Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, chaifan said:

I'm seeing a bit more opening for Sazz's death to have been faked, but I'm still hung up on the issue I posted about last week...  There is no point for Sazz to have faked being shot, falling to the ground, bleeding, etc. when there was no one to see it.  I am stuck on this, and just don't see a way of them writing around this.  But as I said, I'm willing to be proven wrong.

If it's not a "faked" death, then it could be that Sazz went into hiding (although she looked very injured to me) because she wants everyone to think she's dead (especially the murderer) while she recovers and continues sleuthing, OR someone is holding her prisoner. It's possible that the shooter came to the apartment, saw she was not yet dead, and took her away. Or some other happening we've not been privy to. This episode certainly brought up the idea of her still being alive with the "not turning to dust" and "no body, no funeral" so it's fair to say the writers are at least trying to plant the idea.

As far as Bev Melon, she seems rather obvious to me, but then, I never picked up on Jan until the 8th episode, or Poppy, or Cliff and Donna (I really did not want them to be the ones, either), so I'm pretty bad at spotting the murderer. Looking forward to the next episode for more information on Bev.

And I loved Paul Rudd in this episode. I thought it was brilliant to bring him back and reinforce the theme of doubles. He could mean nothing to the central story or everything (which is what I hope) but we will have to wait and see.☺️

• Like 2

hammy could be a very rich piggy. 

https://nysba.org/legalease-animal-law-in-new-york-state/

Estate, Powers and Trusts § 7-8.1

Trusts For Pets

A trust for the care of a designated domestic or pet animal is The intended use of the principal or income may be enforced by an individual designated for that purpose in the trust instrument or, if none, by an individual appointed by a court upon application to it by an individual, or by a trustee. Such trust shall terminate when the living animal beneficiary or beneficiaries of such trust are no longer alive.

Except as expressly provided otherwise in the trust instrument, no portion of the principal or income may be converted to the use of the trustee or to any use other than for the benefit of all covered

Upon termination, the trustee shall transfer the unexpended trust property as directed in the trust instrument or, if there are no such directions in the trust instrument, the property shall pass to the estate of the grantor.

A court may reduce the amount of the property transferred if it determines that amount substantially exceeds the amount required for the intended

The amount of the reduction, if any, passes as unexpended trust property pursuant to paragraph

(c) of this section.

(e) If no trustee is designated or no designated trustee is willing or able to serve, a court shall appoint a trustee and may make such other orders and determinations as are advisable to carry out the intent of the transferor and the purpose of this section.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 9/5/2024 at 10:05 AM, peeayebee said:

Loved Peter O'Toole in that, but then I've loved him in everything.

I doubt there will be any connection other than that Sazz was a stunt person. There wasn't much of a connection betw the title of the last ep (Gates of Heaven) and the episode, was there? The cremated ashes, mourning the dead. That was it.

The other connection is that The Stuntman was filmed at the iconic Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego, which could be seen as a parallel to the Arconia.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Someone wanted Howard out of the apartment which is why the flyer was put under the door. They knew he'd go for it. Who would be behind that other than Bev? I think that was a fake audition designed to get him out of the apartment so the Westies could get back in there. There was no part available. I find the whole thing suspicious. Then when Mabel walked in and found the Westies in there they acted like they had no idea she was squatting there beforehand. Yeah, right. 😏 The Westies had to know Mabel and Howard were there because it's too coincidental that they just happened to show up the moment no one's there.

I assumed the Westies slid the flier under the door because they wanted in.  They knew about the movie because it was Oliver and Mabel's cover when they met them.  They could have grabbed a legit flier and just made sure Howard saw it.  And the Brothers Sisters did let Howard read for a part (and ultimately turned him down) and he read for himself only to be told he was being played by Josh Gad.

2 hours ago, chaifan said:

I don't understand "living like a King in Portugal" when he's only collecting $800/month in rent from these guys (collectively).  Why wouldn't he charge more than that?  Didn't someone say those hams are $1,000+?  He's spending more on the ham than he's collecting in rent.

I would assume the cost of living in Portugal (especially outside the cities) would be much lower than living in NYC.  And who knows what else he's involved in.  Sazz seemed to be looking into something related to him.  Could that be what got her killed?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, chaifan said:

I'm seeing a bit more opening for Sazz's death to have been faked, but I'm still hung up on the issue I posted about last week...  There is no point for Sazz to have faked being shot, falling to the ground, bleeding, etc. when there was no one to see it.  I am stuck on this, and just don't see a way of them writing around this.

I also have problems accepting that Sazz faked her death because we and only we saw her shot and bleeding and writing the message in blood. Yes, I suppose she could have been taken away somewhere and is still alive, but I hope that's not the case. I really like the character and Jane Lynch, but I just think it would be too deceptive of the writers to show her being shot, then her cremated remains, then the imaginings by Charles of her after-death being... all of that and then TA-DA! She's really alive!

I don't understand "living like a King in Portugal" when he's only collecting $800/month in rent from these guys (collectively).  Why wouldn't he charge more than that?  Didn't someone say those hams are $1,000+?  He's spending more on the ham than he's collecting in rent.  And then there's the empty run down apartment.  And the pig.  So, yeah, there's something going on there, but again, I haven't a clue at this time as to what.

As someone else posted, it's possible that Dudenoff has other sources of income. Also, it's possible that the Westies have been given false info. Maybe they really believe that he's living like a king, but he's not or he's dead and someone is pretending to be him.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Am I the only one that assumes it was her relationship with Jan that Sazz found difficult (or was trying to leave. I can't remember how they phrased it).  

I wonder if all the Westies think they've met Dudenoff, but that they've all just met actors that the real Dudenoff hired (to what end, I have no idea, but I kinda feel like this is a "man behind the curtain" situation).

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
48 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

Am I the only one that assumes it was her relationship with Jan that Sazz found difficult (or was trying to leave. I can't remember how they phrased it).  

I wonder if all the Westies think they've met Dudenoff, but that they've all just met actors that the real Dudenoff hired (to what end, I have no idea, but I kinda feel like this is a "man behind the curtain" situation).

No it is quite possible Jan told that she was escaping to Sazz and demanded help and an incident of running off together. Meanwhile Sazz was planning to retire to a fixed rural location. 

it is also possible dudenoff is—-well my current vote is Richard Kind’s character. They don’t know but he wants his friends to play cards. Friends. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, chaifan said:

II don't understand "living like a King in Portugal" when he's only collecting $800/month in rent from these guys (collectively).  Why wouldn't he charge more than that?  Didn't someone say those hams are $1,000+?  He's spending more on the ham than he's collecting in rent.

The Westies said that Dudenoff has a whole lot of units in the building, not just the ones we've seen. Presumably most of the renters are paying a lot. Dudenoff just gives a huge discount to the renters who are helping with the scheme.

I was surprised to hear that Helga is apparently Finnish. She sounded a lot more German than Finnish to me. I doubt that's any kind of clue, though. Hollywood rarely concerns itself with such distinctions.

I keep hoping they aren't going down the "Sazz is alive" route, because they already did a "Ben is still alive!" twist last season (and then tried to make us think he was alive again in this episode).

And I hope Bev (or any other character) didn't kill Sazz in order to get material for a movie. That would be too similar to season two, where the killers murdered Bunny so that they could make a podcast about it.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
40 minutes ago, roseha said:

I should probably listen again but did anyone else think that Helga, or the voice over the shortwave, sounded like Jane Lynch?

I listened again and it didn't sound like Sazz to me. It sounded like an actress doing a poor accent to be honest.

On 9/17/2024 at 2:56 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Ben Glenroy might be dead and buried, but he lives on via his stunt double!  Who ends up being Paul Rudd again, but this time with a comedically horrible Irish accent! 

Wasn't there a lot of speculation last season that Ben Glenroy has an identical twin?  I thought this was a callback to that.

On 9/17/2024 at 1:18 PM, peeayebee said:

I'm curious about the audition flyer slipped under Dudenoff's door. I really didn't expect there to be an actual audition. Did one of the Westies slip it under the door so they could get inside? Or did one of the movie people (Bev or the Brother Sisters?) do that? Did we know they were going to be in NY?

Since the flyer didn't have a time, place or contact info on it, I don't know how anyone was expected to act on it, or how Howard knew how to do so.

On 9/17/2024 at 5:41 PM, Yeah No said:

Anyway, I have to watch it over again because I'm not sure I got it right, but my understanding (if the Westies are telling the truth) is that Dudenoff rented or is still renting all those apartments under rent control guidelines and because he didn't need all of them and lived overseas he was willing to let the Westies live there for a nominal amount per month (illegally of course).

I don't see how he would have more than one rent-controlled apartment.

As I recall, Monica's apartment in Friends was originally her grandmother's, and was rent-controlled.  Monica illegally sublet it from her which is how Monica could afford it.  (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

On 9/18/2024 at 9:30 AM, peeayebee said:

Re Paul Rudd's bad Irish accent: I figure that's intentional. That he keeps saying "feckin'" is a cliche and meant to be funny. I think the show knows the accent is bad, and that's part of the comedy.

Certainly.  Like biting into the discarded fruit from the dumpster.  I thought it was also intentionally obvious when he was replaced by a stunt man during the "performance" of his stunts.  The whole thing was meant to be absurd.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I hope that Hammy has been litter trained (we haven't seen a box), or having her undiapered on a bed is a really bad idea.

Did anyone else notice in the flashback how little Sazz resembled Charles as Brazzos (when they both had brown hair) ?  She was also significantly taller.

On 9/18/2024 at 10:53 AM, cardigirl said:

If it's not a "faked" death, then it could be that Sazz went into hiding (although she looked very injured to me) because she wants everyone to think she's dead (especially the murderer) while she recovers and continues sleuthing, OR someone is holding her prisoner. It's possible that the shooter came to the apartment, saw she was not yet dead, and took her away. Or some other happening we've not been privy to. This episode certainly brought up the idea of her still being alive with the "not turning to dust" and "no body, no funeral" so it's fair to say the writers are at least trying to plant the idea.

Yes, I've written that I thought maybe Sazz went into hiding fearing danger and suspecting who was behind it or was being held prisoner by someone. I theorized that was Bev Melon who I think might have faked her death.

Or it could have been someone she called while lying there. We didn't see her die. The last thing we saw her do is try to write in blood on the floor. She could have called someone for help and they could have gotten her medical attention. I think that could have been Dr. Maggie, who while not a medical Dr. could still have a PhD. Chiropractors study and can know a lot about the human body. She could have gotten her medical help or given it to her herself. BUT if Dr. Maggie was in a relationship with Sazz that went South she could actually be the murderer and Sazz is actually dead. OR she could have come over upon Sazz calling her under the false pretense of helping her but instead siezed upon the opportunity to finish her off and take her body to the incinerator.

1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I don't see how he would have more than one rent-controlled apartment.

I don't either because it would likely be against rent stabilization laws in NYC for several rent controlled apartments to be leased under the same name to a tenant that only lives in one of them. But that's the story they told Mabel, and it may not be the truth. Either it's not true and they're lying for a reason or iit's what they were told and they don't know any better OR whoever "Dudenoff" is found a way around those laws.

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Did anyone else notice in the flashback how little Sazz resembled Charles as Brazzos (when they both had brown hair) ?  She was also significantly taller.

Like Paul Rudd as the Irish stunt double, I think they're going for the absurd.  Also, it might be a dig at stuntmen of the time - there were very few women in the field and most actresses had male stunt "doubles".  They looked nothing like them, body shape was completely different, just threw on a blonde or brunette wig on them and said "good enough!". 

The "feckin'" and bad Irish accent reminds me a bit of Outlander (unpopular opinion here, possibly).  I think there should be a drinking game with that show where you drink every time they say "ken" or "bairn".  It's like those were the only two old Scottish words the author knew.

8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

maybe Sazz went into hiding fearing danger

But Gravey caught a cadaver scent all the way into the basement/incinerator room, and there was the prosthetic in the incinerator.  Gravey may not be the best cadaver dog, but dead bodies smell different than live bodies.

Again, is it possible for this whole thing to be faked?  Maybe.  But they're going to have to come up with something feckin' brilliant for me not to be throwing things at my tv if they go that way.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
10 minutes ago, chaifan said:

But Gravey caught a cadaver scent all the way into the basement/incinerator room, and there was the prosthetic in the incinerator.  Gravey may not be the best cadaver dog, but dead bodies smell different than live bodies.

Again, is it possible for this whole thing to be faked?  Maybe.  But they're going to have to come up with something feckin' brilliant for me not to be throwing things at my tv if they go that way.

Same here! 

12 minutes ago, chaifan said:

Details, details, LOL. 😉 If someone wanted her to look dead they could have finagled a way to fool the dog. I still think it's very suspicious that a so-called cadaver dog should just happen show up at the precise moment they need one. That she's a cadaver dog is 3rd hand information and could have been fed to Howard after the murder just to throw us off. Didn't he come up with that information after the fact? I seem to remember that he didn't know what kind of "working girl" she was at first. It smells of a setup (pun intended)! 😉 The "fooler" could have put another scent at the scene and then tracked it to the incinerator (bacon 🥓, maybe?) and what dog wouldn't follow that?

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
8 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

If someone wanted her to look dead they could have finagled a way to fool the dog. 

Gravey's in on it! And where is Gravey? Howard has discarded Gravey and taken up with Hammy. Howard better watch out. Gravey better not be a jealous doggy.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Gravey's in on it! And where is Gravey? Howard has discarded Gravey and taken up with Hammy. Howard better watch out. Gravey better not be a jealous doggy.

Or maybe the "fake" murderer put someone else's ashes at the scene to fool Gravey and those were the ashes in the incinerator. Or maybe the body that was put in the incinerator was Dudenoff's. Someone could have had a falling out with him/her and that's the real "murder in the building" (there are many suspects and motives for THAT for us to speculate on). Maybe they swapped a ringer for a ringer, LOL (Big Lebowski reference).

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
17 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Or maybe the "fake" murderer put someone else's ashes at the scene to fool Gravey and those were the ashes in the incinerator. Or maybe the body that was put in the incinerator was Dudenoff's. Someone could have had a falling out with him/her and that's the real "murder in the building" (there are many suspects and motives for THAT for us to speculate on). Maybe they swapped a ringer for a ringer, LOL (Big Lebowski reference).

Here's another possibility - the real murder may not have been Dudenoff, but someone in the West building that was asking too many questions and maybe eventually figured out the illegal renting scheme. They may have demanded to be cut in for a lot of money or spill the beans and got murdered because of that. It would tie in with Helga's comment that the last person asking those questions got themselves killed so there is that. But it could have been their body in the incinerator and the ashes were put near where Sazz had laid to throw the dog off. Our trio may not know yet who the person was that was really murdered or that anyone not Sazz was murdered in the building at all. 

• Like 1

Concerning cadaver dogs:

How long after death can a cadaver dog detect?

Dogs are able to pick up a scent within minutes of death or years later. In some studies, they have found 25-year-old skeletonized remains, buried in an area of 300 by 150 feet.

How effective are cadaver dogs?

A trained cadaver dog is 95 percent effective at picking up the scents of human decomposition, including bodies that are buried up to 15 feet deep. Law enforcement groups rely on cadaver dogs to help solve crimes where a dead body is suspected.

Howard told Mabel that Gravey was a cadaver dog when she corrected his spelling of gravy. Then she remembered how Gravey acted in the kitchen when they first met the dog and when they went back to the Arconia to confirm their suspicions about why they couldn't reach Sazz, they must have asked Howard to meet them there, to see if Gravey reacted again.

Only time will tell (and viewing more episodes) if this is an elaborate setup in someway or more straightforward. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
22 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

Concerning cadaver dogs:

How long after death can a cadaver dog detect?

Dogs are able to pick up a scent within minutes of death or years later. In some studies, they have found 25-year-old skeletonized remains, buried in an area of 300 by 150 feet.

How effective are cadaver dogs?

A trained cadaver dog is 95 percent effective at picking up the scents of human decomposition, including bodies that are buried up to 15 feet deep. Law enforcement groups rely on cadaver dogs to help solve crimes where a dead body is suspected.

Howard told Mabel that Gravey was a cadaver dog when she corrected his spelling of gravy. Then she remembered how Gravey acted in the kitchen when they first met the dog and when they went back to the Arconia to confirm their suspicions about why they couldn't reach Sazz, they must have asked Howard to meet them there, to see if Gravey reacted again.

Only time will tell (and viewing more episodes) if this is an elaborate setup in someway or more straightforward. 

Honestly if Sazz was dragged immediately to the incinerator the dog might smell blood, not  the decomposition of her flesh. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

LOL! I may have finally met my match WRT runaway imagination and speculation!
😄🤣😂

• LOL 1

Upon thinking over Bev Melon, she may have staged Sazz's death to protect her because Sazz knew she was in danger. Or someone did it for those reasons. 

1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

LOL! I may have finally met my match WRT runaway imagination and speculation!
😄🤣😂

True that! But last season your runaway speculation turned out to be correct!

I have to go out now, more later.

• Like 1

The “Let's Solve ONLY MURDERS IN THE BUILDING season 4 episode 3” podcast for last week's episode suggests that maybe an Arconia resident moved the body prevent police attention, because a resident would be familiar with the furnaces etc.
In earlier seasons the residents didn't want murder associated with the Arconia lest it affect property values and status. But then the podcast made it seem more glamorous, IIRC. But maybe now someone wanting to sell their apartment would prefer there be no more dead bodies discovered.

Here's the "Let's Solve" podcast for this episode:
https://youtu.be/x0o5YqeZ8Ns

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1

My money is on Howard being the murderer. The incinerator use implies it’s a resident. He seems jealous when the trio gets close to anyone. I think he could be sociopath who committed a murder as a way to bond with the trio and “assist” them with solving the crime as a way to bond and become one of the gang. That’s why he brought a cadaver dog to the apartment. There’s a lot of focus on him in the opening credits for the past two seasons. I think he plays a bigger role than just the whacky lonely neighbor.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
38 minutes ago, Aileen said:

My money is on Howard being the murderer. The incinerator use implies it’s a resident. He seems jealous when the trio gets close to anyone. I think he could be sociopath who committed a murder as a way to bond with the trio and “assist” them with solving the crime as a way to bond and become one of the gang. That’s why he brought a cadaver dog to the apartment. There’s a lot of focus on him in the opening credits for the past two seasons. I think he plays a bigger role than just the whacky lonely neighbor.

Oh dear

3 hours ago, Aileen said:

As much as I would love for this to be true, as I am not a fan of Howard, he seems to be beloved by the audience, so I could see him as the next victim for next season, but I don't think he's the murderer. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, cardigirl said:

As much as I would love for this to be true, as I am not a fan of Howard, he seems to be beloved by the audience, so I could see him as the next victim for next season, but I don't think he's the murderer. 

I love Howard and it would break my heart if he was the murderer.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Suzn said:

I love Howard and it would break my heart if he was the murderer.

I love Howard, too. But I think it would be a good twist.

This season feels very weird, though, to me. There’s so much that’s unclear and we’re almost halfway through the season. It feels like we’re just meandering along. Last season there were legitimately sketchy suspects. This season, we have Westies and their meat and Molly Shannon whose just not the murderer.

10 hours ago, Aileen said:

You know I thought about all that for a while but I don't want to think the show would go there with Howard. We already lost Bunny before we really got to know her and that was bad enough. I want to think it's another red herring that they're throwing out there to make him look guilty. I'd rather think some crazy, devious mastermind deceived him about the dog or made sure he got that specific dog to throw both us and our trio off.

Actually I forget which season it was in now, but I thought they were making him look guilty in a former season too, although not as guilty as this.

1 hour ago, Aileen said:

This season feels very weird, though, to me. There’s so much that’s unclear and we’re almost halfway through the season. It feels like we’re just meandering along. Last season there were legitimately sketchy suspects. This season, we have Westies and their meat and Molly Shannon whose just not the murderer.

I know what you mean. I keep thinking that we're this close to some big plot twist or new lead that really moves things along. Bev showing up in that shed might be the thing that does it.

17 hours ago, Aileen said:

My money is on Howard being the murderer. The incinerator use implies it’s a resident.

I don't think so. I assume people familiar with old buildings would expect an incinerator. Wasn't that a normal feature of old buildings? I admit I could be mistaken. Anyway, someone merely visiting the building could have seen it or they knew a resident who mentioned it. 

6 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Is there someone here who is good at anagrams?  Just wondering if "M Dudenoff" can be made into something else.

A while back I looked at "Bev Melon" as an anagram. I came up with something like "love ben m." So what about "M love Ben?" as in M Dudenoff loved Ben? Maybe that's why Paul Rudd appeared again on the show. So could Bev Melon have been in love with Ben? And she's the mysterious Dudenoff? Whoa, I think I'm off in la-la land.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I don't think so. I assume people familiar with old buildings would expect an incinerator. Wasn't that a normal feature of old buildings? I admit I could be mistaken. Anyway, someone merely visiting the building could have seen it or they knew a resident who mentioned it. 

Good point and yes an incinerator in an old building was very common and anyone in NYC or beyond could have known about that and that they weren't used anymore. But I wonder if they would have also have to know how to turn it on, etc., and how easy that would have been for just anyone to figure out. Although again, it didn't have to be someone living in the building. But even if it was a resident that doesn't mean it was Howard. There are too many other suspects with better motives for murder than Howard in the building (AKA the Westies who had motive to murder to keep their dirt cheap rents).

• Like 1
(edited)

I think this show is pretty good about us being able to take the explanation for red herring clues at face value, so the crossed out photo last week likely was Christmas Guy’s Finnish girlfriend, who was ex-communicated from the group. Though my elaborate theory of Helga being Sazz’s “Perfect Strangers” cousin that she would return playing was off, in a twist, we did get Paul Rudd back playing a different character, so the Perfect Strangers montage was probably a tip-off to that. Ben Glenroy’s old stunt double’s “audition” had me cracking up. When he rolled over that car, it was giving me flashbacks of playing Dukes of Hazard when I was 6—I had a similar technique over my mom’s car. Otherwise I really have no new theories at this point. Bev Melon with a gun is too obvious, so I think we can rule her out entirely.

Edited by JenE4