she has been in a cycle of inflammation causing more discharge which causes more inflammation. We will leave her on the anallergenic food for now, and try meloxicam as a non-steroid anti-inflammatory. If that fails, we will try steroids. 
In the meantime, I will also try the nasal drops again using the kitty burrito technique that worked so well for the B12 injection. 

I’m glad Ginny doesn’t have an infection, but I can only imagine how hard it is to still not have answers. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

I know what a mixed bag results like that are, so I empathize.  I hope the anti-inflammatory treatment (plus the great boost of B-12) does the trick.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Cavendish didn't come get his breakfast. I'm sure he's ok. Maybe his tummy hurts. (Someone threw up last night, and he just coughed up a hairball). 

This morning he’s walked around, climbed on various chairs, got in a box and now he’s napping on Cosmo’s bed. 

No crying or anything. He’s alert which is a good thing. 

I’m not concerned yet, but you know he’s my fragile one.

• Hugs 16
On 9/10/2023 at 1:55 PM, Bastet said:

That reminds me -- has the great TNR project started yet?  IIRC, it was scheduled for September, but I'm not sure when.

So far we have trapped and neutered 32 cats. Yep 32!! There are about 3 that escaped the traps and I will keep trying to get them. Also there were 4 mamas that were nursing so I have to find those kitties.The TNR people have some people lined up to foster them and when old enough they will be fixed and the foster people will try to find homes for them. So far I have caught 3 of the baby kittens, and have seen 4 more from two mamas.  I had some medical procedures done this week and am back to normal now, so will get on top of getting those 4. The other mamas have their kittens really well hidden, I'm hoping soon they will bring them here for food....

It was a very exhausting process and still not 100% complete.  I just keep shaking my head, 32 cats!!! I think some were visitors just for food, because the number now is more like I thought I had 20-25.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 4
  • Applause 14
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

So far we have trapped and neutered 32 cats. Yep 32!!

Yowza!  I'm so relieved you kept at it and were finally able to find an organization to help, before the problem got even more out of control. 

Feral babies can pretty easily become completely domesticated with the proper socialization, so it's great there are fosters lined up for the kittens.

What an astounding difference in this colony's reality -- truly heartwarming, so thank you for the update.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

So far we have trapped and neutered 32 cats. Yep 32!! There are about 3 that escaped the traps and I will keep trying to get them. Also there were 4 mamas that were nursing so I have to find those kitties.The TNR people have some people lined up to foster them and when old enough they will be fixed and the foster people will try to find homes for them. So far I have caught 3 of the baby kittens, and have seen 4 more from two mamas.  I had some medical procedures done this week and am back to normal now, so will get on top of getting those 4. The other mamas have their kittens really well hidden, I'm hoping soon they will bring them here for food....

It was a very exhausting process and still not 100% complete.  I just keep shaking my head, 32 cats!!! I think some were visitors just for food, because the number now is more like I thought I had 20-25.

You guys are doing amazing work. The kittens will be able to be fostered and make lovely pets. 

And the feral cats will be able to live out their lives and not have a population explosion!

FYI Cavendish climbed on the mantle and ate all his dinner. He’s running around again. I’m relieved. 

• Like 16
  • Love 2

You guys are doing amazing work. The kittens will be able to be fostered and make lovely pets. 

Our Elizabeth's mother was feral and we were her only real socialization. She took to it like a duck to water. She was a bit wild at first but no more so than any other floofy little criminal.

• Like 9
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Our Elizabeth's mother was feral and we were her only real socialization. She took to it like a duck to water. She was a bit wild at first but no more so than any other floofy little criminal.

Yes, I had a wonderful calico girl (Kali - guess why she was named that?) who was dropped off with her all black brother (Krishna) by a feral mom at my back door when she was eight weeks old (we were feeding mom outside and had a new set of two kittens the next year as well - they were Durga and Ram but we were never able to get them inside to socialize them.) Kali took to domestic life extremely well and so far has been my longest lived cat (23! she went over the Rainbow Bridge about 15 years ago and I have a painting of her in my office).

• Like 5
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Yes, I had a wonderful calico girl (Kali - guess why she was named that?) who was dropped off with her all black brother (Krishna) by a feral mom at my back door when she was eight weeks old (we were feeding mom outside and had a new set of two kittens the next year as well - they were Durga and Ram but we were never able to get them inside to socialize them.) Kali took to domestic life extremely well and so far has been my longest lived cat (23! she went over the Rainbow Bridge about 15 years ago and I have a painting of her in my office).

She sounds like Elizabeth. To the manor born, she rules the roost around here.

• Like 7

OMG, y'all -- Riley is playing!  Which hadn't happened since June.  She played for about ten minutes two nights ago, a few minutes yesterday, and now about ten minutes today.  Nothing compared to her norm, but there had been zero interest for all this time so it's huge!

We're still in the drawn-out process of give X and Y medication, which help, but also cause side effect A and B, and then one of those in turn causes problem C, so adjust the dose, wait two weeks for that to take effect, test again, lather, rinse, repeat.  The goal is to get her in for an MRI, but we've got to get her kidney values better first.  (I'm giving extra fluids, plus significantly reducing the dizziness/wobbliness problem means she's going to the litter box more often, and not holding her pee so long will help.)  Next test Monday, so fingers crossed.

She's doing pretty well in general, though.  Still not eating what she should be eating (that is always the last thing to improve) and not talking anywhere near as much as normal, but she's not confused anymore and rarely uncomfortable.  The trouble sleeping is greatly reduced, and most of the time when she sleeps it's a good conk-out.  No seizures (or seizure-like events; we still don't know what they are).  Zero question that if she never got any better, this would be a life worth living, but I obviously hope to get her even more improved.

• Like 5
  • Applause 5
  • Love 11
23 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

She sounds like Elizabeth. To the manor born, she rules the roost around here.

That's just how cats do things, isn't it :D? They settle into a new home and are like, "Okay, I'm in charge here now." 

• LOL 8
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

They're so funny! "How dare that squirrel be in MY yard!"

We have two cats, so there's a lot of competition between them in that regard :p. Anytime Mitsi's sitting next to my mom, or in some spot that Lily has decided is hers, Lily will just sit and stare at her until she moves. Sometimes they'll have a staring contest :p. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 9

With my two, the brother cat (Iggy the orange tabby) is twice as big as his sister (Hilda the gray and brown tabby), so if he wants her spot, he just basically throws himself down on top of her. Since then she can't breathe, she squirms out from under him and huffily departs. He is such a lug! 😸

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, isalicat said:

With my two, the brother cat (Iggy the orange tabby) is twice as big as his sister (Hilda the gray and brown tabby), so if he wants her spot, he just basically throws himself down on top of her. Since then she can't breathe, she squirms out from under him and huffily departs. He is such a lug! 😸

That is kind of like what Elizabeth used to do to Nathan. We'd put their bowls down for dinner and she would just start to lean against him, until he was squished up against the cabinets. Being a Maine Crabcake, she was three times is size.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
10 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Official Birthday Photo from the Court of Iggy and Hilda:

(We are proud to announce we are four years old. The world is our playground and we are well pleased with it.)

Screenshot 2023-09-18 194316.jpg

They are so beautiful. Happy Birthday!

My pair, Loki and Freya will also be four in November.

• Like 5
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, isalicat said:

Official Birthday Photo from the Court of Iggy and Hilda:

(We are proud to announce we are four years old. The world is our playground and we are well pleased with it.)

Screenshot 2023-09-18 194316.jpg

They are so beautiful. Such majestic faces. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1