Type keyword(s) to search

The Relationships Thread: The Cardiac Wing

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

She did know better. The people that she called out were people like Carly who were liars and manipulators.

And Karen and Dante. It's not Robin the character so much as the way her perceived goodness was used to whitewash Sonny/Jason - though honestly, the tone she used when engaging in that activity was grating af. And it became a big part of her character. One of the best things about Scrubs was that Robin spent less time carrying water for Sonny and Jason.

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 2
55 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

And Karen and Dante. It's not Robin the character so much as the way her perceived goodness was used to whitewash Sonny/Jason - though honestly, the tone she used when engaging in that activity was grating af. And it became a big part of her character. One of the best things about Scrubs was that Robin spent less time carrying water for Sonny and Jason.

Robin was constantly calling out Karen and Dante? Or was that one scene? And I honestly don’t care to go into that Karen scene because it’s always used to rip into Robin and the context of the conversation is never brought up like....the fact that Robin wanted to leave, was accused of being a stripper, and it was HER humanity that was questioned by Karen. Robin didn’t start anything or try to attack anyone. She was put into a position where she was forced to defend her relationships, which were extremely convoluted.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, HeatLifer said:

Robin was constantly calling out Karen and Dante? Or was that one scene? And I honestly don’t care to go into that Karen scene because it’s always used to rip into Robin and the context of the conversation is never brought up like....the fact that Robin wanted to leave, was accused of being a stripper, and it was HER humanity that was questioned by Karen. Robin didn’t start anything or try to attack anyone. She was put into a position where she was forced to defend her relationships, which were extremely convoluted.

It seemed both Karen and Robin wanted to leave, but stupid Sonny couldn't fathom that Karen didn't want to talk to him. Sonny Cornithos: GH's answer to Harvey Weinstein. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

Robin was constantly calling out Karen and Dante?

No, those instances were particularly egregious, but generally carrying water for Sonny and Jason became a big part of her character. She did it with everyone - like it was her job to be walking proof of their humanity.

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 3
On 8/24/2018 at 8:53 PM, Oracle42 said:

though honestly, the tone she used when engaging in that activity was grating af.

You just hit the nail on the head as to what I found the most irritating about her sanctimonious turn. There was always just something in her voice and her attitude that just drove me crazy.

Edited by Camille
  • Love 3
On 8/25/2018 at 10:05 AM, Oracle42 said:

No, those instances were particularly egregious, but generally carrying water for Sonny and Jason became a big part of her character. She did it with everyone - like it was her job to be walking proof of their humanity.

Yup, in fact Robin and Patrick talked about this in his apartment. Patrick could not understand Robin's loyalty, Robin explained that she introduced Jason to Sonny and though she could not have predicted that he would choose a life of violence, she felt partially responsible for Jason's wasted potential.  Patrick's response was basically, that explains a lot.  

I remember when Robin ran into Sonny and Carly at the Nurse's Ball (when SBu had left the show) and let Sonny know she was appalled to find out he was engaged to Carly. I was thinking, if you're really that surprised you have not paid attention to who Sonny really is. IMO Robin wanted to blame all of Sonny and Jason's heinous choices on Carly, because she refused to see/accept that they were (are!) just not good people.

• Love 8

I like Robin, don't get me wrong, nor do I have a problem, to this day, her soft and blind spot for both Jason and Sonny. But it was really shitty of her (and my sympathies to KMc for being forced to utter that line) about Karen getting "over" what Sonny did to her. For one thing, Robin knows perfectly well that Sonny never "got over" what Deke, or frankly just about anyone, that crossed him did to him, to the point of completely corrupting the police department her family (biological and surrogate) spent their lives trying to clean up because of his hatred to law enforcement because of  Deke. Another, Sonny wasn't really sorry and even thought he didn't do anything wrong-he still thought it was still some sort of a relationship. Karen wasn't declaring a vendetta on him, and on this fucking show, characters have declared vendettas on far less. Sonny sought out Karen, and Karen smartly didn't want to have anything to do with him. I didn't see her really blame Sonny for anything, just explaining what happened and what happened made Sonny look like the shithead he is. What Robin didn't realize was the continued effect what Sonny manipulated Karen to do when she was still a teenager had on her career, and that can be excused because Robin had yet to started pursuing her own medical career at the time. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 3
On 8/24/2018 at 8:53 PM, Oracle42 said:

In all fairness, though, Robin wasn't the only person on the show constantly forced to sing Sonny and Jason's praises to the detriment of her own character.  

On 8/24/2018 at 9:41 PM, ouinason said:

I'm ready for the Jason/Carly affair to happen.  Like, I think it would actually be a good and soapy way to shake things up, because shit is stale as hell right now with that group.

The other benefit to this is it might shake Sam out of her comatose state.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:11 AM, Bringonthedrama said:

Robin unfortunately excuses the behavior of people she loves too easily, though. What stands out to me is the time she was on the docks telling Warlock's AJ that he, not Jason, is Michael's bio father. She said that Carly taught Jason to lie, and explained what had happened in the last year +.  It sounded to me like she was putting the responsibility for Jason's lies/deception all on Carly. Having brain damage does not mean Jason was/is not responsible for his actions.  If Jason had been a teenage boy with Down's Syndrome, then yes her holding Carly responsible would be reasonable.

Btw, when I said people I was thinking of her parents, Sonny, and Patrick. My (probably unpopular) opinion is that Anna and Robert were not spectacular parents who put their child first either during her childhood or during her adulthood. 

YEP. The fact that Robin doesn't walk out of the room any time Jason walks into it, tells me all I need to know about her. A woman who saves lives should have nothing to do, EVER, with a man who ends them. 

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:30 PM, Bringonthedrama said:

Yup, in fact Robin and Patrick talked about this in his apartment. Patrick could not understand Robin's loyalty, Robin explained that she introduced Jason to Sonny and though she could not have predicted that he would choose a life of violence, she felt partially responsible for Jason's wasted potential.  Patrick's response was basically, that explains a lot.  

I remember when Robin ran into Sonny and Carly at the Nurse's Ball (when SBu had left the show) and let Sonny know she was appalled to find out he was engaged to Carly. I was thinking, if you're really that surprised you have not paid attention to who Sonny really is. IMO Robin wanted to blame all of Sonny and Jason's heinous choices on Carly, because she refused to see/accept that they were (are!) just not good people.

And still to this day she can't see what they are, or ignores it. It's not a case of her seeing a "different side" of Sonny and Jason. It's a case of her refusing to acknowledge who and what they are. Repeatedly, over decades. I cannot understand it and never will.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, IWantCandy71 said:

And still to this day she can't see what they are, or ignores it. It's not a case of her seeing a "different side" of Sonny and Jason. It's a case of her refusing to acknowledge who and what they are. Repeatedly, over decades. I cannot understand it and never will.

I would characterize it as "chooses to overlook." Robin sees Jason and Sonny through the rose-colored lens of gratitude for being there at her darkest time - after Stone died when she was learning to live with the reality that she was an HIV+ young woman. In conversations with people, she has credited Jason quite a few times with convincing her to go on the protocol. I also remember a scene some years ago where Anna thanked Jason for talking Robin into going on the protocol (at a time when Anna was presumed dead). A brain damaged young man should not have been the one to reach Robin at the moment. Robin desperately needed love and support from both parents when she was diagnosed, but she didn't have it. They were very lucky she had Mac. I still firmly believe she would have leaned much more on her parents (only somewhat on Sonny) if they had been present. That vulnerable time in her life is still imprinted on her heart; I think K McC plays it like Robin believes that turning her back on them would mean denying that time and their importance, so she never will. 

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

I would characterize it as "chooses to overlook."

Same here. Robin knows exactly what Sonny and Jason do and who they are, but as @Bringonthedrama wrote, both men were supported her at the most intensely vulnerable time of Robin's life. I get the conflict, though I wish the writers would allow Robin to cheerlead them a little less. (No one can or does, though, unless we're obviously supposed to hate them [e.g., Julian], so at least she's not the only one.)

• Love 6

If not for her torture and being held hostage, I firmly believe Robin would have continued to not speak to Mooby again.

She did cut off all ties after he stormed into her house, waving a gun, looking for Jax and SHOT her in front of Emma. 

But noooooo. I can’t have nice things.

I don't blame Anna for not being with Robin when the Stone situation happened, I do blame Robert though.  

I mean, Anna was living with a decade of amnesia and brain damage and found Robin right away when she could, so I get it.  Robert was just faking his death for... reasons.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, ouinason said:

I don't blame Anna for not being with Robin when the Stone situation happened, I do blame Robert though.  

I mean, Anna was living with a decade of amnesia and brain damage and found Robin right away when she could, so I get it.  Robert was just faking his death for... reasons.

I wasn’t happy with the explanation for why Robert didn’t let Anna and Robin and Mac know he was alive, but he was being threatened/blackmailed by the WSB -the whoever was in charge at the time. That is Anna and Robin were threatened.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

I wouldn’t blame Anna for being abducted by her lunatic stalker, Which is why she was there and Robert followed and they ended up in the boat explosion.  I don’t think Robert really did blame her either, or for what the WSB did to him which was just needlessly cruel.  

i mean, I haven’t watched Current (Shit)show in years, so they may have retconned even that, but that was the story at the time ...

but I also didn’t enjoy everyone just being mad at Robert when he returned.  

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 4
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:21 PM, Bringonthedrama said:

I would characterize it as "chooses to overlook." Robin sees Jason and Sonny through the rose-colored lens of gratitude for being there at her darkest time - after Stone died when she was learning to live with the reality that she was an HIV+ young woman. In conversations with people, she has credited Jason quite a few times with convincing her to go on the protocol. I also remember a scene some years ago where Anna thanked Jason for talking Robin into going on the protocol (at a time when Anna was presumed dead). A brain damaged young man should not have been the one to reach Robin at the moment. Robin desperately needed love and support from both parents when she was diagnosed, but she didn't have it. They were very lucky she had Mac. I still firmly believe she would have leaned much more on her parents (only somewhat on Sonny) if they had been present. That vulnerable time in her life is still imprinted on her heart; I think K McC plays it like Robin believes that turning her back on them would mean denying that time and their importance, so she never will. 

I think "chooses to overlook" is even worse, in it's own way.  Mainly because it's entirely possible to be grateful to someone for them being there for you in a time of need, but not really liking them or approving of what they stand for.
There's nothing wrong with acknowledging gratitude from a distance. I once had someone save me from drowning. At the time, we hung out in the same circle, although TBH I never really liked her, and something that happened after the almost drowning incident proved my initial instincts about her were spot on.  I will always be grateful that she basically saved my life, and if anytime in the future, if I knew she was in need and I could help her, I would. Doesn't mean we're ever going to be friends, though. I neither defend her nor condemn her out loud to other people. And IMO that's the way Robin at the very least, should be about Sonny and Jason. She can be grateful for their support and NOT cheerlead them or even make a point to speak to them if she sees them. There is a middle ground there, how sad it can't be shown.

• Love 3

If GH somehow got cancelled in the next 6 months, do anyone think they would just bring back Nathan for Maxie? Or Spinelli. This train of thought brought to you by my thinking, "would Maxie end up with Peter if GH got cancelled? No, they wouldn't do that, would they?"

Although I think if the show got cancelled Maxie should be boss of Crimson. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, ulkis said:

If GH somehow got cancelled in the next 6 months, do anyone think they would just bring back Nathan for Maxie? Or Spinelli. This train of thought brought to you by my thinking, "would Maxie end up with Peter if GH got cancelled? No, they wouldn't do that, would they?"

Although I think if the show got cancelled Maxie should be boss of Crimson. 

Kirsten doesn't want a Spixie pairing ever again and it works in her favor that BA doesn't have a contract. 

Adding on to @ulkis' question, if GH was to be cancelled in the next six months would they do whatever they could to bring Dante back for a scene with Lulu? I don't want them to push her towards Chase or Griffin because God forbid someone on this show respect their marriage.

Oh, not a doubt in my mind. Or they would just send her off to him. (if GH were cancelled relatively soon.)

Sadly, I used to think they would end on LL2 no matter what but now I think she might actually end up with Franco, even if the show was cancelled in the next 6 months.

Edited by ulkis
3 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Sadly, I used to think they would end on LL2 no matter what but now I think she might actually end up with Franco, even if the show was cancelled in the next 6 months.

That's a frightening thought. Who do you think the others would end up with? Would they keep with CarSon and Nina/Valentin? Drew/Sam or JaSam?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, LexieLily said:

That's a frightening thought. Who do you think the others would end up with? Would they keep with CarSon and Nina/Valentin? Drew/Sam or JaSam?

JaSam but they’d stare at each other from across the room and it’d fade to black.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Carson, but a hand with a long sleeve would knock at their door. Jasam.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Yeah, but I was talking about if the show got cancelled. I guess they don't necessarily have to pair her with anyone, but I was just thinking about it.

I read it fast, I think they would go with Peter before Spin at this point if they had to end things in 6 months.

He's Anna's son and all.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Adding on to @ulkis' question, if GH was to be cancelled in the next six months would they do whatever they could to bring Dante back for a scene with Lulu? I don't want them to push her towards Chase or Griffin because God forbid someone on this show respect their marriage.

I wouldn't want them to push her towards Griffin because then I might fall into a coma. Bad coma! Bad!

25 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Jason and Robin don't do much for me but I love this picture of them:

Jason-Robin-general-hospital-37621862-50

Aw, that takes me back. My fave pic is, I think it’s from a magazine, but she’s sitting on his lap and their faces are thisclose and they’re smiling really cheesy. I think it’s from 1998 or 1999 because she has her short hair. It’s super cute. I can’t find it. Damn, Google!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I honestly think they'd find a way to reunite Sonny & Brenda, regardless of how little sense it would make. 

There were rumors of an agreement between Guza, MB and VM that Sonny & Brenda would be reunited no matter what had the show ended when Guza was still there, but I can see that still holding up today. 

Edited by UYI

Apparently, rumor is FV is bugged by VM. 

Me? I think Brenda/Sonny should end up together. (Because they wouldn't kill Sonny off or send him to prison.) But I don't think they'd leave Carly single. (Leave Jax alone!)

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Apparently, rumor is FV is bugged by VM. 

Me? I think Brenda/Sonny should end up together. (Because they wouldn't kill Sonny off or send him to prison.) But I don't think they'd leave Carly single. (Leave Jax alone!)

Put Carly back with Franco or have Ryan kill her. Sonny can go back to Brenda in despair. Lol

On 9/7/2018 at 4:36 PM, SlovakPrincess said:

I wouldn’t blame Anna for being abducted by her lunatic stalker, Which is why she was there and Robert followed and they ended up in the boat explosion.  I don’t think Robert really did blame her either, or for what the WSB did to him which was just needlessly cruel.  

i mean, I haven’t watched Current (Shit)show in years, so they may have retconned even that, but that was the story at the time ...

but I also didn’t enjoy everyone just being mad at Robert when he returned.  

Her lunatic stalker was her DVX handler and she never, at any point in time, was truthful about her relationship with him.  Robert did nothing to deserve having his life turned upside down by Faison.  Anna?  Well ... maybe she shouldn't have sold out for kicks and cash, and then Faison wouldn't have been part of her life.

I can't stand Robin for a lot of reasons, but the fact that she craps all over Robert for his decisions while giving her double agent mother a free pass is high on the list.

Whew, so glad to get that out!

Edited by alessia
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, alessia said:

Her lunatic stalker was her DVX handler and she never, at any point in time, was truthful about her relationship with him.  Robert did nothing to deserve having his life turned upside down by Faison.  Anna?  Well ... maybe she shouldn't have sold out for kicks and cash, and then Faison wouldn't have been part of her life.

I can't stand Robin for a lot of reasons, but the fact that she craps all over Robert for his decisions while giving her double agent mother a free pass is high on the list.

Whew, so glad to get that out!

+1

You explained why I’ll always be Team Robert over Team Anna better than I ever could.

Of course, Robin unfavorably comparing Robert to Jason the first time she saw him in fourteen years (after he’d left only to save Anna and bring her home to Robin) and then Anna kicking him in the face and blaming him for the time she lost the first time SHE saw him in fourteen years still sticks in my craw.

Robert was LEAST responsible for how it all went down and he paid for it far longer than Anna ever did. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, alessia said:

Robin only gave him shit for that the year of Pod!Robert! during the monkey virus story. As much as I SWOONED and my ?❤️?❤️❤️????? when I saw ROBERT!!!FUCKING!!!SCORPIO!!! come out of the woods and the voice over or maybe it was CHRYON, stating “And so it begins...” I I HATED/LOATHED/DETESTED the casual “Hi Sweetheart” to Robin when she discovered he was alive and the reasoning behind him faking his death.

• Love 1
On 9/25/2018 at 9:14 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

the casual “Hi Sweetheart” to Robin when she discovered he was alive and the reasoning behind him faking his death.

I thought this was clearly the reason for her anger, and dumping on Robert. He was so nonchalant about being face-to-face with her for the first time in more than a decade when she thought he was dead. I feel like so much of the writing for R&A in their reactions to Robin's first pregnancy (okay, just Anna there), Robin's "death" in the lab explosion, and then the rescue during JT's exit storyline has been poor and sloppy. The one scene that I recall being well-written for Robert was a one-on-one with Robin at Christmastime, when he met newborn Emma and Robin asked him to walk her down the aisle for her *real* wedding to Patrick.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

I thought this was clearly the reason for her anger, and dumping on Robert. He was so nonchalant about being face-to-face with her for the first time in more than a decade when she thought he was dead. I feel like so much of the writing for R&A in their reactions to Robin's first pregnancy (okay, just Anna there), Robin's "death" in the lab explosion, and then the rescue during JT's exit storyline has been poor and sloppy. The one scene that I recall being well-written for Robert was a one-on-one with Robin at Christmastime, when he met newborn Emma and Robin asked him to walk her down the aisle for her *real* wedding to Patrick.

Yes, it was. 

The writing for all three was VASTLY IMPROVED in Night Shift II during Robert’s cancer story line. And that was all DUE TO SRI RAO. He fixed what Guzasshole FUCKED UP.

And the Patrick and Robin reunion to usher Jason Thompson off the show was lazy and rushed because they only had two weeks to do it. Or something like that.

• Love 1
On 9/27/2018 at 9:08 PM, Bringonthedrama said:

Robert's return was badly written, but it was consistent with the story in 1991-92.  Robert told Mac that, even if he got Anna away from Faison, they probably would have to hide from the WSB.  It wasn't hard to believe that the WSB extracted a high price for allowing Anna to live.  That's why Sean told Robert to cut his losses rather than go after her.

Robert didn't leave in 1992 for kicks.  He left to bring Robin's mother back.  And clearly thought he was likely to die while trying.

If Robin wants to dump on him for the decisions he made, she also should dump on her mother.  The double agent who never told the truth about Faison, who brought Faison AND the WSB down on Robert's head, and whose terrible choices are still affecting the people around her.

And since I'm giving my unpopular opinions (I probably should add this one to the thread for them), I didn't care much for NS II.  It continued the Robert is a deadbeat, Robert couldn't commit, Robert left in 1992 for fun times with the WSB stuff from Guza.  And Anna being a double agent was played off as a joke.

But I guess it was better than monkey virus or the Markham Islands garbage.  Low bar, lol.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, alessia said:

Robert's return was badly written, but it was consistent with the story in 1991-92.  Robert told Mac that, even if he got Anna away from Faison, they probably would have to hide from the WSB.  It wasn't hard to believe that the WSB extracted a high price for allowing Anna to live.  That's why Sean told Robert to cut his losses rather than go after her.

Robert didn't leave in 1992 for kicks.  He left to bring Robin's mother back.  And clearly thought he was likely to die while trying.

If Robin wants to dump on him for the decisions he made, she also should dump on her mother. 

Up 'til the moment when Anna told Robin "Peter/Heinrich is my son," I've observed willful blindness from Robin about her mother's character and choices in life. That is why it's easy to understand her choice to overlook the truth about who Sonny and Jason really are.  It's hard for someone like Robin to admit to herself that those she loves maybe don't deserve her loyalty.

Anna was Robin's first parent, even though she didn't identify herself as "Mommy" to Robin.  I believe that Anna loves Robin, but her choices show she has not put Robin first in life. Rather than acknowledge something so painful about her beloved role model, Robin put her on a pedestal as the "hero/adventurer" who had important things to do. Robin also calls Robert a hero, but I think it was easier for her to be angry at him because of a) his casual reaction to seeing her at GH for the first time in her adult life b) he spent less years parenting her than Anna did and he's not her gender role model, and c) he came back into her life at a time when she was falling for but frustrated with Patrick. Comparisons were made between Patrick and Robert, and the idea that she was drawn to/feeling hurt by someone who reminded her of Robert had to be upsetting in the "we choose what is familiar" scenario. 

The only time(s) I thought Anna was better than Robert had to do with their talks about Robin growing up with Mac, and all she had been through without their support at a young age. Robert's response was basically, "she had Mac, and turned out well, so it all worked out" and Anna insisted "It should have been us, Robert." I expected to see some guilt from them as parents even though they did not willfully leave her to be raised by Mac. I only saw Anna being written as feeling guilty.  The one time he got a well-written scene that I saw was at Christmas soon after Emma's birth, when he acknowledged he had missed out on a lot of her life, that it's easy to be a hero when you're not present, and that Mac did the hard work of parenting.

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Love 3
On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:08 PM, Bringonthedrama said:

I feel like so much of the writing for R&A in their reactions to Robin's first pregnancy (okay, just Anna there), Robin's "death" in the lab explosion, and then the rescue during JT's exit storyline has been poor and sloppy.

As far as R&A stuff during Robin's "death", I do remember thinking the scene of Robert going to see Robin's "corpse" was powerful.  When his projection of Robin asked, "Daddy, where were you?", asked him why he could be a hero for other people and not for her?  That was good stuff.

The show having Robert skip Robin's "funeral" to go skipping after Ethan?  Less good lol.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

As far as R&A stuff during Robin's "death", I do remember thinking the scene of Robert going to see Robin's "corpse" was powerful.  When his projection of Robin asked, "Daddy, where were you?", asked him why he could be a hero for other people and not for her?  That was good stuff.

Those scenes absolutely GUTTED me, even as I knew it wasn't Robin because she’d never say that. And I was proven right when we saw her a week later in that bed. 

10 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

The show having Robert skip Robin's "funeral" to go skipping after Ethan?  Less good lol.

That PISSED me off. Like finding you have another grown spawn was anywhere near the same thing as the loss of the daughter you knew and loved. I SO wanted Robert there if only to kick that mooby ass making Robin’s death all about HIM.?????????????

• Love 1