Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: No Sanctuary

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

Yeah, we know Gareth is going to be back. And so is Michonne's katana. And that Rick is going to kill him with a red-handled machete. First of all, somebody needs to tell Rick to start using spoiler tags. Second of all, what a dumb plan. When did Rick decide to start bringing machetes to gunfights? Or even sword-fights? 

Might have been funny if they did go back into Terminus. Rick sees Gareth 200 feet away, throws down his own gun, draws the machete, and takes a bullet to the head right before Carol drops a piano on Gareth...

However, that said, I look forward to seeing more of H. H. Hipster. I mean, he's only been in two episodes. It's not like when they just gratuitously kept the Governor around so we could "learn" everything about him that we'd already seen in Season 3. I thought the Brillip story went on for fucking ever. I thought the Joe story came to such a sudden end that it gave me whiplash. Maybe this time they'll get it just right.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 5

I wouldn't mind:

Seeing the walkers change as the virus evolves; be able to climb or use their hands with dexterity, or more of the primitive weapon rock-throwing walkers like at the dept. store.

Seeing the change in humans as the virus evolves and it isn't just death that makes you turn. Sleep? Anger? Flatulence?

Seeing the virus jump species. (dangerously close to the "killer rabbit! RUN AWAY! scene in Monty Python & The Holy Grail, but still.) Just think of 120 growling, milky-eyed squirrels dropping from the trees onto your camp.

Introduce new ethical/moral/creep factor by having part-turned, part-not turned people. (I don't mean part like in "from the waist up, or right and left". Although it would be fun for Greg Nicotero.)  I would love to see some people get, oh, a little blue, a little extra-smellier than usual, a little uninterested in stale Big Cat candy bars but sniffing Judith excessively.

Or have a bizarre colony discovered of "missing link" people stuck between normal and turned, and can still speak and feel emotion but eat dogs and deer and your arms and do you kill them? Save them for vaccine potential? Save them for cannon fodder in fights?

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 1

people stuck between normal and turned, and can still speak and feel emotion

Did you see the (unfortunately) dropped pilot of a show called "Babylon Fields?" That was the premise and I found it fascinating, as in what would YOU do if a deceased loved one rose from the grave, recognizable and sentient - if a little shopworn - and came back to you?

Could anyone of our group have shot Sophia if she had come out of that barn and said "Mommy!"?

Edited by AngelaHunter

Introduce new ethical/moral/creep factor by having part-turned, part-not turned people. (I don't mean part like in "from the waist up, or right and left". Although it would be fun for Greg Nicotero.) I would love to see some people get, oh, a little blue, a little extra-smellier than usual, a little uninterested in stale Big Cat candy bars but sniffing Judith excessively.

SyFy's Z Nation has already done that, so I'm confident TWD never will.

• Love 4

Yes, I've seen Pet Sematary any number of times and read the book more than once, but Babylon Fields had significant differences. I would never want someone to return as they did in P.S. but may if they returned as they did in the latter.

I've often wondered why they don't use the zombie guts camouflage trick more often. I mean, they could keep an old poncho or some random piece of clothing on hand for such occasions. I agree with you, Mu Shu, the remaining Termites would not have expected that and they could have gotten Michonne's katana back!

I've always wondered why they don't fill a spray bottle with walker blood to carry at all times. Seems like a quick and easy means of self-defense against being overwhelmed by a herd. I don't know if there's an expiration date on blood and guts outside of the host body, but the host body being dead with no circulatory system means that they've been sitting there for a long time already, so...

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 2

Well, unless I'm misremembering, in order to get the gas canister in, they basically lifted the roof off the train car, no? So, once the gang is knocked out, the Termites could raise the roof again (heh) to air it out once they've retrieved their prey...?

I remember them just opening a small (like 3 x 3 feet wide) hatch in the middle of the roof and throwing the cannister in. Not the whole roof opening. Then the main door to the railcar opened and the Termites rushed in. It's probably just a small oversight by the show, but I thought of the smoke not venting out properly upon the first viewing.

I've always wondered why they don't fill a spray bottle with walker blood to carry at all times. Seems like a quick and easy means of self-defense against being overwhelmed by a herd. I don't know if there's an expiration date on blood and guts outside of the host body, but the host body being dead with no circulatory system means that the blood has been there for a long time already, so...

Probably because the walker blood would clot in a few hours in the spray bottle container and therefore become unsprayable.  Blood not circulating or out of the body would clot within a few hours, so I guess technically whenever we see a walker killed and there is red fresh liquid blood spattering everywhere - this would technically be wrong. There wouldn't be any blood, only brown/black thick sludge. But where's the gory fun in that?

I do think that one of the reasons that the gang doesn't wear zombie guts more is the ick factor (they have enough in their life), and also the lack of a change of clothes. You goo up your clothes and without a change and nearby water to wash them in, that's what you are wearing. But then Carol did it right by wearing a poncho overtop of her clothes!.

• Love 3

Are we sure about that? I thought the last time we saw it was when Rick put it on the nightstand before lying down back in that house. I don't think he grabbed it before jumping under the bed. Pretty sure he left without it. It's probably still there.

He did grab it. He first slid under the bed then reached up to grab it and the water bottle. When he was under the bed, he was trying to silence the ticking to not draw attention to the fact that he was under the bed. So I do think it was Carol's watch(that Rick had) next to Rick's watch (which stoner dude had). 

Re: cars. At some point, cars have to die and gas runs out. I do wonder what point that would be. Can you hot wire any car? Because I doubt keys would be lying around near all vehicles. And there are what, 15 of them now? That's at least 3-4 vehicles they need to find and keep gassed. Also, a lot of noise being drawn to that and I imagine a lot of roads are either barricaded, car-crashed covered,  or zombie hoarded over. That wouldnt stop me from trying to drive but I question how far they would get by driving. 

• Love 1

Yeah, we know Gareth is going to be back. And so is Michonne's katana. And that Rick is going to kill him with a red-handled machete. First of all, somebody needs to tell Rick to start using spoiler tags. Second of all, what a dumb plan. When did Rick decide to start bringing machetes to gunfights? Or even sword-fights? 

Might have been funny if they did go back into Terminus. Rick sees Gareth 200 feet away, throws down his own gun, draws the machete, and takes a bullet to the head right before Carol drops a piano on Gareth...

Hopefully it's not too anvilicious when Gareth and Rick eventually bury the hachet (into Gareth). I think the show was trying to bold-font, underscore, all-caps (again) that this is not FarmerRick anymore. This is BiteTheJugularRick.

Probably because the walker blood would clot in a few hours in the spray bottle container and therefore become unsprayable. Blood not circulating or out of the body would clot within a few hours, so I guess technically whenever we see a walker killed and there is red fresh liquid blood spattering everywhere - this would technically be wrong. There wouldn't be any blood, only brown/black thick sludge. But where's the gory fun in that?

Maybe they could raid a Target and search the travel amenities section for those little shampoo and lotion bottles?

I wouldn't mind a bonus episode or DVD extra about the practicalities of the ZA after the most logical raiding spots have been exhausted. Like, they could go to a salon for flammable materials and disinfectant, a bookstore for kindling (sob), a hydroponics store for materials to grow portable edible plants, a car dealership for top condition vehicles with keys handy, gas to use or siphon, and a parts shop (wondered this a lot during the RV days). A discussion about the pros and cons of living in a Costco. Things like that.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 1

I do think that one of the reasons that the gang doesn't wear zombie guts more is the ick factor (they have enough in their life), and also the lack of a change of clothes. You goo up your clothes and without a change and nearby water to wash them in, that's what you are wearing. But then Carol did it right by wearing a poncho overtop of her clothes!.

The poncho over the clothes is what I was referring to, which wouldn't really be feasible for reuse without a home base but could have come in handy at the prison. I'm thinking particularly of the time Carol almost got eaten while unclogging that water hose.  If they had a poncho they hung on the fence, for example, they could put it on for instances such as this.

Too bad they can't just do what they did in "Shaun of the Dead", where they study the movements of the zombies, make zombie noises, and move like zombies to get from point A to point B. Then they wouldn't have to get all of the petrified flesh all over them.

The poncho over the clothes is what I was referring to, which wouldn't really be feasible for reuse without a home base but could have come in handy at the prison. I'm thinking particularly of the time Carol almost got eaten while unclogging that water hose.  If they had a poncho they hung on the fence, for example, they could put it on for instances such as this.

NurseGigi, The bolded - This is a very interesting thing that you mentioned actually and just made me think of another way of defense. Raid a fabric store, take several bolts of strong thick fabric (like corduroy or denim or whatever) then hang the fabric all along the fence (like a banner), then smear zombie guts and parts on it. If this was done all along the entire fence perimeter at the prison, the bolts of fabric could potentially act like another barrier, blocking the walker's from smelling the living inhabitants. And it doesn't matter that the guts on the fabric dry and rot alittle - that's what the zombies are doing already. Once a week or as needed, smear some more guts on it to be sure. It's like a fabric shield against the walkers. Those same bolts of fabric can be used to wrap around one's self and smear the guys on - ala Glenn and Carol - and go on supply runs.

• Love 4

I'm not sure they'd need the bolts of fabric on the fence.  If live humans hide, even nearby, zombies shamble right past them.  They can't smell from very far away.  But having some icked-up ponchos hanging near the entrances for supply runs and other chores is a good idea.

Introduce new ethical/moral/creep factor by having part-turned, part-not turned people...<snip>...do you kill them? Save them for vaccine potential? Save them for cannon fodder in fights?

This book touches on that a little: The Zombie Autopsies: Secret Notebooks from the Apocalypse

http://www.amazon.com/The-Zombie-Autopsies-Notebooks-Apocalypse/dp/0446564656

It's the zombie apocalypse from the perspective of a medical mystery.  People turn in stages.  At stage VI someone is considered dead and can be "killed" or dissected without legal penalty.  There is discussion on whether stage III people should also be declared dead, there is some controversy on where the line can be drawn and why.

• Love 1

Too bad they can't just do what they did in "Shaun of the Dead", where they study the movements of the zombies, make zombie noises, and move like zombies to get from point A to point B. Then they wouldn't have to get all of the petrified flesh all over them.

That might be what the Governor did after Woodbury.

I think we were supposed to believe he was simply so dead inside that the zombies left him alone because they understand metaphors, but if you want an explanation a little bit less batshit than that he was probably 

a. acting like one of them whenever there was a herd around

b. occasionally killing lone zombies in order to freshen up his stink, and/or

c. sleeping with the entire writing staff.

The acting may have also been a factor with Michonne. That time that her cover slipped, it was because she lost her cool when she saw Bizaaro-chonne. Although it's debatable how much of that was them noticing her body language change and how much was her perspiration increasing from stress.

They certainly didn't seem to notice that one of their number was shooting guns and blowing up gas tanks, so maybe it is all just smell.

If it is all just smell, that raises an interesting question. Would they respond to another "zombie" killing them all? Throw some of your heavy hitters into gut-suits, have other people on a rooftop or fence yelling as a distraction, and you might be able to clear an entire herd without firing one bullet. I think the perfect bait would be putting Beth into a shark cage and having her sing, but that's not an option right now. Which is not entirely a bad thing.

ETA: I stand corrected. They did respond when Carol started shooting, so acting skills do matter.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 3

Probably because the walker blood would clot in a few hours in the spray bottle container and therefore become unsprayable. 

But there are so many of those nice battery-operated devices where you scent your home like Explosion At An Apple Orchard. etc. Instead of bottled scent liquid why couldn't you just mix some walker blood in water and put that in the glass reservoir, let it heat up and refresh your camp or prison garden or pig-sty? Those Glade Flameless Candle things would be pretty with their dancing silhouettes and throw off a wicked stench at the same time.

• Love 1

Not at all, kikismom.  Thinking practically is a plus during the ZA.

Since Gareth coming back seems to be an inevitability, I want someone to yell "Heil Hipster!" Okay, just me then?

Heh! Instead of a Nazi salute, hold out your hand like you're waiting for your double-shot pumpkin spice latte.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 4

Just re-watching and wondering why the outside of the cabin (Tyreese and Judith's place) has an absence of (dead) walkers. When Tyreese was forced out there were a lot of them that he must have dispatched. Where are the bodies? Or am I missing something?

• Love 2

I am still thinking about Lil Asskicker's look when Rick held her in his arms - "Hell - No."

The last time she was in his care - the 7 year olds were dodging bullets trying to carry her to the bus.

There have been issues with Tyreese and Carol's care - but they at least know you don't take a baby into battle.

Judith looked very comfortable in Tyreese's arms.

• Love 2

Maybe they could raid a Target and search the travel amenities section for those little shampoo and lotion bottles?

I wouldn't mind a bonus episode or DVD extra about the practicalities of the ZA after the most logical raiding spots have been exhausted. Like, they could go to a salon for flammable materials and disinfectant, a bookstore for kindling (sob), a hydroponics store for materials to grow portable edible plants, a car dealership for top condition vehicles with keys handy, gas to use or siphon, and a parts shop (wondered this a lot during the RV days). A discussion about the pros and cons of living in a Costco. Things like that.

As a former Sales/merchandiser in grocery...grocery warehouses are a gold mind in something like this. Stacked floor to ceiling full of goods to be shipped, and not a lot of people know about them. Some of them might be looted, but I doubt that most of them would be...

Edited by LexiconDevilOne
  • Love 2

NurseGigi, The bolded - This is a very interesting thing that you mentioned actually and just made me think of another way of defense. Raid a fabric store, take several bolts of strong thick fabric (like corduroy or denim or whatever) then hang the fabric all along the fence (like a banner), then smear zombie guts and parts on it. If this was done all along the entire fence perimeter at the prison, the bolts of fabric could potentially act like another barrier, blocking the walker's from smelling the living inhabitants. And it doesn't matter that the guts on the fabric dry and rot alittle - that's what the zombies are doing already. Once a week or as needed, smear some more guts on it to be sure. It's like a fabric shield against the walkers. Those same bolts of fabric can be used to wrap around one's self and smear the guys on - ala Glenn and Carol - and go on supply runs.

I used to wonder why they didn't put large trucks (like in the original "Dawn of the Dead")or cars, something,  between the fences to hold them up. It made much more sense than those logs. Although I think using zombie guts, or having 'pets' around the perimeter ever couple of feet or so, would work about right.

Frankly, I'd have done both. Safety, none of these people really think long term, but the show would be so boring if they did.

• Love 2

As a former Sales/merchandiser in grocery...grocery warehouses are a gold mind in something like this. Stacked floor to ceiling full of goods to be shipped, and not a lot of people know about them. Some of them might be looted, but I doubt that most of them would be...

LexiconDevilOne - and one would find these places in my area, how?  (just checking for a friend).  :-)

Easy.

Next time you go grocery shopping (Perhaps, any store you may be at, like Target or Walmart) ask what company they use to deliver grocery, or whatever items you may want or need.

Find address a couple of ways, the internet. Or public libraries all have phone books. Useful things, libraries.

Planning ahead is always best, right? :)

Just in case...

Edit, One should never post before coffee.

Edited by LexiconDevilOne

Finally starting to catch up with you guys.

Holy moley, what a way to start the season! Carol! Kicking butt and taking no prisoners. Literally. Rick going all Rambo on the Termites. (Hee! Great nickname.) Tyreese finding his inner avenging guardian angel. And best of all (well, maybe best after Carol) is the return of Morgan! Love, love Lennie James!

• Love 4