Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: I Can't Get Over You to Save My Life

Rayna sets a wedding date which reverberates through the lives of those she loves. Juliette struggles to manage her secret which could prevent her from getting a career-defining movie role, and she meets the leading man who would play her love interest if she got the part. Luke’s new back-up singer, Pam, makes her presence known, Gunnar gets a visit from his first love, Kiley, and Layla decides to wield her power over Will.

Deacon's new love interest: "Buy a girl a cup of coffee?"  Buy your own coffee with your senior citizen discount, casting fail/new character no one wanted.  She looks like a meth-addict prostitute from Sons of Anarchy.  Why do they even bother with pairing Deacon with anyone?  We all know that Raycon is endgame short of Chip Esten pulling an Isaiah Washington, Columbus Short, Gary Dourdan, Michelle Rodriguez or Henry Ian Cusick (double offender).  Deacon should just go into monk mode until he rescues Rayna from Luke, who is obvious going to "pop" her in the mouth or tie her to the train tracks or whatever villainous shit they have planned for him.

I enjoyed the Scarlett and Maddie scene.  More please.  And, while you're handing out seconds, I'm enjoying drunk sexy Avery.  Old girl was going to sprain his penis with all that jumping and humping she was trying to do before Avery pulled her off.

Gunnar has too many love interests.  Two need to die in a fire.

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 17

I thought Jeff was going to kill Layla when she threaten to out Will.

Gunnar doesn't know what family is if he thinks Kylie is like family. She's his ex-girlfriend who knows next to nothing about him. She didn't know his brother was in prison, let alone dead. 

Avery broke my heart. Juliette too. Be nice, Rayna.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 2

Rayna is probably the worst character ever and she and Puke Wheeler deserve each other. She will have to donate all belongings to the homeless and live as a nun to redeem herself at this point.

Does she seriously have ice running through her veins?

• Love 6

It says a lot about the annoying new characters on this show when Derek Freaking Hough didn't bother me.

Rayna should have stuck to her guns with Luke. He lives to put her on the spot on public. And really? Deciding on a couple name takes a committee? Combining tours? How does that work when 100 dates on her side and a year on his is already planned out?

Love Hayden as a brunette, can she keep that wig? And as usual, she broke my heart tonight. She really is the star of this show.

• Love 12

Just this once, can Juliette have a happy ending?  Can she have a happy, healthy baby to love?  Pretty please?  (I want her to have Avery, too, but I'll settle for the baby.)  

• Love 7

I'm with you CofCInci, who would have thought that Maddie and Scarlett would be so much fun? Is this a case of two negatives making a positive? Can we mine that relationship for its potential gold? Please? BTW,kudos to those of your here who saw a "drinky/flirty" Maddie coming, you're sharp! Let's hope that that is the end of her.

I like Zoe, probably because I like Chaley Rose, but her character is only going downhill from here, so please let her go on tour with someone else and write her off the show. Also, for a quiet, unassuming guy, Gunner sure has a lot of baggage. Let's just get to the inevitable and have he and Scarlett start writing together again. They are the pair that sold me on this show.

I don't want to see Avery as Deacon 2.0. Enough with the drinking, Dude. Get a damn grip! Do the writer's realize that the audience is smart enough to know that they are rehashing the same story all over again? Is Juliette gonna marry Derek Hough,and hide her baby's paternity for 15 years?

I'm officially "burnt" on Rayna. She and Luke deserve each other. For someone who wants to keep her private life private, she sure does hash out a lot of her drama on stage. Literally, ON STAGE! Hope they go four-wheelin' off into the sunset. And seriously, a ball and chain tatoo? 

Deacon...oh honey...you can do so much better.

• Love 5

Another one that I loved start to finish. I too enjoyed drunk Avery and Scarlett and Maddie. I only wish they had played Scarlett's song. Did they know Lennon (Maddie) was going to be such a good actress? 

Juliette continues to mesmerize no matter what happens to her character. Emmy, Oscar, whatever TV stars get, Hayden needs to get one. I had a revelation this week as I think I can accept that Juliette will ALWAYS be one scene away from total tortured misery. It's just who she is. 

Just a taste of the dark side from Luke. How long before, as said above, he's tying some damsel to the train tracks. And who should definitely come to her rescue no matter what the treachery? Let's hope it's Deacon. 

Layla at least is now interesting. And for some reason I also love Zooey, though she's just in the way.

Of the show's three "endgame couples" Rayna/Deacon, Scarlett/Gunnar, (possibly) Juliette/Avery, it would be nice if the show had at least one of them together at any given moment. Just a suggestion. 

Agree with no love for either of the new characters. No interest in either Deacon or Juliette getting sidetracked by these obvious benchwarmers.

Edited by Midru
  • Love 5

I loved this episode.  This show is about musicians again!

I was skeptical of the Patsy Cline storyline, but it's actually proving to be interesting because Hayden is such a fantastic actress that you can believe that the producers would pick her to play the part even though her voice is not similar to Patsy's.

Of the show's three "endgame couples" Rayna/Deacon, Scarlett/Gunnar, (possibly) Juliette/Avery, it would be nice if the show had at least one of them together at any given moment. Just a suggestion. 

I agree. This seems like a mis-step on the showrunners part.  It adds such a nice contrast when at least one partnership is working.  I would enjoy watching drama that happens to them, but not always between them.  My favorite scenes are when people are writing songs together.  They could have one of the couples doing this every week and I would be happy.

Did anyone catch the hilarious line about Avery being a love child of Johnny Depp and Johnny Cash?  I laughed out loud at that one.

Edited by LadyHa
  • Love 6

Deacon's new love interest: "Buy a girl a cup of coffee?" Buy your own coffee with your senior citizen discount, casting fail/new character no one wanted. She looks like a meth-addict prostitute from Sons of Anarchy.

YES. Poor woman looked like 12 miles of hard road. She is better suited to Luke, who I swear looks like an emaciated potato. He's just creepy.

Why, exactly, is Rayna the only person to whom Juliette can talk? Was there a disaster of some sort that wiped out all the medical, psychiatric and clergy personnel in all of Nashville? Rayna is with Luke and used to be married to Teddy; clearly she's not that bright.

• Love 9

These writers have no new ideas, but I stilI liked this episode. Random thoughts...

Deacon and Maddie just break me. I feel like they're the show's best love story.

Maddie certainly speaks for me when she says, "Frak you, Rayna!" (It's implied.) I really wonder what they can do to redeem Rayna at this point. She's gone way beyond "paralyzed by fear and lacking in self-awareness" and has evolved into "full-on, shallow, soulless bitch." I wonder if they're trying to equate her behavior now to Deacon's drinking to show how poisonous they both are? Whatever. The best way to fix this may just be to turn her into the show's villain and be done with it. I don't want Deacon to be saddled with her, and I worry for the sanity of her children. She's also a ton prettier than Jeff Fordam.

We have to wait until December for this crap wedding to fall apart?? I need a vacation. Fortunately The Newsroom starts in a month and I can cleanse my soul with its awesome.

The ZAG trio wins the night! If Zoey can remain useful, she may stay.

Take-charge Scarlett is my favorite Scarlett. She may also stay. Who thinks Maddie's going to give up drinking and make-out parties, though? Not me!

I'm sticking with "rode hard and hung up wet" for Pam. Daaaaaayum, girl.

Dear Juliette: I love you, but Rayna is NOT the one you want to be giving you advice about unplanned pregnancies or drunk boyfriends or career moves or...basically anything ever. Talk to Emily and Glenn. They seem sane.

I realized tonight that if you pretend Luke and Rayna don't exist, this show is pretty fun. So how about they die in another car wreck mid-season (clearly Rayna's already too severely brain damaged to be saved anyway) and Sadie Stone takes over as the super-cool grown-up woman? I know she hasn't done much yet, but I have high hopes. She can console Deacon, adopt the girls, run the label, play great music, and make good choices? She's even got good hair. Who's with me?

• Love 3

Rayna can't be redeemed. There's nothing she can do or say.

Also, I am SO. SICK. Of Luke being a total red flag ass and then apologizing later while Rayna is all LOVE YOU CANT WAIT TO MARRY YOU OH LOOK YOU TATTOOED MY NAME ON YOU LIKE A PSYCHO.

• Love 6

Dear Juliette: I love you, but Rayna is NOT the one you want to be giving you advice about unplanned pregnancies or drunk boyfriends or career moves or...basically anything ever. Talk to Emily and Glenn. They seem sane.

I realized tonight that if you pretend Luke and Rayna don't exist, this show is pretty fun. So how about they die in another car wreck mid-season (clearly Rayna's already too severely brain damaged to be saved anyway) and Sadie Stone takes over as the super-cool grown-up woman? I know she hasn't done much yet, but I have high hopes. She can console Deacon, adopt the girls, run the label, play great music, and make good choices? She's even got good hair. Who's with me?

I'm with you.  I never thought I'd say this, but I think Deacon deserves better at this point.  I was up for defending Rayna's choices all through seasons 1-2, but this Wheels Up nonsense is reaching a repellent stage.

On the other point- Juliette seeking advice from Rayna: I interpreted it as Juliette just needing to talk with someone who sympathizes.  I am feeling like Juliette doesn't really need advice- she's going to keep the baby.  She just needs to tell someone who might understand what she's going through to help deal with some of the stress.  I am looking forward to next week to see the conversation between Juliette & Rayna.

• Love 5

Rayna can't be redeemed. There's nothing she can do or say.

Also, I am SO. SICK. Of Luke being a total red flag ass and then apologizing later while Rayna is all LOVE YOU CANT WAIT TO MARRY YOU OH LOOK YOU TATTOOED MY NAME ON YOU LIKE A PSYCHO.

You know they're going to do it, though. I just can't imagine how. I mean, they'd need at least an entire season, and I feel like it's unlikely that this show will get renewed again. So they're bound to just cram some quick "come to Jesus" moment for Rayna in relation to Luke with no real comeuppance as related to Deacon into the last half of the season after she jilts Luke at the alter. Deacon will fall at her feet (hell, he'll probably drive her; I bet they'll run away to the cabin together), Maddie will be thrilled, the end. Can't you see it?!

I really wish Deacon would stand up to Rayna. JUST ONCE. Tell her to go f*ck herself and stop acting like a lovesick lapdog. I get that he's sad, but holy hell. Pull it together, man!

Did anyone catch the hilarious line about Avery being a love child of Johnny Depp and Johnny Cash? I laughed out loud at that one.

Yes! That was great. And so true! Normally I'd be with you on the Juliette/Rayna chat, but at this point, I feel like anything Rayna has to say is just going to be blah blah blah I'm turning into soulless pod person my kid hates me and I'm so sad but keep sabotaging my whole life blah blah blah.

Also, Maddie needs to learn to lie better. At this rate, she's not going to survive her life.

Also, can't believe Rayna likes that song. It's so incredibly icky.

ETA: Wait a minute! It's not going to be Maddie who brings Rayna and Deacon back together. It will be Juliette. In helping Juliette, Rayna will see how she should have done things differently with Deacon. December is not only mid season; it's also about when Juliette could be due if they speed up to real time. Oh good lord. I just hope Maddie doesn't jump off a cliff before Rayna figures this out.

Edited by madam magpie

YES. Poor woman looked like 12 miles of hard road. She is better suited to Luke, who I swear looks like an emaciated potato. He's just creepy.

Perfect.   She's one hard-looking woman, which would make her a good match for hard-hearted Luke.   Luke is so obviously a creep, and Rayna's a dunderhead who's too dense or perhaps too stubborn to see the bright flashing warning signals every time he opens his mouth.    

C'mon, writers.   Do something more interesting with these two twits.   The likely wedding-day melodrama of runaway bride with handsome true-love has been done way too often, and with more likable characters.

I don't want any of the new characters to take root.  This show definitely does not need more characters.  

The scene with Maddie and Scarlett was great fun.   Who knew?    Maddie, bratty as she is, has become one of my favorite characters so far this season.   Her scenes with Deacon are sweet, and now she's brought out the best of Scarlett, too.     

Avery and that barfly.  Yuck.

As always,  HaydenP is fabulous, no matter what she's doing.   Please, please, give Juliette some joy this season.  She does everything else so well.   She'd most likely be really good at doing happiness as well.

Layla is a psycho villain, but at least she's interesting.   

They're making Teddy likable.  This is new.   

Edited by crocosmia
  • Love 5

MM - That was my thought when I saw Juliette sitting in front of Rayna's house and she showed her the sonogram picture of her unborn baby. I bet Rayna will go and get the sonogram she had taken when she was pregnant with Maddie and look at it when she's alone. Will Juliette will be the one to snap Rayna out of that fog she's been in, I hope so..

What is it with Callie and Co why do they have Deacon hooking up with someone who looked like she just finished her last trick for the evening. Why can't they find him a nice woman someone who doesn't look like she's been around the block more then a few times.

Just this once, can Juliette have a happy ending?  Can she have a happy, healthy baby to love?  Pretty please?  (I want her to have Avery, too, but I'll settle for the baby.)  

YES, I am so sick of the "kick Juliette when she's down" show, move on already.

Why does Jeff hate Layla so much? I feel like I missed something, he liked her before this season.

I too wondered about the woman who was after Deacon, definitely a bad casting decision.

I like drunk Avery, but only while he's fun and doing music. Not interested to see him become Deacon Jr while he and Juliette replay Deacon and Rayna's younger years.

Maddie's still a brat, but sneaking out to go to an overage party is a teen thing to do. Her bad talking Teddy to Deacon still vile though. Teddy's the only one sticking around to parent her and actually putting the kids first, but Maddie rather throw that aside to cling to Deacon. 

Glad to see Rayna call Deacon out for the telling Maddie about the proposal. She was right, he didn't help the situation he doesn't get even what he did.

Luke didn't even annoy me this episode. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 2

I know this isn't a documentary about the music business, but I wish the show runners would attempt a little more accuracy in regards to how the business operates.

These folks start and drop world tours at whiplash inducing speeds!

The "Honeymoon Tour"? No good will come of that. Take a shot every time someone stands in the wings making longing looks to the stage.

Luke is a better villain than Jeff; he has much more dimension. I don't know whether that's the actors or the writing. I think we're supposed to be conflicted about him and he still has fans, but that "tough guy with a heart of gold" shit really isn't working for me.

Did anyone else think that Layla went to Jeff's room to seduce him? No? Only me? Okay...

• Love 3

It says a lot about the annoying new characters on this show when Derek Freaking Hough didn't bother me.

Rayna should have stuck to her guns with Luke. He lives to put her on the spot on public. And really? Deciding on a couple name takes a committee? Combining tours? How does that work when 100 dates on her side and a year on his is already planned out?

The combining tours idea annoyed me as well. And the "naming committee" - Ruke or Layna or whatever - what a waste of airtime! Are these writers really going to keep Rayna on this path until the final moments and use the worn-out tactic of having her leave him at the altar? I still can't decide if we are supposed to find Luke creepy or not.

Teddy was nice tonight. Is he still the mayor? He needs a storyline...something more than being Mr. Mom. These writers have no plan for this character, do they?

Maddie and Scarlett were wonderful together.

Not interested in Gunnar's new love. He has no idea of what to do with the two that he currently has. A 3rd one isn't needed.

What is Laura Benanti's purpose on this show? Please do not suggest that she will be Jeff's new love interest.

Really bored with Layla and her blackmail plan. She is one of the most poorly written characters in the show. She exists solely as a plot device.

I need Deacon to find some happiness. No more scary random hookups. No more verbal beat-downs from Rayna. No more humiliation from Luke.

Edited by Ellaria Sand

Laura Benanti has already been on two episodes and they still haven't let her sing, damn it! Can we just have Rayna sign her to Highway 65 now so it can annoy Jeff sooner rather than later? I totally laughed when Sadie was gushing about how much she loves Rayna and Jeff just said, "Yeah, people like her." Ha! I still don't like Jeff for obvious reasons but I do love how much he and Rayna/Juliette hate each other and don't even try to hide it anymore. I don't know if anything will ever top Scarlett's succinct reaction to seeing him last season: "Uch."

Luke, who I swear looks like an emaciated potato.

It's funny because it's true! I seriously sat here laughing for a full two minutes after reading that description of him. From now on I am going to picture a very withered Mr. Potato Head popping on different eyes and noses during his scenes.

I like that Maddie is being portrayed as a normal teenager but conversely all the normal crap they do is still annoying to watch. When she whined to Scarlett about how she always feels left out, I just rolled my eyes. Girl, you have TWO dads who love you plus a little sister who adores you, a mother who might not be around a lot but clearly loves you, a future stepfather who appears to like you, and a super famous country superstar who calls and texts you because she likes you. If you want to talk about feeling left out, try looking at your sister Daphne who never gets to hang out with Deacon anymore and is constantly kicked out of the room every time who have a temper tantrum with one of your parents.

Teddy was such a typical dad this week too. He had a shit fit about how short Maddie's shorts were, but didn't bat an eye when she wore a skirt that was about an inch longer. That is a classic adolescent trick when you are told you can't wear something because it's too short/tight/otherwise revealing. Also straight from handbook of the classic teenage tricks: saying you're going one place and then going somewhere else. When your kid says she's going to her friend's house and her friend's parents will be there, you call the parents to confirm and/or drop her off yourself so you can talk to the parents at the door. Who allegedly picked Maddie up from her house for this party anyway? She's only 14 so she can't drive.

Zoe can STFU and have a seat. If you are annoyed with your boyfriend, just tell him why instead of pouting, stomping off, and giving him the silent treatment. In other words, stop acting Maddie's age. How dare Gunnar accidentally run into a female friend in a public place? How dare he prefer making out with his girlfriend when she unexpectedly comes home early from work instead of wanting to sing with her in his home studio? Zoe used to be a perfectly normal girl and suddenly she's this ridiculously insecure and jealous girlfriend. If she keeps this up, she can go on tour and never come back.

This honeymoon tour sounds like a terrible idea. When things inevitably go south between Rayna and Luke, that is going to be a huge mess. The only positive I see to this tour right now is that it will make Jeff irate, which is always fun.

When Luke was talking to the squealing fans during Deacon's soundcheck, I was certain that Deacon was going to see Luke being inappropriate with one of them and then he would be put in a position to keep it to himself or tell Rayna and risk Luke saying that Deacon was lying/jealous/misinterpreting things.

The only thing that I wholeheartedly agreed with during all the Luke/Rayna crap was that Layna sounds infinitely better than Ruke. Every time someone said Ruke, I expected Scooby Doo to say "ruh roh!"

I laughed at Derek Hough's character asking Juliette if she had acting experience. Ahh, the irony. Dear show, first you made me watch Amanda freaking Valentine "act." This week you made me watch Derek Hough "act." PLEASE STOP IT. I do not need any more reality show participants on Nashville. Layla the fake reality show contestant is already more than I can bear.

Although I don't want Layla to out Will, I will begrudgingly admit that she is smart enough to know when to go up the food chain with her blackmail scheme.

• Love 7

The combining tours idea annoyed me as well. And the "naming committee" - Ruke or Layna or whatever - what a waste of airtime! Are these writers really going to keep Rayna on this path until the final moments and use the worn-out tactic of having her leave him at the altar? I still can't decide if we are supposed to find Luke creepy or not.

Teddy was nice tonight. Is he still the mayor? He needs a storyline...something more than being Mr. Mom. These writers have no plan for this character, do they?

I actually think the writers want us to like Luke.  They tweeted last night about the amazing chemistry Will Chase has with Connie Britton - are we watching the same show?? When they are making out I have to look away or fast forward.

I can't understand why the writers/producers would want to denigrate one of their two main characters (Rayna, obviously) to the extent that they have.  What are they thinking? Or do they not see it? Also, is it poor writing or is CB so uninvested that she isn't doing much acting? She is amazing in some scenes (mainly with Deacon but there aren't many of those) and terrible in others (mainly with Luke). Thank **** for Juliette is all I can say.

I like Teddy, despite all the madness in season 2.  They do need to give him something to do other than sit in bars hoping for a story arc.

Tired of Deacon being sad and having placeholder girlfriends.  Ditch them and all the other extraneous cast members nobody cares about.

I agree with whoever said that if you forget about Luke and (sadly, as I used to like her) Rayna, it's a pretty enjoyable show.

Edited by MisterS
  • Love 3

I really think the writers don't see it. From the pilot, people have complained about Rayna. She gets away with behaviors that are almost never called out by the other characters. It galls me sometimes how badly Juliette pays for every mistake while Rayna sails along being worshipped by everyone no matter what she does. Somehow the writers have a huge blind spot about this. 

Musically, I really want to hear the whole duet with Will and Layla. It sounded great! First Layla song I've liked. And the Avery song, I loved it in the band but hated it when he played it solo. When Avery sings all limp, high, and syrupy (almost every song), I can't stand it. Like everyone I want more Gunnar and Scarlett, but the show obviously knows we love them by the way they have teased us the last few episodes. 

Here's a different thought. Aside from Juliette, who always is charge of her own fate, I can't stand how often they make women look bad. In this episode, women throw themselves at Deacon and Avery, while Zooey and Layla want their men to help advance their careers. Scarlett, whose career only exists because men believe in her and encourage her, is sitting on the sidelines until she is convinced again (no doubt by a man) to resume her career. What's up, woman-centric show? (I'm not even mentioning how Rayna's storyline for three years is her being baffled about which man to choose in her constant parade of suitors.) Can women please be empowered for themselves and have their own agency?

• Love 7

I sometimes feel like I only watch for Daphne's inevitable breakdown.  Can the poor kid have one moment in her life that's just about her?  Her snarking on Maddie was a great little moment, but so was her moment with Teddy.  I adore her.

Avery and the groupie was some kind of "Call me Serena" realness. Creeeeeeepy....

Scarlett and Maddie totally validated my teenage years spent listening to Portishead and Tori Amos while everyone else was into Britney Spears.  Woot!  Fun is a relative term when there's "Buffy" to watch and romance novels to read.

while Zooey and Layla want their men to help advance their careers. Scarlett, whose career only exists because men believe in her and encourage her, is sitting on the sidelines until she is convinced again (no doubt by a man) to resume her career.

I didn't quite read it this way.  Zoey has been fairly adamant about handling her own career and her insecurities with Gunnar were less work-based and more romance-oriented.  She wanted to write with him as a means of connecting rather than a hit single or the like.  I thought their final scenes were well done.  I don't like them as a couple, but it's always nice when terrible communicators finally get their acts together.  

I also like how Layla is grasping at straws to make it.  She is talented, but Jeff has written her off and since she fell for Will and hitched her career to his wagon, she's stuck.  She has a lovely voice (her duet with Will was terrific, as was "Gonna Get Even" last season) and the right vibe to be a country crossover, but Jeff has actively worked against her.   He barely promoted her album and wrote her off the moment she struggled on the charts.  She is manufactured, but so is half the music industry.  If the writers insist on keeping her around, I like her better this way: bringing the crazy, but also being proactive.

What did make me see red is this bizarre focus on reaching more women but not really involving any women. Particularly all the stuff with Jeff and Sadie Stone and Scarlett and her boss.

• Love 3

This show is just so...frustrating.  It has all the pieces, but I never seem to like how they jam them together.

And again I must say, where the hell is Brent?  Layla is waging war on Will and Jeff to get her career out of the toilet and we haven't heard a peep from or about her manager?  And how much more dramatically interesting would it be if Will and Brent were having this affair behind Layla's back, not random trainer dude.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1

If you look at her track record, Callie Khouri generally writes stereotypes of women, not actual cool, tough women, so the problem with the women on this show is really just her normal style. They look awesome on the outside, but when you get to know them, you see that they're actually really weak, sometimes pathetic, not especially smart, and definitely lacking in personal responsibility. Let's all remember that Thelma and Louise drove off a cliff rather than face up to murdering people. I think that on some level Callie must have some cool toughness herself, just by virtue of what she's accomplished, but like Shonda Rimes (who also gets heralded as a great TV writer for women), she tends to embrace a lot of negative stereotypes, including the one that says we all desperately need men and romantic relationships (no matter how screwed up they are) to survive.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 2

I actually think the writers want us to like Luke.  They tweeted last night about the amazing chemistry Will Chase has with Connie Britton - are we watching the same show?? When they are making out I have to look away or fast forward.

Unbelievable! They are as delusional as..well, Rayna. 

• Love 2

Deacon's new love interest: "Buy a girl a cup of coffee?"  Buy your own coffee with your senior citizen discount, casting fail/new character no one wanted.  She looks like a meth-addict prostitute from Sons of Anarchy.  

Gunnar has too many love interests.  Two need to die in a fire.

Gunnar doesn't deal with one very well, let alone three.  At the rate the show is going with adding new characters,  I wouldn't  be surprised if a few more turn up.

Also, I'm mean for saying this, but the meth prostitutes on SoA might take offense at this!

I'm officially "burnt" on Rayna. She and Luke deserve each other. For someone who wants to keep her private life private, she sure does hash out a lot of her drama on stage. Literally, ON STAGE! Hope they go four-wheelin' off into the sunset. And seriously, a ball and chain tatoo? 

Yes she does!  The whole committee planning the wedding and discussing their stupid couple-name was gaggy.  It would have been creepy enough to send me running for the hills and taking out a restraining order.  Their relationship is beginning to seem like as much of a business arrangement as Will/Layla.

Why, exactly, is Rayna the only person to whom Juliette can talk? Was there a disaster of some sort that wiped out all the medical, psychiatric and clergy personnel in all of Nashville? Rayna is with Luke and used to be married to Teddy; clearly she's not that bright.

Luke does look exactly like a potato one might throw out because it's getting a little soft.  And, I consistently find his behavior to be creepy.  Too bad he never hooked up with Peggy, they would have been the ideal match.

The only relationship or parenting advice Rayna could give at this point would be what NOT to do.

I like Teddy, despite all the madness in season 2.  They do need to give him something to do other than sit in bars hoping for a story arc..

I agree!  And I don't blame him for what Maddie got away with last night.  Wearing one thing out of the house, then changing into something else and giving a less than completely accurate description of where you're going are pretty standard teenager moves.

Also, letting Daphne go bowling with her friend instead of keeping him company actually demonstrated that he cared more about her happiness than his own.  Maybe Juliette should seek advice from Teddy, instead of Rayna.

What did make me see red is this bizarre focus on reaching more women but not really involving any women. Particularly all the stuff with Jeff and Sadie Stone and Scarlett and her boss.

It also seemed incongruous of Jeff to allow Luke(who supposedly has a lot of female fans) to have his pukefest onstage with Rayna, but to not allow Will and Layla onstage together because it would hurt Will's standing with his female fans?

Or, is it just that Jeff really hates Layla that much?  I know someone else here asked why.  To me, it seemed he originally signed her to annoy and outperform Rayna and Juliette.  When she didn't deliver, he seemed to pretty much  cut her loose in Season 2.

Edited by JLG

I think the writers are drawing parallels with Avery/Juliette and Rayna/Deacon. Pregnant with an alcoholic's baby (at least Avery is heading that way). I am hoping that Rayna tells Juliette that Avery must know about the baby, and if he wants nothing to do with it, then it is at least his decision. And don't wait 15 years to do it.

"Layna/Ruke" - I too, hate those stupid combo nicknames, so don't give yourself one. okay? I wanted to like Luke, mainly because I think Deacon and Rayna are toxic. Sure, they love each other, but can they be together forever without the sky falling around them? However Luke is showing his true manipulative colors now, and I think Rayna will catch on, eventually.

Will/Layla. I loved their song together. I like that Layla is playing Jeff's game with Jeff, and hopefully winning. Jeff is a scumbag. Which I guess means that Oliver Hudson is a great actor because I have always loved him in his other roles.

Maddie/Scarlet - yes, let them write and sing together!!

Gunnar - only like him singing and writing. He needs to get rid of all the women in his life and concentrate on that .

Deacon and skank/Avery and skank - no more on my TV, please

Avery broke my heart at the end.

More music! (but not sappy love songs from Luke)

• Love 1

Watching last nights episode if you didn't see seasons 1 and 2 you would never believe that Rayna Jaymes was ever IN LOVE with Deacon Claybourne.

I want Callie and Co to stop using Deacon as a mail whore. My god can't they just let him say NO Thanks when someone comes to his hotel room looking like a street walker. Where, what are they going for with Deacon going down that road of one night stands. I thought he wanted to be a better person since he now has a daughter.

MM - If that's Callies way of writing female characters then I don't think we have a chance of Rayna waking up anytime soon. In her interviews she's hinted that Deacon/Rayna as so broken maybe they can't be fixed. If that's the case, I'm done. I didn't sign on for a Rayna and LW couple.

I say Will Chase in a promo on the view his daughters had shirts that had Team Luke and he had on a shirt that said Team Deacon. A woman in the audience said she was a Team Deacon fan and he turned his back to her but said he was only joking. Even as Will Chase I don't like the guy.

• Love 1

Also, I wasn't clear about Juliette's brief conversation with Deacon in his dressing room?  When she said there was now someone else involved, did he understand she meant a baby?

Juliette needs some girlfriends. Stalking random acquaintances like Deacon and Rayna for life-coach advice is sad and pathetic, even for Juliette who always gets the short end of the stick. Despite their recent history, it almost would have made more sense for her to talk to Scarlet, if only for their mutual Avery connection.

Tired of Deacon being sad and having placeholder girlfriends.  Ditch them and all the other extraneous cast members nobody cares about.

Bring back the dog.

The only good thing about Layla getting back to her nasty is that I'd like to see Will whip out a bit of nasty too (and not the kind that happens in the locker room at the gym).

I have an inexplicable affection for Zoey, but they are making her the overly jealous overly possessive girlfriend.  Hate that.  Write her off the show rather than go that tired route.

• Love 1
The only relationship or parenting advice Rayna could give at this point would be what NOT to do.

Yes indeed, otherwise it's, "Well, what I did was lie to everyone about who the baby's father is, married my back-up guy, carried on an emotional affair with baby-daddy in front of my back-up guy husband, and then proceeded to lie for another 15 years about the baby-daddy until my daughter finally figured it out.  Good times."

• Love 3

Juliette needs some girlfriends. Stalking random acquaintances like Deacon and Rayna for life-coach advice is sad and pathetic, even for Juliette who always gets the short end of the stick. Despite their recent history, it almost would have made more sense for her to talk to Scarlet, if only for their mutual Avery connection.

She has Glenn and Emily who despite their "employee" status are probably the people who have been most loving, loyal, and supportive of her. But no, she chooses Rayna?? Because...she's Connie Britton? I mean, if I were pregnant by my drunk boyfriend, I'd want Connie Britton's advice too, but I wouldn't want Rayna's. I love Juliette, but 95.23% of her problems are self-inflicted.

Speaking of Juliette, what were the pills that spilled all over the floor. We know she's not on drugs. Tic tacs? Prenatal vitamins?

JLG: I didn't think Deacon got the baby from her third party comment. I thought he was saying, "Be honest about how you feel or stop jerking Avery around." But I could be wrong.

Edited by madam magpie

Also, I wasn't clear about Juliette's brief conversation with Deacon in his dressing room? When she said there was now someone else involved, did he understand she meant a baby?

I don't think he understood at all. Seems like he made the assumption that the other party was a man and not the little Averyette in her womb.

In who's twitter feed did they go on about the amazing chemistry between Connie and Will?? My fingers are yearning to tweet back.

It was @nashvillewrites

A lot of people did respond along the lines of "Are you kidding?"...

• Love 2

It's interesting reading the negative commentary about Rayna. I see what y'all are saying, but I feel like I'm watching a woman edging into an abusive relationship. Luke has managed to keep his shit together in front of Rayna that we've seen so far, but those days are numbered if he's going to be bitching out Deacon publicly backstage. Every advantage he's gained has come through putting Rayna on the spot in public, from that damn proposal to setting the wedding date. He never hesitates to press his advantage there, but manages to pull back on having a full-on, book-kicking tantrum. Rayna is caught up in pacifying him, and with every capitulation she's edging further and further into his clutches. Ironically, if Rayna were more like Juliette - more honky tonk and less Belle Meade -- I think she wouldn't be reacting this way. But her Southern Lady upbringing makes her not want to make scenes, so she soothes that dumbass not realizing she's giving away her agency. (It's also interesting to me that people still aren't sure what to think of Luke, the red flags have been flying for me all along but it just goes to show how insidious these toxic relationships can be, that they look so great on the outside...)

It hasn't been fun to watch but to me a part of Rayna died with Lamar and the revelation about his involvement with her mother's death. They played those beats for a couple of episodes, "Rayna's shut down", and I just assumed she still feels that way, or "feels" that way, or she would never have gotten involved with such a lightweight. Or maybe I'm just handwaving Rayna's arc, because I love looking at CB's face.

On another note, it's been amusing watching how they're concealing HP's pregnancy. Never known Juliette to spend so much time sitting.

• Love 9

Deacon acted like a petulant child dealing with Luke. You signed a contract. Luke is your boss, regardless of your personal feelings about him. He calls the shots. Getting a reputation for being difficult on tour probably isn't going to help a recovering alcoholic trying to launch a comeback in the music industry.

I disagree. Luke may be Deacon's boss, but he's not Maddie's father, he has no business telling Deacon what to do about Maddie and Deacon was right to put him on blast for it. Luke may be part of Rayna's life for now, but Deacon is Maddie's father forever.  IMO, If anyone's acting like a child, it's Luke, not Deacon.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 4

I sometimes feel like I only watch for Daphne's inevitable breakdown. Can the poor kid have one moment in her life that's just about her? Her snarking on Maddie was a great little moment, but so was her moment with Teddy. I adore her.

Daphne will be fine. Right now she's the only person on the show with a quality parent. Teddy should go to Washington DC or something and take Daphne with him. Bring them back to the show twice a year.

Maddie is the one heard for eventual breakdown, especially with all that cray-cray-Claybourne blood coursing through her body.

• Love 1

It's interesting reading the negative commentary about Rayna. I see what y'all are saying, but I feel like I'm watching a woman edging into an abusive relationship. Luke has managed to keep his shit together in front of Rayna that we've seen so far, but those days are numbered if he's going to be bitching out Deacon publicly backstage. Every advantage he's gained has come through putting Rayna on the spot in public, from that damn proposal to setting the wedding date. He never hesitates to press his advantage there, but manages to pull back on having a full-on, book-kicking tantrum. Rayna is caught up in pacifying him, and with every capitulation she's edging further and further into his clutches. Ironically, if Rayna were more like Juliette - more honky tonk and less Belle Meade -- I think she wouldn't be reacting this way. But her Southern Lady upbringing makes her not want to make scenes, so she soothes that dumbass not realizing she's giving away her agency. (It's also interesting to me that people still aren't sure what to think of Luke, the red flags have been flying for me all along but it just goes to show how insidious these toxic relationships can be, that they look so great on the outside...)

It hasn't been fun to watch but to me a part of Rayna died with Lamar and the revelation about his involvement with her mother's death. They played those beats for a couple of episodes, "Rayna's shut down", and I just assumed she still feels that way, or "feels" that way, or she would never have gotten involved with such a lightweight. Or maybe I'm just handwaving Rayna's arc, because I love looking at CB's face.

I would love it if you were right because it would be great if the writers gave the story and her characterisation more depth (not necessarily through an abusive relationship though) but I wonder if you are giving them too much credit? I love CB's face too.
  • Love 1

Yeah, MisterS, I was about to say exactly the same thing. I actually do wish we were watching a woman fall into an abusive relationship because at least then this would all be going someplace. But I really don't think that's where we're headed. I also know it's Connie Britton's face (and hair) that keeps me watching this crap show. Perhaps we all need a twelve-step program.

Edited by madam magpie

Why doesn't Layla go to Rayna's label to pursue her singing career.  I thought Rayna was desperate to sign new talent.  And it would have the added bonus of ticking off Jeff.

I recall Rayna not liking Layla.  Ditto Juliette.  So I feel like Highway 65 would be a no-go for her.

I still wondering if we're building towards Will eventually being outed, getting droped from Edgehill, and then going to Highway 65.

Edited by TeeVee329

I think the writers are drawing parallels with Avery/Juliette and Rayna/Deacon.

I personally feel the writers are forcing parallels. Yes, Avery is on an emotional post-breakup bender at the moment, but he isn't an alcoholic, and Juliette has no reason to worry that he would be a long-term danger to her or the baby. Rayna's historical motivations don't make sense for Juliette.

Now, if Juliette's situation forces Rayna to come to terms with some of the shit that she did (and the nonsense that she's currently doing), then I'm all for it, whether it makes sense or not. Whatever gets Ruke/Puke off my screen the fastest. Watching Rayna undress him last night was absolutely cringe-worthy, even before the tattoo reveal (the latter reminded me of that guy on the Bachelorette several seasons ago who got a tattoo to "guard and protect" Ali's heart, leading to her immediately dump his weirdo clingy ass on a ski slope. I mean, come on Rayna, who does that?)

• Love 3