Type keyword(s) to search

Super(girl) Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

58 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

Someone knows Kara Danvers is Supergirl?  It must be one of the scores of DEO agents who have seen Kara wander around HQ in her civvies. 

"Someone" knows -- at this point in National City, the list of people who don't know Kara is Supergirl would be shorter.

Yeah, I agree with pretty much all of that. I don't want Lena Luthor to be a villain, though. That's too much of a ripoff of Clark/Lex, and it's predictable. I like her much better as a friend to Kara -- someone outside of her family and the DEO, and someone who has a bit of an edge and could make the morally grey choice from time to time.

• Love 5

There has certainly been some good for Alex in season two, but the emphasis on her sexuality and her new relationship with Maggie has taken center stage. Now, Alex and Kara rarely, if ever, appear in the same room or interact with one another. Gone are the days of the Danvers sisters heartfelt and meaningful couch sessions. Gone are the days when Kara and Alex supported one another. Gone is the most important relationship of season one and the most important relationship of the series.

I dunno, I kinda liked that this time Kara got to support Alex (and I think Kara did a decent amount of supporting and sharing scenes with Alex around the time Alex was pursuing Maggie). Ultimately I feel like this step was necessary, because to be honest, it's kinda unhealthy that Alex had her whole identity wrapped up in Kara. So I think giving her a love interest as ultimately the right choice to make her a more balanced character. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, tofutan said:

I dunno, I kinda liked that this time Kara got to support Alex (and I think Kara did a decent amount of supporting and sharing scenes with Alex around the time Alex was pursuing Maggie). Ultimately I feel like this step was necessary, because to be honest, it's kinda unhealthy that Alex had her whole identity wrapped up in Kara. So I think giving her a love interest as ultimately the right choice to make her a more balanced character. 

Exactly.  What does everyone think will happen if/when Alex and Maggie get married?  While the bond of family will always exist between Kara and Alex, once Alex and Maggie have taken the ultimate step in their relationship, their first priority will naturally be each other, and Kara's day-to-day interactions with Alex outside of the DEO will of necessity be curtailed to a great extent because of that -- and that's as it should be.

• Love 2

IMO yeah, obsessive co-dependent relationships make for really interesting tv watching, but I think it makes sense that the writers didn't want that for Alex as a character forever. In the end the healthier storyline to tell is for Alex to let Kara grow up rather than always protecting her like a child and having her entire identity tied into Kara, and when that happens it is healthier for her to have her own life too. That doesn't mean that they stop loving each other. So I have a lot of sympathy as to why they gave Alex a relationship that is first and foremost about her. And I think Kara getting her own love plot at the same time makes some structural sense, because that way it makes sure that it never feels like a competition between Maggie and Kara or like Kara should be jealous or lonely because of Maggie taking up so much of Alex' time (even if the Kara/Mon-El relationship might in the end not last as long as Maggie/Alex will probably last). 

I think they have had a couple of lines this season this indicated something like this. Like when Kara thought she might be dying and wanted Alex to live a full life without her. Or when Alex acted really insecure and jealous when Kara talked about moving to Metropolis. That's not really very healthy behavior. 

Overall I think it's been a good season for Alex, precisely because she got to be her own person. She got her own love story where Kara was supporting her, whenever Jeremiah popped up (which admittedly has been erratic) it was always primarily Alex' emotional issue, and she got that sideplot where she was babysitting Winn and Guardian when she learned about their identity before Kara did. And it's not like the show didn't also make an effort to make time for big sister episodes. 

• Love 2
On 2017-5-2 at 3:03 PM, Cranberry said:

Yeah, I agree with pretty much all of that. I don't want Lena Luthor to be a villain, though. That's too much of a ripoff of Clark/Lex, and it's predictable. I like her much better as a friend to Kara -- someone outside of her family and the DEO, and someone who has a bit of an edge and could make the morally grey choice from time to time.

I hope they don't go the way of Clark/Lex. But I can see Lena/Kara have some tension, and perhaps being on the outs with their friendship. But not to the extent Lena becomes a true villain.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, nightwing877 said:

I hope they don't go the way of Clark/Lex. But I can see Lena/Kara have some tension, and perhaps being on the outs with their friendship. But not to the extent Lena becomes a true villain.

Agreed.  Have Lena go completely dark and live up to her family's criminal reputation, the reputation she's made it clear that she wants no part of? No thanks.  Two Luthor villains in the family are quite enough.  

If anything, I prefer Lena to be the ANTI-Lex that she always was in the comics and that she should be here.  Have her be a bit conflicted regarding whatever it is that Rhea's up to, sure, but in the end, have her realize that Rhea is cut from exactly the same cloth that Lillian is and that to let Rhea seduce her to the dark side (or drift over there on her own) would make her the one thing she hates the most and swore she'd never be.  That kind of character consistency is exactly why I rejected any notion that Winn would become Toyman, Jr. just because Kara shot his romantic notions about her down.  It's just too much of an overused (and really unrealistic) trope for me.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 8
(edited)

It's true that Alex needed to be a little more independent from Kara but I think the show has gone to far in that direction. There have been too many times this season, such as the last episode, where the writers has neglected opportunities for meaningful interaction between them. 

Agreed.  Have Lena go completely dark and live up to her family's criminal reputation, the reputation she's made it clear that she wants no part of? No thanks.  Two Luthor villains in the family are quite enough

I agree. I'm sure the actress would do a good job if they made her a villain but I think it would be a little boring and predictable. Making her a little grey instead would be more interesting.

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Oreo2234 said:

I thinks that's true that Alex needed a little more independent from Kara but I think the show has gone to far in the other direction. There have been episodes such as the last one where the writers has neglected opportunities for meaningful interaction between them. 

MTE. Don't get me wrong, I definitely think it has been to both the character and show's benefit that Alex became more independent from Kara this season. This has really been Alex's season and Chyler Leigh has been the MVP. But at the same time, the Danvers sisters' relationship has been too minimized in 2B especially, largely in favor of giving Kara scenes with Mon-El (and to a far lesser extent, Alex with Maggie). Just off the top of my head, the sisters' relationship was terribly mishandled in 2x14 overall (terribad episode in general), 2x15 needed a sister scene coda after Kara stopped the ship carrying Alex from jumping across the galaxy, this episode needed a sisters' scene coda instead of/in addition to a group scene at the end, in the Flash crossover it's beyond ludicrous that Alex WOULDN'T accompany Kara to another galaxy, it was silly that Kara's very legitimate anxiety over feeling like she was "losing" Alex in whatever number the White Martian episode got rewritten as "really she likes Mon-El and is just denying it," etc. To me, this season has ended up largely coasting on the fantastic relationship last season set up between the sisters in terms of showing their closeness, but with a few signal exceptions (mostly related to Alex's coming out) hasn't done a ton to either deepen the closeness or really explore the cracks in the relationship--some new, some carried over from last season.

• Love 2

I think the coming out story deserves a bit better than being considered just "a few signal exceptions". I remember Alex and Kara getting quite a lot of hanging out scenes. Just because they were out and about or in the bar doesn't mean they don't count. 

I think Homecoming set up a theme of Alex's obsession with Jeremiah that you also see in some other episodes. Yes everybody is suffering from the stupid in this episode, but it was there to set up the plot for Exodus more than anything. And I think the main point was to give us a chance to see Jeremiah interact with his family only to take that away again. (then again, the main thing I remember from this episode is the Jeremiah/Eliza scene which I liked a lot and cringing at J'onn talking about how he can't read Jeremiah's mind as Jeremiah runs off) I think that kind of subterfuge fits Cadmus and I'm not convinced that the plot holes were that much worse than in "Alex" for example. 

IMO it was probably an intentional choice to not have Kara be needy about Maggie, precisely so it would never look like a "Alex abandoning Kara" storyline and it can be enjoyed guilt free. Especially since Kara has expressed repeatedly how much she wants Alex to have a full life. 

I also think it's a good thing that maybe it might set up some more serious conflict down the line, in season 3 maybe. But then again, I've been very, very vocal that I think they should at one point do at least a season where Kara doesn't work at the DEO anymore, because it's frankly a bit embarrassing that as the big female superhero she's the only one who works as part of a government agency rather than working on her own terms. 

I'm not a big fan on how it sometimes seems like some fans want Kara to be infantilized just so they can get quality Kara/Alex scenes where Alex has a big impact on Kara. And I say that as somebody who really does love the sisters relationship, I just happen to think the journey has to be towards growing up and also standing on your own, rather than keeping Kara needy because that's cute. 

• Love 2

Supergirl was referenced in Bill Maher's rant on superhero movies and tv, where he complains that superhero movies encourage the kind of world view that got Trump elected where one powerful person can fix everything. 

Another interview with Katie McGrath:

Part of her character’s allure, muses McGrath, is in the unpredictability of Lena’s story. “I had no f**king clue what was going to happen! I didn’t sign up for that many episodes, so I thought I was just coming in and I’d have a little small arc and that would be it,” she says. But as she made more and more appearances, the character continually bucked her expectations: “I kept waiting for the script to come in that would be, ‘Oh, I get it. There you go. She’s Lex now.’ And it never happened.”

No matter how many opportunities Lena passes up to turn on Kara, we will always be wary of that happening, but McGrath isn’t so sure that that betrayal is inevitable. “You say that she has to. Do you believe that because that’s her last name? Is this a problem that Lena’s always going to come up against? That people have pre-judged her because she’s a Luthor?” she asks. We’ve seen her brother many times and know that, like in Smallville, no matter how friendly he and Clark Kent get, Lex always was going to become evil. For Lena though, McGrath says we just don’t know. “That’s what’s compelling and exciting — to have no idea,” she says. “She is an unknown quantity. You don’t know this character because we haven’t seen her yet.” Not even she knows what Lena is capable of. “That’s what’s making me feel completely engaged with the character,” she says.

• Love 2

DVD/Blu-ray info:

Just in time for the third season on The CW, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment brings you all-new Super-Villains and more family drama with the release of Supergirl: The Complete Second Season on Blu-ray and DVD on August 22, 2017. ... Fans can purchase the set which, in addition to all 22 super-powered episodes, contains an exclusive commentary with Andrew Kreisberg and Kevin Smith, the show's 2016 Comic-Con panel, featurettes, and more! Supergirl: The Complete Second Season is priced to own at $49.99 SRP for the DVD and $54.97 SRP for the Blu-ray which includes a Digital Copy.

• Supergirl: 2016 Comic-Con Panel
  • Supergirl: Alien Fight Night
  • Aliens Among Us
  • A Conversation with Andrew Kreisberg and Kevin Smith
  • "Supergirl Lives" Audio Commentary featuring Andrew Kreisberg and Kevin Smith
  • Did You Know facts for fans

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Supergirl-Season-2-Press-Release/23317

No gag reel?

• Love 1

:O No gag reel? What's the point of a box set then???

There are no words for the negative amount of fucks I give about what Kevin Smith thinks about the show. I wish the showrunners would get over the man/geekcrush on him.

• Love 2
(edited)

Supergirl getting a children's novel:

Supergirl: Age of Atlantis will be written by Jo Whittemore (The Silverskin Legacy) and will see Kara Danvers deal with various weird goings-on all over National City. Not only have average citizens suddenly start performing feats, but the Department of Extranormal Operations (the DEO) has captured a humanoid sea creature, and Kara will have to figure out what drew him to National City, and what his connection to this surge of super-citizens may be.

... Supergirl: Age of Atlantis will follow on Nov. 7.

9781419728143_dc1.jpg?w=1800

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2

‘Supergirl’: Jessica Queller & Robert Rovner Named Co-Showrunners On the CW Series

The CW superhero drama series Supergirl is beefing up its showrunner ranks heading into its third season with the promotion of Jessica Queller and Robert Rovner to co-showrunners alongside co-creator Andrew Kreisberg.

The move follows the departure of co-creator/co-showrunner Ali Adler, who has signed an overall deal at CBS TV Studios. She will remain an executive consultant on the CW series.

• Love 1
(edited)

I expected they would be making this announcement, it was obvious they were pretty much already showrunners during the second half of the season.

Edited by Oreo2234
2 hours ago, Oreo2234 said:

I expected they would be making this announcement, it was obvious they were pretty much already showrunners during the second half of the season.

Just curious, what makes you say this?  I don't believe their titles changed during S2.

Well, Queller and Rovner started doing the producer previews of the episodes after Adler stopped doing them; and Adler just seemed not to be as involved with the show in Season 2, when the show production moved to Vancouver (and she's based in L.A.).

• Love 3

Teen Choice award nominations for Supergirl:

Choice Action TV Show (#ChoiceActionTVShow)
Arrow
Gotham
Lethal Weapon
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Supergirl
The Flash

Choice Action TV Actor (#ChoiceActionTVActor)
Chris Wood – Supergirl
Clayne Crawford – Lethal Weapon
Gabriel Luna – Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Grant Gustin – The Flash
Stephen Amell – Arrow
Wentworth Miller – Prison Break

Choice Action TV Actress (#ChoiceActionTVActress)
Caity Lotz – Legends of Tomorrow
Candice Patton – The Flash
Danielle Panabaker – The Flash
Emily Bett Rickards – Arrow
Jordana Brewster – Lethal Weapon
Melissa Benoist – Supergirl

Voting starts tonight.

• Love 1
(edited)

Supergirl at Comic Con:

3:30–4:10 p.m. Supergirl Special Video Presentation and Q&A
Ridding National City of Queen Rhea and her Daxamite army was a major win for Supergirl, but one that came at a significant cost, as Kara was forced to sacrifice her budding relationship with Mon-El. When season three returns with all-new supercharged adventures this fall on The CW, Kara and team will come up against a new threat in the form of DC Worldkiller, Reign. Want to know more about Reign and what she has in store for the Girl of Steel?

Join the series’ cast and creative team for a special video presentation, followed by a Q&A where they’ll discuss this hot topic and more! ...

Ballroom 20

http://comiccon.thewb.com/

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1
(edited)

Supergirl Costume designer also at Comic Con:

Costume Design for Screen
Costume Designers Guild members Ann Foley (costume designer, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.), Kim Adams (costume designer, Stranger Things, Halt and Catch Fire), Ivy Thaide (assistant costume designer, How to Get Away with Murder, The Mindy Project), Jill O’Hanneson (costume designer, Preacher), Kiersten Ronning (costume designer, Supergirl), Marlene Stewart (costume designer, Oblivion, Tropic Thunder), Ruth Carter (costume designer, Black Panther, Serenity), and Samantha Kuester (costume designer, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return) talk about the process of designing costumes for screen. The designers will also answer questions from the audience.

Saturday July 22, 2017
11:00am – 12:00pm
Room 23ABC

http://www.superherohype.com/news/400329-comic-con-2017-schedule-for-saturday-july-22

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Dovega said:

I wonder if they will have any new footage ready. Last year Supergirl had the worst video presentation of all the panels I watched and it was all season 1 footage.

Last year the show hadn't yet started shooting S2 when they went to SDCC, so to be fair, they just didn't have any new footage yet. My understanding is that they began shooting S3 last week or the week before, so there should be new footage to work with this year.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, MarkHB said:

And it looks like Kevin Smith is back in the director's chair...

I saw that, but I didn't want to assume that's what it means until Smith or the show confirmed.

More Teen Choice nominations:

Choice TV Villain (#ChoiceTVVillain)
Cory Michael Smith – Gotham
Grant Gustin – The Flash
Janel Parrish – Pretty Little Liars
Josh Segarra – Arrow
Mark Pellegrino – Supernatural
Teri Hatcher – Supergirl

Choice TVShip (#ChoiceTVShip)
#BELLARKE (Eliza Taylor & Bob Morley) – The 100
#BUGHEAD (Lili Reinhart & Cole Sprouse) – Riverdale
#EMISON (Shay Mitchell & Sasha Pieterse) – Pretty Little Liars
#KARAMEL (Chris Wood & Melissa Benoist) – Supergirl
#MALEC (Matthew Daddario & Harry Shum Jr.) – Shadowhunters
#STYDIA (Holland Roden & Dylan O’Brien) – Teen Wolf

Choice Liplock (#ChoiceLipLock)
Chris Pine & Gal Gadot – Wonder Woman
Dan Stevens & Emma Watson – Beauty and the Beast
Jennifer Morrison & Colin O’Donoghue – Once Upon a Time
Matthew Daddario & Harry Shum Jr. – Shadowhunters
Melissa Benoist & Chris Wood – Supergirl
Orlando Bloom & Keira Knightley – Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

http://www.teenchoice.com/so-you-think-you-can-dance/article/second-and-final-wave-of-“teen-choice-2017”-nominees-announced

• Love 1

It's been announced at Comic-Con that Adrian Pasdar will appearing in the third season as a villain.  That should be great, but what I'm geeking out over is that also 

Spoiler

Carl Lumbly will also guest as J'onn's father (flashbacks?), which is awesome because notably voiced J'onn in the Justice League animation series, among other things.  Can't wait!

• Love 4
(edited)

Apparently, Jeremy Jordan got into trouble over a joke that he made at SDCC about how Lena and Kara were just friends and that that was all they would ever be.  His comment pissed off the SuperCorp shippers, who launched a social-media war against him on both Twitter and Instagram because they felt he had insulted both them and the LGBT community at large by dismissing the ship, and he ended up having to apologize twice for the joke.

As I've said before, SuperCorp appears to be this show's version of Once Upon a Time's SwanQueen, and just as toxic.   Some people just need to get over themselves.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 9

Yeah, I went on the Supergirl tag on Tumblr hoping to post gifs from the new trailer but instead I find it's mostly posts outraged about what Jordan said. I mean the "Supercorps" shippers went nuclear. I get the outrage about queerbaiting and how some lesbian romances have been handled on network shows but man I think they blew this out of proportion. The ironic thing is if Alex and Maggie end up being a stable relationship for the entire run people are going to accuse the show of being homophobic just because they didn't have their lead be in a same-sex relationship.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Apparently, Jeremy Jordan got into trouble over a joke that he made at SDCC about how Lena and Kara were just friends and that that was all they would ever be.

I saw a small clip of it and at first didn't see what the big deal was either.  The cast was joking about something pretty obvious: of course Kara/Lena is not going to happen.  However, after reading a few posts on Tumblr, I can see why some fans are hurt.  It's not really about them saying Supercorp is never happening, it's the way they did it.  Having the entire cast singing (minus Chyler Leigh/Floriana Lima who weren't at SDCC), with Jeremy screaming into the camera that Kara and Lena are never going to be more than friends, while the rest laughed, danced and sang along.  There was no need to mock a group of your show's fans.  It's a fictional show with fictional characters, let your real-life fans ship who they want.  Making fun of them is not going to gain you anything positive, especially LGBT fans who already feel like the butt of jokes too often.

That being said, of course some fans are taking it too far.  Talking about boycotting the show, sending hate to the cast, etc.  The show delivered on the one LGBT ship they said was coming.  Hopefully that doesn't get too lost just because some of the cast acted like insensitive asses.

• Love 5

He could have been more sensitive but which is worse? Being honest to fans about the reality of the situation or giving them false hope, stringing them along and make them think something is going to happen?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kate213 said:

I saw a small clip of it and at first didn't see what the big deal was either.  The cast was joking about something pretty obvious: of course Kara/Lena is not going to happen.  However, after reading a few posts on Tumblr, I can see why some fans are hurt.  It's not really about them saying Supercorp is never happening, it's the way they did it.  Having the entire cast singing (minus Chyler Leigh/Floriana Lima who weren't at SDCC), with Jeremy screaming into the camera that Kara and Lena are never going to be more than friends, while the rest laughed, danced and sang along.  There was no need to mock a group of your show's fans.  It's a fictional show with fictional characters, let your real-life fans ship who they want.  Making fun of them is not going to gain you anything positive, especially LGBT fans who already feel like the butt of jokes too often.

That being said, of course some fans are taking it too far.  Talking about boycotting the show, sending hate to the cast, etc.  The show delivered on the one LGBT ship they said was coming.  Hopefully that doesn't get too lost just because some of the cast acted like insensitive asses.

I didn't watch the video so can't comment entirely on what was said, but I'm just annoyed that fans will forever be attacking Jeremy Jordan for this stupid thing. It sounds like what he did was in poor taste, but not something that should now be the one thing that defines him. Like, definitely don't mock the fans, especially LGBTQ+ fans. That's a given and Jeremy absolutely crossed the line there. But also the fans shouldn't write him off for this one extremely stupid moment and use that as a reason to hate on him as an actor or hate on Winn as a character. Also, I've seen people turn on the entire cast, Benoist included, for joining in. 

I do think there are some fans who are handling it just fine and they are right in questioning the whole mess and being disappointed with the way things turned out, but there are one who are blowing this way out of proportion, wanting to boycott the show and calling the cast homophobic and all that, and that's not right either. It's just sad that people will probably blur the line between actor and character and will use it as an excuse to throw hate whenever they possibly can. They'll narrow down on this one moment and use it as leverage for as long as the show goes on, possibly even longer. 

I did read that Katie McGrath handled the whole mess very well, so at least there's that.

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

He could have been more sensitive but which is worse? Being honest to fans about the reality of the situation or giving them false hope, stringing them along and make them think something is going to happen?

I think a big part of the problem is that this show has done both with Kara/Lena.

The way Kara and Lena have been depicted is (as always, arguably) typical queerbaiting. So it's not hard to see how people feel like they have been strung along and made to think that "SuperCorp" is a possibility, and then sees the cast laughing and teasing them that it's never going to happen.

I think that's how it's different than, say, Harry+Draco or Draco+Hermione (both of which were popular fan Harry Potter ships). There was no real 'baiting' or implication during the books/movies that either of these relationships was remotely a possibility. If the Harry Potter cast had done the same thing as the SG cast, I don't think the reaction would have been as negative. Similarly, if the SG cast had joked about a different pairing (e.g. Kara and Cat), which has not really been implied onscreen the way that Kara and Lena has been, I don't think people would be so upset.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

Similarly, if the SG cast had joked about a different pairing (e.g. Kara and Cat), which has not really been implied onscreen the way that Kara and Lena has been, I don't think people would be so upset.

I've been in the Supercat tag during season 1 they definitely saw a lot of stuff onscreen that justified their ship. It was clearly Cat mentoring Kara as a mother figure certain moments and lines could be made to look romantic in gifs. The difference was it was a longshot because of the age difference.  Even before her first episode aired when Katie McGrath was announced people were excited and were shipping them together. They wanted it to be like Smallville with Clark and Lex except this time they weren't going to be satisfied with it being subtext, they wanted it TEXT.

• Love 3