Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: I Can't Get Over You to Save My Life

Yeah, MisterS, I was about to say exactly the same thing. I actually do wish we were watching a woman fall into an abusive relationship because at least then this would all be going someplace. But I really don't think that's where we're headed. I also know it's Connie Britton's face (and hair) that keeps me watching this crap show. Perhaps we all need a twelve-step program.

I totally agree and I wish I could give it up! Somewhere at the beginning of S1 the promise of what was to come got me. But the promise never quite came good. It's all over the place in my view in terms of story planning, writing and characterisation.

• Love 2

I can't quite get over what a butthole Rayna is being...on so many levels. The fact that she's engaged to Luke is one thing - she wasn't even trying to be remotely sensitive when she visited Luke during rehearsal regarding flaunting her "happiness" with Luke in front of Deacon. It just doesn't seem like her to me--if nothing else, she has always seemed to understand how Deacon feels about her and to honor it.

Plus, it adds to the general sadness that Rayna and her storyline are the weakest parts of the show rather than the strongest. I really can't tell anymore how much is intentional on the part of the writers, or how much is a byproduct of their not so good plot decisions.

• Love 3

Yeah I'm probably giving the writers too much credit. And admittedly this whole abuse/control arc hasn't been there in the writing so much as in the performance, I admit to looking hard for it in Rayna's eyes. Thing is though, on paper Luke and Deacon aren't much different. They both have anger management issues and aren't above being petty. I take that back, Luke is petty and passive aggressive, Deacon is rude and arrogant. They both are hard on furniture, though. So I guess Rayna has a type? But at least with Deacon I don't feel like he's trying to control her. He tries to will her to do things, but he doesn't manipulate her that way, because for him it's an all or nothing thing, she has to make the decision and the commitment.

I doubt this show would go so far as to have Rayna get totally meshed in an abusive relationship. I think she'll have a come-to-Jesus moment and snap out of this Luke-pleasing mode she's in. But the show has really squandered some good dramatic opportunities. Like, I know, because teenager, Maddie would fantasize about her mother and Deacon getting together. But we were never shown that she was thinking that way AT ALL. Rayna has been with Luke all along, before, during and after the Ft. Campbell Family Singalong. And all along Maddie has been harboring these secret dreams? I guess she's a lot like her father that way. Who knew he was ready to propose...until he proposed?

Why haven't we seen Rayna and Maddie talking more about Deacon? Those are important conversations, and not showing them or referring to them implies they never happened, which in turn makes Rayna seem like a shitty mother. What is going on with Rayna that she thinks its okay to get engaged in public and set a wedding date without having any kind of discussion about it with her daughters? Barely a year ago she was being up front with them about Teddy moving back out after her convalescence. To me she is acting out of character -- out of character to the woman I thought she was in Season 1. So I'm clinging to my "Rayna's on autopilot" theory until it's ripped from my cold, dead hands.

Poor Zooey. I thought last night was the best job Chaley Rose has done in terms of acting. Now they throw in this this lame spoiler Kylie, who is a red herring IMO. She'll distract Zooey from the real threat to her relationship - Scarlett, of course. dun dun DUN. or dumb dumb DUMB. No one cares. It's criminal how someone as cute as Gunnar can be such a putz.

• Love 3

Not sure if this was on purpose, but I cracked up when they cut from that photographer taking a "Selfie" (ABC product placement!  Heh) with Luke/Rayna, straight to Juliette barfing in the toilet.  I agree with Juliette.

I swear, it actually amazes me whenever Rayna and Juliette are actually in a scene together.  I still remember when this show first premiered, and it's entire premise was basically "Hey, lets watch Connie Britton and Hayden Panettierre face-off with each other, and be awesome!", and now, they're basically off doing their own things.  It feels like a rare thing, whenever they are sighted together. So, I'm glad it's happening, but yeah, Juliette?  Just listen to what Rayna has to say, and do the opposite.

If they really wanted Deacon to rebound, I just wished they found some way to bring back that fling played by Charlotte Ross, from last season.  They had a bit of a spark, at least.  I wasn't feeling this at all.

Jeff vs. Layla is going to be awesome!  Why?  Because no matter who loses, I win!  It's the smug, arrogant, sexist, corporate jackass vs. the crazy-eyed, insane, manipulating popstar!  I hate them both!  Still, my guess is Layla will come up ahead for now, but eventually, Jeff's many years of experience of being an asshole, will hand him the victory of evil over her.

Oh, Avery.  This is just going to get worse and worse.

Ah, now this is the Luke I remember.  The guy is holding together in front of Rayna for now, but the jackass Deacon is seeing is bound to come roaring out to everyone else soon.

Wow, do I not care about Gunnar/Zoey.  Both of them just can't communicate with each other at all, and that is a huge problem. Gunnar needs to stop avoiding things, and Zoey needs to start saying when and why she's getting upset with him, and not just hide it, until it boils over.  These two are so doomed.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but.... poor Ted?

Scarlett and Maddie was better then I expected.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 1

I really hope they don't go down this obvious road of Avery becoming an alcoholic. 

I also think if they mean for the Patsy Cline biopic to be a terrible Lifetime Original-style biopic and not actually a major motion picture with any credibility, they have nailed it. Those scenes from the movie are so hilariously bad!

• Love 3

Amen to your entire post, rubyred. I also appreciate your faith and loyalty. I hope you're right about Rayna being on autopilot because then I will be able to like her again.

But at least with Deacon I don't feel like he's trying to control her. He tries to will her to do things, but he doesn't manipulate her that way, because for him it's an all or nothing thing, she has to make the decision and the commitment.

See...I think Deacon tries to talk her into doing the things he knows she she really wants, and that's borne from their having such an intimate relationship for so long. If Rayna really wanted Deacon to back off, if she really loved Luke only and was thrilled to be his wife, all she'd have to do is tell Deacon, "I am not in love with you anymore. I don't feel it, and I don't want it." And then she could MOVE AWAY FROM HIM when he touches her. She doesn't do any of that, though, so we (and he) know she's lying. Luke, on the other hand, doesn't know her at all but has somehow managed to convince her to change her entire personality to suit him. I can't figure that part out. But I don't actually think he manipulates her; I think Rayna either truly wants to be the icky person she is with Luke or she wants to continue hiding from the reality of how she feels about Deacon. Either way, I blame her, not Luke, for the person she is right now. I think that's also why I don't see her falling into some kind of abusive situation. Rayna's never really said "no" to Luke, so we have no idea how he'd react to that. She just tentatively puts something she wants out there, he balks, she apologizes, and then he does what she wants usually. That's her fault, not his. Luke's just being Luke (which is a jackass, but I mean, he's just that guy).

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

It also seemed incongruous of Jeff to allow Luke(who supposedly has a lot of female fans) to have his pukefest onstage with Rayna, but to not allow Will and Layla onstage together because it would hurt Will's standing with his female fans?

Luke is already successful so there isn't much Jeff can stop him from doing. Will just released his album and it's falling on the charts quickly. He definitely has more control over him. Plus Luke might skew towards an older female audience.

I also think if they mean for the Patsy Cline biopic to be a terrible Lifetime Original-style biopic and not actually a major motion picture with any credibility, they have nailed it. Those scenes from the movie are so hilariously bad!

Thank you.  That makes perfect sense.  Juliette takes on a weird affectation in her voice when doing Patsy; sounds more British than Tennessee.  Is Derek Hough supposed to be Leonardo DiCaprio?  Here's hoping the baby kills this storyline quickly.

If it weren't for Will's story, I'd dump this show.

I really hope they don't go down this obvious road of Avery becoming an alcoholic. 

I also think if they mean for the Patsy Cline biopic to be a terrible Lifetime Original-style biopic and not actually a major motion picture with any credibility, they have nailed it. Those scenes from the movie are so hilariously bad

Agree - no desire to see Avery become an alcoholic. There doesn't appear to be an organic story line for him so they will add in some unnecessary drama.

I was thinking the same thing about the Patsy Cline movie - just awful. And Derek Hough with his weird little mustache isn't making it any better.

Jeff vs. Layla is going to be awesome!  Why?  Because no matter who loses, I win!  It's the smug, arrogant, sexist, corporate jackass vs. the crazy-eyed, insane, manipulating popstar!  I hate them both!  Still, my guess is Layla will come up ahead for now, but eventually, Jeff's many years of experience of being an asshole, will hand him the victory of evil over her.

Perfect descriptions of two characters that I loathe. Jeff is such a supreme asshole that he will eventually win out. I wish that Mario Van Peebles would show up in every episode to admonish him.

But I don't actually think he manipulates her; I think Rayna either truly wants to be the icky person she is with Luke or she wants to continue hiding from the reality of how she feels about Deacon. Either way, I blame her, not Luke, for the person she is right now. I think that's also why I don't see her falling into some kind of abusive situation. Rayna's never really said "no" to Luke, so we have no idea how he'd react to that. She just tentatively puts something she wants out there, he balks, she apologizes, and then he does what she wants usually. That's her fault, not his. Luke's just being Luke (which is a jackass, but I mean, he's just that guy).

Wow, I think this must be the first time I've disagreed with you! While I think you're right in that Rayna does have agency here, I think Luke is a master manipulator and he's pulling Rayna's strings like crazy. She doesn't want to talk about their wedding date in a corporate board room - he bats his eyes and talks her into it; she balks at a November 1st date and he talks her into it 'cause heaven forbid they wait until next year; he doesn't like that she wants to move the wedding date out of concern for her daughter - he gets pissy and hangs up on her, prompting her to go to his side when he finally apologizes. I would include the very public proposal (no way to say no to that, or take it back later), and the quite public displays of affection. Rayna's not heading into an abusive relationship, she's already in one, and she's allowing herself to be pulled in even more deeply.

I don't know who this Rayna is, but she's not the Rayna I know from Season 1. Things change, I know, but not entire personalities. And if you have to change your personality just to hold on to your boyfriend, it's time to get another boyfriend. 

• Love 5

I loved this episode. Scarlett was finally awesome, although Maddie was being an idiot. She's 15 though, so I suppose it's par for the course. Avery's song was beautiful and Deacon, while frustrating, is always great. It will probably never happen because of all their romantic history, but I so wish Avery, Gunnar, Zoey and Scarlett would form a group. They could be like Little Big Town with awesome harmonies, and it would actually give Zoey something to do other than just be a jealous girlfriend.

• Love 1
I don't know who this Rayna is, but she's not the Rayna I know from Season 1. Things change, I know, but not entire personalities. And if you have to change your personality just to hold on to your boyfriend, it's time to get another boyfriend.

Say you and me and every sane person on the planet, but it's Rayna who is choosing to keep the guy she's got. Until she actually pushes Luke away and he blackmails her or something, this is all her own fault. She has nothing but options before her, and there's absolutely no reason that she'd be doing this with Luke unless she wanted to. He's not abusing her or making her do anything or controlling her money (or even yelling at her or accidentally clocking her in the face or losing all her money in an embezzling scheme); he's just being his primadonna, fame whore, jackassy self. He has a right to be like that. Some chicks dig it. If Rayna doesn't like it, she can say so and leave. But she never does! She just pushes a little and then decides, "Meh, OK. I was wrong. Shallow and pathetic really are the best routes here. I love you, Luke!" Sure he's a petty manchild when it comes to Deacon, but really, all he did to Rayna was get pissy and hang up on her. She's the one who chartered a jet and flew out to see him and apologize. And she shows no fear of him or his reactions at all. I actually think Rayna is jerking both Luke and Deacon around here. Every time Luke backs away from her because of Deacon, she reels him back in. Every time Deacon pulls back, she reels him back in. There was no reason for her to go to Deacon's house to talk to him about telling Maddie about the proposal except that she wanted to see him and scold him in person. (And don't think the hypocrisy of the woman who is marrying a guy she's been dating all of six months while ignoring her kids saying "It's our job to make this easier on Maddie" is lost on me.) Rayna is the one who's manipulating things here. She's super messed up and whatever right now and she's Connie Britton, so if she'd shape up we could all (OK, maybe not airwair) forgive her, but dang. She's doing this to herself...and to her kids and Deacon and Luke (and I hate that guy!). I totally blame Rayna for everything that's going wrong right now. And that's not a happy place for me to be!

Edited by madam magpie

It's interesting reading the negative commentary about Rayna. I see what y'all are saying, but I feel like I'm watching a woman edging into an abusive relationship. Luke has managed to keep his shit together in front of Rayna that we've seen so far, but those days are numbered if he's going to be bitching out Deacon publicly backstage. Every advantage he's gained has come through putting Rayna on the spot in public, from that damn proposal to setting the wedding date. He never hesitates to press his advantage there, but manages to pull back on having a full-on, book-kicking tantrum. Rayna is caught up in pacifying him, and with every capitulation she's edging further and further into his clutches. Ironically, if Rayna were more like Juliette - more honky tonk and less Belle Meade -- I think she wouldn't be reacting this way. But her Southern Lady upbringing makes her not want to make scenes, so she soothes that dumbass not realizing she's giving away her agency. (It's also interesting to me that people still aren't sure what to think of Luke, the red flags have been flying for me all along but it just goes to show how insidious these toxic relationships can be, that they look so great on the outside...)

It hasn't been fun to watch but to me a part of Rayna died with Lamar and the revelation about his involvement with her mother's death. They played those beats for a couple of episodes, "Rayna's shut down", and I just assumed she still feels that way, or "feels" that way, or she would never have gotten involved with such a lightweight. Or maybe I'm just handwaving Rayna's arc, because I love looking at CB's face.

On another note, it's been amusing watching how they're concealing HP's pregnancy. Never known Juliette to spend so much time sitting.

I would LOVE if the writers went with this and explored an emotionally abusive relationship. I don't trust that they are this smart or subtle, but it would be fascinating to see on TV, because I've mostly only seen physically abusive ones. This dynamic of the woman avoiding confrontation and placating a man with a temper happened in my own life, and it would be interesting to see this as the reason why she loses herself and her "real" personality. It could also help me like her more again, if she realizes it and comes back all awesome. Here's hoping.

• Love 3

Yes, bring back Charlotte Ross she was very beautiful and seemed like a nice person and she had a big crush on Deacon. Didn't she have a drinking problem that's why she doesn't go to bars and least both of them would have something in common.

She has turned into a shallow woman like some men keeping 2, 3 woman pulling the strings making sure they stay in line by telling them things they want to her. I have grown to dislike (hate) this Rayna Jaymes character.. Series I dislike (hate) your main character so much that if and when she comes to her senses I won't be able to ever like or forgive her character, unless in an episode she passes out rushed to the hospital wakes up and says "Where an I' "What year is it".

Reading these postings you guys really have a handle on this series to bad the writer don't.

• Love 1

"Deacon's new love interest: "Buy a girl a cup of coffee?" Buy your own coffee with your senior citizen discount, casting fail/new character no one wanted. She looks like a meth-addict prostitute from Sons of Anarchy."

HAAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAA love. (The comment, not Leather McGraw.)

• Love 5

Speaking of Juliette, what were the pills that spilled all over the floor. We know she's not on drugs. Tic tacs? Prenatal vitamins?

Altoids?

After she first appeared on screen, I fully expected to come here and read that "Pam" was a real-life country backup singer with a long career to whom they'd given a small part, because she didn't seem right otherwise. Unfortunately I was wrong.

• Love 1

Not sure if this was on purpose, but I cracked up when they cut from that photographer taking a "Selife" (ABC product placement!  Heh) with Luke/Rayna, straight to Juliette barfing in the toilet.  I agree with Juliette.

Ha!!! I said the same thing!

EB - Posted quotes in last night episode, which I missed in that last scene, maybe Pam wasn't that much of a loser as she picked up on the drama at the concert between Deacon, Rayna and LW.

Deacon: You gotta be the only damn woman in the world that doesn't know I'm in love with Rayna Jaymes.

Pam: Well from what I saw tonight, she's in love with someone else so that makes you crazy, stupid or both. Someone telling Deacon straight to his face that he's crazy, stupid or both. Now if we can get some others to do the same maybe there's a chance he can move on to (bring back) Charlotte Ross character.

• Love 1

Hahahaha, I was pretty angry last night.

I think eventually I could come to forgive Rayna, it would just take boat loads of groveling and her admitting she has been wrong and actually working hard to fix the problems that have arisen as a result.

My fear is that Callie will never allow that to happen and she will continue to play the saint martyr, even when her relationship with Luke inevitably crumbles.

My biggest beef is with the writers and how this woman on my screen now is so different from the one I adored in season 1. I mean I thought lobotomies were rare these days.

• Love 1
My biggest beef is with the writers and how this woman on my screen now is so different from the one I adored in season 1.

That is the greatest disappointment of this show. Fo sho. And I have no idea why they did it or if they plan to fix her.

• Love 1

I wish Rayna WAS Tammy Taylor because god knows that's exactly who Juliette needs right now....

In all seriousness though. I thought after the s2 finale that they would have Rayna be awesome and a mentor and have these two power women work together. Remember how Rayna was all sympathetic with drunk Juliette? And how they both took down Jeff and rocked that duet (ish)? More of that please!

Edited by hqtextbook
  • Love 3

"My fear is that Callie will never allow that to happen and she will continue to play the saint martyr, even when her relationship with Luke inevitably crumbles."

My fear is that Callie doesn't even see a problem. At this point, the only "couple" I want to see riding off into the sunset together is Deacon and Maddie. After last night Ruke can have each other!

• Love 1

Hated Rayna when she was talking on the phone, explaining why she had to change the wedding date.  It sounded like she was put out because her daughter wanted to spend time with her newly known dad on a fishing date.  I know Maddie is being difficult, but she is not being an understanding considerate mother.

Watching Juliette as patsy makes me think of one of my fave movies from childhood;  Sweet Dreams with Jessica Lange as Patsy Cline.  That movie was great, this movie is gonna blow chunks.

• Love 2

I am also put off by Rayna's attitude toward Maddie. In episode 2 when she expressed that there may be some resentment about Luke, Rayna all but rolled her eyes. She did the same last night talking to Bucky about Maddie's trip.

Seriously? So sorry you find your daughter ridiculous.

I also love how she asked Maddie to be respectful of the wedding-- I guess the same way Luke was respectful of Maddie and Daphne both when he proposed right in front of them.

Edited by airwair
  • Love 3

she wasn't even trying to be remotely sensitive when she visited Luke during rehearsal regarding flaunting her "happiness" with Luke in front of Deacon

See, I think Rayna is desperately trying to convince herself and Deacon and everybody else that Luke is the Won. I didn't see her as deliberately flaunting Luke to Deacon, I saw her trying to say again and again, this is my choice, believe me, please believe me.  And Deacon knows her well enough to realise she's just lying to herself. Yes, she's bringing a world of hurt to her family and the men in her life, but I don't think she has a nasty agenda. She's just being an idiot. 

Luke strikes me as a classic narcissist and controller.  He'll adore Rayna until she disobeys him and then we will see the abuse start, if the show has the cojones to go there. 

• Love 2
See, I think Rayna is desperately trying to convince herself and Deacon and everybody else that Luke is the Won. I didn't see her as deliberately flaunting Luke to Deacon, I saw her trying to say again and again, this is my choice, believe me, please believe me.  And Deacon knows her well enough to realise she's just lying to herself. Yes, she's bringing a world of hurt to her family and the men in her life, but I don't think she has a nasty agenda. She's just being an idiot.

I don't think she's exactly being purposefully cruel, but I do think that on some level she's mad at Deacon for rocking the boat and is making him pay a little. Letting Luke rub their engagement in Deacon's face serves several purposes for Rayna, one of which being definitely that she can continue to lie to herself and everyone else. Another is that she can stick it to him a bit for forcing her to confront things (even if she's still burying the confrontation). If Rayna wanted to, she could ask Luke to let Deacon out of the tour so that they could all go their separate ways and try to heal and so that Deacon could spend time with Maddie. But Rayna's a self-absorbed asshole now. What Deacon and Maddie need is fairly low on her priority list. I also do think that Callie and Co. believe that Luke and Rayna are in the right. That's probably the biggest reason I don't think Luke's going to turn psycho. The writing staff seems to see him as a great guy and what he's doing as romantic. I hope I'm wrong, but it just really looks that way from what they say and what they have Rayna do.

• Love 1

I was just so mystified by Rayna last night. The complete lack of warmth in her interaction with Deacon, her seeming inability to stand up for herself with Luke, letting herself be led into decisions she wasn't behind, her sneering when talking about Maddie, flying out to Luke because he wasn't the center of her universe for once and hung up on her, and finally her agreement that there would be no more Deacon once they were married. Sorry kids, Deacon is Maddie's Dad and that doesn't change just because Luke is an insecure jackass. I just don't know who Rayna is supposed to be anymore and that concerns me. Is there a plan herevor has she just been lost?

• Love 3

I think I read that the show was very eager to sign Connie Britton to the show, to where she didn't have to audition and they told her don't worry about your singing just join the show. So maybe the writers feel beholden to her and thus the constant pandering to her character.

And based only on this show, I don't think Connie Britton is a very good actress. I know many are in love with her from other roles, but this is the only thing I've seen her in. And compared to the rest of the cast, especially Hayden, she is a piece of wood.

• Love 2

I don't get why this show keeps insisting Rayna is too old, when actual woman of country music are doing just fine selling albums and concert tickets even beyond Rayna's age. And even in the first season, when they said she wasn't selling concert tickets because her newest album wasn't a hit...fans who liked all the previous albums would still buy tickets, because they always play the stuff people loved from their old albums (at least the people I've seen in concert did). It annoys me.

Midru: Connie Britton is great! Don't judge her just by what this show has become. Watch Friday Night Lights; she's wonderful in that, and it's extremely well written. She's also good in American Horror Story and even in that Ed Burns movie The Fizgerald Family Christmas, which is oddly disjointed, but her scenes with Ed Burns are the most natural in the fillm. She was fun in Spin City back in the day too.

I don't get why this show keeps insisting Rayna is too old, when actual woman of country music are doing just fine selling albums and concert tickets even beyond Rayna's age.

This has always seemed really strange to me as well. I know they aren't packing arenas like Miranda Lambert, but people like Faith Hill, Martina McBride, Reba McEntire, Alison Krauss, Mary Chapin Carpenter, even Roseanne Cash, they're all still playing and have ready-made, loyal audiences. Doesn't Shania Twain have a Vegas show? Hell, Dolly Parton is in her late 60s and she's a legend. If Rayna is supposed to be in that league as far as fame goes, I don't understand why she can't just evolve a bit as a musician...and why her advisors (hello, Bucky) don't bring it up. Not even Johnny Cash was a superstar everywhere all the time. My aunt saw him play some teensy little hotel conference room in the 1970s in Honolulu and was stunned by how small the crowd was. And that's Johnny freakin Cash! If Rayna's been doing this job for 20+ years, there's no way this is her first time meeting the ebb and flow of a career in entertainment. She just has to evolve. Everyone knows that. I find it really hard to believe that she's so dumb as to not see it and and to be so unwilling to try different things to find a new groove.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

Aside from the ridiculousness of a sudden "honeymoon tour," which y'all have already mentioned, one thing that really annoys me is the cheap way the concerts are staged. The screens in back literally just say "Luke Wheeler," as if a sixth grader was fooling around with a wacky typeface in powerpoint. That is not how arena tours look and it really wouldn't be that hard to create some kind of vaguely realistic look for a tour that is featured on screen so frequently. The art direction on this show is just sad sometimes. 

Also, what in the world is happening with Scarlett's hair/wig? She'd look so much cuter with a bob or something. 

I was pleasantly surprised that they cast an older actress as the backup singer, but I find it hard to believe that Luke Wheeler would hire her as opposed to some young thing. She is probably age appropriate for Deacon though.

Edited by OhYouMen

There was no reason for her to go to Deacon's house to talk to him about telling Maddie about the proposal except that she wanted to see him and scold him in person. (And don't think the hypocrisy of the woman who is marrying a guy she's been dating all of six months while ignoring her kids saying "It's our job to make this easier on Maddie" is lost on me.) Rayna is the one who's manipulating things here.

I disagree. There was every reason for her to talk to Deacon. For him to have told Maddie that he proposed and Rayna turned him down? Really? He thought that was good parenting? "It's not my fault, it's all your mother's fault. You could have the pretty princess life you deserve if only your mother weren't so wrong." That's basically what he was saying. He was throwing Rayna under the bus in order to make sure that Maddie wasn't angry with him. And this is not the first time that Deacon has told Maddie something meant only for the adults to know.

And though Rayna will not see her kids as much while she's on tour, the same is true of Deacon. Is he ignoring Maddie by working? It has always been clear that Rayna is a very involved parent when she's home with the kids. Yes, her job takes her out of town, but when she's been home, she has been there.

I think Rayna makes mistakes, and in fact her behavior with Luke is a reboot of what she did with Teddy way back when. She is choosing what she considers the "safe" partner (though we all have our suspicions), rather then continuing in her roller coaster relationship with Deacon. Is Deacon her one true love? Probably. But is she required to be with him? No. Not because of his feelings, not because of Maddie's desires. Deacon loving her does not make her evil for choosing Luke.

I love the show, but think all the characters can be equally frustrating. Will hiding the fact that he's gay and having his personal choices driving him to the brink of imploding? We've seen that multiple times. Deacon is unhappy and takes a drink. Juliette gets hurt and acts out, in totally self-destructive ways. And doing the exact same thing is Avery. Gunnar is in love with this girl but making doe-eyes at another. Scarlet is just generally glum and Maddie is a brat. If the writers are consistent about anything it's in how repetitively they write each of these characters. 

• Love 4

I want Will to be happy, dammit. I'm hoping that Layla and Jeff blow each other up so they can get off my screen.

I also want Juliette to be happy. I'm sick of watching that poor girl get her heart kicked all over the place. Avery is hurt, so I give him a pass on a few days of drunkeness and angst. That was this episode, dude. Next week, you better have your shit right.

Mr. Patsy Kline is yuck.

I wish I cared about Zoey, but she's too jealous and non-communicative with Gunner. I did like her one-liner about the skank who *accidentally* left her panties at Avery's. Who does that? 

I did love Scarlett and Maddie together. So happy she had someone to look out for her. 

I think Rayna will pull out her inner Tami Taylor to help Juliette out. Really all she has to say is, "don't do what I did." 

Rayna. I see her relationship with Luke as emotionally abusive. That public proposal, that move he pulled at the meeting with their people...he's very manipulative. She couldn't very well say no to his proposal on stage. I didn't think she was comfortable giving much push back about the wedding date in front of all of those people. But she said several times that November was too soon. Luke didn't care. And in the end, he's getting his way (at least so far). She had to come up with something to appease him, hence, the Honeymoon tour for four more weeks of wedding/emotional prep. 

Why is it her responsibility to make Deacon comfortable around her and her fiance? Who does that?? Why should she involve herself in Deacon and Luke's tour arrangement? Deacon is a grown ass man. And she's NOT with him. Just like he said it wasn't his job to make it easy on her, it's not hers to make it easy on him. 

That said, I do think she's trying to convince herself that she's making the right choice. I doubt that she can see how she's changed because she's trying so hard to be that woman. The one that is in love with Luke and is choosing this life. Tandi isn't there to smack some sense into her, so it's going to have to come some other way. Maybe while helping Juliette...

Also, why are Luke's kids so happy about this wedding? I don't see this as a Brady bunch blended family at all. Daphne would probably be cool, but Maddie? *snorts*

• Love 1
I was pleasantly surprised that they cast an older actress as the backup singer, but I find it hard to believe that Luke Wheeler would hire her as opposed to some young thing. She is probably age appropriate for Deacon though.

I agree with you that she is probably age appropriate for Deacon.   And all this snarking about her looking old makes me kind of sad.  Deacon has way more lines and wrinkles than she does, but he's a guy so he's still considered "hot".  Life is so unfair... especially if you're female and past a certain age.

• Love 7

I don't think the issue with Pam is so much that she's older. I mean, she's probably not older than Connie Britton, whom most people agree is stunning. And Charlotte Ross is has to be in her late forties at least, but we all liked her. The issue with Pam is that she's hard. She's got a very worn look about her and she was incredibly pushy with Deacon. It's also a little odd that she'd be so gung-ho to sleep with a guy who was clearly in love with someone else. None of that makes her a bad person, but it does stand out. I definitely prefer that Deacon's not banging some 20 year old kid, though, so good job there, show.

There was every reason for her to talk to Deacon. For him to have told Maddie that he proposed and Rayna turned him down? Really? He thought that was good parenting?

I still think it was fine for Deacon to tell Maddie he proposed, but sure. If Rayna wanted to talk to him about it, that's OK. It didn't require a special trip to his house, though. That's a perfectly legit phone call-type conversation. It's also incredibly hypocritical of her, though, to call out anyone's parenting right now. Rayna is failing miserably with Maddie. Deacon (and Teddy) at least is trying to hear and comfort her. He didn't do anything that required an in-person scolding from Rayna. She did that because his telling Maddie the truth made the situation uncomfortable for Rayna, not Maddie, and because she wanted to see him. Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

I don't think the issue with Pam is so much that she's older. I mean, she's probably not older than Connie Britton, whom most people agree is stunning. And Charlotte Ross is has to be in her late forties at least, but we all liked her. The issue with Pam is that she's hard. She's got a very worn look about her and she was incredibly pushy with Deacon. It's also a little odd that she'd be so gung-ho to sleep with a guy who was clearly in love with someone else. None of that makes her a bad person, but it does stand out. I definitely prefer that Deacon's not banging some 20 year old kid, though, so good job there, show.I still think it was fine for Deacon to tell Maddie he proposed, but sure. If Rayna wanted to talk to him about it, that's OK. It didn't require a special trip to his house, though. That's a perfectly legit phone call-type conversation. It's also incredibly hypocritical of her, though, to call out anyone's parenting right now. Rayna is failing miserably with Maddie. Deacon (and Teddy) at least is trying to hear and comfort her. He didn't do anything that required an in-person scolding from Rayna. She did that because his telling Maddie the truth made the situation uncomfortable for Rayna, not Maddie, and because she wanted to see him.

Oops, forgot to add to the quote above that if that's what they were trying to show by Rayna showing up at Deacon's house, then it's too subtle for me. I agree that sometimes this show can be subtle or surprising but often it's the opposite. But right now they need to show more about Rayna's motivation or thought processes otherwise she's going to stay unsympathetic and mostly unconvincing. Which is such a downer and a waste of CB's talents.

Why is it her responsibility to make Deacon comfortable around her and her fiance? Who does that?? Why should she involve herself in Deacon and Luke's tour arrangement? Deacon is a grown ass man. And she's NOT with him. Just like he said it wasn't his job to make it easy on her, it's not hers to make it easy on him."

As she said to Deacon, it's all about making it easier on their daughter. Having Deacon around while she was gone would be a positive for Maddie and Luke has the option of letting Deac out of his contract. (Why he wants to carry someone he clearly doesn't like around the country fot a 15 minute set is beyond me.) Presumably Rayna has some pull with Luke and could get him to do just that in the name of family happiness.

• Love 2

Why is it her responsibility to make Deacon comfortable around her and her fiance? Who does that?? Why should she involve herself in Deacon and Luke's tour arrangement? Deacon is a grown ass man. And she's NOT with him. Just like he said it wasn't his job to make it easy on her, it's not hers to make it easy on him."

I disagree. Maddie is one reason why she need to take the high road. But even just between the two of them, she should have enough class and compassion not to grind her new relationship in the face of the man whose proposal she just turned down. She's the one holding all the cards, she's (ostensibly) happy with her choice, she knows she broke Deacon's heart, and throughout the show it's always been shown that she cares about him on some level - it's beneath her (and frankly completely out of character) for her to turn the screws even harder.

• Love 3

Oops, forgot to add to the quote above that if that's what they were trying to show by Rayna showing up at Deacon's house, then it's too subtle for me. I agree that sometimes this show can be subtle or surprising but often it's the opposite. But right now they need to show more about Rayna's motivation or thought processes otherwise she's going to stay unsympathetic and mostly unconvincing. Which is such a downer and a waste of CB's talents.

Agreed. I'm definitely extrapolating, but it made sense to me. Otherwise, why in the world go all the way over there to have that conversation? Though I suppose it could also just be that the writers didn't think it through. Either way, I do think it was all about Rayna. She was uncomfortable with Maddie knowing about the proposal. Maddie was mad about it, but she wasn't scarred by the fact that Deacon told her. Rayna was upset.

she's probably not older than Connie Britton, whom most people agree is stunning. And Charlotte Ross is has to be in her late forties at least, but we all liked her.

Charlotte Ross is 46 and Connie Britton is 47. I looked up the actress who plays Pam and her birthdate isn't listed but I agree that the issue isn't necessarily her age but that her face makes her look like she has lived most of her life drinking, smoking, and not wearing sunscreen. I mean, when you think of it that way, she was probably a lot of fun to be around!

• Love 1

Charlotte Ross is 46 and Connie Britton is 47. I looked up the actress who plays Pam and her birthdate isn't listed but I agree that the issue isn't necessarily her age but that her face makes her look like she has lived most of her life drinking, smoking, and not wearing sunscreen. I mean, when you think of it that way, she was probably a lot of fun to be around!

Charlotte Ross is only 46?! Boy, I feel like she's been around forever, but then again, maybe I'm just dating myself. ;)

Most excellent point about Pam being fun. She probably was/is! And in theory, she's probably a good match for Deacon, who's kind of a man whore when he can't have Rayna and who also looks pretty hard. But see, I want better for Deacon, not someone who might hand him a shot at a party or light up a joint in his room. Plus, the character is the one who's hard, not necessarily the actress herself. I know nothing about the actress.

Edited by madam magpie

Adding to the discussion about her on some level sill being respectful of him and not twisting the knife... Remember the country club appearance from season 1? When she automatically assumed Deacon would be uncomfortable playing at a fundraiser for Teddy and told Bucky to find another guitar player?

Then she was so crushed and drowning in her own turmoil when it turned out they couldn't get along for 30 seconds.

I don't know what this Rayna is thinking, but I would at least like to have the version of her back that knows the two of then shouldn't be in the same room.

(On that note... I am still all for that daddy's and daughters trip to Dollywood. ASAP, please.)

Also... Pam does seen fun. She seems like the kind of fun who will have Deacon turning into an adrenaline junkie to substitute for alcohol and putting out cigarettes on his arm. This won't end well.

Edited by airwair
  • Love 1