Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

high-potential-season-1-episode-1-kaitli

A single mom with an exceptional mind is recruited to the LAPD Major Crimes unit, where her unconventional knack for solving crimes leads to an unusual and unstoppable partnership with a by-the-book seasoned detective.

Premiere Date: September 17, 2024     ABC     10pm    

high-pot.jpg

167632_4029-900x0.jpg

GVsO46Wa8AAZrY9?format=jpg&name=4096x409

GVsO-UWa8AM7Wb_?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I don't know why a woman would wear uncomfortable fancy dress shoes at night to work. Using public transportation she should have taken into account she might have to do more walking than planned. (As a man) I would think you would want to make yourself less attractive and more capable of running, so I would be wearing comfortable shoes and removing those shoes for another pair of comfortable shoes if you think those might be too dirty for walking on a clean floor while working.

A bus driver would not let you bring a store's shopping cart onto the bus, I am sure that might be considered keeping you commit a crime. Why was all the food falling out of the shopping cart, a tired trope that would seem the least likely in this particular situation.

I can not remember what the pair originally planned to do to the sister after they confronted her at her house, can someone please remind me.

I think the husband and wife were both lawyers working at the same law firm, that seems a little unusual but important for the case.

I think it would have been funny if when the police officer visited Morgan's home, he noticed there were a lot of things there that were taken from the police station, like memo pads, coffee mugs, ink pens, etc.

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
22 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I don't know why a woman would wear uncomfortable fancy dress shoes at night to work. Using public transportation she should have taken into account she might have to do more walking than planned. (As a man) I would think you would want to make yourself less attractive and more capable of running, so I would be wearing comfortable shoes and removing those shoes for another pair of comfortable shoes if you think those might be too dirty for walking on a clean floor while working

The incongruity that jumped out at me was her bright blue fingernails after taking the teen daughter’s $4 lipgloss out of the shopping cart. Maybe we’re supposed to fanwank that she found the nail polish in the trash of an office where she was cleaning? Or did that happen and I missed it?

I was also taken out of the scene by the anachronous carburetor that needed replacing which was supposed to be why they were currently without a car.  
Just last week I delighted my 2½ year old grandson when we were playing “car” (he arranges parts of their sectional couch so I drive and he’s in the back seat, then we stop for various noisy animals crossing the “road”) by my repeatedly hopping out of the “car” after each animal crossing to pantomime raising the car hood, sticking a pencil in the carburetor flap, restarting the stalled car, removing the pencil, closing the hood, and then continuing our drive to Target (his favorite destination).
This was based upon my real-life single-mom-to-3-kids power-move in the 90s with a ’75 Chevy.
Wikipedia essentially says carburetors went the way of the dinosaur after the 90s.
Do we know how old her car is?
A stolen catalytic converter would’ve been less distracting for me.

I related to the main character in many ways — perhaps too much.
I’m worried this show is going to bug me the way Law & Order bugs lawyers who watch.

It seems they could afford to pay a real-life single mom who is doing janitorial work on the set to be a consultant for the show.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I can not remember what the pair originally planned to do to the sister after they confronted her at her house, can someone please remind me.

I

You are right about all this--but I didn't care!  As to the sister, they did not say what they intended to do. They said that the killer sister felt bad about it, so they left her at the hideaway till they could figure out what to do.  They hadn't gone that far in figuring. 

Yeah, there were many plot holes, but I still thought it was fun. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 7

I saw the ad for this show and usually don’t stay up until 11 and thought this may be worth watching. I think it has room for improvement, but I liked the premise. I think Kaitlin did well as the lead actress and for now I’ll overlook the trope of her character not getting along with the detective she was assigned to work with. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Like 6
12 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

for now I’ll overlook the trope of her character not getting along with the detective she was assigned to work with. 

"Trope" indeed!
This setup is similar to The Closer and its spinoff, Major Crimes, as well as The Closer's predecessor,  Prime Suspect, and perhaps other shows. Interestingly, in this show and the other 3 I mentioned, the initial tension is mostly between a female lead character and a male secondary character, but I think maybe Tony Danza's Who's the Boss? flipped that script.

• Like 6

I've been seeing the ads for this in the past few weeks; didn't realize it started last night until I was watching Dancing with the Stars. Probably wouldn't have made a point of watching but since it was on next (and especially since my friend who I was texting with during Dancing said she was intrigued by this show when the ad came on) I figured I'd check it out. Glad I did; will watch again.

Though I admittedly am not totally clear on the murder plot and its participants. 

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The incongruity that jumped out at me was her bright blue fingernails after taking the teen daughter’s $4 lipgloss out of the shopping cart. Maybe we’re supposed to fanwank that she found the nail polish in the trash of an office where she was cleaning? Or did that happen and I missed it?

I just assumed that she knew exactly what she had to spend and didn't have a lot of room for extras that day. Obviously she and her daughter both use makeup so she must make room in the budget for buying it on occasion.

Just last week I delighted my 2½ year old grandson when we were playing “car” (he arranges parts of their sectional couch so I drive and he’s in the back seat, then we stop for various noisy animals crossing the “road”) by my repeatedly hopping out of the “car” after each animal crossing to pantomime raising the car hood, sticking a pencil in the carburetor flap, restarting the stalled car, removing the pencil, closing the hood, and then continuing our drive to Target (his favorite destination).

OMG, this is adorable!

Wikipedia essentially says carburetors went the way of the dinosaur after the 90s.

No; presumably not anywhere near new, but I'd think it unlikely that she'd have a car from the 90s at this point. A car that old would probably be more expensive on maintenance than getting a newer car.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

"Trope" indeed!
This setup is similar to The Closer and its spinoff, Major Crimes, as well as The Closer's predecessor,  Prime Suspect, and perhaps other shows. Interestingly, in this show and the other 3 I mentioned, the initial tension is mostly between a female lead character and a male secondary character, but I think maybe Tony Danza's Who's the Boss? flipped that script.

In two detective shows I can think of, Will Trent and The Mentalist, the "savant" is male . . .

• Useful 5

As a non-driver, for many years I used a shopping cart, but it was one I bought, not one I stole. You can buy them!

I think the show wanted to show her being a rule-breaker, though.

I found the hostility of the detective she was partnered with annoying. Yes, it's a trope. They varied from it by having the boss like her, and I think they are setting it up to be a gender-based issue (the women vs the dudes), but I guess we'll see if that holds.

The guy being so hostile that he didn't properly use her skills OR supervise her so she didn't deliver unusable evidence and otherwise violate procedures is also a device I find annoying. Of course you would train someone who you were going to have handling evidence and visiting crime scenes and interviewing suspects and family members of victims, but the show seems to want the rogue/chaos element along with the genius element.

I enjoyed that when the detective showed up while she was feeding the baby, she handed the baby to him and told him to do the feeding, and he did it. 

I also enjoyed how she was enjoying doing her cleaning job, and that her dancing was actually pretty fun, honestly. I wasn't totally cringing for her when they showed the security footage. She seems fairly happy, generally, which I find to be a relief after all the angsty characters we get offered these days.

Good Will Hunting was a movie about a janitor who was a genius, and I was thinking about that movie while watching this show. The genius character seems to be a popular device. We get it in medical shows, crime shows, sitcoms... I think this is the first time I've seen one where the genius is female, though.

I was enjoying how non-angsty the show is, but then they added the daughter who thinks dad abandoned her and that she's not special like her mom and brother, and Our Hero rejecting the job and then taking the job because of that missing dad. So we will be getting a dose of angst along with whatever shenanigans and chaos and genius beats the show also delivers.

• Like 12
4 minutes ago, possibilities said:

was enjoying how non-angsty the show is, but then they added the daughter who thinks dad abandoned her and that she's not special like her mom and brother, and Our Hero rejecting the job and then taking the job because of that missing dad. So we will be getting a dose of angst along with whatever shenanigans and chaos and genius beats the show also delivers.

Yes. I detest these kinds of angst-filled long story arcs, especially when there's a Big Bad involved. Maybe this show will do better with the long arc, but I'm not holding my breath for it.
Monk did it best, IMO. Maybe this will follow that model and not have the lost Dad story take over the whole show, but leave plenty of room for self-contained COTW episodes — hopefully with helpings of humor. If they get rid of the humor, I'm out.

• Like 6
44 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes. I detest these kinds of angst-filled long story arcs, especially when there's a Big Bad involved. Maybe this show will do better with the long arc, but I'm not holding my breath for it.
Monk did it best, IMO. Maybe this will follow that model and not have the lost Dad story take over the whole show, but leave plenty of room for self-contained COTW episodes — hopefully with helpings of humor. If they get rid of the humor, I'm out.

Yes, you're reminding me that The Mentalist also had a dead-wife story arc.  Oh, well.  As long as it does not take over like the Big Red story line there.  That's why I lost interest in The Mentalist after a couple of seasons. 

I was a little bothered by Morgan's being a genius and not being aware of the rules for search and seizure.  You don't even have to be a lawyer or a genius for that one.  You just have to watch TV shows.  I fault them for taking that from the French series, perhaps (which I have not watched yet--I watched about five minutes of the pilot just now).  French law is probably different. 

I did appreciate how smart she was at breaking into the safe. 

Will Trent, Mentalist, Elsbeth, etc. are not based on genius but rather quirky OCD ways of seeing things that others don't catch.  This seems to be combining both. 

The French show is listed as a comedy/crime story.  So I think they'll keep the humor, @shapeshifter

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

The star has a record as a comedy actress, and she is producing this, so I have high hopes:  The Mick (criminally unheralded and canceled), Always Sunny in Philadelphia (which I don't watch, but still) and Hacks (which I love).  Hacks finally wins a comedy Emmy beating out The Bear. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 8
  • Useful 2

Wild Card and Elsbeth, both of which premiered earlier this year, also have a quirky female consultant partnered with a buttoned up cop, although in WC she’s is a criminal and Elsbeth is a lawyer but out of the three, Elsbeth is the standout to me. The flip of the mystery and Elsbeth’s extra personality make that show so fun to watch.

Here, I don’t necessarily think they’re doing anything new or particularly interesting but there’s potential. I get that with procedurals, there’s a certain amount of expected predictability and cliche that comes with the territory, but the writing here felt more than a little dated and rote. Very reminiscent of the 2009-2013 era of detective dramas in the vein of Rizzoli & Isles, Psych, White Collar—just a very TNT/USA Network vibe. Tonally and character wise but also the lighting. Those shows are always so well lit and almost glib, even when they get dark subject wise. This series seems like it might be the same.   

Like others have mentioned, I also really liked that they didn’t go the insufferable, socially awkward, asshole, genius route. Most writers and actors can’t pull off the arrogant-yet-charming thing and I tend to lose patience with ‘genius jerks’ even when they’re helpful. I haven’t seen the lead in anything else but I thought the actress was believable and charming and I’m always game for a brilliant, highly perceptive, female lead, especially one that’s self assured and personable. The conversation she has with the Lieutenant explaining her gift came off more like someone who’s tired of explaining their situation rather than just an obvious exposition dump.

And Judy Reyes is also good if underused in this, although I would’ve preferred her as the partner over the lead guy, who will always be the macho nurse from Grey’s Anatomy to me. He did fine with the material but I felt that his lines more than anyone else’s, were the most bland & filled with stock phrases. But I’m also not a fan of the quirky/serious dynamic in procedurals, especially between men and women. I know a lot of people like to see the gruffer partner come around but its rare that actors have enough chemistry to make me feel like I’m watching a fresh take on a worn dynamic; more often than not it  feels like a slog waiting for the other person to clue in. Characters that click and have a fond back and forth are so much more entertaining imo. Skip to the begrudging respect and witty banter I say.

But it’s a promising start and the fact that I can actually see what’s onscreen is a bonus. Sounds like a given, but a lot of shows are so visually dark these days—tried the Criminal Minds reboot and it’s particularly egregious about this you’d think it was filmed through blackout curtains in a shadowy alley—so High Potential gets extra points for not forcing me to squint for an hour. 

• Like 8

I loved it!

I'm not sure how realistic it is, but as I've said regarding other shows, realism generally takes a back seat to entertaining me...and I was entertained.

What also takes a back seat is the whole "it's been done before" argument.  What hasn't?  It's how each show handles it and, ultimately, how much they entertained me.

Being someone that likes procedurals and can get annoyed sometimes with the personal lives of the characters, I actually liked her family and her (and the cop's) interactions with them.  It was fun and not overdone.

I don't know if I even saw any commercials for this show, but I was going through the guide, deciding what to record, and decided on this one.  Of course, I also decided to record one episode of Baywatch2.0, so I wasn't being picky looking for new shows, but this one paid off.  

Looking forward to more episodes!

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I was confused by the "all churches face East" thing. In my town, all the churches, no matter the denomination, face North or South because the major streets all run East/West. Did I miss something in her explanation?

Edited by anniebird

I really enjoyed this and hope it does well. I don't watch Always Sunny but I feel like this actress gets left out of media stuff a lot in favor of the guys so I like that she's branching out.

One thing that did bother me and I wish they'd either addressed (or rewritten if it came from the original (I'm watching that pilot now and, except for one added scene, it's been almost word for word the same, at least up until they get off the bus)) is how sexist the cops were when she was trying to leave with her ex. She was right to call them out for only talking to the man and telling him to get her out of there. She shouldn't have started hitting them but I understand why.

• Like 9

Just watched it and loved it but I'm a huge Kaitlyn Olsen fan (The Mick was criminally underrated and IASIP may be one of my favorite shows ever) so that's not surprising. I didn't hate the kids and the ten girl post annoying so even more pluses. 

The church thing is not correct. The one I grew up in faces north as do quite a few in my town. It kind of seemed like they were maybe amending that the East thing was more Catholic so.... Who knows.

• Like 5
14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I was also taken out of the scene by the anachronous carburetor that needed replacing which was supposed to be why they were currently without a car.  
This was based upon my real-life single-mom-to-3-kids power-move in the 90s with a ’75 Chevy.
A stolen catalytic converter would’ve been less distracting for me.

I had a 71 Dodge Dart that would stall every time it was cold. I used a small ice scraper to open the flap.  And it always happened at 11 at night when I got off work, in a bad neighborhood.

I liked this show for the most part.  Most churches I've been in don't even have a window, behind the pastor, to let the sun in.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, anniebird said:

I was confused by the "all churches face East" thing. In my town, all the churches, no matter the denomination, face North or South because the major streets all run East/West. Did I miss something in her explanation?

I think at one one point she said something about the 18th century, so maybe it's more true about older churches or ones that were rebuilt on the same grounds.

4 minutes ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

This show reminds me of Unforgettable. Morgan Gillory behaves like Carrie Wells does. Both protagonists have their own uniqueness & also unappealing qualities particularly the performative behavior.

This show isn’t for me. Am out.

I didn't watch Unforgettable, but I was wondering what qualities you find unappealing in Morgan.  I'm not arguing, just wondering.  I didn't really notice anything that bugged me.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it.  Not every show is for everyone.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, howiveaddict said:

Most churches I've been in don't even have a window, behind the pastor, to let the sun in.

The church I went to as a kid has the organ pipes behind the altar (the front ones are decorative and the real ones are hidden behind them). There are two or three arched windows on that wall to the left (which look onto the side of the pastor's house next door), with the choir loft on the right side, and a row of stained glass windows along the right side of the sanctuary, which is actually the front wall of the building. It's on an east-west street, so if I'm orienting myself correctly, the church itself faces south and the altar/pulpit would face west, so the sunrise would technically be behind the pastor...but you wouldn't be able to see it. It was built in the late 1800s, though, so maybe back then it was different (pretty sure the organ was built in the 1950s). (It's a Methodist church, FWIW.)

11 minutes ago, Johannah said:

I think at one one point she said something about the 18th century, so maybe it's more true about older churches or ones that were rebuilt on the same grounds.

They're in LA, right? Maybe it's a Catholic mission thing..?

• Like 1

Whoo, I had to turn on close captioning a few times because Morgan talked so damn fast, I couldn’t figure out what she was saying. That said, I liked it. Slow down her cadence when she’s word vomiting her lines and I’ll be good.

With the comparisons to previous procedural, I was kind of reminded of Castle. Consultant with a unique perspective, reluctant partner being paired by the boss. Tragic backstory mystery as the overlying arc. 

• Like 6

Watched for Judy Reyes. Staying for Kaitlin Olson and Judy Reyes.

So far I agree with the reviews that pretty much say "This show is average and inoffensive."

Hopefully it gets better in the coming episodes so it doesn't get canned and keeps me interested

• Like 6
17 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

In two detective shows I can think of, Will Trent and The Mentalist, the "savant" is male . . .

5 hours ago, DMK said:

I was kind of reminded of Castle.

14 hours ago, babyrambo said:

Very reminiscent of the 2009-2013 era of detective dramas in the vein of Rizzoli & Isles, Psych, White Collar

On 9/17/2024 at 6:42 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

This👆 NY Times article by a youthful theater critic by the name of Alexis Soloski describes the show as “A procedural in the vein of ‘Columbo’ or ‘Murder, She Wrote.’”
This Pilot's plot was pretty thin in comparison to Columbo or Murder, She Wrote, but I guess that's sort of necessary for a pilot.

The second episode will be pretty crucial to whether or not I will continue. 

• Like 6
27 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

How likely is it that Morgan would be completely alone working at night in a busy metropolitan police station. I would have guessed that the majority of crimes happen at night and the place would be very busy.

Good point. I still watch Barney Miller reruns which are set in NYC and frequently have night shift stories with the detectives.
Of course, Barney Miller was in the 70s…

• Like 3
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

How likely is it that Morgan would be completely alone working at night in a busy metropolitan police station. I would have guessed that the majority of crimes happen at night and the place would be very busy.

Unlikely, of course, there would always be three shifts in a large city.  Oh, well. 

• Like 3

I thought this was kind of clunky. I understand a pilot has a lot of table setting to do but it took on a lot, between establishing the leads, the angsty teen daughter, the ex husband, the missing father, and the friendly neighbor on top of the case of the week. I feel like some of this could have been developed more organically in later episodes. 

But I do like Kaitlin Olson so I'll keep watching for now.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Yeah, I kind of figured a police station as a 24 hr kind of place, but then Morgan wouldn't have been able to look at the files... And as I said, entertain me first, realism second.

I'm also not sure how seriously this show is going to take itself, so it might be consciously overlooking details to further the story.  I guess I expect a little more realism with shows like the FBIs.

5 hours ago, DMK said:

Yeah, I was like, maybe there’s just nobody on that specific floor at night or… oh, I don’t care…

Exactly.  

• Like 3
On 9/18/2024 at 9:32 AM, possibilities said:

Good Will Hunting was a movie about a janitor who was a genius, and I was thinking about that movie while watching this show.

That thought crossed my mind to when she wrote 'victim' on their board.  As she was cleaning up the office and dancing around, that reminded me of Katie Holmes' character in the movie Mad Money.  Her character in general reminds me of Julia Roberts as Erin Brockovich.  I feel like that's kind of the image they're going for:  A smart, down-on-her-luck woman with 3 kids, whose neighbor watches said kids, suddenly one-ups all of the professionals with no legal background whatsoever and solves a murder!  

21 hours ago, ams1001 said:

It was built in the late 1800s, though, so maybe back then it was different (pretty sure the organ was built in the 1950s).

I'm curious if that was a thing back then, but one thing I've heard about, is that cemeteries face east because the belief is that when Christ returns, it will be from the East and the dead will rise to meet him. ( Matthew 24:27  For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.)  Not sure if that would be the reason a church would be facing east too, but I know of many churches not facing that way.  I've seen many cemeteries facing east though, so I think that's accurate. 

I'll give this show a chance.  It's great to see Judy Reyes again.  It was driving me nuts trying to remember where I've seen the male detective (Daniel Sunjata), and then I realized he was once on an episode of Sex and the City. He played a sailor.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
18 minutes ago, Chit Chat said:

I'll give this show a chance.  It's great to see Judy Reyes again.  It was driving me nuts trying to remember where I've seen the male detective (Daniel Sunjata), and then I realized he was once on an episode of Sex and the City. He played a sailor.  

He was fashion designer James Holt in The Devil Wears Prada.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

He was fashion designer James Holt in The Devil Wears Prada.

Thanks!!  I forgot about that role!  I haven't seen him in anything else since then, but I don't watch a lot of movies, so I probably missed him somewhere along the way. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Chit Chat said:

Thanks!!  I forgot about that role!  I haven't seen him in anything else since then, but I don't watch a lot of movies, so I probably missed him somewhere along the way. 

He's got a bunch of movies, most of which I'm not familiar with, and a bunch of TV roles. A recurring role as a nurse in a couple seasons of Grey's Anatomy (including a fling with Dr. Bailey, which I do not remember at all), a few in Law & Order and L&O:SVU, and a bunch of things I've either not heard of or just didn't watch.

• Like 1
On 9/18/2024 at 9:03 PM, callie lee 29 said:

The church thing is not correct. The one I grew up in faces north as do quite a few in my town. It kind of seemed like they were maybe amending that the East thing was more Catholic so.... Who knows.

I was always taught that it was cathedrals that face east, i.e., the altar end is to the east, because that's where Jerusalem is. But even this varies--St. Patrick's and the Cathedral of St. John the Divine both face south-east.

• Useful 2