Type keyword(s) to search

Funny moments - what are your favorites?

• Start Topic

Another random one that cracks me up is when Lorelai is cleaning out the fridge (no idea of the episode....it's during the Plaid years though) and she finds a container of leftover fries and she and Rory munch on a few of them, then Lorelai tosses the rest of them in the trash.  The way Rory looks at the partial french fry in her hand is absolutely hysterical.

And I will never, ever not die laughing at Rory's poor traumatized face in Come Home when Richard says he and Emily have "reconciled" several times since the night before.  OMG, I'm laughing just thinking about it.

• Love 2
Another random one that cracks me up is when Lorelai is cleaning out the fridge (no idea of the episode....it's during the Plaid years though) and she finds a container of leftover fries and she and Rory munch on a few of them, then Lorelai tosses the rest of them in the trash.  The way Rory looks at the partial french fry in her hand is absolutely hysterical.

Is this the same one where she throws the pizza away and then realizes it's the newer pizza and tries to get it back out? That's great. The Gilmores have excellent food moments. Also, "Who wants cheese?" and Lorelai eating a Mallomar (?) from the display Rory made her and then replacing it with one from the box.

• Love 4

As much as I hate the scene and where it leads, I always have to smile when Lorelai walks in on Rory and Logan at the vow renewal and says that her grandmother wants a picture.  The look on Rory's face and the tone of her voice is spot on when she croaks "Of this?".

• Love 6

I don't think I've seen this one mentioned, and I can't believe I didn't think of it before -- at the grand opening of the Dragonfly, when Lorelai is all nervous around Luke when he arrives and she turns and plants herself into the passing door! I have to rewind and watch that moment at least a few times every time it's on.

• Love 3

"Am I crying or laughing right now?" "Laughing." "Oh, good."

I love it when she says "and now I'm just 'enscotched' in acceptance. Enscotched?"

Another favorite Sookie moment is when she's throwing the wedding shower for Lorelei and Max and L wants coffee out of the kitchen, but Sookie is trying to keep her out of there and she's running around dancing in front of her, telling her Michele is stealing...I usually find Sookie's over the top physical stuff too much but that time it's really amusing to me.

• Love 1

The funniest moment of the entire series is when the girls are all going on a bachelorette party prior to Max & Lorelai's wedding and Babette is sad that she can't attend.

Babette:  Make sure to put your hands down some guy's pants, will ya?

Lorelai:  I hope you're talking about a stripper.

Babette: (shrugs apathetically):  Whatever.

I rewound this part probably 20 times and cackled gleefully upon each.  What a delivery!

There's also the entire dialogue, in Season 7, when Rory encounters Tasmanian Devil Child Gigi.  

RORY: Oh! My antlers! I love my antlers!

GIGI: Oh, neat! Let me try!

RORY: Wow, okay.

GIGI: [running off to the kitchen] On vixen! On blisters!…

RORY: Kid took my antlers, she took my antlers and galloped away.

Alexis's delivery here is quite adorable.  

Also, Lorelai's "Show them the horoscope!" at the town meeting when L & L announce their coupleship is probably more sweet than anything, but it's hilarious too.  Her face is so full of pride and love.

When Lorelei & Emily are in the Mother Daughter fashion show...Emily looks like she's having such a fun time! The way she shakes her butt and sways around, with that big grin on her face, it always makes me laugh. She's so cute there.

One of the greatest things I've ever seen!  There's a hilarious GIF of that floating around.  Follow any Gilmore Girls Pinterest :)

As does her desperately trying to pantomime that her old friend thought they were going out on a real date while Lorelai was on the phone.  And then shouting I'M A WHORE! as guests were walking by.  >.<

Sookie's whole "whore on a date" scenario is great.  I love it.  Melissa is such a charming actor.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

In S2, "There's The Rub," when Emily and Lorelai are talking to the front desk clerk:

BOBBY: You ladies are booked solid, I see.

EMILY: Well, we intend to leave here completely different people.

LORELAI: Yes, I'm going to be Ted Nugent.

Lauren Graham's delivery in that scene was the perfect blend of deadpan and chirpy sarcasm.

• Love 4

I had never noticed this moment before, but in Pulp Friction there is a great Godfather reference. Lorelai and Luke have just gotten back together and she brings a Weston's coffee cup into the diner.

Luke: Want some coffee?

Lorelai: Say that again slower and with your pants off.

Luke: What's that?

Lorelai: My pretty, pretty face.

Luke: It's a Weston's coffee cup.

Lorelai: Is it?

Luke: You bring an enemy coffee cup in here on the day of our reconciliation.

Lorelai: Well, at least I didn't ask you for a favor on this, the day of your daughter's wedding.

On its own, not that funny. But LG puts the perfect mocking accent on the end of that last line. I rewound it at least five times and cracked up every time. Then I made my (Italian) husband watch it too. Even he laughed.

**edited to include exact quote, way funnier!**

Edited by LeafontheWind
  • Love 1

Can't remember the episode, but one moment that makes me laugh is after Zach proposes to Lane, and Lane is walking around the diner in a daze, and Luke is moving after her and fixing what she's doing. She gives a toaster to a customer and Luke follows her and takes it away from the customer.

Makes me smile every time

Edited by Hybridcookie
  • Love 8

Can't remember the episode, but one moment that makes me laugh is after Zach proposes to Lane, and Lane is walking around the diner in a daze, and Luke is moving after her and fixing what she's doing. She gives a toaster to a customer and Luke follows her and takes it away from the customer.

Makes me smile every time

w

Scott Patterson was at his funniest when he went with the dry, straight delivery rather than the ove the top hysterical route.

• Love 4

along the idea of the Ted Nugent line, in Wedding Bell Blues, there's a great exchange where Rory says she's going to go change and Lorelei responds with "great, come back as Thora Birch". i use that one all the time, both because i love Thora Birch and because Lauren's delivery just cracks me up.

• Love 2

Raincoats and Recipes

Lorelai: "I'm loving you like a $2 hooker." 

Fred Applegate's Character: "Thanks, Lorelai." "I'll remember to let my wife know that." 

Cracks me up every time. Fred Applegate's response on the phone was just priceless. 

• Love 1

I am not as well-versed in the episode titles, but in the episode where Emily catches Gran (Lorelai I) kissing the man in the purple tracksuit, I love Richard's cracking up about it following the big reveal at the Biddy Party.  Him and Lorelai cracking jokes about how the Man in the Purple Tracksuit is his "new daddy" and whether he'll take Richard "to a ball game" is one of the nicest moments the two of them have in the whole series.

• Love 5

I love Lorelai's respose to Emily's enquiry into her romantic life in season 4:

EMILY: And what about you - any men sniffing around?

LORELAI: Um, just on trash day

That episode has some great lines actually:

LORELAI: Why the hell did we have to meet at 9?!

EMILY: Is it absolutely necessary for you to talk like Sharon Osborne?

EMILY: But you hate football

LORELAI: Well I'm not the huge fan that, say, you are Mom

LG's delivery is spot on.

Edited by Gooey
  • Love 3

In Haunted Leg when Luke is teasing Lorelai about Kirk asking her out. 

"LUKE: I told him you like movies and junk food, and of course, talking incessantly, but we both agreed that there’s nothing like some good lovin’ to shut a person up, if you know what I mean.

LORELAI: I’m sorry, can you bring me a sharper fork? I’m not sure this one will go all the way through your hand.

LUKE: Okay, now, I know it’s new so you probably don’t wanna jinx it, so I won’t talk about it anymore. But I have to tell you, seeing that guy’s face when he was talking about you. . .he almost had an expression.

LORELAI: Far, far away from me.

LUKE: [sings] Love is in the air."

The fact that they had Scott P sing makes me smile.

• Love 6

i'm rewatching Raincoats and Recipes, and when Tom is having problems getting the doors, Lorelei turns to Rory and says "i changed my mind, i want to be a ballerina.". i use that one on a daily basis. (come to think of it, most of my jokes are from Gilmore Girls. maybe i should send ASP some royalties...)

• Love 1

A silly moment that makes me smile is during an open (I think): Lorelai and Rory are watching the Brady Bunch Variety Hour (in and of itself a WTF), they are chattering away, suddenly Lorelai looks and says "Ooh! Kayaks!" and moves back towards the TV as if in a hypnotic trance. It's a small thing, but that made me smile.

Forgive me for not knowing episode titles; I just watched the series for the first time over the last couple of months on Netflix.

I have more but my brain is a bit crowded with Season 7 right now, as I just finished a few nights ago.

Edited by amaranta
  • Love 1

One scene that makes me laugh every time is when Luke is confronting Jess about hiding Shane in the closet (OHCATOOD) and he says, paraphrasing, "I know it's hard with all those hormones raging around inside..." The camera then focuses on Jess and MV's look is priceless. 

• Love 1

Lorelai finding out about Paris and Asher Fleming was pretty funny.

LORELAI: So what age are we talking here, like 35, 40? 45? 46? 47? 47½? 48?

RORY: Sixty!

LORELAI: What?! Shut up!

RORY: He went to school with Grandpa!

LORELAI: Sixty?!

RORY: That's how they met. We were having lunch, he came by, Grandpa introduced them. She wanted to get an interview, and apparently, she got one.

LORELAI: Sixty? Like sixty-sixty?!

And there was that moment during Emily's bachelorette party when she finished her drink and she was said, "Lorelai, my cup is empty!" She was drunk already and she sounded both confused and indignant about her empty cup.

• Love 1

Lorelai finding out about Paris and Asher Fleming was pretty funny.

LORELAI: So what age are we talking here, like 35, 40? 45? 46? 47? 47½? 48?

RORY: Sixty!

LORELAI: What?! Shut up!

RORY: He went to school with Grandpa!

LORELAI: Sixty?!

RORY: That's how they met. We were having lunch, he came by, Grandpa introduced them. She wanted to get an interview, and apparently, she got one.

LORELAI: Sixty? Like sixty-sixty?!

And there was that moment during Emily's bachelorette party when she finished her drink and she was said, "Lorelai, my cup is empty!" She was drunk already and she sounded both confused and indignant about her empty cup.

HA!  And then Lorelai is in the background refilling her cup, and she puts like a splash of Coke and a cupful of rum.  The grin on her face as she's doing so kills me.

• Love 2
Rewatching, Mrs. Kim has emerged as probably my favorite of the supporting/recurring characters and she had a number of hilarious moments

For some reason I really love the scene where Mrs. Kim finds out the Gilmores have termites and chases Rory down the sidewalk with a hose.

• Love 1

I feel like Logan never gets to be this funny after this point that he's introduced, which is too bad.  I mostly see him as a super serious or Debbie Downer type character.

But when he first meets Rory in that newsroom and totally mocks her for being a reporter, and he fakes typing away on a computer with the  goofiest grin on his face -- I think that is absolutely hysterical.

It's the Norman Mailer episode.  It's at 1:45 in this video:

TRANSCRIPT:

RORY: Then I think I’ll go with the downloading story.

DOYLE: Good. Go with your gut. And get to work. (He turns to leave. Logan puts on an old “press” hat.)

LOGAN: (1920’s reporter voice, on the phone.) Hello, city desk? Smitty here, take this down. I got a hot scoop on a tall blonde and I gotta put it to bed on the double! (He hangs up, laughs at Doyle, winks at Rory, then puts his feet back on the desk and leans back for a nap with the hat over his face.)

What a card ;)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6

RORY: So, you hear about that whole Sputnik thing?

JACKSON: Oh, Eisenhower's on top of it.

RORY: Hm.

The whole scene in the house prior to it is gold, but this part scene makes me laugh every time. Maybe its the novelty of these two characters whole rarely share a scene just out of the blue bonding and bantering a bit together, but I love it.

• Love 6

I love Rory and Logan in Pushkin:

RORY: Oh. Well, none from Yale. Anyhow, the books. Are you seeing the books? Everything you'd want to read is right
here? [Picking up book] Feel it. Feels good, right? Now smell it. [inhales and sighs] Nothing, nothing smells like that!

LOGAN: I'm sorry, excuse me, did I just see you smell that book?

• Love 3

RORY: So, you hear about that whole Sputnik thing?

JACKSON: Oh, Eisenhower's on top of it.

RORY: Hm.

The whole scene in the house prior to it is gold, but this part scene makes me laugh every time. Maybe its the novelty of these two characters whole rarely share a scene just out of the blue bonding and bantering a bit together, but I love it.

And they are so comfortable with each other!  I love that moment too.

From Eight O'clock at the Oasis, when Emily is trying to get Lorelai to go to the auction and she keeps harassing Lorelai about saying it sounded like a bunch of old women giving away their stuff, I die laughing every time.

EMILY: I’m in charge of the Society Matron’s League’s annual antique auction next Tuesday and I thought maybe you’d like to come.

LORELAI: Society Matron’s League? That’s quite a name.

EMILY: And what is wrong with that name, Lorelai?

LORELAI: Nothing, it just sounds so serious. Brings to mind a room full of old ladies wearing black dresses and cameos and pushing spoonfuls of cod liver oil on the kids.

EMILY: That’s a very flattering portrait of my friends you’re painting.

LORELAI: I didn’t mean your friends. I meant the other old ladies in the league, the ones who don’t like you and your friends ‘cause you guys are so young.

EMILY: Kindly wrap this up soon, Lorelai.

LORELAI: Consider it wrapped.

EMILY: Thank you. As I was saying, all the proceeds from the auction go to the children’s hospital, and we’re going to be offering some lovely pieces which I think would like very nice in that inn of yours.

LORELAI: What sort of pieces?

EMILY: Basically a lot canes and shawls, a couple of walkers. I believe we finally talked Old Lady Rollins into giving up her teeth.

BAHAHAHAHAHA.

• Love 5

And they are so comfortable with each other!  I love that moment too.

Right! Its so cute! It makes it easy to imagine that even if we haven't seen it, these two have probably spent quite a bit of time together because of Lorelai and Sookie and might just be each others port in a storm of crazy when things get out of hand with those two.

From Dead Uncles...

RORY: Luke needs you downstairs.

JESS: Why?

RORY: Because he's on the phone with someone and Caesar's off today and the place is packed and he needs help.

JESS: I'll be down in a minute.

RORY: No, now.

JESS: I'm in the middle of something.

RORY: Just assume that Jeannie’s gonna get Major Healey out of whatever scrape he's in.

JESS: Gee, thanks for spoiling it for me.

• Love 3

As others have mentioned, lots of Luke/Jess interactions are pretty awesome. One of my personal favorites was Luke's rant (and Jess's response) in the episode where Luke decides they need a bigger living space:

LUKE: I can’t relax. I can’t sleep. I’m having nightmares about being chased around by boxes with arms and they tackle me and pile clothing on top of my face and secure it around my head with packing tape and I’m just lying there choking while you’re sitting in the corner laughing, putting gel in your hair with a switchblade!!!
JESS: Should I be putting a tongue depressor in your mouth right about now?

• Love 4

Another luke favourite funny moment is in the deer hunters:

Luke Danes: You look like you need pie.

Rory: I do?

Luke Danes: Violent pencil-tossing usually signals a need for pie.

Rory: What if I'd thrown a pen?

Luke Danes: I would've brought you a trout.

Rory: What?

Luke Danes: I don't make the rules, I just carry them out.

• Love 3

I'm watching a Season 2 episode and Lorelai dates this young blonde guy.

The blonde guy comes to the diner and after, Rory and Luke are mock Lorelai for being a cradle robber.

Luke to some little boys sitting beside Lorelai:  "Would you please move down a couple of seats; it would make me a lot more comfortable" (the boys oblige) hahahahahahahahaha

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

Richard does the Economics school project with Rory and he discovers that he doesn't want to be retired anymore.

Emily:  Are you thinking about asking for your job back?

Richard (horrified):  Oh God no.  No no nononono.

Richard:  Maybe I should teach.

Lorelai:  What.

Richard:  Well you don't have to say it like that.

Lorelai:  Sorry.  (Fake jovially:)  What?  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

So I'm new to this site but I love all the discussion! I agree with all these moments that have been shared so far.

One moment that I find hysterical even though I hate the scene is in Season 7 when Luke and Christopher fight in the town square. The moment that I laugh at every time is when they are advancing towards each other and Christopher rips off his scarf and throws it to the ground. It's just something in the way that he takes it off that's hilarious. Or that he has to take off a scarf before fighting. I can't really explain why I find it funny but I do.

• Love 2

this whole exchange in Star-crossed Lovers

LORELAI: Nothing. It's just, 'Oh, hey Mom, uh, Rory and Dean are having their three month anniversary on Friday.' 'Really Lorelai? Why that's wonderful. I'm thrilled.'

RORY: Stop.

LORELAI: 'Three months. Well, woohoo. Hold on, I'm going to cartwheel.'

RORY: Forget it.

LORELAI: Oh, no wait. She's telling my dad now. Why, I think they're cabbage patching.

• Love 3

From Keg! Max! (a bright spot in an episode that I really don't care for)

RORY: The Gilmore house is partying like it's 1999.

LORELAI: And here it's "At Home with The 700 Club."

Kills me every single time.

• Love 1

During the Crap Shack remodel:

LUKE: Oh, I'll gather up some of your stuff.
LORELAI: Last time you gathered up some of my stuff, you accidentally brought me four bras and no pants.
LUKE: That could have been intentional.

• Love 4

Season 6, Emily and Richard are driving through Stars Hollow and Lorelai inadvertently invites them over.

Lorelai and Rory are hosting E&R to dinner and Lorelai tells some long story, goes to answer the door, sees Luke at the door, whispers (mid story) "My parents are here" and Luke whirls around to walk right outside the door again.  Lorelai returns to the dinner table still telling the story.

It's all done just so well.

When Emily asks who was at the door, Lorelai explains that it was Ed McMahon :)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5